Ted Cruz: I feel like I’ve been on the floor in absentia with Dems “invoking my name as the root of all evil in the world”

posted at 6:01 pm on October 4, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

I confess that I don’t quite see the motivation for doing otherwise, because that would mean at least obliquely acknowledging that Republicans are in fact not blackguardly rapscallions whose singular goals extend no further than spitefully denying health insurance and food stamps to poor families while personally humiliating President Obama — and that ain’t gonna’ fly. Click the pic to watch at Mediaite:

photo Screenshot2013-10-04at42132PM_zps40055e53.png

I thank the senator from New York for his heartfelt concern for the Republican party, and I note that the senator from New York stated that I “have advocated shutting down the government.” That statement, unfortunately, is a flat-out falsehood, and I know the senator from New York would not do so knowingly. So, it must have been a mistaken statement, because throughout the course of this debate I have said repeatedly, in every context, we should not shut the government down. A shutdown is a mistake, and I very much hoped that the majority leader would not force a shutdown on this country. We are in a shutdown because the Democrats in this body have refused to negotiate, refused to compromise. And I would note as well, I am quite grateful for the majority leader’s admonition this morning towards civility on the floor, and the senator from Illinois’s admonition towards Rule 19. That it an admonition well heard, indeed, it was quite striking — you know, it has been several days since I have been to the floor of the Senate and yet, I feel that I have been here in absentia, because so many Democrats have invoked my name as the root of all evil in the world. And indeed, the same majority leader that gave an ode to civility, just a few days ago was describing me, and anyone who might agree that we should stop the harms of ObamaCare, describing us as “anarchists.” So I think the encouragement toward civility is an encouragement that should be heard across the board.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Homemade pecan pie. And, I’ll throw in my ex-wife. I was going to fly down to pick up tamales, homemade in the kitchen of a little Mexican woman.
Red and green chili from New Mexico? You’re gonna get beat down if you try that past Fort Stockton.

RovesChins on October 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM

You apparently know nothing of our pecans here in NM…

Fort Stockton? Hatch green chile? Chimayo red chile? San Antonio? – Clue – not in Texas. Velarde red? Oh, we’ve been making hams here long before your little “common-wealth” existed.

You think chile is beans in red gravy that the vaqueros ate because their employers were from NYC.

oldroy on October 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM

No. Really. Take her, please!

RovesChins on October 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Can she shag firewood?

oldroy on October 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Of some note:

Our family old ones did not take other people horses or stuff.

Any old nag they collected was in to sorry of shape for any one to want. Most of the time it took two or more years to get them in shape to drive them to a sale to the U.S. Goverment.

Now that I think about it they were sort of on the U.S. dole via the horse sale bussiness…..
My guess is they did not see it that way…

APACHEWHOKNOWS on October 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Amen to that. He is a menace.

Bradky on October 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM

The cock-roaches are gathering poo before winter.

oldroy on October 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM

My esteemed fellow commenter at HA. Didn’t Cruz himself along with Harry Reid ask for civility in dialogue?

He would admonish you for your name calling….

Bradky on October 4, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Sorry. My esteemed cock-roach. What is your purpose on a conservative blog except to collect poo for winter?

oldroy on October 4, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Zing!!!

Bitter Clinger on October 4, 2013 at 8:34 PM

APACHEWhoKnows? – Lipan Apache mean anything? Carrizozo/Trinity lava fields maybe?

oldroy on October 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Zing!!!

Bitter Clinger on October 4, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Thanks. I try. I’ve been studying up – Katy the mean has my undying admiration. Of coarse, Dell and his sun-powered sun-dials. Bishop. Resist. Gosh… thanks….

oldroy on October 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM

oldroy on October 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Possibly mus-identified Comanche? Or Mescaleros just looking for a warm place in the winter?

oldroy on October 4, 2013 at 8:47 PM

oldroy on October 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Because being the bestest anonymous insulter hiding behind a keyboard is the bright shining goal to aspire to?

LOL

Bradky on October 4, 2013 at 8:48 PM

LOL

Bradky on October 4, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Oh. So Sorry. An ideology and party based on no substance and insult only getting it’s ass kicked? Bummer. You dish it out and ar egiven back by 1/10th fold and you cry? You work in the white house or the DNC?

oldroy on October 4, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Sorry all. Lamb shoulder and Apricot wine await. Arugula. Fall radishes. Small sweet-potato. Real things of substance from a garden and a pasture. Good weekend to all.

oldroy on October 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM

oldroy on October 4, 2013 at 8:52 PM

See how you did that? Constantly refreshing the page to see if someone commented on your comment? Little OCD as well as prickly aren’t we?
You do realize that I commented on the post where you bragged about studying up on the HA insulters at large don’t you. Yet you manage to come up with this gem:

I’d spend a little more time boning up on my comprehension skills rather than how to be more snarky.

Cry? Hardly. More like laugh at you.

Bradky on October 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Bradky on October 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I’ve got real food and a lovely wife to go to. You have a shift of trolling at minimum wage.

oldroy on October 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Bradky of the loud Barking post,

Any up date on how much the current debt should be held to and what of the long term unfunded libilities, other than cutting it off cold turkey.
Shall we say not new programs until those on the books are made solvent or do we put more on the dole that will also fail soon.

As things are all the skin is in the game and a skinless population might be prone to sickness.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on October 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Looks like Sarah Palin has a roommate in someone’s head.

CurtZHP on October 4, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Buy stock in mattress companies.

Murphy9 on October 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I think that makes a nice start to reduce the debt.

Bradky on October 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Not one thing that cuts the fat or the power of the politicians.
Interesting.

Mimzey on October 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM

These guys must sign up during open admission and sit and wait.

oldroy on October 4, 2013 at 8:01 PM

There are certain “Republicans” in here who spent most of their time in 2012 election threads, basically disappeared after Romney’s defeat, and have shown back up recently again after “anonymous” attacks on Cruz started a couple weeks before the shutdown. I’ll leave it to you to guess why this might be.

Hopefully he will not end up costing the GOP the House of Representatives and/or the Senate.

Terrye on October 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Don’t worry, he won’t. Just like you were completely wrong about gun control, you’ll also be wrong about this. If the Republicans lose the House it will be their own d*mn faults… well, theirs and people like you.

Doomberg on October 4, 2013 at 10:34 PM

He really is an iron fist in a velvet glove, isn’t he? And he’s just gonna get better and better.

Cleombrotus on October 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Just scanned the Cruz statement. A level of discourse I haven/t seen often out of Congress.

I would like Cruz to be President.

Because of this initiative, the WH is cornering itself. Cruz was effective because he had a big base of supporters, and that counts as muscle in this town. Second, he is really smart, which is why his enemies are calling him stupid.

You want a Commander in Chief, you need someone who recognizes the need to cross the Delaware, in winter, because if they do not, the war is over. Guts and brains.

On this I do not discount the ones with him, Rand, Lee et all. Cruz was made the symbol by his enemies in both parties, because they fear him the most and hope to use this event to destroy him. Too late. They crowned him, which was their mistake

Lee, Rand, Cruz all who put it out there for their constituents, not for their cronies, thanks a million. Unforgettable

entagor on October 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Not one thing that cuts the fat or the power of the politicians.
Interesting.

Mimzey on October 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Until you go after entitlements and subsidies the debt won’t shrink. As to cutting the power of the politicians? Right…. if they would enact the types of cuts I mentioned they would reduce their power.

oldroy on October 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM

It only took three minutes to respond this time. Page refresh page refresh page refresh, “oh nooo he didn’t – let me comment back”

You proved my point so well. Thanks.

Bradky on October 5, 2013 at 6:48 AM

We’ve seen these very techniques before in Nazi Germany–and before you accuse me, the truth is never over the top.

Don L on October 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I stand with you Mr. Cruz… it’s WAAAY too bad YOUR not Speaker of the House. Then we would know OCare ain’t going no where, BUT we have a bunch of wet, limp noodles in the House. I have ZERO confindence in them, PERIOD
If the House caves, I say it’s time for THAT 3rd party.

mmcnamer1 on October 5, 2013 at 2:28 PM

No one here honestly thinks that the press reported this in any context.

This whole thing is laughable really. The democrats aren’t interested in adhering to their own rules and no one will report it. So why bother?

JP1986UM on October 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Alas Ted, I think you have more to fear from castrated Republicans!Disgraces that they are!

redware on October 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM

you can tell Ted is a Texan, he just said the equivalent of “bless your heart” to that NY idiot. Here in Texas (and most of the south) this is how it works. Well that Suzie, she paid full price for a dress I got on sale bless her heart

Bless your heart=idiot