Debbie Wasserman-Schultz: Um, no, I won’t be forfeiting my congressional pay during the shutdown

posted at 6:01 pm on October 3, 2013 by Allahpundit

More than 100 members of Congress, nearly half of them Democrats, have agreed to refuse their pay to share the shutdown hardship with furloughed federal workers. Wasserman-Schultz is, of course, no ordinary member — she’s the chair of the DNC. Naturally, the DNC is broke; as it turns out, so is Debbie herself. But here’s the thing: Even if she’s the rare congresscritter who’s living paycheck to paycheck, shouldn’t a professional politician tasked with a national leadership role by her party be able to dodge a question like this more artfully? Good lord. Even the lefties at TPM can’t resist highlighting it.

The Florida congressman was somewhat evasive when MSNBC’s Chuck Todd first asked about her salary.

“Because I support everybody who works for the federal government getting a salary, I continue to support reopening the government, making sure that everybody who is doing a job in the federal government can earn their salary and so that’s my position,” Wasserman Schultz said.

When Todd asked a follow-up, Wasserman Schultz gave a definitive answer.

“Yes, I’m gonna continue to take my salary,” she said.

Suggested answer: “I’d like to but, like many federal workers, I have kids in school and tuition payments coming up. Unlike most of my colleagues, I’m not rich. Still, I’d support a bill suspending the pay of all members of Congress until the shutdown is over, since that would send an institutional statement of solidarity to people who have been furloughed.” See? Sympathetic and supportive of the basic goal, and unlikely to cost her anything since that hypothetical bill almost certainly won’t be offered. If that doesn’t move you, though, here’s Mike Lee on the same subject. I don’t think this answer does him any favors — it’s easily spun by enemies as “I need to get paid to keep this shutdown going,” which is not a message you want out there when most of the public is opposed to shutdown — but at least there’s a principle involved, not just “Yeah, I want my money.”

“I don’t,” Lee said when asked if he refuse a salary like some members of Congress during the shutdown. “I’m working, I’ll continue to be paid.”

“You don’t want the lawmakers influencing their decision by whether or not they are going to get their paycheck,” he added. “You want them to come to consensus, you want them to get the government funded, and you want that to be on the basis of the merits of the decisions, and not on the basis of something else.”

His office says he’ll make a donation to charity for each day that the shutdown lasts. Via the Corner, here’s Debbie.

Comments

Hey, it take a lot of money to look that good….

*gag*

BigWyo on October 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM

She needs it for make up. Bags.
Just let it go and let her have the money.

RovesChins on October 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM

The Frazzled One is always good for a laugh.

CW on October 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Gotta pay those credit card bills, you know.

BobMbx on October 3, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Of course not. She’s so deep in debt that she’s afraid they’ll repossess her hair.

Oldnuke on October 3, 2013 at 6:07 PM

No work & all Pay makes Debbie a Dull boy.

portlandon on October 3, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I wonder if her face hurts her, ‘cuz it’s effin killing me.

antipc on October 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Hey, it take a lot of money to look that good….

*gag*

BigWyo on October 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Then she doesn’t make nearly enough money. If money is the issue for her, I’d suggest she take up another profession more suitable to her talents.

hawkeye54 on October 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Debbie Schultz: Um, no, I won’t be forfeiting my congressional pay during the shutdown

Of course not. Once attached to the gub’mint teet, a parasite will never dislodge itself.

locomotivebreath1901 on October 3, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Us………..them.

PappyD61 on October 3, 2013 at 6:13 PM

In-Debt Debbie Downer? Give up her pay, heck no…she is doing it for the children of course, her children.

uhangtight on October 3, 2013 at 6:13 PM

“How can I give up my pay when I have hair activator to buy” – DWS

Tater Salad on October 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Should we suggest she call the Obamacare 1-800-F number?

PappyD61 on October 3, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Oldnuke on October 3, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Seriously, why should she, for refusing to live up the GOP dream of a small right wing minority forcing the majority to play surrender monkey?

Anonymous GOP Senator on Ted Cruz after caucus this morning… “He kept trying to change the subject because he never could answer the question,” the senators said. “It’s pretty evident it’s never been about a strategy – it’s been about him. That’s unfortunate. I think he’s done our country a major disservice. I think he’s done Republicans a major disservice.”

bayam on October 3, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Why can’t Harry Reid and Obama get a budget passed? ITS BEEN 5 YEARS.

Murphy9 on October 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Wait… why is DWS still being paid? She’s the very definition of non-essential government employee.

Gingotts on October 3, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Fifty large on a credit card, unless you’re buying a car you have to work to build that up.

Let’s have her involved in managing our healthcare system.

Bishop on October 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM

bayam on October 3, 2013 at 6:15 PM

GOP has proposed Congress not get paid during a shutdown – Dems insist on getting their (our) money.
GOP has proposed Congress NOT be exempt from 0care – Dems don’t want any part of 0care for themselves.
Obarky is the one who said “I will not negotiate.”
Please explain/justify.

dentarthurdent on October 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM

They can’t pass a budget because of the tea party.

mobydutch on October 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM

It’s all about the money. The other guys money. When you’re a Democrat!

patman77 on October 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Oldnuke on October 3, 2013 at 6:07 PM

bayam on October 3, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I lmao at your post, Oldnuke.
Now, douchebag. Who OWNS obamacare, the monstrosity of sh!t that is costing jobs, hours, and will land an IRS agent on your doorstep if you don’t obey????? And, the leaker, like yourself, we have ignorant hacks on our side that need to be tossed out on their ear. McCain was blathering about SYRIA today. SYRIA. I think he has finally lost his last two brain cells. I’m sad I won’t be able to buy a piñata.
You’re welcome, you phucking idiot.

RovesChins on October 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Duh. How else would Pub1c Hair-Schultz pay for her hair?

Yo, Debs, the 1970s called and wants its perm back!

Resist We Much on October 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM

bayam on October 3, 2013 at 6:15 PM

1) Is what the GOP is doing right now illegal?

2) Is Dog Eater granting waivers from a federal law illegal?

3) What happens if I can’t pay my Bronze Plan deductible if I suffer a major medical?

Take your time, lass, take your time.

Bishop on October 3, 2013 at 6:22 PM

bayam on October 3, 2013 at 6:15 PM

GOP House has passed multiple appropriations bills.
Dem Senate refuses to even vote on them.
So who is the roadblock here?

dentarthurdent on October 3, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Anonymous GOP Senator on Ted Cruz

bayam on October 3, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Ted Cruz, of course, is donating his salary to charity.

Resist We Much on October 3, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Whores need paychecks too…

patman77 on October 3, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Rush is right, they are unhinged….

crosshugger on October 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Think of the hair care mayonnaise costs alone!!

Also, has either of her parents been released from prison for defrauding the government? Think her father had served his 5-7 a year ago but not sure.

The democrat party is run by criminals for criminals.

jukin3 on October 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Whores need paychecks too…

patman77 on October 3, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I’ve heard they insist on being paid up front – so just like the Dems – pay me first, then find out what you get for the money….

dentarthurdent on October 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Harry Reid hates children. And puppies.

RovesChins on October 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM

More than 100 members of Congress have made public pronouncements about refusing their pay. I know of at least one Congressman(member of my church) who is doing so but not making a public show about doing it. It’s a minor point but the assumption that any Congresscritter who doesn’t use the opportunity to push a charity or cause is keeping the money is wrong.

Happy Nomad on October 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM

There isn’t one single leftist that logs in here that can approach any event in a remotely honest way. They are all garbage, they say they care and have the best approach, but all we see are lies and demagoguery.

Totally bankrupt imbeciles.

Murphy9 on October 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM

But, DWS, the CHILDREN!!

socalcon on October 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Whores need paychecks too…

patman77 on October 3, 2013 at 6:23 PM

She needs to stop PAYING the Johns. :)

RovesChins on October 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM

She simply can’t afford not to draw her paycheck. She and her parents are so far in debt they most likely will never get out of it in her lifetime.

I don’t begrudge her the money because that’s the way the law is written, I do have issues with her attitude and double talk about fighting for other federal workers while she heroically draws her paycheck in solidarity with the downtrodden, blah, blah….

Johnnyreb on October 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Yeh Bayam ignores the fact about NO PASSED Budget. So telling. Brayam eat my shit.

CW on October 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Debbie “Two Bagger” Wasserman later went on to say she was doing ti for the children, THE CHILDREEEEEEN!!!!

Except those that have cancer and REALLY depend on the feds.

jukin3 on October 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Harry Reid hates children. And puppies.

RovesChins on October 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Neither are able to vote outside of Chicago.

Happy Nomad on October 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Please more Debbie, Nancy, Harry and Barry. As much as possible on the tube.

oldroy on October 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Even if she’s the rare congresscritter who’s living paycheck to paycheck…

I’ll bet you there are quite a few that live paycheck to paycheck, all of them Democratics.

slickwillie2001 on October 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM

The outrage is not that Wasserman-Schultz continues to take her salary.

The outrage is that so high a percentage of our elected representatives are so wealthy from their political lives, and so out of touch with the plight of the average American taxpayer, that they can simply decide to forgo their salary and it not hurt them.

If a bunch of my co-workers got laid off, I would feel sympathy for them. But I couldn’t afford to stand in solidarity with them and give up my salary. I have a family to feed. But members of Congress have turned being a politician into such a lucrative business that their actual Congressional salary barely registers on their radars.

Pathetic.

Shump on October 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Harry Reid hates children. And puppies.

RovesChins on October 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Neither are able to vote outside of Chicago.

Happy Nomad on October 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM

But, they’re in good company!

Breaking News! First Photo Of Hugo Chavez’s Dead Body Released!

Resist We Much on October 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Except those that have cancer and REALLY depend on the feds.

And those that were not murdered…er aborted.

jukin3 on October 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Fixed

bgibbs1000 on October 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Except those that have cancer and REALLY depend on the feds.

jukin3 on October 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Two bagger? I’d have to have the technical specs for that to be believable. What material are the bags made of? The tensile strength of the thread used to sew the bags. And, of course, the size of the bag.

Happy Nomad on October 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM

gotta make that car payment on her Infiniti

burserker on October 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Breaking News! First Photo Of Hugo Chavez’s Dead Body Released!

Resist We Much on October 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Heh!

Happy Nomad on October 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Since it’s rollin’:

Whores get paid first. Pimps gots da wait.

Or do I have that backwards?

patman77 on October 3, 2013 at 6:34 PM

This woman is a total beach.
Hypocritical beach.
I hate her as much as I do Bam.
Couldn’t she just so swimming on some Florida shore and meet a friendly shark?
I’m not quite sure who would win the battle, but the shark might be able to overcome her incisors and canines.
Maybe.

avagreen on October 3, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Johnnyreb on October 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM

All that beauty doesn’t come cheap.

Happy Nomad on October 3, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Heh!

Happy Nomad on October 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM

:-)

Resist We Much on October 3, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I frankley don’t care what DWS does in the least… as for this..

Anonymous GOP Senator on Ted Cruz after caucus this morning..
bayam on October 3, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Seriously, STFU. This is about the balance of power, three branches of government. Even more so, the people speaking..

Fifteen congressmen out of the 425 in the house CAN’T force anything. I’m sure that people have called, written or what ever, to make it known that they want this DEFUNDED. It’s evident to me that the Representatives are hesitant to go against them.

-west

mr_west on October 3, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Shump on October 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Hold on now, homophobe, just because Paul Wellstone started his senate career with a personal net wealth of about $150k and died was killed by Cheney’s Invisible Fighter Blimp 12 years later leaving an estate worth almost $10 million is no reason to suspect that pols have an inside track to wealth.

Bishop on October 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM

‘Mayonnaise Head’ is personally $1.04 MILLION in debt – she’s living paycheck to paycheck – if she forfeited her pay, how would she buy MD 20/20 and ‘Froot Loops’?

Pork-Chop on October 3, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Seriously, why should she

You’re funny.

Del Dolemonte on October 3, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Isn’t it amazing to watch the Democrats go bezerk over the Republican pushback? They have not tolerated any back talk for such a long time that it is just more than they can take. As for you RINOS, we have sat here and watched you remain very cozy in your positions while Obama has violated the Constitution time and again. Then, we listened as you said time and again that elections have consequences. And one more thing, how did Obama have barracades and signs up and ready to go so fast. I guess he was prepared for this nonsense the same way he is prepared the EPA and the Homeland security with tanks, guns, and ammo. He might just be waiting to roll that stuff out, too.

mobydutch on October 3, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Landrieu said that “the Tea Party has to understand that they cannot hold government and our private partners–which are many from big companies like Boeing and Lockheed to small companies that are represented here–hostage over their inability to get a law that they don’t like amended.”

“It is my hope–my hope–that many brave men and women in the Republican party will stand up and close this Tea Party down,” Landrieu said.

Voted for:

Gun control

Obamacare, which provides for abortions

The Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Stimulus Act of 2009

DoddFrankenstein

Cash-for-Clunkers

Cash-for-Caulkers

5 debt ceiling increases under Obama

And, now, wants to destroy the Tea Party, which I understand is very popular in her state.

Let’s see how that works out for her next year in Louisiana where there is not a single Democrat that holds statewide office, there’s only ONE Democrat congressional district, and even BLACK Democrats are switching to the GOP.

Resist We Much on October 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM

DWS should send her salary to NIH to help the kids with cancer.

No, can’t have that!

22044 on October 3, 2013 at 7:00 PM

DWS should send her salary to NIH to help the kids with cancer.

No, can’t have that!

22044 on October 3, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Why would she do that? -Harry Reid.

RovesChins on October 3, 2013 at 7:02 PM

RWM, kinky-headed Debbs is from Fla.

avagreen on October 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM

No wonder, Mary Landrieu has stuck with the Democrats against the will of the people in Louisiana, she knows that she is toast. By the way, Ms Landrieu your buddy, Obama, tried very hard to rid the US of the tea party by using the IRS. Your comments about the Republicans taking down the tea party might work with the jackass, Peter King, but most of the other wannabe Democrats are starting to realize the tea party is NOT going away.

mobydutch on October 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM

What? And give up what it costs for her to maintain that tight, poodle perm?

RebeccaH on October 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Harry Reid hates children. And puppies.

RovesChins on October 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I thought Harry Reid loved children. In the Sand*sky way.

either orr on October 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I’ll take your word for it, since I refuse to listen to Debbie Downer on principle, even if its when she’s squirming.

MTF on October 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Harry Reid hates children. And OBAMA EATS puppies.

RovesChins on October 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM

There ya go.

Key West Reader on October 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM

MTF on October 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Uh. She’s not squirming.. Its her ..”hair”..

Key West Reader on October 3, 2013 at 7:15 PM

What? And give up what it costs for her to maintain that tight, poodle perm?

RebeccaH on October 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM

She’s thrifty… Fantastic SamPoodleDoo!

Key West Reader on October 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM

RWM, kinky-headed Debbs is from Fla.

avagreen on October 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM

No, she is another NY transplant. We are filled with them.
It is fabulous.

bazil9 on October 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM

RWM, kinky-headed Debbs is from Fla.

avagreen on October 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I know. Landrieu is from Louisiana. I was just posting what that other bytch said because I just read it.

Resist We Much on October 3, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Im glad to say my Congressman, Rodney Davis in IL13 is forfeiting his pay until this is settled.

And the rest should too.
As well as having to use Obamacare.

OpportunityCost on October 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM

And the rest should too.
As well as having to use Obamacare.

OpportunityCost on October 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM

So is my congress critter Bill Posey FL8.

bazil9 on October 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM

bazil9 on October 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Heh!

But..Poor, poor you. Could she somehow be sent back to NY on account of being defective merchandise?

avagreen on October 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Scum sucking piece of garbage. We had a meeting at our Veterans Administration place of business. We are told that some of us will be classified as Essential and must work with no pay. Others will be furloughed with possibly no chance at retro pay… possibly. Shultz has proven the soul of the Democrats. I have promised that I will get in the face of anyone who says it’s Bush’s fault or calls me a Tea Bagger. Enough is enough. I have met so many so called conservatives who have no courage to fight. You make me sick.

MNDavenotPC on October 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Heh!

avagreen on October 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Heh..we also have the best NY transplant of them all..Alan Grayson.
They should all be sent back to where they belong.
Part of why Fl is shades of purple. Go to S Fl..it’s little NY/Jersey.

bazil9 on October 3, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Not surprising – she runs her personal life like she wants to run the government, and has a negative $1.2 million net worth.

She’s willing to let so many good federal workers go without a paycheck so she, her party, and her President can score political points for the 2014 midterms, but far be it for her to share the pain. She’s part of the morally, ethically, and intellectually bankrupt DC elite – the rules don’t apply to her or the other members of her ‘club’.

Athos on October 3, 2013 at 7:34 PM

bayam on October 3, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Tell us again about a small minority of Pubs terrorizing the rest. Wasn’t there a vote yesterday in which every Pub, not just a small minority, voted against what you are saying they are for. You apparently have a neuro-synaptic disorder since you don’t even remember things from yesterday.

chemman on October 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM

‘Imagine if every taxpayer in the country could just perform an act of civil disobedience and stop paying their taxes and cut off people like me and Debbie Wasserman-Schultz…

{{a few seconds go by}}

OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG!

OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG!

OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG!

OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG!

OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG!

OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! OMFG!’

- President Barack ‘MrAssHO!’ Obama

Resist We Much on October 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Heck no, she isn’t going to forfeit her pay check. That woman is in some serious debt.

BetseyRoss on October 3, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Resist We Much on October 3, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Got it.

Somehow I didn’t read it correctly.
Landrieu and Kinkybutz…….what a pair of ……bytches, for sure.
Why are Democrat women such …..bad quality misfits, I keep asking.)>,<(

avagreen on October 3, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Resist We Much….. outstanding!

MNDavenotPC on October 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Hypocritcal hag.

EdmundBurke247 on October 3, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Anonymous GOP Senator on Ted Cruz

bayam on October 3, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Anonymous is as courageous as are you. YOU’ve never accomplished a thing in your lives, on your own, you bloodsuckers, you and anonymous. May Hades take both of you and put you in the same layer.

Schadenfreude on October 3, 2013 at 8:14 PM

hawkeye54 on October 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM

The hookers on Sistrunk Blvd. already told her to take a hike.

katy the mean old lady on October 3, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Buy a comb.

diogenes on October 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM

$50k plus in credit card debt will keep you in need of paychecks. No wonder she cannot manage our money as she clearly cannot manage her own.

The Opinionator on October 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM

My congressman is. What a skank she is.

vityas on October 3, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Time for little Debbie to hit the exit ramp in the mid-terms. Enough of her.

Amazingoly on October 3, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Debbie can’t afford to give up her paycheck, she’s in hock to the credit card companies up to her eyeballs.

GarandFan on October 3, 2013 at 9:55 PM

…you bray like her!

KOOLAID2 on October 3, 2013 at 11:42 PM

It should be every single one of them, on both sides of the aisle.

rukiddingme on October 4, 2013 at 12:31 AM

bayam on October 3, 2013 at 6:15 PM

That anonymous source has as much credibility as the one Ulsterman uses – none.

rukiddingme on October 4, 2013 at 12:34 AM

We really did not think “little Debbie” would refuse her pay. Time for her to finally leave her stage next year.

Amazingoly on October 4, 2013 at 9:16 AM

That’s the first bit of truth to come out of this horse face pie hole in a decade.

rjoco1 on October 4, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Paging Egg! Would Steve Eggleston please pick up the white courtesy phone???

Dem Rep. Gwen Moore: I’m Standing With Furloughed Government Workers By Collecting My $174K Salary During Shutdown…

Resist We Much on October 4, 2013 at 11:14 AM