Crisis, averted: USPS to destroy “Let’s move!” stamps over safety concerns?

posted at 8:01 pm on October 10, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Well, that was certainly a close call. Via the Daily Caller:

The U.S. Postal Service tabled its first lady Michelle Obama-inspired physical activity stamp series due to safety concerns, a Postal Service spokesman confirmed to The Daily Caller Thursday. …

According to a report from Linn’s Stamp News, however, two White House entities — the President’s Council on Fitness Sports and Nutrition and the Let’s Move campaign — raised concerns about three of the 15 the stamps in the series, due to the potentially unsafe depictions on them.

A Postal Service source told Linn’s that USPS was confronted with the objections when it sought out first lady Michelle Obama’s participation in the roll-out ceremony for the series, which was supposed to take place in May. …

There are some conflicting reports over whether the stamps have already been destroyed or if the USPS has yet to make a final decision over the series’ fate, but they must have pictured some pretty gnarly or offensive pictures to warrant such attention, right?

Officials were apparently most profoundly concerned with the stamps that depicted a child doing a handstand without a helmet, another with someone doing a cannonball into a swimming pool, and one with a skateboarder — sans kneepads. Who does that?

JustMove-Forever-pane15-v3

Yes, now that you mention it — I do see how children might see these stamps and be influenced into doing headstands without helmets (the hazard of which, as we’re all most certainly well aware, are completely unacceptable).

…This was almost a palate-cleanser, until it wasn’t.

Comments

There will be no rousing game of centrifugal bumble-puppy in democrat utopia.

And I hate gammas. gammas wear green.

Murphy9 on October 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Gymnasts wear helmets?

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Is the cannonball guy wearing a swimsuit or a loincloth?

BuckeyeSam on October 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM

To be replaced by a post-game tunnel and the caption, “Everyone gets a trophy!”

BuckeyeSam on October 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM

a child doing a handstand without a helmet

like, say, in gymnastics?

John the Libertarian on October 10, 2013 at 8:10 PM

You beat me to it Mrs. Munford.

John the Libertarian on October 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Show of hands: speechless sighs. Anyone? Just curious.

Axe on October 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM

They didn’t flag the one playing baseball without full body armor?

backwoods conservative on October 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Is the cannonball guy wearing a swimsuit or a loincloth?

BuckeyeSam on October 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM

First place, for a properly done cannonball you go into the water butt first, not knees first, as depicted. And, if Moochelle were to do one properly …

Of course, the whole idea of such stamps is about as foolish as you can get.

TXUS on October 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Looks like the cannonball dude has a load in his diaper.

kh6zv9 on October 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM

How did humanity make it this far without requiring helmets for headstands?

JetBoy on October 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM

These people are completely mental…they have no self awareness of their absurd actions…they are the pure definition of tragicomedy.

Alinsky on October 10, 2013 at 8:21 PM

LOL. But the cartwheel without the helmet was fine … Shooting hoops without a helmet? What’s up with that? Heck, standing without a helmet is something the leftist turds want to do away with. Helmet laws!!! Just think of the tickets the cops could write for those! And it’s all in pursuit of your well-being!

another with someone doing a cannonball into a swimming pool,

Without a helmet?? That water is dangerous stuff. Cannonballs, of course, are armaments and nothing with the word cannonball in it or depicting anything associated with a cannonball can be allowed.

and one with a skateboarder — sans kneepads. Who does that?

The MSM have cornered the market on kneepads. There aren’t any left for the chillen!!

That skateboarder’s pants aren’t baggy enough, anyway. Clearly, that’s a fake.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on October 10, 2013 at 8:21 PM

These know-it-alls are not going to stop until they ruin everything that’s fun for children. Of course, they can bang their head or scrape their knees, it’s part of growing up.
How many adults don’t have a scar here, or there, from some childhood mishap; not many.
Let them have fun, get dirty, fall down, or share an ice cream cone with Fido, life gets serious all too soon.

srdem65 on October 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM

John the Libertarian on October 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Let me savor the moment, it won’t happen very often.

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Good f***ing riddance – in no way shape or form should the government tell the citizenry what to do, when, or how to do anything. Get back to running the government and commanding the military, thank you very much.

The Nerve on October 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM

They actually missed the biggest grievance of all. There are no people of color depicted. For shame!

StrawMan on October 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM

a child doing a handstand without a helmet

But batting without a helmet … Cool. It’s only a girl doing it, anyway, so the pitcher can’t throw fast enough to hurt her. Now, if it were Butch Kagan doing some of her fast-pitch softball, she could bean that kid and fracture an eye socket, no problem. Luckily, Butch is busy on the SCOTASS and hasn’t got time to hammer girl batters with her blazing softball beaners.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on October 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Have we stopped sending tax dollars to Pakistan…………..?

dmann on October 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM

My God, not one of those kids is wrapped in bubble wrap!

In the late 1960s I rode in the way back part of my parents’ VW bug. Today they’d be arrested for that, with my sisters and wards of The State.

rbj on October 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Thank goodness we have the USPS to protect America’s children.

Why does Big Mo want children to be injured and die? She is pure evil.

Pork-Chop on October 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Interestingly enough, I almost hit my head on a wall today trying to do a handstand, but from what I understand it is tough to actually succeed in doing so.

Just as a matter of simple logic, wouldn’t a helmet be more useful for a cartwheel than a headstand? I probably shouldn’t ask, but what possible use is a helmet if you are doing a headstand?

thuja on October 10, 2013 at 8:27 PM

These remind me of stamps from the Soviet Union.

oceansidecon on October 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM

They really can’t do anything right, can they?

redshirt on October 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Swing – Pump High

WTFFF?

Most of those labels are incoherent. A cannonball is not “swimming”.

They should have just made 22 stamps of Barky’s uncoordinated jump shots. He did hit 2 of the 22, so they can make those two stamps quadruple sized!

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on October 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Jump, toss, bounce, spin, kick, leap, ride, twist, bat, stretch, run, stand, swim, climb, swing.

$60, downtown. :)

. . . all right, I apologize.

Axe on October 10, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Wait…which of those is supposedly unsafe? I’m confused.

Othniel on October 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM

thuja on October 10, 2013 at 8:27 PM

It seems like if you were unsuccessful at either a handstand or a cartwheel, your neck would get injured and a helmet not very helpful. Got any pictures of your attempt?

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Let it burn, it’s not worth saving…

We were once a great country where citizens could freely play lawn darts and smoke candy cigarettes, but now we’re a bubble wrapped society in which children can stay on their parents health insurance until the age of 26, provided that they ride in a booster seat on government subsidized mass transit.

Manifest destiny as given way to hu-manifest mediocrity.

rw on October 10, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Climb – Hike Up

You don’t hike up a rope. Everyone associated with this moronic waste of money needs to be wearing a helmet … and an orange jumpsuit.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on October 10, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Well, the unsafe nature of the activities is obvious merely by looking at the visages of the individuals depicted on the stamps. Each one has had their face sandpapered off by their exertions (or in case of the cannonballer, had his face ripped off by the extreme speed inherent in the activity).

unclesmrgol on October 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I wonder how many of these stamps the USPS made before they decided to destroy them? No wonder they’re going broke.

predator on October 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Let it burn, it’s not worth saving…

rw on October 10, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Let them burn, they aren’t worth saving. For the rest of us, we deserve a national divorce to be rid of these lowlife turds and their tyrannical idiocy.

Let them burn in the hellhole they are fashioning, but, let my people go.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on October 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM

This can be fixed merely by crafting a warning label to be displayed on or near the stamp:

Warning: The Postmaster General has determined that these activities are hazardous to your health.

unclesmrgol on October 10, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Notice how nobody is mentioning just how much this is going to cost the USPS? Just because that vile lobster-munching whore doesn’t like the design? Eva Peron comes to mind but, at least, she was an attractive dictator and not a freak of nature.

Happy Nomad on October 10, 2013 at 8:36 PM

And people are worried about a government shutdown..?

d1carter on October 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM

“Congratulations, son. You made the golf team. Here’s your helmet and shoulder pads.”

predator on October 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Why isn’t there a 37 cent bowling stamp?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on October 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM

predator on October 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM

The entire run is complete.

Happy Nomad on October 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Seriously, though, I mean how can you pick which deadly acts to focus on.
- How about the juggler? One of those yellow balls could land on his eye and blind him!
- The soccer player is just begging for a nasty bruise sans shin pads
- The kid swinging has no 5-point harness
- The baseball player is not wearing a helmet or eye protection

I mean seriously, they might as well have included:

Spin – Russian Roulette

as one of them, am I right? ;-)

SoRight on October 10, 2013 at 8:39 PM

My God, not one of those kids is wrapped in bubble wrap!

rbj on October 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM

In the early 1970s, my brother and I rode our Schwinns after school to football practice five days a week during a 10-week season from fifth grade through eighth grade. We lived in a densely populated suburb of Chicago (Arlington Heights), but maybe only two streets in our 2-mile journey had much traffic. Still, allowing 10-to-13 year olds ride bikes in full football gear with no effeminate helmets (our football helmets were on our handlebars) would today be grounds for terminating parental rights.

BuckeyeSam on October 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM

The entire run is complete.

Happy Nomad on October 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM

No waste there, eh? How long before the postal union tries to blame the evil right-wingers?

predator on October 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM

The First Lady could not be reached for comment.

Rich H on October 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Wait…which of those is supposedly unsafe? I’m confused.

Othniel on October 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Doing a cannonball into a pool.

Doing a handstand without protective helmet.

Skateboarding without kneepads.

Makes me wonder how any of us were able to survive childhood.

Happy Nomad on October 10, 2013 at 8:41 PM

These remind me of stamps from the Soviet Union.

oceansidecon on October 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM

They remind me of Obama’s Julia cartoons.

BuckeyeSam on October 10, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Why is the chubby white kid doing the cannonball wearing a girl’s bathing cap? And it isn’t so much a cannonball as it is an impending face-plant. And Miss Stretch is obviously balancing precariously on dangerous rocks. This panel is practically a primer on child abuse!

bofh on October 10, 2013 at 8:42 PM

predator on October 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Well, we won’t know until the shut down is over. The stamp advisory commission is one of the victims of not having a budget.

Happy Nomad on October 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM

The First Lady could not be reached for comment.

Rich H on October 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Oh! They could reach her. She’s missed out on her Asia Vacation and an upcoming one to Los Angeles. Her fat face was too full of lobster to respond. Not that eating all that lobster is healthy but who dares tell the scary shaved Yeti “no”? Certainly not her lazy stupid husband and certainly not the USPS.

Happy Nomad on October 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM

The wussification of America is almost complete.

And what the heck is the extra appendage on the kid doing cartwheels? Third arm or leg? Weird.

D-fusit on October 10, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Happy Nomad on October 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM

LOL. Pure cowboy poetry.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on October 10, 2013 at 8:48 PM

rbj on October 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM

That brings back memories, though in my case it was the “way back” of a Corvair. Good times…

JusDreamin on October 10, 2013 at 8:48 PM

This country has gotten ridiculous.

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2013 at 8:48 PM

why don’t we all just walk around all day, 24/7, with elbow and knee pads and helmets. just to be on the safe side, you know.

Sachiko on October 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM

They remind me of Obama’s Julia cartoons.

BuckeyeSam on October 10, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Honestly, I think the real issue here is that nobody would buy them. Would you? I sure as hell would not. These “safety” concerns is a way out of selling them because they would be left languishing in the stamp drawer while folks opted for anything other than a stamp series championed by a worthless partisan whore.

Happy Nomad on October 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM

D-fusit on October 10, 2013 at 8:47 PM

i think it’s a girl with long hair, lol

Sachiko on October 10, 2013 at 8:50 PM

So … it’s a “Let’s Move” campaign and Stand – Balance is part of it. LOL. I guess it’s really a “Let’s Move … Or Not” campaign.

This isn’t even up to elementary school standards.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on October 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM

D-fusit on October 10, 2013 at 8:47 PM

i think it’s a girl with long hair, lol

Sachiko on October 10, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Sorry that looks more like a tail to me.

Happy Nomad on October 10, 2013 at 8:54 PM

predator on October 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Full contact golf…that’s what I’m talking about!

JetBoy on October 10, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Would it be accurate to refer to these stamps as “For Never Stamps?”

predator on October 10, 2013 at 8:55 PM

They remind me of Obama’s Julia cartoons.

BuckeyeSam on October 10, 2013 at 8:42 PM

They are obviously the faceless, fatherless offspring of Julia.

CurtZHP on October 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM

predator on October 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Full contact golf…that’s what I’m talking about!

JetBoy on October 10, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Wiffle Golf is more my speed.

PS JetBoy, many thanks for knocking the Falcons off the other night. Makes the Saints’ road to the Super Bowl that much easier!

Del Dolemonte on October 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM

And BTW- why isn’t it an issue for a child to be climbing a rope without safety harness, helmet, gloves, and pads. She may not face but come’on here.

Happy Nomad on October 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM

To be fair, the USPS has put out some memorable stamps this year. Most recent was a nice Ray Charles stamp. They also did a Johnny Cash stamp, and another in their American Lighthouses series.

But I wonder how many people still even use “snail mail” these days, as compared to just 15 years ago? Part of the answer can be found in the USPS “balance sheet” but that can’t be the entire story.

Any USPS workers here? Newman? Clavin?

Del Dolemonte on October 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM

No pictures of today. If you are interested, you can send me email at vayikra@ymail.com and from there we can friend on Facebook. There are several pictures of me doing yoga and/or slacklining.

thuja on October 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Wait – this isn’t satire???

Rose in CA on October 10, 2013 at 9:04 PM

To be fair, the USPS has put out some memorable stamps this year.

Del Dolemonte on October 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM

To be fair the USPS has tried to stop the hemmoraging by suggesting fewer delivery days only to be thwarted by Congress.

My college tried hard to get a stamp when it turned 150 years old and got no traction. And here the First Yeti’s program gets a whole series and hundreds of thousands of dollars are wasted because a kid is doing a cannonball into a pool? We really should kill the USPS now.

Happy Nomad on October 10, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Maybe they decided to cancel the stamps because they realized that they were quite probably the ugliest stamps ever created.

Who churned that crap out? And got paid how much to do it?
They should be publicly shamed and forced to refund the money.

Solaratov on October 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Wiffle Golf is more my speed.

Del Dolemonte on October 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Golf is the only game or sport I’ve played where I actually get worse the more I play it.

Yeah, that game had my nerves frayed for sure. I’ve always known Folk has been underrated…but then, I though Mark Sanchez was going to be “the one”. Geno is looking better, he has a ways to go, but he seems on the right path. The Jets/Saints game early Nov. is going to be tough.

JetBoy on October 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM

thuja on October 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I was just teasing you. Thanks for the offer but Facebook is on my anti-bucket list, I’m one of the small minority that doesn’t participate.

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I understand completely about Facebook, but I would have been glad to be your Facebook friend.

thuja on October 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM

thuja on October 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM

You are too kind. Be careful with you future attempts gymnastics.

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2013 at 9:57 PM

The cannonballer really needs a pair of inflatable “swimmies” on each armpit, don’t you think?

marybel on October 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

The most recent stamps I bought are the XXXX Forever set.

Liberty Forever
Freedom Forever
Equality Forever
Justice Forever.

Did not this set used to consist of just one stamp, the liberty forever stamp? I hate that this administration is using every arm of the government to advertise itself to us. Because they don’t mean “equality before the law” and an unbiased court system.

TexasDan on October 10, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Also…two basketball stamps but no football.

Plus soccer.

Is one of the dangerous ones the girl doing yoga poses on a slippery ocean rock?

TexasDan on October 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I’ve called three Dicks Sporting Goods and two Sports Authority’s and no one seems to carry any handstand helmets

Wallythedog on October 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM

That soccer player is headed for an ACL tear, with or without knee pads. And the kid doing the cannonball looks like his diaper is full.

disa on October 11, 2013 at 12:14 AM

predator on October 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM

The entire run is complete.

Happy Nomad on October 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Most companies that stay solvent get design approval before starting production. Kind of hard to function when your approval has to come from outside your own “company” and post hoc at that.
Why do these two “entities” have any say over the actions of the USPS?
Are there no agencies immune from meddling by other bits of the government?

AesopFan on October 11, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Coulda fooled me! I sar First Lady Michelle Obama with a bunch of kids and I just thought she was TWERKING!!

PhillupSpace on October 11, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Just deleting more faceless children. S.O.P for the Left.

PXCharon on October 11, 2013 at 3:52 AM

The next stamp series has been renamed to better fit the public’s image and mentality.

“Let’s roll”

WryTrvllr on October 11, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Ye Gods, the swimmer has no life jacket!

Lord Obama, saaaaavvvvvve us!!!!!

VelvetElvis on October 11, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I submit that anyone whose behavior is easily changed by a postage stamp probably needs to be culled from the herd anyway.

VelvetElvis on October 11, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Having been a kid in the 1960s and a teen in the 1970s, the only time I wore a helmet and pads was in Football. Now, every kid has to be protected from every little hurt imaginable.

Wussification, indeed.

Gothguy on October 11, 2013 at 9:35 AM

People have safety concerns about those stamps?

Why should we care what people with no sense of reality or proportion think?

Before destroying these, I’d like one person to stand up and say they think these stamps are dangerous. Then we need to rescue their kids from the sanitized, padded room they keep them in.

Is the objection to “cannonball” because they’re afraid kids will go out and buy cannons? Would diving in head-first depict a safer action?

taznar on October 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM

And Iowahawk weighs in:

Forget skateboarding without kneepads, I’m concerned those stamps would result in kids taking belt sanders to their faces

ziggyville on October 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM

The Nerve on October 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Why do you hate the military so much?

bigmacdaddy on October 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Cannonball guy is carrying a pantload.

rjoco1 on October 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Cannonball dude is wearing a swim cap?

Really?

bigmacdaddy on October 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM

What a better example of elite out of touch with reality. Who cares. Who cares how much it costs. It’s not their money. Two people who have never held a real job on their own. Free of hardships. Opportunists of the ‘Affirmative Action’ mentality. For once in her life, she’s proud of her country.

RdLake on October 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Is the cannonball guy wearing a swimsuit or a loincloth?

BuckeyeSam on October 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM

A thong (after he hits the water).

pain train on October 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM

This is for Big Mooch right?

They should have just made a stamp depicting a kid drinking a glass of water.

pain train on October 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM

All these activities are dangerous. There’s no indication the runner is wearing actual running shoes. The climber could get bad rope burns without gloves. Twisting often leads to back injuries. Cartwheeling is more likely to result in injury than a simple handstand.

There’s a reason why children keep injuring themselves.

The solution, obviously, is to keep children from being active. Restrict them to TV and video games. But watch out for carpal tunnel syndrome and repetitive stress injuries!

You know what kids really need? More time sitting in a desk at school. And no recess! Recess might lead to activity! Activity is dangerous!

There Goes the Neighborhood on October 11, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I was going to get all bent out of shape about yet another business caving in to this kind of stupidity.
Then I remembered that the USPS was a government agency, where this kind of stupidity is just par for the course.

Sterling Holobyte on October 11, 2013 at 3:34 PM