Shep Smith loses 7 p.m. show on Fox News, promoted to managing editor of “breaking news” division

posted at 6:01 pm on September 12, 2013 by Allahpundit

Megyn Kelly’s moving to 9 p.m. and Greta let on months ago that she’s guaranteed a show in primetime in her contract. Barring an unanticipated retirement by O’Reilly or Hannity, that put Shep, who already has his own show in the afternoon, as the odd man out at 7 p.m. Presumably Greta’s moving there (Erin Burnett’s show on CNN in the same timeslot is similar as a catch-all for the day’s news, politics, and high-profile trials) and Hannity’s moving to 10 p.m., although Fox is still mum on that.

Lest you think this is a demotion, “insiders” tell TV Newser that Smith’s compensation will be second only to O’Reilly’s.

Shepard Smith has signed a new multi-year deal with Fox News Channel in which he will become the primary breaking news anchor for the network. In the process, he will lose his 7pmET “Fox Report,” while his 3pmET program “Studio B” will now be known as “Shepard Smith Reporting.”

In addition to the 3pm hour, Smith, who made his name with breaking news coverage, will now be the breaking news anchor for other Fox News programs. His new role will include a new studio, known as The Fox News Deck…

“Shep is a premier journalist and one of the finest newsmen of the modern era,” says Fox News chairman and CEO Roger Ailes, who came up with the concept. “He will exemplify the ethos that FOX News is when and where the news is, as it happens, no longer bound by a traditional evening format conceived in the 1960’s.” Ailes hinted at the changes during a 21st Century Fox shareholder meeting in August. “Shep and I have been working quietly on something we will roll out in September on how news is presented, a new way to deliver news,” Ailes said.

So he loses an hour of airtime but, in theory, makes it back via cut-ins during other shows to the “Fox News Deck” for car chases, hurricanes, etc. That’s actually a shrewd branding move on Fox’s part vis-a-vis CNN and MSNBC, I think. Fox dominates MSNBC under normal circumstances but they destroy them when news is breaking, partly because MSNBC, per its president, doesn’t much care about news anymore. It’s a left-wing opinion platform. If they’re going to cede the news-seeking audience to their competitors, Fox will take advantage by rolling out a splashy new “breaking news” division. It’ll also help versus CNN, whose ratings surge every time there’s something big happening. Many TV viewers don’t watch cable news regularly but switch to CNN reflexively when they need urgently to get caught up. Some don’t trust Fox for that because they regard it as nothing but a right-wing opinion platform. Solution: Create a special department devoted exclusively to news that’s led by an anchor who’s well known but not, shall we say, renowned for pushing right-wing opinion, then promote the hell out of it. The next time a bomb goes off somewhere, maybe some of those casual TV viewers will turn to Fox knowing that they’ll see Shep, not O’Reilly or Hannity.

One question, though: Doesn’t Fox’s audience, which skews older, like the idea of an hour of hard news at 7 p.m.? Younger news consumers don’t care about that because they get it online, but older audiences were weaned on TV news during the dinner hours. Then again, those viewers have also been watching Greta for years. No reason to think they’d mind seeing her at 7 instead of Shep.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I was never a fan of Shep Smith. This was a good move.

bluegill on September 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Thank goodness. He sucks as a news anchor. Truly bad.

oldroy on September 12, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Called back to the Mother ship? He’s a funny little (well-paid) alien.

Fallon on September 12, 2013 at 6:08 PM

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Stop it, yer killin’ me!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

I think ALL of my ribs are broken!

A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!

Resist We Much on September 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Shep does a good job with car chases and bear attacks. CNN’s ratings suffer because Anderson Cooper cannot cover bear attacks without giggling uncontrollably.

rw on September 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Shep <<<<<<<<<< Greta

BettyRuth on September 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM

If I remember right, Shep once joked on air about how Fox gave the label of “breaking news” to EVERYTHING. Maybe he can fix that now.

Waggoner on September 12, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Maybe he should go to CNN instead.

22044 on September 12, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Being an “older hard news viewer”, I get it from Special Report with Brett Bair and as soon as Shep comes on after, I go to local news.

Smith is the biggest drama queen on Fox and he is really hard to take, IMO.

tru2tx on September 12, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Never was a Shepard Smith fan. Thank you, FNC, for taking him out of my evening viewing on a daily basis.

predator on September 12, 2013 at 6:14 PM

That’s so gay.

rightside on September 12, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Maybe he should go to CNN instead.

22044 on September 12, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Yes. Bill Hemmer should be the anchor. Shep should go where his talents are needed.

oldroy on September 12, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Sounds like a good move – Ailes is the master of his domain.

jake-the-goose on September 12, 2013 at 6:15 PM

o/t

Lois Lerner’s Own Words Come Back To Haunt Her

In a February 2011 email, Ms. Lerner advised her staff—including then Exempt Organizations Technical Manager Michael Seto and then Rulings and Agreements director Holly Paz—that a Tea Party matter is “very dangerous,” and is something “Counsel and [Lerner adviser] Judy Kindell need to be in on.” Ms. Lerner adds, “Cincy should probably NOT have these cases.”

Resist We Much on September 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Come on, can’t they just go ahead and fire him so that he can officially join ‘team obama’?

FREE SHEP!

Pork-Chop on September 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM

The best thing FOX could do to restore some dignity to its network is to toss out THE SCHLEP – a new york d-cRAT who has the IQ of a rock and the emotional maturity of 2-day old infant. But getting him off the 7PM news show is at least a modest start in the right direction.

TeaPartyNation on September 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I’ll always fondly remember Shemp announcing “Pope John Paul II has died” days before he died.

SickofLibs on September 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Smith is the biggest drama queen on Fox and he is really hard to take, IMO.

tru2tx on September 12, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I agree completely, but since I’m West Coast, I’m stuck with BOR or local talk radio on the drive home. I DVR Special Report, the Five, and BOR, and fast forward for what interests me. Mostly Greg Gutfeld rants and Dennis Miller segments.

Shep and Hannity are unwatchable. Greta? Meh.

peski on September 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Gross. I really dislike Smith and his lame impersonation of Paul Harvey.

LASue on September 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Shep is tiresome and obnoxious. I’d rather watch Maddow, and that’s saying something.

All the Fox people are old news. Hannity never says anything new, O’Reilly is a pompous ass (“for the folks out there who don’t have time to…” — could you be any more condescending?), and Greta is blah.

Give Gutfeld three hours. He’s the only one who ever surprises. And maybe an hour for David Tosh, who’s actually amusing when he isn’t doing Jackass and gross-out stuff.

bobs1196 on September 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM

It’s about damned time they canned the sheep.

TX-eye on September 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Finally…

OmahaConservative on September 12, 2013 at 6:20 PM

oldroy on September 12, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I agree about Hemmer, but he’s never on when I watch. I enjoyed him and Martha McCallum guesting on Kilmead radio before Sirius axed it.

peski on September 12, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I will never forget watching the Ft Hood breaking news and
Shep refusing to utter Maj Hasan’s name once identified.
They had the name and where visibly upset that it was muslim and waited.
He mumbled something about it..wish I could remember.

bazil9 on September 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I typically switch to the Weather Channel or sitcom reruns if I’m watching TV at 7, I simply can’t take Shep Smith’s pomposity. If Obama and Brian Williams had a son, he would be as annoying as Shep.

Adjoran on September 12, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Good. I’ll never forget his perfervid coverage of Katrina.

vityas on September 12, 2013 at 6:24 PM

HUMPBOT!

slickwillie2001 on September 12, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Good. He’s awful. And no, he isn’t really hard news, because his inflections totally reveal his feelings about everything. His opinion is very clear.

Greta is way better at “just the facts.” I think it is a great move!

JAM on September 12, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Around The World In No Seconds.

SickofLibs on September 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM

How much breaking news could there actually be in any given day…?
Will it get to the point that a thunderstorm becomes breaking news?

NeoKong on September 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Too bad for all the idiots who thought Rush was getting canned by a bunch of stations and Hannity was getting fired at FNC.

forest on September 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Starting this fall, the new division, with Smith as the main anchor and managing editor, will have the capability to break into any Fox News programming anytime throughout the day, a network statement said.

This is now under his control? With Shep as the anchor breaking in?

Looks like we’re going to be seeing alot of Shep; depending on his cycle and level of freshness.

aquaviva on September 12, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I would much rather watch Greta at 7 than Shep. If this is true it works for me. Give Shep more money to shut up. Makes sense.

Cindy Munford on September 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM

good. I don’t watch him and when I can turn the channel on, all I get is greta–whom I don’t like very much.

ted c on September 12, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Valkyriepundit on September 12, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I love watching Shep do car chases, he sounds like an idiot and it’s fun to watch.

NerwenAldarion on September 12, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Valkyriepundit on September 12, 2013 at 6:31 PM

You meant Allahu Akbar,right? /

bazil9 on September 12, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Megyn Kelly will be dynamite in the 9pm slot, (6PM for us humans on the left coast). I’m guessing her show will cover most of the news for the day, and she’ll tackle/rebut the dumb liberals on specific issues. O’Reilly’s been sitting on the fence for so long, (fearing to take a right wing stance on anything that might offend Obama), he’s got splinters that have worked up into his brain. While he still commands a good audience, his buffoonery is wearing thin.

Rovin on September 12, 2013 at 6:33 PM

That guy makes Tammy Fae Bakker look like a minimalist.

beatcanvas on September 12, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I am one of those ‘older audience’ news watchers talked about. I get most of my factual news on line. I do catch Bret Baier at 6 but bypass Shep. And most of the time O’Reilly.

It will be interesting what Fox comes up with.

TfromV on September 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM

So does this mean that more Fox News programs will be interrupted by the drama queen Shep Smith and his thrilling car chases?

Mark1971 on September 12, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I don’t like Shep, but am not interested in Greta either. I am going to miss Megyn Kelly because I go to bed early…very early riser. All I know is that at 6pm (Central time) I will not have the TV on FOX.

bopbottle on September 12, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Great news, so long Shep, you will not be missed by me.

RoyalFlush on September 12, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Why didn’t Ailes just can Shlep? He should be doing Showbiz Tonight on HLN.

HellCat on September 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Shep “They’re eating babies in the Superdome! Where is Booosh!!!” Smith is a Carnival Clown. I suppose Ailes has done his research, so I suppose the Carnival Clown has a demographic, but it sure doesn’t include me.

Rational Thought on September 12, 2013 at 6:39 PM

They forgot to mention that in his new role he will be reporting as ‘Sheila Smith.’

WhatSlushfund on September 12, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Now, if Fox would only decide not to force Elisabeth Hasselbeck’s grating voice on the world early in the morning and hire a different female anchor for Fox & Friends, I’d be a happy Fox viewer.

polarglen on September 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Rovin on September 12, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I am so sick of hearing O’Really say “I think President Obama is a very smart man.”

Based on what, Bill? You’re just sucking up to his “intelligence” to enhance your chances of getting a future interview.

I say give Gutfeld the Bull O’Really time slot, and send BOR packing.

predator on September 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

WhatSlushfund on September 12, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Is Roger Ailes going to let him use the women’s restroom?

Mark1971 on September 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I really could care less who’s where on the Karl Rove network. How about pimping some One America Network rather then the Saudi funded FNC?

Mr. Arrogant on September 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I always got the sense that Shep was an Obama fan.

bluegill on September 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM

David Folk Thomas was a top and bottom of the hour news reader for the Fox News Channel.

Whatever happened to this little flamer?

OmahaConservative on September 12, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Shep who did you say?

I’m sure I’ve heard about him but he never seems to do anything interesting.

ajacksonian on September 12, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Loses? Really?

When the hell is he ever there to do the hour? A full fledged prim a dona. Too bad B’ore isn’t going with him, speaking of.

De Oppresso Liber on September 12, 2013 at 6:47 PM

VIDEO: Shephard Smith Argues for Public Option

bluegill on September 12, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Ha! I like it!

2nd Ammendment Mother on September 12, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I’d love to see Megyn get BO & Hannity’s hours too…

OmahaConservative on September 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Can’t stand Shep in any format. Like Greta’s show, though. Glad it is on earlier.

Philly on September 12, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Why didn’t Ailes just can Shlep? He should be doing Showbiz Tonight on HLN.

HellCat on September 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Token gay, like Andie Cooper over at CNN.

slickwillie2001 on September 12, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I never understood why he had two. Hours on the first place.

Alana on September 12, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Boy does the iPad mangle stuff.

Alana on September 12, 2013 at 6:54 PM

VIDEO: Shephard Smith calls Viewer Emails to Fox News Frightening, Suggests Racism to Blame

bluegill on September 12, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I’d love to see Megyn get BO & Hannity’s hours too…

OmahaConservative on September 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM

She’s a D in ‘neutral’ disguise.

Schadenfreude on September 12, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I remember all those histrionics from Shep during Katrina. Bashing Bush and declaring folks to be dead inside that stadium. He was almost in tears. All a farce. What an idiot! I get tired of his ill concealed Democratness!

AnnaS on September 12, 2013 at 6:56 PM

SickofLibs on September 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM

That was nowhere near as entertaining as the ‘Jo-Lo incident’.

trigon on September 12, 2013 at 6:58 PM

She’s a D in ‘neutral’ disguise.

Schadenfreude on September 12, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Yep.

predator on September 12, 2013 at 6:59 PM

VIDEO: Shephard Smith Blames “Homophobic” and “Racial Slurs” used in Political Rhetoric for Violence

bluegill on September 12, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I cut the cord a few years ago, so these changes don’t mean a thing to me, but I always liked Shep. Fox has done a good job, I think, of identifying good on-air talent as well as managing all those egos.

changer1701 on September 12, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Off-topic, but remember how universities were/are such big supporters of Ocare?

Ye shall reap what ye sow…

predator on September 12, 2013 at 7:02 PM

When nothing is happening, I usually have the TV on Fox or ESPN. When something is happening, I turn to CNN. That “go-to for breaking news” status is CNN’s to lose rather than Fox’s to win by upping it’s news cred.

Scopper on September 12, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Does this mean I won’t have to look at his “so proud of my/me good-looking self” and the blinding twinkle in his eye when I accidentally click on his worthless program by mistake?

What an improvement.

avagreen on September 12, 2013 at 7:03 PM

That was nowhere near as entertaining as the ‘Jo-Lo incident’.

trigon on September 12, 2013 at 6:58 PM

That is the greatest blooper of all time. I still laugh about that and it is still easily found. He also identified someone as being from Lesbian instead of Lebanon. Hilarious.

bopbottle on September 12, 2013 at 7:04 PM

A step in the right direction.

Right now Fox News is basically just background noise on the tele when there’s nothing else to watch and I forgot to turn it off. I will actually sit down and watch Neil Cavuto (who I think hails from Sunnybrook Farm).

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM

VIDEO: Shephard Smith Mimics MSNBC in Attacking Republicans over Opposition to Pork-Filled 9/11 Bill

bluegill on September 12, 2013 at 7:12 PM

VIDEO: Shephard Smith Says No “Death Panels”

bluegill on September 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM

VIDEO: Shephard Smith Compares Gun Owners to Slave Holders

bluegill on September 12, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Rational Thought on September 12, 2013 at 6:39 PM

This

horatio on September 12, 2013 at 7:20 PM

One question, though: Doesn’t Fox’s audience, which skews older, like the idea that no homosexuals will be part of their prime time line up?

YUP

Eph on September 12, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I would rather see them give Harris Faulkner a more prominent role. Actually, just give her 5 to 7 and move Special report to 7 as the last half basically morphs into opinion anyway.

can_con on September 12, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Aww, moments like these will be missed, now that we know he’s not going to have so much time on :)…

jimver on September 12, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Love Megyn!! Love the new lineup!!

dddave on September 12, 2013 at 7:24 PM

VIDEO: Shephard Smith thinks Carney’s Insult of Palin Hilarious

VIDEO: Rachel Maddow: “All Hail Shep Smith!”

bluegill on September 12, 2013 at 7:29 PM

VIDEO: Shep Smith Scolds Fox Reporter for Supposedly Not Being Fair to Democrat Candidate:

bluegill on September 12, 2013 at 7:34 PM

From what I’ve seen Shep was already handling most of the breaking news on Fox. So basically he has the same duties, got a new title, but lost his show. Works for me. Good move on Ailes part.

Goodale on September 12, 2013 at 7:37 PM

VIDEO: Obama Supporter Shephard Smith Incredulous that Judge Napolitano Suggests Govt Shares Blame for Oil Spill

bluegill on September 12, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Good riddance with Shep, who is a lot like Obama–a great speaking voice, which when you actually listen to the words, doesn’t say much. Greta at 7 PM is a lot better–she can do hard news, yet is unafraid of asking tough questions to politicians on both sides, and has done fair interviews with conservatives.

Megyn Kelly taking Hannity’s slot at 9 PM is also a good move–she is very articulate, less opinionated than Hannity, and very sweet eye candy. Hopefully Hannity still has a prime-time show, maybe at 10 PM when the more partisan viewers will have to stay up to watch him.

But what happens later in the evening? Currently, the 11 PM to 2 AM (EDT) time frame is occupied by reruns of O’Reilly (11 PM), Hannity (midnight), and Greta (1 AM), in that order. If Greta is moved before O’Reilly, does her rerun come earlier, and if Megyn Kelly gets Hannity’s time slot, does she get a rerun instead of Hannity?

Steve Z on September 12, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Wow. And I thought he had already risen to the level of his incompetence. Well at least we won’t have to watch him at it two hours a day.

Lily on September 12, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Shephard Smith is an unprofessional, self-indulgent big mouth drama queen liberal who loves to hear his own voice.

Fox News should get rid of Geraldo next.

bluegill on September 12, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Is Megyn really Democrat disguised as neutral? I do notice she likes Shep.

AnnaS on September 12, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Shep….Hyper Clown interview guru.

PappyD61 on September 12, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I said here at HA, months and months ago this was coming.

Shep wants to do a news block on Fox Prime, just like NBC/CBS/ABC. This is the slow prep towards that final goal.

The odd person out is not Smith, it’s Cavuto.

He’s the prez of FBN and does a catch-all show at 4, that covers nothing new between Smith and The Five.

If Bartiromo signs with FBN, she’ll share/get Cavuto’s FNC slot.

If you haven’t deduce it yet, O’Reilly is calling the primetime shots. He decides who leads in to The Factor and who gets his bump.

budfox on September 12, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Do any of you posters like anybody?

So Shep leaned a little left? Who cares?

FOX is still the fairest of any news’ outlet on television

Listen to ABC, CBS, NBC nightly news. According to them, economy is wonderful, zero unemployment, Obama cures cancer mantra…

The uniformed person who doesn’t hunt for news and hears a tidbit of nightly news…Obama is the greatest and if you disagree you are racist. Nightly weather updates too..climate change …

Redford on September 12, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Bret Baier is undoubtedly (in my mind) the best person at Fox News. Shep is a total clown, O’Reilly is full of himself, Hannity is a literal personification of repetitiveness, Greta can be a bore, Gutfeld is way too hilarious to take seriously as a newsman, and while Megyn is certainly better than the above non-Baier folks, she sometimes comes off as too opinionated.

Aizen on September 12, 2013 at 8:10 PM

i share the majority view that Shep is a weak anchor. My notion of anchor is hard news…not just a giggling bobble head. FNC has good straight reporters/anchors. Harris Faulkner, Shannon Bream for two. Just straight.

I watch Bret almost daily..at least part. Very good. No doubt he would bomb at NBC et al…there voters like the magazine style ‘news’…the state-run media ‘news’…here’s what barry did for you today ‘news’

but as my better half reminded me, it is a matter of attention span. If you flipping around seeing who is twerking today…well, you’ll want somethin quick…and giggly

r keller on September 12, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Shep Smith is supposedly doing “hard news” at 7pm? I ask because I can’t stand the bastard and make it a point to be off FNC before he comes on. Shep lost me after his completely irrational hissy fit in New Orleans after Katrina. Probably the most unprofessional news broadcast of that year.

Happy Nomad on September 12, 2013 at 8:25 PM

This is good news. Shep’s evening slot was terribly weak.

John the Libertarian on September 12, 2013 at 8:27 PM

So Shep leaned a little left? Who cares?

Redford on September 12, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Um….. Rachael Madcow at MSDNC cited Shep Smith as the only fair anchor on Fox News. Says it all, doesn’t it? Part liberal commie and part dog (based on the way he always cuts away from real stories to chase cars).

Happy Nomad on September 12, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Mark1971 on September 12, 2013 at 6:36 PM

That and thunderstorms.
This is going to suck big time if they interrrupt all the good shows all the time.

TX-eye on September 12, 2013 at 8:31 PM

That and thunderstorms.

TX-eye on September 12, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot snow.

TX-eye on September 12, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Do any of you posters like anybody?

Redford on September 12, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Yes, I love Neil Cavuto. I watch his show every day, not only on Fox News but FBN as well. He’s a solid Tea Party conservative with excellent guests, sharp questions and good topics he discusses on his show. Mark Levin speaks highly of him, too. As for Hannity, BOR, Shep and The Five–not so much.

Burke on September 12, 2013 at 8:36 PM