Starbucks CEO: Leave your guns at home from now on, please

posted at 1:21 pm on September 18, 2013 by Allahpundit

Here’s his letter about it to the company. It’s just a request, not a ban. If he made it a ban, then employees would have to enforce it. And he’s quite candid about his misgivings over putting an unarmed worker in the position of telling someone who’s packing that they’re unwelcome.

Lots of grumbling about this on Twitter this morning, which surprised me. Surely there can’t be that much overlap between fans of open carry and fans of pumpkin spice lattes. Turns out I had missed the news about “Starbucks Appreciation Day” by gun owners last month, though. This isn’t just a change in policy by some random company; this is a company that had been notably respectful of gun rights and commended for it by aficionados deciding that it was all a big mistake. No mystery as to why, either. Sonny Bunch is spot on:

What’s interesting to me is that it’s obvious Schultz has no fear of guns (nor should he; when’s the last time there was a mass-shooting at a Starbucks perpetrated by someone with an open-carry permit?). No. He fears the left. And he doesn’t fear the right.

These are all sensible positions for him to take…

The left … does the politicized life exceptionally well. They mount campaigns to pressure corporations to get what they want. They organize boycotts. They direct their complaints to gatekeepers who share their views and can influence policy. They blacklist artists with whom they disagree and pressure corporations to do the same. They control the levers of the media to add additional pressure from newspapers and television networks.

So there will be a lot of fulmination on social media from those on the right about rights and guns and the Constitution, and then a little less the next day, and a little less the day after that, until finally you forgot why you were mad at Starbucks and you stop tweeting and facebooking and kvetching and start buying pumpkin spice lattes by the bucketful and, in a moment of clarity, you’ll think about how silly it was for you to give up Starbucks in the name of something that literally never impacted you in the first place because you don’t have an open-carry permit.

Exactly. Whatever little extra business Starbucks gets from gun owners on the annual “Appreciation Day” would be washed away by the business lost once the left’s intelligentsia finally decides Something Must Be Done about the company’s tolerance for gun rights. Schultz is getting ahead of a backlash by backing down now so that he doesn’t look even weaker by backing down later after a liberal boycott takes effect. Hopefully this half-assed “request, not a ban” position will mollify them while reassuring gun owners that if they simply can’t bear to be without the pumpkin spice while they have their weapon on them, they’re welcome to come in. Unless your business is designed to be overtly conservative, staying on the left’s good side is usually in your economic interest even if it means alienating righties. Imagine how many wedding-industry professionals have learned a lesson from stories like this one to extend their services to gay couples, whether they have an objection to gay marriage or not.

Exit quotation: “There are times when I feel like America has lost its conscience.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Leftist azzhat.

If CC no one knows anyway.

Just leftist propaganda.

Boycott his stores. Plenty of alternatives who don’t meddle in stupid politics.

Schadenfreude on September 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM

They still gonna serve double-shot cappuccinos?

jon1979 on September 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Woo! Now that we’ve capitulated to the angry progressives, surely now they’ll be mollified!

Jeddite on September 18, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Dumb… Why not just keep your mouth shut and go about business instead of some stupid “emotional” crap…

sandee on September 18, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Starbucks sucks anyway. Too expensive. Save the money you would spend at Starbucks and buy a gun.

redguy on September 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM

No. He fears the left. And he doesn’t fear the right.

Proving once again that they should NEVER be called “liberal” and “progressive”.

Call them always what they are – leftist thugs.

Boycott his company.

He has the right to run his joint as he pleases.

You have the right to show him a big finger.

Schadenfreude on September 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM

That’s a myth.

Ronnie on September 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM

“Guns should not be part of the Starbucks experience.”

Yeah … awful coffee pretty much covers the “Starbucks experience”.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on September 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Services/goods businesses should never be political.

The shareholders should fire all the officers who make such stupid business decisions…for any company.

Schadenfreude on September 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Fair enough. It is his stores. The policy is only advisory.
BTW, there was an incident at another internet cafe where a customer shot two robbers threatening everyone. He had a permit.

pat on September 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Just one more reason to not go to Starbucks.

Pork-Chop on September 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM

well then, remove all of the “shots of espresso” language StArBux!! you disarm first, bud!

ted c on September 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM

He has the right to run his joint as he pleases.

As everyone should have the right… Tell that to the bakers and photographers who wanted to run their business by not having to cater to Gay weddings…

sandee on September 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Starbucks CEO: Leave your guns Drink your coffee at home from now on, please

Valkyriepundit on September 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I prefer to support my local coffee shop. The type Starbucks tries to run out of business.

Spade on September 18, 2013 at 1:29 PM

FYI – Mcdonalds has better coffee and it’s less expensive.

Deafdog on September 18, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I dug out my Estro Profi. Takes a few minutes to warm up and clean up, but I can make a better latte/cap at home in minutes, and it saves me a few bucks.

Murphy9 on September 18, 2013 at 1:30 PM

“Guns should not be part of the Starbucks experience.”

He may live to regret that. Bad guys don’t really think like this.

Akzed on September 18, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Well since you said please. Can I get a pretty please. No? Well I for one am a Free Man. I will do as I please. Piss off!

Bmore on September 18, 2013 at 1:31 PM

He has the right to run his joint as he pleases.

sandee on September 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Absolutely.

I can’t figure out why anyone who actually likes coffee goes to Starbucks, anyway, regardless of this gun advisory.

Starbucks actually BANNED e-cigs since they seemed to irk the douchebags who frequent that rattrap. The idea that someone is enjoying nicotine, evidently, drives them up a wall. Again, Shultz has every right to run his business as he wants but anyone with a brain would avoid that place like the Plague … which is what the coffee tastes like.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on September 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I don’t waste money on overpriced Starbucks coffee anyway, but here’s a newsflash for you ace: The way the concealed carry law is in my state, you have no say over the matter.

rjh on September 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM

This is so very reactionary.

Shooting happens.

Please no more guns, says the coffeehouse chain CEO?

thebrokenrattle on September 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Starbucks Shooting Gallery Coming Soon!

mankai on September 18, 2013 at 1:36 PM

@iowahawk:

“Got kicked out of a gun shop for open-carrying a Starbucks”

That’s what I’m talking about!!

ziggyville on September 18, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Does no one own their own coffee machine anymore? ‘Cause, if I have the last one, I’ll sell it. Don’t use the thing much anyway, and I could use the money for shop tools and ammo.

Used, 12cup. Seeing as it’s apparently the last in existence, I think 350$ is a fair price…

PXCharon on September 18, 2013 at 1:36 PM

“Starbucks experience?” It’s a friggin’ coffee shop, nothing else except a place for the basement dweller to come out of the darkness once in awhile.

geminicontender on September 18, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I remember the starbucks appreciation day and thought it was a horrible idea at the time and wondered how long it would take for the backlash, turns out about a month. Here gun owners had a company that respected their rights and instead of just thanking them they decided to flaunt it and really act like jerks about it, they have no one to blame but themselves.

clearbluesky on September 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Don’t go to Fourbucks that much….now I know I won’t be going at all! Unsafe environment!

tomshup on September 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM

That’s too bad. I liked starbucks but I’ll try buy my coffee elsewhere. I hope I’m not the only customer they lose.

BoxHead1 on September 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I’m perfectly happy to keep my guns out of Starbucks (the McDonalds of coffee, although that’s an insult to McDonalds) – and myself with them.
I don’t like Starbucks anyway – not enough flavor choices and too expensive.

dentarthurdent on September 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM

rjh on September 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM

PXCharon on September 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Boycott his company.

Schadenfreude on September 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I’d like to Schad, I really would but I can’t. I don’t ever go there anyway.

Oldnuke on September 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I’m sure police aren’t included, off-duty or on. Besides, the point of concealed carry is others don’t know a citizen is armed. That’s what stops crime in places ostensibly gun-free zones like shopping malls.

He just have kept his mouth shut and let liberals rant. It’s not like they’ll go any place else, for Starbucks is so trendy for many liberals.

Liam on September 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Seriously as a private business owner… I think he sets the policy for his stores. He isn’t the government. You are free to go there or not. But he is not a gun fan. His right.

petunia on September 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM

“Starbucks experience”??

WTF is that?

Is starbucks an attraction or a destination?

portlandon on September 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Never felt the need to open-carry and scare the Birkenstock set, so … who cares? And anyway, Starbucks espresso blows, but sadly, so does most espresso in the U.S. … And we’re the only people that call it “espresso”.

M240H on September 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Screw Starbucks ill go to Duncan and my mr coffee latte makes gret cheap lattes.

losarkos on September 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I’m not going to Starbucks regardless but I think it is a shame that the Left keeps getting its way by bullying the whole time they are whining about bullying.

Cindy Munford on September 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM

And, when there’s a tragedy during a robbery, he’ll say,

I don’t understand. I told them to keep their guns out of here!

kingsjester on September 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Translation: If you’re bat-sh-t crazy and want to gun down a couple dozen helpless people, Starbucks is the place to do it.

CurtZHP on September 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM

We applaud Starbuck’s new gun policy.
–Armed Robbers of America

spiritof61 on September 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Starbucks CEO: Leave your guns at home from now on, please

Leaving my wallet at home from now on, too.

petefrt on September 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I very seldom buy coffee at a coffee shop. I usually brew my own, and the stuff I brew is roasted locally. Omaha has two perfectly wonderful coffee chains, and I do buy an occasional drink at one of them. I have never had the urge to try a Starbucks, and I now have even less of one.

catsandbooks on September 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Yes, Leftists are Nazis, they’re really good at intimidation and pushing people around when they have no right to do so. They’re proud of this.

Socratease on September 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I’d like to Schad, I really would but I can’t. I don’t ever go there anyway.

Oldnuke on September 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Makes two of us :)

He’s always been a flaming leftist.

Schadenfreude on September 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM

this just seems anti-intuitive and kind of childish, IMO. A guy shot up the Navy Yard so now you can’t bring your guns into Starbucks. Ok.

If I hadn’t already been told to stay out because of my beliefs over SSM, and if I owned a gun, this might have an effect on me, but it totally doesn’t.

earlgrey133 on September 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I have no problem with this.

I hope they’ll at least be decent enough to put the pictogram on the doors making it illegal to carry concealed inside the store. Otherwise he’s hoping to have it both ways.

You either want law-abiding gun owners’ money or you don’t.

rogerb on September 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM

“Hey, starbucks will be easier to Rob now!”

-Robbers

portlandon on September 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Yes, some of the goobers that insist on being in-your-face about firearms have made a hash of this. There were a lot better ways to handle their “appreciation” (though a lot of the events were actually very low-key and appropriate).

That being said, he hasn’t said anything about concealed carry – simply open-carry. I wouldn’t get too upset either way. Of course, I don’t drink coffee at all, anyway.

GWB on September 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Boycotting a company for taking a stand on a political issue is rarely successful for conservatives.

Better to make the point that Starbucks are now essentially Gun Free zones, giving them a higher risk of gun crimes. I don’t shop at businesses that are dangerous to myself and my family.

thuljunior on September 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM

So we just had an incident in a fenced-in, guarded, gun-free zone where 12 people were murdered because nobody could shoot back.

And Starbucks wants to build their “experience” on the same ground rules?

Somehow, I don’t see great things in the future of this corporation.

Socratease on September 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I have never had the urge to try a Starbucks, and I now have even less of one.

catsandbooks on September 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM

You’re not missing anything. Starbucks coffee blows chunks. It is awful. Dunkin Donuts blows it away and 7-11 and Wawa coffee is much better.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on September 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM

A bit wishy-washy… they either should prohibit firearms or keep their mouths shut.

Wendya on September 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM

earlgrey133 on September 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM

This has nothing to do with the Navy Yard shooting.

GWB on September 18, 2013 at 1:53 PM

“Leave your guns at home from now on, please”

Better yet… I’ll never set foot in one of your stores again

roflmmfao

donabernathy on September 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Okay and I’ll leave my dollars in my pocket and not for your overpriced liberal liquid

neyney on September 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Starbucks CEO: Leave your guns at home from now on, please

Right Mr. Lame Liberal Starbux CEO guy!!…Let’s us leave our gun in a lockbox at home, where it does us absolutely NO GOOD as someone robs, rapes, maims, and murders us or our loved ones right in our favorite Starbucks coffee house! Gun Free Zones…that’s the ticket Mr Liberal, oh, and more gun laws of course!!

Wasn’t it a Starbucks that had all its employees murdered in a back room…in the Wash DC area a couple years back??

Remember this guy, he got it right about Starbucks !

BigSven on September 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Not a fan of Starbucks or Peets or most of the specialty coffee houses. They roast all their beans so dark you can’t taste anything beyond the burnt. I use a light-roast Guatemalan bean, grind my own, and make coffee you don’t need sugar or steamed milk to make drinkable, and you’ll smack you lips when you’re done it tastes so good.

Socratease on September 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM

DunKinDonuts, and the average AM/PM have better coffee anyway.

But, to rehash history:

Giffords shooting at a Meet ‘N Greet in a market parking lot….
flier for the event urged attendees to leave their weapons at home – AZ has permitless open and concealed carry – resulting in a GUN FREE ZONE;

Aurora CO theater shooting….Holmes went to the nearest theater that advertised itself as a….GUN FREE ZONE;

Sandy Hook Elementary….all schools are, by law, GUN FREE ZONES;

Washington Naval Yard….a GUN FREE ZONE within a GUN FREE ZONE (DC)!

If the CEO of Starbucks wishes his stores to be GUN FREE ZONES, that – as a privately owned (well publicly traded) business – is his right.
But, he should remember what type of individual is attracked to

G U N …. F R E E …. Z O N E S, and it is not your average law-abiding citizen who respects the rights of others.

Another Drew on September 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I like the SB lattes and won’t be enjoying them anymore.

It’s not about the fact that when I carry, it’s concealed so no one knows. What this asshat is telling people who carry guns is that we aren’t welcome in his stores.

Fairplay. Me, my husband and a few hundred of our friends nationwide will start taking our coffee/latte business elsewhere.

KrisinNE on September 18, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Who is this Starbucks you speak of?

DDay on September 18, 2013 at 1:57 PM

“Guns should not be part of the Starbucks experience.”

Yeah … awful coffee pretty much covers the “Starbucks experience”.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on September 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM

You can get awful coffee lots of places but Starbucks comes with smugness.

Happy Nomad on September 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM

How did they act like jerks about it? How is it jerky to express appreciation publicly?

blink on September 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM

There are some videos of open-carry proponents sitting at the Starbucks, challenging the cops to bust them for something. There’s also just the self-centered bit of gathering a bunch of clearly armed folks at a location where all sorts of not-like-minded folks will be transacting their business. It’s an in-your-face approach that usually fails to sway hearts and minds.

Do they have the right? ABSOLUTELY. Should they do it? Maybe not like that.

GWB on September 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Since we moved to Lubbock I’ve spend $$$$ @ ‘Bucks. Today, I used up the balance on my gold rewards card, and later today will cut it up.
Screw, Schultz-hello Peets and Sheridan’s.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Starbucks CEO: Leave your guns Drink your coffee at home from now on, please

Valkyriepundit on September 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM

No Thanks,

Dunkin Donuts coffee is a hell of a lot better…

ToddPA on September 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM

And we’re the only people that call it “espresso”.

M240H on September 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM

The Japanese call it, エスプレッソ (esupuresso). That’s pretty close.

DarkCurrent on September 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Looks like I’m no longer a customer of Starbucks. This will hurt their business.

nazo311 on September 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM

The Starbucks Experience? The place went 100% fast food when they ditched their semi-automatic La Marzocco’s.

Murphy9 on September 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Socratease on September 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I take it a step further and roast my own. Different varieties use differing roasts. Here’s what the experts say about Guatemalan.

From the volcanic southern regions of Guatemala. This coffee has a spicy flavor with a fair amount of acidity, and can be quite strong. Light roasted, it is ideal as a morning or dessert coffee. In the darker roasts it produces a heavy and hearty brew.

I occasionally get it and usually roast it to a medium roast. I just discovered a great blend by accident. Panama Bouquete and Mexican Altura at a 50/50 blend roasted just past first crack. Man is it good. Right now I’ve got a run of Tanzanian Peaberry that I’m working on. OBTW green Guatemalan costs about $6.50 a lb in a 5lb bag.

Oldnuke on September 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Starbucks Coffee is all of these;

Overpriced

Stupid Sizes (What the heck is a tall/venti/grande anyway)

Burnt/Served 4000 Degrees centigrade)

I’ll take my Dunkin Donuts any day of the week where I can get a Great One 24 oz for the same price as a small, I’m sorry tall 12 oz one at Starbucks.

D-fusit on September 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM

What an *ss. I buy about $500.00 worth of their stupid gift cards every year, because I live in Massachusetts, there’s one on every corner, and all the kids in my family thinks Starbucks is it. I gave little thought to their politics and was willing to put up with the mild hippie/Euro vibe because the kids dug it. Well, no more. He doesn’t want my kind I’ll take my business elsewhere. No boycott, none of those lefty ‘spolied baby-wants-his-bottle’ tactics. I’ll just go somewhere else.

Clown.

CaptFlood on September 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

at home? You mean with my Keurig machine? Ok.

kirkill on September 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I remember not too long ago we were praising SB for being pro 2nd amendment. I understand the desire to not have guns in the store, because quite frankly, lots there are lots of nuts out there, and not just in your frappuccino. However, dumb move on his part. Say nothing.

Some people here are really upset about it? I am sure SB will be upset too when they take their min wage earnings elsewhere…

Not sure why one would carry a gun at all times. As if like they cannot go to town or to the mailbox without packing heat. If it is that bad out there, move?

All and all I do not care. They are a business. And unlike some fruitloops out there, I do not look to business to practice my quasi-religious beliefs. Just because he says leave them home doesn’t make it illegal to carry in there anyways.

antisense on September 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

If you needed another reason not to patronize Starbucks, they also support Planned Parenthood. And Obama too of course.

Missy on September 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

You can get awful coffee lots of places but Starbucks comes with smugness.

Happy Nomad on September 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Heh.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on September 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Coffee? Starbucks makes coffee? So, that’s what I drank….whoodathunkit?

james hooker on September 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM

“Their property, their rules. They do have a say, but they have to proactively put up a sign, or otherwise inform individuals on site.”

PXCharon on September 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM

You obviously do not have a Florida CWP. My comment pertains to concealed carry only. In my opinion, open carry poses many problems and is just not worth it. They can post all the signs they want, but the signs carry absolutely zero legal weight as far as concealed carry goes. If they see a weapon, they can ask you to leave, then you do so…but if they see it that’s not concealed carry, is it?

rjh on September 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Sometimes I think all our politics is just the Left, absent — indeed, hostile to — a belief in God, having to show their disdain and hatred for conservatives and Christians.

This seems especially true of gay marriage. Why would gays of all people, whose lifestyle is significantly based on sexual experimentation and variation (I’m indifferent — it’s their choice), embrace the institution of marriage, which is traditional and demanding in its sexual requirements? Isn’t their purpose simply to corrupt the institution, to give vent to their hatred to those who find their relationships irreligious? All of the everyday advantages gays seek could be gained through civil unions; but never mind that — we must have marriage!

Having said that, this urban dweller finds the idea of anybody other than a peace officer walking into a Dunkin’ Donuts with a gun simply bizarre, as well as unnecessary and dangerous. Hate me for it, but I don’t get it.

bobs1196 on September 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

clearbluesky on September 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM

This pretty much sums up my thinking. Taunting the thugs never seems to end well for us.

stvnscott on September 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I don’t know if that’s completely true. If it were, there’d be no Chick-fil-A or Wal-Mart.

ddrintn on September 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I remember not too long ago we were praising SB for being pro 2nd amendment.

Who is “we?”

Their hourly wages are typically a few dollars above minimum wage.

Not sure why one would carry a gun at all times.

Has anyone declared that they carry “at all times?” Is there anything wrong with being prepared?

As if like they cannot go to town or to the mailbox without packing heat.

Dumbest pile of straw I’ve seen today.

All and all I do not care.

10 sentences or so in…

They are a business.

Ok.

Second pile of straw.

Someone hand the man some matches.

Murphy9 on September 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM

No worries, champ. You’re such a jackholed f*ckwit liberal, my family doesn’t frequent your establishment anyway.

Bite me.

Midas on September 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM

“There are times when I feel like America has lost its conscience.”

Exactly, America used to have large cajones. Now they are just squishy peas.

kirkill on September 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM

…this is a company that had been notably respectful of gun rights –
AP

And then some felt it would be nice to respond to that by promoting open carry group hangs…including Newtown locations.
I think Shultz is less saying anything about guns, than he is annoyed by some people being obnoxious and inconsiderate.

verbaluce on September 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Screw, Schultz-hello Peets and Sheridan’s.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM

…you were ahead of the curve yesterday!

KOOLAID2 on September 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM

NOTE TO ARMED CRIMINALS: STARBUCKS IS A GUN-FREE ZONE, FILLED WITH PEOPLE THAT HAVE MORE MONEY ON THEM THAN COMMON SENSE, AND CASH REGISTERS FULL OF CASH FROM OVERPRICED GOODS.

Have a nice day.

Midas on September 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM

“Guns should not be part of the Starbucks experience.”

And neither should conservative dollars be a part of the Starbucks experience. Next topic.

TxHotGas on September 18, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Just ask Chik-fil-A if leaning left or right is better for business? STILL can’t get near the place for lunch around here…like Yogi Berra said, “Nobody goes there anymore, it’s too crowded.”

kirkill on September 18, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Reminds me of when I was visiting the grandkids in Arizona. A customer complained rather loudly to the manager of a restaurant about the fact someone was seated at a table and was carrying a weapon, and that such things weren’t allowed in Kalifornia. The manager simply told her “You’re not in Kalifornia.”

There are businesses in Arizona that have signs posted, indicating they don’t want people entering with firearms (concealed or otherwise). I personally don’t patronize these ‘free fire zones’.

GarandFan on September 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

“Guns should not be part of the Starbucks experience.”

Robber: “Easy targets!”

Dexter_Alarius on September 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

In my town Starbucks doesn’t have to worry about customers carring guns. All you see going in and out of there are yuppies, hippies, metrosexuals and soccer moms.

TX-eye on September 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Oh screw Starbucks and their experience !

Lucano on September 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM

bobs1196 on September 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Depending on where you are – how about security guards (not cops), armored car personnel, pawn shop/liquor store owners, etc?
All people who are very likely to be in civilian clothing and quite likely open carrying holstered weapons.
Do you immediately know whether someone in civilian clothes with a holstered weapon is or is not a cop – i.e. non-uniformed detective type?
Are you saying all of the above type people should not be allowed to run over to DD or go out to lunch without removing their sidearm?

dentarthurdent on September 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I think Shultz is just saying he’d prefer you keep the lid on your coffee.
It’s pretty hot.

verbaluce on September 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Not a coffee drinker myself, but my wife is. She tells me Starbuck’s tastes like dishwater.

CurtZHP on September 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM