Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads

posted at 8:01 am on September 8, 2013 by Allahpundit

Now that Obama and Kerry have failed epically to sell a Syria attack to Congress (let alone to the public), it’s White House chief of staff Denis McDonough’s turn. He’ll pull a rare “full Ginsburg” this morning to try to convince skeptics that bombing Assad will be the most successful U.S. intervention since, er, Libya.

The Sunday shows have a nice mix of hawks and doves today, with Rand Paul and Justin Amash representing the latter on “Fox News Sunday” and “Face the Nation,” respectively. The one to watch, though, is “This Week” on ABC. Ted Cruz will speak for anti-interventionists; on the other side is GOP Rep. Adam Kinzinger, who rhetorically smacked Cruz more than once this week for describing potential U.S. military assets in Syria as “Al Qaeda’s air force.” Hopefully they’ll be on together to square that away. The full line-up is at Politico.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

breffnian on September 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Taking out Assad will bring The Muslim Brotherhood’s off-shoot, the perpetrators of 9/11, al-Qaeda, into power in Syria.

How in the Name of all that is Holy would that help the Christians in Syria?

kingsjester on September 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM

About those sad sad videos shown to Congress.

I’ve seen lots of these. People are so gullible.

HotAirian on September 8, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I wonder if the France 2 network had anything to do with these videos?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on September 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Melissa Harris Perry on MSNBC saying the public is not behind this…but the public has been wrong on war before.

We’ve gone down the rabbit hole, folks.

Grace_is_sufficient on September 8, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I do hope the anti-war Left is prepared for the fallout of being on the wrong part of the partisan divide with the President.

Like the IRS audits you will suffer.

Won’t that be great to have Moveon.org audited like a Tea Party group? And International ANSWER? Yes, I can hardly wait until those in such organizations now find out exactly what its like to be against the President…

If they bother to actually show up.

And not in the 10% range of their previous rallies, either.

But all those who attended anti-Iraq war rallies under these banners.

I might actually take them seriously.

And I’m talking Beckian numbers here, not your mere hundreds or couple of thousands.

ajacksonian on September 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I think the Ditherer-in-Chief wants nothing more than to unwind this whole affaire. The talking heads shows are nothing more than chaff to distract the media while the Golfer-in-Chief does his thing.

JimK on September 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Should I hold my breath waiting for Hotair to post something about another of Barky’s sons beating whitey into a coma in broad daylight in Union Square after having announced to the surrounding crowd that he was going to &#^#% up the next white person who walked by? I understand that this is just another isolated incident that has nothing to do with all the other isolated incidents that are about exactly the same …

Police are still trying to figure out what the motive of the attack was. I think that the NY city cops might be secret Hotair bloggers.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on September 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Roger Staubach is hosting Governor Donut of New Jersey at the Cowboy game tonite.

Cause Christie is a big fan…and Roger owns a string of chicken shacks that make some fine fried chicken btw.

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I don’t know who Roger Staubach is. I hate football and have never watched a game. I just like watching pretty girls in skimpy outfits sashay around. I love fried chicken. One of my friends is a plank owner on the USS Texas. At the commissioning ceremony the Cowboys cheerleaders performed for them and then served refreshments on the mess decks.

Oldnuke on September 8, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Staubach was the quarterback during the Landry years when I was a kid.

He was a highly entertaining QB in that when he failed or succeeded it was always a Hail Mary sort of thingy.

Former Navy Vet.

Won Superbowls VI & XII.

I remember going to this game against the Vikings, We had great seats…Cowboys are down and it’s past the two minute warning and Staubach throws a Hail Mary…an impossible bomb that is taken in for the win.

“Perhaps Staubach’s most famous moment was the “Hail Mary pass” in the 1975 playoff game against the Minnesota Vikings. With seconds on the clock and the Cowboys trailing 14–10, Staubach launched a 50-yard bomb to wide receiver Drew Pearson, who caught the pass and strode into the end zone for a 17–14 victory. After the game, Staubach quipped he prayed a “Hail Mary” after throwing the pass. Since then, any last-minute pass play to the end zone in a desperate attempt to score a game-winning touchdown is referred to as a “Hail Mary pass” in reference to Staubach’s famous play.”

Staubach was part of a classic era of great QB’s and Receivers in NFL.

That was before Jones was owner…and Landry ran a clean team.

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM

We’ve gone down the rabbit hole, folks.

Grace_is_sufficient on September 8, 2013 at 10:14 AM

MHP thinks Obama’s actions so far on Syria have been “genius, simply brilliant”.

Marcus on September 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM

LOGOTV is a channel for gays & lesbians.

22044 on September 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Been thinking about this and doesn’t seem plausible. If what you said was true wouldn’t they be having a show about The Steelers?

Oldnuke on September 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

***

you are giving the tell that you DO believe Hollywood matters

***

libfreeordie on September 8, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Without shame, I can envy their platform only–what they do with it is the disgrace.

breffnian on September 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Fine. When will Obama make the case to save Christians? The guy was a member of that crackpot’s church for nearly 20 years.

Besides, liberal housing policies tanked our economy; and liberal economic policies have crippled a recovery for five years. What can’t you understand about not affording this? Show us the money.

BuckeyeSam on September 8, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Marcus on September 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM

No doubt her pet goldfish outsmarts her on a daily basis, too.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on September 8, 2013 at 10:22 AM

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Thanks for the info, but I have to tell you I’m really, truly not the least interested in football. If it just went away someday I’d hardly notice. I used to be a baseball fan but then the Dodgers left Brooklyn and I lost interest.

Oldnuke on September 8, 2013 at 10:24 AM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on September 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM

What interest me is whether the attacker is charged with a hate crime? If he isn’t than I think we have the opportunity to make a politically winning argument.

thuja on September 8, 2013 at 10:26 AM

LOGOTV is a channel for gays & lesbians.

22044 on September 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Oldnuke on September 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Gays like football players. Silly.

Yes, LOGO is the gay network. It’s not on my cable network but I’m a devoted fan of RuPaul’s drag competition. Best theatrics on TV (or the Internet in my case).

Marcus on September 8, 2013 at 10:26 AM

is kinzinger an idiot or what? he reached out to obama last week saying he would help round up support and never heard back from him. doesn’t even know who the white house liason is.

idiota…….thats what you get for backing hobama

adios muchacho!

renalin on September 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Well then I must be a lesbian cause with what I’m seeing I want to lick the screen.

Oldnuke on September 8, 2013 at 10:11 AM

LOL – who said lesbians had to be women?

Oldnuke on September 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Not sure I follow, but if you’re thinking NFL cheerleaders the first team that comes to mind is the Cowboys.
And the Steelers have no cheerleaders.

22044 on September 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Oldnuke on September 8, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Yeah…well here’s the replay

My ears rang for an hour after the crowd erupted…It was a beautiful thing.

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM

How in the Name of all that is Holy would that help the Christians in Syria?

kingsjester on September 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Sure but a real response would go like this. A NATO coalition with Turkey and Jordan goes into Syria and pacifies it. Hezbollah and Al Nusra are squelched. Iran and Russia are kicked out. Assad is killed or deposed and hanged. Peace is maintained by the international coalition.

People will not support jihadists if they feel safe. Syria may end up divided anyway but the killing would end, the refugees return home and hopefully democratic politics would replace the extremists.

This is the lesson of Yugoslavia and Iraq.

Sadly the US people have no stomach for a fight like this…Democrat and liberal establishment demonizing of the war in Iraq has worked only too well.

Ultimately we will have to intervene in Syria if it becomes a failed state and haven for Al Qaeda, if the humanitarian catastrophe becomes unbearable or if a regional war develops.

breffnian on September 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM

It should be clear to everyone now that liberals don’t want a black man to succeed in the presidency so they are against his war plans. Liberals are such racists!

BillCarson on September 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM

BuckeyeSam on September 8, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I agree with that but we spend 600 billion (or something) on the army.
What’s it for?
And don’t say to defend the US. How did that work out on 9-11?
I’d rather fight jihadis over there than have them murder Americans here.

breffnian on September 8, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Meanwhile, Lindsey is telling his constituents they’re going to be nuked if we don’t strike Syria. As if Iran will have no incentive to nuke his constituents if we DO attack Syria. They are in full fear-mongering mode. He has a MASSIVE Napoleon complex … but is he even sane? I’m really beginning to wonder.

Firefly_76 on September 8, 2013 at 10:34 AM

thuja on September 8, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I’m very much against hate-crime law and never like to see that pressed against anyone. What’s important in crimes like this is that “the press” covers them and puts them into context, showing how they are driven by racist hate. As to the crime itself, it doesn’t matter if it was motivated by pure race-hate, only that it was a savage, primitive assault that put one guy in a coma and injured two others in the middle of the day in a small, popular park in New York City. The brazen nature of that attack (along with the public announcement that it was going to happen, which leads into the whole discussion of not having CC people around) is what makes it news. The perpetrator needs to receive a good, long sentence and not be allowed to roam free for a few decades, at least – but only due to the nature of the attack, itself, not the hate-crime angle.

But it is particularly disturbing that Hotair goes out of its way to ignore any race-hate attacks of this sort. And not just ignore, but studiously avoid, as Ed was so pained to try and defend with that uber-pathetic post of his. I guess the Hotair overlords don’t remember what happened in NYC in the 70s because this is like a replay of those years but with the perps being proud to show off in public before they commit their savage crimes.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on September 8, 2013 at 10:34 AM

And the Steelers have no cheerleaders.

22044 on September 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Yep.

The cowboys started the NFL cheerleaders…and the success of that influenced the creation of the NBA cheerleaders.

It works in those sports…Hockey not so much…

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM

UpChuck Todd of course blames Republicans. Republicans are political. The need to stop being political. All bow down.

Marcus on September 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Oldnuke on September 8, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Although I’m no fan of Gov. Donut he’s livin’ the dream of his childhood tonite…courtesy of Roger Staubach….so I hope Christie and his family have a good time in Texas.

And that’s pretty classy of Staubach…imho…He’s a pretty classy fellow and was a hoot to watch when he played in the NFL.

God Bless Texas!

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

And the Steelers have no cheerleaders.

22044 on September 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I just clicked on the link in your screen name and saw the Steelers logo. Just yanking you chain a little. Don’t know anything about the Steelers or Cowboys for that matter.

Oldnuke on September 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Firefly_76 on September 8, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Graham is entrenched in DC with his head firmly stuck up his backside.

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. – Lord Acton

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Andrea Mithcell just reported on MTP that Kerry lost the French – after giving speech in Paris in French.

France now wants more time for diplomatic solution.

aquaviva on September 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

On Face the Nation:

Bob Schieffer: “What will the president do if he doesn’t get approval from congress?”

Obama Stooge: “Let’s not talk about hypotheticals Bob.”

Bob Scheiffer: “Will the president attack Syria if he doesn’t get approval?”

Obama Stooge: “We’re doing everything we can to make sure that doesn’t happen.”

These clowns don’t have a clue, skirt every question and continue to kick the can down the road. We are leaderless from the top down.

fogw on September 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM

My ears rang for an hour after the crowd erupted…It was a beautiful thing.

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I had lunch at Lambeau field a few years ago and had to ask who that big bronze statue was. I think that was some kind of blasphemy from the reaction I got.

Oldnuke on September 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

“Report: German Jihadists Helped Kill Christians In Syria…

BERLIN – Radical German Islamists participated in the murders of Syrian Christians in an early August attack on the Turkish-Syrian border, according to a report in the German magazine FOCUS.

The magazine reported last week the involvement of nearly 100 “fanatical” German Muslims, including Germans who converted to Islam, in the Syrian civil war.

Two Western intelligence agencies provided the information to FOCUS about the role of German Islamists in the August massacre.

A German police official told the magazine that “the complicity of Germans in the extermination and ethnic cleansing in Syria is a sheer intolerable condition.”

Prosecutors are examining whether the German Muslims can be charged with participation in a terrorist organization.

The growing presence of German Islamists in Syria prompted the Federal Republic’s interior minister Hans-Peter Friedrich to issue a warning in April about the “calls for those Europeans who have been trained in battle [in Syria] to return home and pursue jihad.”

The Sunni Salafist movement in Germany has provided the main combatants for the conflict against Syrian President Bashar Assad’s regime. Dirk Baehr, a German political scientist who has written about European and German jihadi groups, told The Jerusalem Post on Tuesday that six months ago there were 60 German Islamists in Syria and now the number has climbed to 150. Many of the jihadis fighting in Syria are from Belgium, Baehr added…”

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM

France now wants more time for diplomatic solution.

aquaviva on September 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

He should have had David Gregory translate for him. That would have brought them in line.

Oldnuke on September 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Oldnuke on September 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Dude…You are hopeless…

*snicker*

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

France now wants more time for diplomatic solution.

aquaviva on September 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

That’s pretty funny

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Dude…You are hopeless…

*snicker*

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

You have no idea! You cannot imagine my surprise when I found out it was Rush Limbaugh and his middle name was Vince. Could have knocked me over with a feather.

Oldnuke on September 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

aquaviva on September 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Maybe Obama was right…Americans [Kerry} can’t even say “merci beaucoup?” Or, as they say in the Deep South of France,”Mercy beau cups.”

coldwarrior on September 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Obama wants to level the field in Syria…

I mean we can’t have this civil war over too soon can we?…The Europeans are hoping more of their local jihadis flood in to fight for whatever…

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Dude…You are hopeless…

*snicker*

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Oldnuke on September 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

HA!

Enjoy the cheerleaders…We all do…

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

FWIW Robert Reichhhhhh (Yeah, I know) claims on his facebook page that grandstanding John Kerry is behind the Syria fiasco. H/T freerepublic link

onlineanalyst on September 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM

coldwarrior on September 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Without the tops, of course.

onlineanalyst on September 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM

onlineanalyst on September 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I dunno…Reich trying to cover for both Killary and Preezy McBombypants?

Aaaand if Kerry is angling for gravitas to run in 2016…He’s surely failing.

All I see is collective flailing.

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM

“Putin: We Will Continue Selling Arms To Syria If Obama Attacks…

It’s obvious Putin is terrified of Obama… yeah, maybe not.

Via Roll Call:

Russian President Vladimir Putin told reporters Russia will continue arms sales and aid Syria if the U.S. goes forward with a military strike, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Meanwhile, the Washington Post notes Putin and President Obama met privately to discuss the crisis in Syria. He said it was “a very friendly conversation” lasting about 20 minutes. He said he listened to Obama’s arguments that the Syrian government must be punished for a devastating chemical weapons attack last month but that he continues to disagree with the U.S. position…”

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Axelrod on Meet the Press, when asked to give prediction on who’s going to the Super Bowl this year:

“I’m picking the Bears ….”

Solid judgement there folks. But then Axelrod doesn’t pay any attention to reality, only spin, regardless of the topic.

fogw on September 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM

BillCarson on September 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Even the Senate is nearly unified in opposition, which has put Zero in desperation mode. He’s pressuring the dems now, and instead of waiting for his big speech Tuesday, he’s hitting the media outlets tomorrow.

A sane person would not push people into something they all agree is a bad idea.

dogsoldier on September 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM

“Britain sold deadly sarin mix to Syria

British companies sold chemicals to Syria that could have been used to produce the deadly nerve agent that killed 1,400 people, The Mail on Sunday can reveal today.

Between July 2004 and May 2010 the Government issued five export licences to two companies, allowing them to sell Syria sodium fluoride, which is used to make sarin.

The Government last night admitted for the first time that the chemical was delivered to Syria – a clear breach of international protocol on the trade of dangerous substances that has been condemned as ‘grossly irresponsible’…”

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415081/Britain-sent-poison-chemicals-Assad-Proof-UK-delivered-Sarin-agent-Syrian-regime.html#ixzz2eJbLBLA0
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

OOF!

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Cause the identity of potential allies is a super secret and requires a decoder ring or something…

“U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry met Arab leaders in Paris on Sunday, the day after he spoke of growing international support for military action in Syria.

Kerry met Egypt’s foreign minister Nabil Fahmy then headed to talk to Prince Saud al Faisal, the foreign minister of Saudi Arabia, and other Middle Eastern leaders at the U.S. Ambassador’s residence in the French capital.

On Saturday the Secretary of State said the number of countries who were prepared to take military action in Syria was now ‘in the double digits’, but he didn’t name them publicly…

At a joint press conference with French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius, Kerry said: ‘There are a number of countries in the double digits, who are prepared to take military action.

‘The overwhelming support is moving in the direction of holding the Assad regime to account,’ he continued, as both men attempted to encourage support for action in both France and the U.S.

Kerry added that: ‘We have more countries prepared to take military action than we actually could use in the kind of military action being contemplated.’…”

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415436/John-Kerry-insists-number-countries-supporting-military-action-Syria-double-digits–wont-say-are.html#ixzz2eJcWKfFK
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 11:29 AM

He’ll get his stinking resolution. The GOP will cave.

rrpjr on September 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM Oldnuke on September 8, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Roger Staubach is also famous for goofing on Pres. Carter for this remark during the debates with Reagan. He thought he might get his daughter Amy into the act. I don’t think President Carter was amused.

Cindy Munford on September 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM

It works in those sports…Hockey not so much…

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM
…where they going to cheer?…in the penalty box…with skates on?…or on the bench?

KOOLAID2 on September 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM

KOOLAID2 on September 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I was joking…but cheerleaders on skates or maybe a CIRQUE DU SOLEIL trapeze type rigging…

workingclass artist on September 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM

The end is fantastic.

Schadenfreude on September 8, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Smug azzhole

Schadenfreude on September 8, 2013 at 5:16 PM

The best cheerleaders were the “refrigeratorettes”!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, hockey has “ice girls” in lieu of cheerleaders.

Amjean on September 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM

On this Syrian Sunday, we have an opportunity for the DNC Press to escape their endless loop of liberal/partisan propaganda with an issue which seems to have united the left and right against Our Idiot President and the RINO elitists.

As for McDonough, that “full Ginsburg” doesn’t seem to be as rare as it used to be…

Better late than never (?); let’s have a gander:

“Meet the Press” on NBC
• Lib douche
• RINO douche
• Race-lib douche
• Tea Party (?)
• Lib douche
• Former conservative
• Lib/commie douche

Typical mess of liberal tripe, with one conservative and Newt.

“Face the Nation” on CBS
• The King’s douche nephew
• Court reporter
• Court jester
• Court conservative!

Same/same.

“This Week” on ABC
• Lib
• Conservative Ninja
• Con with a story
• Young RINO

No idea what’s going on here. Beutler is on to talk babies; Kinzinger is on because Capt. Air Force; Cruz is on because they are afraid he’ll kill them all if he’s not; Lib is on to spew the King’s rhetoric.

“Fox News Sunday” on Fox
• Pro
• Con

Mediated by an actual journalist. Once again Fox shames the networks, nearly to death. Also, Chris Wallace guts McDonough like a weak fish.

“State of the Union” on CNN
• Lib
• Con
• Lib
• Con
• Kook Lib
• Lib
• Lib

Pedestrian liberal propaganda show.

“Political Capital” on “Bloomberg TV
• Former White House National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley

“Al Punto” on Univision
Who cares…race whiners don’t count.

Summary: typical.

Jaibones on September 8, 2013 at 11:01 PM