Video: People who’ve never heard of Obamacare? They exist.

posted at 5:31 pm on September 28, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

I turned on CNN this morning while having breakfast, and after sitting through some of the usual impending doom, shutdown stories, was stopped in my tracks when they ran a video on Obamacare. But unlike the usual coverage, this was a reporter following a group of NGO workers who were going door to door, ostensibly seeking to educate people about the upcoming changes and health care exchanges. The story here, however, wasn’t the quality of the information they were putting out, but the number of people who either knew essentially nothing about the legislation or – in some cases – had never even heard of it. They cite one statistic which claims that 43% of Americans don’t know anything about the existence of the new exchanges. Check out a few of these responses and then we’ll get to the actual video.

Maher Hamoui: “I know it has something to do with caring about people. You know… Obamacare. So basically that’s all I know.”

That one was nothing compared to one of Mr. Hamoui’s neighbors.

Jose Menendez: I have a question. Who created this affordable health care plan that you’re speaking of?

Reporter: This was passed by Congress.

JM: Oh, Congress! And I’m just wondering, as a citizen of America, how come I did not hear of this? Is Obama forcing Americans to get this insurance? Because it sounds that way.

We’ve discussed this topic here before, since it pops up on virtually every contentious issue we face in America today. How much of a problem are the so called “Low Information Voters” in terms of determining the nation’s fate? Sometimes it’s simply a case of people who actually are aware of the subject, but have different opinions, so their opponents conclude they must simply be uninformed to reach such incorrect conclusions. Others may be partisans who are ideologically locked to a position, consequences be damned, but they are lumped into the same category. More often, people simply don’t pay attention to politics and government nearly as much as those who frequent political blogs and are glued to the cable news networks every day.

Even that last group could be accurately described as low information voters. But what about these folks? These are NO INFORMATION voters. How on Earth could anyone who doesn’t live off the grid in a cabin in the mountains have never even heard of Obamacare? It’s everywhere. Even if you don’t watch the news, there are commercials on every channel. It’s on the front page of every paper. Things show up in your mail box unbidden, blasting you with information from both sides. You’d almost have to be making a conscious effort not to expose yourself to anything outside your house to have never run across the word.

It truly boggles the mind. Anyway, here’s the full video for your consideration.

Comments

And they have no idea what the Constitution is..
Or what separation of power means.

Electrongod on September 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I know too many people like this. They can tell you all about Honey Boo Boo but nothing about something that directly impacts them.

It makes me so angry.

joekenha on September 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM

It wasn’t on their game console so how would they know about it???

JimK on September 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Low-information PEOPLE ….. whether they vote, or not.

I wonder if any of them are related to Snooki?

listens2glenn on September 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Second look at poll taxes and voter test requirements?

Seriously, if you don’t know about “Obamacare” you aren’t a LIV you are too uninformed to vote intelligently.

Happy Nomad on September 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM

The scary part is that ‘no information’ voters actually vote.

GarandFan on September 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM

..WTF?
…we’re lucky… we’re a country!

KOOLAID2 on September 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Don’t worry – The IRS will tell them about ObamaCare as they deduct the penalty for not having ObamaCare. If they are on welfare, it does not matter all that much anyway.

redguy on September 28, 2013 at 5:46 PM

It’s NJ so LIV moron is a given.

Nevertheless, this is appalling. It’s clearly a lower class neighborhood (In one shot they were spreading the good news of Obamacare by talking through the bars of a window).

The good news is that these people probably don’t vote in the first place.

Happy Nomad on September 28, 2013 at 5:46 PM

And they have no idea what the Constitution is..
Or what separation of power means.

Electrongod on September 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM

separation of power

Is that when Mileys butt starts twearking?

redguy on September 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

We NEED to fight for their hearts and….well their hearts.

WryTrvllr on September 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I’ll be in my bunk rereading Ace’s A Philsophical Inquiry Into the Nature of Stupidity post. ;(

jix on September 28, 2013 at 5:49 PM

redguy on September 28, 2013 at 5:46 PM

These are not people who pay taxes.

Happy Nomad on September 28, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I am beginning to think that maybe a few of non-Cruz Republicans may have a point about letting Americans get a full dose of the law prior to 2014. Once the ugly parts of the law come to light (courtesy of the IRS), the line to vote out anyone responsible for its passage will be staggering.

But tell me again about all of the previous laws that were bad ideas that are still on the books? *groan*

We. Are. So. Humped.

itzWicks on September 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM

OK. So a RNC college student (Hope??) JUST showed up at my door, but I promptly shut him down. Son, I donate and you are preaching to the choir. Don’t you have somewhere else to be?

Seriously, If software companies can throw away DVDs left and right, and the RNC can mail me thousands of pieces of junk mail, and congress still has the franking priviledge, why the hell are there ANY low/no info voters.

Help us Obi wan Koch brothers. You are our only hope.

WryTrvllr on September 28, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Not like info, these people are stupid. They need To be labeled as what they are.

We live in a time of 1+1=POTATO and you are a DENIER for knowing the answer is 2.

What are they putting in the water?

jukin3 on September 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM

“obamacare experts”

Hahahahaha!

Blake on September 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Don’t knock them. They are the ones most likely who won’t sign up.

Blake on September 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Oh, and Jazz…

Don’t worry. These are the people who’ll be flying those drones in a few years.

WryTrvllr on September 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I clicked over to the CNN article and found that comments are closed. Imagine that.

Stu Gotts on September 28, 2013 at 5:58 PM

We can only pray that these no-infoes stay away from the voting booth.

locomotivebreath1901 on September 28, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Do those folks know how to spell DEDUCTABLE?If not they and everyone else will soon find out.

docflash on September 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I think they spell it deductible

gerrym51 on September 28, 2013 at 6:06 PM

This was one of the saddest yet funniest things I’ve seen in awhile. Add another 30% that think it’s “free”, overlayed with about 40% that don’t understand the whole “premium/deductible/co-pays/services” relationship and you’ve got the makings of a historic revolt.

oh and yes, the lame ducks meltdown is gonna be epic!

can_con on September 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I think they spell it deductible

gerrym51 on September 28, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Damn, that WAS fast :-)

WryTrvllr on September 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I think we need a new version of “School House Rock.”

hopeful on September 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Doesn’t make me any difference if they know what Obamacare is or not. If they aren’t smart enough to educate themselves about what’s going on in the world, they get to pay the bill for their un-informed decisions. Maybe the shock of realizing they have to pay the Obamacare bill will inspire them to get over their heads out of their nether regions.

TulsAmerican on September 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM

They should have immediately asked him why he was a liberal. Yes trolls I jumped to the end. Okay, okay first ask him con, or lib, but you know that should have been the next question.
The answer would have been, well in this day and age presidential.

onomo on September 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM

What’s with CNN and their fetish with foreign accents?

Grace_is_sufficient on September 28, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I’m sort of surprised – I thought “takers” stayed up to date on what govt goodies were available

katiejane on September 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM

oh and yes, the lame ducks meltdown is gonna be epic!

can_con on September 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM

There are going to be an awful lot of people who think that Obamacare=healthcare. They are going to be seriously po’ed when their $40/month doesn’t cover their visits to the doc and Rx for the common cold. Deductible? What’s that? But Obama said… if only he knew…

obladioblada on September 28, 2013 at 6:19 PM

somehow this has to be Bush’s fault

can_con on September 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM

de rigueur on September 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM

O’bozo doesn’t want them to sign up. What he wants is a stepping stone to single payer.

WryTrvllr on September 28, 2013 at 6:25 PM

=====================================================

Le Crap,

a new Voter Classification Type:

Move over Low Information Voter…(LiV),to a,

No Information Voter,..(NiV)!!

canopfor on September 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM

The scary part is that ‘no information’ voters actually vote.

GarandFan on September 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Yes. I suspect previous generations were saved from the damage of the LIVs and NIVs because they weren’t smart enough to find the voting booths.

Now the parties have a huge GOTV machine that uses organizations like Google to find them, drive them to the polls, tell them who to vote for, and give them some cigarettes or whatever. Their attitude is probably, -”all right, I’ll vote if you just leave me alone and quit calling.”

Failing that, someone in the inner city will vote in their name at least once.

slickwillie2001 on September 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM

somehow this has to be Bush’s fault

can_con on September 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Or the Third Reich! Nazi allusion STAT!

Happy Nomad on September 28, 2013 at 6:32 PM

How can you reach people like this, seriously?

They just see an animated GIF of Barry dancing with Beyonce on their Facebook timeline, and then vote based on that.

mudskipper on September 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I’ll bet the LIVs and the NIVs haven’t heard about this either:

Ron Hira, a public policy professor at the Rochester Institute of Technology and a researcher who studies tech immigration issues, said that Cognizant “is able to piggyback off of the false claims of a dire shortage of U.S. IT workers,” adding that “Microsoft and others are providing cover to firms like Cognizant by making broad-based claims of IT shortages.”

Cognizant, which is based in Teaneck, N.J., but has operations worldwide and conducts a major share of its work overseas, has been one of the largest users of H-1B visas, getting more than 9,000 approvals last year, according to government records.

Bangalore, India-based Infosys received 5,600 approvals last year.

The hiring of temporary visa workers “isn’t due to a shortage of U.S. IT workers, but instead for the simple fact that those H-1B workers can be paid less than the market wage,” said Hira.

dogsoldier on September 28, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Some old, some new, and Judas Priest!

Don’t Shutdown The Government. Let’s Give ‘Em The Full Rostenkowski!

Resist We Much on September 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM

mudskipper on September 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Make it a level in Halo or a reward in Grand Theft Auto. 800 million in sales in one day. Over a billion total since then. As Jeff Kuhner said, we’ve become video game/reality tv nation.

Hosed.

dogsoldier on September 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM

We NEED to fight for their hearts and….well their hearts.

WryTrvllr on September 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM

You can stop calling. We have a winner.

Jazz Shaw on September 28, 2013 at 6:45 PM

So, YES!, let’s not shutdown the government. Let’s get this clusterfark started so that I might have the pleasure of seeing Maerose Prizzi being chased down the street in her heels like Dan Rostenkowski. On the bright side, we will learn if an overly-Botoxed face moves when a political princess is being chased down by a band of sans culottes.

Resist We Much on September 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Great read and funny too. Maerose Partanna, no?

dogsoldier on September 28, 2013 at 6:46 PM

It makes me so angry.

joekenha on September 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I’m frankly glad to be able to say I don’t know *anyone* who can tell you *anything* about ‘honey boo boo’ – or if they can, they keep it to themselves.

Midas on September 28, 2013 at 6:48 PM

And we wonder why the polling numbers remain?

A hard rain is gonna fall on these dummies.

98ZJUSMC on September 28, 2013 at 6:48 PM

You can stop calling. We have a winner.

Jazz Shaw on September 28, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Yeah, that’s spot on.

dogsoldier on September 28, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I think they spell it deductible

gerrym51 on September 28, 2013 at 6:06 PM

lol…

Yeah..deductibles,co-pays, co-insurance/costsharing, formulary,provider network, pre-authorizations and step therapy for RX…ect..
BLANK stare.

bazil9 on September 28, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Changed the song…

You’ve Got Another Thing Coming

If you think I’ll sit around as the world goes by
You’re thinkin’ like a fool cause it’s a case of do or die
Out there is a disaster waitin’ to be slayed
You think I’ll let it go you’re mad
You’ve got another thing comin’

That’s right here’s where the talkin’ ends
Well listen this night there’ll be some action spent
Drive hard I’m callin’ all the shots
I got an ace card comin’ down on the rocks

Resist We Much on September 28, 2013 at 6:51 PM

…those weren’t caves!

KOOLAID2 on September 28, 2013 at 6:52 PM

It makes me so angry.

joekenha on September 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Amen.
Meeeee toooooo…
Try working with them. I have to restrain myself at times.
They know when a Kardashian took a dump but have 0 knowledge about anything relevant/important to their lives.

bazil9 on September 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Second look at poll taxes and voter test requirements?

Happy Nomad on September 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM

no to a tax, but YES to a test. there should be a simple multiple-choice quiz based on simple facts like “who is the current VP?” and “what are the three branches of government?” i don’t want people who can’t even answer basic questions about government/current events to have the power to elect politicians. they are not responsible enough to hold that kind of power.

Sachiko on September 28, 2013 at 6:59 PM

dogsoldier on September 28, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Thank you very kindly, sir!

Resist We Much on September 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Our founding fathers got a lot right, just never anticipated so many morons surviving and multiplying like rabbits.

fogw on September 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Resist We Much on September 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Thank you! Looking at your site I realized I might be able to create a blog too. I just need more time to do it!

dogsoldier on September 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

fogw on September 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM

They saw it and endured it too. A little less than 30% of colonials favored the revolution. The remainder were devout Tories, LIVs and NIVs…

dogsoldier on September 28, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Resist We Much on September 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Well, yours and KingJester’s and Ed’s old place, which I searched out and read.

dogsoldier on September 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM

if its allowed to proceed these people (and there are legion…) will soon be carry pitchforks to dump it.
around 5-1-2014 I bet.

dmacleo on September 28, 2013 at 7:22 PM

The scary part is that ‘no information’ voters actually vote.

GarandFan on September 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM

GarandFan:Beat me to it,I Salute Ye:)

canopfor on September 28, 2013 at 7:25 PM

fogw on September 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Sure they did. Hence Franklin’s comment “…If you can keep it”.

Lanceman on September 28, 2013 at 8:37 PM

We need to go to the “Starship Troopers” model. Kill a bug, get a vote.

ex Dem from Miami on September 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Is that the same percentage Romney claimed didn’t pay taxes? Interesting how many things have either proven true or come to pass since the election…

Ukiah on September 28, 2013 at 9:09 PM

That’s why they voted for Obama. Because he cares about people. That Bush guy hated people, like those mean Republicans and that dangerous Romney guy.

flataffect on September 28, 2013 at 10:53 PM

It’s really a shame we can’t test it out on these people first.

kim roy on September 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Democrat base.

Murphy9 on September 28, 2013 at 11:26 PM

It’s really a shame we can’t test it out on these people first.

kim roy on September 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM

HEY …………… you’re on to something !

“I hereby move that Bill #(something), as proposed by the honorable ‘kim roy‘, [instituting the testing of “Obamacare” first and foremost, on people who claim to be for it, AND politicians who voted it into law], … be sent to this floor for an “up-or-down” vote.”
All those in favor say ‘aye’;

listens2glenn says: . . . . . A . Y . E !

listens2glenn on September 29, 2013 at 2:05 AM

These same people never heard about Rev. Wright and Obama’s visits to his racist church either.

xblade on September 29, 2013 at 2:44 AM

It’s clueless idiots like this who elected Obama.

cajunpatriot on September 29, 2013 at 7:17 AM

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

None is fatal.

ajacksonian on September 29, 2013 at 7:28 AM

These mindless dolts will be in for a rude awakening when the receive their first fine for non-payment. Isn’t America wonderful?

rplat on September 29, 2013 at 7:52 AM

This is all typical of the average Obama supporter.
Remember this little gem? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Skw-0jv9kts

kregg on September 29, 2013 at 7:59 AM

More evidence at how poorly the GOP has played getting rid of Obamacare. If you’ve lost on positive principle, convert people by negative reinforcement.

Demand President Obama faithfully execute the PPACA 100% as written: no waivers, no changes, no exceptions.

Suffering is a great motivator, and if it doesn’t play out that way, the curtain’s already been run down anyway…

allanbourdius on September 29, 2013 at 8:19 AM

The thought occurs that the easiest way to get rid of someone on your doorstep asking lots and lots of questions, who also wants to lecture you on what they’re selling, is to claim total ignorance and a disinclination to learn. If you say, “yes, I know about ObamaCare, and here’s what I think about it,” chances are 50/50 that who-ever is standing there bugging you will have the opposite belief and will spend the next half hour telling you why you’re wrong. If you say, “I don’t know, don’t want to know, and don’t care”, then you’re done. Go away and leave me alone.

However, I suppose it’s more feel-good for the know-a-lots to “never underestimate the intelligence of the american people”. Which, since they elected Jug-Ears twice, has more than a little merit.

NahnCee on September 29, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Well, a decent amount of so-called “informed” voters voted for McCain and Romney. So much for being “informed”.

nottakingsides on September 29, 2013 at 1:58 PM

nottakingsides on September 29, 2013 at 1:58 PM

To my recollection, Romney actually won the college educated vote. I guess that means a shitty economy and diminishing wages can break your lock on the educational apparatus. Sucka.

WryTrvllr on September 29, 2013 at 9:40 PM

nottakingsides on September 29, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Julio Oswega is on your side, you imbecilic reprobate.

Own that.