Oh my: McCain hinting at retirement in 2016?

posted at 2:01 pm on September 13, 2013 by Allahpundit

Lindsey Graham’s reportedly polling under 50 percent in South Carolina and now here’s Maverick wondering aloud if this is his last rodeo in the Senate. Without the two of them around, who will speak for the dubious “pro-democracy” Sunni insurgents of tomorrow?

At long last, the day of rejoicing is at hand. Or is it?

[At this point two supporters of President Obama cut in to thank McCain for being on "our president's side for once in your life." McCain tells them, "The president and I, he's in his last term, I'm probably in mine, the relationship we have had over the past three years is quite good. Quite good."]

Is this really your last term?

Nah, I don’t know. I was trying to make a point. I have to decide in about two years so I don’t have to make a decision. I don’t want to be one of these old guys that should’ve shoved off.

What he decides will depend, I think, on whether the GOP spends the next two years trending towards Rand Paul’s version of a “modest” foreign policy. Incumbents often retire if it looks like their party, or their views within the party, are headed for a long spell in the wilderness. Maybe Maverick doesn’t want the aggravation of battling, and losing to, isolationists on the Senate floor. With McCain, though, I think he’d consider it his duty to stay and fight for interventionism, especially if the odds of Paul winning the nomination increase. He’d probably relish the opportunity to lead a band of hawks against the new semi-isolationist establishment, especially if President Rand is at the head of it.

Consider the logistics of McCain running for a new term in 2016, though, while Paul is in ascendance within the national party. As I’ve argued before, Maverick would almost certainly rather endorse a hawkish Democrat like Hillary over a dovish Republican like Rand. Is it possible to win a GOP primary in a red state like Arizona in a presidential year when you’ve announced you’re staying neutral or, worse, crossing the aisle against your party’s nominee? I think it’s an either/or for Mac — if he feels so strongly that Paul should be stopped that he’s willing to vote against him, then he’ll announce he’s retiring rather than risk a probably futile primary and go out in a blaze of Democratic-supporting maverick-y glory.

Then again, given the animosity towards him on the right over immigration and his incessant interventionist boosterism, tea partiers in Arizona will probably already be scrambling to defeat McCain in 2015 irrespective of Paul’s outlook nationally. McCain won’t give them that satisfaction; if he concludes that he’s unlikely to win, he’ll pull the plug and then spend the rest of his days in his office screwing conservatives even more gleefully than before. Be careful what you wish for, my friends.

Exit question for righties who think a McCain endorsement of Hillary over Paul would mean nothing to anyone: You sure?

jmm

Update: Hmmmm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Over.

Bmore on September 14, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Hopefully he takes a dirt nap soon.

Fazman on September 14, 2013 at 9:05 PM

33 years too late and his actions in Congress have destroyed any respect I had for his Vietnam service. Just another rich liberal enacting laws that he’ll never suffer from because of his wife’s wealth.

Over50 on September 14, 2013 at 9:35 PM

So, now that he’s helped to destroy the Republican Party and push America to the brink, he’s going to retire. Why couldn’t he have done America a favor and retired 10 or more years ago? Looks like the media will have to find a new “maverick” to prop up and tear down, I hear Rubio is up to the challenge.

Hopefully, he’ll retire from the talk show circuit too. It would be nice not to hear him saying “my friend” all the time.

Ibanez Lotus on September 14, 2013 at 10:13 PM

He should have announced this in 2009!

Another Drew on September 14, 2013 at 10:47 PM

He won’t retire. He’ll have to be beaten. It’s an ego thing.

virgo on September 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I thought McCain was going to wait until he was all white and wrinkly–er–hold on a minute!

Sherman1864 on September 15, 2013 at 4:38 AM

He won’t retire. He’ll have to be beaten. It’s an ego thing.
virgo on September 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Ouch!

Sherman1864 on September 15, 2013 at 4:38 AM

maybe in Ms. Graham is thrown out of the Senate .. McLame will have no choice
no one will talk to him…
and when he talks to himself … they give him meds …

conservative tarheel on September 15, 2013 at 7:51 AM

in=if
shesh

conservative tarheel on September 15, 2013 at 7:52 AM

I doubt that even Arizontans are that dumb.

bw222 on September 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM

You give them way too much credit . I actually thought that too until they re-elected McChipmunkFart

cableguy615 on September 15, 2013 at 9:00 AM

there is no difference between a libertarian and a Liberaltarian.

Quartermaster on September 13, 2013 at 6:47 PM

fify

cableguy615 on September 15, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Repeal the 17th Amendment & guarantee his retirement!

Conservative4Ever on September 15, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Repeal the 17th Amendment & guarantee his retirement!

Conservative4Ever on September 15, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Dittos and add to that the rest of the suggestions in Mark Levin’s book ‘The Liberty Amendments’.

SpiderMike on September 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM

From your writing to God’s ear to McCain’s heart! Please let it happen!

riplag on September 15, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I don’t want to be one of these old guys that should’ve shoved off.

Said the poster boy for “Delusional ‘R’ Us”.

bofh on September 16, 2013 at 1:04 AM

He won’t retire. He’ll have to be beaten. It’s an ego thing.

virgo on September 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I hope you’re right, because it would make me smile for at least two years.

Cylor on September 16, 2013 at 5:52 AM

Hopefully he takes a dirt nap soon.
Fazman on September 14, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Which reminds me, he was older than dirty in 2008. —Regular Right Guy …Full Caf Americano

Mornin Mojo on September 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Juan McLame to retire? There IS a God!!!!

PJ Emeritus on September 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Could not get re-elected anymore, so good deal for our country.

Amazingoly on September 16, 2013 at 3:26 PM

So, you want to retire ? Why wait, do it now. You will be back in the limelight in no time, with your own show on MSNBC.

BillyPenn on September 16, 2013 at 10:17 PM