Blogger has a bad feeling about this “Walking Dead” spin-off

posted at 8:16 pm on September 17, 2013 by Allahpundit

They’ve spent three years struggling to make one show about the zombie apocalypse dependably interesting from week to week. How can they possibly sustain another? Is all the non-boring dialogue being left in the writers’ room right now for some reason? Good lord. It’s like spinning off “Wings” because there are just too many good airport jokes to shoehorn into one 30-minute sitcom.

The good news for Hot Air readers: Come 2015, you’ll get two posts a week instead of one about how annoyed I am at something I watched on TV last night.

“Building on the success of the most popular show on television for adults 18-49 is literally a no-brainer,” AMC’s president and general manager Charlie Collier says in a statement. “We look forward to working with Robert, Gale and Dave again as we develop an entirely new story and cast of characters. It’s a big world and we can’t wait to give fans another unforgettable view of the zombie apocalypse.”

The series, which as of yet has no title (may we suggest The Running Dead?), will be set in the same universge as Walking Dead, but with the audience following a different group of characters.

The LA Times had to issue a correction to its original post about the spin-off because someone told them the new show would be called “Spread the Dead” and they believed him. Yes, seriously.

AMC seems to be embracing spin-offs as a broader programming strategy, starting with one of the “Breaking Bad” characters and now extending to its zombie goldmine. (Coming soon, hopefully: “Joan!” starring Christina Hendricks.) All snark aside, though, I like the idea. The problem with “The Walking Dead” isn’t the premise, lord knows, and it isn’t really the writing. (Well, sometimes it’s the writing.) The problem is that most of the characters are stiffs, no pun intended. I can’t find the post now but I remember writing once before that the show would be improved if it jettisoned this bunch of losers and focused on different aspects of the zombie apocalypse rather than one dull troupe’s experience during it. We’ve all read “Lord of the Files”; no need for a new lesson about trying to maintain a semblance of civilized behavior while civilization disappears. If they’re going to take a second crack at this universe, I’d rather they do it as a collection of short stories using different characters from week to week (or a different batch every few weeks for discrete story arcs) than write another novel that trudges along with yet another bunch of harried yet scrappy survivors. Let’s face it: All zombie novels are going to go pretty much the same way. Shorten your narrative and the possibilities open up.

Comments

So not interested in seeing this…

OmahaConservative on September 17, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I’ll enjoy your posts but I won’t watch the show. Don’t worry, the Husband tells me all about it with zero encouragement.

Cindy Munford on September 17, 2013 at 8:24 PM

New title – Left For Dead?

OldEnglish on September 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM

The Dead Boat.

Each week, the same crew hosts a new bunch of former TV stars as they steam around Manhattan Island on a derelict ferry looking for love and unopened boxes of saltines on tense shore leave excursions.

You’re welcome, AMC. If you’re quick you can even get that old hulk the original show used.

TexasDan on September 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Everyday this place becomes more of a HuffPost wanna be kinda joint for profit rather than conservative ideology.

Lately I come here less and post only occasionally – there are many better places that are better to discussing actual ideas and the real issues most of us are concerned about.

celt on September 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Walking Dead: Detroit

Fill in your own punchline…

elgeneralisimo on September 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM

He missed the awful pun there, I noticed;

Your Brains

But the fact that this is “the most popular show on television for adults 18-49″ I find more disquieting that what passes for its content. And I’ve seen most of Romero’s “Dawn of the Dead” movies. (Found them pretty repetitive and boring actually.)

Val Lewton and Jacques Tourneur’s's I Walked With A Zombie (1943) was frankly much better. It actually portrayed zombies correctly. (The things in these movies are revenant ghouls, not zombies- big difference.)

cheers

eon

eon on September 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM

AP, I don’t watch TWD, but your suggestion near the end reminded me of Roland Joffe’s experiment with Undressed, the best show on MTV most people never saw. Apply that format to TWD, and I proudly suggest a televised juggernaut.

King B on September 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Walking Dead: Detroit

Fill in your own punchline…

elgeneralisimo on September 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM

A zombie theme park in Detroit has been talked about.

Flange on September 17, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Zombie short stories! I love the idea. They could even have different stars as guest undead.

A good working title might be Zombie Theater

Happy Nomad on September 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM

…wonder what bluegill will think about this? /

KOOLAID2 on September 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM

celt on September 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Are you auditioning for the role of the guy everyone hopes gets eaten in the first episode?

TexasDan on September 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM

They need to combine the Break Bad spin off with The Walking Dead Spin off.

Don Draper – STD office visits
Phone Calls with Laurie
The Dead Dukes of Hazard County

Oil Can on September 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM

At this point, what does its brain matter spatter batter matter?

BL@KBIRD on September 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Don’t watch Breaking Bad?

El_Terrible on September 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Dean Norris said that it is possible AESAC Hank Schraeder could return as a zombie. Maybe, he could go after the nazis?

Zombies vs. Nazis = great television

Blake on September 17, 2013 at 8:51 PM

If they cast Lennie James (Morgan, the man who helped Rick in the first episode) as the lead and follow that story it could be interesting.

alchemist19 on September 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Walking Dead: Detroit

elgeneralisimo on September 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Only if Marvin Gaye comes back as a Soul Zombie.

Bruno Strozek on September 17, 2013 at 8:55 PM

A bold new concept: the zombie attempt to form some sort of civilization based on a two party system.

abobo on September 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Flange on September 17, 2013 at 8:42 PM

This is almost ready to go…

elgeneralisimo on September 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I love The Walking Dead, but, seriously, when you start tuning in hoping to see the characters you hate (Andrea, Shane, even Carl) killed off, it’s time to go a different direction. I’d still follow the original, but yeah, I’d watch a different group facing different issues, like freezing weather in the North for instance.

waterytart on September 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

So far I have been fortunate enough to have missed every episode and every other aspect of this show. I am sure I can keep it up for a few more decades.

Now, if a new spinoff of firefly comes along, or a reboot of the show itself, I might actually be willing to pay a monthly fee to watch tv again.

astonerii on September 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Walking Dead? Meh….Now how about Sunday nights episode of Breaking Bad? Eh, eh??

jawkneemusic on September 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Walking Dead just isn’t very good, period. Especially when you compare it to something like Breaking Bad.

changer1701 on September 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Allah – is “Lord of the Files” a real thing (a parody set in an office building maybe)? Or is that a typo?
[Please delete this comment if you fix it so I don't look like an idiot.]

Drunk Report on September 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM

changer1701 on September 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I agree. I liked the pilot but as the show when I I grew to dislike just about everyone on the show besides Glen. It took me awhile to start Breaking Bad but once I did, I was hooked.

jawkneemusic on September 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM

As the show went on*

jawkneemusic on September 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM

If the really annoying characters are thrown to the zombies when necessary then I will watch.

Bishop on September 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM

celt on September 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++

^^^ This

fabrexe on September 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM

On a related note, I should have never sent her that picture of me naked. That’s when she started losing interest. I thought, “be honest, open, vulnerable — share who you really are.” Meh. Lesson learned.

No, really, it’s related. It’s my life:

Says it all, really.

Axe on September 17, 2013 at 9:11 PM

If it is good it is good. You are being stupid to put stuff down before you see it. Wait, I’ll just go watch CSI republican leadership or Catfish Giggers.

Their are some many redone shows on tv…zombies are treated unfairly.

tomas on September 17, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Walking Dead, The Economy Strikes Back

dmacleo on September 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM

tomas can’t spell.

tomas on September 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM

The Walking Dead jumped the shark with the last episode…maybe before that. A spinoff? Please, no.

windbag on September 17, 2013 at 9:23 PM

CSI: Zombies

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

RedNewEnglander on September 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM

celt on September 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM

TexasDan on September 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Hahaha, you win for snappy comeback! Lol

scalleywag on September 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Zombies vs. Nazis = great television

Blake on September 17, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Here’s where I stop reading ! I am hooked on BB and I am just finishing season 3. I suspected something happened to Hank’s character when I noticed he was playing the mayor in Under The Dome!

cableguy615 on September 17, 2013 at 9:34 PM

A drug-cooking “good guy with cancer” is b.s. so it’s a no for Breaking Bad.

Zombie apocalypse, every time. As long as there’s a semblance of good somewhere in it.

shades_of_gasden on September 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM

If there is a better show than Breaking Bad, I haven’t seen it…but there are plenty of shows I haven’t seen.

The Bob Odenkirk spinoff should be good too. Wondering how they treat it. More like a comedy or a drama?

stldave on September 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Better than a spinoff with a new cast of characters then return week and week after week would be an anthology, the series being episodic. We as viewers could explore what’s happening all over the world, not just the (former?) United States in the world of the Walking Dead. Done right, it would be something akin to the Twilight Zone, but the overall theme is “trying to survive in a world of zombies.”

Eastwood Ravine on September 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM

A drug-cooking “good guy with cancer” is b.s. so it’s a no for Breaking Bad.

shades_of_gasden on September 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM

He’s pretty far from a good guy these days. This isn’t the Sopranos where we are asked to forgive all kinds of bad actions forever. This isn’t where the characters are supposed to be graded on a curve because they are a product of their environment.

People are a product of their choices, and the choices bring consequences, on this show.

stldave on September 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM

“A drug-cooking “good guy with cancer” is b.s. so it’s a no for Breaking Bad.”
shades_of_gasden on September 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM

The whole point of “Breaking Bad” is the “good guy with cancer” transforming into a very unsympathetic villain who winds up responsible for far more homicides than Scarface or the real Al Capone.

kd6rxl on September 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM

celt on September 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Eat sh*t.

spinach.chin on September 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM

celt on September 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++

^^^ This

fabrexe on September 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Eat sh*t.

spinach.chin on September 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM

^^^^ This

spinach.chin on September 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM

“A drug-cooking “good guy with cancer” is b.s. so it’s a no for Breaking Bad.”
shades_of_gasden on September 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM
kd6rxl on September 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM

So you are pulling for a bonafide villain in Breaking Bad? Or just curious about the depths of depravity? Scarface was an exploration of excesses but who cared that he died. Give me a Man on Fire instead, every time.

shades_of_gasden on September 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM

shades_of_gasden on September 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM

It’s called a “tragedy.” The ancient Greeks came up with it, though modern takes can be a bit more sophisticated. It isn’t nihilistic but an exploration of the perils of various human weaknesses and temptations. It can make for a damned good story. (Remember that quaint old art film “The Godfather”? Also a tragedy.)

Blacklake on September 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM

If anyone is going to make a spin off with Christina Hendricks it should be Joss Whedon and it will be called, “YoSaffBridge.”

Rip Ford on September 18, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Building on the success of the most popular show on television for adults 18-49…

We’ve all read “Lord of the Files[sp]”

Seen the movie Stand by Me? Maybe.

derit on September 18, 2013 at 2:39 AM

“A drug-cooking “good guy with cancer” is b.s. so it’s a no for Breaking Bad.”
shades_of_gasden on September 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM

That was my initial objection and I did not start watching until season 3. But, it is anything but what you describe. It’s very good and does not promote drug uses — far from it.

Blake on September 18, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Rip Ford on September 18, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Only if she’s all articulate. And naked!

I’ll be in my bunk.

OT: The only thing I can take from TWD is the soundtrack.

How about a spin off where they do everything wrong. Or better still, one where they have common sense. And bicycles.

The_Livewire on September 18, 2013 at 6:20 AM

I think it has possibilites, they did try a bit of it with the walking dead webisodes. They could have a set of different locations and characters each week.

Hopefully doing SMARTER stuff then the walking dead characters.
like how many miltary road blocks do you see (like the one at the centers for disease control0 where they stroll past all sorts of
miltary goodies
hummers, guns, guns, guns. They never look in the back of military vehicles for ammo, guns, mre’s bottled water ect.

I REALLY REALLY, hope it does not end up with a different half dozen misc folks in a house argueing with 3 zombies trying to break in each week.

sniffles1999 on September 18, 2013 at 7:42 AM

AMC seems to be embracing spin-offs as a broader programming strategy…

IOW, they seem to have run out of new ideas.

These are the same people who cancelled Rubicon after sucking me into watching the first, and only, season.

The final seasons of Breaking Bad, and I guess Mad Men (don’t watch it), may be AMC’s high water mark.

farsighted on September 18, 2013 at 7:44 AM

astonerii on September 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM

+ 1 million

also…

This has already been written, its called World War Z. No, not that bastard child of a movie, the actual book. If you want a great collection of short stories that takes you from beginning to end from the perspective of a new character every chapter, that is the place to start!

airmonkey on September 18, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Whether people here agree or not, TWD is a ratings hit. As far as the BB spin off, they’re going to have to make him more likable. Sure, he’s a funny guy but he is also more than happy to conspire in murders.

Blake on September 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Zombie pr0n?!?!? Eeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!

GWB on September 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Zombie pr0n?!?!? Eeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!

GWB on September 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Why not? The Undead have needs.

With this season’s American Horror Story expect a lot of women running around with black hats claiming that they are witches.

Blake on September 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM

The spinoff should follow a heavy armor battalion of U.S. Army soldiers. Because how the f**k are zombies getting into those M1 Abrams?

Pale Rider on September 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Pale Rider on September 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM

They don’t. They just wait for them to run out of gas.

LoganSix on September 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I offer “Killing The Dead”. Maybe that’s too subtle for some.

RebeccaH on September 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Give me a Man on Fire instead, every time.

shades_of_gasden on September 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM

A thousand-times this – Man of Fire was the most underrated movie of the last 20 years. Man, I miss Tony Scott movies /RIP

King B on September 18, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Guess I am in the minority here, but I love TWD. And I didn’t start watching it until last year. The only reason I started was Hot Air. There was a thread about it almost every week it seemed. I decided to check it out and was hooked.

Sometimes it is just good to forget about the mess that Washington has become.

jazzuscounty on September 18, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Don’t forget Dracula by fellow conservative Daniel Knauf that will premiere Oct 25, 2013.

Blake on September 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM

It’s interesting that all this talk about Breaking Bad ans The Walking Dead. Yet, we all seem to forget that Dexter is ending soon. Judging by the quality of this season’s episodes, I can see why.

Zaire67 on September 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM

It’s interesting that all this talk about Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead. Yet, we all seem to forget that Dexter is ending soon. Judging by the quality of this season’s episodes, I can see why.

Zaire67 on September 18, 2013 at 4:32 PM

True Blood also has only one more season, thankfully.

Blake on September 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I want a show from the point of view of the zombies in a world where they struggle to survive despite the violence of gun-crazy people. (Yes, sarcasm.)

Othniel on September 19, 2013 at 1:06 AM