The freaky quadruple deaky “Northampton clown” post

posted at 6:01 pm on September 16, 2013 by Allahpundit

Nightmare fuel to cleanse the palate. There are pranks, there are good pranks, and then there are pranks so ingenious that they qualify as international news.

A spooky clown, dressed in white face paint with huge drawn-on eyebrows, a curly red wig and a ruffled collar — and looking exactly like Pennywise clown from the Stephen King-inspired 1990 horror film, “IT” — has appeared in several locations throughout Northampton, England since Friday, Sept. 13. The city, some 67 miles outside of London, is an industrial town known historically for its shoemakers and churches.

Why the clown is there and what he or she is doing has baffled local residents and social media users around the world. Thousands of people have been following the story on Twitter since the sightings began, using the hashtag #northamptonclown.

That’s a cheesy concept to spook people but it’s been superbly executed. Check out the large photos compiled at HuffPo, particularly the one of him standing in front of a sculpture clutching a, er, clown teddy bear. The best-known image is posted below. If you have young children and one of them happens to be looking over your shoulder as you’re reading this, understand right now that they’ll never sleep again.

According to a local paper, “The clown also knocked on a stranger’s door and offered to paint their window sills despite having no equipment,” the mere thought of which makes me pee a little. However, the clown himself denies this, and also denies that he’s part of some local upcoming “fright night” promotion. “Wait,” you say. “The clown is communicating with people?” Why, yes. It’s the Internet age. He has his own Facebook page, apparently. How people can be sure that it’s really him updating and not some random loser looking to capitalize on the attention, I don’t know, but it looks like one or more of the photos of him might have originated there. If he starts posting pics of corpses or creepshots taken from shadowy alleyways, we’ll know it’s really him.

No, in reality, the mystery appears to be almost solved. The Northampton clown looks to be wearing the same costume as a clown in a mockumentary that hit YouTube a few months ago and which stars an actor from — ta da — Northampton. The blue-doored garage that appears in the photo above also briefly appears in the YouTube clip. As for the freaky deaky Pennywise mask, Metro UK discovered that a photo of a verrrry similar mask was posted last year on the Facebook page of — ta da — the guy who directed the mockumentary. So, there you go; the official unmasking is presumably just days away. What interests me about this is simply the logistics of it all: How are they taking these photos in public with people now out in force looking for the clown, and how many people are/were involved in circulating the photos on social media to try to promote the story? I assume the pranksters went out and took all of the photos, probably dozens, on a single night, before the city had heard of the clown and now they’re releasing them serially, to make people think he’s out there every night looking to steal children’s souls or whatever. At least I hope so — there must be a few teen miscreants who are now out and about themselves in the wee hours lately looking to catch the clown and do God knows what to him for funsies. Can’t wait for the mocku/documentary.

Comments

Clowns are creapy!
/Bishop

LeftCoastRight on September 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Creepy

LeftCoastRight on September 16, 2013 at 6:02 PM

There’s a reason you never hear about stuff like this happening in the hood … because the the headline would read: “Creepy-A** Clown Found Shot 39 Times In The Fifth Ward”.

M240H on September 16, 2013 at 6:07 PM

makes me pee a little

Wha..?

John the Libertarian on September 16, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Fluke him, he is just a clown.

Oil Can on September 16, 2013 at 6:09 PM

What is with these scary clowns around?

Mr. Joe on September 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Here’s one from this past Friday the 13 involving a chain saw…

The pranks this guy does are usually pretty funny.

Blue Collar Todd on September 16, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I freaking HATE freaking clowns. Period. They scare the HELL out of me.

ladyingray on September 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM

We all float down here…….

portlandon on September 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Isn’t the UK where they also had the horse man?

Blake on September 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I freaking HATE freaking clowns. Period. They scare the HELL out of me.

ladyingray on September 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Kramer concurs.

Del Dolemonte on September 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM

If this dude made it to your front door in one piece then you’re doing it wrong.

Bishop on September 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM

In the USA he runs the very real risk of being ventilated.
I dislike clowns. Please come to the states clown.

Bubba Redneck on September 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM

How do we know he’s not in the Administration or the next Fed Chair?

He bears a striking resemblance to this group photo from the 2013 2nd Inaugural.

PappyD61 on September 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Well, living in Merry Ol’ England, we know he doesn’t own a firearm.

Since this has upset so many, TIME TO TURN IN YOUR CAMERAS!

GarandFan on September 16, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Clowns are creepy enough.

Quiet clowns are the ultimate in creepy things.

MississippiMom on September 16, 2013 at 6:22 PM

The only clown I ever cared for was Ronald McDonald. And him.. I only ever want to see on a commercial or while I’m at McDonalds.

I hate all other clowns.

JellyToast on September 16, 2013 at 6:29 PM

You know what’s creepier than clowns? People who mock others’ inane fears.

I freaking HATE freaking clowns. Period. They scare the HELL out of me.

ladyingray on September 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Whenever I hear people say this I presume that person to be an idiot or liar. Unless you were molested by a clown-costumed pedo you need to grow up.

anchorchick on September 16, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Wonder if the guy will come to Washington and replace the Clown in the White House.

GarandFan on September 16, 2013 at 6:37 PM

C’mon Georgie…. don’t be scared.

dddave on September 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I’d pay him 50,000 kuai just to show up at a certain place in TN at dusk

DarkCurrent on September 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM

From the HuffPo article.

It is unknown at this time whether or not the clown feeds on the souls of children.

antipc on September 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM

anchorchick on September 16, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Who pissed in your Corn Flakes?

Geeez……….lighten up Francis.

antipc on September 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Clowns are racist.

BobMbx on September 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM

The whole Bishop thing is really old.

The Notorious G.O.P on September 16, 2013 at 6:54 PM

We need some Clown control .

EnglishRogue on September 16, 2013 at 7:14 PM

THEY ALL FLOAT!!!!!!!!!!

pilamaye on September 16, 2013 at 7:14 PM

anchorchick on September 16, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Clowns suck. Just look at obozo and Biden for proof.

Flange on September 16, 2013 at 7:17 PM

M240H on September 16, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Got that right.

Heh, one of my favorite YouTube comments evah was left by someone on a video that showed a bunch of swimmers at a beach all going over to see what some strange, large dark mass was in the water nearby. The dude said something like “What is with you white people? Some big unknown sea thing comes your way and you swim out to touch it?”

JetBoy on September 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Clowns suck. Just look at obozo and Biden for proof.

Flange on September 16, 2013 at 7:17 PM

They do suck. But they’re not creepy or scary. People just repeat this crap to sound unique. It’s unoriginal.

If you’re older than 7 and still afraid of clowns you’re an idiot.

anchorchick on September 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Some big unknown sea thing comes your way and you swim out to touch it?”

JetBoy on September 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I’m sick of stereotypes about white people and black people. How about we start hurling stereotypes about gays? Is that OK?

No, it’s not.

anchorchick on September 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I freaking HATE freaking clowns. Period. They scare the HELL out of me.

ladyingray on September 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM

anchorchick on September 16, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Shut your mouth. John Wayne Gacy was a clown.

rickv404 on September 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM

anchorchick on September 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM

As a kid I played near the Des Plaines river. Some of John Wayne Gacey’s victims were found near there. I wasn’t a victim but there’s a reason to find some clowns questionable. And clowns have been used for creepy purposes such as Stephen King’s book or the Insane Clown Posse.

Flange on September 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Flange on September 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Yeah, same with halloween costumes. But you don’t hear people freaking out about that. And they’re supposed to be scary.

Your anecdote is cute though. Do you freak out about artists too? Gacy was a painter. You’re a clown; hide from yourself.

anchorchick on September 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM

No, it’s not.

anchorchick on September 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Lighten up, buttercup…it’s a friggin’ joke. Relax.

JetBoy on September 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM

anchorchick on September 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM

You must be a pedophile that doesn’t want it’s clown cover blown. You’re pathetic, so please go hide from the rest of us.

Flange on September 16, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Well. I hear Obama is looking for someone to head the Federal Reserve. Maybe this is the guy for the job?

oldroy on September 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM

anchorchick on September 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM

\

Relax, would you?

Chuck Schick on September 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I don’t use Facebook but I thought you had to use your name on the site? No?

novaculus on September 16, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I don’t use Facebook but I thought you had to use your name on the site? No?

novaculus on September 16, 2013 at 8:01 PM

At one time, yes. But they’ve since allowed novelty accts.

JetBoy on September 16, 2013 at 8:07 PM

novaculus on September 16, 2013 at 8:01 PM

low-information voter

anchorchick on September 16, 2013 at 8:13 PM

“There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight.”
–Lon Chaney

captn2fat on September 16, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Ok, I don’t get the clownphobia. Seriously?

Midas on September 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM

M240H on September 16, 2013 at 6:07 PM

LOL

Midas on September 16, 2013 at 10:28 PM

anchorchick on September 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Huh. Must be that time of the month.

nukemhill on September 16, 2013 at 11:29 PM

anchorchick on September 16, 2013 at 6:30 PM

OK so I’m an idiot. Presume all you want, I’m afraid of clowns and I wasn’t molested by one. I presume you’re an ahole.

Buttercup on September 17, 2013 at 9:18 AM