Video: Veterans arrested at Vietnam War memorial in NYC

posted at 10:41 am on October 8, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Thankfully, the Atlantic covered this story, because no one else seems interested despite it taking place in America’s most populous city.  In part, that’s because the same thing happened last year, and for the same reason — a curfew violation in, er, “the city that never sleeps.” It’s unrelated to the shutdown, but it’s still strange that the Times, Post, and Daily News didn’t bother to note it in some fashion today:

Veterans of the Vietnam War were arrested earlier tonight at the New York City memorial after staying on the premises past the curfew time of 10 p.m. Police gave multiple warnings as veterans continued to read from a list of names. Video from the event shows that not only veterans were loaded into the paddy wagon, but also younger participants in the vigil as well.

The gathering took place in part to protest the twelfth anniversary of the war in Afghanistan. A similar protest and set of arrests occurred last year at the memorial. In the video embedded below, a veteran tells police that they are there to bring awareness to the “immense atrocities” committed in Vietnam, and that “some of you are so much younger, and history has been denied you, so you just need to know why we are here.”

The video shows the standoff with police shortly before the arrests were made at the anti-war protest:

A search of all US newspapers and wire services today on Nexis for arrest Vietnam War memorial turns up exactly one article — a column in the South Jersey Times criticizing the National Parks Service and the shutdown tactics in general. This story doesn’t involve the shutdown, but it’s still intriguing from a media-coverage standpoint.  During the Bush administration, anti-war protests like this garnered a lot of attention from local and national media. Odd that media interest has declined in the last few years, no?

It’s also interesting from a First Amendment standpoint. Why is there a 10 pm curfew on freely-accessible public property in a city that stays open all night long? That question does relate to the recent malicious National Park Service actions, too.  Regardless of the intent of the protest, this kind of overreaction by the government should get more attention than it received today.

Comments

I want the name of the Vet who said immenwe atrocities were committed
and where in Nam he actually served
what atrocities he saw
I call BS on that

is that GENGHIS Kerry in disguise?

RWGinger on October 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Disgraceful. This is your legacy, you sub-human piece of sh!t choomhead. We’re not gonna take much more of this. Gird your loins.

SailorMark on October 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM

They should have said they were OWS, Bloomers would have stepped in and told the police to scram.

Bishop on October 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Fascism. This country is in the process of being fundamentally transformed into a fascist state, thanks to the “progressives.”

rbj on October 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Democrats started the war, drafted these young men and sent them to the jungle. Democrats spit on them as they returned from the war that democrats thought wasn’t worth fighting anymore. Democrats now arrest them for visiting their memorial where they remember their service and lost mates.

Murphy9 on October 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Well we are close to a full all out police state. Things will not get any prettier from here I feel.

watertown on October 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM

That. is. so. weird. because I am pretty sure that Occupy Wall Shitters got to stay wherever they wanted whenever they wanted. Oh, and they got to smoke.

Resist We Much on October 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Time, place and manner

hokie.rob on October 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM

The gathering took place in part to protest the twelfth anniversary of the war in Afghanistan.

But in Washington DC you cannot venture into the WWI and WWII Memorials EXCEPT if one is exercising his/her first amendment rights. I’m confused.

DaveDief on October 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Many Govt parks have curfews – like sunset to sunup they are closed.

Karmi on October 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM

That the Post didn’t cover it, that’s strange. The Times and the News aren’t surprising.

JetBoy on October 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Paging John Kerry… John Kerry pick up the white courtesy phone please…

(Ahh. Who am I kidding. He fully supports the arrest of Vietnam vets now.)

Skywise on October 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM

All open air parks in NYC are closed at 10 p.m., likely to prevent vagrancy, drug use, and other assorted unwanted activities. A friend of my sister was issued a desk summons for being in a park past 10 p.m. This is a valid time, place and manner restriction. Nothing to write about. The fact that they’re veterans doesn’t mean they can ignore law that binds everyone else.

JoeShmoe99 on October 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Many Govt parks have curfews – like sunset to sunup they are closed.

Karmi on October 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Public parks too, like the ones around here, not that anyone gives a flying donut because it’s more to keep kids from hanging out and making noise.

Bishop on October 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Ed, I just posted info on this on last night’s QOTD. The HA filter blocked the link. Thanks for putting this thread up!!!

Repost:

KOOLAID2 on October 8, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Well, Mr. Kool, this will not make it any better. My blood pressure is rising!!

HA filter wouldn’t accept the link to the outrage, so you’ll have to go to Drudge and look for “Police Arrest Veterans at NYC Memorial…” in middle column.

A betrayal is a mild word for what they did!!

bluefox on October 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM

bluefox on October 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Resist We Much on October 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Huh?

OWS’ers were arrested…and forcibly kicked out of most places they had camped out in, and rightly so. But nobody should be arrested for visiting a memorial to pay respects to our war dead.

JetBoy on October 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Cops behaving in the manner of Ghengis Kahn…

/ aaachtuuu /

Kuffar on October 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

This literally turns my stomach. My Dad is a Korean War vet and all of our veterans deserve to be treated with respect and special consideration. Liberals and Democrats hate our military and aren’t even bothering to conceal that fact any more. When the people of this country sit back and let our warriors (past and present) be treated with such contempt and disdain, you can bet that this country’s days are numbered.

cynccook on October 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Resist We Much on October 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Got to poop on cars, steal things, and rape too…

Gatsu on October 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

watertown on October 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I’ve been a news/headline addict since I was 14, after 9/11. I’m 26 now. I’ve read a lot of things, like everyone else here, and lately, something feels different.

Over the last few years, the headlines I’m reading are more and more extreme.

Ten years ago, I didn’t read headlines about militarized police forces. These police forces are now small militaries.

Didn’t see stories about SWAT raids on animal shelters because someone brought in a motherless fawn.

Didn’t see stories about kids beating old men to death for no reason.

blatantblue on October 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

SailorMark on October 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM

And then Barky gets just what he wants. All of this nudging, pushing, shoving can only be intended to provoke a civil disturbance. He’s just probing to find the minimal flashpoint without actually building more opposition than he wants to handle.

Notice how so much military hardware has been spread around to various not-originally-meant-to-be-enforcement type federal agencies, as well as the paramilitary butching-up of even local police forces?

bofh on October 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

oops, using the quote button is hard :P

blatantblue on October 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Huh?

JetBoy on October 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

What?!? And for how many weeks and months was it tolerated before that? In New York alone they were allowed to squat there from September 17th until November 15th and they were pretty much given free reign to absolutely defile the public space every moment of that time.

cynccook on October 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Sorry, not crying for these leftard losers. And yeah, I’m veteran.

M240H on October 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Didn’t see stories about kids beating old men to death for no reason.

blatantblue on October 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Then you’ll love this, via Drudge this morning.

cynccook on October 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM

VETS TO D.C. http://1mvetmarch.wordpress.com/

They are to be in D.C. at 9AM Oct 13.

Pics of our American Dead all over the world ^

God Bless these Veterans. I hope it will be some comfort to those that were arrested.

This is an outrage!!

bluefox on October 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Last night the blaze indicated the protesters were occupy connected, and only some were veterans, and of those, at least two were Vietnam era service (not what everyone would call Vietnam veterans). And it does seem reasonable to me, especially after how Occupy abused Zuchotti Park (sp?), that spaces off open public view such that bad things could go on out of public sight are “closed” at some point to reduce crime.

YVMV

jhnone on October 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM

JetBoy on October 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Yeah…after months.

Resist We Much on October 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM

The Truckers are headed to D.C. this weekend too.

“Truckers Ride for the Constitution” rally. They are headed to D.C. this Friday, Oct 11.

bluefox on October 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Then you’ll love this, via Drudge this morning.

cynccook on October 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Saw that. Really upsetting.

I’ve lost faith in everything, honestly.

I just do my own thing, try to keep my business cash-based as best I can, and live my life.

I live right across the river from Manhattan. I have my bug-out assets in my closet with a few boxes of rounds, and that’s all I can do for myself. I used to try to proselytize and educate others, but I’ve found the futility in it.

I just live for my friends, family, and fellow-cons, and that’s all we can really do. Saving my energies for when it all hits the fan, and it will.

blatantblue on October 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Cynccook, your link hangs. Is it broken, or did nbcnews cut the story?

jhnone on October 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Over the last few years, the headlines I’m reading are more and more extreme.

blatantblue on October 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

This is pretty much what happened to me, though I was a bit older. Could you have imagined twelve years ago that we’d be throwing veterans in jail like this for peaceful protests? I feel like something really bad is brewing just under the surface.

Doomberg on October 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM

they need to get those trouble making vets out of there so the OWS protesters have a place to camp….

chasdal on October 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I’m not sure why this is a story or why the fact they are veterans is even important. The liberal nutjob at Univ. of Wisconsin who ranted about the Republican Teaparty shutdown is much more of an issue than the annual gathering/arrest of a group in NYC.

Happy Nomad on October 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM

‘Paddy Wagon?’ Oh, my, where are all the outraged Irish-Americans.
I expect the Atlantic to be shut down within the hour.

Oh, the huge manatee!

CaptFlood on October 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Wonder if Mark Levin will spring into action for the Vietnam War Vets:

can_con on October 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM

YVMV

jhnone on October 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Have you taken a look at the pics at the site that Drudge linked to? These don’t look like OWS people to me.

A live stream video recording of the event shows demonstrators chanting, “whose side are you on?” before police, after several verbal warnings, move in to make the arrests.

bluefox on October 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM

the thing we have to remember is that almost all federal employees, including park police, are lefties.

they are union thugs who want more gov’t and want to protect big gov’t because it pays them extremely well for little work or responsibility.

So, theses people love obeying Obama’s orders and arresting vets.

these are the type of people we need to get terminated from federal employment and barred from federal employment.

They should also be barred from voting.

I wouldn’t piss on one of these park police if they were on fire. they are all too happy to be brownshirts for Obama.

We are up against facsism. the left, as it always was and always will be, is fascist. they care only about using state power to control other people. That is the sole purpose of the left.

We are not engaged in politics, we are engaged in war. We should treat it as such.

Monkeytoe on October 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I would like to know the name of the so called Nam Vet who said immense atrocities happened
where and when they happened

I call BS on that
Are we sure this so called vet wasn’t Genhgis Kerry?

RWGinger on October 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM

ynccook, your link hangs. Is it broken, or did nbcnews cut the story?

jhnone on October 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM

link has an extra http

copy paste and take it out

Doomberg on October 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Cops stopping students on campus in CA for hanging out constitutions, things like that. Throughout the 2000′s, I wasn’t truly SHOCKED by things I was reading. Lately, in the last two years, I feel as if I have suddenly been dropped into 1984. Things genuinely disturb me now.

I feel as if violence is going to start breaking out in a large way.

blatantblue on October 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Cynccook, your link hangs. Is it broken, or did nbcnews cut the story?

jhnone on October 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM

See my comment at bluefox on October 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

bluefox on October 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM

So the (supposedly) closed National Mall is going to open up for an immigration rally because… 1st amendment. But Veterans arrested for violating curfew at a memorial because… ???

Here I thought constitutional rights applied to all evenly.

taznar on October 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I was just reading someone on Facebook saying “I’m surprised no one has yet actually gotten themselves arrested for violating the closures” and the next thing I do is look at Hot Air and find this!

thuja on October 8, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Cynccook, your link hangs. Is it broken, or did nbcnews cut the story?

jhnone on October 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Sorry!

See my comment at bluefox on October 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

bluefox on October 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Thanks! :)

cynccook on October 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I feel as if violence is going to start breaking out in a large way.

blatantblue on October 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM

This is what keeps me up at night. Hearing MSM outlets talk like this doesn’t make me feel any better: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/114945/two-russians-walk-parliamentary-crisis

Doomberg on October 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Unless other hours are posted at the park, all NYC parks are closed from 1am to 6am, but off the top of my head I can think of a handful of parks in Lower Manhattan that close by 7pm or 10pm.

steebo77 on October 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Here I thought constitutional rights applied to all evenly.

taznar on October 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Welcome to the new reality of ‘social justice’.

katy on October 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM

bluefox on October 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Thanks! :)

cynccook on October 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Anything to get the message out, LOL I don’t know how to link like you do, so I do it the old fashioned way:-)

bluefox on October 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Good question, especially since this is not located in a residential area. Oh well, perhaps they should have emulated Occupiers and held their protest in Zuccotti Park.

Buy Danish on October 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Doomberg on October 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM

It’s very scary, what is going on lately. I have my contingency plans set.

blatantblue on October 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I’ve heard rumors that a few of those vets were ‘plants’-part of a lefty group called ‘Veterans for Peace’. Have any of you heard the same?

annoyinglittletwerp on October 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM

The Truckers are headed to D.C. this weekend too.

bluefox on October 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I promise you, this idiotic protest is going to be a fiasco for the Tea Party and a gift to the Democrats. I sent out a series of tweets about this this morning – I would not be in the least bit surprised to learn this is a false flag operation coordinated by the White House and Teamsters Union. Jimmy Hoffa is one of BO’s most frequent visitors and their offices are across the street from the White House. The verbiage being used by these “patriots” is way over the top and will come back to haunt use. As I tweeted, “What better way to crush GOP majority than 2 create massively negative p.r. w/ over-the-top verbiage as striking truckers demand impeachment.” Run, don’t walk away from this trap.

Buy Danish on October 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM

So stories like this mean we’re winning, right?

MJBrutus on October 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Buy Danish on October 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I have to agree with Buy Danish on this. I too think this is a false flag op.

Monkeytoe on October 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM

*************** TRANSPARENCY MY *SS ******************************!!!

canopfor on October 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Just put on a Guy Fawkes mask, carry a OWS (Occupy Washington Shutdown) sign and the cops will leave you alone for months.

shick on October 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Old white people are Obama’s nemesis.

Daemonocracy on October 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM

What does Sarah say?

davidk on October 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Buy Danish on October 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM

The following was posted 17 hours ago on their Facebook page.
Some of the articles being spread around are not paying attention.

URGENT: Earl Conlon has advised NOT to misrepresent himself as a spokesperson for this peaceful event. Please listen to the entire audio — it is extremely clear he has no authority to speak on behalf of RideForTheConstitution.org US News and World Report has been issued a demand to retract and/or modify the article so as no to associate our campaign with anything that is unlawful.

bluefox on October 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I can tell as soon as we heard, Judicial Watch has initiated an investigation literally within an hour. We filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the Department of the Interior to find out how and why this ridiculous decision was made. And who made it.

Judicial Watch has many veterans on staff and thousands who support our work. I personally went to the WWII Memorial to investigate. While I was there Wednesday afternoon, I counted at least six National Park Service personnel and three vehicles being used to secure the site from visiting veterans and tourists. I also saw at least one active Navy seaman there to visit and unable to enter the Memorial. The Park Service personnel had placed metal ties on the fencing to keep them in place. I witnessed Park Service employees also placing sand bags to help secure the fencing! Here are some pictures I took at the scene for you to see.

News regarding the Obama barricades is breaking by the hour. And I will have more for you as events develop.

I don’t know how the government fiscal battles are going to be resolved but I do think one thing should result from this:

Clean house at the Interior Department and the National Park Service. And any White House official involved in desecrating–yes, I consider it to be desecration–these war memorials and military cemeteries should lose their jobs.

davidk on October 8, 2013 at 12:17 PM

If they claim they are illegal aliens they will be set free.

pat on October 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Well,ya know,

WW2,the Korean War, and Vietnam Vets, are probably
on the HomeLand Secruity Watch List,on par,with Afghanistan
and Irag Vets!!

(Le Sarc)

canopfor on October 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM

So stories like this mean we’re winning, right?

MJBrutus on October 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Conservatives are. You’re not.

kingsjester on October 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Doomberg just gave Terry Mac $1M to boost his campaign in VA. Ken C. needs an ad right away showing him accepting big money from out of state from a mayor that arrests war vets. Also, the CO recall is still in full swing. They are going after another anti 2nd A leftie. Our battles are ongoing.

Kissmygrits on October 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Additional Info on the Truckers Ride for the Constitution false rumors being spread about this.

October 8, 2013

Michael Winter of USA Today parrotted a story today by Steven Nelson of US News and World Report that quoted a trucker who is not related to ‘Truckers Ride for the Constitution.’

That false stories are being put out shouldn’t be any surprise.

The American people are outraged on how our Veterans are being treated & our National Parks & Private enterprises are being shut.

The Bikers had a rally recently. Veterans are coming to D.C. this weekend. The Truckers have their issues also and I see no problem with them making a statement.

The fact that false motives are being spread, should not take away from the Truckers Ride.

bluefox on October 8, 2013 at 12:42 PM

One word – Bloomberg.

Steve Eggleston on October 8, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Huh?

JetBoy on October 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Rrrrright, they were arrested when exactly, remind us, pls…oh, yeah, after months of shit..ing on whatever was there to shite on while media were drooling over telling their 99% ‘story’…So, get your facts straight. I had to get past such an OWS group to get to work back then, and it took police 3 months to remove them, and then they camped somehwere else.

jimver on October 8, 2013 at 12:53 PM

rbj on October 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Totalitarianism always resides on the Left.

John the Libertarian on October 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM

davidk on October 8, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Thanks for the Breitbart/JW link. Reading and the links also.

Glad JW are filing that. We know tho who ordered these atrocities.

bluefox on October 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Kissmygrits on October 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Awesome!! Wish all States would clean house.

On October 3, the Republican state senators who won in the September 10 Colorado recall were sworn into office.

I’m sure that didn’t make news:-)

bluefox on October 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Resist We Much on October 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Tobacco? Really?

The NY post had the story too. I posted the link this morning.

dogsoldier on October 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

And thank you Ed, for blogging this.

dogsoldier on October 8, 2013 at 1:30 PM

bluefox on October 8, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Are you seriously foolish enough to believe that talking about impeaching Obama is going to help whatever their/your cause? Whether they block traffic or not, the verbiage plays right into the hands of BO’s supporters. Headlines will be all about how Tea Party Extremists did yadda yadda yadda.

You need to realize that it doesn’t matter what BO does. He will never be impeached. He is the first black president. He has the media in his pocket. You have to deal with how things are not how you wish them to be.

The only way to stop or slow his agenda is to get a majority in the Senate. But the Tea Party is going around primarying sitting GOP senators instead of working to defeat Democrats.

This is a suicidal strategy.

Buy Danish on October 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM

WW2,the Korean War, and Vietnam Vets, are probably
on the HomeLand Secruity Watch List,on par,with Afghanistan
and Irag Vets!!

(Le Sarc)

canopfor on October 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM

No sarc to it, canopfor. ALL vets are on the DHS watchlist; and are prime suspects as terrorists.

And that’s from an official DHS publication of “Right Wing Terrorism”.

Solaratov on October 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Yet citizens of other countries who are breaking U.S. laws are permitted to demonstrate on the National Mall this afternoon.

bw222 on October 8, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I want the name of the Vet who said immenwe atrocities were committed
and where in Nam he actually served
what atrocities he saw
I call BS on that

is that GENGHIS Kerry in disguise?

RWGinger on October 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I find it hard to believe that Mai Lai was a one-off. Perhaps it was the most egregious atrocity but not the only one? Would executing POWs or taking some kind of revenge on the enemy or civilian supporters be beyond the realm of possibility?

The problem is that it’s doubtful that our own military/government would have done much to investigate and publicize too many things, and anyone else we wouldn’t trust because it could easily be propaganda.

But I’ve seen enough film and photos of GIs wasting defenseless “Japs” and “Krauts” to be very open to the likelihood that even Americans do things that we’ve been taught only “the other guy” does.

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 8, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Buy Danish on October 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Evidently you didn’t read the false statements I linked to. You keep repeating the lies that have been spread, not by the Truckers Ride for the Constitution, but the ones spreading the falsehoods.

bluefox on October 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Wonder if Mark Levin will spring into action for the Vietnam War Vets

can_con

For a bunch of fake war vets with ties to Code Pink? Probably not.

xblade on October 8, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I want the name of the Vet who said immenwe atrocities were committed
and where in Nam he actually served
what atrocities he saw
I call BS on that
is that GENGHIS Kerry in disguise?
RWGinger on October 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

This so-called “vet” is a jerk…and probably needs to off himself like his 3 buddies did !

And yes..BigSven is a Viet Nam vet !

BigSven on October 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM

This isn’t related to the NPS goonds and the “shutdown” but feel free to conflate the two with these dweebs so feel free to go to their website and sign the Free Bradley Manning petition.

I also think they’re allowed to assemble there just not after the 10 p.m. curfew that’s not the same thing as shutting down a park that’s usually open 24 hours a day to pedestrian traffic.

andycanuck on October 8, 2013 at 5:16 PM

goonds = goons

andycanuck on October 8, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I guess that they needed to change the conversation after it was discovered that elements of the “biker” gang that attacked they Range Rover driver may have been off-duty cops who did not come to the aid of the victim, or ID themselves during the melee.
So, to keep people from talking about their malfeasance in that instance, they arrest some Viet Vets for a curfew violation in “The City That Never Sleeps”.
Lovely!