Video: Six arrests in wild-teen party that ransacked former NFL player’s home

posted at 2:01 pm on September 27, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Brian Holloway didn’t really want to press charges against the teens that ransacked his house while he was away on business, holding a wild party that cost tens of thousands of dollars in damages while organizing and bragging about the event on social media.  He wanted the kids and young adults involved to recognize their crimes, learn from them, and atone by helping him fix the damage.  Instead, after the former NFL player posted the pictures and messages from the party in an attempt to shame the perpetrators, their parents demonstrated why they turned out the way they did by threatening to sue Holloway.  That left Holloway with little choice but to pursue his own legal options.

So be it:

Six arrested, more than 300 to go. But it’s a start for Rensselaer County Sheriff’s Investigators who are trying to put a dent in the case of a huge, underage drinking party at a former NFL player’s home.

Cameras weren’t allowed in the courtroom. But Thursday night, the first six to turn themselves in faced a judge and reality.

Police say 19 year old Seth Hawk, 20 year old Juan Santana, 21 year old Cody Blain, 18 year olds Meghan Loiselle and Keely Sullivan and 17 year old Mackenzie Grogan were the main players in the giant underage drinking party at Brian Holloway’s Upstate New York home. …

The charges read Thursday night range from burglary, to grand larceny, to criminal trespass.

What happened at court is only the beginning. Sheriff’s investigators say they’ve identified 238 others who were at the party. They’re urging that they turn themselves in. And they’re asking for a little help from the parents.

It’s a long investigation. But part of it made simpler, because of the messages and the pictures the partiers put out on social media.

Name ‘em and shame ‘em, which seems to be the only method that has a chance of working.  So far, though, it has had only limited success, even among the parents of the suspects:

When NewsChannel 13′s Jessica Layton asked Investigator Holcomb if he believes any of the suspects are sorry or learned a lesson, he said: “Some are remorseful, some not.”

“And the parents?”

“Again, it’s a wide range,” Holcomb said.

These are felony charges in some cases, which could mean a huge dent in the futures of these ransackers and vandals.  Given the lack of remorse and atonement, that may have been inevitable for them.  The 238 that police have identified had better take some pro-active steps to deal with the situation, or they will find themselves with criminal records that will drag them down for decades.

They can’t blame Holloway for that. He gave them weeks to do the right thing, and all he got in response was greedy parents looking to loot his bank account like their kids looted his home.  Shame on all of them.  Holloway’s daughter offered a lengthy video response explaining how shocking the attack on their family home really was:

As far as the lawsuit goes, Holloway warns these parents that they don’t have any clue as to what will happen to their lives afterward:

TO THE PARENTS: If you would like to pursue a LAW SUIT; that’s entirely up to you. Here’s a heads you may want to consider; that will TRIGGER the biggest FIRESTORM of media that will invade every area of your life. Anything and everything, current and past will be brought to the surface to build the MEDIA FRENZIE to drive their ratings. I’m used to this, and have spent 30 years helping to prepare other NFL players about TRIGGER events that bring the FIRESTORM; without exception, no one was ever prepared. It effects your family, your relatives, your work and all your friendships; and that damage cannot be reversed for some reason. Again, I’ve lived with this a long time. It’s extremely difficult. Either way, I am prepared.

Are they really anxious to pursue a lawsuit with discovery in both directions, where their names and faces will be plastered all over local and national media for months? Again, it looks like the 300 apples didn’t fall far from the trees.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You clearly don’t have Bishop level sarc skills, so you’re coming off like a member of the verbalunatic, liveasaslaveand die, brayam crowd.

dentarthurdent on September 27, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Eh. “Bishop level sarc skills” is kind of a low bar.

cptacek on September 27, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Eh. “Bishop level sarc skills” is kind of a low bar.

cptacek on September 27, 2013 at 4:46 PM

He’s my hero – so I guess my bar must be reeeeeeally lowwwwww…..

dentarthurdent on September 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Only a fool would sue. The parents will be unable if the ‘child’ is over 18. If under the parents will be responsible for damages.

pat on September 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I miss the America of my youth, where you feared your parents more than the police. And, by fear, I mean the horrible disappointment and shame you would bring to them if you did something like this. Very few wanted to make their dads mad or their mothers cry…

Fallon on September 27, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I have six kids, all adults now except for one. Every last one of them was just as afraid of me, their mom, as they were their dad…actually even moreso. I knew what was going on in their lives, where they were, who their friends were, etc. My kids had a very healthy fear of me but we all loved each other and would do anything for the other. My kids knew we supported them; however, they also knew we didn’t take the “my little darlings would never do that” (insert any various non-serious to serious crime)stance. Until parents get it together, nothing in our sad society will change.

texasmagnolia on September 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM

As a group (many exceptions, of course) they’re lazy, arrogant, nasty, self-centered and disrespectful.

And Grandpa ZhivBlago said the same thing about you and your friends….doesn’t make it so.

JFKY on September 27, 2013 at 4:31 PM

LOL

But, I’m having difficulty remembering the time we broke into Johnny Unitas’s house…all just a big blur.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think thousands upon thousands of Americans have been arming themselves in fear that if/when the SHTF there’s going to be a great outpouring from the local assisted living facilities of the “Greatest Generation” looking to steal their stuff and rape their wives and daughters.

Also this stuff about them and their parents all being “Liberals” is hogwash. I’ve dealt with many conservative good ol’ boy redneck types who are at least just as bad.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Shifting and avoiding responsibility is a liberal trait. Those rednecks you speak of aren’t really conservatives, they only pretend to be; much like the woman Twerp spoke of who said she was a conservative, but if Killery was running would vote for her because “she’s done so much for the country”. That’s not a conservative nor are the rednecks you speak of.

kim roy on September 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Perhaps, but this same group that wears T-shirts emblazoned with “You Wear Your X And I’ll Wear Mine” or a quaint scene on the back with black folk picking cotton from back in the day, Rebel Flag belt buckles, and so on doesn’t exactly strike me as being “liberal”.

I didn’t mean to imply that all rednecks are drug addicted, drunk, living on food stamps, loud, obnoxious, barefoot and pregnant miscreants, but there’s a big segment that are…at least where I live.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

So what? Their future will likely be spent behind bars the way it is anyway. They should be locked up now so they can get used to it. Ideally, at a least few years of turning boulders into gravel would be imposed to help drive the message home.

whatcat on September 27, 2013 at 5:31 PM

whatcat on September 27, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Actually I think it’s probably the perfect resume enhancement to become a life-long Dem politician – likely a future Dem President in the mix there.

dentarthurdent on September 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM

dentarthurdent on September 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Yes, there is that to it all. There’s always an upside.

whatcat on September 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Yes, there is that to it all. There’s always an upside.

whatcat on September 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I can see the campaign ad already – “well ya I helped trash that guy’s house when I was just a young ruffian, but he was a rich guy who had more than his fair share, so he deserved it”.
Landslide election victory in a blue state….

dentarthurdent on September 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Landslide election victory in a blue state….
dentarthurdent on September 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM

The worst I did was TP a couple places and a few trees in my wayward youth, I’d make a lousy Dem candidate.

whatcat on September 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM

whatcat on September 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I once got stopped by a cop with 5 other kids in the car heading to the beach and got reprimanded (no ticket) for too many people in the car; and I stole a couple beers from my Dad’s garage beer fridge to take to the beach for my HS grad party. That’s it – the worst I did.
The Dems would never accept me.

dentarthurdent on September 27, 2013 at 6:01 PM

The Dems would never accept me.
dentarthurdent on September 27, 2013 at 6:01 PM

You darn conservatives, you.

Back if the day if had I broken into someone’s home and destroyed it, I’d be grateful to have the cops get their hands on me before my folks did!

whatcat on September 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM

It blows my mind that kids would have the nerve to actually break into a well known person’s home and trash it, and then blab about it all over the Internet, and think there would be no consequences.

rockmom on September 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Works for everyone in the gubmint.

Idiots. All the kids had to do was to say they were part of the Occupy movement.

faraway on September 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Bumper Sticker of the Thread.

Take a good long look at the future of this country. They and others like them will be in charge of your health care, social security, taxes, national security and carbon credits one day.

Kissmygrits on September 27, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Umm, actually, this bunch will probably all be in jail by then. Most will be too lazy to run for office; might get a job in the gubmint, though, since apparently anyone can pass their security tests if they just lie enough.

And they’re just the tip of the iceberg.

Think that these 300 hooligans was just an anomaly? I get sick and tired of adults saying, “Oh well, they’re just kids”, “Well, when I was their age I did stupid things, too” or “Don’t give up on our youth”, etc.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Failure of parental / social responsibility hits all sectors of the political spectrum. Party labels are just a veneer over their core values: me, myself, and I.

AesopFan on September 27, 2013 at 6:13 PM

texasmagnolia on September 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Don’t mess with Texas moms!

Two stories about real Texas moms.
#1 used to make all sorts of excuses about Little Darlin’ and his peccadilloes, paid off his debts, bought everything he needed even when he had a job, etc etc; he got busted for robbing a restaurant at gunpoint – his sister worked there and everyone knew what he looked like, so the ski mask did him no good. It took him a good long while to turn his life around, but he eventually did.

#2 got a call that her son (never really much of a trouble-maker) was in the local small-town jail for a (fairly harmless) prank and wanted her to bail him out. She told him she loved him, and would be down in the morning, have a good night. He never stepped out of line again.

AesopFan on September 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Firestorm… LOVE IT. LOVE THIS GUY>!

CW on September 27, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I’m hoping the remorseful ones get off lightly after making restitution, but I hope the unremorseful ones have the book thrown at them, so to speak.

That’s the Catholic in me speaking. You confess the sin, and do the penance, and things are ok. Keep it in, hide it, and the Big Guy will deal with you down the road.

unclesmrgol on September 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM

AesopFan on September 27, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Meh, I’d say if theor kids are breaking & entering people’s houses, destroying everything in sight and neither the parents or thug kids have a clue why that’s wrong, then they’re probably not conservatives.

whatcat on September 27, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Umm, actually, this bunch will probably all be in jail by then.
AesopFan on September 27, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Or be eligible for a Teddy Kennedy lookalike contest.

unclesmrgol on September 27, 2013 at 7:27 PM

1 year in juvy or jail for those that don’t turn themselves in
6 months for those that do
none for the ones that showed up for the clean up.
extra year for any that don’t show contrition.

and all should pay fines and restitution.

esnap on September 27, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Social media and modern technology makes it easier than ever to catch dumb criminals.

Dumb criminals are too dumb to figure that out.

MichaelGabriel on September 27, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Considering the democrat party is the party of slavery, that’s exactly what you should be struck with.

Dr. ZhivBlago

Sure you did. Otherwise you wouldn’t have used a bigoted(and frankly racist) slur like “redneck”.

xblade on September 27, 2013 at 8:57 PM

xblade on September 27, 2013 at 8:57 PM

They call themselves “rednecks”. Don’t try the reverse Sharpton/Jackson BS with me.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM

xblade on September 27, 2013 at 8:57 PM

So you’re down with banning the Rebel flag from public display since most of ‘em were “Democrats”? Interesting.

How about your realizing that the Republican and Democratic parties of 150 years ago aren’t the same ideologically as today? In fact, the only Commies I’ve read about back then were with the Union and the Lincoln Republicans.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Again, it looks like the 300 apples didn’t fall far from the trees.

It’s frigging massachusetts for petes sake, home of MASSHOLES!

peacenprosperity on September 27, 2013 at 9:42 PM

With parents like these, it’s easy to see how Barry was twice elected.

The Good Doctor on September 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM

The easy lesson: people suck.

The good lesson: Holloway’s daughter is an extraordinary young lady. I think of my little girl and see her, so eloquent and poised. And the I realized: people suck, but some people are like this young lady.

Then I realize: if people didn’t suck, I would NEVER realize how awesome this young lady is.

And then I remember God knows what he’s doing.

TL;DNR: it’s all good. Carry on.

Professor Blather on September 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Bad trees bring forth bad fruit.

David Blue on September 28, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Holloway was a sap thinking he could “reach” these amoral, conscience-free kids. Throw the book at them, and sue the parents of the ones that are minors, for damages.

Ward Cleaver on September 28, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I think that Holloway should be paying for health insurance for all of the kids, funding their college educations, and giving them money to buy food.

Isn’t that what the federal government does for those who break into our country illegally, get drunk, and trash our cities?

Wino on September 28, 2013 at 4:02 AM

So the lawyered up law breakers are going to plead not guilty. That is certain to make their lawyers quite a bit of coin.

In my home state of Michigan the owner of a property invaded in such a criminal fashion could legally have gone on a shooting spree. I’m certain the parents couldn’t care less about that either.

Only the most ignorant and irresponsible would try to sue Holloway at this point, but that is ok. In the long run all they will succeed in doing is destroying what little is left of their pitiful, meaningless lives.

Stupidity should be painful.

DannoJyd on September 28, 2013 at 5:08 AM

Perhaps, but this same group that wears T-shirts emblazoned with “You Wear Your X And I’ll Wear Mine” or a quaint scene on the back with black folk picking cotton from back in the day, Rebel Flag belt buckles, and so on doesn’t exactly strike me as being “liberal”…

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

You mean like this guy?

Oh, I’m probably too late to the thread.

Fenris on September 28, 2013 at 6:36 AM

You mean like this guy?

Oh, I’m probably too late to the thread.

Fenris on September 28, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Wonder how that guy would have felt about BHO? It’s a conundrum I tellya!

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 28, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Just a little FYI. In NY, anyone 16 or older is an adult under NY law, and cannot be prosecuted through Family court as a juvenile. All the kids identified so far are/will be charged as adults. They may be able to get youthful offender status as part of the disposition of the charges, but that depends on each individual’s particular set of circumstances. My guess is that the judge wouldn’t be too impressed by the kids/parents who think they’re “special”

Dan859 on September 28, 2013 at 10:14 AM

The ringleader (friend of Holloway’s son)was a teen that was taken in as a foster child by Holloway who tried to set him straight. Instead he does this.

raccoonradio on September 28, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Looking for Seth Hawk’s tweets? “@rcwarrior10′s Tweets are protected.
Only confirmed followers have access to @rcwarrior10′s Tweets and complete profile. You need to send a request before you can start following this account.”

raccoonradio on September 28, 2013 at 12:49 PM

But weren’t they all just following the Occupy example?

Cylor on September 29, 2013 at 2:24 AM

I fully support the homeowner on this one… 100 BAZILLION percent…

Khun Joe on September 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM

no wonder the country is in the shape it is in….these jackass parents vote…..bet we know who they voted for…..

crosshugger on September 29, 2013 at 9:20 PM

The parents should be publicly shamed.

John the Libertarian on September 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM

There is no such thing as shame in America anymore.

James on September 29, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I can’t believe the PARENTS actually tried / are trying to SUE THE HOME OWNER after their little freakin’ thugs / wild childs did approx $20,000 damage to home.

I hope he counter-sues…of course with the threat of putting their ‘babies’ in jail, I am pretty sure he can get them to drop the law suits.

easyt65 on September 30, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Holloway has a good and fair heart and a born leader and coach. Too bad no one is listening. Some people just have to learn the hard way.

lea on September 30, 2013 at 12:25 PM