Russian diplomat on Navy Yard shooting: “A clear confirmation of American exceptionalism”

posted at 11:21 am on September 16, 2013 by Allahpundit

Awkward, but imagine how much more awkward it’ll be if the shooter — or shooters — turns out to be a pro-Assad fanatic angry at American threats against the regime. (It’s naval assets, after all, that are expected to lead a potential U.S. attack against Syria.) If you’re going to gloat over a mass murder that’s been committed against your new “partner in peace” while it’s in progress, at least wait until you know for sure that you’re not allied with the perpetrator.

BuzzFeed’s translation: “A new shootout at Navy headquarters in Washington – a lone gunman and 7 corpses. Nobody’s even surprised anymore. A clear confirmation of American exceptionalism.” He followed up 10 minutes later with a tweet in English claiming that the notion of American exceptionalism “smells of political racism,” which is on the cusp of parody as something an especially soft-headed American leftist might say. Evidently that’s the new M.O. for influential Russian fascists who want to troll the U.S. — pretend that they’re the real liberals of the international order and snicker as Americans try to decide whether to be outraged at them for trolling or at their own political system for giving the Russians the opportunity.

By the way, this is the same guy who crowed to Time magazine last week that there’s nothing the U.S. can do about making Syria give up its WMD short of occupying the country like it did Iraq. Lavrov may be the face of Russian diplomacy but this cretin is evidently its id. And no, needless to say, his claim about American exceptionalism here isn’t as true as he wishes it was.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Bmore+

Schadenfreude on September 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I suppose that Russian “exceptionalism” is perhaps best exemplified by Beslan or perhaps the Moscow Theater where the Russians managed to kill more of their citizens than the terrorists?

Marcus Traianus on September 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Hey jerk, we know Russia has such superior values: especially education (Beslan massacre) and the arts (theater massacre).

PattyJ on September 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Russian politicians … always with that light Lubitsch touch.

Seth Halpern on September 16, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Anyone else fed up with the Russians yet? I am almost as fed up with them as I am with Obama.

Thank you Barry, for making us look like fools. Again.

rightConcept on September 16, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Hey, Aleks, I’ve spent some time in Russia, and you seriously have nothing to say about exceptionalism.

Ronnie on September 16, 2013 at 1:16 PM

If we took a survey… with the question,

Where would you like to live?

a) United States of America
b) Russia

Gee, I wonder what the popular answer would be…

rightConcept on September 16, 2013 at 1:16 PM

If Obama had a Russian son -he would look like Алексей Пушков.This gent mirrors the rhetoric of our Dear Leader.

wraithby on September 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM

He’s just grumpy because he uses Russia’s exceptional version of toilet paper.

Ronnie on September 16, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Have the Russians poisoned any political opponents this week?

Odie1941 on September 16, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Marcus Traianus on September 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I think it was with the gulags, and the full employment they offered counting trees in Siberia.

That exceptionalism was so extraordinary, that even today, tens of millions risk their lives to emigrate to that worker’s paradise of Putin’s Russia. (is the /sarc tag even needed?)

Athos on September 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM

This fellow could be writing copy for the talking heads at MSNBC.

paulus1 on September 16, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Classy.

AZCoyote on September 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I think this about sums it up.

KMC1 on September 16, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I’m not that clever…or that stupid.

verbaluce on September 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Well, you’re half right.

Maddie on September 16, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Beslan.

Levinite on September 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM

This is just a symptom of what happens when many in the Kremlin no longer fear or respect the U.S., thanks to the 3 Stooges administration.

veni vidi vici on September 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Classy, and wholly appropriate given all the gloating the US did about that school massacre and the theater massacre and the…

Oh wait, the US never did that, did they?

What a classless f*ck.

Midas on September 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I just heard on the radio Debbie WS just sent out a gun-control message on her Twitter. This mayonaisse haired goon can’t even let the bodies cool.

Marcus on September 16, 2013 at 11:26 AM

They never wait; she won’t be the last.

Midas on September 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Nothing a few more “I know you are, what am I?” op-eds penned by moronic US politicians and sent to Pravda for publishing won’t solve, I’m sure.

Midas on September 16, 2013 at 2:27 PM

huge security failure

12 dead

ploome on September 16, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Good thing he is from Russia. If he was from the Soviet Union, wow, what a hypocrite he would be. Lucky.

Hening on September 16, 2013 at 2:57 PM

This from a guy whose government defined and enforced its policies at the end of a gun.

Yob tvoyu mat, Mr. Pushkov.

LizardLips on September 16, 2013 at 3:00 PM

This coming from someone representing a country that killed 20 million of its own citizens in the last 100 years….yeah right. Have another Vodka, ya bunch of drunks.

Redstone357 on September 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM

And to think the MSM laughed when Romney said these fcks were our biggest geopolitical foe.

goflyers on September 16, 2013 at 3:17 PM

To make a comment like this while 12 people are dead and shooters are still on the loose shows remarkably poor taste and disrespect for human life. Someone needs to kick his @rse….just put an ‘exceptional’ boot to his backside.

easyt65 on September 16, 2013 at 3:21 PM

He’s free to gloat. But karma can be umm, quite interesting.

AH_C on September 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM

F**K THESE GUYS!

ThePrez on September 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM

What difference at this point does it make? It is all Style points. And we all know Style counts for nothing. Even if you are lying.

steveracer on September 16, 2013 at 5:05 PM

lmao!

Murphy9 on September 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I’d say something critical about Russia in return but my doctor has me on a low-polonium diet.

David Blue on September 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Whatever type of shooting this may end up being (terrorism or a lunatic), and whether you think this is exclusively an American phenomenon or not, the world does think this way of America.

Mass shootings like Columbine and Sandy Hook are an American thing.
That’s one of the things about the American brand, like it or not.

But this dipsh1t does appear to be gloating. The average Russian has a love-loathe relationship with America. They’re jealous of America’s riches and quality of life, but loathe it for bossing the world around, and especially for beating the USSR. Not in the capitalism vs. communism battle, but in the “they” beat “us” battle. Russia longs for the days of being a superpower even though it is reminded every day that it is not. They are keenly aware that they have no mathematical reason to be included in the G8, and they hate it.

The Russian diplomatic and military establishment will loathe America for at least another 2 decades, IMO.

AlexB on September 16, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Marcus Traianus on September 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM

My immediate thoughts.
Morons.
Log. Mote. Eye.

Badger40 on September 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Thank you BarryBAMMMMSTAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DA MANNNNNN BAMMMMY BABYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE YA BARRY OL BUDDY OL PALLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

riConc on at 1:14 P

cableguy615 on September 16, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I don’t think the Russians taking a few potshots in this way hurts America per se. What it hurts is Obama’s envy-driven-crony-powered caricature of America which is a stunted, ugly perversion of the real thing. If Pushkov had made that comment while Reagan was president, my blood would be boiling. That’s not just party loyalty on my part; Obama really has made a fundamental transformation of this country.

Obama deserves every bit as much ridicule as he’s getting, because he went out of his way to argue (in a hundred different ways) during his first term that America was nothing special. After going full speed ahead in one direction for six years, he suddenly changes course and spouts out about “exceptionalism” when it serves his current political purpose? What a contemptible, pandering opportunist. Laugh away, Russia. Ozero deserves every derisive insult you toss his his way.

Burke on September 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Uhhh … Cylor . . . . . . . I like your passion, but right now, “the shoe fits.”

listens2glenn on September 16, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Oh really.

How would you like it if some lunatic shot and killed one or more members of YOUR IMMEDIATE FAMILY, i.e. a parent, a sibling or a child…and then you went online and saw some smug, self-important bastard telling you before their bodies were even cold that it was basically karma because barely a plurality of your fellow citizens voted for a lying charlatan twice.

And then if you give them just the tiniest fraction of what they deserve for that, somebody else chimes in and tells you “the shoe fits”. What would your natural response to that be?

I might agree with you on other things, but on this? You and jephthah can both go to hell.

Cylor on September 17, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Uh…we are better than the rest of the world. But not perfect. But way more perfect than Russia, Comrade.

Sherman1864 on September 17, 2013 at 5:43 AM

Hil-ar-ious! An elitist of one of the most egregious nations regarding civil rights and poverty….. telling us how to run our business?

Just as with O (one of their devotees, btw), smugness comes before the fall.

“Putin was re-elected President largely based on his record of improving the living standards of ordinary Russians after the corruption and chaos of the Yeltsin years. But Russia’s relatively prosperous economy is almost solely due to the high price of oil. And while the country now boasts of extraordinary wealth, this is confined to a tiny elite while the majority of Russia’s citizens languish in poverty.
Hypocrites as usual.
Nothing to see here. Business as usual with Russia.

avagreen on September 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Thank you Barry, for making us look like fools. Again.

rightConcept on September 16, 2013 at 1:14 PM

F**K THESE GUYS!

ThePrez on September 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM

In all fairness, the very concept of “American exceptionalism” is a tad hard to swallow…unless you are a right-wing American who wasn’t poisoned by a childhood of Leftishoid BS.

You really can’t blame him for saying it. You tell the planet you’re super-ultra fantastic and above and beyond everyone else. As soon as you stub your toe, you’re gonna’ get called on it.

Just sayin.’

thejackal on September 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Seriously, people.

First man in space: Yuri Gagarin
First woman in space: Valentina Tereshkova

You don’t think these people are itching to serve us a big hot, steaming cup of “Go F Yourself!?”

Take it in stride.

thejackal on September 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM

thejackal on September 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM

So……how many Russian astronauts were killed b/f safety issues were worked out? I recently show a program on the recordings picked up back in the day, with Russian voices (men and women) appearing to be in distress, with the woman reporting her capsule was getting very, very hot. Apparently, we didn’t hear about THOSE launches.

Don’t remember one early astronaut being killed in action. Of course, if we had been just as careless and unconcerned about lifeas the Russians apparently were, we might have had more earlier launches with accompanying deaths of astronauts.
Dam.n their killing of Laika, too.

Maybe a small issue to you……..not the the astronauts in the programs.

We’ve beat their socks off since then.

So?

avagreen on September 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM

*American astronaut

avagreen on September 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM

avagreen on September 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Dude. Seriously. Have you not seen The Right Stuff?

Like we were soooooooo much better.

Grow. The. F*ck. Up.

thejackal on September 17, 2013 at 6:46 PM

The picture shows this Alert-Looking Russian Gentleman (?) being handed a cup of, what I expect is, coffee.

Vodka overdose?

TimBuk3 on September 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM

thejackal on September 17, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Jackel, I’m not a dude.

So much for your observation skills. On everything.

avagreen on September 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM

P.S. No one died. In contrast to the Russian astronauts.

avagreen on September 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM

P.S. No one died. In contrast to the Russian astronauts.

avagreen on September 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I so hate to illustrate your epic ass-clownery, but:

“Ed White died along with his fellow astronauts Virgil “Gus” Grissom and Roger B. Chaffee during prelaunch testing for the first manned Apollo mission at Cape Canaveral.” – Wikipedia

Oh, and I so apologize for thinking you were a dude. Your tuning fork-perfect arrogant machismo completely threw me for a loop. My hearty congratulations to your masculinity guru and, I can only assume, Chuck Norris for donating the transfusion. Not a speck of femininity to be seen.

Moron.

thejackal on September 18, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Maybe you could put down the remote, stop watching Honey-Boo-Boo and DWTS, pick up a book and learn how to read.

The Right Stuff, by Tom Wolfe, would be a good start, since you clearly have no more understanding of the American Space effort than the average inner city teenager. Or single Mom. Or crack addict.

Nobody died.

You could teach a course in Stupid 101.

OK. I’m done with this one.

thejackal on September 18, 2013 at 4:43 PM

There are entire cemeteries in the Nevada desert that are filled with the men who gave their lives to NASA and the USAF.

Before they were called astronauts, they were called test pilots.

And no-one knew their names.

Just for you, peanut:

\\

OK. Now I’m really, actually done.

thejackal on September 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM

thejackal on September 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM

thejackal on September 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM

thejackal on September 17, 2013 at 6:46 PM

thejackal on September 18, 2013 at 4:34 PM

thejackal on September 18, 2013 at 4:43 PM

thejackal on September 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I hope you realize that in your pathetically masturbatory quest to demonstrate your vastly superior grasp of history or whatever via the above posts, you also succeeded in proving yourself to be an even bigger jackass than the commie Russian POS at the heart of this thread. Because someone else probably told him to post that tweet when he did. Whereas you launched off on your little volley of breathtakingly arrogant, preening, infantile, insult-ridden narcissistic outbursts simply because you wanted to. And after all that, I’m gonna go out on a limb and suggest that you almost certainly succeeded in impressing just one person, and one person only…and being of such obviously keen intellect, I’m sure you can figure out which person I’m referring to.

Seriously, what are you, twelve?

Cylor on September 19, 2013 at 7:04 AM

…commie Russian POS…

Cylor on September 19, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Say hi to all the inbreds at the trailer park for me. Oh, and I think your supervisor at K-Mart wants you back at Register 6.

Moron.

thejackal on September 19, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Remember when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Or was it the Alamo?

–avagreen

If this is the face and voice of the political right, we’re F’d.

And Mr. Cylor, who apparently is a disciple of Duck Dynasty, feels I have been unfair to the mouth-breathing knuckle-walker cited above, then that is just too frikkin’ bad for him.

I have no tolerance for sheer stupidity. And as for his accusation that I “launched off on your little volley of breathtakingly arrogant, preening, infantile, insult-ridden narcissistic outbursts simply because you wanted to…” I can only laugh at the irony.

I’ll bet $20 he dog-eared his neighbor’s thesaurus in his flaccid attempt to construct a tirade to rival my own.

I am proud to call myself a citizen several large steps to the right of the political center. That does not mean I can freely and without fear of criticism fling jingoist epithets at foreign nationals like the whores on Fox News. Calling all Russians “commie bastards” and the French “cheese-eating surrender monkeys.”

What a pathetic display of the political right when all someone can do on HotAir is disparage foreigners for not being American.

This is what the word “respect” means (for those of you who don’t eat off the floor):

You want to hate the Russians. Be my guest. The average Russian would beat the sniveling dogf*ck out of the average American, and have the wherewithal to hump your mother when he’s done.

We have had 50 years of feminism and Dummocrat insanity pumped into our school system. So don’t act surprised.

And just because:

thejackal on September 19, 2013 at 2:07 PM

thejackal on September 19, 2013 at 2:07 PM

You owe me $20, child, since I’ve never watched Duck Dynasty (’cause that’s so very relevant to all this, apparently?) and a thesaurus is the very last thing I’d ever need to deal with the likes of you. Nor would I require any YouTube clips. Rubber gloves might be helpful though as I can well imagine what your keyboard must look like at this point.

That the best you’ve got? Please, continue embarrassing yourself.

Cylor on September 19, 2013 at 7:22 PM

BTW, I wasn’t trying to “rival” your tirade. I was pointing out how pathetic it made you look. But just keep on flexing at your mirror.

Cylor on September 19, 2013 at 7:25 PM