Obama: I think it’s fair to say that “I have bent over backwards to work with the Republican party” throughout my presidency

posted at 6:41 pm on October 2, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Allahpundit already highlighted this interview in his earlier post about the president oh-so-gently signaling to markets that they can probably start moving into Panic-Mode Lite over the upcoming debt-ceiling fight — the better with which to bludgeon Republicans for their political stubbornness, you see — but I think this particular snippet needs its own post. Just go ahead and let the temerity wash over you, via RCP:

During the course of my presidency, I have bent over backwards to work with the Republican party and have purposely kept my rhetoric down. I think I’m pretty well known for being a calm guy. Sometimes people think I’m too calm. And am I exasperated? Absolutely I’m exasperated because this is entirely unnecessary.

Just think: All this time, we’ve been lamenting Obama’s audaciously apparent lack of leadership, his enormous penchants for victimhood and abdication, and his impressively high-handed partisanship in speech after speech after speech, he has actually been ‘purposely keeping his rhetoric down.’ Who knew?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Schadenfreude.

Bmore on October 2, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I have never laughed so hard in my life than when I read this headline……..(not sarc)

jtpcamp on October 2, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Mount Rushmore CLOSING is not a joke. The PUBLIC road that goes in front of it is now CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC….

UnderstandingisPower on October 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Breathtaking self-delusion. Must be a Democrat thing. The most despised politician in America – Crazy Aunt Nancy – doesn’t recognize her own insanity. And remember the charming degree to which Bill “the Clenis” Clinton believed his own ridiculous bullshlt?

Call it LibCrazy.

Jaibones on October 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Narcissistic personality disorder: A condition in which people have an excessive sense of self-importance, an extreme preoccupation with themselves, and lack of empathy for others.

DrDeano on October 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM

His nickname for Reggie is “The Republican Party”?

Chuck Schick on October 2, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Yep, Obama’s cooperation on the healthcare bill was epic. At least then the Democrats had both chambers to explain this mess. How do they get to decide to ignore the majority in the House?

Cindy Munford on October 2, 2013 at 11:27 PM

PinocchiObama

flataffect on October 2, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Bent over backwards?

Obama doesnt even set his foot in congress, or have his associates involved

When he does get ingaged it’s with Boehner, mccain and Graham type rinos who embarrass themselves and give away the farm

Where the hell are the members of Congress standing up against all the complete violations of the Constitution

Obama. , it’s all rhetoric and blame.
And the media plays patty cake

audiotom on October 2, 2013 at 11:37 PM

“During the course of my presidency, I have bent over backwards to work with the Republican party and have purposely kept my rhetoric down.”

I mean… Really?
Umm… This has to be a joke, right?
Sure, he LOVES his straw man arguments and just LOVES the sound of his own voice reading from the teleprompter, but … REALLY?
C’mon… even some die-hard lefties have to join us in a chuckle
with that load of crap. Anyone???

shorebird on October 2, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Kiss my Irish ass in Macy’s window on Thanksgiving morning

katy the mean old lady on October 2, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Maureen Scott has a excellent column on Obama’s early years.
He was not raised in America as an American but taught to hate the country and it’s people. A lesson he learned well and believes in to this day.
If someone can find it (I can’t) please link it. It’s worth the time to read.

countrybumpkin on October 2, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I think it’s fair to say that…

I love it when progressives use the word fair. Fair? In you and your koolaid drinkers narrow, intolerant, simple minds you’re fair I suppose!

I think it’s fair to say I’ll be really glad when this sorry clown is gone like a freight train, gone like yesterday… Worst president evah… If we get get Hillary by a elections fraud 51% the US as we know it will cease to exist. hmmm maybe that’s not such a bad idea…

old school on October 2, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Good. Then you have the flexibility to go f– yourself. Please do.

Ronnie on October 3, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Sort of sounds like every threat a dictator makes before rounding “those people” up.

rgranger on October 3, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I know for a while we were not allowed to say “retard?”

rgranger on October 3, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Maureen Scott has a excellent column on Obama’s early years.
If someone can find it (I can’t) please link it. It’s worth the time to read.

countrybumpkin on October 2, 2013 at 11:55 PM

This one?

The Architect of Destruction

Anti-Control on October 3, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Did he actually say that with a straight face?!

Sterling Holobyte on October 3, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Yep, you’ve bent over backwards alright but it was so you could shove it in deeper.

chemman on October 3, 2013 at 1:38 AM

During the course of my presidency, I have bent over backwards to work with (foreign countries and apologize profusely for America at every turn, thus the great respect Putin has for me) the Republican party and have purposely kept my rhetoric down (in the gutters where it really smells like BO’s butt after a poo-poo). I think I’m pretty well known for being a calm guy(cough snicker BS). Sometimes people think I’m too calm (but I can’t name any of them.)And am I exasperated(exasperating)? Absolutely I’m exasperated (exasperating)because this is entirely unnecessary (and all my fault because I am the worst president we have ever had even though I can’t remember how many that is). May I beg of you a cigarette?

Sherman1864 on October 3, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Tree has to be a medical term for this

RdLake on October 3, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Shorter Obama: I took some Republicans out golfing once or twice.

socalcon on October 3, 2013 at 5:29 AM

Libfreeordie,

After this statement yesterday…

…old white guys want to go a memorial? WHAT HAVE WE DONE???”

libfreeordie on October 2, 2013 at 9:03 AM

…I’m surprised you’re still here, rather than hanging your head in shame. You have over time, repeatedly demonstrated that you are little more than a small-minded bigot filled with irrational racial hatreds. Your rants have zero credibility. You have no credibility. Period.

zoyclem on October 3, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Obama only ‘works’ with others when they allow him to have his way.

zoyclem on October 3, 2013 at 6:20 AM

This is pathological. The man is sick.

petefrt on October 3, 2013 at 6:42 AM

As I watched this interview I kept waiting for a laugh track. That’s really all it needed to fix it.

Logic on October 3, 2013 at 6:51 AM

The only people this America-hating asswipe has bent over for is foreign leaders and Reggie Love.

M240H on October 3, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Impeach.
Convict.
Jail.

justltl on October 3, 2013 at 7:53 AM

The only ones getting BENT OVER are Americans by this Socialist ‘political proctologist’!

easyt65 on October 3, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Hmm, Obama talks exactly like my teenage daughter. Ohh yes, she’s bending over backwards to respect our rules and live by our standards…and her screaming tantrums have been keeping the rhetoric down. /somuchsarc/

Nutstuyu on October 3, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Impeach.
Convict.
Jail.

justltl on October 3, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Worth repeating. Or tweet it:

@BarackObama #ImpeachConvictJail

Nutstuyu on October 3, 2013 at 8:11 AM

If he’d left off the, “I think it’s fair to say” I believe it would have been worse. Without that, “Mr. 180 degrees from what I say is the truth” would have very likely been telling us his intentions were to ethnically cleanse the rep party instead of just breaking it into the servant class party.

onomo on October 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I don’t find this funny. This makes me physically ill. Worked with Republicans? The ones he’s called terrorists? The ones, when they wanted to voice their opinions, were told I won? He is just sickening.

kenro85 on October 3, 2013 at 8:18 AM

“Nobody understands me.”

The reason being is that we were fooled into thinking you had, at least, a modicum of sophistication. Now we see you are just a simpleton on a single angry mission: Whitey Payback. Everything you do can be walked back to that root motivation – beginning with Churchill’s bust.

P.S. Bring it.

Tsar of Earth on October 3, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Obama is just trolling America now.

gwelf on October 3, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Obama is just trolling America now.

gwelf on October 3, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Brilliant Post.

ToddPA on October 3, 2013 at 8:31 AM

obama is paying SEIU who is paying non-union hamburger flippers to protest the men and women who earned obama’s, SEIU’s. and hamburger flippers’ right to protest: http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/10/democrats-pay-union-members-to-protest-world-war-ii-vets.php

davidk on October 3, 2013 at 8:55 AM

We need to throw the Democrat tyrant out office while we still have a country.

claudius on October 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM

The fight over the CR was just a warm up for the big battle ahead, the debt ceiling. Always follow the money with these guys and this is really big money. The red line drawer has nothing to lose either way it ends up. If he gets more money to spend, he’s happy. If we end up defaulting which doesn’t really need to happen because the govt never runs out of money, he’s happy. Look for a lot of scare mongering over the next few weeks over this and very uncertain markets. If Reid isn’t moved by kids dying of cancer or vets locked out of an open air memorial, nothing will make them give an inch over the next fight.

Kissmygrits on October 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Can’t you just imagine him in the dean’s office trying to get away with this sh*t. It’s probably worked all of his life.

Kissmygrits on October 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM

ALTERNATE HEADLINE:

Reality-impaired Obama confesses his mental illness.

landlines on October 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Every time he opens his mouth to speak ( not for sex ) he LIES! The only thing he ever said that was the truth was when he stated: something to the effect that the most beautiful thing he ever heard was the call to prayer for the Koran.

harvey1 on October 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Obama’s way to “work with the Republican party”

Call for a meeting, then poison the well, and blame them for not drinking.

marybel on October 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Democracy is a collaborative effort and when one individual in the Executive branch refuses to negotiate then you no longer have a democracy. Furthermore, simply because the ACA is law does not make it untouchable. Laws can be repealed and changed by legislative action. The congress has every right and responsibility to question this law. The left’s arguments are inappropriate, blatantly stupid and their so called leader is a panic monger.

rplat on October 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Obama must believe that he would have gone a WHOLE LOT FARTHER than he has been able to go so far. Hence the “I bent over backwards for the Republicans…” however, from the look of things it would seem better to phrase it as, “I have bent the Republicans over backwards since I’ve been in office” as more accurate.

Russ808 on October 3, 2013 at 5:28 PM

If, by “Fair to say”, you mean, “totally shameless, bald-faced lie”….
Then yes, I would agree that’s fair to say.

a5minmajor on October 3, 2013 at 6:10 PM

What a laugh! He has “bent over backwards” for the GOP? The only bending over he has done has been for Reggie Love and Kal Penn.

Colony14 on October 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM