Secret weapon of Fox News’s new “Breaking News” deck: Unbelievably huge iPads

posted at 8:01 pm on October 7, 2013 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate. Can it really be “futuristic” if it reminds you of a set from 1960s sci-fi schlock? I keep waiting for George Takei to walk out and tell Shep that he’s detected “an anomaly” in the health-care sector.

In an age where the hallmark of bleeding-edge tech is smallness, he chose to boldly go where no anchor has gone before with 55-inch touchscreens, which must be murder on the eyes of the staffers huddled over them two feet away. I will say, though, that the sheer volume of content they appear to be sifting through reminds me a lot of the evolution of the blogging experience over the last six or seven years. At first I was a cable-news and RSS man; then came Facebook; then came Twitter; and amid it all, new news sites and blogs worth monitoring seemed to sprout up every day. Trying to juggle it all while cranking out posts sort of feels like the bit here where Shep starts scrolling aimlessly through remote video feeds while keeping up a semi-coherent monologue. So there’s my official excuse for half-assed content going forward. It’s not that I’m an idiot, I’m just really distracted. (And kind of an idiot.)

Exit question: Is that Flipboard that Shep is showing off on the mega-iPad near the end? Or some Fox News proprietary analog?

Comments

But will it open the pod bay doors?

ajacksonian on October 7, 2013 at 8:03 PM

OH MY!

trubble on October 7, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Big is the new small.

patman77 on October 7, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Are those big iPads or really little people?

Fallon on October 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I`m surprised that all the screens don`t read “Due to the government shutdown, this site is not available.”

Followed by a sequencial throwing up of hands and “What the f*ck!”

ThePrez on October 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Is that Flipboard that Shep is showing off on the mega-iPad near the end? Or some Fox News proprietary analog?v

Looks more like Pulse.

budfox on October 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Bwahahahaha!

I think the FNC folks have given up on Shlep and just wanna have a little fun with him before they let him go entirely. Cant believe he isnt realizing that. So humiliating. I would have quit.

Valkyriepundit on October 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM

They are now fully capable of monitoring every car chase in the world.

Mark1971 on October 7, 2013 at 8:11 PM

They are now fully capable of monitoring every car chase in the world.

Mark1971 on October 7, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Does this include Matchbox cars?

ajacksonian on October 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM

If someone ever crawls out of a jefferies tube, I’d consider watching.

Dongemaharu on October 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I watched the video of this – and I have to say that I just don’t get it – these HUGE touch screens. How the heck could anyone work with that? Can you imagine cooking in front of one of these things all day? These folks are going to be dropping like flies.

Pork-Chop on October 7, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Witness now the full power of this heavily armed and operational d*ucheb*g!

ThePrez on October 7, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Unbelievably huge iPads

Do they have wings?
;-)

burrata on October 7, 2013 at 8:16 PM

They’ve got to be kidding.

itsacookbook on October 7, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Looks to me like Ailes is giving Shemp more than enough rope.

farsighted on October 7, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Shep Smith uses MaxiPads

SparkPlug on October 7, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I need a Maxi Pad – my vision is shot looking at the iPhone all day

redguy on October 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Car chase coverage will never be the same.

mjbrooks3 on October 7, 2013 at 8:21 PM

As Ace said, the Breaking News Battle Bridge.

catmman on October 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I think they’re fine. CNN and MSNBC will copy this look soon…

joejm65 on October 7, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Meh. Shep still makes my skin crawl.

And how, exactly, are those 55″ screens going to improve news gathering and vetting? No more content showing on any one of them than on an old 13″ CRT, just larger fonts.

bofh on October 7, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Meh. Shep still makes my skin crawl.

bofh on October 7, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Yep – Shep makes everyone’s skin crawl – it’s hard to understand why Ailes keeps him around.

Pork-Chop on October 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Pork-Chop on October 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM

So people watch Lou Dobbs ?

burrata on October 7, 2013 at 8:35 PM

BATs: Big Area Touchscreens? Or Big A** Tablets?

jedijson on October 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Heh.

Does a supernova of a giant star — creating a black hole — qualify as merely “an anomaly”?

ShainS on October 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I give this clusterfark two weeks before they can the giant ipads.

WordsMatter on October 7, 2013 at 8:48 PM

What usually happens in a free market when choices multiply to a quantity and proliferate to a level that no one can possibly sort and sift through it all is a shake out period.

During this period there is a, sometimes temporary, shrinkage in the available choices as consumers, corporations and investors stop throwing money at the marginal and start seriously trying to pick favorites and winners. That is followed by consolidation in the market.

And then the cycle starts all over again.

A classic example is in the auto industry over the last century. There were at one time many, many more auto manufacturers. GM rose to the top by pioneering the ability for each person to customize their car by picking from a huge menu of features, options, and colors. Plus, they changed body styles every year. That marketing and business model was successful for awhile. But the model became so unwieldy and expensive that it has almost disappeared. Now people choose from a limited number of color combinations and from a few features packages. Also, they have fewer manufacturers and models to choose from and the body styles do not change every year.

There may be a shakeout occurring in the cable TV business. There used to be more real choices. That is, back before many channels turned into reality TV channels. Some examples — The History Channel used to have a lot more actual history programming, the Discovery Channel more documentaries, and TLC really was The Learning Channel. Those channels are all still there, but the programming and content is increasingly homogenous.

The trend now is towards streaming, where anyone who can code up a Roku channel can essentially create their own TV channel. Eventually people may be able to create their own streaming TV packages containing only what they want. Instead of having to pay cable TV and satellite TV providers for hundreds of channels they do not want or watch, just to get the few they do want.

The internet and digital technology enables individuals to tailor their personal info product mix to their own preferences without a lot of monetary cost to themselves. The cost is the time it takes the individual to do it. So this period of choice expansion in news, analysis, and opinion source choices may continue indefinitely.

I just don’t know how many people want to spend their increasingly vanishing and precious free time continually tailoring their info sources to their preferences.

farsighted on October 7, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Bwahahahaha!

Valkyriepundit on October 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM

That’s how it looks to me.

Ailes is letting Shemp indulge in his hi-tech fantasies about presenting “Breaking News” so if/when it fails he will have an excuse for letting him go. It’s an experiment that will likely largely fail. Something useful may come out of it that Ailes can use, but it won’t be Shemp.

However, I could be wrong.

farsighted on October 7, 2013 at 8:57 PM

BATs: Big Area Touchscreens? Or Big A** Tablets?

jedijson on October 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Exactly.

ex_machina on October 7, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Size doesn’t matter. Really.

Bwahahahaha

itsacookbook on October 7, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I think those things are running Windows 8.

Fezzik on October 7, 2013 at 9:07 PM

BTW, those are Win8 machines. Does anyone care? Probably not.

ex_machina on October 7, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Because it’s so much faster to manually press each entry on a screen than to type on a keyboard..and an Android system, which by design is an intentionally scaled down system due to price and battery requirements life is much more effective than a full blown high end computer.

I’ve about quit watching Fox New since their regular news shows have almost become “progressive light” these days. I personally think they stand with the establishment GOP and RINOs and only begrudging true conservative a few minutes here or there “balanced” with plenty of squishy GOP regulars.

celt on October 7, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Shep is an idiot I don’t trust anything out of his mouth. They can shove their iPads.

KF Peters on October 7, 2013 at 9:12 PM

speaking of Fox News, Shep might be back at 7pm, since I don’t think Greta’s the right person for this time slot. But then, I never thought she was the right person for any time slot. But tonight’s opening show was kind of cringe-worthy, and that was just the first 5 minutes. Then I turned it off. I would suffer through Shep for at most 10 minutes. And often there were some cute stand-in’s.

williampeck1958 on October 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Well I botched that, see what I get for typing on a tablet..

Had to go back to my office to clear this up on an actual PC with a real keyboard… ;) Poor Shemp!

Because it’s so much faster to manually search and press each individual letter on a screen than to type on a keyboard..and an Android system, which by design is an intentionally scaled down system due to price and limited battery resources is much more effective than a full blown computer system.

I’ve just about quit watching Fox New since the regular news cycle shows have almost become “progressive light” lately.

I personally think they stand with the establishment GOP and RINOs and only begrudging allow true conservative a few minutes here or there between the “squishy” GOP regulars.

celt on October 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Ted Cruz was the 1st guest on Kelly’s new show tonite.
Luved it
Now if only she could Weeny boy on he show again ;-)!

burrata on October 7, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Until Shep is offered another gig he doesn’t want to leave; too many cute male interns running around.

Wigglesworth on October 7, 2013 at 9:20 PM

the too-obvious Star Trek themed set looks like overcompensation by Shep to me.

Now watch Megyn Kelly come out on her new show with only a desk and a brain and kick the crap out of Smith ratings-wise.

Sacramento on October 7, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Well, they lost me at 5 pm (MST) tonight, and every other night. I would rather watch the news than Greta.

MH53J on October 7, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I’m getting back pain and frozen shoulders just from looking at them.

nottakingsides on October 7, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Ted Cruz was the 1st guest on Kelly’s new show tonite.
Luved it
Now if only she could Weeny boy on he show again ;-)!

burrata on October 7, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Loved seeing Ted Cruz again, especially as Kelly’s very first guest. I thought she looked really stupid though telling him how her “poll” showed how unpopular he was, yet she has him as her very first guest? Ummmm,
if he’s disliked so much, why is he her first guest? Everyone knows that on your very first show, you book guests that people want to turn on their TV to watch. (On that note, this Ted Cruz is unpopular stuff is a load of crap, I just don’t believe it). As for Megan’s first show, I’m disappointed, I think it’s boring & really needs a lot of work when it comes to the transitions. I like her fine, but she really ought to put on a suit or at least look more professional, she looks like she’s going on a date. Just saying….

Susanboo on October 7, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Susanboo on October 7, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Watched her show and I know I’m not watching it again.
Tried to watch Hannity but I’m sick of his
” studio audience” format.
There is hardly any sanity left on FNC anymore.

burrata on October 7, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Bah, this new schedule means no “The Five” repeats at 11pm PST. Not likely that I’ll see it much at 2pm PST time slot. Just saw them on Kelly’s show briefly… and I’m not likely going to be a fan of her. Back to watching redeye a few times a week.

oryguncon on October 7, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Shep is Wesley Crusher. He’s there, but no one really wants him there.

SouthernGent on October 7, 2013 at 10:36 PM

“Shep is Wesley Crusher. He’s there, but no one really wants him there.

SouthernGent on October 7, 2013 at 10:36 PM”

LOL! But hey! He is all over a car chase like no one else!

shorebird on October 7, 2013 at 11:54 PM

For those interested, these are 55″ Mondopads, made by Infocus. They sell for around $5.5K-$6K a piece. Google the rest.

Shy Guy on October 8, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Those are TouchTable TT55′s.

One advantage — what you see is certainly what you get on the big screen. If you want to do battle management, this is the kind of display you want. Or not — they make an 80″ version.

It requires a separate computer — which is why one appears to have an HP keyboard, and another an Apple keyboard and mouse. And, with the right options, you don’t have to touch it — it understands gestures several inches above the screen. But I use a smaller touchpad and a keyboard on mine, as I’m a fairly sedentary person.

unclesmrgol on October 8, 2013 at 2:05 AM

“That man is playing Galaga! Thought we wouldn’t notice, but we did.”.

apostic on October 8, 2013 at 6:13 AM

“OK who has the remote…”

JetBoy on October 8, 2013 at 8:15 AM

bofh on October 7, 2013 at 8:25 PM

At work I use two displays with lots of windows open and really wish I had a third display. I can see how a really big screen would allow you to place lots of smaller windows up and be able to work without having windows covering each other.

Dr. Frank Enstine on October 8, 2013 at 9:12 AM

iPads don’t run Windows 8.

Can you imagine only running one full screen app on one of those things?

osborn4 on October 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM

But will it open the pod bay doors?

ajacksonian on October 7, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I’m sorry ajackson, I’m afraid they can’t do that.

HardwoodBottom on October 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM

See?

Hundreds of thousands already have at our iPads in our PJ’s. And who is trying to provide the definition of just who a journalist is?

Shaughnessy on October 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM