Good news: New Apple iPhone to use, er, fingerprints for security

posted at 9:21 pm on September 10, 2013 by Allahpundit

I know what you’re thinking, but don’t worry. Apple’s going to encrypt the data and make sure that it’s stored locally in the processor, not in the Cloud. Which guarantees that prying eyes at the NSA can’t, er, access it or … decipher it even if they could.

No, actually, the real reason you shouldn’t worry about this is because the NSA probably has your fingerprints already. Don’t some states require fingerprinting, in fact, when applying for a driver’s license? The big problem with a fingerprint scanner might not be the privacy implications but the technical implications. The scanner decays with use over time, naturally, and the iPhone’s scanner is bound to get a lot of use. How many touches, smudges, smears, and wipes can the home button take before it starts to have trouble reading the owner’s print?

In other news, the new iPhone 5s comes with … not enough to keep an erstwhile Apple fanboy like me interested. Said our tech wizard, Mark Jaquith, of the new 64-bit processor, “‘What I really want in a phone is a gaming machine that will deliver eye-melting graphics for about an hour and then die’ said no one ever.” I fear the time has come, my friends, to consider Android. End of an era. Exit quotation via the Onion: “Apple Unveils Panicked Man With No Ideas.”

Comments

I fear the time has come, my friends, to consider Android.

Android has been the place to be for years. Welcome to the dark side, Allah.

mythicknight on September 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Oh great, so now when they steal your iPhone they’re gonna have to chop off a few of your digits, hoping they got the right one?

stukinIL4now on September 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I love my iPhone. I’m not sure what makes android so amazing.

mrscullen on September 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM

And with those fingerprints, they can be left at the scene of any crime. Need DNA evidence? That’s what the IRS medical records are for.

rbj on September 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Weiner has one that secretly takes pictures of his junk.

faraway on September 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM

The NSA doesn’t deal with fingerprints. Your thinking of the FBI.

I have been waiting for fingerprints to replace *&^%(&^! passwords.

Count to 10 on September 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I love the pure Android OS of the Nexus 4. Going from iOS to the pure Android was like going from Blackberry to iOS.

Apple isn’t even treading water with its OS at this point; it’s sinking.

Nessuno on September 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Maybe I’m getting paranoid, but this version seems like an NSA dream phone to me…

Alinsky on September 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Instead of finger prints, the phones should have intrusion detection so you know when Obozo is on the other end listening in.

KMC1 on September 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM

The NSA doesn’t deal with fingerprints. Your thinking of the FBI.

Count to 10 on September 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM

The FBI has fingerprints of criminals only. The NSA has the rest.

faraway on September 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Anybody got a hipster translator for that Mark Jaquith quote?

Dongemaharu on September 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Android has been the place to be for years. Welcome to the dark side, Allah.

mythicknight on September 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I *had* an android for years, switched to iPhone a year ago. Am quite a bit happier, thank you.

Midas on September 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM

If I only had a dollar for every time the doubters professed Apple’s demise.

canesfan on September 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Oh, goodie…now the NSA can collect, store and analyze the fingerprints of millions of Americans.

coldwarrior on September 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Count to 10 on September 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Nah, I figure it’s a request from the DHS…

CPT. Charles on September 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM

The iPhone is so much better than android. If you don’t want to use the finger scanner, then you don’t have to. Just use the password code. It’s all optional. However, I like the finger option, since it makes unlocking much, much faster

bluegill on September 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I hope the next one they come out with is one where you have to sit on it for ur azz pic lmao…

(Oh girl you so bad) ;)

Scrumpy on September 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM

coldwarrior on September 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Not to mention framing them to “be” at locations they’ve never visited or upon weapons they’ve never owned or….

viking01 on September 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I have had a Samsung Note 2 and a Samsung S3, and I couldn’t wait to go back to the iPhone each time.

Web browsing stinks with Android. The stock browser can’t center columns of text anywhere near as precisely or easily as Safari can on iPhone.

bluegill on September 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM

So Apple delivers the most advanced smartphone yet (with good battery life. Not sure where you are pulling the battery garbage from) and you think you need to slum it up with ghetto Android? Stick with political commentary.

tyketto on September 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I have “non-repeatable” fingerprints. Biometric companies say that people like me are a myth. Not so. In our circle of friends to whom we have mentioned this problem approximately 5% have said they have the same situation. The fingerprint examiner that tried to get readable prints from me said that since CCW had taken off (this is back in 2005) he felt about 8% were non-repeatable.

windsor1262 on September 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Apple is a close ally of ‘team obama’ – they will do whatever they are asked to do.

Pork-Chop on September 10, 2013 at 9:41 PM

viking01 on September 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Sure. Better by far than a retinal scanner. No way to use that to frame someone… and besides thieves might.. well… you get the picture.

thatsafactjack on September 10, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Windows Phone 8.

Skip the toys and the preloaded crapware.

Bishop on September 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Good news: New Apple iPhone to use, er, fingerprints for security

That means that the government or anybody else who has your phone and your dead hand, or captive live hand, can unlock your phone against your will. No thanks, I’ll stick with passwords, that way the government will be forced to ask my permission and not the other way around.

FloatingRock on September 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Perfectly happy with my LG Optimus G Pro. The micro SD card slot alone makes it a better option than the iPhone.

Doughboy on September 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM

windsor1262 on September 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM

All fingerprints are unique and non-repeatable. Do you mean you faint fingerprints that are hard to scan?

bluegill on September 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM

NSA has been hacking people’s computers, back records, phone records, etc for quite some time. I think if they wanted those fingerprints from iphones… which I have no reason to doubt that they would… they’d have them.

thatsafactjack on September 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Gave up my iPhone a year ago. Been using a Nokia Lumia 920 (Windows Phone 8) for a year now. I like it enough that I wouldn’t consider going back. (Utterly sold on wireless charging for one thing.)

I’ve been trying to convince my wife to jettison her iPhone. She deserves a Lumia 1020. (She likes to take pictures.)

CyberCipher on September 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Apple fan boys and their money are soon parted.

CW on September 10, 2013 at 9:49 PM

viking01 on September 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM

thatsafactjack on September 10, 2013 at 9:42 PM

With 3D printers and virtually unlimited budgets the NSA and FBI and IRS could frame any and all the Regime’s enemies without, er, lifting a finger.

viking01 on September 10, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Don’t worry though, fansies, the Iphone 6 will be out in 7 months and it probably won’t have this.

Bishop on September 10, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Nah. If you bought the 5, then this is the perfect excuse to keep it and enjoy it for another year at least and then upgrade in a year or two. There’s just not enough to justify buying a new one if you’ve already got a 5, imho. No temptation now.

kim roy on September 10, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I’ve got the Lumia 920 too, great device for pretty much everything. I’d love to get the new Nokia with the 41 megpix camera since I detest carrying a separate camera anywhere.

Bishop on September 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Android users like to badmouth iPhone users. It’s sad that they have nothing better to do. iPhone users are happy using the most intuitive and efficient mobile OS. I found Android to be a busy mess, but I’m not going to badmouth people who don’t know any better and use the cheaper Android phones.

Look, iPhones are phones of choice. Android phones are often just what you get because there was some sale or because you never had a smartphone before and just got the first thing you saw.

bluegill on September 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM

…I don’t care!

KOOLAID2 on September 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Windows Phone 8 for me. Google is evil, and besides…their “productivity” apps suck ballz compared to Office, web version or fat client version.

ex_machina on September 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM

windsor1262 on September 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Actually down at the Bureau labs in Quantico, they have a “special category” fingerprint shop.

People have tired to wash their fingertips with acid, three times daily dipping in raw bleach, sandpaper, all sorts of chemicals.

And each one is still unique.

Not unique for the swirls and whorls…but the imperfections.

Not readable in a typical print scanner or entry security device…but still readable.

Readable enough to obtain a conviction if need be.

coldwarrior on September 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Hehe… went over and checked C/Net’s article on the matter.

The poo flinging in the comments between the iBots and Droids is getting pretty thick, and mildly amusing.

CPT. Charles on September 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM

And each one is still unique.

Not unique for the swirls and whorls…but the imperfections.

Readable enough to obtain a conviction if need be.

coldwarrior on September 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Somebody should invent gloves.

CW on September 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I had an iPhone. Switched to android. With a galaxy note ii i found i didnt need the iPad.

Android rocks.

SparkPlug on September 10, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I’m getting a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 tablet for productivity applications. For day-to-day use nothing beats an iPhone. I won’t touch Google Android garbage. Samsung screens, in particular, look purply and gross. Not as crisp as the iPhone screens.

Looking forward to the larger screens on the iPhone 6.

bluegill on September 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I also like taking control of my kids’ Xbox from time to time with my phone.

I’m a shiite gamer but that 360 is pure awesome, btw.

Bishop on September 10, 2013 at 10:09 PM

(Oh girl you so bad) ;)

Scrumpy on September 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM

lol — I have no ideas what this means, but it’s funny. :)

Axe on September 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Back in the day if you wanted your fingerprint on record all you had to do was drive around drunk until the cops pulled you over. Now you gotta wait in line with a bunch of desperate hipster doofuses for two days to shell out 700 bucks for an i-toy that will be replaced in a few months.

whatcat on September 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Look, I’ll never do Android. Why? Because it’s run by a company (Google) that I am not a customer of. Google’s customers are governments and advertisers; I am their product. From time immemorial Google wants to sell my data. So no Android.

Windows phone is intriguing. But I’ve been an Apple guy since the 80s, and for all of their faults, they really do try to think of their customers wants and needs. A lesson that other phone manufacturers failed to learn.

Vanceone on September 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM

CW on September 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Gloves? Only the real smart criminals.

Those latex, or surgical gloves?

Pretty neat to watch them get prints out of the inside fingertips of some gloves like those with one or two simple household chemicals.

The smartest criminals…as Alfred Hitchcock said decades ago…are the one’s we will never ever hear about.

The stupid ones always seem to have to let somebody know.

coldwarrior on September 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM

If you try android, stick to the nexus line. Apple is for image obsessed hipsters and people who don’t know any better. You’ll save some money and get a superior product. Though the Nokia windows phones are also very nice.

jhffmn on September 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM

It makes no sense to get Windows Phone, since there are far less apps for it.

Apps are always made for the iPhone first, then Android. Then MAYBE Windows Phone.

bluegill on September 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM

iOS 7 is what’s got me excited. Look forward to downloading it.

sadsushi on September 10, 2013 at 10:35 PM

intuitive..what exactly is “new” here, same boring phone from on a worn old iOS, I can make several apps to upload for free to Google Play to sell, Apple is asking me for $350 to create my app on the Itunes store, they need there blood money, they are a boring old 1 pony show. and The Smugness of Apple Fanboys who don’t know dink about technology is annoying. “Its so simple”…yeah isn’t it..simple, here’s a ball, its goes bounce bounce? :P

ninjacoastie on September 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Good news: New Apple iPhone to use, er, fingerprints for security

And there are guys out there who will buy 5 or more of these and put them on the shelf with their ten Lisa’s (in original boxes, of course) and fondle them from time to time over the years.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 10, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Exit quotation via the Onion: “Apple Unveils Panicked Man With No Ideas.”

The white, ultrathin man, who exhibited such features as artificial excitement, a fully quavering voice, and what appeared to be a near total lack of inspiration, was put on full display for thousands of shareholders, industry insiders, reporters, and fans today…

Heh. My favorite one, Apple Introduces Revolutionary New Laptop With No Keyboard.

Tzetzes on September 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Somebody should invent gloves.

CW on September 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Hasn’t Al Gore done that already?

Sterling Holobyte on September 10, 2013 at 11:01 PM

ninjacoastie on September 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Yes, you are right. They let any old crap in the Android Google Play store. If you like crapware and buggy apps, then you will love many of the offerings in Google Play.

The Apple App Store has, by far, the best customer base. Developers line up to make their offerings available to iPhone users because they know that iPhone users buy and use more apps than anyone else. Yes, Apple screens and tests what gets put in their App Store. It’s called having standards.

But I think it is great that Android exists for the less discerning customers.

bluegill on September 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Android has been the place to be for years. Welcome to the dark side, Allah.

mythicknight on September 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Midas on September 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I had an iphone for a couple of years, and switched to Android about 4 years ago. Am quite a bit happier with it, too.

And yes, this is true.

BTW, I’ve been using a fingerprint scanner to unlock my Motorola Atrix for a couple years now. I’m eligible for an upgrade now, but I don’t know that I want give up my fingerprint scanner.

There Goes the Neighborhood on September 10, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Apple is the status quo.

Or maybe not even that.

PappyD61 on September 10, 2013 at 11:31 PM

ninjacoastie on September 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM

But I think it is great that Android exists for the less discerning customers.

bluegill on September 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Most cultists are full of rationalizations for why they’re better than everyone else.

Not that I’m saying all Apple users are in a cult. Just pointing out the signs are there, if you want to see them.

There Goes the Neighborhood on September 11, 2013 at 12:08 AM

There Goes the Neighborhood on September 10, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Sweetie, I’ve had several Android phones in the past. No more. iOS and iPhone work much better for me and let me get things done easier and more quickly. I’d rather use a metal, quality device like the iPhone with unbeatable and crisp display than haul around a plastic Android device and have to wait for the latest OS download to be available for the phone, even though it already might be available on other Android phones.

I understand why people might get stuck with an Android phone, though: they’re usually cheaper, there are more of them floating around, and people might not think they’re much different than iPhone. I feel bad for such people! There is a reason why way more people abandon Android for iPhone than vice cerda.

iPhone customer loyalty is amazing. You call it a cult. I call it recognizing the best product and making a choice to stay with the best product and with what works.

I don’t believe people online who claim to have jumped from iPhone to Android. Reminds me of those political comments that start off with, “I usually vote Republican, but here’s why conservatives are racist…!” They are usually just written by disgruntled trolls who are trying to tarnish conservatives (or, in this case, Apple).

bluegill on September 11, 2013 at 1:35 AM

But I think it is great that Android exists for the less discerning customers.

bluegill on September 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Spoken like a true mac lemming. I work in the business so if you want to go toe to toe with anecdotal I will bury you.

Apple counts on trendy tools for their business model…they are more of a marketing firm than anything else. They claim their walled garden development model is superior, but it is simply a gimick to excuse their limited faith in their own os.

I know it is embarrassing to have to justify paying $600 for posting on Facebook or Instagram, but grow up.

ClassicCon on September 11, 2013 at 1:53 AM

ClassicCon on September 11, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Sorry you don’t like hearing the truth.

I have used both operating systems and vastly prefer iPhone.

I don’t like the busy android keyboard. I don’t like the cheap plastic android phones. I don’t like the purple-tinged Samsung android phone displays. I don’t like not being given the ability to upgrade to the latest OS software version whenever I choose while using an android phone. I don’t like the buggy crapware that populates the google play App Store. I don’t like the subpar web browsing (especially where columns of text need to be displayed) on android.

Let’s be honest. Android phones are the phones you use because you got a huge discount or because someone gave you one. iPhones are the phones you use because you specifically chose that brand.

And the iPhone camera is way better than what you get on most android phones.

Sorry, I choose not to settle when selecting my phone. I want the best. I use it every day all through the day.

bluegill on September 11, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Oh the apple idiot lemming cultists are out in full force defending their flailing darling company that has run out of ideas.

The big idea is the fingerprint scanner? Really? The Motorola atrix had that years ago. Not so new and revolutionary there apple. As for biometric unlocking, the face unlock of the android OS is far superior to fingerprint scanning especially since they added blink recognition.

As for androids being “cheaper”.. You couldn’t be more wrong. The new Samsung phones all retail at $199 for the galaxy S line. The note line goes for $299 subsidized and it’s literally flying off the shelves. Remember apple idiots… Your phone is not the most widely used. Android accounts for 70% of the smartphone market share. Apple barely has 20.

Authored using voice dictation on my nexus 10.

Defenestratus on September 11, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Tell that idiocy to the BILLION Android activations to date. I’ve owned ten Android devices all of my own volition. You know why? Because I can’t stand paying more for an inferior product. Thats what Apple is.

If you don’t like the android keyboard you can use one of the hundreds others on the playstore. I use SwiftKey.

I upgrade all of my devices to the latest version with all of its features. How is that iPhone 3gs working out on iOS7? I just loaded jelly bean onto my original droid. A bit slow but perfectly usable.

Staying away from “buggy crapware” on the play store just takes common sense. Something you apparently lack.

I have no idea what you’re talking about with sub par browsing experience. If you don’t like the stock browser you can use one of the dozens in the play store. You can even set it as your default browser… Something apple will never let you do…. because they know you’re an idiot.

Defenestratus on September 11, 2013 at 2:29 AM

But I think it is great that Android exists for the less discerning customers.

bluegill on September 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Have you and your iPhone tied the knot yet? Has it even proposed? I hope it’s at least buying you dinner first.

Good Lord, it’s a machine. Your iphone isn’t going to love you more because you kissed its @ss on the internet. I know, because I have an iPhone too, and have had it for years, and more recently got an ipad as well, and no matter how much I brag about them to my friends, they still refuse to let me attach more than one file to an email, or put attachments in email replies, or watch the hilarious Weiner-O’Donnell douchegeddon video. A phone or tablet that really loved me would let me do those things, at least once in awhile, on special occasions, if I’ve done all my chores and homework and eaten my brussel sprouts.

So maybe you and Palin and all your Tea-party extremist Apple-loving friends should just chillax and lay off the snobbery.

By the way, while I do still like my iphone and pad, I use them most when I’m in a LESS discerning mood. It’s a (mostly) convenient tool to use when I don’t feel like exerting any mental energy.

When I actually want to do real work, and function as an independent adult, I generally use a computer, preferably designed by someone who trusts me to know how to use a mouse with more than one button.

RINO in Name Only on September 11, 2013 at 2:52 AM

This isn’t a brand-cult thing for me, just the experience of a person who needs a phone that holds a charge. My iPhone 4s got to the point where it would hold a charge for 2 hours max if I actually wanted to use it. I traded it in for a Galaxy Note 2, and (granted, it’s all of two weeks old) it holds a charge for a day. The iPhone has a better map app (I say this as someone who is traveling 3 weeks out of 4, normally in a rental car in places I’ve never been) and music is simpler, but otherwise for how I use it, the Note is a better device. Specifically, the physical “buttons” ie touch screen are easier to use. Compared to the iPhone, the map app on the Note is useless, and I finally bypassed the Hub for Google Play – as an eye-opener, it dawned on me after a week of owning the thing that I was using my laptop far less, an unintended consequence that was welcomed.

King B on September 11, 2013 at 6:21 AM

Android users like to badmouth iPhone users…

…Android phones are often just what you get because there was some sale or because you never had a smartphone before and just got the first thing you saw.

bluegill on September 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM

But I think it is great that Android exists for the less discerning customers.

Irony, thy name is bluegill.

For my part, I have been using Android phones for about three years now, and I couldn’t be happier. I think the interface has a lot to do with the varied reactions to the software: I recently got my wife a Motorola smartphone and the menus are kind of janky compared to my experience; a friend of mine uses an older Galaxy to review apps and he grumbles about the download process. I sent him a video in response where I open the Play Store, do a text search for the app in question, and two button presses later I am running the app. Total length of video: < 45 seconds.

By contrast, each of my last two phones were from the Optimus line by LG. I was content with the S, though the internal memory on that phone was nigh worthless. When I got the G, I immediately became spoiled by the larger screen size, and Jellybean is far superior to Gingerbread.

I can understand concerns about Android OS versions prior to 3, but I wonder whether bluegill has used a Jellybean device.

But the good news for security is that Apple plans to skirt the edge of technology, and thwart the NSA by including dubious technology that existed on the Vista-powered Thinkpad my boss owned in 2008.

The Schaef on September 11, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Guessing one can opt in to using or not using the fingerprint password thing on the iPhone…

As said in the presentation, the fingerprint data stays on the phone. Apple does not have the data.

Android phones have fingerprint password apps.

albill on September 11, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Speaking of iphones and Hot Air…
Have you tried to go on Hot Air in the last couple of days with a smartphone or ipad device?
One of your advertisers hijacks your page and sends a smartphont/ipad person to the app store to download their “free” game app.
Hot Air is not accessible.

albill on September 11, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Had Android for years, switched all my family lines to iPhone in 2012 and I am much happier. May even upgrade my wife to 5s so she can take better pictures of the baby.

sebis on September 11, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I’m going to avoid the “Battle of the Smartphone Fanboys” and focus on the topic.

This is great news. For years, hardware manufacturers have been delaying implementations of hardware authentication into their devices simply because passwords were cheap and believed to be effective. Well, passwords are virtually useless now. Somebody finds a way to bypass some password authentication and the official response is to “make your passwords longer and more complex.”

While Apple is not the first to release this technology (Motorola was the first) it will force other smartphone developers to install biometric readers into their devices too.

The effectiveness of this new scanner is yet to be determined. Security researchers and attackers will find vulnerabilities. While passwords will still be around for years to come this announcement will have a positive impact on authentication.

I remember OS/2 some time back where one of it’s failings were that virtually all applications were created for Windows. I’m actually happy that both Apple and Android are on the market because I wouldn’t want one specific product to follow the Windows path by being the truly dominant force on the market. I have an iPhone 4, it does what I want, I like it and will keep it for some time.

Kingfisher on September 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Somebody should invent gloves.

CW on September 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM

“If the glove don’t fit, you must acquit!!!”

Smart move their prosecution. Leather shrinks when it gets really sopped – like in blood. Hahahahaha!

deadite on September 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM

If you ever want to shame an apple fanboy Tell them to whip out their phone and compare voice to text. At the end of the day its mostly down to taste, but there are a few key functionality areas where apple gets blown out of the water.

jhffmn on September 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I fear the time has come, my friends, to consider Android. End of an era.

Check your most used apps for compatibility, but consider Windows Phone 8 on the Lumia platform.

Daemonocracy on September 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM

So much stupidity in re: fingerprints!

Sensor degradation! Cutting off fingers! Spoofing fingerprints with tape! Oh my!

Read an article or two written by intelligent humans, folks!

OK, all better.

Prufrock on September 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

This is why people want to buy something that has a good chance of working. Each janky Android phone is a blow to Android’s cachet.

You love your LG. I have a POS from LG that makes me long for the SMOD every time I have to use it. LG is unlikely to have my business in the future. :)

Android’s virtues are many, when implemented properly. When not… disaster. Apple doesn’t have that problem, by design.

Prufrock on September 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM

/Apple flame ON

ClassicCon on September 11, 2013 at 1:53 AM

You work in the business? How darling!

I work with the bleeding edge of computing. Hundreds of thousands of cores (all Linux, naturally) in the compute sites, petabytes of data, massive requirements, build-your-own-cloud stuff.

Ten years ago, 95% of my colleagues used Windows or Linux on their desktops/laptops. They’re 90% on Macs now. They’re all power users and coders, writing analysis code in a variety of languages as a baseline requirement of their job.

You are a relic of a bygone era. Cheerio.

/Apple flame OFF

Prufrock on September 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM

The Schaef on September 11, 2013 at 7:08 AM

You haven’t been reading about Android security vulnerabilities, have you?

NSA loves them some data… but MS and Google are not exactly locked down. Apple fails on occasion, as do we all — but at least they try.

Prufrock on September 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Apple doesn’t have “janky” phones? Could have fooled me. Wife has an iPhone 5 and is constantly having problems with it. Bad audio output from the headphone jack, disconnecting randomly from the wireless network, more freezes than a box full of popsicles … We’ve relied on my old gnex out here in Communfornia for the America’s Cup. Its worked great except for taking a bit of time to get GPS signal. Two year old phone is still kicking ass and taking names with a better screen than the new iPhones. Apple has lost the allure and all they do now is play catch up. My Note 3 ones out in a few weeks. I can’t wait. A little nervous about abandoning stock android but I’m sure the bootloader will be unlocked and custom ROMs will be out for it by the time I actually get mine.

Defenestratus on September 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

And finally —

Allahpundit!

Out of ideas? I wish I had your sources inside Apple.

Did you or did you not see the processor performance comparisons? If they’re not total BS, this is a pretty impressive phone. There are few instances where Apple has upgraded power without compensating for the attendant battery drain.

The battery drain for games has always — ALWAYS — been terrible. Ask anyone with kids (cats?) who steal their device. If you’re doing eye-melting graphics, keep a charger handy. Everyone does. Said every kid/gamer, ever. Durrrr.

And in the meantime, that fast graphics chip will handle all manner of CPU-offloaded stuff far more efficiently, the system will be smooth, and the CPU will be able to sleep for many more happy cycles. No janky scrolling and etc.

By all means, jump to Fragmandroid — best of luck. But keep the opining to areas of competence. Like politics. ;)

Prufrock on September 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Sorry to hear it. Not my experience with the hardware at all, but like I said… jankiness kills cachet. You are an anecdotal case.

Since your anecdote swims against the statistical stream, you’ll pardon me if I tell you it’s an individual issue rather than a trend. :)

Android, in the meantime, has throughly earned its reputation as a jank factory. It will take a fair amount of properly-implemented Jellybean and KitKat to counter that. It will happen, and I wish Android the best. I certainly examine each new offering to see if this is the one.

All I want is the best tool. I want speed, longevity, updates, smoothness, support, durability, quality, compatibility with my (superior) Mac/Linux ecosystem and at least some design/taste (which totally excludes TouchWiz)

So far — nope. The Nexus 4 was close — watching for something good from the Nexus line.

Prufrock on September 11, 2013 at 10:13 AM

You work in the business? How darling!

You are a relic of a bygone era. Cheerio.

/Apple flame OFF

Prufrock on September 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM

So a bunch of code monkeys run at best an IDE and compiler that could probably be run on a chromebook and you fools wasted money on macs? I see your cloud in a can is based on linux…hmm…why not OSX? You throwing around the petabytes is cute I think we have a few of those in our multiple data centers.

Again…there is nothing apple devices do that cannot be handled more cost efficiently by linux/windows. See here:

The only possible conclusion why someone would purchase a mac if for simple insecure, vanity reasons. Trendy douches.

Oh and please lets go down the “gamer” angle with your precious macs…

ClassicCon on September 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Apple fanboys really get testy, don’t they?!
They remind me of libs when someone says a less-than-praiseworthy word about their savior, Obama.

“No, Apple products are better, because…, you know, …Apple!”

Sterling Holobyte on September 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Sorry you don’t like hearing the truth.

I have used both operating systems and vastly prefer iPhone.

And the iPhone camera is way better than what you get on most android phones.

bluegill on September 11, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Your post makes no sense. By definition you CAN NOT catergorize Andriod because unlike apple there are TONS of different models to choose from.Their plastic ones and glass ones and metal ones and fiber glass ones and ones with keyboards and ones with out keyboards and ones with big screens and ones with small screens and onese that are global and ones that are not and ones with good battery life and so on and so on.

Pricing? The apple 4 is free, the 4s is 99.99, the new 5c is 99.99 the new 5s is 199.99.
Andriod the s3 is 99.99 the s4 is 199.99 the note is 199.99, the hd max is 199.99.

I’m in cell phone sales and what I can tell you personally is that when people are shopping for a phone and they KNOW what they want 80% of the time they are going with a high end android. When I get someone who doesnt know what they want when they do choose an iPhone most of the times its just because thats what all their friends and family has. Not because they know the capabilities of it.

Just recently I had a friend ask me to go shopping with her, she said she liked the fact that my phone had a hd output, had the burst photo option and the face unlock but she wanted an iphone, I said why do you want an iphone and her reply was “I dont know, because their cool”

I get paid based off any phone I sell so I dont care which phone people chooses but for the most part iPhones are for people who just want an iphone because of the brand, good for apple theyve done a great job but its very very very rare for an high end android user to see something an iPhone can do and say “Oh, I wish my phone could do that” where as the opposite happens all the time.

Politricks on September 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I’m just happy I can call, and take pictures and it has a calculator and web pages.

They all do that, right?

Oh, no! The screen has a purple tint! I can’t have that in mah life, ohhhh….. LOL

Allahs vulva on September 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM

You haven’t been reading about Android security vulnerabilities, have you?

Prufrock on September 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I didn’t say Android was invulnerable to government intrusion. I only said that aged technology with a spotty track record is not a solution likely to make me sit up and take notice.

Politricks on September 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Truth. My Optimus G is the LG equivalent to the Galaxy S3, Nexus 4, iPhone 4, etc. Jellybean, nice big screen, LTE (if Sprint ever launches it in Ohio), decent battery life considering the paces I put it through, etc. My wife’s phone may be the last slide-out keyboard phone ever made; she loves them but everyone else is moving away from them. Her Motorola Photon Q has to be the weirdest collection of features ever: a slide-out-keyboard phone with touch (technically, her Rumor Touch had this), Jellybean, and LTE, which is why I shelled out the extra 50 bucks over the 3G model. She needs to keep that phone nice until the end of time, because I’m 97% certain the next time she wants to upgrade, slide-outs will be dead.

Point is, our two devices could not be more different, but they’re each suited to our uses for them. And they both have the same software under the hood. I don’t like Motorola’s UX, but what can you do? Other than choose a brand of your liking, of course…

The Schaef on September 11, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Oh and please lets go down the “gamer” angle with your precious macs…

ClassicCon on September 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Zealot.

You have no idea how silly you sound. Of course we use linux where it works. And then we use OS X where it works.

Here’s the project: http://atlas.web.cern.ch/Atlas/Collaboration/

And just an IDE/compiler on a chromebook? No — we need to actually, you know, do things.

I hope never to work with you. You seem to select your tools based on the same vanity and insecurity you project on me. I select my tools based on what works best, modulo transition costs. That was Windows, then Linux, then (post OS X 10.3) OS X. If something better comes along, I’m always watching. So are my colleagues. And nobody sane has ever accused physicists of being “trendy”. :)

And getting a Hackintosh to work is not worth my time. Literally. It’s too expensive.

As for “gaming”… who has the time? Some of us work. (Yeah, I know, cheap shot. But since you brought it up… what the hey.)

Prufrock on September 11, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Pretty much.

BVM on September 11, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I’m not sure if you know what exactly a Chromebook is, so I hope you’ll forgive me for answering this with a level of detail you may already know.

Chromebook is exactly that and nothing more: a notebook with Chrome. I got the Samsung model recently when my HP craptop bit the dust (three major hardware failures in the two years I owned it), and I find it a wonderful machine for Internetting, since I have so much cloud stuff on my various Google/Android devices.

But it’s not something you can install functional programs on, only Chrome extensions. And I wish to God there was a way for me to work from a cloud-only IDE but I haven’t found anything that would do what I want nearly as well as something like Visual Studio or Zend Studio/Eclipse. And I definitely don’t know of a code compiler browser app.

The Schaef on September 11, 2013 at 4:39 PM