Colorado: Our exchange won’t calculate subsidies online for at least a month, either

posted at 10:01 pm on September 25, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Allahpundit asked, “If D.C.’s in as bad a shape as this, what shape are other exchanges that need to serve bigger, more complicated markets in?”

And, Colorado answers:

Pitched to the public as a Travelocity-style online marketplace for health insurance, Colorado’s new health exchange won’t allow customers to get online tax credits for at least the first month.

Colorado exchange managers revealed Monday during a board meeting that customers who want tax credits to make health insurance more affordable will have to call for help, rather than navigating the multi-million dollar computer system on their own.

One of the target audiences for the new exchange is “young invincibles,” healthy 20-somethings, many of whom prefer to do research and make purchases for everything from athletic shoes to college tuition online.

Normally, these two stories would go in the same piece, but it’s worth highlighting exactly where and how each of these exchanges is falling short of one of the last remaining promises they could have kept. I imagine D.C. and Colorado are just the first couple of dominoes.

The state had a Colorado Benefits Management System in place notorious for glitches, but just like D.C.’s exchange flacks, Obamacare supporters, and Obama himself, the folks in charge of the exchange kept promising it would launch on time and better than ever.

Even customers working with in-person navigators in Colorado (the ones with 20 hours of training and no background checks) will have to call into a customer service line, where another bureaucrat will walk them through an application on the phone. This sounds like a process perfectly tailored to entice young invincibles into the system, amirite, Millenials?

And, surprise, the various databases and government and private online entities required to work together are not marrying up smoothly:

Solutions has reported for months on sparring behind the scenes between exchange managers, who operate outside of state government, and the state officials who run Medicaid. Each is using a different IT consultant, but their systems must dovetail in order for the exchange to work as promised.

Here’s what I wrote in November:

The Washington Post piece assumes the federal data hub itself will work perfectly, even though it’s meant to cull an incredible amount of data and pair it with an incredibly complex set of eligibility requirements. I think even that’s an open question, but here’s the bottom line: This is a giant tech undertaking which will need to serve many localities with different needs, link existing technologies and personnel with a new, giant federal hub, and somehow make sure all of them work together to smoothly to guide consumers who have no idea what to expect in subsidies or services through a brand new web portal for health insurance. They have less than a year to accomplish this. It seems there has been no pilot program, no training, and no beta testing. This thing is ORCA on steroids.

Along with limited choices, cut employee hours, and rate shock, the predicted “pricing glitch” is now a reality.

In Colorado, the health care hacks have moved the goalposts to December 15, saying they expect a slow ramp-up to that later date. Here in D.C., some supporters are admirably candid about their newly low expectations, which we should all accept with aplomb.

It’s your family’s health care, your personal information, your time and energy, and huge chunks of your annual income on the line. But hey, don’t have a cow about it:

Comments

Not to mention…….

katy the mean old lady on September 25, 2013 at 10:06 PM

….ask Justice Roberts for a calculator!

KOOLAID2 on September 25, 2013 at 10:07 PM

It takes time to reprogram to add the extra zeros..

Electrongod on September 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Not to worry, I have it on the authority of one of our finer trolls that Obama has got the very best people on this stuff.

Cindy Munford on September 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM

posted at 10:01 pm on September 25, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

…is blueball here to ask the question yet?

KOOLAID2 on September 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Thats why you delay the individual mandate and not the whole thing. Then you just sit back with your popcorn and enjoy.

Zaggs on September 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM

$5 says they need a month just to get the hardware right. There will be too much pressure from DC for thorough beta testing.

Zaggs on September 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I should sign up from a different State under ten different names with the same address, and under the same name with ten different addresses.

wolly4321 on September 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Cindy Munford on September 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM

“Finer” must be relative (or at least the troll is a relative of a DNC/Presstitute Organ hack).

Steve Eggleston on September 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM

It takes time to reprogram to add the extra zeros..

Electrongod on September 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM

It must be that “scientific notation” software incompatibility.

viking01 on September 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Damn you Cruz, thanks for screwing everything up with your filibuster.

Bishop on September 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I’m really poor. Can I sign up from a public library computer?

wolly4321 on September 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM

It must be that “scientific notation” software incompatibility.

viking01 on September 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Y2K….
Or
Yvote4Obama….

The silent killer…

Electrongod on September 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Obama: ‘Free Contraceptive Care…May Make Up What She’s Spending on Premiums;’ Target: Pill Still $9 Per Month

The more these lies are divorced from reality (and this one is incredibly ridiculous), the angrier people will be when the truth finally comes home.

Reality is going to have the last word on ObamaCare promises.

INC on September 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM

don’t have a cow

Yeah, no worries. Your OLD health care insurance is going to be gone come Jan 1st. Your company has thrown you onto the exchanges, that aren’t working correctly.

NO WORRIES!

GarandFan on September 25, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I should be able to text my application from my obamaphone(s) when I get them.

wolly4321 on September 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM

It’s just a coincidence my application(s) match the obituaries.

wolly4321 on September 25, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Hey, it’s not like we are paying a lot to set this BS up or anything.

Why does our healthcare system look like Geocities now?

tetriskid on September 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM

And the states that say they are ready, the blue states, are probably lying.

CA can’t even get their unemployment checks out on time because of “glitches” in a computer upgrade, LOL!

PattyJ on September 25, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I’m thinking that Obama would have come out far, far ahead if five years ago he campaigned for and signed a bill saying that he would cure cancer by 2014 than this fiasco called Obamacare.

parke on September 25, 2013 at 10:30 PM

…67 million missing from IRS Obama Slush fund…

KOOLAID2 on September 25, 2013 at 10:39 PM

It’s almost as if these healthcare exchanges are government-run.

Bitter Clinger on September 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM

A FB post from a distant relative who rarely posts …

Had our annual benefits enrollment today. Didn’t really know how bad Obama care would be screwing the honest working people !!

Imagine this all over the country !!
It’s gonna hit the libbies, too, and what will THEY say ??
That it’s their privilege to contribute so much for the poor ??
BUUWAHAHA.

pambi on September 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM

There’s nothing to worry about.

They have top men on it.

Top. Men.

trigon on September 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I just ran my personal data and numbers through the online calculator to see what I qualify for.

My only benefit will be a one time choice between a green pill and a yellow pill and my ObamaCare Premium is $6,000,000 a month.

VorDaj on September 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM

i watched a small part of hannity…a leftist moronette argued what kind of country do we want to be? Now, this moronette would love to live in Cuba I bet, under a strong man like Fidel…el jefe.

and lots of people do. not everyone flees Cuba. Yeah, the toilet paper glitch is embarrassing for Venezuela…but its not Socialism or Communism that’s the problem…no, just the thugs that run those countries….right?

so back at you moronette…what kind of country do you want to live in? Hmmmmmm?…yeah, that’s what i thought

r keller on September 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM

It’s just a coincidence my application(s) match the obituaries.

wolly4321 on September 25, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Use the names of all those 114-year olds on the voter rolls in North Carolina.

slickwillie2001 on September 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM

A question just occurred to me. If I live in let’s say Michigan and I’m in the Michigan health exchange thing-a-ma-bopper. And I get a job in let’s say Colorado, do I then have to switch insurance to a different state exchange?

UnderstandingisPower on September 25, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I entered my info into the exchange and it already gave me the big middle finger on subsidies.

besser tot als rot on September 26, 2013 at 12:14 AM

UnderstandingisPower on September 25, 2013 at 11:22 PM

From what I saw, there are multistate plans.

besser tot als rot on September 26, 2013 at 12:15 AM

This was supposed to be like travelocity for health care.

Of course there’s one HUGE difference from Travelocity.

If the Travelocity Web site screws up; I take my business elsewhere. Travelocity knows this and thus works hard to ensure that they don’t screw up.

The Federal government? Nah …

PackerBronco on September 26, 2013 at 12:19 AM

The funniest part is the libs are chomping at the bit to point to a few states, Colorado being one of them, where, supposedly, rates are expected to decrease. Supposedly.

txhsmom on September 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Even bigger problem. If the subsidy is a reimbursable Tax credit then you pay the full fee for the insurance for the entire year then get back the subsidy at tax time the next year. Just how many poor and middle class families can afford to do that?

chemman on September 26, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Local Denver news reported the cost would be down 17% but didn’t say it is down from the high thet was expected not from what it is now

KBird on September 26, 2013 at 7:54 AM

the story of course in Nov will be, hey how come no one is signing up? which they wont. so yeah, the system is a mess for the few who TRY to use it. but the main story will be no one is going there. class act, 8941 credit etc. thats what dems are really worried about. you think the “hey get over all that pride thing and go get your foodstamps’ adds were bad….

t8stlikchkn on September 26, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Yeah, and the boneheaded state rep who had the Colorado bill passed before the Supreme Court had even ruled on it, Amy Stephens, thought it was wonderful (aka AmyCare). She’s a republican.

Wow.

NoPain on September 26, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Good news, you don’t have to actually use or look at an exchange until March 1st, 2014. I would suggest people look at it when they are doing their taxes next spring, there is a lot of time between then and now, and why worry needlessly in the meantime. It would be Really really neat if nobody signs up until the last minute, or at least they use more information gathered between now and then to calculate if paying the penalty is right for them.

Caveat, I am still in favor of repeal on this, but, in 2014, there is every political reason for the democrats to make ACA more palatable. Why don’t they do it? I am not going to give away the secrets but there are so many things they could do to lessen the impact. They don’t do it.

Fleuries on September 26, 2013 at 9:25 AM

It’s almost as if these healthcare exchanges are government-run.

Bitter Clinger on September 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Bumper Sticker of the Post.

AesopFan on September 26, 2013 at 11:48 AM