Video: Rick Perry and Martin O’Malley throw down on Texas v. Maryland

posted at 2:01 pm on September 19, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Texas Gov. Rick Perry has a running campaign going to attract companies and jobs to his state’s low-tax, pro-growth business environment, and he turned his attention to Maryland last week with radio and television ads suggesting to Maryland residents that, “when you grow tired of Maryland taxes squeezing every dime out of your business, think Texas, where we’ve created more jobs than all the other states combined.” Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley was neither pleased nor impressed by this display of Texas gumption, insisting that “the gentleman is all hat and no cattle” in defense of his own economic track record.

CNN got the two rumoredly potential presidential contenders together on Crossfire last night to duke out the respective economic merits of their states; Perry may have succumbed to a few of the verbal stumbles to which he is wont, but he and Gingrich together gave O’Malley a pretty thorough going-over to which I’m not convinced O’Malley adequately rejoined. There’s a fuller transcript at RCP:

GINGRICH: Let me ask — let me ask you this. As an objective fact, in the five years you’ve been governor, Texas has gained 440,000 people. According to the U.S. Census, Maryland has lost 20,000.

Now, if we’re having all this upward trajectory, why is Texas doing 22 times better in population migration over the last five years than Maryland?

O’MALLEY: Actually, you need to check your facts. We’ve actually added 230,000 people. And we’ve actually grown by 4 percent. But that fact is dubiously put out by some blogs…

GINGRICH: This is the U.S. Census.

CUTTER: And I think the other issue is that the number of people coming to Texas, those are lot of low-wage workers looking for jobs, and that’s where they’re finding them, in Texas.

PERRY: Again, you’re absolutely incorrect on that. Look, how do you — how do you justify, how do you stand there and say that you’ve got all these low-wage workers that are coming to Texas when Facebook, eBay, all of the technology companies, Apple — you’ve got, again, Caterpillar, Toyota — major manufacturers that are coming into the state of Texas?

Martin’s state lost 4,700 jobs in July. That’s the fact. You lost 4,700 jobs in July. Texas created 18,200. So this idea that, I mean, there’s some real…

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I recall this slamming of Texas vs Wisconsin during the Scott Walker deal up there and the teacher’s unions were making claims similar to O’Malley’s…

Dave Burge was never challenged that I recall.

DanMan on September 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM

dentarthurdent on September 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM

are you talking about the incident at the starbucks in san antonio? there was a woman who called the police and complained. the cops didnt just see a gun in the open and start harassing the guy. and according to the law open carry of unloaded weapons is allowed unless someone feels threatened. so dont blame the cops, blame the the woman who complained. they were doing there job and may not have liked having to do that part.

chasdal on September 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM

From what I’ve seen in the news of Texas cops harrassing and arresting people for perfectly legal open carry, I can’t help but wonder just how “gun friendly” Texas really is….
dentarthurdent on September 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM

We have concealed carry, not open carry.

lonestar1 on September 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I would think they should want the companies to move to Texas and hire Texans to do the work. Leave the libtard worker-bees who keep voting in people like O’Malley where they are.

dentarthurdent on September 19, 2013 at 2:30 PM

There aren’t enough Texans to fill all the job openings. People are moving there in droves yet their unemployment rate stays below the national avg.

jdpaz on September 19, 2013 at 5:10 PM

chasdal on September 19, 2013 at 5:02 P

M
No, I was mainly talking about the Ft Hood soldier in Killeen.
After finding the video of that incident, and learning that Texas is in fact NOT an open carry state, I no longer see a problem with the cops in that particular incident.

HA has been a very educational experience today.

dentarthurdent on September 19, 2013 at 5:11 PM

We have concealed carry, not open carry.

lonestar1 on September 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Ya – there have been a lot of comments about that on page 1.

dentarthurdent on September 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Ya – there have been a lot of comments about that on page 1.
dentarthurdent on September 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Sorry, I only read the comments that seemed interesting.

lonestar1 on September 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Coincidently it was the shooting near Ft. Hood in the Luby’s in Killeen that ushered in concealed carry, Not that long ago.

DanMan on September 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM

DanMan on September 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I didn’t realize/remember that Luby’s shooting was in Killeen.
It does possibly explain why the Killeen cops may be a bit more concerned about people walking around with open carry weapons.

dentarthurdent on September 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Terp Mole on September 19, 2013 at 4:38 PM

The U.S. Department of Education released four-year high school graduation rates for the 2010-2011 school year:

All Students:
Maryland… 83%
Texas… 86%

Children w/Learning Dis:
Maryland… 57%
Texas… 77%

Children w/Limited English:
Maryland… 54%
Texas… 58%

Children Economically Dis:
Maryland… 74%
Texas… 84%

Looks like Texas beats significantly in every category.

slickwillie2001 on September 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM

We have concealed carry, not open carry.

lonestar1 on September 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM

we can open carry an unloaded weapon.

chasdal on September 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM

DanMan on September 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM

the luby’s shooting was in 1991, which to me is quite some time ago! ann richards being opposed to concealed carry laws is the major reason she lost to W in 94

chasdal on September 19, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Somebody needs to kick O’Malley right in the keister. Might as well be Perry. Now if CNN could just get Obama to square off with Perry and Gingrich, I would pay to see that one! He REALLY needs his butt handed to him.

Signed,

Disgruntled Maryland Resident

NavyMustang on September 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I would shift your Presidents stat more in favor of Texas.
W may have been born in Connecticut, but he spent most of his life in Texas, all of his school years were in Texas, and was Governor of Texas.
I’d say that qualifies him as a Texan.

He11 – if it was me you were talking about (not that I’d ever be President), I was born in Alaska, but have never lived there (beyond 9 months old) – so I don’t consider myself an Alaskan.

dentarthurdent on September 19, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Using this criteria, you gotta move Eisenhower to Kansas, then.

cptacek on September 19, 2013 at 7:33 PM

redguy on September 19, 2013 at 2:34 PM

There is no comparison between so many states, but, God bless Texas…I was born and raised in the land of a strong economy under Gov. Reagan. Alas, we have been taken over by…are all you HA folks ready??? REFUGEES!!! From all over the U.S. And I don’t like or appreciate any of them…I can barely recognize folks now-a-days…have a great day.

We really do need CHANGE!

OldWeaselKeeper on September 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Nothing to see here! Rick Perry is a low-life Socialist Amnesty loving tool!

So sayeth Willard RomneyCare and the GOP Ayatollahs!!

HondaV65 on September 19, 2013 at 8:22 PM

All Students:
Maryland… 83%
Texas… 86%

Children w/Learning Dis:
Maryland… 57%
Texas… 77%

Children w/Limited English:
Maryland… 54%
Texas… 58%

Children Economically Dis:
Maryland… 74%
Texas… 84%

Looks like Texas beats significantly in every category.

slickwillie2001 on September 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Not only that –
Texas has 4.9 million students in K-12 with a pupil/teacher ratio of 14.73

Maryland in contrast has 852,000 students in K-12 with a pupil/teacher ratio of 14.59

So Texas has over 5 times as many students and still has a higher graduation rate.

redguy on September 19, 2013 at 8:38 PM

True story-

Fells Point MD, when he was mayor.

He couldn’t even stand up. He was covered in his own vomit. From his chin to his feet.

Wasted. Crawling down the sidewalk. Calling women names. The really bad ones. I was there 5 feet away. Saw it with my own eyes.

Fact.

wolly4321 on September 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM

For once, Rick Perry did a good job. By the way, Newt Gingrich is useless on the show. He is such a meek mouse. Where is fighter Newt?

bluegill on September 19, 2013 at 9:21 PM

True story-

Fells Point MD, when he was mayor.

Fact.

wolly4321 on September 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Sounds like one of the many stories about Teddie Kennedy. He spend many a night with his face in his own puke.

slickwillie2001 on September 19, 2013 at 10:40 PM

What a foul disgusting human being cutter is. This is the one that was making dishonest campaign commercials about Romney, saying she didn’t know anything about the people in the commercials despite there being recordings of her talking to them about what they should say. She is an obama henchman. She is a disgusting, un-American fascist foot soldier and I don’t think anything is gained by conservatives allowing her to ask dishonest questions and make faces during their answers. I won’t wish anything bad on this woman,but I think God has an eternity of comeuppance for her.

peacenprosperity on September 19, 2013 at 11:12 PM

True story-

Fells Point MD, when he was mayor.

Fact.

wolly4321 on September 19, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Oh I bet you wish you had a camera phone, huh?

ManWithNoName on September 19, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Video: Rick Perry and Martin O’Malley throw down on Texas v. Maryland

Perry wins this with a knockout punch before Mills Lane can finish saying “Let’s Get It On!”

rukiddingme on September 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Owe’Malley has raised our income taxes, property taxes, sales tax, and increased the heck out of tolls, despite the fact that he inherited a SURPLUS from a rare republican governor in this state.

The only thing keeping Maryland afloat is federal money we get from overpaid “public servants” living in Montgomery and Howeird Counties, SS workers in Baltimore County, and contractors up in Harford County.

Thank you hardworking Americans for paying 1% salaries to my fellow Marylanders. And don’t get me started on the %$#@ing schools here.

Laura in Maryland on September 20, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Game, set, match.

Jaibones on September 20, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I honestly have my doubts that Perry is running these ads to bring Marylanders to Texas. I think his goals are to:

1) Soften up the Democrats before next year’s elections in Maryland.

2) Fire a warning shot into Northern Virginia (much of the same listening and viewing area for local media) to either encourage voters to support Cuccinelli or at least scare them off from voting from voting for McAuliffe. (Gov. McDonald may be scandal plagued, but the economy in VA is doing much better then MD)

a_feral_duck on September 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM

slickwillie2001: Looks like Texas beats significantly in every category.

Shenanigans were called in comments thread.

/HatTip

Terp Mole on September 20, 2013 at 6:58 PM

wolly4321: I once saw o’malley crawling down the sidewalk, covered in puke, on his hands and knees, cussing out everyone in sight, escorted by 2 Baltimore cops. Fells Point MD, when he was mayor.

Sounds like a great father figure… oh wait

O’Malley’s daughter, 18, found unconscious, briefly hospitalized
[New graduate said to appear intoxicated at Inner Harborfirst lady calls it ‘teachable moment’

O’Malley family values

Terp Mole on September 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM

EPIC: Governor O’Malley’s stench

The illustrious Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley is known throughout the state for his mind-boggling arrogance, smugness, ruthless bullying of defenseless citizens and blatant, in-your-face dishonesty and corruption

Terp Mole on September 20, 2013 at 7:14 PM