Open thread: Senate to vote at 1 p.m. ET on bringing House’s CR defunding ObamaCare to the floor; Update: Motion passes unanimously

posted at 12:41 pm on September 25, 2013 by Allahpundit

This is not, as I understand it from ABC’s timetable, the key vote that Cruz and Lee want filibustered. This is the vote to end debate on the motion to proceed; after 30 hours, they’ll have another vote on the motion itself, at which point Reid will file his amendment stripping the defunding language out of the House bill. Then, on Saturday, comes the key vote — a cloture vote to end debate on Reid’s amendment. Reid needs 60 for that, and if he gets it, he can pass his amendment with a simple majority on Sunday.

So why are we interested in this vote? Because, after Cruz’s ironman efforts in support of a filibuster, it might give us a sense of whether the “defund” caucus has grown overnight. (Jeff Sessions, formerly a skeptic of the Cruz/Lee strategy, announced last night that he’d vote with them. At some point, the politics of this will tilt Republican fencesitters towards siding with Cruz so long as they know their individual votes won’t actually get him to the 41 he needs.) No guarantee, though: Cruz himself might vote for cloture today just to move things along and get to the big showdown on Saturday. But maybe the defunders are planning to treat each of the upcoming votes as a test of strength, voting no at each step to signal their opposition even though they know they’re going to be outvoted. Turn on C-SPAN 2 and we’ll see what happens.

Key question now for McConnell and Boehner: Is there any way to speed this up? If they stick to the schedule, the House won’t get Reid’s clean CR back until Sunday night, with a shutdown set to happen on Monday. (Reid himself alluded to this after Cruz finally ended his speech, snidely dismissing it as having been a waste of time.) There’s chatter among Senate Republicans about yielding back some of their floor time during the coming days, but maybe that would look extra RINO-y after Cruz’s marathon floor session. Meanwhile, in the House, Boehner’s reportedly considering adding a one-year delay for the individual mandate once he gets Reid’s bill and sending it back to the Senate. If he does that, it means a shutdown since Senate Dems will block it. But a temporary delay on the individual mandate after Obama already unilaterally delayed the employer mandate is better politics for the GOP during a shutdown than a straight defunding effort is.

Stand by for updates.

Update: A new report of tension in the caucus room:

Boozman, an Arkansas Republican elected in 2010, stood up and yelled at Cruz, expressing frustration that his staff was deluged with belligerent phone calls mostly from out-of-state activists attacking the senator over the issue of defunding Obamacare, according to several sources familiar with the exchange. Boozman also slammed Cruz for suggesting Republicans were in favor of the three-year-old law even though all of them opposed it and have repeatedly voted to repeal it.

Staring at Cruz, Boozman said he hasn’t been bullied since the seventh grade and he wouldn’t be bullied now.

Several Republicans cheered Boozman and one quipped: “A sleeping bear had been awoken.”

Boozman naturally declined comment when asked about it by reporters. NBC claimed last night that Rand Paul had sided with McConnell in the same meeting by arguing against Cruz’s filibuster strategy. That’s not improbable — Paul has been sour on the prospects of a shutdown and was pushing his own alternative to the defunding strategy even before Cruz began his speech yesterday afternoon — but he did end up coming to the floor last night to show support for Cruz once the speech had begun. If tea partiers are your base, there’s no way to be safely on the other side of this issue from Cruz right now. At least publicly.

Update: Nope, not a test vote. All 100 senators voted to end debate on the motion to proceed. Maybe tomorrow’s vote, on the motion itself, will be the test.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Go to GOP.com and tell them what you think about the human garbage infesting their ranks, you get a 1000 character maximum and I used every last one to voice my displeasure. The GOP can pound every grain of sand in the Sahara as far as I’m concerned, I’m so done with them there aren’t words in any language to describe just how much.

Bishop on September 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Cool!

So if I use 240 size Font, I should be able to get in
three words. oh, and I think the language will be appropriate.

Thanks much!!

ToddPA on September 25, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Congressional Democrats who refused Obamacare exemption:

(If I missed anyone, please correct the above list.)

Christien on September 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Don’t delay. Ignore.

Fund piece by piece. Put them all on record!!!

derigeur is right.

Otherwise make all of them live under it for years, as a good ex. bef. the people have to.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Fluke you Coats.

NO one wants to shut down, except obama, Reid and Pelosi, and clans.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 1:47 PM

So he sends a staffer out to anonymously report to the lefty rag Politico. Looks to more more like he wasn’t beaten up in junior high school often enough.

bofh on September 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Coats is the White Flag guy. Go to Hades.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Cruz just wrapped up his interview with Rush still speaking coherently, intelligently, and with conviction even after almost 22 hours on the Senate floor. No uh-huhs, mmm mmms, but, but, buts to be heard. Guessing there weren’t any teleprompter around either.

susandiane311 on September 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Coats makes Chamberlain look glorious.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Who knew that a few bad phone calls was all it took for Boozman to get up off his ass and do his job?

They should have called a long time ago…

Marcus Traianus on September 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM

DON’T FUND IT….

Sign the petition!!!

UnderstandingisPower on September 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM

A sleeping bear had been awoken?

cripes, what kind of grammar is that?

herm2416 on September 25, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Awoken is the past participle of awake. The senator was using the past perfect (had plus p.p.), perhaps thinking the bear needed to wake up before it started to yell.

Not the most elegant phrasing, but not disastrous either.

bobs1196 on September 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Looks he has been bullied.

Vince on September 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Thanks. Well, I called his office Monday and there was a recording; no staff or aide to speak with.

Let’s bully him some more!!

John Boozman R-AR D.C. Office 202-224-4843; FAX 202-228-1371

1001 Highway 62 East, Suite 11
Mountain Home, AR 72653 Voice: 870-424-0129
FAX: 870-424-0141

1401 West Capitol Avenue, Plaza F
Little Rock, AR 72201 Voice: 501-372-7153
FAX: 501-372-7163

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Despite my longstanding beliefs of the futility of this approach, I applaud Ted Cruz’s efforts in this. He fights for the American people. And that’s refreshing in Washington. I’m ashamed of John McCain today.

Chris of Rights on September 25, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Tim Kaine, you swine, you lie already.

It is NO longer the gov’t “of the people…bla, bla”

YOU guys go onto the obama’care’, by example, you thugs of the land, you hyenas.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Boozman says, “Out-of-staters” to provide himself cover when he fails to represent his constituents or the best interests of this country.

As for McCain, well, it would have been nice if he’d used that logic BEFORE Obamacare became law to make certain it didn’t pass.

Spineless, just spineless.

EdmundBurke247 on September 25, 2013 at 1:53 PM

What did Coats say? I missed it.

I guess I need to call his office too.

Chris of Rights on September 25, 2013 at 1:55 PM

The key point to remember is that we’re (Tea Party Conservatives) fighting a guerrilla war at the moment – against the GOP RINO establishment as well as against the progressive fascists enacting ‘fundamental change’.

Until we control Congress and the White House, we are not assured of being able to repeal Obamacare – particularly when there are so many in the GOP caucus who want to go along to get along / subscribe to the theory that success comes not from standing on conservative principles, but on being progressive-lite.

This is a long war. We are in the hot gates fighting our Thermopylae – sending a message, buying time to mobilize for the 2014 and 2016 elections, and making the case to stop the progressive fascism that is overtaking this country.

We are spending at an irresponsible and unsustainable level.

We have accrued so much debt and unfunded liabilities that it is virtually impossible to pay – and we can no longer kick that can down the road.

We have moved from a government accountable to the people to being a people who are accountable to an overreaching government.

We can either fight or surrender.

We’ve learned who in the GOP will fight and who prefer surrender.

Athos on September 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Bishop on September 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I called them, and no shocker all lines were busy, so I left a message.
Didn’t swear like I wanted to…ended by saying “I stand w/Cruz it seems you stand with progressives/Obama. SHOW ME SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

MontanaMmmm on September 25, 2013 at 1:58 PM

What did Coats say? I missed it.

I guess I need to call his office too.

Chris of Rights on September 25, 2013 at 1:55 PM

He weaseled:

“I congratulate Sen. Cruz, I watched some of him, but he had the floor, so I slept, mostly…”

Then he supported that they vote for obama’care’ so the gov’t doesn’t shut down…as if the Rs are wishing to shut it down.

He never emphasized that obama, the Ds are shutting the gov’t down.

He is a weasel, just like McCain, though the latter doesn’t Coat is so well.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 1:59 PM

ObamaCare will not kill the Dems…many Americans want the government to take of them. I do believe we are witnessing the death of the GOP…many will never vote GOP again.

d1carter on September 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I’m ashamed of John McCain today.

Chris of Rights on September 25, 2013 at 1:52 PM

McCain dumped on Cruz big time for his WWII analogies. But, Chamberlain was the leader of the conservative party in Britain, after all. It’s not such a stretch. The Founding Fathers were all British. I mean, people make mistakes.

McCain savaging Cruz reminded me of McCain’s nickname of “McNasty”, and his temperament such that if you back him into a corner, heck, even if you literally torture him in a prison camp of horrors, he’ll sneer at you and spit in your face. OK. But why do it towards his own party? Please.

Paul-Cincy on September 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Personally, I would rather see an active repeal of BarkyCare and have that whole fight out until it is done. Since Hairy Reed and Barky are going to take this over the cliff, anyway, we might as well be fighting for the real objective. Full repeal.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on September 25, 2013 at 1:40 PM

That is the most direct way to do what must be done. Although the likely outcome would be a government “shut down” (slow-down) for the duration of Obama’s presidency, Obama refusing to budge like Horatio at the bridge for the rest of his term, with never enough Senate Dems on board to override his veto.

Republicans would have to educate the public that the trade-off for no Obamacare is a lot less government (with Obama making the deprivation as painful as possible)– a trade-off you or I would willingly accept, but the uneducated public maybe not so much.

One reason no one likes to commit to all-out battle in a war is that no matter how many ways you game the outcome, no one can be certain of the outcome. Maybe a shutdown would be only slightly more painful than the sequester, or maybe it would precipitate another worldwide depression. Anyone who claims to “know” is just guessing.

That said, the reason Grant was the most successful general in the Civil War is that, unlike most of them, he rarely took into account what the other side might do. He didn’t ignore the other side, but he made his plans and carried them through. And, lo, most of the time the other side was tied up taking him into account. We need a Grant. Actually we need a party full of Grants. As Lincoln said when it was suggested that Grant be dismissed for reported drunkeness: “I can’t spare this man. He fights.”

de rigueur on September 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM

We’ve learned who in the GOP will fight and who prefer surrender.

Athos on September 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Huge benefit of Cruz’ actions, and why both sides hate him so much.

It’s glorious!!!

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM

oh…I think I would have said, “A sleeping bear has been awakened.”

MHO : )

herm2416 on September 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Maybe you should get off your butt and fight Boozman.

I want my money back McCain

gophergirl on September 25, 2013 at 2:04 PM

He never emphasized that obama, the Ds are shutting the gov’t down.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Losing the battle for hearts and minds.

socalcon on September 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Huge benefit of Cruz’ actions, and why both sides hate him so much.

It’s glorious!!!

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Yep let’s see we have

Cruz
Lee
Paul
Sessions
Vitter
Roberts
Inhofe
Rubio (he deserves kudos for this even though I don’t trust him)
Grassley

Anybody I’m missing?

gophergirl on September 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Taking aside all of the procedural details, and what numbers it takes to do X or Y, I see the greatest value in this exercise as Cruz being on the right side of the issue. Let’s face it, the numbers have changed very little regarding BambiCare™, a strong majority of the American people still don’t want this trainwreck of a suppository. By going about this in such a visible way (media malfeasance aside of course), Cruz is not only firing up much of the base, but laying the groundwork for some great adverts in ’14 and ’16, about the times that all of the joys of BambiCare™ are being felt. I say net positive results (knowing that the outcome was inevitable for all intents and purposes).

JusDreamin on September 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM

oh…I think I would have said, “A sleeping bear has been awakened.”

MHO : )

herm2416 on September 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM

or “This sleeping bear is an a-hole”

socalcon on September 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM

In case some are wanting to contact McCain:

DC Phone: 202-224-2235
DC Fax: 202-228-2862

2201 East Camelback Road, Suite 115
Phoenix, AZ 85016 Voice: 602-952-2410
FAX: 602-952-8702

122 North Cortez Street, Suite 108
Prescott, AZ 86301 Voice: 928-445-0833
FAX: 928-445-8594

407 West Congress Street, Suite 103
Tucson, AZ 85701 Voice: 520-670-6334
FAX: 520-670-6637

I use the District Office #’s when there is hi volume issues going on since the D.C. phone#’s are usually busy. The District offices “usually” have aides/staff that ans the phones.

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Anybody I’m missing?

gophergirl on September 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Senator Enzi R-WY is one. His staff person was very nice when I called yesterday:-) So was Isakson R-GA and Wicker R-MS.

Not that others were rude, but these were extra nice.

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Paul-Cincy on September 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Yes, the WWII stuff was awful. I understand his point, but I don’t totally agree. However, his timing on it was terrible, since he had just finished doing his own Neville act.

No, what irked me was his beginning. He had to tell us how hard the GOP fought against ObamaCare. And that in the end we lost. And that he campaigned against it. And we lost. And that Romney campaigned against it. And we lost. And the Democrats were so honorable and wonderful during all of that. His message seemed to be. “We were outfought. The people have spoken. We need to accept that and move on.”

That’s not a message that I’m willing to accept.

“Lost causes are the only ones worth fighting for”, and “never stop fighting until the fight is done” and all that.

Chris of Rights on September 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I keep hearing Repubs think they are defeated.

Hmmm. Who was the last limp wristed GOP presidential candidate again?

I switched to republican many, many years ago because 1) dems had been taken over by socialists, and 2) the repubs more closely represented my morals and ethics.

This is not a new revelation, it’s just acknowledging I have been looking again, for awhile. There are still some good exceptions and between that and the ‘lesser of 2 evils’, I hadn’t changed yet.

I’m ready for a new party.

TerryW on September 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, to Rush Limbaugh: ‘The single biggest surprise about arriving to the Senate is the defeatist attitude here’ – @HotlineJosh

davidk on September 25, 2013 at 2:20 PM

That’s not a message that I’m willing to accept.

Yes, the WW2 references really irked the Senator, and others like you.

Is what McCain and others in the GOP establishment are advocating ‘appeasement’? I don’t see it as appeasement. They believe that electoral success comes from becoming progressive-lite as opposed to standing on traditional conservative principles. They see any further fighting, including shutting down the government, as counter-productive and doomed to failure not only now but in 2014 and 2016. It’s not appeasement, it’s defeatism.

There are two far better WW2 analogies that we can use….

1) The GOP establishment is acting like the Petain government in France in June 1940 – rushing to surrender as opposed to the Churchill led British government in June 1940 vowing to fight on against overwhelming odds….

2) It’s a mistake to compare McCain and the others of the GOP establishment to Chamberlain at Munich. Obama, in the recent Syrian kerfuffle was like Chamberlain at Munich. McCain and the GOP establishment are acting far closer to Quislings than Chamberlain.

Athos on September 25, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Now that the filibuster is over and the media will make sure to grill Cruz with Democratic questions, maybe it’s time for Cruz to switch tactics. He should tell the media that what he did was to inform the public about what’s coming down the road. He should turn this interview into a Democratic vs. Republican debate on media treatment. He should say that he knew what the media would do and now they have to justify why a Democratic filibuster is good and a Republican filibuster is bad. He can use this time to treat the media the same way he and the rest of the Republicans have been treated for three years.
With the budget, tell the President he is going to get exactly the same amount of spending as the law collects in revenue. This bill, enacted through reconciliation measures in the Senate, was meant to reduce the deficit. And the GOP will hold Obama, Reid and Pelosi to their word. If they fail to “play ball”, then they can defend the procedure used to enact a law that will increase our deficits. (This could lead to a new SC hearing.)

djaymick on September 25, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Mr. INHOFE. Before that happens, I think it is important that the people of this country have to know what this is all about. This is socialized medicine. A lot of them didn’t believe that. Last week majority leader Harry Reid was on the PBS “Nevada Week in Review.” He was asked whether his goal was to move ObamaCare to a single-payer system. His answer was: Yes, yes. Absolutely yes. Do a lot of the people know what a single-payer system is? That is essentially socialized medicine.

davidk on September 25, 2013 at 2:25 PM

The Senate has cleared a hurdle on a stopgap spending bill that would avert a government shutdown and unravel President Barack Obama’s health care law.

The vote was 100-0 and came an hour after freshman Sen. Ted Cruz ended his 21-hour, 19-minute filibuster. Cruz supports the bill but used a stalling tactic to postpone the inevitable — Democratic leader Harry Reid has the votes to strip out the defund Obamacare provision and send the spending bill back to the House.

The procedural vote allows the Senate to move ahead on the bill, with a key vote looming Friday or Saturday. The fiscal year ends on Monday and failure to pass a bill would force a government shutdown.

davidk on September 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM

davidk on September 25, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Thank you for the link!

INC on September 25, 2013 at 2:47 PM

davidk on September 25, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I never thot there would be a transcript!

Thanks davidk

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 2:51 PM

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 2:51 PM

WaPo must have quickly gotten a copy from whomever was transcribing it for the Congressional Record. I was going to look it up later, but never thought it would be available so soon.

INC on September 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM

That’s the general link for looking up stuff for future reference.

INC on September 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Limbaugh read a memo from the WH, ordering the LSM news outlets (ABC, NBC/MSNBC,CBS,CNN, etc.) to NOT do any reports on what is actually happening with prices of 0bamcare insurance policies.

Make this known.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Athos on September 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Until we control the GOP…

Rancher on September 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM

LOL at the GOP. Aholes.

Mr. Arrogant on September 25, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I’m disappointed that none of the Cruz-related posts used as a screen-cap the picture of his daughters in matching pajamas watching him on TV. That was priceless.

Also, at least one of them could have at least considered the screen-cap caption, “Cruz Control.”

BuckeyeSam on September 25, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I watch everything with closed captioning. I would think that would give them an instant transcript. Thank you for the link.

Rose on September 25, 2013 at 3:19 PM

susandiane311 on September 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM

unseen on September 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM

seems to me the Arkansas voters have just been issued a challenge. Can you bully your elected representative into doing what you wish or will you allow him to bully you?

unseen on September 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM

CRUZ was great. I am proud to support him. I hope all those people that bailed on Palin when things got tough continue to stand behind Cruz when the knives come out.

unseen on September 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM

From what I hear if the GOP funds everything else and Obama and the Dems refuse the government shuts down and the MSM will blame Republicans. Despite the fact that when both sides refuse to budge both sides are responsible, the GOP will be blamed. The GOP is abdicating its power to the MSM, the preceding argument can be made on every major issue so what the hell good is the GOP? It wont be an opposition party except symbolically. Time to defund the GOP.

Rancher on September 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM

INC on September 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Thanks INC. Nice to have that.

I read somewhere that Thomas was making some changes.

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Cornyn will be on Hannity’s radio show soon.

Rand Paul was on. Didn’t sound encouraging but said he will still vote no on cloture. Seems like he can’t reconcile his endorsment of McConnell, his support of Cruz and his possible intent of running in 2016.

He needs to decide which side he is going to land on, and soon.
IMO, his support of McConnell is a deal breaker. I can’t support Rand due to that.

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Make this known.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I heard that. Other than that, I enlightened a family member this morning with some reality about O’Crap:-)

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 3:59 PM

BuckeyeSam on September 25, 2013 at 3:15 PM

That was precious, I agree. Breitbart had the pic on their site this am, plus a nice combo of updates thru the night and am.

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Cornyn on Hannity radio now lying yet!!

He agrees with everyone, except he won’t walk his talk. Another symbolic voter, just as Senator described!!

Whine, whine and more whine.

He & others disgust me!!

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM

That would Senator Cruz that described these symbolic voters.

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 4:13 PM

This vote would happen even if Harry Reid were not going to corrupt the house bill, to advance it, so the vote is not a vote on the bill. BUT in Harry Reids Senate, even the first vote to advance a bill often gets the Kabosh, so this is what we want…I think.

Fleuries on September 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM

unseen on September 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM

He is one bully that I plan on bullying some more:-)

I have about 17 R Senators to contact and then I’ll have finished with all 46! Takes a lot longer when the phones are busy, etc.

Complete call info on Boozman:

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Complete call info on McCain:

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM

If the senate changes a bill the house passed, doesn’t it have to go to committee to be negotiated, and both houses vote on the new bill? I don’t get while Reid has power to change a law congress passed and congress can’t do anything about it.

Akzed on September 25, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Unanimous cloture vote = obstructionist Republican filibuster

The Schaef on September 25, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Akzed on September 25, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Any time one house of Congress changes the other house’s bill, or each house passes a separate bill covering the same matter, the two houses have to go to conference and thrash out a bill that will pass both houses. The reconciled bill then has to be passed by both houses to become law. Harry Reid’s version of the House CR has to go back to the House where:

1) the House can agree to a conference committee comprised of members of the House and Senate to come up with a mutually agreeable bill, which both houses have to pass to become law; or

2) the House can ignore Reid’s bill and send the Senate another one of its own. Which requires Reid once again to go through everything he’s going through on the current House bill. Which could even occasion another filibuster :)

de rigueur on September 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM

de rigueur on September 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM

You’re close.

1) This is mostly correct. Although it’s extremely rare for a bill accepted by the conference committee to not pass both chambers. It’s usually done by voice vote.

2) This is correct, but it’s not the only option. The smarter one for the GOP House (and what they should have done last week), is to send several small bills/CRs each funding a portion of the government. Get the military their pay. Make sure the Social Security checks go out, etc. These bills/CRs would make no mention of ObamaCare one way or the other except where necessary, which seems like it would likely fall mostly under funding of HHS and IRS. Harry and Barry would have to accept a bill/CR that funds the military and sends out SS checks. Then they can go to the mat on shutting down HHS and the IRS, but that might actually be a place where the GOP can win. It’s certainly a more manageable batttle.

You also forgot…

3) The House can forgo a conference committee and just pass the CR returned from the Senate.

Chris of Rights on September 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Kelly Ayotte on C-span R- New Hampshire is saying that 1/3 of the Hospitals in N.H. are NOT in the Exchanges. She is repeating much of what Cruz said, Unions etc in addition to what is going on in N.H.

After all of that, the bottom line is that her vote is going to be to FUND Obamacare so we can keep the Government from shutting down.

She is both for Obamacare and against it, but is siding with being for it.

She’s trying to justify her betrayal of the American people.

A bag of B.S. imo.

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 5:49 PM

The prevailing wisdom in the conservative world is that Obamacare must be stopped now, or it will become a disastrous entitlement program that can never be reversed.

I have heard this argument before from many prominent conservatives…Limbaugh, Cruz, Lee, Palin, etc. That argument bothers me more than any other issue facing our country, short of the eventual takeover of America by the religion of Islam. I will discuss that topic on another post.

I fully grasp the problems and challenges of reducing or taking away entitlement programs for the masses. It’s been tried over and over with welfare goodies, food stamps, housing programs and all the other give-away ideas that have resulted from government power gone beserk. But to declare an entitlement program will never be stopped after implementation is like declaring a war will never be won regardless of the strategy and number of battles. If that is the prevailing mindset within the halls of Congress, then what is the purpose of citizens voting? What reason would anybody have to get involved in grassroots political activism if the outcome is always going to be defeat?

Not all entitlement programs are poisonous in nature. Those that were designed as a safety net for the masses only become toxic due to the negligence and malpractice of the politicians we designate to be caretakers of the programs. We are quick to demonize the programs, but we become totally complacent when we need to hold politicians accountable for their complacency as caretakers.

Social Security, which I hesitate to call an entitlement program, is a prime example of a compassionate and worthy government program out of control. The program is rife with fraud and abuse. Always has been from the start. However, the program is still alive and will be for years to come unless something else replaces it. If the politicians were serious about dealing with the fraud and abuse, and serious about tweaking the system in terms of retirement age and disability requirements, the program could likely survive for decades to come without the fear of collapse.

Unfortunately, the concerns with Obamacare should have been addressed before the bill was signed into law. But they weren’t and we have to deal with it. It cannot be stopped at this point, but it has a solid chance of being repealed in the future after the horrors of implementation and reality become clear in the minds of most Americans. My brother, who is a committed Democrat, is already expressing doubts about Obamacare. He is 66 years of age and is beginning to understand the effects Obamacare will have on the elderly as well as his children and grandchildren. He is not a happy camper and I believe that is true with many middle-aged and older Democrats in the country.

I respect Ted Cruz for what he stands for and what he has done trying to stop the law. I think Ted is actually setting the example of the kind of politicain we will need to send to D.C. in the future as America faces many challenges ahead. I also believe Ted is proving to the grassroots conservative voters that we don’t have to accept the status quo, that we don’t have to embrace the GOP establishment.

metroryder on September 25, 2013 at 7:54 PM

She is both for Obamacare and against it, but is siding with being for it.

She’s trying to justify her betrayal of the American people.

A bag of B.S. imo.

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 5:49 PM

graham and mclame gave birth to her out of one of their butt holes…
she has had not one original or independent thought since.

gracie on September 25, 2013 at 8:06 PM

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 5:49 PM

graham and mclame gave birth to her out of one of their butt holes…
she has had not one original or independent thought since.

gracie on September 25, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I don’t recall them being involved, but it is strange someone elected as a Tea Party Candidate and then shazamm, it’s a Democrat!

If I’m not mistaken she’s voted with the Dems ever since. I know she voted for the Immigration bill in June this year. And she’ll vote for this Obamacare funding CR. I wish Sarah Palin would come out against her.

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 9:23 PM

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 5:49 PM

graham and mclame gave birth to her out of one of their butt holes…
she has had not one original or independent thought since.

gracie on September 25, 2013 at 8:06 PM

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Re Ayotte, I think about her and similar cases when posters here casually throw around the “start a third party” notion . What do you do when your third party ends up with Ayottes? Fourth party?

slickwillie2001 on September 25, 2013 at 9:40 PM

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 9:23 PM

slickwillie2001 on September 25, 2013 at 9:40 PM

No, I would think that you would have a platform with recall provisions. Also each House member and Senator would be vetted and held to any campaign promises made. If their first vote or afterward violated the platform or campaign promises, they would be penalized that would be predetermined. They could be relieved of their seat and another would be appointed until election time.

This is off the top of my head, so …:-)

We could start with Cruz and those that supported him. Well, maybe not all of them, but most. Oh, and they would all submit to lie detector tests:-)

Hey, this is fun. Add some of your ideas!!

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM

bluefox on September 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM

State law dictates recall policy, that’s why there’s fifty different ones set by the State government.

slickwillie2001 on September 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM

slickwillie2001 on September 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Well, then that is where we start. Part of what I’m suggesting is in jest, but I believe it would be possible. I liked what Sarah Palin said, the Democrat & Republican Party are private organizations. Thot that was interesting.

After all, we have a Libertarian Party and I think there are others.

It’s clear the D & R Party no longer represent the American People.
I can’t think of any legislation that has been FOR us, it’s always against us. We have to fight both of Parties like our Founders had to continually fight the British. And why? Truly, the love of money is the root of all evil.

bluefox on September 26, 2013 at 10:59 AM