CNN anchor: Who ever heard of a gunman rampaging across a U.S. military facility?

posted at 12:41 pm on September 16, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via Newsbusters. As Santayana said, those who do not learn from history are condemned to broadcast their ignorance about it on national cable news.

Probably 80 percent of the public, I’d guess, thought of Nidal Hasan when they heard the news this morning. I’m one of them; it occurred to me that maybe this was revenge from a sympathizer for the death sentence he got a few weeks ago. Here’s the very latest as I’m writing this at a little past noon ET, though:

That smells like real workplace violence, not the euphemistic version that the Pentagon wants you to believe Hasan engaged in. But if it’s workplace violence, how to explain this?

A workplace violence conspiracy involving multiple shooters is unlikely, needless to say. And it seems … odd that the top cop in the District would casually tell the public that there may or may not be two mass murderers still roaming around. Good luck out there, Washingtonians.

The death toll at the moment is six. At least one shooter, possibly the only one, is also dead.

Comments

FacePalm.

Resist We Much on September 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Lone shooter it seems…

sandee on September 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM

No wonder the lamestream media is so successful reaching the low information voter – they are incredibly low information themselves.

Athos on September 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I find it more and more irritating that it takes the media so long to report the actual news. Everything is always delayed because the political idiots have to have a “news conference” so they can get their fat political faces on television.

Blake on September 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Was he shouting Allah Akbar as he committed this incident of Workplace Violence?
Plus, how was he able to bring all of these weapons into DC with all of its gun-control laws?
Was he a victim of the Sequester?

Another Drew on September 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

TODD: I’m sorry, Carol. I missed that question. Could you repeat it please?

COSTELLO: I was just saying that this is so unusual, because this is such a heavily-secured military facility. I’ve worked in Washington for many years, I’ve never heard of such a thing happening.

TODD: Well, we haven’t either in this area, Carol. This is the first time we’ve seen something like this, at least in many, many years. Now you remember the Fort Hood shooting in 2009, where that was a member of the service who was convicted eventually of doing that shooting.

Obam-amnesia

socalcon on September 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Yep, the Low Information Lame Stream Media… LILSM from now on…

Khun Joe on September 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

She lives in a different reality.

Bizzaro World.

portlandon on September 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

socalcon on September 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

It’s easy to forget, or mis-remember, when you’re a Moron!

Another Drew on September 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I hate that the media start all of this speculation without getting any facts. The best response is to give only what is needed to ensure the safety of others and then wait until the facts are in. The speculation causes more fear and can interfere with the job getting done.

DAT60A3 on September 16, 2013 at 12:51 PM

CNN anchor: squirrel!

ajacksonian on September 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM

O_O

If only this were Faux News, verba could opine on how stupid they are.

Bishop on September 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM

My first thought also was related to Major Hassan’s terror attack as opposed to the Admin / DoD creative use of ‘workplace violence’.

If it is a lone gunman, related to someone’s change in workplace status, how long is it going to take for some political pinhead to lay the blame on the sequester?

However, if the reports of multiple gunmen is accurate, then this sure doesn’t look like ‘workplace violence’ – but more like a terror attack more similar to Ft. Hood.

Athos on September 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM

This is a shiny object intended to distract from amnesty, zerocare, and the spending bill. Do not watch the illusionist’s shiny object.

platypus on September 16, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Clueless at CNN

Schadenfreude on September 16, 2013 at 12:55 PM

“Have you ever heard of it happening before Brian?”

NeoKong on September 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I had a US history professor at Wayne State say a small boat with explosives could never even get close to a large warship like the Maine, let alone cause any damage, and was ridiculing Americans for falling for the lie that led to the Spanish-American war. This was about 6 months after the USS Cole incident, and he was none to happy when I brought that up.

Flange on September 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM

In her spare time, Carol Costello sits on the TV and watches
the Couch…

ToddPA on September 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Shooter at govt facility?

Never heard of it.

-Charles Gibson

Meremortal on September 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Shorter version

“I can’t believe I work with this flukeing dumfruck”

Schadenfreude on September 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Fort what?

That was a workplace thingy wasn’t it?

Was that shoe bomber Muslim or the one on the flight around Detroit or the radical Muslim and that space needle in Seattle attempt?

Yahoo News voters are confused.

PappyD61 on September 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM

#StateRunMediaFail

Pork-Chop on September 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM

D’oh

cmsinaz on September 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Does a police captain ever *not* say there may be more shooters on the loose? And are they ever right?

EddieC on September 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Frankly, Chief Cathy Lanier is probably as uninformed as anybody in the media. There are two streams of information that are conflicting. The Navy/Pentagon stream and that which is coming in through DC authorities. It is all still pretty tense.

Happy Nomad on September 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Bud Abbott unavailable for comment.

DarthBrooks on September 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Fort Hood was not at the center of her universe.News only happens in NY and DC, don’cha know…

djl130 on September 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Everyone’s missing the important question.

Did Sarah Palin have a map with crosshairs over this base?

Chris of Rights on September 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM

In her spare time, Carol Costello sits on the TV and watches
the Couch…

ToddPA on September 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM

OK. That’s funny.

GrannyDee on September 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Who ever heard of a gunman rampaging across a U.S. military facility?

Pretty moronic. Not a surprise but pretty unfreakin’ ignorant.

Happy Nomad on September 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM

djl130 on September 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM

You forgot Los Angeles. You can’t be true mouth-breathing LIV without having 24/7 monitoring of the Kardashians.

Happy Nomad on September 16, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Carol Costello: Nice house but nobody’s home.

BuckeyeSam on September 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I am betting the other “shooters” are probably people involved in the response, not shooters. Their descriptions fit the dress of some people that either work or transit the yard.

Notice the witness descriptions (so far)do not include conflicting descriptions from people who were actually shot at.

But now I am being logical.

Marcus Traianus on September 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM

So when do we find out if this really counts as a local news story or is part of The Narrative?

gwelf on September 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Flange on September 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Well it was Wayne State, what did you expect? Not a university exactly known for its conservatism.

Happy Nomad on September 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Everyone’s missing the important question.

Did Sarah Palin have a map with crosshairs over this base?

Chris of Rights on September 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Well…she DID give the “order” to Bomb Obamacare last week…

…hmmmmmmm.

ToddPA on September 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM

“Sequester” to be blamed for his job getting cut…

MikeInBA on September 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Seems like the guy on the ground didn’t think she could possibly have said what she did…so he asked her to say it again.
And she did.

verbaluce on September 16, 2013 at 1:12 PM

UK Telegraph says death toll is up to seven

Latest:

18.08 The number of fatalities has risen to at least seven, police have said.

workingclass artist on September 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Clueless at CNN

Schadenfreude on September 16, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Indeed

workingclass artist on September 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM

CNN forgets Fort Hood: ‘I’ve Never Heard of Such a Thing Happening’…

Drudge

CoffeeLover on September 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM

To be fair though, Fort Hood is in a southern red state chock full of gun-toting crazies, not in upscale D.C. where the good people live and where crime is nonexistent.

Bishop on September 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Happy Nomad on September 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Most of the professors there were happy to have debates with the few conservatives students. I think they get bored just regurgitating the same thing over and over. The idiot I mentioned earlier was the only one that didn’t. Several people dropped his class the day after he started “teaching” that the lunar landing was faked.

Flange on September 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Just to note on Nidal Hassan is that he did NOT “work” at the place where he conducted his “violence”…..

ted c on September 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM

And not just once, either…three times in a row. Gotta wonder if the field reporter couldn’t hear her, or was confused by her statement.

JetBoy on September 16, 2013 at 1:26 PM

The dumb feeding the dumber “News” does it again.

Texyank on September 16, 2013 at 1:28 PM

CNN’s ignorance would be funny if it weren’t so sad.

Deafdog on September 16, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Stuck in my head

Jane Carol, you ignorant slut!

Jomama on September 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Military bases, consulates, no nothing ever happens in these places.

DDay on September 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM

“Fort Hood? Never heard of it.”
– MSM

AZCoyote on September 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM

‘I haven’t heard of it.’

- Bob Schieffer

He has probably conveniently forgotten about Fort Hood, too.

Resist We Much on September 16, 2013 at 1:41 PM

BTW, over at Yahoo News except for this shooting thingy this is the hottest thread now.

Old comedian outrages debate about Black males. Crickets from Jackson and Sharpton.

Bill Cosby sat down with Don Lemon on CNN and had some harsh words for young black men during his interview. Both Bill Cosby and Don Lemon have, in the past, come under fire for their views on black culture — with the latter drawing ire for agreeing with Bill O’Reilly about racial stereotypes and saying at the time: “In my estimation, he doesn’t go far enough… Walking around with your a*s and your underwear showing is not okay.

In fact, it comes from prison. When they take away belts from prisoners so they can’t make a weapon. And then it evolved into which role each prisoner would have during male-on-male prison sex.” Lemon’s remarks did not go over well, but Bill Cosby is at least as hard on culture when he makes his comments to the CNN anchor.

Cosby talked a bit about having lived in the projects and being poor in the past, also coining a new term — “no-groes.” Bill said: “If you drug these people, and then you release them, and there’s no prescription for them to get to take to do the same thing, and they go back to the same place. Now, about this time, this is when you hear the no-groes jump up and say ‘Why don’t you talk about the good things?’ ” Cosby continued: “Because the good things happen to be taking care of themselves pretty well. We are trying to help those genius’, those not genius’, people who deserve, because they are human beings on this earth, in the United States of America, we are trying to get them in a position so they will understand and want to.”

Bill also told Don Lemon an anecdote about performing with Sammy Davis, Jr., and learning a lesson in humility and admitting fault — he laughed and recalled: “[Sammy Davis, Jr.] said, ‘Bill, saying it loud don’t make it right.’ And so, every loud voice you hear yelling about something, and saying ‘Well you just — you lost us. You became a millionaire,’ the reason why I’m giving you this information is because I was living in the projects. I was not taking care of myself in terms of managing my education, and once the door opened and I saw quote, unquote, the light, I started to become very successful.”

Clearly Bill Cosby is a rich house slave for the white masters now. He’s not down with the shruggle.

PappyD61 on September 16, 2013 at 1:42 PM

‘Frankly, had I known about that, I would have asked the question. I was on vacation that week. This happened — apparently, it got very little publicity. And, you know, I just didn’t know about it. I mean, you know, God knows everything, but I’m not quite that good. Every once in a while, something will slip by me. And in this case, it just slipped by me. If I’d have known it, I would have asked about it.’

- Bob Schieffer

Black Panthers and voter intimidation? Never heard of it.

Resist We Much on September 16, 2013 at 1:42 PM

“Fort Hood? Never heard of it.”
– MSM

AZCoyote on September 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I especially liked how the guy in the field tried to help save her by making it sound as if Fort Hood took place around the time of, say, the Bay of Pigs. It’s not as if the trial had concluded only recently…oh, wait.

BuckeyeSam on September 16, 2013 at 1:43 PM

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
Comes on at five
She can tell you ’bout the plane crash with a gleam
In her eye

socalcon on September 16, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Beside the ignorance, please note, too, the pretentiousness of CNN anchor…”I lived in DC for many years, and have never heard of such a thing.”

Why does it matter that she lived in DC? Because, in her mind at least, DC is a magic kingdom where all residents have unique and complete knowledge.

Deafdog on September 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Brit Hume
‏@brithume
9m

“By the time Pres. Obama got around to his lengthy attack on GOP re: Obamacare & budget, even MSNBC & CNN had bailed out of his speech.”

Twitter

CoffeeLover on September 16, 2013 at 1:57 PM

“That smells like real workplace violence, not the euphemistic version that the Pentagon wants you to believe Hasan engaged in.”

And if Hasan’s “status was changed” just prior to Ft Hood, how would they have reported the perpetrator of the Ft Hood shooting? Let’s wait to find out who he is and why his status was changed.

Dusty on September 16, 2013 at 1:57 PM

0bama briefed about shooting

I’m sure that conversation was about as productive as trying to explain nuclear particle physics to your 3 year old.

UltimateBob on September 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I am disgusted that most military personnel are not allowed from routinely carrying arms on base. For most serving people, carrying a firearm should be mandatory!

MJBrutus on September 16, 2013 at 2:12 PM

She probably never heard of terrorists flying planes into tall buildings either.

UltimateBob on September 16, 2013 at 2:23 PM

The funniest part of the clip is she asked the reporter on location the question where she claims she believes this has never happened before. He doesn’t respond to the bubble headed bleach blonde since he’s probably thinking, “There’s no way this dimwit just asked just asked me if something like this ever happened before.” She then repeats the question confirming her status as head anchor at the Clueless News Network.

veni vidi vici on September 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM

What is scary is that five or six people get their news from CNN.

celtic warrior on September 16, 2013 at 2:40 PM

What a cement headed obimbo

rjoco1 on September 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I always assumed Carol Costello said stupid stuff because she is an Obama shill. Perhaps she is merely an imbecile.

Someone told me she’s an Emmy winner. Is that the same thing as a “Peace Prize?”

IndyinVirginny on September 16, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Well, in her defense I, uh, I, uh, hmmm got nothing. Nevermind.

TerryW on September 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Flashback 2012: Clueless Costello Declared “an end to the Tea Party”

CAROL COSTELLO: Founders of the Tea Party movement say their cause is very much alive, though, that they’ve been called down for the count since their inception. But now with more key members losing their seats in Congress, are we seeing an end to the Tea Party

/bias

Terp Mole on September 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Minority perp conducting terrorist hate crime with AR-15 on US military base…is that a hat trick, or what?

Media to make the whole issue out of the weapon of choice (AR-15) in 3…2…1

Wyznowski on September 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I’m surprised verbaluce didn’t come by to critique CNN.

smoothsailing on September 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM

IndyinVirginny on September 16, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I’m willing to give Carol the benefit of the doubt and go with “imbecile.”

pain train on September 16, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I guess Ft Hood was a domestic disturbance. Who can keep track when it happened so long ago. What do you expect when you overload the networks with Bimbos.

RdLake on September 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I lived in DC during the ’90′s and I also remember there was a shooting in a Navy office (I think it was Navy) in Crystal City. The shooter in that instance was a retired military employee armed with a .45 semi-auto pistol.

quikstrike98 on September 16, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I lived in DC in the ’90′s and recall another shooting in a Navy office in Crystal City. The guy was a civilian worker, retired Navy I believe, armed with a .45 semi auto pistol.

quikstrike98 on September 16, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Okay now I see my previous comment in the posts. Weird, it wasn’t showing up earlier.

quikstrike98 on September 16, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Another Drew on September 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

IF you are going to have a gun-free zone, you ought to have to actually check people when they come in to see if they are carrying guns.

AesopFan on September 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM