Twelve years ago …

posted at 8:01 am on September 11, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Where were you on 9/11? Twelve years ago today, I sat in my window office in Eden Prairie as a director of a call center in the alarm industry and noticed how nice a day it looked to be as I ate breakfast.  Even though hurricane season had begun in the south Atlantic and Gulf Coast areas, we had clear weather across the board and didn’t anticipate any problems.  Terrorism was an academic subject for debates and foreign-policy think pieces, even though we had seen a growing list of attacks over the previous decade from a network of radical Islamists whose name was hardly on the tips of our tongues.

The attacks came at 7:50 am here in Minnesota, and we found out about them almost immediately, thanks to our connections in the New York area.  At first, we assumed that the plane that struck the World Trade Center must have been an accident with a smaller or private plane, which occasionally happens near skyscrapers, and the news that it was a major airliner left us all bewildered as to how that could happen.  When we heard about the second strike, we knew we were at war — but didn’t yet know with whom.

Like any war, we took our losses that day, and we saw our heroes, too.  The first responders who charged into the  Twin Towers and gave their lives to save others.  The men and women of United 93 who refused to allow a fourth attack and gave their lives to save others.  The civilians and military personnel at the Pentagon who risked their lives to rescue their stricken comrades.  We seethed with anger and promised justice while we cried over the irreplaceable and brave Americans whom we lost, and the heroes we found in the rubble.

It’s been twelve years, and yet any time I choose, I can put myself right back there in that Eden Prairie office, or in my home later that day as we took stock of the heinous attack.  I can put myself on the ground and the shudder of fear hearing military jets take off from the nearby Minneapolis-St. Paul airport over the next couple of days when all other air traffic had been grounded.  I don’t choose to put myself back there often, and when I do I don’t even really need to revisit the coverage — but perhaps it’s best to do so, just to force myself to come to terms with the scale of the destruction and rage.

Where were you on 9/11?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

It really seems like a lifetime ago.

joekenha on September 11, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Remember the Islamist threat.

bluegill on September 11, 2013 at 8:03 AM

RIP and God bless your families on this horrible day.

May the Benghazi four receive justice someday. We will never forget them either.

gophergirl on September 11, 2013 at 8:03 AM

John 14:1-4 ”Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going.”

Alinsky on September 11, 2013 at 8:06 AM

…people have forgotten…it makes me weep!

KOOLAID2 on September 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Never forgive.

Never forget.

ajacksonian on September 11, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Never forget.

VibrioCocci on September 11, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I’m as angry today as I was 12 years ago this morning.

May God comfort those who lost loved ones, and whose lives
were forever changed that day.

God Bless America

ToddPA on September 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I was listening to the KQ92 morning show as the news rolled in, first one plane and then a radio guy said “Holy shiite! Another plane hit the other tower but it was a jumbo jet!” I knocked everyone off for a while and we watched it happen live, then I told everyone to go home for the day and be with your fams.

Bishop on September 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I went about doing what I did every work day, which, working from home, included starting the day at 6AM and not having distractions of the outside world of radio and TV when I started work at 7AM. It wasn’t until a friend I was consulting with called around 9:35 to coordinate a work on a project that I found out what had occurred.

I went down stairs and turned on the TV and watched for a bit, then carried a portable to the office and called family. I finally got back to working around 11, as I had a deadline to get something out that day.

After 5 PM, I was glued to the TV. It was a terrible day, and I didn’t get but a couple hours sleep that night.

Dusty on September 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Remember how polite everyone seemed to be that day? Even on the roads it’s like people needed to be nice when just the day before they would have tailgated and waved the bird. Dudes on overpasses waving flags, youngin’s driving around in pickups holding signs and flags; man, now it’s like it didn’t even happen.

Bishop on September 11, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I had recently been laid off and was at home. My wife called and told me about the small plane that had crashed into the WTC. I turned on the news and was watching as the second plane hit.

The economic impact kept me unemployed or underemployed for the next six years. My wife and I had planned to have another child but could not see how we were going to afford it. As it was, I had to default on several credit cards and nearly lost my home to foreclosure.

I will never forget.

Kafir on September 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM

12 years later Ed, An American President wants to aid the very same blood thirsty savages in Syria that gave us 9/11.
We’ve come a long way baby. Not.

FlaMurph on September 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM

San Diego for work. Flew out without my driver’s license on 9/10 using my company ID and SS card (not sure why I had the latter…). I remember the ticket agent saying it would be “no problem” getting back home, and she was right, though it was interesting being on one of the first flights home on 9/14. All the knives had been removed from the in-flight meal and the captain went down each isle of the plane before we took off making eye contact with every passenger.

I remember how quiet the skies were that week, even the Marine jets weren’t too much in evidence around San Diego. Still don’t like going there myself Ed.

Rufus on September 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Where were you on 9/11? Twelve years ago today

In Los Angeles getting ready to fly back to the East Coast for a college reunion. My radio alarm went off about the time the Flight 11 crashed into 1 WTC. The initial news reports were about a “commuter plane” which apparently left the impression of a Cessna or Gulfstream. By the time I had finished getting dressed, the mood on the radio had imperceptably changed. They didn’t know what was going on but gone was the usual levity. I decided to turn the news on just in time to see video of Flight 175 crash into 2 WTC.

Driving into work, the news was still half-heartedly holding out the possibility of really bad “navigation errors.” Then Flight 77 hit the Penatagon erasing even that slim hope.

The rest of the day is pretty much of a blur though, not until it happened, did it ever occur to me that those towers were going to come down. I found out later that my brother had spent the previous weekend moving from mid-town to a new apartment in the shadow of the WTC (he was displaced for months).

To this day, I’m not sure I fully know where my emotions are when it comes to this atrocity. It hit too close to home for me. I knew and work with people who were directly involved at both the WTC and Pentagon. I’ve known people who subsequently died in military operations in Afghanistan and Iraq. I seldom get the sense that 9/11/01 is something we should be “over” by this point. Though the National Cathedral thinks otherwise- shameful.

Happy Nomad on September 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I had just worked a rare weeknight night shift at Fairview University Hospital on the University of Minnesota campus. I walked the Washington Ave bridge to the West Bank for a morning political science class. Our professor came in and told us what happened. She then simply said, “My cousin worked in the towers. He is missing. Class dismissed.” And she walked out. I never did find out what happened to him.

Hat Trick on September 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I thought it was a joke at first. Heck , I was a young pup just moved in really with the wife. We were sitting there and I asked her if she was watching like a re run of some prank show and if it was, it was in poor taste.
Then it sank in. At the time I understood but did not if that makes sense. As I grow older I get much more upset by that day. Its something I hope my kids never need to experience.

Too add insult to injury, dog eaters wife is going to be here in town tomorrow… how sickening that her husband wants to help those that want to do this to us again and again.

watertown on September 11, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I wonder if someone can help me out. Ever since that long video slide show tribute to the victims featuring Enya’s “Only Time” came out, the really long one that thanked Guiliani, Pataki, and Bush at the end, I’ve watched it on the anniversary of 9/11. I used to have the webpage link to it on bookmarks but my HD died early this year and now I don’t have it. I searched for it last night and first thing this morning, but for the life of me I cant find it and keep getting all sorts of other “Only Time” tribute knockoffs.

I also had links to some of the first 911 sites which still existed last year, but those links are lost too and search engines results are all populated the newer stuff, museum crap, and big media self promo stuff.

Links to anything more grassroots oriented would be appreciated, especially that slide show vid.

Dusty on September 11, 2013 at 8:30 AM

And 7 years later we elect a guy named Barak Hussein Obama whose past life is not allowed to be vetted as we consider who’s going to run the country.

Wonderful.

Cleombrotus on September 11, 2013 at 8:32 AM

It was almost 6 AM here on the West Coast, and as I left for work, I told my wife that I heard on the radio that a small plane had hit a tower of the World Trade Center. Groggily she decided to go downstairs and turn on the TV.

Meanwhile I got in my car and headed to the gas station, while listening to the news reports. After I filled up my tank, I turned on the radio again and the announcer was referring to a SECOND plane that hit the SECOND tower. It was at that point that I knew.

aunursa on September 11, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Here’s a thought to ponder: Will we even remember 9/11 after the events unleashed by the Dear Liar take place?

It is looking like Iran will have much more smooth sailing in building a nuclear weapon, the relative few that perished on 9/11 will be greatly over shadowed by the millions that will die when one of our seacoast cities are obliterated by a freighter borne terrorist Nuc.

Thanks a pant load to you idiots who voted for your fellow idiot in the WH.

Galt2009 on September 11, 2013 at 8:32 AM

And the networks still haven’t released the footage they have of people jumping and falling from the towers. Gruesome, yes, but like the song says they should show it every damn day during primetime to remind the populace what sort of savages we are up against.

Meanwhile, those same savages are sneaking across our porous, unsecured border because the global-village kumbaya crowd says it’s racist to do anything about it.

Bishop on September 11, 2013 at 8:36 AM

AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America! God shed His grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet,
Whose stern impassion’d stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America! God mend thine ev’ry flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law!

O beautiful for heroes proved In liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved,
And mercy more than life!
America! America! May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness,
And ev’ry gain divine!

O Beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam,
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America! God shed His grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

ToddPA on September 11, 2013 at 8:36 AM

To this day I can’t figure this out…I was living in Conn at the time, and in my apt living room I had a large framed photo of the NYC skyline with the Twin Towers at the center. I had one of those brass picture lights screwed into the wall above the pic. As I was walking out my door to head to work in the city that morning, the light somehow came out of the wall and fell upon the glass on the picture. I remember stopping a second to look at it and just thought to myself That’s weird, it was pretty well screwed in, I’ll have to fix that later. I later learned it was the exact time of the first plane hitting.

True story.

JetBoy on September 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Happy Nomad on September 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Anyone who says that is in denial and purposely wants to forget. Wants you to forget. Sorry, we’re not forgetting.

thebrokenrattle on September 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I saw the second plane hit, live, watching TV. I remembering thinking and feeling that we were under attack. I stood in front of the TV for a few minutes trying to figure out what to do. I ended up watching TV for three days straight. I was numb for a lot of that time.
Thank God George W. Bush was president rather than Al Gore.

ExpressoBold on September 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I was in uniform on temporary orders for the California ANG at Moffett Federal Airfield, CA. We watched the morning tragedy unfold in our training room. My appendix burst around 11 am (PST) and I was rushed to the hospital. I woke up after surgery and the nurses filled me in on the days events. I voulnteered for Operation Aerosafe and spent 6 months at San Jose International guarding the airline checkpoints with fellow Guardsman and San Jose Police Officers. I will never forget that undeniable realization and anger when the second plane hit. Remeber the fallen and their families!!!

dddave on September 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM

watertown on September 11, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Oh, so you get her on the one-year anniversary of when the thin-skinned rat and Hillary Clinton lied their asses off about what happened at Benghazi. We now know that there was no spontaneous attack due to a YouTube video. We know that there were no bands of Libyans running to defend the American consulate. We know that those photos of Christopher Stevens being carried through crowds was not in an effort to get him to a hospital. We know that justice did not come swiftly to those who did it. And, of course, we know that the whole incident is being covered up to protect higher ups in State, Defense, and the Oval Office.

What we don’t know is who left those streaks of blood on that column in the consulate. We don’t know how the four victims died. We don’t know why there was a very large CIA presence in Benghazi (though we can guess).

Happy Nomad on September 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM

The day would have been alot worse if it wasn’t for this man.

It’s a disgrace he didn’t receive the Medal of Freedom for his actions.

warren on September 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM

God Bless the the 9/11 Families….And those serving in our Military.
God Bless our veterans.

May St. Michael and St. Florian protect Police and Fire Fighters….and May God protect and guide our First Responders.

9/11 was a day of grief and anger…It was the day my young daughter like many other children in America discovered evil in the world and trying to explain that fact, while shoring up her faith in God was a hard day for me as a parent as it was for many parents throughout the country….Our grief for the families of those lost and injured weighed heavy and you could feel it everywhere.

We were careful about the TV when she was in the room during those weeks afterward.

We gave blood at the local blood bank that day…and this has become an annual memorial event.

We went to Mass and prayed for our fellow citizens in NYC,Washington DC and Flight 93 in Western Pennsylvania.

That evening before my daughter went to bed…I listened as she said her prayers and at the end of them she prayed that God guide her president in his decisions.

workingclass artist on September 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Here in Lancaster, OH (I lived out in the county, then)I did a lot of charity work then. That particular morning I was getting ready to do a weekly paper run; we collected newspapers, etc., took them to a Sonoco-run recycling plant (since closed due to the machinations of the federal EPA), and the money we collected went to a nurse’s training program at the county hospital.

I was watching the Today Show when they said a plane had just hit the WTC. I immediately flashed back to the 28 July 1945 crash of a U.S. Army Air Force B-25 Mitchell medium bomber into the Empire State Building. I recall hoping it was either a local news helo or, at worst, a commuter flight.

I turned on the VCRs (I had two), and set one on OTR on NBC, then shoved a blank tape in the other and OTR’d Fox News.

In doing so, I saw the second plane hit. My thought was “OK, this is an attack; they’ve probably hacked the ATC/GCA computer system at JFK. time to shut everything down until we find the hack.”

No, I didn’t realize at the time that I was looking at a suicide attack.

My best bud, the E-5, was my partner in the run (I drove, he loaded). I got to his house just in time for him to say “the first tower just went down”. We watched the “instant replay” on TV.

We followed the story the rest of the morning on my Jeep’s radio. By the time things had shaken out, we had pretty much figured out what had happened.

Strangely, perhaps, I wasn’t angry then, and I’m not angry now. Neither was he. Our reaction was “It’s surprising it took this long to happen”.

The attacks worked because three decades of “political” airline hijackings had resulted in a de facto detente’. The hijackers grabbed a plane, landed it somewhere, and made demands. Whether those demands were met or not, most of the passengers and crew were, in the end, always released unharmed.

The job of the hostages, to put it bluntly, was to be good little sheep and not piss off the wolves.

The 9/11 hijackers changed the rules. They didn’t want “demands” met; they just wanted weapons they could kill with. Namely, a couple of hundred tons of metal, jet fuel- and people- traveling at 500 knots. They got what they wanted.

The only exception was United Flight 93. There, once the “sheep” realized that the wolves were rabid, they turned into sheepdogs.

Incidentally, while we remember this 9/11, and the “anniversary” attack in Benghazi, we should recall why it was on this date to begin with;

Battle of Vienna

The Battle of Vienna (German: Schlacht am Kahlenberg, Polish: Bitwa pod Wiedniem or Odsiecz Wiedeńska, Turkish: İkinci Viyana Kuşatması) took place on 11 and 12 September 1683 after Vienna had been besieged by the Ottoman Empire for two months. It was a battle of the Holy Roman Empire in league with the Polish- Lithuanian Commonwealth (Holy League) versus the Ottoman Empire and chiefdoms of the Ottoman Empire, and took place at the Kahlenberg mountain near Vienna.

The 9/11 attacks were, at least partly, a “riposte’” for an historic Islamist defeat.

Just as today’s “Million Muslim March” through Washington is, at least in part, a proclamation of their perceived victory.

Islamists have long memories, and do so love their “anniversaries”.

/just something to think about

clear ether

eon

eon on September 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Bishop on September 11, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Every year around this time the TV schedule is replete with every manner of tribute and story of that day – EXCEPT footage of the actual attack and its very tragic aftermath.

Once again the New-Commie Left has hijacked a tragic event for their own selfish political use.

Galt2009 on September 11, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Celebrating our 19th wedding anniversary. This is not radical Islam. This is Islam.
And our government refuses to acknowledge it.

TfromV on September 11, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I still say this is one of the spookiest pics from that day, I stare at it and wonder about the people on board just seconds from immolation; it makes me shudder.

Bishop on September 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I was stationed at a joint service airbase in Houston.Within 30 minutes of the 2nd tower being hit 6 F-16′s scrambled at like mach 20.I found out later they went to secure airforce 1.In less than an hour we had a 50 cal set up at the main gate and 60′s around the perimeter.

docflash on September 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM

We’re still unwilling to name the enemy. Our rhetoric still days we were at war with a tactic.

These were religious acts carried out by deeply religious men. Nobody’s religion has been “hijacked”. It’s clear as day if you just read their “holy texts”. It isn’t particularly complicated stuff.

Never forget? We’ve learned nothing particularly useful.

happytobehere on September 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Electing a fake Christian, son of a Muslim and 2 commies, seven years after 9/11 was a Stockholm Syndrome response to the catastrophic Muslim attack on America. The effects will be felt for many years to come.

Basilsbest on September 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I’d got up early to get ready for a class I was assisting with at a local high school. I’d logged on to an online forum I used to frequent, and as soon as I entered the board I saw a message from someone, all in caps: “TURN ON YOUR TV!!” I didn’t think twice–ran from my home office to the living room and turned on the tube. They were replaying images of the first plane striking one of the towers. I thought it was a tragic accident, until I saw the second plane hit–then I knew it was no accident. On my way in to class I was glued to the radio, listening to the reports. In class the teacher gave up and just turned on the tube so we could watch–we saw the towers come down. Everyone was bewildered and scared, although one boy kept insisting this would mean war and he was ready to fight (wonder if he followed through on that?). I went home in a fog, and stayed glued to the tv the whole rest of the day.

The first airplane that went over my house after that week of quiet freaked me out at first, but then I cried. We were back to “normal,” although nothing was really normal after that.

My spouse and I flew to Japan to visit friends a month after the attack. The plane was nearly empty both ways (it was a United flight), and one of our Japanese friends asked me how I had the courage to fly and visit them, after what had happened. I told her I’d doubted first that they’d attack a plane headed to Japan; and secondly, as a Christian, I knew that even if they had, I’d be in heaven if I died so I wasn’t afraid to die.

I did have a couple of moments of panic, though, when we took off and landed–I figured, if anyone was going to strike it would be there. I’m not afraid to die–it’s the how I die that’s a bit worrisome.

I had nightmares for a week or so afterwards–I’d dream of shopping malls being bombed. An Israeli friend on that online board I’d first heard of the attacks on said, “I am grieved to know that now my U.S. friends know what we go through.”

theotherone on September 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I was driving back home after dropping the kids at school, and I heard Diane Sawyer on the radio talking about it. At the time I truly thought Diane was being an alarmist, but as soon as I turned on the TV, I knew this was bad- really bad.

Later that day I went into Walmart to get bottled water and batteries, and I remember the shock and panic that was on EVERYONE’s face. No one knew what else was coming-

This morning? All I can think of, is what a disaster it would have been if Obama had been sitting in the White House when this happened.

BettyRuth on September 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM

After seeing the film clips this morning of Bush and his reaction and strength – I just to had to sit down and cry.

The stark difference between how he handled this monstrous event and the very shadow of a man, the p*ick we have now, it is breathtaking.

tru2tx on September 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM

workingclass artist on September 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Best posting I read on here.

Thank you for sharing this.

ToddPA on September 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM

12 years ago I was working at home when a friend called me. He said to turn on the tv. I did. The first words out of my mouth were: they messed with the wrong country. Yes, I literally said that. I was pissed. I was naive.

12 years later we’ve got a lot of dead muslims and tragically a lot of dead servicemen and women too. But the crazies are still breeding and our President is doing his best to see that they get what they want. Their way of life is so backward. and they spend so much time killing each other, that I don’t think a few more bombs has any effect on their future behavior. You need to go big or go home.

12 years from now we’ll probably still be trying to nation-build in all the wrong places. With the remnants of our bankrupt military. Who knows, maybe this Saudi Arabian idea to turn us into mercenaries will catch on. It takes more than just a few domestic troubles for a bureaucracy to give up on its cherised plans.

Fenris on September 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM

What a terrible day…..and the days after were worse. I can’t believe how that video STILL affects me. I still feel shock, horror and blubbering.

We’ve come a long way baby. Not.

FlaMurph on September 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Say what you want about “W”, he was the right man for the job…..have I said yet today how much I loathe Obama.

tencole on September 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Happy Nomad on September 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Yep and this is not open to the public. She is speaking to the high schooler ( God save them PLEASE LOL ) about healthy eating habits of all things.

The disgust to see any politician support wanting to help the rebels or any side is Syria disgusts me. I still have a hard time watching the whole thing unfold when I watch the clips from that day. Its brings out a very ugly hatred that I do not really ever show… but this gets me going.

watertown on September 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I can’t forget. I saw the live coverage as it happen and had friends in the buildings. At least they were some of the lucky ones that escaped. Watching the second plane hit a coworker said, “What do we do now?” I just looked at her and said, “If I had my way I would hunt down every person involved, kill them, their families, their friends and their dogs.” I din’t know at the time that muslims wouldn’t have dogs. Instead, we now bow to one of the most despicable religions ever devised.

Dr. Frank Enstine on September 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

tru2tx on September 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Yes the look and his reaction says it all. All set aside for the political issues he may have had, he was a true leader when the country needed him. You step back and look at what we have now… Obama would have pissed his pants and freaked out. Then he would apologize to who ever had done it to us.

watertown on September 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM

We’ve come a long way baby. Not.

FlaMurph on September 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM

It still astonishes me that, a mere 7 years after 9/11, a majority of American voters made Commander-in-Chief a man with absolutely no military or foreign policy training or experience; a man who was friends with anti-American terrorists like Ayers and Dohrn, and even launched his political career from Ayers’ home; a man who called himself not a proud American but a “citizen of the world;” a man who derided the notion of American exceptionalism; a man who characterized the Muslim call to prayer as “one of the most beautiful sounds in the world,” boasted about having a Muslim father and stepfather, and cited his childhood years in a Muslim country as one of his qualifications for the U.S. presidency; a man who, just days after 9/11, had attributed the actions of the 9/11 terrorists to ignorance and poverty, rather than Islamofascism.

Is it any wonder we’re in the fix we’re in now?

AZCoyote on September 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM

n some ways it does not seem like it has been 12 years since the worst Terrorist Attack ever perpetrated on American soil.

In other ways, it seems like an eternity.

That horrible day was so surreal. It seemed to me like I was stuck in a nightmare.

Certainly this couldn’t be happening to us? We’re the greatest nation in the world. Who in their right mind, would dare attack the United States of America? Who would be brazen enough to attack us, using instruments of our own design? Who would actually dare flying planes into the Twin Towers, a living symbol of American Prosperity?

For that matter,. who would fly a plane into the Pentagon? The Seat of Power behind our nation’s awesome Military, the finest collection of Fighting Men and Women on Earth?

It was not a nightmare. It was a reality.

And, here we are, 12 years later…with haunting memories and an empty suit.

kingsjester on September 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I was getting ready for work, and just happened to have Fox & Friends on. I was managing a Citgo, and we ran out of just about everything within a few hours. Gas first, of course.

That evening, the most eerie thing was the lack of air traffic in the area.

I’ll never forget. Never.

Ugly on September 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM

‘We deserved it’—-The Left.

PappyD61 on September 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM

RIP Bob Dolan (Pentagon)
RIP Mike McGinty (NYC)

We will never forget.

Your Classmate, Joe

Khun Joe on September 11, 2013 at 8:58 AM

[james hooker on September 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM]

Very nice, Jim. Thanks.

Dusty on September 11, 2013 at 8:58 AM

BettyRuth on September 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Well if past history is any indication……..

We’d get an unrelated “shout out” followed by an admonition that we shouldn’t jump to conclusions about what happened. In the end it would be the worst workplace accident in history.

Happy Nomad on September 11, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Picture the joy of a wedding.

Visualize it being you, or your child, or your friend getting married.

Then imagine the horror when, exactly one month to the day later, the bride is killed in the 9/11/2001 attacks on WTC.

Rest in peace, Sara Manley Harvey. You were a beautiful woman, inside and out, a friend to many and still greatly missed.

ITguy on September 11, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I was at Osan AB, Republic of Korea. Another Airman and I had just finished monitoring the evening training mission, and were down in the Squadron office checking the Internet, and noticing the connection was amazingly slow. Then we got to a news sight. About that time, the Squadron XO came in and told us we should come into the break room and see the news. We stayed there watching AFN until 3AM local, speculating on everything that was happening in the SAOCs, operations centers, NORAD, and etc., as well as manning the phones for the inevitable calls that were coming our way. When we were walking home, we noticed that security forces had already strung out the concertina wire that was usually only out during exercises. After about 2.5 hours of sleep, it was back to the office for an intel briefing and the start of a new day, in more ways than one…

Tremor on September 11, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Bishop on September 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM

It was stunning to watch the second plane hit…and then the wave of nausea as I tried to wrap my head around what I’d just seen.

My mother (God rest her soul) was in a panic of grief when people started jumping from the windows…I drove over to her house to try and calm her down.

She was convinced she was re-living Pearl Harbor which she’d listened to on the radio as a child and my brother and sisters spent most of the day taking turns with her.

After I left Mom’s house…we picked up our daughter as her Catholic school dismissed early. The Principal had typed up a letter to help parents cope with news coverage and the potential stress on children and to post a special Mass and vigil that evening….Confession was added to the schedule for the afternoon and the chapel was filled with parents lighting candles throughout the day. The Priests of our parish were busy.

The lines at the blood bank were long that afternoon but the staff was courteous and expert at moving things along….Nobody spoke much in the lines as they waited to give blood but folks were careful and considerate of each other.

workingclass artist on September 11, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I was stationed at Ft Irwin, CA….I ran to work at the hospital that morning, a beautiful crisp desert morning. I remember a cook said something about a bomb at the world trade center in NYC. I saw the distant shots of smoke billowing off the towers….

ted c on September 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Every year I do a live blog/live tweet of the events of 9/11, a “Where were you then?” kind of thing. This is the first year I have not done so, but you can look at last year’s if you like.

The link is here. The most recent post is at the top, so you’ll have to scroll all the way down and read up. Actually, it’s even a couple pages of posts. The first post from last year is on this page, and starts at the 5:33 am time.

Chris of Rights on September 11, 2013 at 9:09 AM

If you can listen to Glenn Beck now he plays the same memorial every year.

Very moving.

VibrioCocci on September 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I turned on the news in the morning and began seeing reports of the first plane thinking to myself, what a tragic accident. I went to leave the house and realized I had left the television on. As I went to turn off the television the 2nd plane hit. That was when I got the sinking feeling in my stomach.

Went to school straight to the library where the librarian had the news on. Most teachers attempted to cover something that day in class and not discuss what was going on. The entire student body knew we were at war, we just didn’t know who with.

Very few faculty at the school actually understood high school aged kids could be trusted with what was really happening. The library was where everyone spent all of their time between classes and during free periods.

It is extremely frustrating now looking back that the faculty did not have the decency to allow the students to be in the loop as to what was going on, save one brave opinionated librarian.

Several teachers actually went to the principal to close the library so that the students wouldn’t have up to date information to share with other students during class.

I sat in that library with 2 classmates who would both end up losing their lives while serving this country in Afghanistan within the next 5 years. Sad that the other faculty didn’t trust their ability to cope with what was going on the day of the attack.

weaselyone on September 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Remember the Islamist threat. bluegill on September 11, 2013 at 8:03 AM

They had nothing to do with it.

What happened to the rubble? There were seven WTC buildings that disappeared, did you know that? Seven?! Not just three, seven. Where is the 400+ floors of rubble? 1,000,000 tons of steel in WTC 1 & 2 alone- where’d it go?

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

12 years ago today, we had just moved to Dallas. My son yelled down the stairs, “A plane hit the World Trade Center.” I yelled back, “Stupid sightseeing pilot. Get in the car it’s time to go.”

Listening to the news on the radio after dropping the kids off I had tears flowing down my face. I got home, turned on the TV and saw the first tower fall. I was paralyzed with disbelief. A sweet elderly neighbor from South Africa came over. He said, “I know you just moved here. No one should be alone right now.”

Then, I dug through the boxes and found my flag. I couldn’t find the brackets, so I took a staple gun and stapled it up across the front porch. That’s all I could think of to do. Later in the day, I saw that many, many of my neighbors had done the same thing. There were American flags everywhere. It felt defiant. I have always loved the flag, but that day, I understood better the words “for which it stands…”

One week earlier, I had left my oldest daughter off in upstate New York to start her freshman year in college. She emailed mid-morning saying don’t try to call me, I am fine. I wasn’t really worried other than being so far away from her. Later, I saw that the planes followed the Hudson River to NYC. They flew right over her.

She would later play volleyball against West Point. They had to go through a pretty thorough security check. I asked how strange was it to play against young women who might be called into service in the near future? She said, matter-of-factly, it is what they have chosen to do. It’s still amazing to me that so many young (and youngish) people enlisted after September 11th. God bless them for their sacrifices.

Fallon on September 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Seven buildings destroyed by two airplanes? How’d that happen?

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I’ll go to the chapel today…light a candle and remember.

Father Mychal’s Prayer

Lord, take me where You want me to go;
Let me meet who You want me to meet;
Tell me what You want me to say, and
Keep me out of Your way.

Father Mychal Judge died giving solace to ease the pain and fear of the suffering and offering sacraments to the fallen at Ground Zero.

He was a Franciscan…and the Chaplain for the NYC Fire Department.

He was serving his flock.

By all accounts a beloved servant of God.

workingclass artist on September 11, 2013 at 9:16 AM

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=911+attack&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=C2F9D9853A85A0371E6DAE0099E39279E0C7FABD&selectedIndex=8 Bishop on September 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM

This is even more weird.

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Go away. One thing we don’t need today is a truther. Just. Go.

Chris of Rights on September 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Seven buildings destroyed by two airplanes? How’d that happen?
Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Truther alert.

bluegill on September 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Was on my way to a dental appt, heard the report on the radio about the first plane hitting, got into the office, staff and patients glued to the tv, as I turned to watch the second plane hit, you could have heard a pin drop for what seemed like an eternity, it was but 1 or 2 seconds, and in unision, we all said, that’s a terrorist attack, and words similar.

I WILL NEVER FORGET!!

God Bless and keep those who died, and give comfort to those who survive…

Please God, we need your blessings we need your guidance and we need your strength to remain strong during this period when we have a leader who is destroying this nation. Amen…

Scrumpy on September 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Denial alert.

Answer the questions.

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM

That evening, the most eerie thing was the lack of air traffic in the area.

I’ll never forget. Never.

Ugly on September 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM

It’s funny that you said that about the Citgo and running out of gas- to this day, I get extremely nervous if any of our cars have less than half a tank. As well as cases of water and a good supply of batteries, radio’s, and given that all the ATM’s ran out of cash that morning, a bit of cash. It might not do a thing for me in the event of another attack, but I feel better having it.

BettyRuth on September 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Where’s the rubble?

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Denial alert.
Answer the questions.
Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Troll.

bluegill on September 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Pizz off you fvcking idiot…

Scrumpy on September 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I wish they had rebuilt the twin towers just as they had been, but stronger and taller, as Trump suggested. I think that was a great idea.

bluegill on September 11, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Lover of the human race, kind heavenly Father, on this anniversary of the tragedy that befell our nation 12 years ago, we pause under Your embrace to remember.

We remember those whose lives were lost that fateful day.

We remember the compassion and courage of our first responders.

We remember the families that were torn apart, never to be united again in this fallen age.

We remember all who ministered to broken hearts and sought to bring them Your comfort.

We remember the way our nation changed that day.

And as we remember, we beg Your mercy on all who carry wounds of heart, body or mind.

We ask Your mercy on all who continue to serve in our armed forces, strengthening and upholding them in every good deed.

We ask Your mercy upon all our first responders who so frequently put themselves in harm’s way to protect us.

We ask Your mercy for our public servants that they be given wisdom as they continue the struggle against terror and violence in our world.

We ask Your mercy also on those who meant us harm, begging You to give them the gift of repentance, changed hearts and new minds.

And we ask all these things in the name of Him who knew in His own body the pain inflicted by unreasoning hatred and religious violence, our Lord Jesus Christ, whose love triumphs over all, whose forgiveness holds us fast, and who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

OmahaConservative on September 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM

12 years later and I still tear up watching video from that day. My instincts were like thousands of others that morning, to head downtown and help in some way. It wasn’t long before authorities were asking people not to come, that there were so many already.

JetBoy on September 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Fallon on September 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I live in Dallas…and it was as I recall a neighborly day.

And I do remember that by evening…the streets were a sea of flags on porches or draped in windows.

We dug up ours and it hung on our porch for quite a while…There was a kind of comfort in that I think….seeing those American Flags in the neighborhoods that fall.

workingclass artist on September 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I still don’t like talking or thinking about that day. I still find the images to be painful and anger inducing. While I distinctly recall where I was, and what I was doing, I don’t really wish to relive it.

God bless those who suffered, and the families of those who fell. And God damn those who continue to remain blind to the threats to our liberties.

NotCoach on September 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM

bluegill on September 11, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Yes. Trump may be an a-hole, but at least he’s our self-promoting a-hole. It’s pathetic that I can say with a straight face that Trump would be a better President than what we’ve got.

Fenris on September 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I still find that picture mind boggling….

Tilly on September 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM

12 years ago this morning I was working in my garden when I got a phone call from my Dad telling me to put the TV on.

“Something is happening…I’m not sure what”, is all seemed to be able to say.

I work in my garden now on every anniversary.

The day still brings tears.

lynncgb on September 11, 2013 at 9:32 AM

On the one year anniversary of 9-11, my radio alarm went on literally as Celine Dion’s version of “God Bless America” was starting to play on a local classic rock station. This morning,
on that same station, my radio alarm awoke me just as Ray Charles’ version of “America the Beautiful” was beginning. As I was laying there in bed listening to this legend render his stirring version of the song, I was struck by the disparity between America then and America today. Even though the wounds were still fresh on the morning of 9-11-02, I felt like we were stronger and I felt safe; this morning on 9-11-13, not so much… in fact I kind of chuckled when I considered the sh*t show that America currently finds itself starring in on the world stage.

God Bless America… I will never forget.

dpduq on September 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Don’t feed the troll.

Chris of Rights on September 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM

bluegill on September 11, 2013 at 9:26 AM

The year before the attack in September, I took my daughter to Philadelphia to visit an old friend from Graduate school…We visited Independence Park,Old City and Valley Forge and took the train to NYC.

I have a picture of her at Ellis Island…and smiling on the ferry with the Towers in the background.

To this day….she won’t look at the photo…But I keep it anyway.

workingclass artist on September 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Wow, you win cause you can call names like children. Just visit http://www.DrJudyWood.com.

I was completely in your camp until I stumbled across her stuff last Feb. It wasn’t thermite, it wasn’t controlled demolition. Alex Jones is a moron. Ok?

It’s worth it to me to endure your slings and arrows if you will just check out the evidence she’s uncovered. She isn’t part of the “truther” movement (which hates her) and neither am I.

I don’t expect instant converts, just look at her stuff, listen to one of her lectures, and make up your mind.

Akzed on September 11, 2013 at 9:35 AM

When this subject is taught in schools, it is often accompanied by lessons on tolerance and multiculturalism. The dangers of “islamaphobia” are taught in tandem with lessons on what took place. It is being used as another way to push white and/or western guilt. Outrageous.

I was reading a post by the parent of a middle school student who said their kid’s teacher brought in a “poet” to the classroom who recited a poem which hinted at the need to question the official explanation of what happened on 9/11. It was so shocking to me. The teacher should be fired.

When we teach our children what happened, we need to be sure to teach the correct things.

Many kids today don’t even understand what the big deal about 9/11 was. This is a real problem.

bluegill on September 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Allahpundit’s tweets about 9/11 will always make me cry.

God bless everyone still suffering from the horror of that day.

pookysgirl on September 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I was still in California. I was taking a break between jobs and watching news in the morning, when I saw the first plane hit behind the talking head. She started mumbling something about an off course small commercial plane or business jet, when the second one came into view. There was a moment of confusion then the realization that this was an attack.

A month or so later I took a job in downtown Santa Cruz. Even the hardcore lefties were behind Bush. Neil Young came out with Let’s Roll a short time later. In another year things had shifted back, and there was an anti-war march with some seemingly ancient hippies. I remember one lefty acquaintance was looking at a slate of candidates, trying to pick the most communist one.

I moved to Montana.

claudius on September 11, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I live in Dallas…and it was as I recall a neighborly day.

workingclass artist on September 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Around that time I was moving a lot…a year here, a year there. Every single place I lived, the first thing I did was put up an American flag…be it a pole on the porch, or a small pole in the ground. When I moved, I left each one for the next tenants.

Today, I have a nice tall flag pole in my front yard, and a large flag with two spot lights for the nights. Every single morning I leave, and every night I return, I look at that flag with a sense of pride and dignity and thank God I live in the United States.

JetBoy on September 11, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Oh, good Lord…

Barry is speaking at the Pentagon, after receiving a warm tongue bath from Hagel.

Can’t even read the prepared large-font thus far rambling speech.

He’s not very good at this is he?

coldwarrior on September 11, 2013 at 9:40 AM

This important film by Geert Wilders should be required viewing in all lessons on 9/11:

Fitna – warning: contains disturbing images

bluegill on September 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM

When we teach our children what happened

bluegill on September 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Yes. Yes, we do.

Before it all is washed away by an”approved” tolerant, vapid, PC narrative designed to foster doubt.

coldwarrior on September 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

My contribution to today.

Bmore on September 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I was working the outside the polls for my police chief who was running for mayor. I got there at 8am and saw no voters at all. Around 10:30am I was convinced everyone forgot it was primary day to vote. I was outside the whole time without any electronic connection.

By 12pm the chief sent a car to pick me up. I was unable to drive because of a serious work injury/surgery I was recovering from. It was then I learned what happened. I went back to the station to help man the phones. The desk officers were being overwhelmed so I helped out.

I can’t tell you how many nuts call the police on a day like this. I stayed until 8pm that night in significant pain physically & emotionally. I will never forget coming home to tears from my 2 scared children.

I will never forget the entire day. Ever

Conservative4Ever on September 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I was working at a major defense contractor in CT. A colleague walked into a meeting as we were assembling and mentioned the WTC had been hit. We knew it was impossible that it was an accident. What a horror as dozens of people crammed into the lobby area and watched the live feed as the first tower came down.

We had sales/marketing guys on the west coast who couldn’t make it back home as planned. Several combined funds and bought a cheap car and drove back to CT because we/they had no idea how long air travel would be grounded.

freedomfirst on September 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM

FYI- Obama talked over Pentagon moment of silence at the Pentagon.

Happy Nomad on September 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM

To this day….she won’t look at the photo…But I keep it anyway.

workingclass artist on September 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM

My oldest daughter wanted to go to college on the East Coast, so we made a family vacation out of visiting a number of schools out there in the summer of 2000. We stayed in NYC for a couple of days, ate at a deli, walked Times Square and saw a Broadway show. Tourist stuff. We attempted to go to Ellis Island but Hubby kept missing the exit ramp. We would circle around and laugh every time we went past the World Trade Center. There is it, again We gave up and never made it to The Statue of Liberty, though we saw it in the distance, but the constancy, the anchor of the NYC skyline that was the WTC buildings stick with me to this day.

Fallon on September 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM