Former NFL star threatened with lawsuit from parents of kids who trashed his house?

posted at 8:08 pm on September 20, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Surely, this can’t be right, right? I mean, I know we talk about the decline of Western Civilization and basic decency, but this? Former Pro Bowler Brian Holloway was staying at his primary residence in Florida when an estimated 300 teenagers crashed his house in New York and held a giant party. Teens being forward-looking and responsible, they naturally documented their destruction of his pad— estimated at $20,000 of graffiti, damaged floors, and stolen property— in photos, videos, tweets, and Facebook posts.

Holloway responded by publicizing some of the photos and publicly pleading with parents and teens to remedy the situation. His website www.helpmesave300.com expresses concern about the teens’ drinking, drug use, and criminal behavior and a desire to prevent kids from “get[ting] off track” and hold them accountable for their actions.

The response from parents of the kids involved, according to Holloway?

But rather than apologize to Holloway for their children’s behavior, some parents have contacted their lawyers to see what legal action they can take against the former Patriots and Raiders offensive lineman, local affiliate ABC News 10 reported.

“Parents have threatened me,” Holloway, a three-time Pro Bowler and Super Bowl XX veteran, told ABC News. “Your kids are in my house breaking and stealing my stuff and you are mad at me because I posted pictures that they took and posted themselves of them partying and tearing things up?”

Now, that’s disturbing on its own, but maybe it’s just one or two crazy, litigious parents, I thought to myself. The rest of them are probably lining up to repay Holloway and have their kids clean up the mess. This part is devastating:

The former grid iron star is holding a picnic for veterans at the home on Saturday, and invited the rowdy teens and their parents to help him clean the house.

“Come out and help set up, fix up, bring food, and picnic stuff, so we can honor these real HEROS,” he wrote on his website. “I’m here. Come now. Take a stand for your future. This is called redemption.”

Holloway says one parent showed up. ONE! My parents would have had my butt over there so fast, long before Holloway publicly asked for help, and probably my brothers, too, in case they had any ideas of pulling a similar stunt. Teenagers do stupid things. Acting in groups of 300, those things can be so stupid that they veer into destructive and criminal. Even when the initial act is pretty terrible, it’s hard for me to imagine that 300 teenagers and their parents are so shameless as to eschew a chance to make amends. But that’s what we have, along with possible lawsuits.

If there’s some saving grace, it’s that the eagle sculpture stolen from the house, which was part of a tribute to Holloway’s stillborn son has apparently been returned. But, really, that’s a pretty low bar for something calling itself a civilization.

And, this isn’t the only way our litigious society is keeping kids from learning responsibility. Mollie Hemingway pens a great piece today on “what your neighborhood list-serv tells you about America’s demise.” I come from a neighborhood with one of these list-servs, seemingly full of naught but busybodies and those who sit in politically correct judgment of their neighbors offering constant, critical commentary on things you had naively thought were non-controversial. In my neighborhood, someone innocently announced there’d be hay and pony rides at a neighborhood fall festival, to which the obvious response was a lengthy exchange on whether that was humane for the horses.

In Mollie’s neighborhood, it was lawn-mowing by minors that was at issue, for safety reasons. The e-mail exchange in question:

“We just had a group of adorable and entrepreneurial kids (young, maybe 9-11 years old) offer to mow our grass. Not to be Scrooges in the neighborhood, but what is the general consensus on this around [the neighborhood] re: safety? They looked pretty young, and we didn’t see a parent with them supervising. I realize kids want to earn spending money, but I was interested in getting the pulse on this sort of thing. Teenagers, maybe. But these kids looked like they may be older elementary school aged (guess). We had a family member lose a couple of toes mowing while a young kid, so maybe I’m just overly sensitive.”

The next email read, “For anyone whose interested, the [American Academy of Pediatrics] recommends that children be at least 12 years old before operating a push mower and 16 for a ride-on mower, along with a list of safety precautions. Just FYI.”

A link was provided to a page on the AAP web site headlined “Mowing the Lawn Can Be a Dangerous Chore.” Injury prevention tips there include: “Have anyone who uses a mower or is in the vicinity wear polycarbonate protective eyewear at all times.”

I repeat. One tip was that everyone in the vicinity of a lawn mower should be wearing polycarbonate protective eyewear at all times.

Read the whole thing. My favorite line:

Safety isn’t even a virtue. If you’re teaching your kids more about safety than you are about honesty, kindness, respect for others, responsibility, gratitude, integrity, cooperation, determination, social skills, enthusiasm, compassion and manners, you’re doing it wrong.

Would that the kids in Holloway’s house had learned to mow their neighbor’s lawns instead of crapping on them and suing them for the privilege.

Comments

Sad thing is we know how this will end…with parents suing the player and others for bad mouthing their kids.

nextgen_repub on September 19, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Yup…saw that coming!

As a kid, a couple friends and I egged a classmates house; our parents forced us over there and we spent the whole day cleaning and doing yard work for them. And this was in 1997…my how quick things change.

nextgen_repub on September 20, 2013 at 8:15 PM

All the kids that trashed his house will be future democrats.
Sounds like the parents are already democrats.
Idiots breed idiots……

My son was a hell raiser since he was 13. He is 17 now and attending a rigid structure Christian boys school. This dad ain’t raising no democrat. And if my son was at that party – trashing the house,
I would have driven him back there to clean up, and make the house better than it was.

redguy on September 20, 2013 at 8:16 PM

When I was 10 I made ALL of my spending money mowing lawns. I guess Mom and Dad were just criminal for teaching me self-reliance!

Old Dog on September 20, 2013 at 8:16 PM

…it’s to a point…it’s not unbelievable anymore!

KOOLAID2 on September 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM

The parents who are threatening to sue are not merely bad parents. They are morons. As are their lawyers.

Basilsbest on September 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM

It’s not surprising at all that kids who would do this have a-hole parents.

Mark1971 on September 20, 2013 at 8:25 PM

…it’s to a point…it’s not unbelievable anymore!

KOOLAID2 on September 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM

*sigh*
Sad but true.

bazil9 on September 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I was 8 yrs old helping in the woods getting firewood out for heat. I could not run chainsaw but I could delimb with a hatchet and drive the second truck out of the woods.

what a bunch of pussified wimps this country has generated.

they would have a fit to see friends horse farm about 1/4 mile away where we actually have people *GASP* riding horses and towing carts.

dmacleo on September 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM

*sigh* good is called evil and evil is called good.

22044 on September 20, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Total lack of responsibility on the part of the parents–wait’ll some of their kids do it to their own house. If their lawyers are smart they’ll advise against any action. Besides, aren’t their names already on the public record that is Twitter? And Facebook? And, oh yeah I forgot–the NSA?

stukinIL4now on September 20, 2013 at 8:36 PM

He gave them a chance… now its time to make it criminal.
Probation at the very least. Those ruining as with the ones standing by recording it some time in the pen.
Those there not going to jail, many hours of community service. I mean a lot… not just a few hours, but many many hours. Also toss in that they have to work more hours in the summer so it can ruin the vacation time too.

Another thing…

For sure, mine would have done the same thing in a heartbeat. I would not even be able to sit down cuz my backside would have bruised.

You wonder why this country is going into the shi$$er? Here is a prime example why.

watertown on September 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Society as a whole has become a nation of gimme gimmes’…who take and take…

Bring back the paddle and cane, and smacking a kid on the arse for being so bad…

Bring back the 10 Commandments…

Never mind, not gonna happen…

Le Sigh

Scrumpy on September 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM

What a lovely man Mr. Holloway is! It is extremely gracious of him to give these kids a non legal way out of the cost of their behavior. I realize kids do dumb things all the time but they must have known that their parents would justify this behavior or it wouldn’t have happened in the first place. These parents will be sorry one day because these kids have their number and will continue to take advantage .

Cindy Munford on September 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM

All he has to do is file a complaint and press charges. With all of the self incriminating evidence provided by the perps themselves. No lawsuit filed by the parents of any of these hooligans is going to get past the discovery stage.

And, any lawyer that advised one of these parents the could sue, is an idiot.

PakviRoti on September 20, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Obviously, more spending for education is indicated.

*gigantic eyeroll*

98ZJUSMC on September 20, 2013 at 8:44 PM

It would have never occurred to me to do this to a neighbors house as a kid. The beat down waiting for me at home would have been epic.

Buy guns, ammo, gold, and food, then hunker down. This will only get worse.

goflyers on September 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Swear out warrants for the arrest of every single kid there and Sue every parent, especially those who threatened to Sue him!

easyt65 on September 20, 2013 at 8:50 PM

In any decent society the parents and kids responsible would be placed in the stocks in the town square so the decent townsfolk could pelt them with rotten vegetables.

alchemist19 on September 20, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Old Dog on September 20, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Yeah, I was brought up by the same sort of dangerous, uncaring criminals, who actually required me to earn my spending money, most of which came from mowing lawns (sans goggles, BTW, and in tennis shoes, no protective steel-toed boots). Had to even buy my own gas for the mower out of my earnings, those hateful people who called themselves my parents.

They so ruined me that when I grew up and saw some considerable success, I got back at them, big time. Paid off their mortgages and made sure that their lawns and landscaping was always maintained, impeccably.

TXUS on September 20, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Yeah, saw this coming.

I’ll spare the painful, expensive details… But I painstakingly chronicled the public tweets, FB posts and other public activities of a local HS girls coach. He was posting overtly sexual things (X-rated), asking girls for nudes, tweeting players during school hours (as young as 13) and after midnight and threatening to “blow sh-t up!”…

I presented my materials (screen caps, including full pages) to the school (coaches, AD, principal, campus cop) and to the highest levels of the district. After coming after me with false charges from the police, they told the paper “how do we know he didn’t photoshop them?” The campus cop told me he wasn’t interested in “moral or ethical” issues and as far as he could tell the coach wasn’t doing anything “illegal”. Of course, the bully kept asking me if I was “threatening” him every time I told him I couldn’t believe he was defending the ass. “Are you threatening me? Are you threatening me!”

To this day they refuse to acknowledge they did anything wrong. He resigned only after the district knew the story was going to hit the paper. They took no other action against him, but went after me in court. It cost me thousands to defend myself.

mankai on September 20, 2013 at 9:06 PM

These parents that are suing see that he is a former NFL player and think they’ve found an easy money tap. And they don’t give a flying fig about what their little Johnnys are doing.

Bitter Clinger on September 20, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Obama’s America. Trash all around.

MNHawk on September 20, 2013 at 9:11 PM

IF their kids are asses, guess what the parents are.

GarandFan on September 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM

c’mon folks, go easy already… after all, it’s for the children

/s

PermanentWaves on September 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Something I intend to tell my kids:
If you are accused of wrong-doing there are three options. If you did not do it, I will back you. If you did it and you admit it to me, I will help you make it right. If you did it and I find that you lied to me, you will take what you get.

Count to 10 on September 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM

alchemist19 on September 20, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Geez your comments are moronic.

smoothsailing on September 20, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Why do I suspect that the DA will get involved BIG TIME the minute Hollaway decides to press charges?

Pictures opf people performing a criminal act are very easy cases to win. A DA can rack up a major record with 300+ convictions!

Freddy on September 20, 2013 at 9:41 PM

mankai on September 20, 2013 at 9:06 PM

You still won. Victory in doing the hard right thing just doesn’t always feel like you’ve won.

Bravo.

smoothsailing on September 20, 2013 at 9:45 PM

The ultimate liberal-caused conundrum of predators suing the victims they attack. It’s as if a mad dog sued its victim because he broke a tooth.

MaiDee on September 20, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Takers.

Paul-Cincy on September 20, 2013 at 9:54 PM

He’s an idiot if he thinks he can “save” these narcissistic kids. Sue them and their scumbag parents for damages. Go to the mattresses!

Ward Cleaver on September 20, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Tweets have consequences. And those 300 future Organizing For America volunteers forfeited any right to privacy when they disclose law-breaking acts to the world.

Good luck to the derpy “parents” of these parasites in finding some scum-sucking lawyer to gold-dig after Mr. Holloway. That it even has to go to court in order to be thrown out is inexcusable.

Gloria Allred, where the hell are you?

Myron Falwell on September 20, 2013 at 10:01 PM

smoothsailing on September 20, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I agree. The correct way would be a public flogging.

OldEnglish on September 20, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Ward Cleaver on September 20, 2013 at 9:59 PM

All you’ll find in those mattresses are nothing but a crapload of bedbugs.

Myron Falwell on September 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM

smoothsailing on September 20, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Thanks.

mankai on September 20, 2013 at 10:08 PM

File criminal charges.
Sue the parents who say they want to sue him.
Arrange for a big “blowout party” at the house of each and every parent who says anything about suing him.

dentarthurdent on September 20, 2013 at 10:11 PM

He gave them a chance… now its time to make it criminal.

And then follow up with a civil suit for damages and mental anguish.

At least now we know how the little teenage barbarians came to be that way.

Socratease on September 20, 2013 at 10:19 PM

“A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, friendly, helpful, kind, courteous, obedient, cheerful thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.”

Too bad there won’t be so many of them after a few years.

AesopFan on September 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Buy guns, ammo, gold, and food, then hunker down. This will only get worse.

goflyers on September 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Me neither. I’m getting chills just thinking of the beat down if I would have pulled that stunt, too.

Yep, it is only going to get worse because these little demons are going to breed eventually.

kim roy on September 20, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Holloway should sue the parents of all the kids who were there (since they are likely minors). Then he should take what ever damages he is awarded and put them into a college fund for any kid that comes around and proves they have redeemed them-self.

eski502 on September 20, 2013 at 10:41 PM

At the age of 19, back in ’69, I was in a car on the Mass Pike coming back from the Newport Jazz/Folk festival with four other buddies. Traffic was slow and construction on the Pike was ongoing so there were these bright orange traffic cones that were so tempting to take. So I took. My buddies were ticked off and thought I was nuts for doing so, and they made me toss it back on the highway.

Two weeks later, a phone call from Mass. State Police to my parents and the parents of the driver’s car had us going up to the closest State Police barracks in Sturbridge. The construction company had a driver (unbeknownst to us) driving the Pike looking for jerks like me I guess. Whatever the reason he was driving, he took down the license plate and tracked us down to pay some sort of restitution.

Of the five guys in the car, three of us went up one Saturday morning to sort and stack ‘H’ beams that were used by the highway dept. as the posts for guard rails on the shoulders. A ’60s version of making little rocks from big ones. I was, as you can imagine, the recipient of a lot of animosity from my buddies for putting them in this pickle. There was no way on God’s green earth that my parents would not let me duck the punishment.

So we worked the day to “pay” our fine and went home none the worse for the wear. Not long after, I realized that of the five in the car, the three of us who owned up to it were Jewish and the two others ducked the punishment weren’t. I never heard, or don’t remember, why the other two guys didn’t join us, but I find it interesting in some way.

Values keep coming back to me when I think about the event. It seems that the parents of the kids in question either have none or have lost whatever values they once had. It is simple. If their kids participated, there should be some sort of remorse and repayment to Mr. Holloway. End of story. For them to sue is preposterous.

Grantman on September 20, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Post the photos! All of them! Start a web site:

Khun Joe on September 20, 2013 at 11:02 PM

This event has all the earmarks of an Occupy Wall Street rally: vandalizing private property, theft, drug/alcohol use, other major and minor criminal activity. Oh,and let’s not forget, posting it all on social media like a bunch of five-year olds showing their parents their first attempt at water coloring. The parents are so proud of their little ‘tikes’ work that, anyone who criticizes it must be a monster made to pay.

To the parents who are considering suing Mr. Holloway, your kid’s artwork sucks and so do you.

c3ichief on September 20, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Had a couple of friends who could never see that their little darlings were basically thugs — and the parents were actually good, decent, law-abiding, church-going, community-minded, etc etc — just had huge blinkers on, and it was impossible to explain to them how they were enabling their boys’ thuggery because they thought their own behavior was “supportive and non-judgmental”.

One of the teens ended up robbing a restaurant at gunpoint; the other was just a total jerk but never did anything criminal.

Both of them finally pulled themselves together and shaped up.

It doesn’t sound like the 300-1 have much hope of that.

AesopFan on September 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Punks. And their kids.

Kenosha Kid on September 20, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Bring back firing squads!

John the Libertarian on September 21, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Yep. My parents were made from the same mold.

Shame is the passenger of Common Sense’s Sunday drive down the road of extinction.

If any parent should sue him, Mr. Holloway should return the favor and sue for the damages to his home.

Quite willingly, my brothers and I all started mowing lawns around the age of 10 in our neighborhood. We earned $5 a yard for mowing and weed eating by hand. Somehow, all of us managed to survive this terrible ordeal.

The busybodies should direct their obsessive hand wringing towards their own bodies and quit fretting about everyone else.

rukiddingme on September 21, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Every one of those little ****s need to go prison as far as I am concerned. And their parents to.

chrisbg99 on September 21, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Typical Dhimmicrats.

I hate lawyers as much as the next guy. But can they really be that “stupid”?

What if your kid was at the “party” but you claim he did not destroy anything, take a dump on anything, nor use drugs/booze. But he is pictured (in the background) of some of the pix during the mayhem. Could you say the baller somehow made your innocent kid seem “guilty” by making the incident more high vis?

Is the lawyer still “stupid” if his client gets some cash out of the baller?

Jus sayin

SwabJockey on September 21, 2013 at 6:18 AM

It’s the old “my little baby could NEVER do something like this” while I show them the incontrovertible evidence that their little douche bag did.

If I had done something like that when I was a teenager, I wouldn’t have been at the party put on by this gentleman either. My from the old country Irish father would have already cut me up and buried the parts in the four corners of the realm. And my just as old school Irish mother would have helped him.

No consequences. No responsibility. Results in the little darlings no give a rat’s patootie what they do.

NavyMustang on September 21, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Funny Brian Holloway talking redemption. When he was traded to the raiders, first thing he did was give them New Englands playbook. a big no no in the game.don’t think to this day he said sorry. Karma may take a while but as this proves it is expensive

ceannrua on September 21, 2013 at 7:49 AM

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 21, 2013 at 8:01 AM

IMO he should have gone directly to the courts. Once the parents – who apparently don’t routinely having much control over their kids – realized that they were facing legal consequences for the actions of their minor children, both sides could have moved to how it could be handled without court imposed actions.

katiejane on September 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM

What I see are juvenile delinquents performing criminal acts for which they should be punished.

What I see are wasted youth who are products of their parents lack of wisdom, sound guidance and good advice.

What I see are mostly kids who will probably never become productive, contributive members of our society. Another generation of takers who will blame everyone else for their behavior, dearth of accomplishment, personal situation and lack of a comfortable existence.

Then you have Mr. Holloway who is a better man than I, but somewhat misguided in his cause. Because making those responsible take responsibility for what they’ve done, would probably be the only time in their short, miserable lives they were held accountable for anything.

Notice the response to his generous gesture from parents? Threats of lawsuits and further protection of outrageous, inexcusable criminal behavior. Few if, none show up to be accountable? I’m a little unclear on their defense.

The perpetrators and their parents who do not take responsibility disgust me. You are the epitome of everything wrong with our society.

Marcus Traianus on September 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Neither my parents nor my older brothers would have gone… Because there is no way my a$$ would have been there in the first place.

One of the biggest reasons I never did that kind of stuff or messed with drugs, etc., was because I couldn’t handle the shame it would bring my family. “What’re you, some kind of idiot?” is a very effective Italian-American phrase that kept a lot of us from even considering doing stupid, shameful things. I couldn’t handle the thought of what it would do to my mother.

These kids and parents have no shame.

mankai on September 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Count to 10 on September 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Words to live by.

Cindy Munford on September 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM

He should’ve started suing the parents instead of trying to warn them and their brats. He can still counter-sue which will probably keep them at bay.

Karmi on September 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM

COME ON PEOPLE!!!Don’t you all understand that by publicly exposing these little kids as destructive and evil, that it could damage their little psyche’s and could lead to a life of depression and needing drugs from the government to help them all cope just because the selfishness of a RICH ex-football thug who really didn’t earn that money, and after all, he had another place to stay.

I can’t believe you all siding with the rich thuggish brute that just wants to damage our children with such a public exposure.

/s

Ok, I must now go throw up.
Feels like I need a shower.

44Magnum on September 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Side note: I wear “polycarbonate protective eyewear” all the time when I’m out mowing the lawn…it’s called sunglasses, but I live in the Sunshine State (Florida), so maybe I’m the exception? LOL

1. Regarding Mr. Holloway; this guy deserves some sort of award for seeing past his loss and concentrating on the potential/future of those (awful, spoiled, inconsiderate, irresponsible, thoughtless, & CRIMINAL) children. I seriously doubt I could react the same way, and I feel slightly ashamed of it to be honest.

2. If my children had been involved, (a) they would have been delivered into Mr. Holloway’s hands to be used in cleaning up his property within an hour of my finding out, (b) would have been doing an additional 100 hours of work for Mr. Holloway doing *additional* chores and helping out with anything he needed, (c) all extracurricular activities would have been immediately canceled, (d) would be grounded for one year, & (e) any and all electronic devices would be in my possession with the exception of their phone for emergency calls only (no digital plan). I would be donating to his fund, or any charity of his choice, and me and the wife would be right there beside our kids working to clean his place up and make it better than it was.

3. I think that I saw the problem in one of the very first pictures of those kids’ tweets, “so glad my parents don’t give a f*** what I do”. Beyond how sad that is, it looks to be more common than I would have thought. I pray that I’ve raised my kids to be better than that, and that they KNOW I love and care about them and expect better than this from them…I think I’ll be showing them that website to provide an example of what is absolutely unacceptable.

Geministorm on September 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Forgot to mention, if I had participated in this as a kid, my father would have knocked my stupid a$$ out, and I mean that literally. After I came to, he would have taken my college money and given it to Mr. Holloway in addition to making me clean that house top to bottom and giving Mr. Holloway free labor for until I was 18.

It was only after I became a father myself that I came understand how great my parents really were. I’m so grateful to my parents for giving me the discipline I so desperately needed.

Geministorm on September 21, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Silly Brian. You’re trying to show grace to people who will never, ever, have it because they haven’t been shown the consequences for their actions. You are wasting your time.

If you REALLY want to help these kids, you’ll work with the cops and have as many of them charged with felonies as possible. THEN maybe they’ll listen to your offer of leniency. Mug shots and fingerprints have a funny way of doing that to people.

Darin on September 21, 2013 at 3:09 PM

chrisbg99 on September 21, 2013 at 2:30 AM

too.

thejackal on September 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM

These perfect kids have never heard the word “NO” said to them. Where’s the law on these little criminals?

mixplix on September 22, 2013 at 7:59 PM