Reason: Your kids should be watching South Park

posted at 5:21 pm on September 25, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Actually, I forbade my son from watching South Park when it first came on the air because of the content.  I only became a fan of the show after his teenage rebellion phase ended, and I didn’t have to worry about encouraging disrespect and foul-mouthed bad attitudes.  Nick Gillespie at Reason argues as the show starts its 17th season tonight that I had it backwards all along, and that in this era of Big Nanny-State Government, we need to teach our kids to watch out for abuses of power and infringement of freedom:

1. Disrespect My Authoritah!

Virtually every episode points out the difference between legitimate authority and the abuse of power and scare-mongering. Whether it’s the show’s Jew-baiting jerk Eric Cartman going nuts as a traffic cop or former Vice President Al Gore trying to scare the boys into hysteria overManBearPig, South Park always emphasizes thinking for yourself rather than blindly following what leaders say.

2. Respect True Diversitah!

Today’s kids are constantly force-fed hosannas to tolerance and diversity that ring hollow and false. But even when it’s brutally satirizing something like Mormonism, South Park actually fosters a true live-and-let-live ethos that’s sadly lacking in most K-12 curricula.

3. It Emphasizes Personal Responsibility

Among South Park’s core values is taking responsibility for one’s actions. In the episode where Stan’s father develops a drinking problem and seeks supernatural intervention for a cure, it’s the child who lays out the case for self-control and accountability.

Well, most of the above is true, and I later became a big fan of the show, although I haven’t kept up with it lately.  However, some of the “thinking for yourself” messages come across more as “ridiculing anything that Stone and Parker don’t like,” which isn’t exactly the same thing.  I’m also a fan of Penn & Teller’s “Bullshit,” even when I sometimes vehemently disagree with their point of view, because they tend to offer a little more respect to competing points of view.

Of course, the material in both shows is raw, and I definitely wouldn’t have kids watching the Penn & Teller show, which is aimed at educating adults, not children.  I don’t find Nick entirely convincing on this point, but perhaps more so on an implied point — which is that most of the rest of the programming that kids and teens watch have very different messages aimed at them. My son used to watch The Simpsons, and I found it necessary to deconstruct the multitudes of straw men erected by that series until he grew out of his interest in it. I also am inclined to think that most kids would be more likely to emulate Cartman than to see him as a bête noire.

Nick makes his case in this video, but please Note: this clip is definitely Not Safe For Work, and has enough in here to offend most people, at least once or twice. If you are easily offended (and one episode in here offends me), just stick to Reason’s post on the subject:

And just how far are parents supposed to go to encourage open-mindedness?  I’m pretty sure it shouldn’t be this far.

Comments

“Blame Canada”, indeed, eh!

whatcat on September 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM

That can be taught to children without letting them watch a crass, crude show.

South Park is hit or miss with me. I watch it as an adult, and my 14 year old son can now watch it under supervision. My 6 year old daughter not so much.

melle1228 on September 25, 2013 at 5:27 PM

So comments are not allowed to use mature childish language, but bloggers can…?

Um, to avoid indoctrination by the liberal media, just don’t watch the liberal media.

itsnotaboutme on September 25, 2013 at 5:30 PM

These are the same writers for Book of Mormon…I hated that show! A horrible waste of our entertainment money. It was cheap, sleazy, and highly predictable. Neither The Big Scot nor I could see what people found remotely entertaining about it.

South Park, no thanks.

herm2416 on September 25, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Uh, no. I won’t let my kid watch it and he’s 25.

platypus on September 25, 2013 at 5:30 PM

It’s pretty sad that, aside from a couple aborted exceptions, South Park is pretty much the only major rebuke to the liberal domination of the media that fights back on their own terms.

HitNRun on September 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Uh, no. I won’t let my kid watch it and he’s 25.

platypus on September 25, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Thread Winner! Close it up!

22044 on September 25, 2013 at 5:33 PM

South Park, no thanks.

herm2416 on September 25, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I haven’t seen that one…but it had to better than Baseketball.

JetBoy on September 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the new season.

However, I’m going to be watching Restrepo on National Geographic. 9 pm Eastern.

Excellent look at how f*cked up Afghanistan is, and the impossibility of our military mission there.

rbj on September 25, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I think the point is that South Park is actually more libertarian than liberal.

blink on September 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM

The distinction is fuzzy, at best. Some of my friends are libertarian and they reach insufferable levels of egotism almost as fast as liberals.

platypus on September 25, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Can somebody tell me the cognitive dissonance in the title of “Reason”‘s video…

3 Reasons All Kids Should be FORCED to Watch South Park!

Hint – “Reason” itself highlighted it.

Steve Eggleston on September 25, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Independent thinking with some respect for others.

Paul-Cincy on September 25, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I’m still a South Park fan…although some seasons are better than others. And some episodes are better than others. I do kinda miss the old school animation tho.

JetBoy on September 25, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Concur, only its Responsibilitah! :)

jake49 on September 25, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Meh. I’ve only ever watched one clip from South Park that I can recall, and that was the one that illustrated the creators sort of ambiguity towards Mormonism–it was a clip wherein they declared that the Mormons were right about who went to heaven. Pretty funny for me, actually.

The LDS church actually advertised at one point (maybe they still do, I don’t know) in the playbill or something for “The Book of Mormon” musical, despite the rather blatant inaccuracies and distortions of the faith. But then again, after all, the book is always better.

Still, South Park offends lots of liberals, which is good. I can’t help but think that there is room for a clean show that does the same, though.

Vanceone on September 25, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I haven’t seen that one…
JetBoy on September 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM

whatcat on September 25, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I also had objections to my kids watching South Park and the Simpsons.

Kids, being kids, the underlying ‘messaging’ didn’t seem to be coming through.

But the juvenile “humor” did. And was repeated daily until the plug was pulled.

Don’t have a cow, man!

GarandFan on September 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Hm. South Park you say? Ok, I’ll give it a try. Thanks Nick. Hey, watch out for that Y2K bug, by the way. You can’t be too careful.

Dongemaharu on September 25, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Attack on Titan is better.

nobar on September 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I’ve watched it since I was a kid, like 9 or 10. I do have a fairly foul mouth and irreverent sense of humor, but I don’t really think those things are necessarily bad if used correctly. Like, I don’t curse around my grandma because I know it offends her, and as I love her, I don’t have any interest in offending her for no reason.

And that’s the point – focusing on the language or the crudeness of the jokes misses the forest for the trees. Most of the things I took from the show while growing up were – don’t take things too seriously, treat the people you care about well, you’re responsible for your own lot in life so make the best of it, and hold to your values strong while appreciating that people won’t necessarily always agree with you (and only jagoffs take issue with that).

Those are all things my parents taught me as well, but the show really helped hammer them home because it built itself credibility with humor and language that appealed to me as a 10 year old. It didn’t treat me like some kind of invalid that would somehow be broken by dirty language.

galenrox on September 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM

You must be a real joy of a Dad.

lostmotherland on September 25, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Not a fan, but maybe SP does so well because it respects its audience.

22044 on September 25, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Remember this Nick?

Dongemaharu on September 25, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I haven’t seen that one…but it had to better than Baseketball.

JetBoy on September 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Basketball isn’t as bad as Orgazmo.

As a Mormon, I actually liked the Book of Mormon play. I even wrote a review about the play.

Conservative Samizdat on September 25, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I dunno. I was a fan, but they put a Tea Party member in an anger management group. If I recall correctly, it had to do with a small penis (putting Tea Party members on the same level as what SP did with Osama bin Laden).

There was also another AlGore episode where it felt like they had changed their minds about global warming. I think it had to do with a flea or some head lice.

I agree with Ed that often it feels like they’re just ridiculing what they don’t like.

eforhan on September 25, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Antidote Anecdote

Fixed

Christien on September 25, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Conservative Samizdat on September 25, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I noticed, or at least it seemed to me that, most of the vocal complaint about The Book of Mormon (the play) came from outside the LDS church. If South Park is any indication – hard as it can be to tell with good satire that makes fun of anything and everything – Parker and Stone’s opinion of the LDS church is something along the lines of “they’re a little strange, but good people.” I thought they were much harder on scientology in the Tom Cruise is In the Closet episode.

gryphon202 on September 25, 2013 at 6:24 PM

South Park is the most intelligent TV show on the air. (One reason why I don’t have TV anymore)
It’s not meant for kids, and people who think it is, just because it’s animated need to get a clue.
If you think Cartman or any of the other characters are role models, you need to get a life.
If you watch the documentary done a couple of years back, you’ll realize they are out to simply say “F@#K you” to as many people as possible.
They rag on everyone:
Mormons, Tea Partiers, Global warming nuts, Democrats, Republicans, Muslims (Although Mohammed was blanked out from the episodes when aired, and I’m still angry at Comedy Central for that.) Christians, Jews, every politician, every actor, any famous person.

The only one they treated nicely was “Wing” who sang a song…

RDH on September 25, 2013 at 6:27 PM

huge SP fan.
while comedy central takes the cowards way out parker/stone make fun of everything.

dmacleo on September 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Attack on Titan is better.

nobar on September 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM

o_O

/Not sure if serious

DangerHighVoltage on September 25, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Wow. So many people on here are completely clueless about South Park. It is the farthest thing from liberal BS there is on TV. If anything they mostly make fun of liberals. Conservatives too to some extent but not nearly as much.

My favorite is the episode where kyle’s parents buy a prius and move to San Francisco to be around more “progressive” people.

The Notorious G.O.P on September 25, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Uh, no. I won’t let my kid watch it and he’s 25.

platypus on September 25, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I refuse to act like an actual “parent” and see that my “children” become “adults” someday.

Oh, you’re 20? You can go to Afghanistan and fire a machine gun at people, but if I catch you with a Budweiser…

In the past 17 years, there have been legions of editorial opinion writers and cultural observers that have credited South Park with being one of the most intelligent shows on TV. If all you see is the fart jokes and poopie humor, you’re apparently immune to irony on a grand scale. It’s like that scene in Apocalypse Now, where Colonel Kurtz (Brando) says, “We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won’t allow them to write FUCK on their airplanes because…it’s obscene!”

I’m not comparing you to Josef Stalin, but your comment is one more reason Trey Parker and Matt Stone are never, ever without a wealth of material for their episodes.

thejackal on September 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM

How would a show making fun of Judaism or Islam do on Broadway – even if it was less sophomoric than BoM?

If you knew anything then you would know that Matt and Trey tried to do a show ripping on Islam and Mohammed. The executives in charge wouldn’t allow it and neither would the censors. To prove a point, at the end of the episode where they had to censor out the image of Mohmmed they showed Jesus taking a crap on the US flag. It was their way of saying F You to the censors by showing how ridiculous it is that you can show Jesus defecating on the American flag but a cartoon image of Mohammed has to be censored.

The Notorious G.O.P on September 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM

NASCAR, Bikers, Scientologists.
Anyone who is popular, or takes themselves too seriously is a target for SP.

RDH on September 25, 2013 at 6:50 PM

reason number 100 why nick is an idiot. south Park’s language and themes are made by adults not for children but for adults/older teenagers. I would never let my young children think this crap is ok and I say that as a fan of south park.

South park is not for young children. Period.

unseen on September 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM

RDH on September 25, 2013 at 6:27 PM

agree its satire for the sake of satire. nothing more nothing less and it is refreshing to have something like that but it is not and never will be acceptable for young children.

unseen on September 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM

if you really want to introduce your children to satire read them Gulliver’s travels.

unseen on September 25, 2013 at 6:59 PM

unseen on September 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Define “young.” That’s dangerously close to a weasel word. Hell, I know some people in their 40′s that are less mature than some in their tweens.

gryphon202 on September 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM

The Notorious G.O.P on September 25, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Excuse me, they bought a Pious, not a Prius.

/pay attention

roy_batty on September 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM

unseen on September 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM

The difficulty with Gulliver’s Travels is it takes some effort and research into 17th and 18th century England to appreciate it. I know something of that time frame, yet I know I don’t get all the satire in Gulliver’s Travels. It’s a great novel, but I know I don’t appreciate it for all it’s worth.

gryphon202 on September 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I suggest 16, despite the assertion adolescence ends at 25 now…

RDH on September 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM

If you hate South Park, watch the “1%” episode. Seriously, just give it the 25 minutes.

Jeddite on September 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM

gryphon202 on September 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I suggest 16, despite the assertion adolescence ends at 25 now…

RDH on September 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I think parents can handle it on their own without being told what to do by “Spliff” Gillespie or anyone else.

gryphon202 on September 25, 2013 at 7:10 PM

roy_batty on September 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM

“Yeah, I wanna be part of solution, not the problem… ”

I still laugh every time I see a Prius.

RDH on September 25, 2013 at 7:11 PM

…screw you guys, I’m going home.

equanimous on September 25, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Ed, between this and some of your movie reviews, I am really having a hard time being on the same page with you about much of anything lately.

Perhaps there are some good lessons to be learned from South Park. Perhaps the creators aren’t flaming liberals, but libertarians, with some good ideas to share. Perhaps the show is even “intelligent” in some sense.

None of that changes the fact that it is crass, crude, vulgar, and deeply offensive. And it should not be embraced by adults or teenagers. There are plenty of ways to teach your children these valuable lessons without supporting garbage such as South Park.

Shump on September 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM

gryphon202 on September 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM

young? depends on the child but I think 15/16 is old enough to be able to “get” most of the jokes and to get the satire. and be able to separate the message from the cussing and sexual content.

unseen on September 25, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Shump on September 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM

*rabble rabble

equanimous on September 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM

RDH on September 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM

yeah it’s a little heavy but it gives a chance to teach young children about how and why the country was founded too. The time frame was really a massive change in human experience. As humans took off the yoke of its masters and started to flex their freedom

unseen on September 25, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I haven’t watched the show much over the last couple of years have they made fun of Obama?

unseen on September 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM

♪♫ I don’t know, but I’ve been told ♫♪

Axe on September 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I haven’t seen many episodes, but “Die Hippie, Die” is priceless: http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s09e02-die-hippie-die

HakerA on September 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM

HakerA on September 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM

That is a must watch

The Notorious G.O.P on September 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM

My son prefers the “How a ______ is Made” DVDs.
Fill in the blank: Fire Trucks, Concrete Mixers etc.

Bubba Redneck on September 25, 2013 at 8:20 PM

unseen on September 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM

lines like a border patrol agent saying we didn’t expect obama to make things so shi**y illegals are leaving the US.
or an episode (2012) from obama winning where its due to stolen ballots.
yeah they are equal opportunity bashers.

dmacleo on September 25, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Wife & I love South Park.

However, does the guy with the too-cool-for-school jacket even have kids? Don’t think so. He wants other people to subject their kids to language & situations that mess up there heads, not his own.

HDFOB on September 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Won’t be allowing son & daughter to view South Park until at least 15, probably 16.

HDFOB on September 25, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I’ve never met a person of good character who routinely engaged in the use of gratuitous personal vulgarity or scatological humor.

Knott Buyinit on September 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Knott Buyinit on September 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Better take a seat, Peanut. What I have to say is going to rock your universe.

South Park is not a person. It’s a TV show.

If you actually, seriously, believe the qualities and characteristics of human beings and broadcast television drama/comedy are the same, you need therapy and, most likely, heavy meds.

Let’s split the difference. Just give your little noggin’ a rest and stick to Duck Dynasty. Nothing to make your poor little head go a’ wheezling. Nothing like an episode of the hillbilly’s version of Jersey Shore to make you proud to be stupid.

thejackal on September 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I’m 50, a mother and a grandmother and I think South Park is hilarious. Yes, it’s gross sometimes and offensive but for the most part it’s very funny, current and relevant. We let our kids, who are all totally normal adults watch it in their early teens. If your kids have friends or go to school with other kids, believe me they have probably heard far worse anyway.

I can’t believe that no one has mentioned Team America: World Police also from Matt and Trey.
It is irreverent and side splitting. But, if the thought of puppet sex makes you clutch your pearls and swoon, don’t watch it.

Jomama on September 25, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Tonight was great. They destroyed Alec Baldwin and made the analogy of the Government becoming the new religion and how people put all their faith in government.

South Park is kind of a litmus test for me on how I view people. If you are one who thinks South Park is completely unfunny and just overall horrible then you most likely are a complete bore of a person who has zero sense of humor and takes life way too seriously.

The Notorious G.O.P on September 26, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Swift satirises the Royal Society of Science and the scientific view of existence – which would be more shocking now in the 21st century than when the book was written.

aengus on September 26, 2013 at 5:12 AM

Er, scientistic view of existence. See scientism.

aengus on September 26, 2013 at 5:15 AM

Jomama on September 25, 2013 at 9:58 PM

With you 100%! Of all their work, Team America is proof that Parker/Stone will go down in history like Gilbert/Sullivan or Wodehouse/Kern. That movie was hilarious. Parker and Stone are the funniest SOBs since Mel Brooks. People who don’t “get” them must have grown up in a tool shed.

Oh, and it’s marionette sex. Puppet sex is perverted. Marionette sex, on the other hand, is hilarious!

thejackal on September 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM

My kids should NOT be watching South Park, because they can’t make their point without being crude.

And even barring a family-friendly version of the same show, it’s not like they would get 95% of the social satire anyway. They lack the context to understand the deeper points of the show. South Park has the best social satire of any show currently on TV but not for my kids.

My kids already watch Regular Show, which I deem relatively harmless, but they don’t pull the real meat out of that show because they weren’t alive in the 80s and 90s. They just think a bluejay and a raccoon trying to Death Punch each other is funny.

The Schaef on September 26, 2013 at 10:20 AM

The Notorious G.O.P on September 26, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Contrast: Isaac Hayes quitting the show that made him relevant again, versus the producers of 24 sending Parker/Stone an “actual” snuke.

The Schaef on September 26, 2013 at 10:22 AM

thejackal on September 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Oh you are sooo right. ;-)

Lambchop + Mr Hat = Ewwwwww.

Howdy Doody + Pinocchio = Freak’n hilarious.

Jomama on September 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM

And as long as I’m triple-posting…

Among my favorites are:
- the episode where Cartman goes to the studio where they make Family Guy, and it’s just a dolphin gathering balls with random words on them, which get mashed into a Family Guy cutaway pop-culture reference.
- the episode where Kyle is pursued by Apple agents due to a ToS update that he clicked without reading. Bonus funny: all his friends apparently read the ToS before clicking. In their entirety.
- the episode where Lucas and Spielberg remake Raiders of the Lost Ark, with Ewoks and such. Bonus funny: Butters threatens to blow up the movie a la the movie, and all the bad guys point their walkie-talkies at him menacingly.

The Schaef on September 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Oh you are sooo right. ;-)

Lambchop + Mr Hat = Ewwwwww.

Howdy Doody + Pinocchio = Freak’n hilarious.

Jomama on September 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM

You talk smack about Lambchop, and I will hurt you.

thejackal on September 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Reason: Your kids should be watching South Park

Bad advice. South Park is not a children’s show.

Now, if Reason wants to publish an article about how adults should be watching South Park…..

But leave the kids out of it.

There Goes the Neighborhood on September 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Shump on September 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Crass, crude, vulgar, and deeply offensive.

And those are its good points!

No, I’m not being sarcastic. I’m being quite literal. To the people who air the program, the only reason they put the show on the air is because it’s crass, crude, vulgar, and offensive. That’s the only reason they tolerate the anti-PC attitude and skewering of pompous liberals.

The show isn’t really appropriate for adults, either. But at least adults can make up their own mind.

There Goes the Neighborhood on September 26, 2013 at 1:23 PM

South Park is the Miley Cyrus of cartoons.

What is wrong with you?!

Shy Guy on September 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM

South Park is the Miley Cyrus of cartoons.

What is wrong with you?!

Shy Guy on September 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Miley Cyrus is not intelligent, nor popular, nor in her 17th season.

Epic fail.