Wait a sec: The OFA volunteer who managed to sign up for ObamaCare hasn’t actually signed up yet? Update: Applied, hasn’t purchased yet

posted at 2:02 pm on October 4, 2013 by Allahpundit

So says his own father in an interview with Reason’s Peter Suderman.

A committed young Democrat and OFA volunteer wouldn’t fudge the facts to gin up some much-needed good press for The One’s pet program, would he?

Chad’s story was tweeted out by the official Obamacare Twitter feed. It was promoted to the media by Enroll America, a health-care activist group headed by a former White House communications staffer, as a sign of Obamacare’s success. Henderson told reporters at multiple news outlets that after a three-hour wait to sign up online, he enrolled around 3 a.m. Tuesday morning in an unsubsidized private insurance plan that would cost him about $175 a month. He also said that his father enrolled in separate coverage plan that would cost about $250 a month after factoring in the subsidies for which his father qualified on his approximately $24,000 annual income…

Bill Henderson told me that both he and his son were interested in getting coverage, but that they had not enrolled in any plan yet, and to his knowledge, neither had his son. He also said that when they do enroll, getting the most coverage for the least money would be the goal, and that he expects that he and his son will get coverage under the same plan…

Other details from Chad’s story were also difficult to verify. He said his premium was unsubsidized, and cost around $175 a month for the cheapest Bronze coverage plan available. He told the Chattanooga Times Free Press that he got his coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield. But the cheapest unsubsidized Bronze exchange plan at Blue Cross Blue Shield’s online Quick Quote system offers for a 21-year-old in Flintstone, Georgia is $225.09 a month.

Additionally, Chad could not have purchased a separate plan for his father from his own login to HealthCare.gov, the website for the federal exchanges. A customer assistance representative on HealthCare.gov’s LiveChat system told me that purchasing separate plans for a son and a father in Georgia would require two separate logins. Which means that Chad would have had to successfully create two different accounts, and complete enrollment twice, at a time when almost no one was able to get through on the system.

Suderman notes, drily, that Chad Henderson told WaPo that he was sharing his story — which included cc’ing media outlets in his tweets about enrolling to make sure they paid attention — because “I’ve read a few articles about how young people are very critical to the law’s success. I really just wanted to do my part to help out with the entire process.” Could be, of course, that his old man is simply misinformed and that Chad really did sign up, but what are the odds of that given the extent of the media attention over the past 24 hours? At some point Henderson Jr would have dialed up Sr and said, “Hey, I got us enrolled!”, right? In fact, per Bill Henderson, Chad did tell him that “there’s different plans. And we haven’t decided which plans to enroll in yet.”

Also, note the language Chad used when talking about the sign-up process with HuffPo. The use of “we” makes it sound like his dad was there with him in the wee hours waiting for the Healthcare.gov site to load:

“I was excited,” Chad Henderson said in a telephone interview with The Huffington Post Thursday. He had seen on Twitter that the exchanges opened at midnight. “We stood on there until about 3 in the morning,” he said. Chad and his father live in Flintstone, Ga., near the Tennessee border, about 5 miles from Chattanooga…

Even though $175 is a big chunk of his monthly earnings, Chad said the cost is okay.

“I think that it was reasonable to a point,” Chad said. “My dad, on the other hand, thinks that with the price that he’s paying and that we’re paying, we should’ve been offered dental and regular eye exams.”

Dad hasn’t chosen a plan yet, by his own admission. One question: If this is all shenanigans from Chad Henderson designed to give the media a teeny tiny little hook to report good news about ObamaCare’s implementation, why did he say it took him three hours after midnight to sign up and that he was hoping his plan would be a bit cheaper? If you’re going to lie to America to help Bambi out, might as well go the whole nine yards, right? “I enrolled in no time! The coverage was cheaper and more comprehensive than I could have hoped for!” Instead, he seems to be giving the exchanges a solid B+. Why not an A? Also, note that three different insurance companies claim that they *have* successfully enrolled people via the federal ObamaCare website. Enrollment is “meager” due to glitchapalooza, but it’s happening. Chad could be on the level, even if it seems increasingly unlikely. And as for the fact that Chad’s stated premium of $175 a month doesn’t match the rate for someone of his age on the Blue Cross Blue Shield, that could be just another glitch at work. Imagine if that was the sequel to this story: “Chad did enroll! But, er, Healthcare.gov gave him the wrong numbers.”

Somewhere right now, some White House apparatchik is frantically trying to track Henderson down to get to the bottom of this before the inevitable Obama/Chad photo op. Good luck, guys! Oh, and in other ObamaCare news, implementation is now sufficiently embarrassing to the president that his friends at the AP and NPR have conveniently decided that they won’t refer to the program as “ObamaCare” as much in the future. You owe ‘em one, champ.

Update: Keep your eye on the ball. This is the real takeaway from this fiasco:

Update: “I have not misled anyone.”

Sarah Kliff: So your dad says you haven’t purchased health insurance.

Chad Henderson: Here’s my response. Most reporters, I’m not calling anyone out especially you, they haven’t had access to the web site. They weren’t very clear as to how the process went. Most people have no understanding that it’s a two step process. One is you fill out an application. It sends you a notification received successfully.

The next step is comparing the prices, comparing all the plans. And that’s when you purchase the plan. I said I enrolled in the marketplace. I never said I chose a specific plan. But the number I gave you, the $175 or $200 or whatever, that is the plan I am choosing. My dad is choosing a different plan. So, enrollment meant that my application was sent and approved. That’s what I meant by enrollment. I have not purchased a specific plan. That’s what’s confusing people.

My dad was right. I have chosen mine. He hasn’t chosen his yet.

Update: Twitter pals are flagging this recent tweet from Henderson himself. Note the word “bought.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Update: Applied, hasn’t purchased yet

So… ‘fake, but accurate’?

Midas on October 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Epic

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM

52%

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Pass it on.

MontanaMmmm on October 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Clearly, there is no one in the Administration or OFA who know what the first rule of hole digging is.
Athos on October 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM

They don’t worry because they know the media is filling in the hole as fast as they dig it. All they care about is throwing dirt on the Right.

rrpjr on October 4, 2013 at 3:22 PM

We’ll have fun with it, MM, in the least on the QotD tonight…and always :)

Thing is, she’s smarter than some of the other trash.

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Sort of OT. How will the Feds ensure compliance? Good old civil forfeiture, that’s how. If you think it can’t be done without a trial or at least a criminal charge, don’t tell that to the IRS, because that is what the owner of Schott’s grocery has been trying to tell the Feds since they sucked more than $35,000 out of his account without warning or even a kiss.

totherightofthem on October 4, 2013 at 3:22 PM

This is funny in all the tragedy.

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Should we fill everyone in on the joke, or just keep it as a royal shiv and use it everytime a troll shows up?

52% replaces 47%

MontanaMmmm on October 4, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Every time she shows up we should just post

52%

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM

52percentdalian

Midas on October 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I’ve gotta work, I’ll check in late.

MontanaMmmm on October 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM

“I have not misled anyone.”

Of course not. Misled is past tense and you are still in the present tense of misleading everyone. The Neverending Story.

He doesn’t even know the price of his plan … $175 or $200 or whatever.

Dusty on October 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM

totherightofthem on October 4, 2013 at 3:22 PM

My understanding is that the only thing the IRS can’t take absent a court order is your house – everything else – cash, bank accounts, savings, cars, etc – they can take simply on their own authority.

Midas on October 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I just tried to sign up in Virginia, to see what the rates would be.

I can’t get past the “Create Account” screens. Apparently they don’t like my name: Publius Maximus

BobMbx on October 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM

LOL– I have been trying in Tennessee, I never get past the first screen where it assures me I am in line but there is such a high volume- I just have to wait.

melle1228 on October 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Midas on October 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Pretty much correct. Under the “rules” of civil forfeiture (remember, this type of property seizure is not in response to non-payment of taxes) they can waltz in and take your money without charging you with a crime or even informing you of the basis for their actions.

I’ll repeat: the property seizure involved in this type of civil forfeiture is not for non-payment of taxes or criminal failure to file returns.

Scary, huh?

totherightofthem on October 4, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Midas on October 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM

The IRS can’t do anything but withhold your tax refund. The law specifically prohibits levies, liens, and criminal prosecutions.

NotCoach on October 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM

melle1228 on October 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I’ve spoken to more than one person who is “going to pretend this act was never passed” because it’s too complex an activity and will cost them a fortune. Now, if all 300 million of us adopted that same attitude the thing would definitely collapse and not even those brand new 16,500 IRS agents can police the entire country. And, the worst that can happen is that treasury takes in a huge amount of $$ from those $95.00/1% of income fines it can use to “pay off our debt” /s so it’s a win-win. It sure won’t be enough to fund the program itself, however.

totherightofthem on October 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

He’s waiting for his Reggie Love Butt Soothe.

RovesChins on October 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

NotCoach on October 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Yeah. I’d like to believe that the “law” will be enforced as written, but we’ve seen how much stock our executive branch places in the paper our laws are written on.

totherightofthem on October 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM

totherightofthem on October 4, 2013 at 3:22 PM

That’s exactly why Hussein wants a civilian national security force ,
as well funded and well armed as the US military.

burrata on October 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM

For Obama supporters, lying is the least of their sins.

Adjoran on October 4, 2013 at 3:43 PM

totherightofthem on October 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I can’t argue with you and keep a straight face, but legally the IRS could never justify a civil forfeiture in court if that civil forfeiture was a result of not paying the mandate penalty.

Will the IRS illegally harass people anyways? Maybe, but they have a problem if they do. The people they need to harass into compliance are also the most likely to be Democratic voters, e.g. the young and uninsured. They damned if they do, and damned if they don’t.

NotCoach on October 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

NotCoach on October 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Perhaps with regard to Obamacare, yes, but otherwise, no, they are not restrained from doing just about anything to you, except take your home, on their own authority (no court order required).

Midas on October 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I said I enrolled in the marketplace. I never said I chose a specific plan.

What a lying sack of poop.

He logged in. That’s it.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

faraway on October 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I said I enrolled in the marketplace. I never said I chose a specific plan.

What a lying sack of poop.

He logged in. That’s it.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

faraway on October 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM

And still, we’re expected simply to take his word for it, I suppose.

Midas on October 4, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I knew the economics of O’care would be a failure, but I never dreamed the Internet roll-out of it would be such a complete and utter disaster.

mjbrooks3 on October 4, 2013 at 3:48 PM

The most fascinating thing I find about these Obamabots is that they really think $2,100 per year ($175 x 12) pays for all their medical needs. For people who complain that healthcare costs are too high, I find it odd that they think that paying that little bit of money on their own behalf will keep this system on solid footing. This where public schools have failed us. Typical conversation with my Obama-loving “friends”:

Me: So how much should your health insurance cost you?

Them: It shouldn’t be more than $100 per month. But free would be better.

Me: What are your typical medical costs in a year?

Them: Oh man, it’s crazy, like $4000 or $5000 with tests and stuff.

Me: So how will $1,200 cover the costs effectively?

Them: What do you mean?

Me: Who makes up the difference?

Them: The insurance company.

Me: So insuring you means they lose money every year? How will they stay in business?

Them: Don’t know. Don’t care.

Me: You see how the math doesn’t work, right?

Them: No, they’re already rich. So it works.

Me: So they should pay because they are rich?

Them: Yes, it’s not fair. And because Obama.

goflyers on October 4, 2013 at 3:49 PM

NotCoach on October 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Not disagreeing or being obstinate, but I can see some poor schmuckette (say, like me who didn’t vote this moron into office)being hounded to the point that it costs time and $$$ while being mired in the Federal Court system before this gets hashed out. How many people will just cave? I’m not a registered D so I expect that someone like me would be the first to feel the wrath of Zod our Federal overlords.

Disclaimer: Not that I don’t plan on being insured. No sirree. Not me. ‘Afternoon NSA.

totherightofthem on October 4, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Even before he’s purchased insurance and Bill Henderson is already looking for more freebies. Sorry Bill, but if you should become pregnant there are a whole range of products you’re now covered for.

Happy Nomad on October 4, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Federal civil forfeiture law features an appalling lack of due process: It empowers the government to seize private property from Americans without ever charging, let alone convicting, them of a crime. Perversely, the government then pockets the proceeds while providing no prompt way to get a court to review the seizure.

davidk on October 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Schad – awesome. Thanks. I missed that and it is truly EPIC!!

HomeoftheBrave on October 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Here’s one thing to remember as this debacle continues to roll out (of control)

Next government shutdown the health system is going to be far more attached to the federal government. Instead of putting up barbed wire so that WWII vets can’t visit their memorial, it will be doctors and nurses walking off their jobs.

Happy Nomad on October 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Ed – this post should be front page news.

davidk on October 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM

HomeoftheBrave on October 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Is it true that Chad is the guy who contributed the genetic material to Julia so that she could have a child to raise on her own while Chad lived in his parents’ basement until they died?

BuckeyeSam on October 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I hear O’Care’s Facebook page has comments that are schadenfreude worthy.

mjbrooks3 on October 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Schad – awesome. Thanks. I missed that and it is truly EPIC!!

HomeoftheBrave on October 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Welcome – glad I moved it over to this column…needed more prominence.

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I’ve gotta work, I’ll check in late.

MontanaMmmm on October 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Hang tough, MM.

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM

In Goebbelian fashion they call this “obama’s new strategy”.

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I totally called this one. After all, if there are other people trying to sign up on the federal exchange (and presumably there are) why should only one person have been successful? No one has been successful is the real answer.

The GOP should ask the administration why they object to a delay in the implementation of the individual mandate, since victims of 404Care plainly cannot sign up. What kind of government makes it a crime to not comply with a law and then makes it impossible to comply?

Tyranny, that’s what kind.

MTF on October 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Aw…. Give the guy a break! Little Chad is just a shining example of an up and coming Democrat liar. He’s just learning!!

mobydutch on October 4, 2013 at 4:45 PM

it will be doctors and nurses walking off their jobs.

Happy Nomad on October 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM

So do you think they will be like this woman…

Answer: Of course they will because they will then work for the government.

UnderstandingisPower on October 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Tyranny, that’s what kind.

MTF on October 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I think it’s pretty clear now that was and is the point.

UnderstandingisPower on October 4, 2013 at 4:48 PM

This guy had the opportunity to buy insurance directly from a carrier at a better price before Tuesday. I’m curious why he was waiting.

mmorgan21 on October 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM

How much did Ida May Fuller, the first recipient of a cheque, pay into the Social Security Programme?

$24.75

How much in lifetime benefits did Ida May Fuller receive?

$22,888.92

No, I am not exaggerating.

Unlike most of her fellow Americans, she lived to be 100.

Resist We Much on October 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Oops, wrong thread. Sorry.

Resist We Much on October 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM

FINALLY got on to O-Care NY, and refused to provide my SSN.

Before I could proceed, I needed to provide a REASON why I didn’t have one (put “Do not want to provide a SSN,” and then it asked me “Why aren’t you eligible?” (the choices being “religious objection” or “Other”).

It then asked me to provide my County and State, but the drop-down menu doesn’t work. So we’re back to Square One.

But I’m sure all these glitches will be cleared up once I’m actually sick! \\

Maddie on October 4, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Hey, verby! Come defend this one. I need a good laugh. 52%!

Bwahahaha!

kingsjester on October 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Here bud, you can have one of mine. I haven’t been able to stop laughing all day, actually since yesterday. Lolz!

Bmore on October 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM

For those of us who spent the day with the non-furloughed TSA, could you let us in on the 52% joke?

Nutstuyu on October 4, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Ace now reports this guy is a paid social media advocate for Obama. Creepy job.

Anyway, he lied when he said he enrolled. And he lied by omission when he didn’t admit he was paid to be a liar for Obama.

And Sarah Kliff, and all the other propagandists at WaPo and other MSM, is either credulous or also a paid advocate for ObamaCare? Which is it?

MTF on October 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

They do not separate the payments from the potential tax credit. Thier payments could be as low as what they say, but likely will be higher. The actual payments are higher, and they won’t know the offset until tax time.

MarkT on October 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Ace now reports this guy is a paid social media advocate for Obama. Creepy job.

Given the dismal quality of some of the trolls this week, I wonder if some of them are OFA paid advocates of Obamanomics?

If anything, they are a clear indictment of how problematic our education system is today and the decisions to stop teaching civics and critical thinking.

Athos on October 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Has anyone actually signed up yet, or are they still waiting the site to function? I don’t know one person who has signed up.

I don’t think the site is up at all; you’re all being punk’d by Duh Won. Only the ACA hackers have functional web sites.

Philly on October 4, 2013 at 6:22 PM

“Sign up” probably means “signed up and opened an account on the exchange.”

You probably get a password, then you can tell everyone you are signed up for Obamacare….not for insurance, that costs money.

Fleuries on October 4, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Ace’s link here
It seems that young Chad is a PAID political activist …
… but, PAID by whom????
… and why? TO get young people to sign up for something that is actually NOT in their best interests?
… Enquiring Minds Want to Know …

Arbalest on October 4, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I have tried to open an account on the exchange for days. The web site throws errors for valid information on the security question page, lol. What a joke.

Philly on October 4, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Here in MN the website for ObamaCare mnsure.org has no information available as to what providers the various plans have available. That would make anyone who were actually signed up to be either stupid or incredibly naive.

Dasher on October 4, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Via Twitter:

Ezra Klein ‏@ezraklein 5h
Headline we wanted to use: Bad Chad fad makes Chad dad sad, mad. http://wapo.st/1aSNOoT

Retweeted by Allahpundit

ITguy on October 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM

They do not separate the payments from the potential tax credit. Their payments could be as low as what they say, but likely will be higher. The actual payments are higher, and they won’t know the offset until tax time.

MarkT on October 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Couldn’t they rework IRS withholding to reflect the expected credit?

slickwillie2001 on October 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM

The Democratic party seems to consist of only liars and the brain dead minions who incapable of or unwilling to investigate the lies those liars tell.

If the only way to gin up success for your ideology is to fake it, there’s a problem with your ideology.

jrgdds on October 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Lolz!!! You just can’t make this stuff up!!!

Bmore on October 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Apparently, he did.

Lanceman on October 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Chad Henderson is now being compared to Milli Vanilli.

HAHAHAHA!

Resist We Much on October 4, 2013 at 11:31 PM

btw how sad is it that the Media’s Great Big Awesome Tale of ObamaCare’s Awesomeness is that one intense Obama partisan claimed to enroll?

— The_One_Who_Brings (@AceofSpadesHQ) October 4, 2013

This, this and this +1000! LOL! ROTFL! :) :) :)

Theophile on October 4, 2013 at 11:50 PM

jrgdds on October 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Welcome to the Potemkin Village. :)

Theophile on October 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I don’t get it. The baby in this story is 21 years old, and well under the age of maturity (26) and thereby covered by mommsy and daddy. Why would he “have” to sign up for anything?

Marcus on October 5, 2013 at 7:31 AM

News bulletin:

Drama Queen acts like Drama Queen.

Film @ 11.