Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on September 8, 2013 by Allahpundit

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to a foreign policy fiasco…

It is to President Obama’s great discredit that he has staked this credibility on a vote whose outcome he failed to game out in advance. But if he loses that vote, the national interest as well as his political interests will take a tangible hit: for the next three years, American foreign policy will be in the hands of a president whose promises will ring consistently hollow, and whose ability to make good on his strategic commitments will be very much in doubt.

This is not an argument that justifies voting for a wicked or a reckless war, and members of Congress who see the Syria intervention in that light must necessarily oppose it.

But if they do, they should be prepared for the consequences: a damaged president, a potentially crippled foreign policy and a long, hard, dangerous road to January 2017.

***

Each morning for the last week, at 7:45, more than a dozen White House aides have mustered in the corner office of President Obama’s chief of staff, Denis R. McDonough, to get their marching orders for what has become the most intense, uphill lobbying campaign of the Obama presidency

To improve its odds, the White House is enlisting virtually every senior official from the president on down. In addition to members of Congress, it is reaching out to Jewish groups, Arab-Americans, left-leaning think tanks and even officials from the George W. Bush administration, some of whom are acting as surrogates…

The next phase of the campaign will be more individualized, and more from Mr. Obama himself. Democrats who are balking are being asked at least to vote against Republican procedural moves meant to delay or derail an up-or-down vote. After all the arguments are exhausted, aides said, it will come down to a personal pitch: the president needs you to save him from a debilitating public defeat…

The advocates will carry a simple message, according to a person involved in the effort: Syria is a proxy for Iran, and the failure to enforce Mr. Obama’s “red line” against the use of chemical weapons by Mr. Assad will be interpreted in Tehran as a sign that he will not enforce a red line against the production of nuclear weapons by the Iranian government.

***

The decision to use military force is one of the gravest responsibilities Members of Congress face, and it is one that I take very seriously. I have heard presentations and testimonies from the Administration on their case for military action, have read and studied the text of the authorization for the use of military force that will come before the Senate next week, and have listened to the concerns of thousands of Arkansans as I have traveled the state.

I have said, before any military action in Syria is taken, the Administration must prove a compelling national security interest, clearly define a mission that has a definitive end-state, and then build a true coalition of allies that would actively participate in any action we take. Based on the information presented to me and the evidence I have gathered, I do not believe these criteria have been met, and I cannot support military action against Syria at this time.

***

Top Bush administration officials have mobilized to sway a skeptical Republican party to authorize military intervention in Syria. As National Review Online reported, former national security adviser Stephen Hadley and former undersecretary of defense for policy Eric Edelman this week led a briefing on Capitol Hill for Republican legislative directors and chiefs of staff…

Hadley and Edelman urged House members to view the Syria issue in a broad context, in particular through the prism of Iran and America’s goal of extracting a negotiated settlement from President Rouhani and the mullahs. “In the Middle East, all issues are linked to each other,” they told the group. They encouraged a consideration of the Syria problem in light of the prospect of Iran armed with a nuclear weapon and, even absent that, as a nation seeking hegemony in the Gulf.

Their argument: If you hope to have a negotiated settlement with Iran, they only way you are going to get there is if the Iranians actually believe the use of force lies behind America’s efforts to negotiate. Hamstringing the president’s effort to use force against Syria now will “absolutely cripple and destroy” the chance to reach a diplomatic settlement with Iran.

***

The majority of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans serving in Congress are lining up against President Obama’s plan for military action in Syria.

Of the 16 veterans of those two conflicts serving in Congress, only GOP Reps. Adam Kinzinger (Ill.) and Tom Cotton (Ark.) have publicly supported the White House’s plan…

Their ranks include Rep. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.), who lost both legs during combat operations in Iraq in 2004. She is adamantly opposed to a U.S. strike on Syria.

When Washington decides to use military force “it’s military families like mine that are the first to bleed,” she said in a statement this week.

***

Now the president who saw no benefit in wooing Democrats on the Hill is desperate for their love. Nancy Pelosi, the San Francisco peacenik, will have to win Barry the right to bomb.

Those around him say that, after the British poodle slipped its leash, Obama faced a gut check on his decision to have a strike. He had to dig deep and decide “This is who I am,” and be true to himself. To be Barry, editor of the Harvard Law Review.

In some ways, his reaction reflects his tendency toward mixing high principles with low motives. He believes it is proper to get Congressional approval and let the people chime in. But he also wanted to make life difficult for Congressional Republicans who like to “snipe,” using his word, from the sidelines with no accountability. He wanted to call their blustery bluff.

But who is going to get bluffed?

Obama had to know that once he threw this into the Congress, it was likely done for.

***

“Syria didn’t sneak up on us three weeks ago,” said Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), a White House antagonist who opposes authorizing force against Syria. “This has been a growing problem for nearly two years. President Obama and Secretary [Hillary] Clinton totally failed from day one to deal with the problem, articulate a strategy and communicate with Congress.”

When Obama changed his mind on whether to seek congressional approval to attack Syria, he did so in a Saturday afternoon Rose Garden address on a holiday weekend, the opening weekend of the college football season. Instead of having laid the groundwork and built quiet support to convince Congress and the public to back a use-of-force authorization and later announcing the president’s intent to do so, the White House worked in reverse.

Then Obama left the country for a trip to Sweden and the G-20 summit in Russia, stops that highlighted the administration’s inability to marshal much international opinion behind striking the regime, beyond a coalition even smaller than the one that supported Bush’s Iraq war.

***

[M]ost of what happens in foreign policy has nothing to do with threats—thank goodness. But that doesn’t mean that credibility isn’t important. Here’s one: in any negotiation with between the Palestinians and the Israelis, part of what the US will need to do is put some financial sweeteners on the table for the Palestinians—aid, compensation for refugees, whatever. The problem will be that these are empty promises unless Congress backs them up. Palestinians aren’t stupid; they know that foreign aid and especially aid for Palestinians isn’t exactly the most popular cause in the US. They will look at a president who’s just been repudiated in the most humiliating and direct way and ask themselves whether he can persuade Congress to pay up. They are likely to conclude that he can’t, and therefore will see the negotiations as a charade.

That’s just one example. Our Asian allies are being asked to bet the farm on whether the “pivot to Asia” will be real and whether it will last. Can President Obama push military appropriations through Congress? Can they assume that the next administration will follow through on commitments he makes?…

The vote on Syria will be a vote of confidence in President Obama’s leadership, and it will be seen around the world as a crucial test of his standing and power as President of the United States. There are good reasons to vote against what appears to be a classic example of inept military action in Syria, but to think that this vote won’t have serious consequences for President Obama’s ability to conduct the nation’s business is to stick your head in the sand.

***

As has been touched upon here before, the desire to avoid America in another foreign conflict is understandable. But if that is the policy, the president of the United States should not state that presidents of countries in upheaval (e.g., Bashar Assad) “must go,” should not draw “red lines” and ignore them, should not devise plans to punish rogue leaders but not actually damage their war-making ability, should not promise action and send forces to carry out the action, and then have, in current parlance, a public “conversation” with himself about whether to do anything, and should not thereby abdicate his great office in all respects except the salary and perquisites…

President Truman famously said, “The buck stops here,” and he was right. The American public despises Congress, with good reason. Most of the members are venal, politically cowardly, and incompetent; the idea of those 535 log-rolling gas-bags sharing the command of the U.S. armed forces does not bear thinking about. And if the United States is effectively blasé about countries using chemical weapons on their people, as it apparently is about the formerly “unacceptable” development of nuclear weapons by Iran, this depressing news should be imparted to the world explicitly by the administration and not left to be surmised from the waffling of the Congress.

What is more worrisome than the fact that the United States has an inadequate president, is that the public still accords the incumbent a significant degree of support. If the American people, who have responded to intelligent leadership so often within living memory, has become so morally obtuse that it buys into this flimflam, the problem is more profound than I imagined.

***

Representative Jim McGovern recommended that the Obama administration drop his request for congressional approval for military action in Syria because he doesn’t have the votes.

“If I were the president, I would withdraw my request for the authorization at this particular point,” said the Massachusetts Democrat, who opposes the military strike, on State of the Union this morning. “I don’t believe the support is there in Congress.”

***

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Via the Corner.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

I just L O V E … that walleye poster.

listens2glenn on September 9, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Thumbs up..It is a good site..I think you will like it..:)

Dire Straits on September 9, 2013 at 1:55 AM

I must not be slinky. ;)

bazil9 on September 9, 2013 at 1:50 AM

LOL — I thought about you when I wrote that! I really did. And Gopher. b9 — you could have my email, my real one, in five minutes. All you ever need do is contact me through my site and give me somewhere to write. :) So, should you ever want.

Too funny. :)

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Yeah, the Bush’s need a harder looking into…

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 9, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Yeah……..that’s just Effing BRILLIANT!!

Here Barack Obama and his minion are SETTING EARTH ABLAZE and Murdering Thousands – and Trying to BLAME mmmBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH at every turn……

…and What’s your Reaction?

“We need to look into mmmBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!! more”

Just Effing Brilliant!

Why don’t you go apply for a job a Time Magazine or MSNBC – bet they’d LOVE to have you!!

williamg on September 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I always like the love stories where the woman gets swept off her feet. Where the man find something wonderful in/about her that she never even knew about herself. Sort of hidden beauty

I think Jane Eyre is one of my favorite love stories of all time.

gophergirl on September 9, 2013 at 1:47 AM

I’m glad I poked you. That’s exactly what I was looking for. :) Thanks, Gopher :) (wyan),

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 1:55 AM

lol..was teasing you.
I don’t think I am slinky..whatever that means. ;)

bazil9 on September 9, 2013 at 1:58 AM

lol…willg said anywhere and $ no object.
screw Fl then. :]

bazil9 on September 9, 2013 at 1:49 AM

…..and I Meant it!……

williamg on September 9, 2013 at 1:59 AM

*lights up a cig*

tommy71 on September 9, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Oh, and most critical of all… your reader needs to be sympathetic to your characters, even your antagonist to some extent. For instance, he, too, loves the protagonist’s lover and is genuinely tortured by his unrequited love. Doesn’t mean he may not behave in a despicable manner, it just means he has feelings, too, and the reader understands his motivations.

There should be instances intentionally interjected into the plot that serve to amplify the humanity of the characters, and in the case of the protagonist and is lover, to make the reader care about them and what happens to them specifically. Moments that say “This is the guy who…..” or “This is the woman who….” and in that ‘who’ defines their personality.

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 2:00 AM

bazil9 on September 9, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Good evening, B9.:)

I’m sorry… what didn’t I interpret?

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 2:03 AM

*lights up a cig*

tommy71 on September 9, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Is that haram? Halal? Kosher, whatever? :)

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 2:03 AM

For All We Know – Chet Baker

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM

You’re welcome

gophergirl on September 9, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Reading everything you’re writing Jack. (And I’m with TXUS. Nothing wrong with the number five.)

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 2:05 AM

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always.

Live in the moment.

“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 2:05 AM

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 2:03 AM

I mentioned to axe..you could perhaps interpret what it is/was about Bridges of Madison County and The Notebook that reeled me in-Romance wise-
From a writers perspective. I can’t explain.

bazil9 on September 9, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Its gonna come down to ‘red line’ and ‘its for ze cheeeldreen’.

tommy71 on September 9, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 2:05 AM

I stopped at two. Going back to work. Goodnight, Axefellow. :)

You know where to find me. :)

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 2:06 AM

…..and I Meant it!……

williamg on September 9, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Which makes it hard! :]
I gave you a few..J gave you Barbados.
I will give it more thought this week.
Besides locking yourself in a room with smokin’
what are you looking for?

bazil9 on September 9, 2013 at 2:09 AM

gophergirl on September 9, 2013 at 2:04 AM

What happened to the Vikings today??..Did you watch the game??..Any opinion??..:)

Dire Straits on September 9, 2013 at 2:11 AM

You know where to find me. :)

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 2:06 AM

’cause you make it a point to make sure all the stud-muffin superman types know where to find you. :)

*sigh*

*checks nails*

Night Jack. :)

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 2:14 AM

bazil9 on September 9, 2013 at 2:06 AM

I’m sorry…I missed it.

In the case of those particular films, it is especially the human element, human experience, that I’ve been discussing with Axefellow.

We understand and empathize with characters who feel what we might feel, who experience events and emotions that we can sympathize with and understand and which evoke an emotional response in us. How many times have you been watching a film and said “I would never do that.” or ” I would have said _____” or “I know just how he/she feels”? This is because you are invested in the story and in the characters and their fate. The same can be said of literature. Those two films deal specifically in presenting experiences and feelings, highlighted by various visual triggers, that we all recognize. They are meant to evoke certain responses and emotions in the viewer and they do so very well. From joy and love to despair and sorrow, those film take the viewer on an emotional journey.

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 2:15 AM

axe..check your sketch thingy.

bazil9 on September 9, 2013 at 2:15 AM

axe..check your sketch thingy.

bazil9 on September 9, 2013 at 2:15 AM

o cool. brb :)

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 2:17 AM

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 2:15 AM

thx! yeah..that explains it pretty well.

ps.passed on my addy through axes sketch thingy.
said to pass it on.

bazil9 on September 9, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Dire Straits on September 9, 2013 at 2:11 AM

They thought it was still the preseason?

Honestly I’m not sure Ponder is the right QB. He should be better by now.

gophergirl on September 9, 2013 at 2:20 AM

gophergirl on September 9, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Dire Straits on September 9, 2013 at 2:11 AM

PS..Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on September 9, 2013 at 2:20 AM

o cool. brb :)

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Did you want my real e-mail – I went to your site and quite frankly I’m a bit lost LOL!

gophergirl on September 9, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Yeah, the Bush’s need a harder looking into…

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 9, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Yeah……..that’s just Effing BRILLIANT!!

…and What’s your Reaction?

“We need to look into mmmBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!! more”

Just Effing Brilliant!

williamg on September 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Get a grip. Bush is as crooked as the rest of them. I’ll never regret voting for him because the alternative would have sucked even more.

Still waiting to hear what Bremer did with those billions of dollars, how high up the Haliburton no-bid contract authorizations went, why TARP was something that Bush, McCain, and Obummer could all agree upon, and many, many more things. Of course the earth was going to be “set ablaze” back when the big banks wanted us to cover their losses.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 9, 2013 at 2:22 AM

gophergirl on September 9, 2013 at 2:22 AM

omg — the coolness continues. :) wth man. nothing short of Sophie kissing me flat on the lips could make this any better.

You needed to go to the site map. Then About/Contact. :) I deliberately didn’t put a contact button anywhere but the site map, cause, “People.” — sheesh.

Skip it though: just click.

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Honestly I’m not sure Ponder is the right QB. He should be better by now.

gophergirl on September 9, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Agreed..Adrian Peterson can’t do it all by himself..:(

Dire Straits on September 9, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Just did it – now you know my real name. They mystery is all gone :(

gophergirl on September 9, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Good night all – I have to get up for work in 4 1/2 hours

gophergirl on September 9, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Nite GG.
It is slinky sleepy time.
Out~

bazil9 on September 9, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 9, 2013 at 2:22 AM

When you blither like Keith Overbite – I’m going to respond like you are……and Overbite is an idiot!

As far as Halliburton – there are two international “engineering” companies that do anything close to what they can do:

Them and Bechtel. And Bechtel doesn’t have a much resources.

Check your facts. They have the same percentage of government contracts that they’ve had for 30 years. They actually had a little less during Bush’s time in office. Obama uses them Even More! This hasn’t changed…….unless you’re Keith Ovebite.

Bush stood up to history, never blamed anyone else or pointed fingers, was responsible and accountable – for which The Treasonous Media held him in CONTEMPT, and “Owned” the results of his actions. HE ordered the surge in Iraq — NOT McLame.

As for the Rest of your Media-Dirven Conspiracy Theories and mmmBOOOOOOOSH Hatred…….I’ve only got THIS to say about it (see link). You’re nonsensical – and I’ll bet your tune to MSNBC and The Ed Show more than once a week,

Bellowing at mmmBOOOOOOOOSH only helps one Side: The Enemy! They LOVE the excuse for a Distraction – so do their friends in The Treasonous Media.

williamg on September 9, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Just did it – now you know my real name. They mystery is all gone :(

gophergirl on September 9, 2013 at 2:34 AM

And it’s beautiful. :)

Good night all – I have to get up for work in 4 1/2 hours

gophergirl on September 9, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Night, GG. Sorry, GG (wyan) — the 4 hours thing :).

It is slinky sleepy time.
Out~

bazil9 on September 9, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Night b9. :)

Sorry I missed you guys. But I had to check mail. One man. One man, people.

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 2:55 AM

All right, who’s still up to say howdy too????

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM

All right, who’s still up to say howdy too????

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM

I look dead, but I’m still here. :)

You good, guy? Tough days.

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 2:57 AM

I’m alright, have my moments, but I start first shift today and I’m up ready to go to work, my clock is messed up…….

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Which makes it hard! :]
I gave you a few..J gave you Barbados.
I will give it more thought this week.
Besides locking yourself in a room with smokin’
what are you looking for?

bazil9 on September 9, 2013 at 2:09 AM

For which I am eternally, eternally grateful! Thank you, B9! I was just chiming in….

While locking myself in a room with Smokin’ Hot and Young is nice…….

I’m looking for peace……stress relief……memories to add to my life……

Life experiences to embrace…….believe it or not it’s kind of stressful what I do…..if you want we can talk about that sometime……it helps us have electrical power…..something that this administration is somehow philosophically against, i think……but keep supporting……

When I was trying to save my marriage I few 6 people to Shanghai. My former wife, a friend, son and daughter and friends. It was a horribly painful time – but the memories are wonderful.

I’m getting old now. One of the GFs I no longer date said to me “I have to watch getting naked. I get naked too quickly”.

I’m probably screwed up, but I’m 57 – I looked at my internal watch and thought: “I think we need to do that sooner. I don’t have much time left……..I can always talk….”

Probably inappropriate and short-sighted and caddish of me……but there it is. I don’t date her anymore.

Your help if appreciated. Very much,,,

williamg on September 9, 2013 at 3:04 AM

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM

People have been asking about you. :) Here and there.

1st is normal. :)

Can’t stand it.

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 3:04 AM

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Mike, are you still here? :)

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 3:06 AM

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Looks like I missed you, again. :(

Dang.

We miss you. Come back more often. :)

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 3:09 AM

I popped in late and gave a howdy, a few days ago, but it was late. Tough deal with mom, up every couple hours, and it was when I was starting to pop back in, life can throw a lot of curves, and I’ve never been one to hit it out of the park. I should be back on second in a couple weeks,so “I’ll be back”……;-)

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Jackie
Still here hon, like I say, I’ll pop in when I can, I took over a house, I need a maid ..mor something……;-)

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:12 AM

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:10 AM

I’m so very sorry, Mike. Life can be rough, indeed. Still, you’re a solid guy. You’ll make it.

When you’re ready, we’ll be here. :)

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Or something, dang new phone…:-/

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:14 AM

I’ve just missed you a couple times Jackie, I know everyone told ya, I miss you guys too, but with switching shifts, again and again my body is screwed up……
So hi Jackie, hope all is well…….;)

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:17 AM

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Between the shift changes and the stress it’s important that you remember to take care of yourself, too, Mike. Try to eat well and get enough rest.

I’m fine. I’ve missed you, though. :)

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 3:18 AM

One thing that I noticed, Bari is still clueless…..;-D

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:19 AM

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:19 AM

LOL! Some things never change. :)

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Been trying to eat right, I’m not all that hungry, but I’ll eat anyway. Gotta keep the body in shape……
I’ve missed, almost, everybody, especially b9, Bmore, Resist, and you, but I will be around……. Soon……;-)

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:23 AM

I want to wish you a goodnight, Mike, but you’re about to go to work, so I guess I’ll wish you a great day, instead.

It’s so good to see you here again. Take care of yourself. I’ll see you soon. :)

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 3:24 AM

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:23 AM

I know what it’s like when you lose your appetite like that, Mike. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep taking good care of yourself. It’s important.

Whenever you want to talk, I’ll be here, and Axe can get me a message, too. :)

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Back at ya Jackie, hugs, don’t forget I still have a blog……….;-)

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:26 AM

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:26 AM

I won’t forget. I drop by from time to time. :)

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Back at ya Jackie, hugs, don’t forget I still have a blog……….;-)

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:26 AM

I avoid it, now. Makes me miss my girlfriend. :)

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Thank you, as a pretty private person, I have been yapping a lot, but I’ll be back to normal, now go to bed, I’ll tuck ya in….;-D

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:29 AM

I’ll check in….;-)

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:30 AM

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:29 AM

I can’t resist and offer like that! :) Yes, please. :) Goodnight, Mike. :)

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 3:31 AM

I’m sorry axe, well just have to find you another one, there’s plenty out there. Oh I just posted rumpday…… ;-D

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Night Jackie. ;-*

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Oh I just posted rumpday…… ;-D

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:32 AM

lol

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 3:34 AM

I’m gonna go look for some news, anyone who sees this please tell B9, Bmore, sparky, Resist and the rest of the motley crew I am good and howdy…….;-)

*poof*

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:37 AM

*poof*

angrymike on September 9, 2013 at 3:37 AM

^bump.

Night, night crew. :) Morning, morning crew. :)

Axe on September 9, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Still can’t figure out their end game here…?

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 9, 2013 at 1:09 AM

I look at it as insurance for the Republicans to take over in 2016. Obama won on Bush/war fatigue and nothing else. A Democrat with a warm body would have won the presidency. That will be true for 2016, if we go into Syria…add in a poor economy and terrible employment numbers, 2016 is handed to “anything but a Democrat.”

herm2416 on September 9, 2013 at 4:07 AM

williamg on September 9, 2013 at 2:48 AM

OK, so you’re a “Bushie”, I get it.

So where is this wonderful President since Fast and Furious, Benghazi, the NSA spying and now Syria? Huh? Sitting back protecting his “legacy”? What legacy? He and his pals got the ball rolling on this tremendous debt we’re facing which was the perfect excuse for the Dumocrats to add even more. Did Bush suddenly quit the GOP since his tenure in the White House ended?

He hasn’t come out to speak on behalf of the Liberties of the American people once since he’s been out of office. Meanwhile, our country goes down the crapper. Conclusion: Bush doesn’t really give a damn and therefore probably never did.

The main thing in President Bush’s favor, in my view, is that anyone who p—ed off the Libtards that much must have been doing at least some things right.

herm2416 on September 9, 2013 at 4:07 AM

I would hope so, but I don’t trust this bunch to go away quietly. The mere fact that Obummer got elected not just once, but twice really concerns me. Somebody with a heck of a lot of power and influence groomed him and got him where he is today, and no one is sure who that is.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 9, 2013 at 4:37 AM

Wow. I started to think the Bush folks were complete idiots now I’, sure of it.

Anyone thinking they can negotiate with Iran is clueless imbecile and not worthy of being taken seriously.

dogsoldier on September 9, 2013 at 6:00 AM

Good Morning, Patriots! …and, Trolls.

“I was a little Jakarta street kid,” he said in a wide-ranging interview in his office. He once got in trouble for making faces during Koran study classes in his elementary school, but a president is less likely to stereotype Muslims as fanatics — and more likely to be aware of their nationalism — if he once studied the Koran with them.

Mr. Obama recalled the opening lines of the Arabic call to prayer, reciting them with a first-rate accent. In a remark that seemed delightfully uncalculated (it’ll give Alabama voters heart attacks), Mr. Obama described the call to prayer as “one of the prettiest sounds on Earth at sunset.”

- Nicholas Kristof, The New York Times, March 6, 2007

My take: “The Syria Situation: Speak Loudly and Carry a Nerf Gun:

kingsjester on September 9, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Yep,Obama is mobilizing everybody -everybody but the American people.Not this time Barry!

redware on September 9, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Your link is busted, KJ.

Naturally Curly on September 9, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Bill Kristol on Morning Joe banging his war drum. Weasel.

Naturally Curly on September 9, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Naturally Curly on September 9, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Try this.

kingsjester on September 9, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Don’t need a sign, we already have a 4-5 year track record proving that he will not enforce the red line against Iran!

shanimal on September 9, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Excellent take, KJ. The whole world sees him for what he is, and it’s not a pretty sight.

Naturally Curly on September 9, 2013 at 7:47 AM

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I can’t write like that, unfortunately. What I do try to write, poorly, yes, is a ‘slice of life’ sort of fiction and mostly use fanfic because that gets the most ‘what if…?’ sorts of responses to the characters and their settings. Once you get the ‘what if…?’ the rest of the story can develop from there via the characters (protagonist, antagonist and others) who must have a firm background that you can at least outline to yourself so that you know where they are coming from.

Unlike reality, fiction must be internally consistent, which means, to me, that you don’t have things thrown in to show a character’s qualities and traits, but that the character will demonstrate them through the arising events. The thrown in stuff is jarring to me, because I know its purpose and when it is not well thought out it can ruin the continuity of the entire story. Finding the naturally happening events that arise from a story to show what you would like to show can be difficult, yes, and you have to ask yourself: ‘if it doesn’t come naturally from this line events, then why am I writing this story?’ At least if that is your goal.

Due to my background as a gamer, GM/DM, and someone who likes a deep background in worlds to drive stories forward, I find that the characters express themselves through their actions in response to events with their backgrounds: some can find resources that they didn’t know they had, others can have resources they had but took for granted or were blind to pointed out to them, and some are professionals who find themselves out of their comfort zone, yet must respond as best they can in situations alien to them. My background puts that into play and since I don’t see stories as having a true beginning, middle and end (unless you are shutting the universe down, which is its own genre of stories) there will always be loose-ends, situations left unexplored and further events that happen in response to the actions already taken.

Far better consistent fiction than the insanely inconsistent world we live in. You could not write our present situation as fiction as little as 20 years ago: no one would believe it as it makes no sense at all. It would be a ‘bad novel’ and get few readers. Yet here we are, and it sucks just like any bad story does, and yet we can’t return it to the shop for a refund and no one would want to buy it second hand, either.

ajacksonian on September 9, 2013 at 7:56 AM

kingsjester on September 9, 2013 at 7:28 AM

…great kj….and I’m not watching or listening tomorrow night!

KOOLAID2 on September 9, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Ted Baxter beating the war drums for Obama…

On this issue, (Bill) O’Reilly should rename his “Talking Points Memo” the “Obama Talking Points Memo.” He is one of the best allies that Obama has going for him as he attempts to persuade conservatives in the House to vote for war…

Grrrr…. th.

Fallon on September 9, 2013 at 8:44 AM

williamg on September 9, 2013 at 2:48 AM

OK, so you’re a “Bushie”, I get it.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 9, 2013 at 4:37 AM

You “get” NOTHING!

You haven’t even Figured Out WHO is the Current Occupant (and i mean that word literally) of The White House.

You’re arguing about the WRONG Presidency.

Bush is doing something his recent predecessors FORGOT how to do:

Honor The Office with his Silence.

The more he does it – the more I like it.

The Toadies, however – which do NOT belong to him…..they belong to Themselves……still haven’t learned that lesson – like their mentors Carter and Clinton.

Keep Screaming “mmmmBOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH” – The NYT Loves It!!

williamg on September 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM

williamg on September 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM

He’s not honoring the office with his silence, he’s may be a closet Lib for all I know. Some of his policies were a little pinko if you ask me. I ignored it when he was in office because I knew that the Libtard alternatives were far worse. But his silence on the Syrian issue makes me think that he’s down with the Obama plan.

As for his minions, how do we know he’s not sending them out there in his stead and agrees with them in trying to get the GOP to go along with this?

Tell me, how is it good for the de facto leader of the Republican Party to sit there and go horseback riding and iron out the details of his presidential library while his people suffer under this Communist regime?

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 9, 2013 at 3:44 PM

ajacksonian on September 9, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Good afternoon, ajacksonian. :)

Interesting comment and insight. The portion of a running conversation to which you responded, was in the discussion of character driven fiction. The approach you’ve described is relevant to plot driven fiction. The point that I was making, “this is the guy who”, was that devices should be deliberately used to convey information regarding the character to the reader/viewer without resorting to big blocks of narrative, which would pull the reader out of the story, in order to define how and why any given character acts or reacts, while allowing the reader to become invested in the fate of the character.

In writing for games, one of the most difficult elements for the writer is that so much relating to both plot and character are dictated by the mechanics of the game and the game world.

In writing from the moment of concept, rather than around the dictates of a game, in determining the plot and the individual characters the options are wide open, however there are still limitations. Th writer is limited by human experience, the degree to which genre dictates adherence to physical law, and logic.

If physical law, or the readers informed expectation of the laws governing certain characters or worlds, is altered for any reason those changes must be explained and resolved in character and plot. For instance, most readers are informed about the physical laws governing vampires through folklore/fiction/film to which they’ve previously been exposed… can’t tolerate sunlight, allergic to garlic, destroyed through stake through the heart, etc…If the writer needs for the vampire character to be able to tolerate sunlight in order to advance the plot, the writer must explain the exception to the readers understanding of the physical laws governing the vampire character. If these differences, these breaches in the logic of the character or world are not explained the reader is out of the story fretting about the inconsistency. This explanation, expressed through the characters movement through the plot is a device, used because it allows the reader to understand and become invested without use of narrative. This is true of writing for games as much as it is for any form of fiction.

In the best fiction, it will appear to the reader that the character is reacting to, or shaping, the plot events, however, those events are always carefully and deliberately calculated with those reactions which would be consistent, literally in character, for any given character in mind. This is the guy who——–.

Thanks for the comment. I should have been clearer about the use of device as a means to eliminate the necessity of pulling the reader/viewer out of the story with narrative.

thatsafactjack on September 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 9, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Okay – I’ve been patient, but there’s not avoiding the obvious at this point:

You’re and Idiot.

Possibly a Liberal sent here to stir things up – but definitely and idiot. Even Grin Bleck doesn’t have such paranoid fantasies…….granted – he’s not capable of coherent cognitive thought developed enough to have them…..but you’re close….

williamg on September 9, 2013 at 9:55 PM

williamg on September 9, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Yeah, and you neo-cons have managed to get Clinton and Obama elected twice each with your Conservative Lite, statist candidates and you’re clamoring for more while living in your fantasy world where real conservatives who think your GOP insider Beltway boys and girls are closet Liberals are Liberal trolls.

Both Bush and Kerry are both members of the Skull and Bones Society. Clinton and Bush hung out together at Bohemian Grove engaged in the Pagan man rituals or whatever it is they do there.

They’re all on the same team. Both parties are criminal organizations seeking to enslave us and rob us and you’re just fine with that.

Go ahead and swoon over George Bush and his “legacy” while our country dies under the boot heel of the State that you so clearly seem to be in love with.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 10, 2013 at 5:48 AM