Twelve years ago …

posted at 8:01 am on September 11, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Where were you on 9/11? Twelve years ago today, I sat in my window office in Eden Prairie as a director of a call center in the alarm industry and noticed how nice a day it looked to be as I ate breakfast.  Even though hurricane season had begun in the south Atlantic and Gulf Coast areas, we had clear weather across the board and didn’t anticipate any problems.  Terrorism was an academic subject for debates and foreign-policy think pieces, even though we had seen a growing list of attacks over the previous decade from a network of radical Islamists whose name was hardly on the tips of our tongues.

The attacks came at 7:50 am here in Minnesota, and we found out about them almost immediately, thanks to our connections in the New York area.  At first, we assumed that the plane that struck the World Trade Center must have been an accident with a smaller or private plane, which occasionally happens near skyscrapers, and the news that it was a major airliner left us all bewildered as to how that could happen.  When we heard about the second strike, we knew we were at war — but didn’t yet know with whom.

Like any war, we took our losses that day, and we saw our heroes, too.  The first responders who charged into the  Twin Towers and gave their lives to save others.  The men and women of United 93 who refused to allow a fourth attack and gave their lives to save others.  The civilians and military personnel at the Pentagon who risked their lives to rescue their stricken comrades.  We seethed with anger and promised justice while we cried over the irreplaceable and brave Americans whom we lost, and the heroes we found in the rubble.

It’s been twelve years, and yet any time I choose, I can put myself right back there in that Eden Prairie office, or in my home later that day as we took stock of the heinous attack.  I can put myself on the ground and the shudder of fear hearing military jets take off from the nearby Minneapolis-St. Paul airport over the next couple of days when all other air traffic had been grounded.  I don’t choose to put myself back there often, and when I do I don’t even really need to revisit the coverage — but perhaps it’s best to do so, just to force myself to come to terms with the scale of the destruction and rage.

Where were you on 9/11?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Not Over

Bmore on September 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Happy Nomad on September 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM

What a classless, pompous arse.

kingsjester on September 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I’m not forgetting anytime soon.

james hooker on September 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM

My contribution to today.

Bmore on September 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Hauntingly beautiful song.

Fallon on September 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Don’t forget Benghazi 2012 either.

God Bless all of our fallen heroes.

kirkill on September 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Fallon on September 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I knew he was here somewhere. I had seen him here once or twice before. I am bad not to read these threads. I have to keep my blood down. It seems there is always someone that just has to come on the comments on these threads and soil them. I’m not feeling the need to be banned just yet.

Bmore on September 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM

The aircraft carrier I was stationed on was pulling away from homeport for deployment workups on the morning of 11 September 2001, and we were feet away from the pier when the news broke about the first plane. I was scheduled for watch during restricted manuevering and the second plane hit just before I headed to my watchstation. Our CO announced to us that we’d been attacked by terrorists, including the news that a plane had hit the Pentagon. When my watch was over, I reported back to my shop and we witnessed the towers fall via the ship’s TV sytem. We spent the next week patrolling the coast off Virginia and D.C. while conducting CAP. On a normal day, our radar picture of the east coast showed literally thousands of flights in the air at any given time, and from the bridge, you could see flights continally operating up and down the entire length of the coast. For the next few days, seeing only military flights patrol the nearly-deserted skies was surreal.

We were off the coast of Pakistan putting warheads on foreheads within a few months.

May God bless you and your families and may God Bless America.

Right on September 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I was at work in southern NH when a co worker told me a plane hit the World Trade Center. Went on line to see if there was news and couldn’t get onto Drudge. Finally got onto Newsmax and learned a 2nd plane had hit. I knew then it was no accident. We went into a conference room and were able to pull in with an improvised antenna a spanish speaking channel which a co worker translated for us. When the Pentagon was hit I lost it as we had 2 sons in the Marines and one in the Air Force and I knew we were going to war. After the first tower fell I called my daughter at UNH where she had been for only a few days starting her freshman year and told her to turn on the TV. She was on line with me and reported that the second tower had fallen. In my mind I was thinking that we had 25000 people dead. It was amazing that as horrific as the number of dead were, that it was not higher. WE still have the son in the Air Force and we are still fighting the war. We don’t forget because as a miltary family we know what is at stake but sadly many of our fellow Americans go about their daily lives unaffected by the war and don’t give it a passing thought, they say they support the troops but don’t do amything more than say it. Always remember-

ksmoola1 on September 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Fallon, I think I’ll read the first page of comments. Wish me luck. ; )

Bmore on September 11, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I remember thinking that the world going forward would be a whole different place.

claudius on September 11, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I have a picture of her at Ellis Island…and smiling on the ferry with the Towers in the background.

To this day….she won’t look at the photo…But I keep it anyway.

workingclass artist on September 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM

My oldest daughter wanted to go to college on the East Coast, so we made a family vacation out of visiting a number of schools out there in the summer of 2000. We stayed in NYC for a couple of days, ate at a deli, walked Times Square and saw a Broadway show. Tourist stuff. We attempted to go to Ellis Island but Hubby kept missing the exit ramp. We would circle around and laugh every time we went past the World Trade Center. There is it, again… We gave up and never made it to The Statue of Liberty, though we saw it in the distance, but the constancy, the anchor of the NYC skyline that was the WTC buildings stick with me to this day.

Fallon on September 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Indeed.

My daughter has just begun her Graduate Studies as a playwright in NYC.

My hope and prayer is that she contribute her talents to the cultural dialog in ways that are significant…as a Conservative Catholic from Texas.

She’s on scholarship and works hard and is persuing the dream of her childhood.

The arena of ideas is the arena she has chosen as her life’s ambition.

Conservatives must work in every arena to engage and educate so that We are Heard above the din…So that we restore and rebuild this country.

9/11 changed Americans…and We Must never Forget.

workingclass artist on September 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Bmore on September 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Thank you for that hauntingly solumn song and tribute…

Scrumpy on September 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM

11 years, 364 days later the President goes on national television to try to persuade America to fight with the terrorist group that was behind the attack.

Wow.

ritewhit on September 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I was in Toronto, Canada. Most expressed shock, but a sizable percentage either cheered or smiled at the attacks. I lost any respect had for that city and its people that day. The rest of Canada fortunately stood up to be counted and aided the U.S. in every way it could. But Toronto’s despicable action sickens me to this day.

KillerKane on September 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Scrumpy on September 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Thank this fine Gentleman. He is one of us.

I’m not forgetting anytime soon.

james hooker on September 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Bmore on September 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM

May God bless you and your families and may God Bless America.

Right on September 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM

And May God Bless you,your family and your serving Brothers and Sisters in Arms.

Thank you all for serving our beloved country.

workingclass artist on September 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I had a daily calendar on my desk. Without conscious thought, I didn’t turn the page for another 5 years. There it sat, on my desk. Sept 11, 2001 for 5 years. I don’t remember what finally prompted me to let it go.

I must say, in some ways, I feel like I let a decade slip by. I know it was made worse by the filth in the WH over the last 4 1/2 years.

freedomfirst on September 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Bmore on September 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I’m not forgetting anytime soon.

james hooker on September 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Thank You James Hooker!! {Hugs} :)

Scrumpy on September 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM

My favorite 9/11 tales of heroism:

-The firefighters who charged in to the World Trade Center knowing full well that this could be it. They deserve our highest praise.

-The passengers of Flight 93 who fought back. Their example ought to inspire everyone. Whether you are U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, U.S. Air Force, or U.S. Marines, America’s heroes are yours first, then those of your arm of service. How can you fail with that combination?

-The Captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise, now Admiral James A. Winnifield. The ship had just started its return home to the East Coast when the attacks occurred. On his own initiative, he turned the ship around, hit flank speed (outrunning his escorts) and prepared his crew for war. Now that’s leadership.

KillerKane on September 11, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Fallon, I think I’ll read the first page of comments. Wish me luck. ; )

Bmore on September 11, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I thought, maybe, you knew James Hooker. I actually had his link still up when I hit yours. I was doing that deja vu thingy because they were different links to the same song. I wanted to let you know he was here.

I don’t always read everything, either. Sometimes, I search a phrase to see if someone has already said what I want to say, then post, only to find I still missed it. It had already posted on an early page, or using a link but not the phrase, or using slightly different wording.. LOL We try.

That song needed to be posted, at least, twice. :-)

Fallon on September 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM

We live just off the runway at the Otis Air National Guard Base on Cape Cod. My wife was putting my youngest daughter on the school bus when the F-15′s took off.

They’re always deafening but we didn’t realize that they sound completely different when flown in anger.

We had never before or since heard them break the sound barrier – a low, deadening thud that noted the time that the world had changed.

For the next few days, they flew sorties 24/7 often waking us in the middle of the night. We didn’t care. They’ve always been the “sound of freedom” to us and those nights they were our protectors.

God bless all those who died on that bright, cloudless morning. We remember you.

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

You, sir, should be ashamed of yourself. Mr. Morrissey asked for rememberances of the day, not for insane conspiracy theories. Millions upon millions watched these attacks live on multiple television networks. Tens of thousands of Americans mourn the passing of the 3,000 loved ones on that day. Bits and pieces of the Twin Towers can be found at memorials at thousands of fire stations across the country.

Your peddling of Rosie O’Donnell’s “fire can’t melt steel” nonsense is unseemly at best and pathologically insane besides.

Shame on you…

turfmann on September 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM

In the Pentagon. First plane hit, what the heck, how do you screw that up (I worked in an office where every officer was a pilot)? Second one hit, knew it was intentional at that point.

Jawing over it when a loud bang echoed through the building. One of the guys who worked in the office, his wife was a loggie, she was much closer to the point of impact (we were almost as far away from the impact point as you could get in the building), she started beating on our door, telling us to get out.

We shut everything down, I grabbed my workout clothes, locked the place up and headed out. Exiting the building, could smell what seemed like JP-8 (jet fuel) and could see the smoke. Some TV reporter saw me, came up and asked what happened. I told her I had no idea and kept walking.

Metro was shut down to and from Pentagon, so took an emergency shuttle bus to a metro station that could get me to my station. When I got home, called all my extended family to let them know I was OK. Tough time getting through, most lines were busy. Went on the internet and sent everyone an email to let them know I was OK. Turned the TV on to find out what happened, that’s when I learned that the two towers had collapsed.

The next day, with the building still full of smoke, we got busy preparing for war.

Grinch on September 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Forgot two more:

-Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani’s leadership that saved countless lives and steeled the entire country. He proved himself to be a true American hero. Someday I want to meet him wearing my Yankees jacket.

-All those bombs that bore words of support from our brave warfighters like “FDNY,” “NYPD,” “I LOVE NY” and the names of individuals. I saw one bunker buster bomb with the name of a Queens-based FDNY company on it. What a pity the Al Qaeda animals on whom it was dropped couldn’t see it. Serves them right.

KillerKane on September 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Shame on you…

turfmann on September 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM

That one is worthy of the Ban Hammer turfmann…

Ed, Please do somthing… Akzed is a pariah…

Scrumpy on September 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM

This one still gets me right in the pit of my stomach…I will never forget.

d1carter on September 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Most TV coverage won’t cover some of the reality of that day.

And most of those under the age of 18 today won’t know what that day was really like unless they watch something like that link.

Thank you for sharing that.

ITguy on September 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Remember Benghazi

petunia on September 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM

81st floor of WTC 1.

phatfawzi on September 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Shame on you… turfmann on September 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Thread nannies are awesome.

Look up the links I posted.

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Seven buildings destroyed by two airplanes? How’d that happen?

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 9:16 AM

As a former resident of lower Manhattan who used to frequent the old Radio Row (which was taken by eminent domain to build the WTC complex in the 1960s) let me thank you for admitting your utter and total ignorance of the architectural landscape of that part of the city.

In your addled mind, any building hit by a huge airliner traveling 600 miles per hour would absolutely not damage any other nearby buildings after it was hit.

F-

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Still tough to watch those photographs and videos, but a great song by Alan Jackson:

MrLynn on September 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Oops! Here’s the correct link:

MrLynn on September 11, 2013 at 10:47 AM

To all those who served and are sharing their 9/11 memories…

Thank You and God Bless You.

To all those who are serving or have loved ones who serve…

Thank You and May God Bless and Keep you and those that are serving their country both here and abroad.

To all those who lost someone…We Remember the lost.

Thank You and May God Bless and Comfort you.

To all of you who are posting you memories and your determination to restore our country…You have many standing with you doing their bit in this great effort.

Thank You and May God Bless you and our fellows in this great endeavor.

workingclass artist on September 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM

That song needed to be posted, at least, twice. :-)

Fallon on September 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM

; ) Make it 3 times then. I did good reading the thread. I managed to get all the way through without calling Akzed an ass hole.

Bmore on September 11, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Twelve years ago …
posted at 8:01 am on September 11, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Where were you on 9/11?

81st floor of WTC 1.

phatfawzi on September 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

If you’re able to share more of your story, please do.

ITguy on September 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM

This song and video has stuck with me…

Fallon on September 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM

One of my cousins was a first responder at the Pentagon. She said one of the first things she saw was many small plane fragments bearing the American Airlines livery. She recognized them right away as she was and still is an AA frequent flier.

I was later assured by a Troofer that the AA plane fragments she saw were absolutely not from an American Airlines plane. They were “in fact” from an American military missile.

This despite the fact my cousin was actually there, and the Troofer was sitting in Paris.

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM

81st floor of WTC 1.

phatfawzi on September 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Wow! Glad you’re with us!

d1carter on September 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Bmore on September 11, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Bless you. :-)

81st floor of WTC 1.

phatfawzi on September 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

And, bless you, sir or madam.

Fallon on September 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Watched it all unfold that morning, then took my first solo depositions in a personal injury case later that afternoon. Would you believe it, the PI lawyer actually referenced the attacks on the record as an excuse for why I shouldn’t ask tough questions of his client.

I was numb at that time and part of me is mad for not calling him out on it. I think, though, that the day’s events on 9/11/01 tend to lay petty and insignificant things down. Perspective gained.

brainwizard73 on September 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM

James with your permission of course. I’d like to cue up one of yours to make a meager attempt at thanking all that serve and have served in defense of our Nation. Hanging Out With The Boys. Thanks James! ; )

Bmore on September 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I was in the eighth grade, so that morning I was getting ready for school as usual. My Dad always watched the news while having his breakfast. That morning as I was brushing my teeth, Dad yelled that a plane had hit the building. At first, we thought it was an accident. Then the second plane hit and I remember the instant horror and fear I felt as a 14 year old kid. I went on to school, where my band class watched the buildings collapse live. The rest of the night, I watched the news. I’ll never forget that moment.

nmlaw2012 on September 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM

workingclass artist on September 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Thanks, WCA…

workingclass artist on September 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM

And amen!

Right on September 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM

9/11 : The Falling Man

Katfish on September 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Now we are going to war beside the friends of guys who flew into The World Trade Center financed by the guys who paid for the the attack on the World Trade Center.

Viator on September 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I just came home from school and turned the television on and there it was . It was surreal .

EnglishRogue on September 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Still furious.

[expletive]s.

wolfsDad on September 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Thread nannies are awesome.
Look up the links I posted.
Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I agree. Time to get out the sledgebanhammer. The 12 pounder.

Akzed is an affront to every person killed in the 9/11 attacks and all those who have served and died in the aftermath.

While I pity him for being afflicted with a diseased mind, that doesn’t give him a pass for his peddling cheap “Coast to Coast AM” style theories.

And no, I will not sully myself to look at the ridiculous websites. I’ve seen them before and they are insulting to the intelligence.

turfmann on September 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Last night, I was driving across the Triboro Bridge to Queens, and to my west, I could see the Freedom Tower. It was hazy and sunset as I drove by, and in the haze, you could see the FT standing alone, it’s western side covered in a light orange glow. The haze added an extra softness to the view. Truly one of the most beautiful moments I’ve had in a long time.

blatantblue on September 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I was at my AIT at Fort Jackson, SC (Reservist)….enjoying my Legal School classes on the Law of War when we were called into a big classroom to get the news. Started a crazy chain of events since I was taking 3 weeks off of work as an Architect at the Pentagon to attend AIT.

oceansidecon on September 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM

9/11 : The Falling Man

Katfish on September 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Watched the first 11 minutes. That was all I could take.

That day I was here at my computer, when I saw a news clip (on AOL I think). Emailed the kids, turned on the TV, and spent the rest of the day watching.

MrLynn on September 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I was here.

Meryl Yourish on September 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM

The sky is not as clear and it’s hotter today

J_Crater on September 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Who would have thought that these terrorists one day be our official allies in the middle east?

abobo on September 11, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Good questions, I’ll never understand how that passport could have possibly survived.

abobo on September 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM

On the evening of Sept 10, about 20 coworkers and I loaded a charter bus out of CT to catch the Yankees’ game. After significant rain delay, it was cancelled due to rain. It was a festive, yet disappointing evening. That was the pre-9/11 world. The next morning was different beyond words. How different our lives would have been otherwise!

freedomfirst on September 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Why did WTC 6 collapse? It was barely on fire and two blocks away from the other two towers. Unlike them it had standard construction of Steel reinforced concrete columns. There is no way possible a fire could have collapsed it. So why did it come down?

I understand WTC 1&2 they were just steel perhaps it did weaken in the heat but not WTC 6 which was not even hit by an airplane and three buildings between them did not come down.

Horrible to think that this was planed by Americans and executed by Americans but that is the only logical explanation for WTC 6.

Also how did we know so very quickly Bin Laden was responsible? By the time WTC 6 came down in six hours we knew. Does that really make sense? I mean one year now since 9/11/11 and we have no clue what happened in Libya. So how did we know so quickly on 9/11/01?

Steveangell on September 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM

40 years ago today, a right wing military coup with full American support overthrew the democratically elected President Salvador Allende of Chile, leading to a 15 year dictatorship under General Augusto Pinochet.

libfreeordie on September 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM

What happened to the rubble? There were seven WTC buildings that disappeared, did you know that? Seven?! Not just three, seven. Where is the 400+ floors of rubble? 1,000,000 tons of steel in WTC 1 & 2 alone- where’d it go?

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Best guess China.

The rubble was hidden from public view. Very tightly controlled. Not even the families were allowed to see it. Though someone did go through it and retrieve personal items for the families.

The first commission was headed by Kissinger. Then one of the families asked him if any of his clients would cause a conflict of interest he said no. He was then asked if he had represented Osama Bin Laden. He replied yes.

The bill passed after 9/11 had been written 20 years prior.

Why did all the TV stations not complain about no income because none of them did ads for over two weeks? All the 436-0 votes. None of this made sense. This did not happen in WW1 or WW2 far bigger hits.

Steveangell on September 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM

The day would have been alot worse if it wasn’t for this man.

It’s a disgrace he didn’t receive the Medal of Freedom for his actions.

warren on September 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I just read that article you linked to. And yes, I agree it is a disgrace that he didn’t receive the Medal of Freedom.

This is the person that Jeb Bush should have given the Liberty Medal to also.

Thanks for posting this.

bluefox on September 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I was there and I am never going to forget. Ever.

God Bless all of those who paid with their lives.

God Bless all of those who rose and still rise to the call and served our country.

You are all always in my prayers.

Marcus Traianus on September 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM

libfreeordie on September 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Who the Hell cares?

We lost 3,000 American Lives on September 11, 2001.

We lost 4 brave Americans on September 11, 2012.

Your nonchalance, insensitivity, and inappropriateness are dult noted.

Scram, perfesser. You’re useless.

kingsjester on September 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM

“duly”

kingsjester on September 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Never Forget..I know I will not..

Dire Straits on September 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM

libfreeordie on September 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Allende wasn’t democratically elected by the people of Chile in 1970, he was elected by the Congress, as neither he or his two opponents could garner a majority of the vote.

Attempt to hijack thread duly noted.

F-

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2013 at 12:24 PM

God Bless all of those who paid with their lives.

You are all always in my prayers.

Marcus Traianus on September 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Amen..

Dire Straits on September 11, 2013 at 12:24 PM

1.) I will not sully myself to look at the ridiculous websites. 2.) I’ve seen them before and they are insulting to the intelligence. turfmann on September 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Is that a contradiction, or have you already sullied yourself?

The “rubble” was everywhere – spread thick throughout the streets of lower Manhattan

Dust is not rubble.

and much of it was dissipated by the waters surrounding the island. blink on September 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

How did water dissipate 400+ steel reinforced floors from buildings 1-6, 500k tons of steel from the towers alone, all the office furniture, plumbing, HVAC, etc? A gigantic rubble pile was nowhere to be found. Cars in front of the towers were still visible, uncovered by rubble. It was like the buildings were sawed off and carried away. Or turned to dust in mid air.

I mean, George Stephanopolous and Peter Jennings discussed the lack of rubble on live TV the day after. Were you as outraged at them for discussing the same issue? Or it is ok when talking heads you otherwise mistrust ask the same question?

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Much of the rubble was taken to a landfill on Staten Island. And most of the steel was auctioned off to recyclers on Staten Island and in New Jersey; 2 separate recyclers in fact bought 350 tons of that steel. These salvage companies then sold the steel to recyclers in China, Malaysia, Korea and India. The Shanghai Boasteel Group Corp bought 50,000 tons for recycling into ingots. A company in India bought 10,000 tons, to make kitchenware, at $120 a ton.

F-

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM

On the Upper West Side when the planes hit. We had made it further downtown to our office when the towers fell. Most of us had friends who worked in the WTC and we scrambled to learn of their well-being. With the anthrax attacks that followed, disbelief was coupled by a strong sense that daily Manhattan life would never return to what it had been.

dedalus on September 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 12:29 PM

ABC anchor, Peter Jennings, asked ABC reporter George Stephanopoulos on the street at the WTC: “Jackie Judd and several other people keep asking us, when you look at where the towers used to stand, there is surprisingly so little rubble. Where did all the rubble go?”

F-

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Why did WTC 6 collapse? It was barely on fire and two blocks away from the other two towers. Steveangell on September 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM

You mean Bldg 7. It was across the street from the WTC campus. Bldg 6 was on the campus, and was sawed off and hollowed out as if by a giant drill. And it was not covered with rubble. Neither were Bldgs 1,2,3,4,5.

But it’s somehow denigrating to the dead to mention facts and ask questions.

“Shut up we explained!”

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM

But it’s somehow denigrating to the dead to mention facts and ask questions.

“Shut up we explained!”

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM

You are a moron

Conservative4Ever on September 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I’m talking about the next day.

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 12:39 PM

You are a moron Conservative4Ever on September 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Feel free to correct anything I got wrong in the statement you referenced. Thanks.

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Stephanopoulos: “That’s a very good question Peter…one volunteer, Robert Grelinsky, explained to me the reason there is so little rubble is that all of it simply fell down, into the ground and was pulverized, evaporated.” F- Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Right. 400+ floors of steel reinforced concrete, steel beams, plumbing, HVAC, furniture etc just turned to dust. Happens all the time.

Amazing how some people who usually express nothing but contempt for the media and govt are swallowing some of their handouts with relish.

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Where’s the rubble?

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM

People were wearing it, there were huge clouds of it. I like you and I’m not going to try to get you to stop asking questions but don’t complain when they aren’t embraced. Especially today. Remember that there was nothing but a hole in Shanksville. Speed, trage

Cindy Munford on September 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I’m talking about the next day.

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 12:39 PM

You’re talking nonsense.

You are also seizing an self-centered opportunity to indulge yourself at the expense of others.

In America we have Free Speech…But that freedom is often exploited and abused by self-centered trolls such as yourself as an excuse to indulge their petty baiting.

No reasonable individual will click on your links and your insistence to be heard reveals your total lack of sensitivity to even common decency….and it also reveals your naked need to draw attention to yourself.

You lack self-respect and maturity.

Enough.

workingclass artist on September 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM

By the mid-afternoon all the air traffic over the Twin Cities was gone, except for two fighter jets, circling the metro, weapons hot.

Jeebzuz, what a damn day.

Bruno Strozek on September 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Cindy Munford on September 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Opps laptop. Speed trajectory and the ground didn’t leave anything else.

Cindy Munford on September 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Not Over

Bmore on September 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Sorry, its over.

With the US in the process of giving up all over the middle east, those who died and all the soldiers killed over the past 10 years; now means nothing and I went to all 3 ground zero sites to pay my respects; but it’s over; obama last night ceding to Russia is proof.

For me, today was just another weekday; first time in 10 years.

cougar on September 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Under/Over on when Azked gets around to blaming the Juice?

I got 75 more comments.

Judy Wood has makes her living off of the Folie à deux she has created with her ‘laser cats in space’ blew up the towers.

batterup on September 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Yep, that is exactly right. I remember thinking at the time of the buildings coming down that there was nothing recognizable anywhere and that identifying the dead would be nearly impossible. The fact that they are still finding fragments of the plane and the bodies around the perimeter should show you were are in uncharted waters but it doesn’t mean it’s a plot.

Cindy Munford on September 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM

What is amazing is your insensitivity…Many people posting on this thread lost people they cared about that day.

Some were there at the locations in NYC and the surrounding Metro Area,Washington DC and Pennsylvania to witness these events.

Some have served then or are serving now….or have loved ones who served or are serving.

Some are First Responders who can’t help but remember their fallen fellows in their Fraternities.

Some are in the Aviation Industry and share the same camaraderie and painful memories remembering those who were flying that day and serving their passengers with valor.

Ed put up this thread to offer remembrance…As a constructive means to continue healing through sharing our experiences in something we all shared.

workingclass artist on September 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I was getting over celebrating my 15th birthday the entire weekend before (actual day is 1st Sept)-one of my friends was sick and came anyway so he got all of us sick as well. Some sort of stomach bug if my memory works alright. I awoke around 0900-0930 about the time that Flight 93 was starting to plan how to fight back.

I remember we had dial-up (and I lived about 30-45 min from DC) so I spent all morning tying up the phone line looking at porn like a d@mn idiot 15 yr old and paying no attention to the news. We didn’t have cable TV yet at my Mom’s house as we had just moved (the cable guy was actually supposed to come THAT DAY).

Scared my Mom half to death when she couldn’t reach me. She got home (around noon-ish) and asked me if I’d heard. I made some crack about my Uncle and Aunt (her sister and brother in law) celebrating as they were Muslims. She slapped me like the ignorant idiot I was.

I turned on the radio and we listened to it all day until the cable guy showed up at about 1800. Then I watched. And I KNEW we were at war. Called my grandfather (who just passed this past May) and we talked about Pearl Harbor. I felt connected to him in a way that I hadn’t before. Called Clark and made sure his Dad was okay. Found out his Dad (working for DoE) had seen the plane go into the Pentagon from his office window.

|I had to go into DC on the 12th with my Dad for an appointment with a specialist booked 6 months in advance at Children’s National Medical Center. I saw the smoking Pentagon. And I can still see it easily-provided I close my eyes.

My friends and I made a pact-we would join the military-all 3 of us.
I would lie (about my health issues) to get in and be tossed.
Clark would realize he couldn’t serve due to his health issues and seek other ways-he just passed the bar exam last summer and is now a lawyer clerking for Judge Roy Moore in Alabama.
Scott finished high school in 04 and enlisted in ’08 and got out last November (2012) did 2 tours in Iraq as an intel analyst and left a Sargent (E-5). Left with an abiding hatred of interfering in the Mid-East for reasons that should be all too obvious.

Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)? (Alan Jackson)

Have You Forgotten? (Darryl Worley)

SgtSVJones on September 11, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Whoa!!

Are you a 9/11 truther? Why has this not come up before…or did it, and I simply forgot. In any event, if you are, it sure does explain quite a lot.

JetBoy on September 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Tuesdays and Wednesdays were my days off; I had gotten off the swing shift on time Monday night but it took a long time to get to sleep, so I slept in Tuesday morning. Got up after all planes had hit but before the towers came down. Turned on the news, the way I always started my day and there was a picture of the towers on fire. In my usual wakeup fog I couldn’t comprehend the problem. I made some coffee and came back to the TV in time to see the first tower collapse.

Several times a year I feel compelled to put United 93 in the DVD player and my feelings get very raw all over again. The idea that the current CIC would want us to fight with the monsters who committed 9/11 and Benghazi **enrages** me.

Shay on September 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I was working in the Graduate Admissions Office of a public university in Ohio on the day the planes hit, verifying records for graduate students who had had applied to receive their masters and PhD degrees. The admissions officer came out of her office to say that she heard on the radio a small plane had hit the WTC. We were shocked, but we thought it was just an accident. Then the reports kept coming, not a small plane but a commercial jet, and then the second plane hit and we knew we were at war. I had my very first argument with a coworker that day, because she said, “This is what we get for meddling in other nations’ affairs.” I shut her up quick smart by saying those people killed in the towers didn’t deserve that, it made me so mad, and I never heard anyone else in the office say anything like that in my hearing again.

But the troofers and conspiracists and anti-American morons came out in full force (it was a university, after all), and led to my decision to retire early a couple of years later. I couldn’t stand to be around overeducated, underinformed idiots anymore.

Akzed, you moron, if you want to know where the “rubble” went, why don’t you ask the hundreds of firemen who had to dig through that nine-story pile of it, looking for survivors? Why don’t you ask the construction workers who carted it all away to Fresh Kills landfill over a period of months? Why don’t you ask the people who had to sift through it at Fresh Kills for years, looking for human remains? One of the girders from the WTC stands in a park here in Ohio, a memorial given to the rescue workers and firemen who went to Manhattan to help out. Why don’t you ask yourself, Akzed, why you’re so willing to accept the conspiracy theories of self-serving nutballs instead of finding out the facts for yourself?

RebeccaH on September 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Twelve years ago, I was on my way to my graphic design job at a small regional newspaper. The day before, I had been at the main office in Pittsburgh with some coworkers in order to learn a computer program we would be using for maps and the like, so my car radio had been left on KDKA for the traffic reports.

As I walked to the garage, I thought to myself how beautiful the day was. Then as I was backing my car out, the radio clicked on and I heard the tail end of a report that said “… plane crash in New York City …” As I remember, there didn’t seem to be continual coverage and so I was under the impression on the drive to the office that it was an actual plane crash, nothing more sinister.

When I got to the newsroom, virtually every employee from the general manager to the mailroom were gathered around the several TVs watching the events unfold. I watched in disbelief. Then we all got busy assembling a special section from the reports and photos that were coming through. Some of the copy editors who worked in the evening came in early to help. I assembled some graphics pieced together from initial and rather sketchy reports. We all worked far past our shifts, then we all went home. I continued to watch the events on TV, still in disbelief, but in horror, sadness and anger.

On the anniversary in 2002, we put together a commemorative section of that day and invited reader submissions. My contribution to it was a Polaroid photo of the World Trade Centers that I took on a college trip in 1978 and my memories of looking out from the observation deck to see the Statue of Liberty, which looked absolutely tiny from the heights of the Tower, like a pencil point on a scrap of cardboard.

PatriotGal2257 on September 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Also, Akzed, stop posting under all your sockpuppet names.

RebeccaH on September 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM

What is disgusting to me is this:

President Bush said after this, “The people who did this will hear you”, vowed we would make Al Qaeda pay, and that we would not allow them to have any safe haven anywhere in the world.

Not long after Obama took office, however, he actually HELPED Al Qaeda take over Libya, using our military to do so. These same terrorists in Libya had been hiring Jihadist for years to go to Afghanistan and Iraq to kill American soldiers; yet, Obama orders our military to help then not only carev out a safe haven in Libya but to take over the entire nation.

To pour more salt in the would of the victims on 9/11/01, their families, and our military, Obama hires Al Qaeda-backed rebels in Benghazi to ‘protect’ Ambassador Stevens and the other Americans. When Obama/Hillary are told within an hour of the terrorist attack on 9/11/12, Obama disappears, the CIA’s report is changed 12 times, Ambassador Stevens in killed and dragged through the street, and 2 Americans are betrayed and left to die thanks to 2 ‘Stand Down’ orders…while the CIA is secretly running weapons to Al Qaeda/Jihadists in Syria!

I remember how it felt to watch those planes strike the Twin Towers. I remember the sickness in my stomach watching fellow Americans die, the anger in my very soul at this attack, and the eagerness to go to war when I was told I would be one of the 1st to go to Afghanistan. I also remember the shock and anger when the military was told to aid Al Qaeda take Libya. I remember being in a room filled with my military brethren hearing the about the attack in Benghazi, the anger when we heard Gen Ham had been relieved of command for wanting to ignore the ‘Stand Down’ orders given to specialists trained for this very event…knowing 2 Americans fought alone for over 7 hours waiting for help that would never come.

Today I have many mixed emotions. I still pray and feel the loss and emptiness I felt on 9/11/01 for the victims and their families. I still feel a spark of anger when I see replays of the planes striking the towers. I also feel the same emotions I felt 1 year ago when Americans loss 4 more of its own to the same terrorists Obama has continued to aid. And I wonder, after reporters have interviewed the ‘mastermind’ behind Benghazi pool-side, when Obama is going to be able to find him and fulfill his promise to bring him to ‘justice’.

easyt65 on September 11, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Looks like Akzed is a troofer. omg…yeah, this really does explain a lot. It’s one thing to simply disagree with you…even vehemently. But you’ve reached an epic, new level of complete and utter moronic idiocy with your troofer nonsense.

Dear gawd.

JetBoy on September 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I was already at work and everything I heard that day was a third person account. The people who had seen it were horrified and since I hadn’t seen anything it remained surreal and I truly couldn’t visualize what I was being told.

Cindy Munford on September 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Make autorefresh go away! Damn it! I just lost a long post!

The video which d1carter linked at 10:18 AM is probably the one that Dusty was looking for earlier. I was too. Thank you.

LibraryGryffon on September 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Click here to watch a remarkable video, shown one time only during the 2002 Super Bowl. If this does not touch you, you are clueless.

kingsjester on September 11, 2013 at 1:30 PM