Video: Ted Cruz does Darth Vader

posted at 12:01 pm on September 25, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

If you want to talk for twenty hours about a topic in order to get attention for an issue, you have to find entertaining ways of telling the story.  Pop-culture references are one of the most effective ways to make memorable points — as Dennis Miller’s career has proven for many years.  Cruz, in going after the Beltway establishment, likened it to the Empire from Star Wars and included Sen. Mike Lee in an impersonation of one of its most famous lines (via Twitchy):

Before that, Cruz read from a speech given by Ashton Kutcher at the Teen Choice Awards that was widely hailed for its endorsement of the work ethic over the entitlement mentality.  That’s a recent pop reference that many conservatives missed or ignored, but might have some resonance with the people Cruz hopes to reach with this exhausting effort.

Whether or not the Empire strikes back, as Cruz predicts, he later scoffed at the damage from criticism. “The real damage” of ObamaCare, Cruz said, “will be felt by the working men and women of this country.” In other words …

And heck, Senator Cruz may have already made that reference, too.

Comments

Cruz is going on Limbaugh today. Stay tuned..

katy on September 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

The Mugabe of the Senate speaks.

He is a bad, bad, bad thug of the Land.

NV, you s/b ashamed of yourselves for keeping this dead creep in office.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I was up until after midnight last night listening to Cruz and Lee. Turned it on this morning, first thing. Funny. Witty. On-point. Remarkable!

And boy, in the end, it looked like it was Harry Reid who had been standing up there for 20 hours and Cruz who had just woken up, taken a shower, pulled the suit out of the closet!

My sincere THANKS, Sen. Cruz! I am so proud today that I voted in the primaries for the first time to get you in there! It was well worth that vote!

Oh, and in case anyone wonders, I, too, am a PROUD wack-o bird!

UnderstandingisPower on September 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM

CRUZ TO CONTINUE ON LIMBAUGH… DEVELOPING…

Drudge

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Ted was great at preaching to his choir. The only ppl who seem impressed are conservative bloggers. If they were all that mattered, the ham sandwich would have one the last elections.

Other than that…that was a true victory!! He is principled and he is a true conservative!! No doubt about it.

Since I’m in the middle tho, can I ask….now what? When is Obamacare getting repealed or defunded?

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM

You bet it’s “good for the TEA party”.

Harry Mugabe, you ain’t seen nothin’, yet, you fool.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM

won*

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Mark Belling made a good point on the Rush show yesturday. This backs the dems into a corner. It makes them defend and own Obamacare.

newportmike on September 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Middle crap, it was just pointed out that all the swine in the Congress fly first class and all the taxpayers will fly coach.

Be proud.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM

This should be the slogan for Obamacare:

BuckeyeSam on September 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Behold this fully functioning Death Panel!!

-Darth Reid

Ted Torgerson on September 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM

All must fly coach, with NO exemptions.

If it’s that good, then obama and his clan, all in the congress and their clans, must sign up and live under, first, by example.

NO exceptions. Anything short of this will be unconstitutional.

There can NOT be two kinds of treatment for the taxpayers and their employees.

YOU work for the people, you hyenas.

Anyone who doesn’t understand this is a limited brain.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM

It has been my keen observation that most of the creatures I have seen in the middle of any given space are most accurately described as “roadkill.”

BKennedy on September 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Hear, hear Ted.

I won’t sign your petition b/c it won’t work (and I don’t want to be on another mailing list) but keep up the fight and I will support your efforts going forward.

PattyJ on September 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Heh

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Watch as the left go into full attack mode. They are so afraid of this guy.

newportmike on September 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM

BTW: Was Reid trying to sabotage Cruz’s last 24 minutes by claiming Cruz really had until 1:00? I don’t know parliamentary procedure, but unless the inquiry would have stopped Cruz until it was answered, it would have been neat to have Cruz request of the parliamentarian how much time he had and then have the parliamentarian respond that the President of the Senate either had his head up his *ss or he was trying to be a d*ck to Cruz.

Beyond that, what’s the deal with Reid trying to get 15 minutes for McCain from noon to 12:15? McCain to the rescue to undermine conservatives…again.

BuckeyeSam on September 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM

dear leader must be happy the lsm is focusing on this instead of the un snub

cmsinaz on September 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM

God bless the good guys in the Senate and Thank You.

gophergirl on September 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM

26 is the new “baby in mommy’s apron”.

What a land the USA has become.

Kindergartens rejoice!

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM

BuckeyeSam on September 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM

argghh

cmsinaz on September 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Thank you, Senator Cruz and Texas.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle.more.clueless

Edited for clarity.

22044 on September 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Watch as the left go into full attack mode. They are so afraid of this guy.

newportmike on September 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Good! Let ‘em attack. That is the only way to force the media to acknowledge Cruz’s achievement today. Their only alternative is to ignore the lefties, too. They wouldn’t like that.

timmytee on September 25, 2013 at 12:21 PM

For the obtuse

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM

BuckeyeSam on September 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I don’t know exactly what Benedict McCain was prepared to say but when it is the enemy pushing for his time to say it, it is certain that it would be in support of the lazy stupid traitor in the White House.

Happy Nomad on September 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Cruz, in going after the Beltway establishment, likened it to the Empire from Star Wars and included Sen. Mike Lee in an impersonation of one of its most famous lines (via Twitchy):

Cruz should have compared Obama and Reid to the Chancellor (I forgot his name) in Star Wars. Cruz is our Yoda.

If Obamacare is implemented, our health care will a train wreck be.

Steve Z on September 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Rush: A lot of people have been looking for a leader, I wonder if they found one. I’d say yes.

Happy Nomad on September 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM

It won’t be… yet. Not until all those “in the middle” and on the left are primaried and replaced with principled Congressmen who listen to their constituents. Cruz called attention to the problem of Congressmen not listening to their constituents. When people finally feel the pain of OTrainwreckCare, conservatives have an opportunity to remind them who was fighting for them and who couldn’t even bother to show up. Cruz is taking the long view with taking a principled stand, and it will be noticed in the long run.

dominigan on September 25, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Redubbed to “It’s a Tax!”: video

Mervis Winter on September 25, 2013 at 12:28 PM

If Obamacare is implemented, our health care will a train wreck be.

Steve Z on September 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I’ve just taken to calling it “OTrainwreckCare” for the obvious reasons.

dominigan on September 25, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Hey is it just me or have the trolls been lingering today? Sort of like a TIE or Porax-38 fighter flitting around taking pot shots but inflicting no real damage.

The scared is great in the left this afternoon.

Happy Nomad on September 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Happy Nomad on September 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Yep.Each one has taken their turn.Thuja and Armin haven’t shown up because no one mentioned the “A” word.

kingsjester on September 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I’ve felt a great disturbance in the economy, as if a million wallets cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Bishop on September 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM

In the middle of what? destroying our country. You can be on the ass end.

Vince on September 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Actually Cruz was talking to all Americans and telling them what your boy failed to tell them when this scheme was created, perhaps the problem is that you’re too dense to understand it?

Bishop on September 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Rush going after Cornyn’s hypocrisy!

txhsmom on September 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM

McCain is an azzhole and he lies.

It was not passed “democratically”.

It was maneuvered down the throat of the taxpayers.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM

With friends like John McCain, who needs enemies?

hoakie on September 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Rush adding names!

txhsmom on September 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM

McCain is a disgrace.

His father/grandpa are disgusted from their graves.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM

No, McCain, Mugabe type elections should not be respected.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Han Cruz shot first!

And Vader Reid said “NOOOOOOOOO!”

Christien on September 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Can someone please charge John McCain with treason now?!

hoakie on September 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM

My advice to everybody that stands with Ted Cruz and Mike Lee, please check out Blaze TV if you haven’t already. Dish customers can find it on channel 212. It’s a good, clear picture but doesn’t appear in the guide as high def, so just punch in 212 or change your guide to show all channels and it will show up. If Blaze TV shows up in a little box in the center of your screen, hit the “format” button near the bottom of your remote to resize it to full screen.

I started watching Fox News Channel right from the start. I was a news addict then, too. I was one of the early adopters of FNC and although it took a few years, before long I watched it nearly exclusively. Now I watch Blaze TV almost exclusively and can’t believe people watch that beltway establishment crap on Fox News.

FloatingRock on September 25, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Jon McCain is a despicable person.

derft on September 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Watch as the left go into full attack mode. They are so afraid of this guy.

newportmike on September 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I’d bet on it……so I now have TWO individuals that
the media has/will do this to…..
..Hmmmmm, seems like I have my 2016 ticket…but I
ALREADY had it….

ToddPA on September 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM

the ham sandwich would have one the last elections.
Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM

English is not your native language, is it?

Senator Cruz, you rock.

dogsoldier on September 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Jon McCain is a despicable person.

derft on September 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM

He’s a freaking Al Qaeda supporting traitor! Literally! A total and complete scumbag! Benedict Arnold was a popular war hero before he became known as a traitor, too.

FloatingRock on September 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Chucky has got the be the most smarmy POS in the Senate. Talk about a condescending jerk.

hoakie on September 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Given that it is dictator week at the UN, the Star Wars comparisons are apt. Because nothing more evokes images of the Star Wars cantina scene than the UN opening sessions.

Happy Nomad on September 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Bishop on September 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I am so stealing that for my Facebook page.

Lanceman on September 25, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I am so stealing that for my Facebook page.

Lanceman on September 25, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Yeah I see FB memes with a certain space station appearing quickly. I may make one myself!

dogsoldier on September 25, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Obamacare=”Oh, yeah? Watch this!”

Christien on September 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM

like the snotty nosed liberals on abc news, ed morrisey rushes to demean Cruz.

Clearly, there are MANY from BOTH political parties that now HATE Ted Cruz.

Note: I managed to see ~ 30 secs of O’Reilley last night. There was Mondale lover Krauthammer making personal attacks, right along with O’Reilley, on Ted Cruz’s character.

That was likely the last time I will ever respect what happens on ‘the factor’.

I have no doubt that hotair will go right along with the hatefest and character assination as the good little RINO site it has become!

Freddy on September 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM

McCain is a sell out, nothing less and maybe a great deal more (traitor!)

To my other senator– Mr. Coryn, do these words fit you too?

jazzuscounty on September 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM