McAfee Antivirus founder: “What idiot put this system out there?”

posted at 1:21 pm on October 3, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Whatever other — ahem — eccentricities antivirus software company founder and technology mogul John McAfee may have, I think we can at least safely conclude that the man knows his stuff when it comes to online security, and he is decidedly not impressed with the setup of the many separate yet intertwining systems flying under the banner of ObamaCare. Divorcing his criticisms from the underlying purpose of the law itself, McAfee ripped ObamaCare’s technological arrangement and worried that all of its huge moving parts will make it a perfect environment for hackers to steal Americans’ identities, personal information, and money. The massive consolidation of so much of Americans’ sensitive data has been the prime concern of several lawmakers trying to secure a delay in the system’s implementation, but of course, their quest to make sure the system actually works and that Americans’ information is secure before putting it to an arbitrary political deadline isn’t welcome in the ranks of the Obama administration.

Oh, it’s seriously bad. Somebody made a grave error, not in designing the program but in simply implementing the web aspect of it. For example, anybody can put up a web page and claim to be a broker for this system. There is no central place where I can go and say, OK, here are all the legitimate brokers, the examiners for all of the states, and pick and choose one. Instead, any hacker can put a website up, make it look extremely competitive, and because of the nature of the system — this is health care, after all — they can ask you the most intimate questions, and you’re freely going to answer them. What’s my Social Security number? My birth date? … Here’s the problem. It’s not something software can solve. I mean, what idiot put this system out there and did not create a central depository? There should be one website, run by the government, you go to that website and then you can click on all of the agencies. This is insane. So, I will predict that the loss of income for the millions of Americans who are going to lose their identities — I mean, you can imagine some retired lady in Utah, who’s $75,000 dollars in the bank, saving her whole life — having it wiped out one day because she signed up for ObamaCare. And believe me, this is going to happen millions of times. This is a hacker’s wet dream. I cannot believe that they did this. … ObamaCare itself is the loosest of all. You can imagine the type of information: Medical records, personal issues, psychological issues. I mean, the government’s going to know everything in the world about everyone very soon.

Comments

This guy?

Writing under the name “stuffmonger,” a handle he has used on other online message boards, McAfee posted more than 200 times over the next nine months about his ongoing quest to purify psychoactive drugs from compounds commercially available over the internet. “I’m a huge fan of MDPV,” he wrote. “I think it’s the finest drug ever conceived, not just for the indescribable hypersexuality, but also for the smooth euphoria and mild comedown.”

Elsewhere, he described his pursuit of “super perv powder” and warned about the dangers of handling the freebase version of the drug: “I had visual and auditory hallucinations and the worst paranoia of my life.” He recommended that the most effective way to take a dose is via rectal insertion, a procedure known as “plugging,” writing: “Measure your dose, apply a small amount of saliva to just the tip of your middle finger, press it against the dose, insert. Doesn’t really hurt as much as it sounds. We’re in an arena (drugs/libido) that I navigate as well as anyone on the planet here. If you take my advice about this (may sound gross to some of you perhaps), you will be well rewarded.”

Wanted for murder in Belize. What ever came of that?

Murphy9 on October 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM

If obama had a web site…

Ronnie on October 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM

It’s not going to happen to me because I’m not signing up!

Dack Thrombosis on October 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM

HAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ToddPA on October 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM

As much as I HATE McAfee, I love what he just said.

Get ESET NOD32. You need to get McAfee swiped from your computer at a store. Otherwise you’ll always have a McAfee component in your computer.

patman77 on October 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Whatever other — ahem — eccentricities

That whole murder charge and flight from prosecution thing …

Paul-Cincy on October 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Only a government can make you put all your personal information necessary for identity theft into an unsecure system.

These are the idiots wanting to run healthcare.

You were warned about what happens with a Death March project.

What we have is ALPHA code. It has not been properly debugged or beta tested. And, at this rate, it never will be because the amount of man hours to do so will exceed the entire cost of getting it this far. The more people and time you shovel at this, the more it costs and the fewer results you will get for it because people leave a sinking ship of a project faster than you can train replacements.

And you can bet the original coders left quite some time ago.

ajacksonian on October 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I thought he was in jail South of the Border someplace, waiting trial for murder.

S. Weasel on October 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM

With such a successful roll out I’m sooooper sure that the actual implementation will be fantastic!

SMART Power!!!!111111!!!!elebinty

jukin3 on October 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Well they do think people have to be reminded to drink water, so they have rocket scientist levels smarts

txmomof6 on October 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM

What? You mean https://www.coveredcalifornia.com might be BOGUS?! Who could have seen that coming?!

UnderstandingisPower on October 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Ed –
You mean the websites aren’t working perfectly on day one?

verbaluce on October 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM

NotCoach on October 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM

And you can bet the original coders left quite some time ago.

ajacksonian on October 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Given that at least 50% of computer projects end in utter failure, in which camp do you suppose THIS project will fall? I’ll put money on my guess. That it will fail, spectacularly, just as Obama’s Presidency has. And by putting money on it, I mean that I won’t ever sign up for it. Unless I get some horrid heart condition, or cancer, or something else requiring hundreds of thousands of dollars of care. Then I’ll pay my $500 to cover my pre-existing condition. How long is THAT piece of bull excrement going to be able to sustain itself.

/train wreck

Paul-Cincy on October 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM

That wasnt really a question was it?

HotAirian on October 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Wanted for murder in Belize. What ever came of that?

Murphy9 on October 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM

He apparently managed to make it back to the USA and has been left alone. Not sure if the charges against him or bogus or if someone’s making sure he doesn’t get extradited.

Doomberg on October 3, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Seems like he could make an ad that some young people would find interesting.

petunia on October 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Prediction: The total clusterFluke that is the ObamaCare exchanges presents itself as an excuse for Obama to end the shutdown. He’s going to agree to delay on ObamaCare implementation to avoid the political fallout from this totally flubbed start of the exchanges.

NotCoach on October 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM

The only thing worse than McAfee pointing out the security issues, would be McAfee working for the Government to fix them. He would have to steal code from Symantec to fix the problems.

oldroy on October 3, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I have been warning you of this for months.

And these problems won’t go away. Ever.

The best you’re going to get is something that it takes some serious dedication to break into. It’s impossible to design security into this system. There’s too much data, and too many people that “need” access to it. It’s too big, and too uncontrolled. You think the NSA and IRS have problems with oversight? ObamaCare is at least 10 times the size of the NSA and IRS…combined.

Chris of Rights on October 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Sheesh, you get censored for linking to infowars here, and then a whole post with McAfee as the source?

oldroy on October 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Murphy9 on October 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Sexual deviant.

Expert on internet security.

Independent descriptors.

mankai on October 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I met McAfee many years ago at a security conference and the dude has issues no doubt. He also has a really good point as I found out when I was trying to find the WA state website the other day. After going to a couple of websites which seemed…. not right… I went to the Federal one and found it through there. Now my Mom, who does not have a C.S. degree like her son, might not end up at the same place.

AndrewsDad on October 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Chris of Rights on October 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM

If I were a Lawyer, I’d be brushing up on HIPAA regulations and figuring out how I was going to sue over lapses.

oldroy on October 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Our computer got hacked and our bank account got raided while we were using McAfee.
His product is crap just like Zerocare.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I mean, what idiot put this system out there….

Well, the multiple choices available are limitless, but there is only one correct answer.

Shouldn’t really be a hard question for a supernerd.

questionmark on October 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM

patman77 on October 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Just use a good free uninstaller program like Revo. No need to take your PC in to be charged $$$$$ for something you can do yourself at no cost in a few minutes at home.

whatcat on October 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM

He is right. But will someone clear up a great mystery? How does McAfee make money? I mean, everyone I know who has ever bought a computer with McAfee on it, immediately uninstalled it. And, no one buys it on purpose.

Alabama Infidel on October 3, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Delivered by the self-proclaimed ‘smartest people in the room’.

socalcon on October 3, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Secured Internet connection……..

One of the biggest lies ever told. McAfee is a snake oil salesman, but hey he said something we like so cool.

Happy Friday Eve Mr. Virus protector man.

PappyD61 on October 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM

questionmark on October 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Starts with…Obam….?

socalcon on October 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I would vote for McAfee over just about every person in Congress. Irrespective of party.

If only to hear these words spoken on the Senate floor; “I rise before you dudes today to offer a bill…”.

Marcus Traianus on October 3, 2013 at 1:49 PM

ObamaCare: Identity Thief’s one-stop-shop for all the data they’ll ever need! May as well start calling it Social Security for Identity Theft, because every single thief will be going there for their retirement funds.

Meople on October 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM

His product is crap just like Zerocare.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I don’t use McAfree, ALT – but to be fair all anti-malware programs will miss something or other. There some free ones that work as well – or better – than paid anti-malware/AV programs.

whatcat on October 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Best line… “Vote. Vote these b@stards out.”

mankai on October 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM

A lot of medical info is already out there, just floating around in databases that are easily accessible to almost any health practitioner.

Talked with my optometrist about how invasive I worried Ocare was going to be. He agreed, and then told me he can plug in my name and birth date…and my medical history just pops up.

Lovely.

marybel on October 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Ah, not to worry Obamacare, just another one of Obama’s shovel ready jobs.

DDay on October 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Perfect. A hacker’s wet dream. Just perfect.

John the Libertarian on October 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Paul-Cincy on October 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM

This system is the child of the Democratic Party and the Left.

They wanted it.

They have no concept of how the real world actually works and have a fantasy based ideology.

They do not understand the Theory and Practice Conundrum.

They believe that laws are passed in a static society and things will continue on just like they did before the law and that people will change in just the way they want them to.

There are rivers of blood and hundreds of millions dead to these beliefs, and yet they keep on saying that it wasn’t ‘done right’ the last time. Thus proving that they are insane and stupid, both.

And when the system implodes they will blame everyone except themselves for it, yet this is their child, their monster and when it comes for them they will be left wondering why no one is there to protect them.

ajacksonian on October 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM

name and birth date

Two things people freely offer on facebook.

Murphy9 on October 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM

“What idiot put this system out there?”

I assure you, sir, they were the finest idiots on earth!

Deafdog on October 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Murphy9 on October 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Yet another reason I don’t use FB or Twitter. And never will.

Meople on October 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Alabama Infidel on October 3, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I actually know several people who still buy and use it. Of course, all of them are low information Democrats!

Del Dolemonte on October 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM

It will create a nation of liars. Which is fitting coming from the Serial Liar in Chief.

John the Libertarian on October 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM

He’s going to get audited now.

CO2FeedsUsAll on October 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Whatever you do, don’t put Salem Communications in charge of them.

John the Libertarian on October 3, 2013 at 2:10 PM

“What idiot put this system out there?”

I assure you, sir, they were the finest idiots on earth!

Deafdog on October 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM

But highly paid idiots that have a much greater chance of exiting their jobs in the horizontal position (you don’t hire a public sector employee, you are stuck with them for life). If they REALLY screw-up, we simply put them on paid administrative leave for a few months and bring them back at a later time.

teejk on October 3, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Right before this came online, my wife and I signed up for LifeLock. I’ll be damned if I’m going to make it easy for someone to ruin my life.

Tyrs Fury on October 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Millionaire on the run: How the man who founded software giant McAfee lost his fortune and ended up hiding from police in Belize after they ‘rousted him from the bed of a 17-year-old and shot his dog because he’s running a meth lab’

John McAfee was once worth $100million but lost nearly all his fortune and moved to Central America in 2008

Belize security claim he had illegal weapons and drugs and that he was arrested with 17-year-old girl

In post on private messageboard, McAfee says he has not left his hideout for five days and only has three DVDs and an iPad – without a charger

Distributed world’s first marketable anti-virus software from his home in California in the late 1980′s.

Known to enjoy alternative therapies, new age teachings and yoga
Employed Wiccan witches to bang drums at the headquarters of his eponymous anti-virus software firm

Allegedly turned a blind eye to his employees using McAfee
Associates first offices for sex games in the early 1990s.

Faces a $5 million wrongful death lawsuit in the U.S after 61-year-old man died flying an aircraft owned by one of his firms in 2006

stingray9813 on October 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM

That whole murder charge and flight from prosecution thing …

Paul-Cincy on October 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Details Details; focus on what is important like how Mussolini made the trains run on time.

KW64 on October 3, 2013 at 2:19 PM

McAfee Antivirus founder: “What idiot put this system out there?”

Uh, Obama?

cajunpatriot on October 3, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Add that to the probability that hackers and identity thieves will glean everything they need to know to totally rip off people…we’d still have the beurocratic nightmare and lowered quality of healthcare, not to mention all the full-time jobs disappearing.

ObamaCare will surely make that massive stimulus bill from O’s first term look like wise and frugal spending.

JetBoy on October 3, 2013 at 2:20 PM

whatcat on October 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I was going to install McAfee on my phone-and friends in electronic-@ Wally-informed me that I’d regret it.
Both my phone and the home computers have free systems that seem to work well.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Both my phone and the home computers have free systems that seem to work well.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I use two…Avast free version) and Malwarebytes Pro (paid) and just for added security, Spybot Search & Destroy. So far I’m happy with those. Macafee is decent…and I’d never install Norton.

JetBoy on October 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I saw this last night. I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry…

Fallon on October 3, 2013 at 2:30 PM

patman77 on October 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Clean OS install also works. Cheaper too.

wearyman on October 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I love Cavuto.

McAfee: “Vote. Vote these ba*tards out.”

Cavuto: “Well, that’s one way of putting it.”

BuckeyeSam on October 3, 2013 at 2:35 PM

JetBoy on October 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM

We use Microsoft security essentials on the home computers and I have AVG on my phone.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM

And you can bet the original coders left quite some time ago.

ajacksonian on October 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Your comment reminds me of another government software system DOEHRS, the Defense Occupational & Environmental Health Recordkeeping System. No one who uses it likes it, there are much better Management System software packages available in the Private sector but because they invested so much money and time in DOEHRS it has enough inertia and people whose job is to maintain it that it survives the users revulsion.

KW64 on October 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Tyrs Fury on October 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I hope you signed-up at the legitimate LifeLock website.

Tsar of Earth on October 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on October 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM

AVG is pretty decent…I had it on my first laptop. When Microsoft came out with Windows 7 (or maybe it was Vista?) they included some parts of AVG within it. Seems every new comp I’ve gotten, it always comes with Norton anti-virus…It’s usually the first thing I delete.

JetBoy on October 3, 2013 at 2:56 PM

you won’t need to hack into the system, just give an obamacare ‘navigator’ a few hundred bucks for the file on whomever you want. we’ve lost all privacy and the 4th amendment within one decade due to 9/11. we will learn the hard way that you cannot trade freedom for security…

burserker on October 3, 2013 at 2:59 PM

NotCoach on October 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM

My prediction: 0bama will not back down, he’ll just blame the “glitches” with 0bamacare on the government shutdown.

He will double down on stupid as he always does.

UltimateBob on October 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Wanted for murder in Belize. What ever came of that?

Murphy9 on October 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM

All the files pertaining to that situation were identified as a virus and quarantined for deletion.

Myron Falwell on October 3, 2013 at 3:15 PM

His product is crap just like Zerocare.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM

There is NO security measure better than disabling cookies in ALL internet browsers, EXCEPT for the websites that you add to theexceptionslist.
Additionally, I have “DOM” cookie storage disabled in IE8 and Firefox (couldn’t find that option in Dragon).

I’m running Xp Pro, and currently use IE8, Firefox 24, and Comodo Dragon (a derivative of Google Chrome).

Cookies are disabled in all of them, BUT … my bank, yahoo mail, hotair, theblaze, facebook, and a couple of others are added to the “exceptions” list. This is necessary for ‘logging in’.

I also use both MAXA Cookie Manager, and Flash Cookie Cleaner.

Also COMODO Firewall, Avira anti-virus, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

listens2glenn on October 3, 2013 at 3:15 PM

This topic isn’t going away. And it will get more and more ugly as it is slowly revealed.

Rush mentioned much of what McAfee touched on this afternoon.

Jack Deth on October 3, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Rush mentioned much of what McAfee touched on this afternoon.

Jack Deth on October 3, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I’m absolutely certain that ‘government mandated and administered nationalized medical services’ (“Obamacare” to the rest of you) will be made null, and void. I’m just not sure it will be without serious ‘civil-strife’ and bloodshed.

listens2glenn on October 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Anybody who has ever worked on an IT project of any significant size knows that you BETA TEST extensively…and then PHASE IT IN in order to limit the damage from the errors you didn’t catch.

Only a fool would CUT A NEW PRODUCT IN ALL AT ONCE: a proven strategy for GUARANTEEING failure!!!

Can’t wait until these idiots start using computer data to decide who lives and who dies (yes, the Death Panels are still in Obamacare)!!

landlines on October 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I like how people in this thread are complaining about McAfee antivirus when John McAfee has had nothing to do with the company since 1996.

Lay-Z on October 3, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I was watching Cavuto show at 7:00 PM last night when he was on. He made some very good points.

Dasher on October 3, 2013 at 3:44 PM

He will double down on stupid as he always does.
UltimateBob on October 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM

And the masses will buy it.

Cleombrotus on October 3, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Years ago, when we were starting to move to EHRs and EMRs and everything online to be accessible anywhere, one of my docs said that he figured once an “important” politician’s prostate exam was hacked and put on the web, things would slow down.

Unfortunately, not. But with the joys of the ØCare computer systems linking so many federal systems with such crappy security, what are the odds that someone could hack Zero’s medical records at Bethesda? Or does he not go there for his annual, unlike every other president before him?

His product is crap just like Zerocare.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM

whatcat on October 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM

That’s why I usually run at least two programs on my computer; hopefully what one misses the other will detect. So far (fingers crossed, knock on wood, light candles, ritual of choice to prevent bad outcomes) haven’t had anything serious happen.

LibraryGryffon on October 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM

LibraryGryffon on October 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I imagine you know already to only have one running in real time, otherwise they can interfere with each other and slow down your machine. I have about 5 anti-malware progs that I use for regular full PC and individual file scans, but only one is on all the time.

It’s helpful to scan with diff progs since one will sometimes catch something that the others don’t.

whatcat on October 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Can anyone imagine what the mission to the moon would have been like if this POS and his crew had been in charge?

inspectorudy on October 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM

whatcat on October 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Oh yes. I have one that runs all the time, and another that does a regular scan, but is otherwise dormant.

I used to run MalwareBytes, but on changing computers a few years back, I couldn’t find it except for some site with a strange name I didn’t really trust so I had given up on it. Glad to see it’s back where I feel a little safer downloading it.

LibraryGryffon on October 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM

And these problems won’t go away. Ever.

Chris of Rights on October 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Well said. The security issue alone should have killed this.
Willful and malicious negligence? Bring on the lawsuits.

diogenes on October 3, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Oh come on – “we can install the security stuff in phase II.”

steveracer on October 3, 2013 at 5:20 PM

McAfee has his personal demons and is quite the shady character. But it doesn’t mean he is wrong about this.

How many dummy sites will go up in the next 30 days claiming to be an exchange for ObamaCare? A lot. Unless Google decides to manually index “obamacare”-type search results and purge the fakes, these will easily be found and used by the sheep. Hell, I bet I could build one tonight and work the SEO and start getting applications by the weekend. All that personal info…..

Hey, Libs, see how DUMB your team is??

goflyers on October 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM

LibraryGryffon on October 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM

MalwareBytes is a good tool. If you’re not certain about downloading programs from misc sites try “FileHippo”. Always helpful to read comments and reviews there before downloading and installing any prog.

whatcat on October 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Alabama Infidel on October 3, 2013 at 1:47 PM

It’s in the Army Gold Master. Basically a standard windows/office and select apps for imaging all computers that connect to the NIPR Network.

AH_C on October 3, 2013 at 5:51 PM

He listed some of obamacare’s features. Does he see any bugs in it?

GaltBlvnAtty on October 3, 2013 at 6:05 PM

A TIME FOR CHOOSING

Debacle.
No other word.

Chuck Schick on October 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Quagmire.

de rigueur on October 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Not a competition, but we simply must decide:

OBAMACARE: DEBACLE or QUAGMIRE?

de rigueur on October 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM

de rigueur on October 3, 2013 at 7:10 PM

uhh… reformat…

A TIME FOR CHOOSING

Debacle.
No other word.

Chuck Schick on October 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Quagmire.

de rigueur on October 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Not a competition, but we simply must decide:

OBAMACARE: DEBACLE or QUAGMIRE?

de rigueur on October 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM

What the government knows, everyone knows.

AesopFan on October 4, 2013 at 12:23 AM