WaPo: Has anyone been able to sign up for ObamaCare through the federal exchange yet?

posted at 4:01 pm on October 3, 2013 by Allahpundit

Ed mentioned this piece in an earlier post but I feel obliged to give it an extra nudge. There are glitches, there are serious glitches, and then there’s number-one ObamaCare fan Ezra Klein running pieces on his WaPo blog wondering if a single human being has yet managed to enroll in O-Care via the Healthcare.gov website. And as icing on the cake, the post is punctuated with an image of … a unicorn.

For the second time today: Am I awake?

The federal government has said that somewhere out in this vast country of 313 million people, where 48 million lack insurance coverage, someone has managed to sign up for health insurance on the federally-run marketplaces. As of yet, we haven’t tracked this person – or these people – down…

There are certainly lots of people trying to buy health insurance on the marketplace, that much is clear from my inbox. “I am trying to sign my wife up for an individual policy on Healthcare.gov and it’s still basically impossible,” one reader in Florida wrote to me Thursday morning. “I tried to create the account again and was told my username already existed for another account. I then closed the web browser and started looking around for a drink (if it weren’t 8:30 a.m…).”…

But the federal marketplace is a bit of a black box right now. There’s been heavy traffic, with over 4.7 million visitors since the exchanges opened for enrollment on Tuesday. The White House says some applicants have signed up, but didn’t say how many. Rumors in the insurance industry hover in the single digits; several health plans say they are unaware of anyone signing up for their plan. BlueCross BlueShield of North Carolina says it has enrolled one person.

The good news? Since WaPo posted that this morning, they found someone who enrolled successfully on the federal exchange. His name’s Chad Henderson. It took him three hours and his plan cost him “a little more than I was expecting.” (Some enrollees on the state exchanges are finding the same thing.) And he’s now apparently spending most of his waking hours taking calls from reporters since he’s the only person they can find — in America — who can report a somewhat useful experience on the Healthcare.gov site. Obama tried to explain that away yesterday by claiming that the demand over the first two days has far exceeded expectations; in that case, how low were their expectations that they weren’t prepared for several million curiosity seekers on launch day of the most momentous social program in decades? Haven’t there been a few presidential speeches and a few thousand news stories over the past several weeks reminding people that October 1 was the big day? Did they … not understand that there might be a heavy load on government servers as a result?

Philip Klein tried setting up an account on Healthcare.gov this morning and had to eat an even tastier shinola sandwich than he did on Tuesday.

My Thursday morning attempt to login to the main Healthcare.gov hub that’s supposed to serve residents of 36 states, was greeted with a 404 error: “The requested URL /serverdown.html was not found.”…

Roughly 40 percent of enrollees in the exchanges will need to be young and healthy so that they can offset the cost of covering sicker patients and those with pre-existing conditions. Those with extremely high medical expenses are the most likely to endure whatever technical hurdles arise and keep trying until they’re able to successfully enroll. But those who are more ambivalent — the young and healthy with low medical expenses — could get discouraged. That would have disastrous consequences for the law.

For all of the outreach efforts by the administration and outside groups, word of mouth is likely to be the most powerful factor influencing people’s decisions about accessing the exchanges. The administration wants to get to the point where, if a bunch of friends in their 20s are talking about health insurance, one will say, “Oh, I went on that new Obamacare exchange and it was really easy and I was able to get affordable insurance, I’ll send you the link.” But instead, if too many people say, “I tried to buy insurance but the website was barely functional, and when I finally searched the plans they were more expensive than I thought,” it’s really going to dampen enrollment.

And that, of course, explains why even Ezra Klein’s site is mocking the White House for its incompetence. The more bad press HHS gets about the website from the media, including friendly media — especially friendly media — the more urgently they’ll try to fix it. Embarrassing coverage could be useful to ObamaCare fans, frankly, in fanning the fire that’s been lit under the White House’s ass. Although, honestly, even if the site was glitchy for a month, I think O and his big-data brain trust would find ways to put the word out comprehensively once it’s fixed. They’ve got a gigantic mailing list and experts in social media on staff; reaching “young invincibles” to let them know that Healthcare.gov is no longer as unstable as Geocities circa 1995 can’t be that difficult for them, especially given the stakes.

Via CNN, here’s Sanjay Gupta reporting yesterday on his experience with Kentucky’s state-run health exchange website, which did somehow manage to enroll a few thousand people — and, apparently, frustrated many, many more. Gupta says he spoke to roughly 100 people to see how things went for them when they tried to sign up. Results: 0 for 100. Exit question: Could free smartphones be the answer?

Update: The RNC piles on.

Comments

Why would they get ANYONE? Everyone is qualifying for Medicaid, so they don’t need to sign up for 600 a month plans.

OT.. I tried to get on Tennessee’s website several times just to see if I could- and it failed every time.

melle1228 on October 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM

As much as the glitches/accessibility problems shows the Obama Administration’s incompetence… can we just get back to learning about how bad Obamacare is in it’s own right?!? Cheeses, man!

The Nerve on October 3, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I have encountered some anger emerging from some unexpected people who are otherwise apolitical.

They seem genuinely surprised at the specter of Obamacare.

mjbrooks3 on October 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Who would have thought that Obamacares not ready for prime time players would actually be not ready? The Republicans that’s who.

meci on October 3, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Wishful thinking, but maybe this is the way to defeat Obamacare…no one signs up.

Actually, I’m wondering if it’s partly because your low-information types thought it would make health insurance completely free and aren’t signing up when they see the cost.

Waggoner on October 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM

They seem genuinely surprised at the specter of Obamacare.

mjbrooks3 on October 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Yep there is a whole thread on twitter of people just realizing that they can be fined if they don’t sign up for insurance.

melle1228 on October 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM

No, but I have heard of thousands of people who have lost their insurance coverage……

ObamaCare will still not be a guarantee of decent health coverage or a guarantee that
expensive medications will be covered.

Just talked to my doctor. We are planning on the eventually that I may not have health insurance.

I told my wife if I have a heart attack – just put the plastic bag over my head and leave me be.

redguy on October 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM

melle1228 on October 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM

The fines are not big enough to “make” people buy ObamaCare. The fines will come out of their tax refunds – or the feds might even seize it directly from your bank account.

redguy on October 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM

If this was done by a business, it would have failed and gone out of business on opening.

ajacksonian on October 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I was curious and made an honest attempt. One page would send me back to the beginning. Rinse and repeat.

gatorboy on October 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM

They seem genuinely surprised at the specter of Obamacare.

mjbrooks3 on October 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Surprised? In what way?

redguy on October 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Debacle.

No other word.

Chuck Schick on October 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Well how about that. It really is rocket surgery. Who knew?

onomo on October 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM

gatorboy on October 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I have tried for 3 days….different browsers and computers – no cigar.
I just want to find out how much this goddamned ObamaCare is going to rape me for.
I have called 3 insurance agents, they keep telling me to go to healthcare.gov first….

Well goddammit, *uckyo!!!!!

redguy on October 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Anyone? Anyone?

whatcat on October 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Haha, paging Bishop…yup, exactly what was talked about yesterday is happening.

I guess the developers assumed 100% smooth sailing with nary a interruption in the signup process. Morons…

nextgen_repub on October 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Debacle.

No other word.

Chuck Schick on October 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Obama is laughing his ass off – this program is going as the marxists designed it…..

redguy on October 3, 2013 at 4:18 PM

CA Obamacare website still gives me “Error 500″

El_Terrible on October 3, 2013 at 4:19 PM

They couldn’t answer the phone. They were all trying to screw in the same light bulb. One of those new ones.
That mercury is a m*therf!cker.

onomo on October 3, 2013 at 4:19 PM

For the second time today: Am I awake?

That’s 3 times in less than 24 hours.

Eeyore, is that you?

Resist We Much on October 3, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I heard the Obamas’ fake twitter horde are all enrolled.

LetsBfrank on October 3, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Well, I haven’t successfully made it through the application yet. But I am getting closer. I have a feeling that if I have all the proper information together, I may get there tomorrow. So far, 3 days and counting and about 2 1/2 hours spent on this.

Now, I don’t plan on buying anything, because I expect it to be way out of my price range, but I’m interested in seeing how much it will be.

Chris of Rights on October 3, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Wow. Dug deep for that one, AP!

nukemhill on October 3, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I wish someone would put a “Number of people who could enroll in Obamacare” counter next to one for our growing debt. Maybe throw in one for “Number on Food Stamps” too for good measure.

nextgen_repub on October 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Obama tried to explain that away yesterday by claiming that the demand over the first two days has far exceeded expectations…

Which is absolute nonsense. In order for this to work probably over 400k people a day need to sign up between now and the end of March. If we’re going to take Obama at his word that means they were expecting this to be a total failure.

NotCoach on October 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Heh.
Love me some Web 1.0 based snark.

whatcat on October 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM

‘You didn’t built that’ is now and was always ‘we don’t really knows how to build anything.’

LetsBfrank on October 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

“It was a little more than I was expecting,” he says. “I like the doctor benefits, but I would have really liked a plan that includes dental and vision, since I have contacts. That kind of stuff I would have preferred.”

Those have always been separate plans, Chad. Obamacare is about health insurance, not dental and vision.

This is the guy they put forward (and that’s what they did) to say the exchange was a-ok? He “wants it to succeed”, so he’s going to downplay (and spun like a top to do it) all the bad things. Yet he couldn’t deny reality, and the WaPo was gritting it’s teeth the whole article.

Jeff Weimer on October 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

From what it sounds, these exchanges really seem about as available as Geocities circa 2013…

Gingotts on October 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM

The website is racist

faraway on October 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM

The requested URL /serverdown.html was not found.

You just can’t make this stuff up. This is the sort of stuff we hire teenagers to set up.

Chuck Schick on October 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM

For the less technically inclined, a 404 error is Web site code saying that a page could not be found. Note the page address it was trying, and unable, to find… serverdown.html.

So not only did they fail at creating a Web site that could serve its customers after three years of development, but they managed to build a site that failed so epically that it couldn’t manage to load the page that tells you it’s failed…

Shump on October 3, 2013 at 4:26 PM

…because 20-somethings actually talk/think that way? More likely:

“Uh huh, you know I was like all on that new Obamacare thing, ya know, and it was like really easy so I was like, whatever, and like I was like so able to get affordable, like, what-do-you-call-it, I’ll send you the link. Oh, cute shoes!”

bofh on October 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM

‘You didn’t built that’ is now and was always ‘we don’t really knows how to build anything ourselves.’

LetsBfrank on October 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Better.

LetsBfrank on October 3, 2013 at 4:28 PM

What I do know is that if my employer here in California decides to punt us to ObamaCare, I’ll be screwed.

About $1,000 a month for my family, up from the $230 I pay now. And add to that out of pocket expenses, no way this is cheaper.

Blue Collar Todd on October 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Reports that Capitol shooter was White African American

faraway on October 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Chad Henderson, a 21-year-old in Georgia

Hey, shouldn’t he be on his parents’ insurance?

Fallon on October 3, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Am I awake?

Who knows? But you are always aware.

Schadenfreude on October 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM

OT: reports that woman was unable to drive in DC without running into a BarryCade

faraway on October 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM

They seem genuinely surprised at the specter of Obamacare.

mjbrooks3 on October 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Surprised and apolitical, no my friend, that would be a Lib…only their ilk wouldn’t have known after 3 yrs about DisasterCare…

hillsoftx on October 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM

these exchanges really seem about as available as Geocities circa 2013…

Gingotts on October 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Actually, Geocities is more available now.
10 Bizarre Geocities Pages That Still Exist

There’s also at least one archive site that has a good amount of the old contents.

whatcat on October 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Maybe, but more likely not, in view of the fact that their $1 billion national ad campaign has failed to either inform or persuade them.

bgoldman on October 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Once again, the current administration proves it’s incompetence.

Who knew?

GarandFan on October 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM

The System is down at the moment.

We’re working to resolve the issue as soon as possible. Please try again later.

steebo77 on October 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM

melle1228 on October 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM

You mean a tax? Thank you John Roberts.

tommer74 on October 3, 2013 at 4:39 PM

So 1 person out of 48 million uninsured signed up on the federal exchange.

Hey. That’s better than none.

In the wonderful world of D.C. bureaucrats, this should be a rousing success. It actually worked.

Barrycare and Barrycades. What a week.

MichaelGabriel on October 3, 2013 at 4:39 PM

A blogger posted yesterday that she was successful in signing up. Her numbers are unbelievable. Here are her claims:

My $811 monthly premiums would be reduced to $85 per month
My $2400 annual medical deductible would be reduced to $500
My current maximum out-of-pocket expenses are determined by a complicated multitude of factors and would be reduced from a minimum of $4800 per year to $2250 per year
My regular primary care physician visits are going to be reduced from $150 to $15
My lab work, x-rays, mammograms, etc. will be reduced to a maximum of $15 each–many preventative visits are INCLUDED in the monthly premiums!

Comments at the site however indicate that others are getting rate quotes that are double their existing premiums and for diminished benefits.

debg on October 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM

The Feral Exchange.

patman77 on October 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

MichaelGabriel on October 3, 2013 at 4:39 PM

If you sent out 48 million invitations to a party 3.5 years in advance and only 1 person showed up, would you call that proof that people were ‘hungry’ for your celebration?

Tom Harkin would.

Resist We Much on October 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I just want to point out, for the record, that I called it

I wonder if anybody at all has been able to sign up through the federally-run portions of the exchange.

I remember New Hampshire [sic], I think it was, crowing about how they signed up 22 people in 3 hours. But I’m beginning to question whether maybe the “please wait” signs are just on a feedback loop.

Has anybody signed up at all? Or are all the federal servers down, but pretending that they are slow but operational?

The Schaef on October 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM

The Schaef on October 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Anyone seen the phone number to call and enroll? Destined to be a classic.

chewmeister on October 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Geesh, here’s the link to my post above:

debg on October 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

And to think those radicals in the House GOP thought the individual mandate be delayed for a year and that actual members of Congress should sit down and sign up like the little people.

Happy Nomad on October 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Hey, shouldn’t he be on his parents’ insurance?

Fallon on October 3, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Parents dumped him into the exchanges like a hot potato.

VibrioCocci on October 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Resist We Much on October 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

No, you’d report that millions had dropped by. The do that with crowd counts on the National Mall all the time.

Happy Nomad on October 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM

i enrolled on the massachusetts exchange today to start jan 1.

i did not request a subsidy

gerrym51 on October 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Well goddammit, *uckyo!!!!!

redguy on October 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I see you have the 1-800 number memorized. :)

Dr. Conservative on October 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Anyone seen the phone number to call and enroll? Destined to be a classic.

chewmeister on October 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Yep. Right up there with what the Pentagon called the task force to assess the damage caused by Bradley Manning’s treasonous dumping of hundreds of thousands of classified documents…

The Wikileaks Task Force otherwise referred to as WTF.

Happy Nomad on October 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Thing about tech, sticker shock and consumer behavior, they take a lot of time to work out. The GOP WILL win this one and be marked as anti-Obamacare party, if only they keep their spine.

plaidsheetman on October 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I can’t get through to healthcare.gov, but I check the prices for individual policies directly through Coventry and BCBS in my state. As of 1/1/2014 we will be trading our $3100/mo family policy for 3 individual policies, same coverage as now, for $1100. The over 50 crowd will probably be the only ones who will benefit from Obamacare.

bopbottle on October 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Happy Nomad on October 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Good times.

chewmeister on October 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Unless I am living under a rock, I haven’t heard of one single success story of anyone having been signed up online with Obamacare since the official start yesterday. Not one. You would think the MSM would be touting individual success stories, or at least one success story, but there is nothing online about anyone successfully signing uo, i.e. getting all the way through the process.

Isn’t that a pretty glaring omission in all the hoopla? Is this a side benefit of the government shutdown? How come no one is calling any attention to this besides me?

I must be horribly misinformed.

parke on October 2, 2013 at 10:16 PM

… or maybe not.

parke on October 3, 2013 at 5:09 PM

debg on October 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM

if your between 100-200 percent of poverty level that sounds right.
as far as insurance is concerned-at least obamacare-poor is better.

gerrym51 on October 3, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Senate Democrats blocked four resolutions to fund government programs, including paying the National Guard and opening national parks, as Republicans offered the limited measures in an attempt to win the government shutdown fight by financing popular programs and leaving those they oppose untouched.

“Unbelievably, today Senate Democrats went on record to oppose funding for National Guard and Reserve salaries, veterans’ services, lifesaving medicine and cures, and national parks and museums,” Senate Republican Conference chairman John Thune, R-S.D., said in a release following the procedural battle.

“Congress unanimously passed a bill to ensure active-duty military personnel are paid during this lapse in government funding, and it’s unclear why Senate Democrats wouldn’t pass similar measures to fund these important services,” Thune said.

Murphy9 on October 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I can totally understand how several million people in one day can crash a webserver. After all it takes a big company like YouTube to have 1 million unique views in a month. …. …. What’s that, oh, one billion …. Nevermind. Emily Litella. Web Maven

normschaef on October 3, 2013 at 5:22 PM

From what I can tell you can be low income, not qualify for Medicaid and get subsidies and you only have to pay a couple of dollars for monthly premiums. The problem is that you still have thousands of dollars in a deductible to meet and high copayments.

Blake on October 3, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Ed Schultz Touts Obamacare Snafus as … ‘the Free Market Working’!

It’s definitely ‘Fly Your Я3t@rD Flag Day!’

Resist We Much on October 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Blake on October 3, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Yes, it might be better for some of our ‘working poor’ to lower their income to the point where they can stay or get into Medicaid. Hard to say the extent of the problem because Medicaid rules vary from state to state.

slickwillie2001 on October 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Glitches? How can any sane person describe these as glitches? It’s an epic fail. What have they been doing for three years? Programmers can put a site like that together in a matter of months, with all the bells and whistles, and they would have tested it out over and over and not launched it until all the glitches were fixed. There’s no excuse for people who probably make 6 figures a year to throw this out there when it obviously doesn’t work. What a farce.

scalleywag on October 3, 2013 at 5:39 PM

The GOP need to remind people that this administration had 3 1/2 years to get their act together.

djaymick on October 3, 2013 at 5:42 PM

New T-shirt.
I went to sign up for healthcare, but all I got was a lousy error message. (or this lousy T-shirt)

djaymick on October 3, 2013 at 5:44 PM

We Have Lift-Off!

Another Drew on October 3, 2013 at 5:44 PM

What a farce.

scalleywag on October 3, 2013 at 5:39 PM

And not the least bit surprising. People should be glad they weren’t able to sign on to this program. Can you imagine trying to get a coverage issue resolved once you’re covered when they can’t even figure out how to sign people up?

But noooooo, the Republicans are evil by trying to delay what obviously is not ready for prime time. Idiots.

scalleywag on October 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Imagine if you were in the private sector, told your boss healthcare.gov was ready to launch, and then customer complaints started rolling in and the media was showing how they themselves weren’t able to use it. Would you still have a job? In DC you’d get a promotion.

scalleywag on October 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM

We should keep this guy’s name in mind. Why do I say that? For two reasons. To see if his identity has been stolen and how many times (in different states) this guy will vote. The new media is worrying about identity theft and wiping out a person’s savings (which is cause for concern), but voter fraud could become rampant.

djaymick on October 3, 2013 at 5:59 PM

0 for 100

FTW!

ted c on October 3, 2013 at 6:00 PM

BTW, they somehow managed to make the 1-800-F1CKYO number even less useless than the website. They took my info (fake, of course) and then told me to get on the website. I asked for pricing info over the phone, and she told me she couldn’t do that. I had to go on the website. So, the phone call was like the signup process on the website without the option to actually sign up.

crrr6 on October 3, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Debacle.

No other word.

Chuck Schick on October 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Quagmire.

de rigueur on October 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM

They seem genuinely surprised at the specter of Obamacare.

mjbrooks3 on October 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM

melle1228 on October 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM

and..there it is there
the prime reason I oppose this clusterf+^k.

seesalrun2 on October 3, 2013 at 6:37 PM

further, I would never ever access that site (that site that shall not be named, acronyms anyone?). Putting data into it releases God knows what.

seesalrun2 on October 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM

The Obamacare launch, illustrated:

crrr6 on October 3, 2013 at 6:56 PM

How many operational brain cells do you need to realize this was coming. Anyone that knew how to perform a CBA has been saying for 3 years they would be more expensive than anyone thought.

chemman on October 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Answer is no. Complete failure. Repeal.

Amazingoly on October 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Fyi, I just tried to sign in for North Carolina.

Got the healthcare equivalent of the blue screen of death, at 9:12pm EST.

Who are the morons that put together this website? You think with all his silicon valley dollars he wouldn’t have put idiots in charge.

itsspideyman on October 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Rush talked about a law student who got in, and got a SUPER rate …

Yup.

pambi on October 3, 2013 at 9:56 PM

bopbottle on October 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM

$3100/mo * 12 = $37200 a year.

Our entire family never consumed that much medical care in any year, and there were 7 of us when the kids were all home.

AesopFan on October 4, 2013 at 12:48 AM

There is no way in the world that they will get 40 percent of the enrolees to be young, healthy people. They don’t have the money, they don’t have the jobs and they can figure out that it is a horrible deal for them.

This thing is already in a death spiral two days in. Wow.

Theophile on October 4, 2013 at 4:04 AM