NFL Week 1 open thread

posted at 12:31 pm on September 8, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Ah, hope springs eternal in Steeler Nation …

… and among all NFL fans on Week One! Unfortunately, it’s already too late for national-championship aspirations for the Fighting Irish in college football after getting smoked by Michigan yesterday, 41-30.  Pittsburgh has more reason to hope, though. They start off at home against the Titans, Troy Polamalu is healthy, and their division rival Baltimore Ravens are off to a dismal start, losing to Denver 49-27 and allowing Peyton Manning to tie an NFL record for TD passes in a game. Look for the Steelers to take advantage against the Titans with a 27-17 win (1 pm ET, CBS).

Let’s take a look around the league today:

• Vikings at Lions (1 pm ET, Fox) – The line has Detroit by 4, but I think the Vikings might be poised for a better season.  Adrian Peterson’s back and ready to aim for a second straight 2,000-yard season, and they picked up Greg Jennings in the off-season to give Christian Ponder a better target for the passing game. I’m going with an upset here and pick the Vikes to edge the Lions on the road, 24-21.
  • Falcons at Saints (1 pm ET, Fox) – Sean Payton’s back in New Orleans, and now the Saints have Steven Jackson to add a better running threat to their offense.  The Falcons dominated their division last year, but that’s going to change in 2013. Saints over Falcons in a shootout, 37-31.
  • Bengals at Bears (1 pm ET, CBS) - The Bengals made it into the playoffs last year, but they’re missing Pro Bowl O-line stalwart Andrew Whitworth, who would normally line up across from Bears DE Julius Peppers. The line has Chicago up by three at home, but it won’t be that close.  Chicago 21-10 over the Bengals.
  • Packers at 49ers (4:25 pm ET, Fox) - The Pack is back … for revenge, after their playoff loss in San Francisco last year.  They’re also looking to neutralize the read-option that beat them by promising to level 49er QB Colin Kaepernick every time, even if he pitches the ball — a plan that the NFL confirmed is within the rules. Look for that game-within-the-game today, as well as whether the Packers really have upgraded their rushing game with the addition of Eddie Lacy and Johnathan Franklin in the draft.  This will go down to defenses, I think, and Green Bay has an advantage, especially if they get in the heads of Kaepernick and head coach Jim Harbaugh. Packers 23-17 over the 49ers.
  • Giants at Cowboys (8:30 ET, NBC) – Opening day features one of the best rivalries in the NFL, this time in Dallas, where the line has the Cowboys up by three. However, Dallas is trying a new defensive scheme, and may have a conditioning problem.  The Giants got bigger on the defensive line to bolster their rush defense, and added new talent to the O-line to improve their own rushing game and give Eli Manning more time.  If it comes down to Manning vs Tony Romo, I’ll pick Romo … for three quarters, and then Manning to win.  Giants 33-27 over Dallas.
  • Eagles at Team Which Must Not Be Named In Polite Society (MNF, 6:55 pm ET, ESPN) – I’m picking the Redskins to win, because (1) RGIII is back, if perhaps still tentative, (2) Washington has something to prove and a seasoned head coach to back it up, and (3) it’s Philadelphia. They prepped this week by having a fistfight between Cary Williams and Riley Cooper, which may have been over Cooper’s use of a racial epithet a few months ago, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Skins over Shirks, 27-20.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The Broncos have the lightest offensive line in the AFC and the second lightest in the NFL (Falcons have the lightest) unless ESPN stats are lying.

Rode Werk on September 8, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Can Ed now stop shoving the Steelers down our throats? They got embarrassed by the Titans.

rndmusrnm on September 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM

It’s Ed’s blog, you don’t have to read it.

Rode Werk on September 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I still wish Denver had kept Tebow, Manning would be a great person to observe and learn from.

Cindy Munford on September 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Although you can make fun of his wishful thinking. I bet even the jets beat them this year.

Rode Werk on September 8, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Amusing ourselves to death, it’s called. Fandom, rooting for your team, diversion…

while and with the reality of this world.

Pats fans can check out weei.com — the real post game show, on now.
Bills fans can catch a similar post-mortem, umm wgy?

McBombyPants and fiends need to hear.
Burn.the.phones — per Bmore…
but not just about Syria…
ObamaCareless…

And yet, they really are too busy talking to listen. No, it isn’t that.
They don’t care. Well, that is among their many mistakes. Out.
Talk to and persuade, in an ongoing way, all but the most closed minds.

Why? Why not. Just give it to’em straight. Passion is for those that have it.
Impassioned pleas won’t work.

And yes, friends lacking the r (I’m certain I’ve said that before) — vu deja
Use your better judgement, but make the case.

mickytx on September 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Oh and Jazz congratulations. You to Jetboy and Allahpundit.

Cindy Munford on September 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM

It’s Ed’s blog, you don’t have to read it.

after what happened to the steelers today i don’t think Ed will read it either.

gerrym51 on September 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM

And now a short week-Thursday night 8/12, it’s Jets @ Patriots!

Del Dolemonte on September 8, 2013 at 5:14 PM

The New York Jets vs. the New England *

lol I love doing that to ya :P

Yeah, Thursday nite should be a great game.

I’m going to our week 7 match up. And the week 13 Dolphins game. Hopefully more, but those are definite.

JetBoy on September 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM

heh

Rode Werk on September 8, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Oh and Jazz congratulations. You to Jetboy and Allahpundit.

Cindy Munford on September 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Today’s win keeps hope alive…but Gang Green crushed the Bills opening game last season, and closed the season with a 6-10 record. My expectations are low…so any good news will sound even better.

JetBoy on September 8, 2013 at 5:51 PM

It’s Ed’s blog, you don’t have to read it.

after what happened to the steelers today i don’t think Ed will read it either.

gerrym51 on September 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Limbaugh is gonna be insufferable tomorrow! Wonder if he was actually at the game?

Del Dolemonte on September 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM

JetBoy on September 8, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I can relate, I was a Redskins fan long before Joe Gibbs arrived. Football teams will break your heart. I still harbor ill will for the late George Allen for not playing Sonny Jurgensen.

Cindy Munford on September 8, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Yeah, Thursday nite should be a great game.

JetBoy on September 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Geno Smith’s QB rating after today’s game?

80.6

Tom Brady

76.4

Del Dolemonte on September 8, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Wk 1 is so hard to predict. I give Ed credit for trying.

goflyers on September 8, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Ed Always picks the Steelers.

gerrym51 on September 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Cindy Munford on September 8, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I’m still ticked that Wrecks Ryan is still head coach. I hope I’m proven wrong. Yeah, I’m still nursing emotional wounds after my Jetties losing the AFC championship game to Denver in the ’98 season…after going into halftime with a 3-0 score. 30 minutes from the superbowl.

I didn’t harbor any disdain with the Redskins (in your face, Slate) until I got to college at Maryland. Their local fans in the DC area were a bunch of egotistical loudmouths that wouldn’t shut up. And I say that as someone who grew up in the NYC area. :)

Geno Smith’s QB rating after today’s game?

80.6

Tom Brady

76.4

Del Dolemonte on September 8, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Smith is what, 21 or 22 years old too. Brady got his career 45,000 passing yards tho.

JetBoy on September 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM

JetBoy on September 8, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Our AFC East (some call it the AFC Least) has an interesting twist this season-we all have to play the NFC South teams. Atlanta and New Orleans are almost as powerful as San Fran and Seattle in the NFC West.

Del Dolemonte on September 8, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Man huge blown call in the packer game may have cost them the game today. Just having flash backs to last season where one game decided if the packers were a road team though the whole playoffs or not.

watertown on September 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM

watertown on September 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Not a blown call.

GOLDEN TATE, BABY!!!

Shepherd Lover on September 8, 2013 at 8:17 PM

(last season, that is!) Definitely a blown call in today’s game!

Shepherd Lover on September 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Well, I thought for sure NBC would have Carrie Underwood doing a Miley Cyrus impersonation for the new Sunday Night Football opening theme….

jon1979 on September 8, 2013 at 8:28 PM

So, Ed. That’s setting sun on the Steelers?

TfromV on September 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Okay, love Carrie Underwood and not a bad pick to do the intro song. Not as pretty as Faith Hill, albeit younger, and it’s hard to beat Faith’s legs, period. As to the styling and phrasing of the song, I still like Faith’s version better, much truer to the original Joan Jett song, “I Hate Myself for Loving You”.

But, it looks like it was Faith’s decision to withdraw and not some chickenshit NBC Sports deal.

And, I’m glad they didn’t ditch the song and picked a hottie to replace the love of my life (and Tim’s).

TXUS on September 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

TXUS on September 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I think they were smart to do a completely different version of the song with a new singer.

To be honest I would kill to look like and have the legs of either one of them. Oh yeah the voice too.

gophergirl on September 8, 2013 at 8:44 PM

gophergirl on September 8, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Well, Carrie’s voice has a much wider range, an incredible range actually, and so they no doubt re-tooled the song to take advantage of that. I’m just one of those picky bastards that like covers to be done as close as possible to the original cuts.

As to looks and legs, I certainly wouldn’t turn either of them down and would probably cut a deal with the devil for the chance. But if asked which one I’d like to spend the most time with in Heaven, if I got there in the first place and even had a choice, I’d go with Faith.

As to you, I have never met or known a beautiful woman who didn’t wish she looked like some other beautiful woman. What’s with you girls? ;-)

TXUS on September 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM

TXUS on September 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM

You are sweet but I would not call myself beautiful – at least in the same realm as Faith and Carrie.

gophergirl on September 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I don’t know what it is, totally irrational, but I don’t like Chris Collinsworth.

Cindy Munford on September 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Let’s see… The Titans go into Pittsburgh and shut the Steelers down until the last 2 minutes and run the ball down their throats in the meantime?

Some people around here are going to have a long season. :)

WannabeAnglican on September 8, 2013 at 10:20 PM

113.6 QB rating for Drew Brees today.

Not too shabby but Colin K. had a 129.4, and even losing GB QB Rogers was over 100 (102.6)

Del Dolemonte on September 9, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Some people around here are going to have a long season. :)

WannabeAnglican on September 8, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I imagine a lot of us are in for long seasons, even non-Steeler fans.

Cindy Munford on September 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM

My Pokes pulled it out by DeFENCE, though the D allowed 31 points. Romo didn’t suck.. And the Pokes break the Ginats streak of winning at Jerry world. Finally!!!

44Magnum on September 9, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Cindy Munford on September 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Oh no, say it ain’t so. He lives in my hometown. The same for Ed and the Steelers. What no update, Ed?

HellCat on September 9, 2013 at 11:02 AM

How about then Niners! Great battle of the QBs. Kind of a “last man with the ball to score” ending. Matthews will have to tip-toe around his fellow players next week.

Rovin on September 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM

RG3′s all the way up to a 57.9 QB rating. If he gets any higher, he’ll be on all the Sunday talk shows.

Rovin on September 9, 2013 at 10:01 PM