Video: WH worried that Syria loss will cripple Obama presidency

posted at 12:41 pm on September 9, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

In a parliamentary system, a rejection of a war authorization pushed by a prime minister could easily turn into a vote of no confidence and the end of a government.  In the American system, it might just mean the  end of the President’s credibility — and a historic humiliation for the Commander in Chief.  Chuck Todd tells Today that this is what is driving desperation at the White House, as Congress grows increasingly hostile to hostilities:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Will the public buy the “patriotism” argument? That it’s our duty to intervene in the Syrian civil war because, er, America? Not only will that fail to convince anyone — and it’s certainly been tried over the past week and is failing so far — but that expresses even more desperation.  An old adage warns that “patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel,” but in this context it’s the last refuge of the desperately incompetent as well. In the earlier CNN poll, almost three-quarters of Americans reject the idea that this will address any national interest, and waving the flag isn’t an argument that will change a lot of minds on war.  It might change minds on Obama himself, though, and not for the better.

This is a perfect time to remind people of Morrissey’s Axiom: In politics and dating, desperation is not an aphrodisiac.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Obama overheard while stuck on WH elevator:

Obama: “You know, my last job was a lot easier”

Unnamed courtier: “Really? When you were in the Senate?”

Obama: “No, when I was in charge of the Office of the President-Elect”

BobMbx on September 9, 2013 at 6:05 PM

One more for Bmore

Schadenfreude on September 9, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Mr. Vice President? Mr. Vice President.

Time to come in now, your bath is drawn and your clean underwear is all laid out for you.

Meremortal on September 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM

pardon me, but did I miss a post from libfreeordie today?

socalcon on September 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM

pardon me, but did I miss a post from libfreeordie today?

socalcon on September 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM

First day of classes, so he’s all excited over the new prospects students, no time for HA.

slickwillie2001 on September 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Is it just the WH that is worried about the President being crippled?

Because it sure looks like the usual sycophants in the lamestream media are awfully worried about Barack Obama becoming a crippled and broken President not even one year into his second term.

Athos on September 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM

pardon me, but did I miss a post from libfreeordie today?

socalcon on September 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM

slickwillie2001 on September 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Seems more like choosing discretion over posting and being whacked by multiple clue-by-fours?

Athos on September 9, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I wonder what will alquaida find interesting in Syria if there no chemical weapons there…..

Can.I.be.in.the.middle.of.2.dude.with.big.wangs

Perhaps the same things they found interesting about Afghanistan despite there being no chemical weapons there.

xblade on September 9, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Chuck Todd (D-NBC) constantly frets about Obama’s popularity instead of his job.

Old eagle on September 10, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Crippled his presidency? That happened within the first couple of months that he took office, with his transparency speech (lie). I used to respect the office, even when a Democrat was in office. I have absolutely no respect for the office of the president, nor any Congressman. I happen to Like Ted Cruz, but I don’t trust him either. Look at the turncoat Paul Ryan, and Marco Rubio. You just can’t trust the US government, period.

F_This on September 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM