Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on October 1, 2013 by Allahpundit

President Barack Obama placed blame for a government shutdown squarely with the GOP on Tuesday, labeling the cessation in government business a “Republican shutdown” that threatens to damage the economy.

“This Republican shutdown did not have to happen. But I want every American to understand why it did happen,” Obama said during remarks in the Rose Garden. “They’ve shut down the government over an ideological crusade to deny affordable health insurance to millions of Americans.”

***

President Obama would veto any piecemeal bill funding only parts of the federal government and not resolving the whole government shutdown, the White House said Tuesday.

The president and the Senate have been clear that they won’t accept this kind of game-playing, and if these bills were to come to the president’s desk he would veto them, White House spokeswoman Amy Brundage said in a statement, responding to the plans under consideration by House Republicans.

“These piecemeal efforts are not serious, and they are no way to run a government,” she said. “If House Republicans are legitimately concerned about the impacts of a shutdown — which extend across government from our small businesses to women, children and seniors — they should do their job and pass a clean CR to reopen the government.”

***

The president isn’t telling the whole story when it comes to the government shutdown. The fact is that Washington Democrats have slammed the door on reopening the government by refusing to engage in bipartisan talks. And, as stories across the country highlight the devastating impact of Obamacare on families and small businesses, they continue to reject our calls for fairness for all Americans.

This is part of a larger pattern: the president’s scorched-Earth policy of refusing to negotiate in bipartisan way on his health care law, current government funding, or the debt limit.

As of this morning, Senate Democrats, acting in concert with President Obama, have rejected four different proposals from the House of Representatives to keep the government running and fund basic services.

***

Their kamikaze campaign to defund President Obama’s signature legislative achievement, the Affordable Care Act, ridiculously rests on the idea that they are reflecting “the will of the American people.” It’s true that Obamacare is not the most popular government program in history. But hardly anyone outside this pestiferous little posse supports defunding the law, especially at the cost of a government shutdown…

On what planet is 19 percent of the population the expression of the will of the American people? The GOP has routinely conflated disapproval of or confusion about Obamacare with a desire to defund the law. Now they seem to believe that the American people want to defund the health-care law so much that they are willing to drive the American economy off a cliff. It’s beyond delusional. This is government of, for, and by the fringe.

Could people in Congress possibly behave another way when they disagree with the president on an important policy matter? Yes, it turns out they could. In April 2007, when 76 percent of Americans said the Iraq War was going badly, a CBS/New York Times poll found that 36 percent of all adults wanted Democrats to withhold funding for the Iraq War if no timetable for withdrawal was set. Did the Democrats take the U.S. government to the brink of disaster to get this accomplished? No, they didn’t. They included a timetable in an Iraq War spending bill. President Bush vetoed it, and Democrats relented in the face of outrage from their liberal flank. It’s worth noting that the Iraq War was a demonstrable mistake involving life and death. Obamacare is essentially government-run health insurance that hasn’t even fully launched. The hysteria and hostage taking of Wacko Bird Inc. is not reasonably matched to the current situation.

***

When Obama spends a week making three partisan speeches attacking Republicans and then calls House Speaker John Boehner to tell him, “I will not negotiate,” it is time to stand firm.

It is a sad commentary on Obama’s attitude toward the elected majority of the House of Representatives that he could have a more pleasant conversation with the head of the Iranian dictatorship than with the elected leader of the U.S. House.

The left has sold itself on a false history of the 2012 election. According to the left, Obama won the election and therefore we should do whatever he wants.

This ignores that there was also an election for the “People’s House” in 435 congressional districts, and the Republicans won. It also ignores the 63 million Americans who voted against his re-election and his agenda. Winning 52% does not mean he gets 100% of what he wants.

***

Tea-party populism, however, moved quickly beyond this point. We are no longer seeing a revolt against the Republican leadership, or even against the Republican “establishment”; this revolt is against anyone who accepts the constraints of political reality. Conservatives are excommunicated not for holding the wrong convictions but for rational calculations in service of those convictions…

And these ideas do have some resonance among conservative activists who are convinced that Republicans lost recent presidential elections because their candidates lacked combativeness. At least, the argument goes, Ted Cruz has some backbone. It is the political expression of pent-up anger. “If we’re going to fight,” says Michele Bachmann, “we need to fight now.” Few believe any longer that Republicans will be able to defund Obamacare in this session of Congress; it is the fight that counts. This is a word that crops up frequently in tea-party discourse. Not winning. Not strategy. Not consequences. The fight.

***

Now that the shutdown has happened, Obama has a fresh opportunity — indeed a fresh responsibility — to seize the mantle of leadership and get us out of this mess. Instead of just blaming the Republicans, he should call in the leaders of both parties and in Lyndon Johnson fashion, keep ‘em talking till they get a deal.

With the shutdown underway, the president has new leverage to say, “Look, we are here to negotiate a settlement so that we can reopen the government. We are not here to negotiate over a possible default; I have said all along that I won’t do that. But those of you who have been listening closely know that I have also been saying that I am open to conversations about settling our policy differences so that we can keep the government running.

“Tax reform, entitlement reform and even some tweaking of the Affordable Care Act are on the table now. I have only two conditions: I will not accept a gutting of Obamacare — we settled that at the ballot box in 2012 — and any settlement here must include a pledge not to let the country go into default. So, let’s get started.”

***

Obamacare also helped spark a Republican resurgence in the 2010 midterms and the Democrats lost the House. They didn’t lose in spite of your programs, Mr. President. They lost because of your first two years in office, when you signed on to Bush’s TARP plan, expanded unpopular military actions, pushed a stimulus that failed by your own predicted measures of success, and forced through a health-care plan that people still don’t like.

Then you compounded legislative issues by failing to kick the asses of sorry little functionaries like John Boehner and Harry Reid to pass budgets on a regular basis. At this point, you’re one for five, batting .200 on budgets. If you had forced the budget process, most Americans would never have learned of the debt limit, whose increase you used to rail against so eloquently. It’s hard, after all, for Congress not to pass increases to pay for spending it budgeted through the normal budget process.

Like a head-in-the-clouds grad-school layabout, you yourself were late on just about everything too, such as Obamacare deadlines and this year’s budget plan. Think about it: You became unpopular enough that Americans were willing to vote back into partial power the same team that gave us the goddamn Bush years.

You lost total control of the federal government and thus the ability to not have to offer anything. Get over it.

***

***

***

Via RCP.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Glorious Day it was.

Keep it slowed down, ’cause it ain’t shut, as Patterico said.

Plus, this.

Schadenfreude on October 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM

It was a glorious day!

Schadenfreude on October 2, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I am not that much of a schadenfreude-istic person, but it came naturally to me today – Kirsten Powers’ article in particular made me LOL.

It’s not really our problem they can’t recognize that 0dumba is the king queen of psychological dysfunction, is it? :)

The Dark – “Shattered Glass”

Anti-Control on October 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Sophie is also nuts, BTW. Teetering on the brink, all day, every day, my beloved warrior princess.

. . . you know, all the best people really are.

Axe on October 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Stated by Allen West. We can’t all be on the top of our game all the time.

Lourdes on October 2, 2013 at 1:35 AM

That goes “a little” beyond that. It’s like being inside out and upside down. And this is on top of his facebook rant trying to lynch George Zimmerman and saintify Trayvon Martin.

VorDaj on October 2, 2013 at 1:41 AM

The Dark – “Shattered Glass”

Anti-Control on October 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM

KP is an eternal scumhag.

obama is clinically NPD’d.

Schadenfreude on October 2, 2013 at 1:43 AM

. . . you know, all the best people really are.

Axe on October 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM

One has to be…to survive so much true insanity and especially idiocy.

Schadenfreude on October 2, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Lonely Street

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Blue Light

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Feelin’ Good

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Obama spy panel is loaded with insiders, critics charge

Meanwhile, Pelosi wails ‘you hate government’ as if that was an irrational thing. It’s all about The Obama Enshrining.

Lourdes on October 2, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Obama spy panel is loaded with insiders, critics charge

Lourdes on October 2, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Link this time…

Lourdes on October 2, 2013 at 2:00 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NOVA!
Congratulations, and many returns of the day. :)

Goodnight, Nova. Sleep well. :)

thatsafactjack on October 2, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Stated by Allen West. We can’t all be on the top of our game all the time.

Lourdes on October 2, 2013 at 1:35 AM

VorDaj on October 2, 2013 at 1:41 AM

So, when was Allen West the nation’s President? When did he write, so called, Obamacare behind closed doors, huddled with Pelosi and her smarmy, disgusting corruption and corrupt Democrat peers?

I could go on but won’t (need some sleep) but Allan West isn’t our nation’s problem right now. He can vent, obviously he did/is, so can you. Give the rest of us more credit: most people can distinguish hyperbole from reality…

Lourdes on October 2, 2013 at 2:03 AM

KP is an eternal scumhag.

She’s not completely worthless, but she’s still too stupid…

obama is clinically NPD’d.

Schadenfreude on October 2, 2013 at 1:43 AM

What in the name of those Greek pillars at the 2008 Democratic Convention are you saying? :)

Pete Shelley – “Guess I Must Have Been In Love With Myself”

Anti-Control on October 2, 2013 at 2:04 AM

thatsafactjack on October 2, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Thanks Jackie

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Plus, this.

Schadenfreude on October 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM

And this.

Lourdes on October 2, 2013 at 2:06 AM

40,000 Headmen

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Nova, Happy Birthday, good one!!!

Thank you Jackie. I missed the comment.

Sleep well, both of you.

Nite all.

Plus, the ratbastards had an official plan. I hope they all die slow and painful deaths.

Schadenfreude on October 2, 2013 at 2:13 AM

A proper Happy Birthday, Nova :)

thatsafactjack on October 2, 2013 at 2:13 AM

No Time To Live

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM

thatsafactjack on October 2, 2013 at 2:13 AM

So sweet, dear Jackie. Thank you. Haven’t listened to that one in ages.

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 2:21 AM

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 2:21 AM

You’re most welcome, Nova. :) I wanted to be the first to sing Happy Birthday to you… but The Tune Weavers was the best I could arrange. :)

thatsafactjack on October 2, 2013 at 2:24 AM

This one is for you, Jackie-

No Headstone On My Grave

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 2:24 AM

obama is clinically NPD’d.

Schadenfreude on October 2, 2013 at 1:43 AM

…Wonder how long the Mayo Clinic…will remain what it is?

KOOLAID2 on October 2, 2013 at 2:25 AM

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 2:24 AM

That was excellent. Thank you. :)

You seem, if I may say so, a trifle blue, Nova. I hope all is well with you.

thatsafactjack on October 2, 2013 at 2:30 AM

I Can Stand A Little Rain

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Virtually nothing is more important than your own health care. And it’s our own personal health care … … that’s going to be screwed over by Obananacare.

That’s why we bring the fight. We are to be screwed, and it’s going to cost us a fortune for that to be done to us. Do whatever we can now to defund the monster. Fight this shutdown fight for months. The House has the power of the purse, it’s their right to cut of ObamaCare funding, and that’s just what they’ve done!

anotherJoe on October 2, 2013 at 2:32 AM

thatsafactjack on October 2, 2013 at 2:30 AM

I’m always a little blue, babe. Just the consequences of a long, difficult, and oft misguided life. I’m far enough down the road that every mile marker is a reminder that the end is ever closer. Don’t fret, though. For me, I’m in a pretty good mood these days Truth is, I’ve been in a pretty dark place for a long while, and I’m actually coming out of it. I’m going to enjoy what’s left to me.

These Days

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 2:37 AM

These Days

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 2:37 AM

–but I actually like you, Nova. And I don’t like anybody.

Axe on October 2, 2013 at 2:42 AM

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Very glad to hear it’s getting better, Nova. I regret you’ve been having a rough time. Life certainly can scuff us up. I wish you all the best, my friend.

thatsafactjack on October 2, 2013 at 2:42 AM

My Days Are Numbered

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 2:43 AM

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 2:43 AM

I’ve got to say goodnight, but I’ve left you some Cipollina, and you’re in Axefellow’s company. When you sleep, sleep well, when you rise… live well. :)

thatsafactjack on October 2, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Axe on October 2, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Thank you, my friend. The affection is mutual. I have a goodly number of friends around this place. In a way, the QOTD is a refuge. I come here to be with my friends.

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 2:46 AM

thatsafactjack on October 2, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Just cued it up, hon. Thanks again, and good night.

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 2:47 AM

now this is getting interesting…the lefties at WaPo are getting nervous

debt ceiling coming up pretty fast. Lets see…last time S&P said the political infighting caused them to lower our rating. It is just as bad this time.

but…S&P got hurt, barry did a little number on them and they apologized (now how’s that for a super power?). Anyway, will the rating agencies just snooze this time?

r keller on October 2, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Axe on October 2, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Now that I think of it, for some reason I got the impression you might be a bit sweet on RWM. Don’t know where that idea came from.

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Go to drudge. Looks like ObamaCare is a torrential train wreck spiraling out of control into a swirling vortex of turbulent chaos.

SparkPlug on October 2, 2013 at 3:09 AM

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Meh. Don’t trust the scuttle around here. Or the meatloaf. :)

Oh, and Milkcowski? –really a woman.

. . . but Sophie doesn’t count, anyway. She’s inside. :) I meant outside.

. . . dunno when that happened.

Going for coffee. Highly motivated to kick ass before breaking down in exhaustion. You’ll know when this happens; I’ll be gone a few days.

Axe on October 2, 2013 at 3:12 AM

SparkPlug on October 2, 2013 at 3:09 AM

!
Belgian killed by euthanasia after a botched sex change operation

Axe on October 2, 2013 at 3:15 AM

SparkPlug on October 2, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Geez, Sparkie, I got dizzy just reading that.

Maybe the bourbon is a contributing factor. But I wasn’t dizzy before I read that.

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Axe on October 2, 2013 at 3:12 AM

OK, Axe. This one is for you. Are little white crosses still a thing?

Semi Truck

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Scarborough: ‘In the next 10 years, there’s not going to be any private health insurance’ [VIDEO]

“They’re afraid like I’m afraid of — that when Obamacare becomes law, it’s not like people are going magically get insurance,” Scarborough said. “What they’re afraid of is what we’ve heard from CEOs who run the biggest corporations. And that is, that after a couple of years, they’re going to drop all of their employees, they’re going to pay a couple thousand bucks in fines, and you’re going to have millions and millions and millions of people flooding into federal health care.”

anotherJoe on October 2, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Eli’s Coming

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 3:25 AM

He’s A Runner

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Ain’t No Way

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 3:35 AM

And When I Die

novaculus on October 2, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Belgian killed by euthanasia after a botched sex change operation
Axe on October 2, 2013 at 3:15 AM

I sure hope euthanasia isn’t contagious. Sounds like its worse than a botched sex change operation.

SparkPlug on October 2, 2013 at 4:28 AM

SparkPlug on October 2, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Saw that and the HA thread about private data being emailed around.The hackers must be circling like sharks.

dogsoldier on October 2, 2013 at 5:28 AM

morning all….

SSDD with dear leader huh…arrogant little so and so ain’t he…

give the online exchange a little time
-mika

the rest of the mj crew bashing the NYT for spinning the opening of obamacare and all of its ‘glitches’
wow…

cmsinaz on October 2, 2013 at 6:28 AM

SparkPlug on October 2, 2013 at 3:09 AM

you tea baggers don’t know what you are talking about…spin spin spin
-typical lib poster

idiots with their rose colored glasses on

cmsinaz on October 2, 2013 at 6:29 AM

Devoid of all leadership abilities, this joker skips town. Doesn’t it make you proud to be an American?

rplat on October 2, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Good Morning, Patriots! …And, Trolls. Though their efforts to block Veterans of our Greatest Generation from visiting THEIR Memorial, Obama and the Congressional Democrats have placed petulance above patriotism. – KJ.
My Take: “American Heroes Bust Blockade at WWII Memorial. Petulant President and Congressional Minions Retaliate.”

kingsjester on October 2, 2013 at 6:59 AM

kingsjester on October 2, 2013 at 6:59 AM

excellent take KJ….

cmsinaz on October 2, 2013 at 7:05 AM

kingsjester on October 2, 2013 at 6:59 AM

As you rightly point out, the barricading of the monuments on the National Mall are merely to annoy the smelly tourists and to provide visual fodder for the media of sad looking visitors being denied entry to the Smithsonian, national parks, etc.

Here in DC, there are major roads that happen to be maintained by the Park Service that are shut. And, of course, there is absolutely no need to barricade open-air monuments like the WWII Memorial. There really is no excuse for this kind of behavior. It is nothing more than to make life as unpleasant for as many people as possible by this administration, which is bad enough. But to use resources to deny entry to honor flight participants to their memorial is reprehensible.

Happy Nomad on October 2, 2013 at 7:12 AM

I prefer it’s a Tea Party shutdown. I am glad it’s shut down.

Wacko birds all the way!

Now if they could only shut Obama down and get him to shut his GD mouth from which spews refuse every single time he opens it….

Sherman1864 on October 2, 2013 at 7:13 AM

By the way, KJ:

Another honor flight is coming in on Friday. The Park Police are threatening arrests if those vets storm the barricades like yesterday. I’d like to see them try- the howls of protest nationally would be a PR nightmare for the rat-eared bastard.

Happy Nomad on October 2, 2013 at 7:17 AM

cmsinaz on October 2, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Thank you, ma’am!

Happy Nomad on October 2, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Yes, it is.

kingsjester on October 2, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Happy Nomad on October 2, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Yes, it would. but, He and his minions have no respect for our Brightest and Best. I wwould not be surprised if they tried. However, the Park Police have a lot of Veterans among them. like yesterday, they will not stop them.

kingsjester on October 2, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Cavuto was great with this indictment of Obama.

justltl on October 2, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Carl Bernstein is no Dustin Hoffman. What a loon, good grief!

Naturally Curly on October 2, 2013 at 7:32 AM

kingsjester on October 2, 2013 at 6:59 AM

…that hits home!

KOOLAID2 on October 2, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Indeed NC
He’s an idiot

cmsinaz on October 2, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Daily Caller reporting that Obama knew of the vets request to visit WWII monument, but denied that request.

esr1951 on October 2, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Excellent column today, KJ. Brought a tear to my eye.

Naturally Curly on October 2, 2013 at 8:05 AM

So 76% didn’t like the war, but defunding it got only 36%?

These are two different parts of a spectrum conflated together since of that 76% there were those who saw that a properly run war could work and an ‘exit strategy’ was a multi-year program that had to be funded so that the ME didn’t melt down. The loons on the Left wanted a ME in meltdown and as it is there is a slow meltdown in progress that the President is doing everything in his power to hasten. So the loons on the Left got their President and still have the same agenda: meltdown in the ME.

I’m all for ‘affordable health care’ but that, to me, doesn’t require anything more than government support for contract law and enforcing that upon insurance companies for those who want insurance and can afford it without government help or subsidizing it via the tax code or government agencies which are high overhead and wasteful in their spending. And I will propose every trick in the book, every method of making that sub-40% who want Obamacare, a mere minority, look like conniving fools and idiots out to support the fleecing of the American citizenry.

I didn’t like the way Iraq was going, but didn’t want it defunded as the results, then when it was proposed, would have been horrific and would have quickly wound up on our shores as the ME went into jihadist meltdown. That would not stay in the ME because of Aghanistan, would spread to Pakistan and in the other direction out into Northern Africa. The global economy would collapse if the Suez went down and Israel didn’t step in to keep it open, triggering the full meltdown of the ME that would soon involve India and even China. Right now we are still teetering on that precipice.

Just as we are with Obamacare internally. Defunding is one way to stifle it and Congress does that repeatedly with laws: it doesn’t fund them properly and some it doesn’t fund at all. We used to have an anti-piracy program in the 19th century and would have done well to have one in the late 20th for the USS Cole and our merchant mariners… but that is far too simple to deal with pirates by being prepared for them so we stopped doing that and the piracy we call ‘terrorism’ spread. Yet Congress didn’t spend any real money on THAT until after 9/11 and we STILL don’t have a full-spectrum anti-piracy education and response system. Our entire economy depends on that trade, and yet we do not take it seriously.

I would prefer the repeal of Obamacare as it is an economic catastrophe that imposes extreme restrictions on our liberty, and yet no one can point out who in Congress actually WROTE IT. That is because it wasn’t written in Congress, like the act that created the Federal Reserve. For the FR we know it was Morgan and other bankers that wrote the act to benefit the big banks and boy has it ever done that. For Obamacare it appears to be a full-on piece of Leftism supported by some of the many faces of George Soros as well as some on the extreme Left in Congress who simply re-labeled it and rubber stamped it, dusting off old proposals that couldn’t work then and can’t work now without destroying the fabric of society. Repeal is what is expected of Congress and the President so as to fulfill their duties to the people… not inflict their petty wishes that will destroy the people on the people.

I’m now seeing another alternative of keeping government shut because of peevish Leftism, and then rolling with that to a debt ceiling debate that ends up with the government only spending what it takes in due to peevish Leftism intransigence. Fine by me! Give them what they want in a form they will detest: pass a minimal budget to keep a few things open in the federal government that must be open via the Constitution and even when that is not voted on by the Senate, by passing the House government agencies have their orders as all funding STARTS in the House.

The President and the Senate are trying to strip the House of the power of the purse and I am against that completely.

And if there are negotiations, it is the President and Senate that must come to the House for FUNDING, not the other way around.

If the Leftists want it to burn, then fine. Let the non-essential stuff go up in flames. GAO can sell off the equipment and then the buildings, and generate a bit of revenue on the charred remains of what was once a huge government. Be warned, you will soon not have Obamacare, EPA, FDA, Education, Energy, Labor… a long list of departments and agencies that will go away.

So if a minority of the majority wants to defund and a minority of the minority wants to keep things shut down, then add those two up and you are at a near majority for shutting down all of government save a few essential services. Which is what is happening right now. If the Left wants to get their precious government back, they will have to let go… because if they don’t, then it is: Burn, Baby, Burn.

ajacksonian on October 2, 2013 at 8:06 AM

By the way, KJ:

Happy Nomad on October 2, 2013 at 7:17 AM

…they had to spend money to bring in the fences they had …for an open air memorial…now they are talking about bringing in mounted police to keep the ‘ingrates’ out!

KOOLAID2 on October 2, 2013 at 8:25 AM

KOOLAID2 on October 2, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Thank you!

Naturally Curly on October 2, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Thank you, ma’am. Mine, too.

kingsjester on October 2, 2013 at 8:41 AM

KOOLAID2 on October 2, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I heard that on Fox News XM, while driving in to work.

There will be a scene, if the try to stop them…and bad optics for Obama and his minions.

kingsjester on October 2, 2013 at 8:42 AM