CNN poll: 61% who watched Obama’s speech say they favor his approach to Syria

posted at 11:21 am on September 11, 2013 by Allahpundit

Good lord. He did it.

No, just kidding. Dip into the crosstabs and you’ll see that reaction was more nuanced than the headline implies:

He barely moved the dial on the key questions about whether this would achieve anything or whether it’s even in America’s national interest to do it. In which case, how is he at 61 percent support for his approach (and 47 percent on whether the case he made was convincing)? Two explanations, I think. One: Last night’s audience was probably more pro-Obama than the electorate generally. Some O-haters might have watched just to see if he’d keep bumbling, but among low-information voters, you’re probably more likely to have spent 15 minutes on this if you’re a casual fan than a casual critic. And if you’re going in as a fan, chances are you’re coming out thinking his Syria plan sounds solid-ish — although not so solid as to prevent 50 percent from saying that he didn’t make the case.

Two: What exactly is “his approach” at this point? A week ago, this speech loomed as something important because he was going to pound the table for war. As it turned out, thanks to Putin’s weapons-inspection charade, he ended up pounding the table for … not going to war so that we can kick this can down the road for a few more months or years while Assad pretends to comply with UN inspectors. Most Americans oppose intervention and now here’s O telling them, “Okay, we won’t intervene, but let me flex my muscles rhetorically at least.” Of course 61 percent can live with that. Among the same crowd, 65 percent think diplomacy can avert a U.S. strike in Syria. If O’s willing to tell them what they want to hear, naturally they’re going to respond favorably.

Paul Ryan, by the way, waited until this morning to declare that he’s a no on attacking too. As a counterpoint to poll-watching, enjoy serial interventionist Bernard Henri-Levy, who helped sell France and eventually the U.S. on making Libya safe for jihadism, arguing that Obama’s duty as a leader is to ignore the polls and bombs away. Actual headline: “The Dictatorship of Public Opinion on Syria.”

Comments

The same CNN who the day before said Americans 58% disapprove of his Foreign Policy with 62% disapproving specifically of Syria. Conclusion: They polled only Obamabots as they were the only viewers last night.

hillsoftx on September 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Someone actually watched this?

acyl72 on September 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM

BS

Bmore on September 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Two: What exactly is “his approach” at this point?

Exactly. His speech was like a recap of the week’s news with several mentions of the gassed children thrown in for good measure. And what was he asking the Republicans to do, anyway? Everything is on hold! There’s no vote. There’s not going to be any dismantling of the chemical weapons. Assad isn’t going to stop the slaughter. What is there to approve of?

scalleywag on September 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Paul Ryan is weak.

Mr. Arrogant on September 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM

You mean they had the effrontery to broadcast this?

itsspideyman on September 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM

What speech?

HumpBot Salvation on September 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Explanation: Most people watching were Democrats who were hoping against hope he could reassure them that they weren’t complete morons for voting for him a second time.

And, surprise, he exceeded their wildest dreams again! Unprecedented!

Good Lt on September 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Yeah, I’m guessing 99.2% of people who bothered to watch Obama speechify are hard-core devotees. And like Sex Panther, 60% of the time, it works every time.

ex_machina on September 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM

What it boils down to it came to the Fierce Moral Urgency of Doing Nothing.

Hey, that sounds great!

ajacksonian on September 11, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Conservative poll suppression!!!…

PatriotRider on September 11, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I’m pretty sure both the words dip and

nuanced

are racist.

HumpBot Salvation on September 11, 2013 at 11:29 AM

It’s when I see polls like this that I start thinking happytobehere’s view of the electorate is correct.

Doomberg on September 11, 2013 at 11:29 AM

2-Dimesional Jenga.

Ben Hur on September 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Candy Crowley.

/Rhymes with creepy crawler. Just sayin’

Key West Reader on September 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Two: What exactly is “his approach” at this point?

we watched it and tried hard to follow what he was saying. When it was over I asked my wife if she could tell what his intention was. We did not know.

We both agreed if he was going to do anything about addressing the use of chemical weapons it should have been done by August 22 with us waking up to the news of it.

Operation Enduring Incompetence.

DanMan on September 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Same old, same old from war chief Barrack. Ace nailed it, I think.

MTF on September 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM

WRF did I write?

Dimensional.

Ben Hur on September 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Vee Vill Tell You Vhat to Think.

/I have a trunk full of propoganda from the Nazi era.

Key West Reader on September 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Someone actually watched this?

acyl72 on September 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM

It was a chance to hang out withe the Vodkapundit crowd and do some drunk-snarking.

rbj on September 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I give up.

Ben Hur on September 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Did they mention these people like Teddy Bears too??

ToddPA on September 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM

The Dictatorship of Public Opinion on Syria

this is what democracy looks like! …. or something

ted c on September 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM

61% who watched Obama’s speech say they favor his approach to Syria

And 97% of those could not find Syria on a map even if it was the sole location marked.

coldwarrior on September 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM

At this point, X% of “people who watched his speech” are probably 90% Leftists. Nobody else can stomach the pompous visage or haughty tone, let alone the disastrous presidency.

IronDioPriest on September 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM

This man has reached Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb stage…

I feel like we are all in the Movie The Wall….you know,

the Pink Floyd Wall.

Relax relax, it’s just a little PinPrick…there’ll be
no more AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

But you may feel a little sick…

ToddPA on September 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I watched it.

he can speechify, but your sold on his shtick only if you ignore the facts. He likes his speeches to stand independently of facts and events (see the Limbaugh Theorem). When they do, he wins. However, his speeches have to be planed into context with facts and events–then he loses of course.

ted c on September 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM

ToddPA on September 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM

perfect analogy

ted c on September 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I think the Ditherer-in-Chief got exactly what he wanted. The chance to do nothing and brag about it.

JimK on September 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM

ToddPA on September 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I saw that at a Planetarium. Those were the days.

/Buh-Rock unilaterally dismantled NASA. Don’t forget that.

Key West Reader on September 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Especially when you schedule your speech in the middle of the season finale of So You Think You Can Dance. There is a certain political genius to striking when you know you have a large audience of idiots.

The speech was incoherent but taken in small bits, there really wasn’t anything to disagree with. I would imagine that most of us are against CW and would rather a diplomatic solution to warfare. But when you’re POTUS and get up and make a speech you should at least have something to say.

Happy Nomad on September 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM

80% of CNN watchers are libs.

portlandon on September 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM

But 99% didn’t watch it.

faraway on September 11, 2013 at 11:40 AM

61% who watched Obama’s speech say they favor his approach to Syria

Someone actually watched this?

acyl72 on September 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I’m guessing supporters, people who had to watch it to write about it, and a few LIVs who were waiting for their favorite show to come on.

forest on September 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM

You mean to tell me, that “the rise of the oceans is NOT “beginning to slow” and “our planet is NOT beginning to heal” ?
You’re all wrong… and he proved once again last night, he is still our Messiah.
Haters.

FlaMurph on September 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Some of the things I agreed with in his speech:

OUR military.’

‘We should exhaust diplomatic channels.’

‘Americans are concerned about the Syrian rebels.’

‘We shouldn’t be the world’s policeman.’

‘Americans are against this intervention.’

I also sort of agreed with this:

‘I’ve asked Congress to delay a vote.’

While I’d love to see Congress wipe the smug, dismissive, and arrogant look off of his face, a historic loss could send mixed signals to the world.

Does that make me part of the 61%?

Resist We Much on September 11, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Support what, Bark holding Asswad accountable for killing children with phosgene gas but not napalm, as if there’s a difference in the end.

Bishop on September 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM

After I got rid of my satellite connect I’ve exposed myself to some old tv shows that are broadcast on several OTA channels. Caught the very first Beverly Hillbillies last weekend even. So last night I saw a few minutes of a Gilligan’s Isle episode where the Skipper had put Lil Buddy in charge of watching the water supply so it wouldn’t get pilfered. Sure enough the Howell’s distracted him and stole some, Ginger and Mary Ann did the same.

The Skipper drags them back to the water tank, makes them pour in their stolen water and gave a lecture to everybody about working together, conserving their resources, honesty, etc.

I think had they played that video of Alan Hale waving his arms and scolding the castaways with Obama’s speech imbedded it would have had more impact. And Mary Ann was hot in those short shorts.

DanMan on September 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Main reason for the high approval is that the vast majority of those that tuned in are the types that would chip in for the “Fund WWIII” Kickstarter project.

They are already sold on the concept of “Why? Obama.”

No Truce With Kings on September 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM

The same percentage of people who watched and thought it was a good idea would say the same thing if he was standing there chewing on a dog leg while mumbling about abortion. It doesn’t mean a thing.

HotAirian on September 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

We will never learn. Obama outsmarted us again.

Here we are on 9/11 talking about Syria. Idiots.

Obama created this fake Syria scandal so we would forget about Benghazi, IRS scandals, NSA scandals, etc.

Plus, he made the GOP look like obstructionists again.

Plus, ObamaCare pushes on.

faraway on September 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

DanMan on September 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Yesterday I had empathy for the poor speechwriter who was probably composing on an etch-a-sketch for all the changes that were going on. I’m less empathetic this morning because it is clear this was a team effort. There were at least three different speeches jumbled together with standard catch-phrases for transitions (I was elected to end wars not start them, for example).

At the end of the day Obama compared Assad to Hitler but wants the United States to sit down with Hitler and work out a deal (with the help of Stalin). He wants Congress to act- but not now. He thinks it important that Congress authorize any attack- but he can go it alone……….

We wonder why foreign policy is so muddled when the administration can’t even figure out what their own policy is!

Happy Nomad on September 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

ToddPA on September 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I go back a little further to “Careful with that ax, Obama”

DanMan on September 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM

For the average person, who wants to like him, “we’re not going to war” is all they needed to hear.

PattyJ on September 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I saw that speech as just another bad episode of “America’s got NO talent!” (at least not in public office)

I would rather have watched the Kardashians than watch that idiot, and I hate the Kardashians. Come to think of it, going outside and watching the grass grow would be a far more rewarding viewing experience than either of those.

Tom Servo on September 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM

The whole thing reminds me of this Monty Python skit

The media is Graham Chapman who comes in at 1:10 to say “he’s right, you know that?”

batterup on September 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Someone actually watched this?

acyl72 on September 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I did. I even popped the corn myself beforehand.

Loved the lies like this one (paraphrased):

‘Unlike George W Bush, I am actually deigning to seek the authorisation for military force from Congress and the United Nations.’

Authorisation for Use of Military Force Against Terrorists passed the House 420-1-10 and the Senate by a 98-0-2 margin and was signed into law on 18 September 2001.

Authorisation for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution passed the House 297-133-3 and the Senate by a 77-23 margin and was signed into law on 16 October 2002.

Bush DID go to the United Nations and obtained 6 resolutions, which were added to 14 previous resolutions passed during the Bush I and Clinton administrations.

Obama is a despicable liar.

Resist We Much on September 11, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Bishop on September 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Yup…..I mean, come on! We all know heart eating Cannibals
don’t need to be dealt with..why, one of our “esteemed”
U.S. Senators told us so….

ToddPA on September 11, 2013 at 11:53 AM

61% who watched Obama’s speech say they favor his approach to Syria

What are the ratings? I have not seen a statistic on how may folks actually watched Bark.

Allah, can you provide that number for some context please?

Bruno Strozek on September 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Happy Nomad on September 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM

The most memorable part for me was when he went into that “For my friends on the left…” and the “For my friends on the right…” schtick. I don’t usually flip off my tv but it deserved it for showing me that. It just appeared he was tossing a word salad and trying to include too many angles without making any definitive statement. The litany of “some would say”. “one the one hand” as a way of covering every talking point was, well pointless. He must think by merely mentioning a legitimate opposition it should be enough to squelch it.

DanMan on September 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM

ToddPA on September 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I saw that at a Planetarium. Those were the days.

/Buh-Rock unilaterally dismantled NASA. Don’t forget that.

Key West Reader on September 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Yup.

Back in the day, my buddy and I were two 11th graders with no
wheels to get to class….well, we sort of wrecked his 1968
AMC REBEL……so one morning his Mom took us to school..
we turn on the radio and on comes Pink Floyd’s title song
to the Wall, played every day at that time on the charts.

“We don’t need no Education” We don’t need no….

Needless to say his Mom gave us a nasty stare, and we
turned the station…

ToddPA on September 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM

61%???

Six out of ten?

Seriously?

Unbelievable.

Obama had ten viewers last night?

coldwarrior on September 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM

CNN seemed real impressed with the Morgan Freeman imitation. CNN and no one else.

pat on September 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Dem’s Ousted in Recall in Colorado

Heh.

Key West Reader on September 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM

He made a compelling case for the importance of enforcing international treaties with military action.

libfreeordie on September 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Syria is not a signatory to the chemical weapons treaty. That’s why he keeps referring to ‘international NORMS‘ rather than ‘international LAW.’

Resist We Much on September 11, 2013 at 12:01 PM

61%???

Six out of ten?

Seriously?

Unbelievable.

Obama had ten viewers last night?

coldwarrior on September 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM

1 Candy Crowley = 6 Peeps.

/so, yeah.

Key West Reader on September 11, 2013 at 12:01 PM

61%???

Six out of ten?

Seriously?

Unbelievable.

Obama had ten viewers last night?

coldwarrior on September 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM

1 Candy Crowley = 6 Peeps.

/so, yeah.

Key West Reader on September 11, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Must have more eyes than a wolf spider.

itsspideyman on September 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Paul Ryan?

Seems like a good person to take over for Boehner. He’s apparently just as feckless, dishonest and deaf to Republicans concerns.

In fact, with the poll watching for decision making tactic, Ryan seems like a hybrid between McConnell and Boehner.

So he has that going for him.

We’ll never know the difference.

Marcus Traianus on September 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Lemme guess, the poll was 70% democrats and 18% Republicans?

mitchellvii on September 11, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Must have more eyes than a wolf spider.

itsspideyman on September 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Funny! Have you ever seen one of those close up? I have. Freaky, indeed.

Key West Reader on September 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Ok I looked. Poll was tiny (less that 400 people) and consisted of 37% Democrats and 20% Republicans. Oh yeah, THAT is repesentative.

Geesh they have no shame.

mitchellvii on September 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Well, one thing’s for sure, 99.9% of the Mullahs in Iran loved, loved, loved the speech and agreed completely with him on his approach to the Syrian problem.

I’m also sure they’ve already cut a deal with Putin to come in and do the same thing when it’s their turn.

Maureen Dowd may have said it best, “Oh, for the good old days when Obama was leading from behind. Now these guys are leading by slip-of-the-tongue.”

TXUS on September 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Lemme guess, the poll was 70% democrats and 18% Republicans?

mitchellvii on September 11, 2013 at 12:06 PM

No. It was a Candy Crowley sponsored poll. So, yeah.

/LMAO otherwise I’d go nucking futs.

Key West Reader on September 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM

17 point sampling edge to Democrats. I’ve seen CNN go as high as 24 points in these flash polls.

mitchellvii on September 11, 2013 at 12:10 PM

61% who watched Obama’s speech say they favor his approach to Syria

My collie says:

Meanwhile, the remaining 39 percent insist that somewhere in Chicago there’s a not-so-organized community that is missing its rodeo clown.

CyberCipher on September 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM

ToddPA on September 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I go back a little further to “Careful with that ax, Obama”
DanMan on September 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Several species of small furry mnjgs grooving with a choomer?

AH_C on September 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Paul Ryan, the amnesty-pushing loser who was a disappointment as VP candidate, is an unprincipled, ambitious, self-interested coward.

Can’t stand the man anymore.

bluegill on September 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Paul Ryan couldn’t take a stand until it was safe. Loser.

bluegill on September 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM

What is the purpose of Floating this Dishonest and Misleading Headline – other than to give allahpundit his jollies?

Why not Lead With The Truth – instead of “snark”?

williamg on September 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM

The key words in this bogus poll are “who watched”. Most of us with common sense and brains know that it is a waste of time to watch obama spew nonsense and lies.

rjh on September 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM

My coffee was good too…it’s as gone as that speech.

Schadenfreude on September 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Why not Lead With The Truth – instead of “snark”?
williamg on September 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I agree. The HotAir headline should have reflected AP’s analysis about the misleading nature of the headline.

bluegill on September 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM

CyberCipher on September 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Good to see you.

/Ya racist.

Key West Reader on September 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM

CNN poll: 61% who watched Obama’s speech say they favor his approach to Syria

Because people who love obama were more likely to watch. Duh.

Ronnie on September 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM

61% of those who watched…no $#it. Obama drones approve of Obama? If I were him – I’d be concerned that it’s only 61%.

CycloneCDB on September 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Seriously? CNN still lying for Obama? Why are they in business anymore.

I watched most of it. It was dumb. He admits there is no national interest… except that he allowed Syria to use chemical weapons for over a year and now we should… let Putin take control of the Middle East.

I am sickened by this man.

Sadly, Putin in control is better than Obama in control.

Wow, how far we have fallen.

petunia on September 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Exactly! With a past track record of lying though his teeth, why would any SANE person want to listen to anything King Barry has to say.

GarandFan on September 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM

OT:

From the WashT:

First up:

This is an excerpt from a story about the motorcycle ride in DC today. Also today in DC is a Muslim rally.

The National Park Service has denied any political motivation for refusing the permit, which ride organizers sought last month. The Park Service earlier this year granted a permit to a Muslim group planning a rally Wednesday to call attention to social justice issues.

The American Muslim Political Action Committee has scheduled a rally to draw attention to what they call unfair fear of Muslims after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

On the same page, in the right column, adjacent to the above we have this:

Islamic cleric decrees it OK for Syrian rebels to rape women

Unfair indeed.

BobMbx on September 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM

So, basically, the President made the case that a government should not use chemical weapons on innocent children, a proposition which few, if any, Americans disagree with, and came away with 61% of Americans being persuaded. Sounds about right.

boone on September 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Because people who love obama were more likely to watch. Duh.

Ronnie on September 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I only watch Obama because Norah O’Donnell might be there.

BobMbx on September 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM

CycloneCDB on September 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM

THIS.

How pathetically bad does Obama have to do that CNN viewership – almost entirely comprised of Obama drones at this point – can only muster a 61% agreement/approval rating?

LOL

Midas on September 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM

CNN poll: 61% who watched Obama’s speech say they favor his Putin’s approach to Syria

The headline is a bit misleading. It never was Obama’s idea. Putin is running our foreign policy now.

HotAirian on September 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Oh, gawd, not that phoney Bernard Henry Levy again…

jimver on September 11, 2013 at 12:46 PM

No, 61% of the American people support NOT striking Syria and support allowing the diplomatic plan negotiated by Putin to be executed, hopefully resolving the issue….that 61% is just glad Obama abandoned his plan of striking Syria and JOINED THEM in embracing Putin’s plan!

easyt65 on September 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM

61% of one thousand viewers is not a very accurate poll.

F_This on September 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM

CNN poll: 61% who watched Obama’s speech say they favor his approach to Syria

What approach?

Seriously, unless the claimed 61% can articulate what his approach is with at least a rough consensus, it’s a meaningless number. Much like adding two completely unrelated statistics.

I call BS on that 61% number. Obama doesn’t have an approach. The most you can really say is that 61% are sympathetic to his confusion.

There Goes the Neighborhood on September 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM

So how many actually watched ?

esblowfeld on September 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Keywords: … who watched Obama’s speech. Arguably only the choir was watching and yet still 39% of them disagreed. Amazing.

erp on September 11, 2013 at 3:24 PM

It’s CNN.

TX-96 on September 11, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Sorry!

I was watching the US Men’s National Team qualify for the World Cup. Did I miss something important?

EB