Wallace: Top Republicans sending me oppo research on Cruz

posted at 8:41 am on September 23, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Chris Wallace offered viewers a real Washington whodunit yesterday on Fox News Sunday. Wallace told viewers that Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) has so angered some of his fellow Republicans with his strategy and public statements on defunding ObamaCare that “top Republicans” rushed to offer him “unsolicited research and questions” for his interview with Cruz that morning.  Panelist Karl Rove argued that Cruz’ colleagues see him as grandstanding rather than attempting to build a real united front, which has infuriated Cruz’ colleagues in the Senate as well as the House:

“This has been one of the strangest weeks I’ve ever had in Washington,” Wallace said. “As soon as we listed Ted Cruz as our featured guest this week, I got unsolicited research and questions, not from Democrats but from top Republicans, to hammer Cruz.”

“This was a strategy laid out by Mike Lee (R-UT) and Ted Cruz without any consultation with their colleagues,” said Karl Rove. “With all due respect to my junior Senator from Texas, I suspect this is the first time that the end game was described to any Republican Senator. They had to tune in to listen to you to find out what Ted’s next step was in the strategy.”

“You cannot build a Congressional majority, in either party, for any kind of action, unless you are treating your colleagues with some certain amount of respect, and saying, ‘Hey, what do you think of my idea?’” Rove said. “Instead they have dictated to their colleagues through the media, and through public statements, and not consulted them about this strategy at all.”

Sarah Palin demanded that Wallace identify his sources, but that won’t happen, and it’s almost silly to ask it. Why would he burn his sources on something this nonsensical? We could take a poll of Republican officeholders on Capitol Hill to try to solve this whodunit, which we could call 279 Little GOPians, but it might take a long time to get to the point where there are none.

Mitch McConnell’s team says make that 278:

Jesse Benton, the campaign manager for Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell’s re-election campaign, told Breitbart News on Sunday that “of course not,” neither McConnell, nor anyone on his Senate staff or campaign staff, shopped any opposition research on Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) to any members of the media, including Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace.

“Senator Cruz is a friend and valued member of the Republican caucus,” Benton added in an email.

Perhaps McConnell might be best advised to call a team huddle at this point and get everyone settled down, if not pointed in the right direction.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Chris will be super popular and be invited to all the parties this fall, which is all they really care about.

lonestar1 on September 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Wallace: Top Republicans Progressives hiding behind their republican masks sending me oppo research on Cruz.

Those _______________________________________ and then they can _____________________________________ but if they don’t like that they can go _______ and then climb up my ____________ and eat _______________ and when they’re done with ObamaCare and Amnesty the filthy _____________ can ______________.

I’m tired of calling, I’m tired of emailing, I’m tired of telling others to do it. But…………..I’m going to keep doing it because there is NO ALTERNATIVE.

PappyD61 on September 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Panelist Karl Rove argued that Cruz’ colleagues see him as grandstanding rather than attempting to build a real united front…

I loathe, with the heat of a thousand suns, the gop establishment.

PappyD61 on September 23, 2013 at 2:05 PM

It apparently never occurs to the GOP elite to actually LISTEN to Cruz and the other tea party types. Rove wants Cruz to ask permission of the party to do what the electorate hired him to do. I agree with PappyD61, I loath them too.

415woman1 on September 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Another reason (as if I needed any) to NEVER donate to the RNC or any other national Republican organization.

Fafhrd on September 23, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Ever heard of a rhetorical question Ed? Its kind of like the question I just asked. I don’t expect an answer, but I make a point by just asking it.

KMav on September 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I agree, Screw the republican establishment. I voted for McCain and Romney. I will not vote for a stinking RINO again.

birdwatcher on September 23, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Agreed. No more RINOs. Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, or Sarah Palin in 2016 or I stay home.

Colony14 on September 23, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I’d bet that McCain was one of them.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on September 23, 2013 at 4:15 PM

A vote to fund ObamaCare is a vote for a THIRD PARTY!!

Make my day Repubelicans!!

Even the Conservative Slaves are beginning to unplug themselves from the establishment Matrix.

Better to be in an ineffecutal third party that at least FIGHTS …

Than to be in an impotent one that does nothing but whimper all the galdang time!

HondaV65 on September 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM

HondaV65 on September 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM

You’d just love a third party to split Republicans, wouldn’t you Obama voter?

slickwillie2001 on September 23, 2013 at 5:03 PM

“Rove said. “Instead they have dictated to their colleagues through the media, and through public statements, and not consulted them about this strategy at all.”’

I seem to remember Reagan using this “go directly to the people” strategy rather than back-room deals. Worked well for him generally.

Of course, he had the advantage of a party that would line up with him as momentum swung his way, rather than constantly having to fight his own party leadership as well…

cs89 on September 23, 2013 at 6:15 PM

You’d just love a third party to split Republicans, wouldn’t you Obama voter?

slickwillie2001 on September 23, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Naaaaaaaw, let’s just surrender and/or do nothing like the liberal/east coast (King, McLame, Rove) republicans are doing now..er…have been doing for the last 40 years……

colonelkurtz on September 23, 2013 at 6:42 PM

You’d just love a third party to split Republicans, wouldn’t you Obama voter?

slickwillie2001 on September 23, 2013 at 5:03 PM

colonelkurtz on September 23, 2013 at 6:42 PM

If you want to make that point, you can try and make it, but little Honda is an Obama-worshipping democratic that tries to make the case for a third-party so democratics will win more elections.

slickwillie2001 on September 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Wallace: Top Republicans sending me oppo research on Cruz

…tell us who… or shut up!

KOOLAID2 on September 23, 2013 at 11:17 PM