Report: British former Marine armed with handgun saved as many as 100 people during Kenyan mall attack

posted at 7:21 pm on September 24, 2013 by Allahpundit

Details are thin, but I figure that if the Daily Mail gets enough traffic from various sites for this story, they’ll have to flesh it out in a follow-up. If they’re willing to run shameless click bait like this, they’ve got to be willing to run worthwhile traffic bait about a British vet heroically defying jihadis to stage a one-man rescue, no?

One man, one gun, hundreds of people in fear for their lives. Here we go:

With a gun tucked into his waistband, he was pictured helping two women from the complex…

The former soldier is said to have returned to the building on a dozen occasions, despite intense gunfire.

A friend in Nairobi said: ‘What he did was so heroic. He was having coffee with friends when it happened.

‘He went back in 12 times and saved 100 people. Imagine going back in when you knew what was going on inside.’

Sources said the soldier was in the Royal Marine and now lives in Kenyan. He cannot be named for security reasons.

The British military regularly train and operate out of Kenya, and have been involved in tracking UK citizens involved with hardline Islamists in Somalia and Yemen.

There’s a photo of him at the link, face blurred to protect his identity. One surprisingly ambiguous detail: Was he forced to engage the jihadis with fire or was he able to do this stealthily, in parts of the mall where there were no terrorists around at the moment? The fact that they went out of their way to mention he was armed makes me think, yeah, he must have drawn on them at some point, but the Mail never explicitly says so. If they manage to track him down for an interview, they should ask if he would have gone back inside as often as he did if he wasn’t armed. Maybe he would have — he’s a Royal Marine, after all — but having some means of defense must have been a comfort. Naturally he didn’t want to end up in a gun battle with people armed with AK-47s, but if it came to that, he wasn’t a sitting duck.

One other odd detail: The ringleader of the attack might be a woman and British herself — and the widow of London bomber Germaine Lindsay to boot. I’d never heard of her until today, but a cryptic allusion by Kenya’s foreign minister to a British woman who’s engaged in terrorism “many times before” has some counterterror analysts believing that the lead suspect here is Samantha Lewthwaite. Also among the attackers, per the foreign minister, are “two or three Americans.” Over to you, FBI.

Comments

Good. Maybe we can get an answer from the thread that was abandoned earlier today, then.

Or do you think guns can only be fired to be used?

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Haha. You’re the best Roger. Really, I mean that. You might be my favorite poster here.

righty45 on September 24, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Thanks, but that has little to do with your position on gun “use”.

You’re saying actions such as Zimmerman’s are the only way guns are defensively used, right?

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Does it make a difference? I mean if the story turns out to be true this guy went back into the mall numerous times to rescue people. Knowingly or not, he risked his life many times if this is accurate regardless of the fact if he engaged terrorists or not.

I want him on my side.

Johnnyreb on September 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM

….the MSM can’t report this!

KOOLAID2 on September 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Johnnyreb on September 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Doesn’t matter for purposes of his heroism, but gun-rights fans would like to know, I’m sure, if his weapon helped protect him against the jihadis. This story is an object lesson in why gun rights are important.

Allahpundit on September 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Not in Amerikaaaa the swat teams would arrive and then told to stand down until further orders.

watertown on September 24, 2013 at 7:39 PM

To quote the anti-gun libtard trolls on this very site, when I’ve posted about the New Life Church shooting – “that’s just an anecdote”.

dentarthurdent on September 24, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I hope they arrest and convict him for having a firearm!

/Leftards

ShainS on September 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Actually Drudge has more on this story.

Seems the Marine in question approached the terrorists, pointing at the numerous “Gun Free Zone!” signs posted on doors and walls at which point the savages looked at one another in astonishment, dropped their guns and took poison. The last one to die was heard muttering just before he expired: “Damn those signs! DAMN THEM!”

Bishop on September 24, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Johnnyreb on September 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Allahpundit on September 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I’m sure we’ll hear all about this, just like the shooting in the mall in Oregon that was stopped by someone with a CCW…

Galt2009 on September 24, 2013 at 7:52 PM

The Marine was also protected by a portable “Safety Zone” he bought at the DailyKos online store. It’s looks like a hula hoop but has protective properties which keep criminals and terrorists from being able to harm you.

Bishop on September 24, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Good.

Now I want to see them fight the wild ones hard in GB.

Schadenfreude on September 24, 2013 at 7:53 PM

This story is an object lesson in why gun rights are important.

Allahpundit on September 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Maybe someone could arrange an interview with fellow countryman Pierverse Morgan?
Don’t see that happening though……
Movin along here…..

FlaMurph on September 24, 2013 at 7:54 PM

The FBI that still hasn’t started to interview the TEA Party victims of the IRS? The FBI whose then director, Robert Mueller, when called to testify before the House oversight committee on the IRS political attacks on Conservatives was seemingly barely able to state his name, he didn’t know a single thing about anything beyond that. The FBI that took, as I recall, 6~8(?) weeks to get into the Benghazi embassy? That FBI? I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for them to respond unless it’s politically convenient for Obama and the Democrats.

While there are many fine folks in the FBI, the FBI has become strictly a political tool for Obama.

RJL on September 24, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Guns don’t kill terrorists. Men with guns kill terrorists.

Guns don’t save people. Men with guns save people.

Akzed on September 24, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Bishop on September 24, 2013 at 7:52 PM

He probably got a 20% off coupon for it at Retail-Me-Not.

PatriotGal2257 on September 24, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I keep thinking about this. If the police had people at every exit how did this guy keep going in and out? Did he just waltz up to the guards and say “Hey, I’m going back in to get some more people out. You guys stay here and cover me?” And the cops just said “Yeah, Ok dude go on.”? I’m not doubting the guy did it I’m just wondering about how this all played out. Maybe he did all this before the cops got there.

Oldnuke on September 24, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Thanks, but that has little to do with your position on gun “use”.

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 7:25 PM

How?

Be specific, please.

rogerb on August 17, 2013 at 5:38 AM

righty45 on September 24, 2013 at 8:52 PM

For 2 whole days previously, the Daily Mail ran his photo unblurred, with a caption claiming the 3 people were ‘a family supporting each other in escape’. This despite the man being the only one doing any ‘supporting’ and the fact that you could clearly see the gun in his waistband. They’re not the sharpest tools in the shed at the DM.

The Thin Man Returns on September 24, 2013 at 9:08 PM

The Thin Man Returns on September 24, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I think that it’s more the rush to be the first to get breaking news like this. Of course that doesn’t explain the countless typos in the more mundane Kardashian/Miley Cyrus items though…

cynccook on September 24, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Thanks, but that has little to do with your position on gun “use”.

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 7:25 PM

How?

Be specific, please.

rogerb on August 17, 2013 at 5:38 AM

righty45 on September 24, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I think I see what you were hoping for there, but you need more practice. I have faith that you’ll eventually catch on to how to do it properly if you stick with it and improve your comprehension.

Of course, a lot of it relies on the subject’s hypocrisy since simply answering questions doesn’t require much cleverness nor expose any ideological tangles, so you’ll probably need to find someone else to practice on.

But again, good for you for trying.

Solid B+ for effort.

Regardless, you do remember our “use” conversation that you abandoned, right? It’s linked above, but would it help if I reposted it so you can find it easier in order to respond?

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Would that help?

TexasDan on January 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Would that help?

SparkPlug on April 9, 2013

would that help?

upinak on November 10, 2009

See what I mean? But again, good for you for making an effort.

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 9:35 PM

That’s nice. Solid argument as always. Thanks.

rogerb on August 17, 2013 at 7:31 AM

righty45 on September 24, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Getting closer. I’m glad you took my advice on improving comprehension of posts.

All done with your use/Zimmerman hypocrisy, btw?

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Oh, and bookmarking is cheating
less interesting
not very clever
boring.

The amusing part is googling catchphrases for a poster and seeing what comes up.

I can show you how if you need me to. Just ask.

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Getting closer.
rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I’m not entirely sure why you’d want to draw attention to my point, but thanks.

rogerb on August 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM

All done with your use/Zimmerman hypocrisy, btw?

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I believe it’s called a “straw man” when you try to attribute that sort of things to others and vigorously argue against it, but I may just know those things because of my pedantry.

rogerb on August 8, 2013 at 7:19 AM

righty45 on September 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I can show you how if you need me to. Just ask.

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM

So funny. It’s simple googling.

rogerb on June 15, 2012 at 9:28 AM

righty45 on September 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Getting colder again.

Keep practicing.

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Getting colder again.

Keep practicing.

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Neat how it works in reverse, isn’t it?

Speaking of credibility, do you care to try the yes/no part again, or would you rather reinforce your logical and well-reasoned position by calling me names after you realize what happened?

rogerb on July 26, 2013 at 6:51 AM

righty45 on September 24, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Colder.

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Colder.

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I can show you how if you need me to. Just ask.

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Dead thread, lester?

rogerb on December 4, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Dead thread. I wonder why?

rogerb on July 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Dead thread, LFOD?

rogerb on January 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Another dead thread again (and again), verbaluce?

rogerb on September 12, 2013 at 6:29 AM

A dead thread, eh segasagez?

rogerb on June 8, 2013 at 6:36 AM

So another dead thread (again), eh professor boo?

rogerb on July 5, 2013 at 8:35 PM

A dead thread already, bayam? Well done.

rogerb on September 5, 2012 at 9:55 AM

righty45 on September 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Sorry about that last part, btw.

rogerb on July 10, 2013 at 6:14 AM

righty45 on September 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM

How?

Be specific, please.

rogerb on August 17, 2013 at 5:38 AM

righty45 on September 24, 2013 at 8:52 PM

This never got answered.

Weird. Must’ve just been overlooked. Good thing the thread is still open…

rogerb on July 9, 2013 at 9:21 PM

righty45 on September 24, 2013 at 10:38 PM

This never got answered.

Weird. Must’ve just been overlooked. Good thing the thread is still open…

rogerb on July 9, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Wait, did you mean actually answering questions?

Yeah, I’m bad about doing that.

rogerb on July 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM

righty45 on September 24, 2013 at 10:40 PM

We’ll put a tick in the democrat column for wishing these people got kilt.

Murphy9 on September 24, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Off to an antique British car show. Y’all have fun. I’ll check back later.

rogerb on August 17, 2013 at 7:51 AM

righty45 on September 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I had a punk threaten me after I served him with a restraining order. He had repeatedly abused his mother and sold drugs out of her house. The order essentially kicked him out. I was waiting for him at a place I knew he would be, walked up to his car and served him. As I walked away, he realized what was up, and shouted out “You’ll be six feet under by six o’clock!”

I turned around and walked aback toward him, hooking my jacket with my thumb, putting my hand on the grip of my pistol. I said, “Let’s go right now. I have things to do this evening.”

The punk turned a couple of shades whiter and stammered, “I didn’t say anything! Nobody heard me say anything!”

I had to laugh.

novaculus on September 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM

LAFF@R45

Murphy9 on September 24, 2013 at 11:31 PM

When I heard that the hero of Nairobi was a former Royal Marine, my response was – color me unsurprised. Worked with them a lot in Afghanistan. Brave as lions and tough as rocks. Like their American counterparts, they are warriors through and through.

Too bad that men like this are outnumbered in Great Britain by wimpy metrosexual Piers Morgan types.

I want him on my side.

Johnnyreb on September 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Absolutely.

SubmarineDoc on September 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Guns don’t kill terrorists. Men with guns kill terrorists.

Guns don’t save people. Men with guns save people.

Akzed on September 24, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Bumper Sticker(s) of the Thread.

PS One of my favorite real bumper stickers: “Armed Infidel”.

AesopFan on September 25, 2013 at 12:29 AM

But….but…..Oh, never mind.

Another Drew on September 25, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Open Carry. Ban the gun free zones and do away with carry permits. They are just a tithe to the state anyway. Now they’ll probably want to make all malls gun free just to be safe.
Where was the fbi, cia, nsa, dhs, and any other alphabet created to protect our country when these terrorists were being home grown, out playing with dots?

Kissmygrits on September 25, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I have always felt that Wayne LaPierre was a loathesome excuse of a human being. But I will always give credit where I feel it is due.

When he said the following, he was dead right:

The best defense against a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

Or whatever he said to that effect.

thejackal on September 25, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Those bastids aren’t American
They’re just Somoli trash who l@^@k
like “sons of Obama”, in reality tho,
they were imported to vote Democrat,
and murder Americans. . .

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on September 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Any bets on whether or not this guy was working for British intelligence and that’s why he was in Kenya?

strictnein on September 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM

righty45 on September 24, 2013 at __:__ PM

Colder.

It’s generally poor form to complain about a dead thread immediately after the accused’s response (@ 10:33 after my 10:22). See where the problem is there?

An actual unanswered question is required as well. Something like:

rogerb on September 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Also, one should consider waiting a bit longer than twelve minutes. A solid B+ (ha, get it?) for your enthusiasm, but patience, grasshopper. Your goal is to diminish the other person’s credibility in the eyes of other readers.

I’d written more. While it was mostly helpful hows and whys on linking your source quote/threads and tips on true dead-thread VICTORY!!! comedy (style points for multiple click-throughs) (style points, get it?), I realized it was cruel after what you’ve done to yourself here.

I will give one last, and extremely important, tip, though: Diamonds aren’t valuable because you can pick one up everywhere you look. Post for effectiveness, not inundation.

Your out is to claim you were posting drunk so everyone nods and laughs and says something like, “Haha, oh man, yeah, I’ve been there, too. Bishop!”

Otherwise it means you were genuinely trying and this thread is the culmination of your effort.

You’re a lawyer, right?

rogerb on September 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

righty45 on September 24, 2013 at __:__ PM

rogerb on September 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I’ve got to get back to work, but I need to apologize for any role I played in you putting yourself in this position.

It has bothered me enough that I’m going to start agreeing with you when I see you’ve posted just so you know what it feels like to have someone say “That righty45 sure is a clever guy, and he’s 100% and absolutely dead-on in his understanding and application of that topic.”

And I need to say I’m sorry for laughing at, and intentionally making people laugh at, your posts and positions in the past. Seeing how hard you’ve tried in this thread changed that part of me.

I apologize, and you’ve got a friend in me from here on out. It will probably be confusing for a lot of other posters, but we can just link them to this thread so they’ll understand.

rogerb on September 25, 2013 at 2:42 PM