Video: “This time”

posted at 2:01 pm on September 18, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

How often do we see the entertainment culture take a stand against abortion — especially one as powerful as John Elefante’s “This Time”?  The former lead singer of Kansas offers an incredibly personal missive based on the story of his own adopted daughter in order to bring attention to Online for Life, which works to rescue babies (and their mothers) from the abortion culture and give them the chance for life.

If you’re not choking up by the end of this video — when John and Sami explain the meaning of this video — check your pulse.

Former “Kansas” lead singer and producer John Elefante is using his newest single “This Time,” to share the story of his adopted daughter’s birth, and in the process, bring some attention to Online for Life (OFL), an educational non-profit working to rescue babies from abortion so they can live to make their mark on the world.

“I can’t imagine life without my daughter, Sami, and it just breaks my heart that pregnant young women much like her birth mother, instead of choosing life for their babies, are denying them the chance to be born,” Elefante said. “If our song can in any way bring attention to this issue and encourage those who are considering abortion to choose life through options such as adoption, then we couldn’t be happier.”

Purchase “This Time” from John’s new album ‘On My Way To The Sun’ on iTunes now http://bit.ly/ElefanteiTunes.

God bless them all.

Update: Terry Jeffrey notes that the House needs to act on HR 940 to prevent ObamaCare from expanding the abortion culture:

H.R. 940 advances a proposition you might expect any decent person to embrace — and it does so by making a small amendment to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare.

The key language in that amendment says nothing in the Obamacare law “shall require an individual to purchase individual health insurance coverage that includes coverage of an abortion or other item or service to which such individual has a moral or religious objection, or prevent an issuer from offering or issuing, to such individual, individual health insurance coverage that excludes such item or service.”

Similar language in H.R. 940 also protects employers and health-insurance issuers from being forced to buy or provide coverage for items or services to which they have a “moral or religious objection.”

H.R. 940 mirrors the first words in the Bill of Rights, which say: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.”

To object to H.R. 940, a person must argue that the federal government has the moral and constitutional authority to force Americans to act against the teachings of their religion and the dictates of their conscience.

To defend H.R. 940, a person need only argue it is wrong for the government to force Americans to act against their religion or the conscience.

Yet, President Barack Obama and his bureaucratic subordinates are effectively doing just that by pushing forward with a regulation that will require all health care plans (except those bought directly by actual churches and their immediate auxiliaries) to cover sterilizations, contraceptives and abortion-inducing drugs.

Update: Not directly related but nonetheless a terrific read, my friend Elizabeth Scalia has an essay in the Washington Post that questions the coverage in the media of Pope Francis and the dangers of idolatry. In a real sense, we see the dangers in idolatry in the motives that drive the abortion culture, especially the idolatry of self.

Comments

Good on him. ; )

Bmore on September 18, 2013 at 2:03 PM

The members of Kansas ain’t exactly libtards. Hannity once had Kerry Livgren on his show. A pleasant change from the likes of a Springsteen or Bon Jovi.

Lanceman on September 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Beautiful.

stenwin77 on September 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM

The best part is I don’t feel proselytized. These things can change minds.

Bmore on September 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I just want to know what any pro-abortionist says to someone like Sami.

It’s more than that. Seeing her sitting in the abortion clinic, and knowing the end result of following through, also makes me angry and frustrated. Watching that video once is enough for me.

NotCoach on September 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM

God bless them and their family.

kingsjester on September 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM

This is really lovely.

Cindy Munford on September 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM

H.R. 940: not a good amendment.

My thinking is it recognizes the existence of Obamacare and makes it more palatable. No, let’s experience the full Monty of this crap sandwich or kill it outright.

FOWG1 on September 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Nothing from HotAir on Jonathan Ferrell I see. Yup, “life matters” or something.

libfreeordie on September 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

libfreeordie on September 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

You are pathetic.

kingsjester on September 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Interesting reading on Huffington Post where Elefante’s video somehow classifies as “hate speech”.

earlgrey133 on September 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM

libfreeordie on September 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Speaking of nothing coming from someone…

Here’s a simple question for you. Which of the founding fathers did not subscribe to the communitarian ethos Calhoun deploys to rationalize slavery? *sets sundial*

libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM

None. They weren’t nascent Commies like John C. Calhoun, and full blown Commies like you. Don’t you think you need to provide some proof for such a ridiculous smear there Mr. Calhoun? You’re a history perfesser, right?

NotCoach on August 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Oh dear God….hold on, give me 10 minutes.

libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Tick tock.

NotCoach on September 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

libfreeordie on September 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Not to me. As a pro-aborto Rethuglican, I’m all in favor of aborting your kind out of existence. I know of no one who would advocate a tapeworm or tick continue. Why should any other parasite?

Lanceman on September 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I was in college when Seals and Crofts released their LP “Unborn Child.” That’s when I started hearing, “We’re for free speech, but…” for the first time.

cbenoistd on September 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Beautiful and wonderfully done…

… now I have to do something about all this dust in my office.

Seven Percent Solution on September 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM

libfreeordie on September 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

You are pathetic.

kingsjester on September 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I’ll second that! Not one word or expression of sympathy when an angry black racist guns down 12 in cold blood but a demand for attention of a story no more newsworthy by HA editorial standards than the Duncan OK slaughter.

Double standards abound.

Happy Nomad on September 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM

great stuff.

kirkill on September 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Saw this eariler today, many blessings to their family and I agree with Bmore, this is the type message that will reach some and hopefully change someones mind. As the saying goes, if it saves just one child!

D-fusit on September 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM

That was very well done.

DarkCurrent on September 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM

libfreeordie on September 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

You are pathetic.

kingsjester on September 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM

The race obsessed racist can’t help himself. He only cares about the Ferrell story because Ferrell was black. Injustice is injustice, and the officer who shot Ferrell has been charged. I guess Hot Air needs to turn this into the race trial of the century, or something. That’s the only way a bigot like brainfree would ever be satisfied.

He should probably also be banned. His penchant for derailing has become rather tiresome and pathetic.

NotCoach on September 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM

libfreeordie on September 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

And as usual, your only means of rebuttal to the TRUTH of life is to try to change the subject. You sir, are pathetic.

kirkill on September 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM

earlgrey133 on September 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM

That’s because it indirectly “judges” all the women who’ve been brainwashed into the abortion culture.

Happy Nomad on September 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I don’t have anything useful to say, and I can’t defend my position, so I’m going to try to hijack this thread.

libfreeordie on September 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Chris of Rights on September 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Ru486 is a chemical weapon used to kill children….

devan95 on September 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Injustice is injustice, and the officer who shot Ferrell has been charged.

NotCoach on September 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Not good enough for some. Duncan OK- just a bunch of misguided youth. Trayvon Martin or the Ferrell shooting and indictment of all whites forever and in perpetuity as guilty of racial based crimes for which no amount of time, cultural changes, or affirmative action will ever be adequate.

Happy Nomad on September 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM

That’s the only way a bigot like brainfree would ever be satisfied.

NotCoach on September 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM

No, not even that would satisfy his racially-paranoid bloodlust. Like The Race Card (a.k.a. CapHog, a.k.a. Just-Another-Liberal-Racist-Troll-Who-Got-His-Ass-Handed-To-Him), the only thing he’ll be satisfied with is seeing whites, Asians, Hispanics, and blacks of a lighter shade than himself loaded into cattle cars.

Like all extreme leftists, he’s perpetually aggrieved and only sees revenge as justice.

CurtZHP on September 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM

The world needs more John Elefantes. God bless him and Sami and all of their loved ones.

TXUS on September 18, 2013 at 2:52 PM

You were right, Ed. My throat’s constricted and my eyes are awfully watery, for some reason or another.

kingsjester on September 18, 2013 at 2:52 PM

libfreeordie on September 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Slave. I even threw in the hoop at no charge.

Bmore on September 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM

CurtZHP on September 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM

So he’s got common cause with the Washington Navy Yard shooter?

Happy Nomad on September 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Steel yourselves folks, the gates of H are swinging open and any second now thuja and the armpit will be on attack.

slickwillie2001 on September 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM

slickwillie2001 on September 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I was thinking that, too…unfortunately.

kingsjester on September 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I was angry by the end. Telling 13 year old girls to not have abortions is child abuse. I don’t think there is any limit to the evil of the “pro-life” movement.

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Was reading through the comments on the HuffPo just for the heck of it. Very sad reading. I though Pro Choice and Pro Abortion were two different things. Apparently not in that world. What a bunch of sick people. I don’t know what country I am in anymore.

gator70 on September 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Thanks for posting that. Calling my kids to tell them again how much I love them.

Midas on September 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Man…you’re twisted.

kingsjester on September 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM

kingsjester on September 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Very.

Bmore on September 18, 2013 at 3:11 PM

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

What, your “girlfriend’s” parents would go along with your idea?

Bishop on September 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

A$$hat clown shows up to make a$$hatted comments, right on cue.

Go to hell, a$$hat.

Midas on September 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

So you’re angry that the young girl in the video decided for herself not to have an abortion?

Your faux rage is also rather enlightening. Only a soulless Fluke like yourself would actually believe a good counterpoint would be to act like you’re morally superior. You ain’t fooling anyone. We all know you’d sell you mother into slavery in a heartbeat if you saw any advantage in it for yourself.

NotCoach on September 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Would telling them not to date also be “child abuse”? Or not to have sex?

nobar on September 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I was angry by the end.

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Because the baby/child/little girl lived? The happy ending made you angry?

Fallon on September 18, 2013 at 3:39 PM

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Would telling them not to date also be “child abuse”? Or not to have sex?

nobar on September 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM

13, 14, 15, and even 16 years old should not be having sex. I what can be done to discourage it given our current culture. I do know that the pro-life solution of giving them welfare to have the child is part of the problem.

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I was angry by the end.

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Because the baby/child/little girl lived? The happy ending made you angry?

Fallon on September 18, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I saw no happy ending.

There are many people already here to be happy, and there are many other animals that want to be happy also. On a finite planet teaming with life, the death of any zygote or fetus is quickly replaced by some other form of life.

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM

The mind of a monster.

Murphy9 on September 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

It seems odd to label it as evil.

The pro-life people see the fetus as a human being worthy of protection.

I’m guessing (and please correct me if I’m wrong) that you see it as nothing more than a clump of cells.

If the pro-life people are right, it seems that their position would be moral, not evil. If you are right, it seems that their position would be misguided…but evil? What reasons do you you have supporting labeling that as evil?

JadeNYU on September 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Would it follow then that it would be fine to kill puppies and kittens in order to make room for the zygotes/fetuses? As long as some other form of life quickly replaces the life that was lost?

JadeNYU on September 18, 2013 at 3:55 PM

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Whoa. You have serious problems. Tell me, what is the upside of nihilism?

Fallon on September 18, 2013 at 3:56 PM

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM

You first.

MontanaMmmm on September 18, 2013 at 3:56 PM

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Aside from missing some words there, the whole “they just give them welfare” is a uninformed excuse. Almost every pro-life conservative believes that welfare doesn’t (or rather shouldn’t) go to the irresponsible. And if you want to discourage promiscuity, the best way to do it is to stop subsidizing that lifestyle.

nobar on September 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I saw no happy ending.

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM

You’ve been told this before, but humanity is above all other living organisms. And the fact that you don’t accept that is an indication of mental defect. The promotion of your own species above all others should be a painfully simple concept. And I’m not even going to get into the fact that God gave us dominion over the Earth.

NotCoach on September 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Aw, aren’t you special? Still pissed off at your Mom for not aborting your sorry ass huh? No worries. There is a place for you in this world. Just as there is in the next. Cause your special. I look forward to seeing you in your special place. Now cut your Mom some slack with some regret I say she made the correct choice

Bmore on September 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Damn allergies must be bad today.

DDay on September 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

, .

Bmore on September 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

you’re. sorry thuja. Say you aren’t friends with Random are you? It found its special place early.

Bmore on September 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM

JadeNYU on September 18, 2013 at 3:55 PM

If you are asking if we should eliminate people’s pets so that we can have more people on the planet, I would support that being an active political question.

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM

libfreeordie on September 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Wow, so why haven’t you mentioned all the names of the folks killed so far this week in Chicago? Or Detroit? You must be a hypocrite or something. *sadly shakes head*

slickwillie2001 on September 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Dang, less than 10 minutes. (And, you didn’t even have to say his name three times…..)

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM

That statement has absolutely no relationship to reality in this, or any nearby, universes, so far as I can ascertain.

GWB on September 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Great vid.

Thirty-two years ago, my girlfriend announced she was pregnant. We were both in our late 20s. In the shock and reality of the situation, we considered every way out, as any desperate couple would. But in the end we decided to announce to our church family (I was a new believer) that we were expecting a child. Our church was very gracious to us and they mentored and encouraged us as a young family.

Now when we gather around the dinner table with my wife, my 31-year old daughter and her three adult siblings, I am amazed at what God has created in spite of my selfishness. It is truly amazing grace.

Pazman on September 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM

thuja, the disgusting…never fails.

I used to think more of you. You’re beyond just “pro choice”. YOU are a monster.

Schadenfreude on September 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM

One of thuja’s (just takin up space)

MontanaMmmm on September 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

neyney on September 18, 2013 at 4:28 PM

thuja, the disgusting…never fails.

Schadenfreude on September 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM

It isn’t just that abortion is about killing. Eating meat is also about killing. For that matter eating plants or making a wood table is about killing. It seems to me that all these kinds of killings are acceptable.

thuja on April 21, 2013 at 2:44 PM

slickwillie2001 on September 18, 2013 at 4:30 PM

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM

GWB on September 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM

The welfare program does encourage children to have children. When Democrats have attempted to enlarge welfare, they have several times successfully used the strategy of helping unwed mothers as a way to win support from pro-life legislators. On a few occasions, the only GOP votes to enlarge welfare were pro-life fanatics.

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 4:35 PM

thuja, the disgusting…never fails.

Schadenfreude on September 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Nah. Just someone haunted by a guilty conscience and dealing with it the wrong way.

Ditto Armin.

CurtZHP on September 18, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Bmore on September 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM

That broad who tried to get me banned and was the cause of an early thread shutdown?

I remember her.

Lanceman on September 18, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I never cared for Kansas’ music, but this was quite a beautiful song–perhaps because this song means something.

zoyclem on September 18, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Yup, “life matters” or something.

libfreeordie on September 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I truly feel sorry for you. What a heartless person you are.

zoyclem on September 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Alternate reading:

If you’re not choking up by the end of this video — when John and Sami explain the meaning of this video — you must be a leftist pro-murder GTA addict.

Thanks for posting this, Ed.

thuja, if you really think murder is justified because we spend too much money on welfare…outside of a miraculous change of heart, there’s no hope for your conscience.
Thankfully God does do miraculous changes of heart in people.

itsnotaboutme on September 18, 2013 at 4:49 PM

NotCoach on September 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I would think that Calhoun believed in social hierarchy enough to not be a nascent Communist.

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Sorry, but the political ‘answer’ might be increasing welfare, but it isn’t the pro-life position.

GWB on September 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Volunteer or donate to a Crisis Pregnancy Center. They provide assistance at every step of a womans pregnancy and free of charge. Men are also needed to mentor the fathers trying to right the wrongs of the welfare system. More welfare money is just flushing money down a rat hole. Men should be held accountable for their actions and start raising their children and quit relying on welfare to be the daddy. Adoption is a more than viable option and there are families waiting to adopt.

crosshugger on September 18, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Thuja,

Schadenfreude is right. You are a monster.

zoyclem on September 18, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I’m spending this week at the beach with daughter, husband and my little two year old grandson, conceived and born prior to the marriage. I can’t imagine my life without him there. I love my daughter for her choice: pro-life.

I feel such sadness for those who have not chosen life.

BigAlSouth on September 18, 2013 at 6:14 PM

thuja on September 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Are you one of those, “But on paper, it’s great!” types?

Communism was never about improving the human condition, or everyone sharing in the labor. It was always about imposing a new regime to rule over the peasants because the peasants need to be herded and guided. Just look at how Communism has always been practiced.

Not only are you soulless, you’re kind of a gigantic ignoramus as well.

NotCoach on September 18, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Didn’t care for John as lead in spite of his talents. However “fight fire with fire” was very livgren-esque.

Good on John and I’m sharing this with the kids. They hate abortion with a passion and maybe turn them on to more Kansas. Heh.

AH_C on September 18, 2013 at 6:34 PM

beautiful and I’m pleased to know that not only are one of my favorite bands from the 70s not liberal but it appears that Mr. Enfante is a Christian. God bless he and his beautiful family.neyney on September 18, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Had a friend that was a roadie back in late 70s and he told how the band would have prayer meetings before concerts and invite local Christian fans. Also Kerry Livgreen has a few solo Christian albums. Check out “let all creation sing” from mid 80s. Used to have the vinyl but only thing on YouTube is some church choir rendition. If you heard Kerry sing it, talk about angelic goosebumps – that beautiful.

AH_C on September 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Embryo by Pink Floyd. Waiting for pro-deaths to declare them evil.

AH_C on September 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM

MontanaMmmm on September 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

LOL that’s *awesome*!

Midas on September 18, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Beautiful. Had to watch it twice. The song is hauntingly beautiful in its own way, especially the words. “You’re not taking her, she’s Mine.” We are indeed, fearfully and wonderfully made.

If only thuja could understand all this, and more.

theotherone on September 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM

MontanaMmmm on September 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I want to go there and get one of his hugs! That is awesome! What wonderful parents to encourage his dream, too, besides the love that went into giving him life.

Thank you so much for sharing that.

theotherone on September 18, 2013 at 8:51 PM

AH_C on September 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Livgren’s Christian band was “AD.” They put out some awesome stuff.

Elefante was a producer for some Christian bands, as was his brother Dino. John has some solo stuff, too.

itsnotaboutme on September 19, 2013 at 5:15 AM