WaPo fact check: No Pinocchios for “I didn’t set the red line”

posted at 2:41 pm on September 6, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Call this a triumph of nuance over plain speaking, which sounds like a good description of standard operational diplo-speak, too.  The Washington Post’s Glenn Kessler — who used to work the diplomatic beat — decided to fact-check Barack Obama’s assertion this week that “I didn’t set the red line” on Syria’s use of chemical weapons, but that the world did.  Kessler doesn’t assign Obama any Pinocchios for this dodge, but he doesn’t let the President off the hook, either.  After spending the entire column describing the bungling that went into his August 2012 statement and the fumbling that followed over the next year, Kessler concludes:

To sum up, the president made an ill-considered rhetorical statement a year ago, without consulting his aides. But the White House staff decided they could not take it back and even considered it a useful example of firm presidential leadership when they needed to inform Congress of evidence of chemical weapons use by Syria.

But the president apparently was never comfortable with his own words. So when new talking points were crafted to make this line seem less like an “Obama red line” and more like a world-backed red line, the president bungled the language again. He made it appear as if he was denying he had called it a red line, when that was obviously not the case.

If he had used Kerry’s language, it would not have been as much of an issue: “The line I drew is the same one that the world has had for nearly 100 years.” Or something like that.

Well, except for one thing that Kessler never takes into account, which is that the world has never — never — set a red line for military intervention for just the use of chemical weapons.  Since the UN General Assembly unanimously adopted the 1925 Geneva Protocol banning the use of chemical weapons, at least a half-dozen deployments have occurred before the Syrian civil war.  None of them produced outside military intervention, not even the 1988 massacre of 5,000 Kurds by Saddam Hussein at Halabja.  The red line creates imperatives for diplomatic and perhaps economic sanctions, but not until now has a nation proposed a unilateral intervention for chemical-weapons attacks, especially not in a civil war.

Even without that, though, Kessler acknowledges that the walkback this week was dishonest.  Why no Pinocchios, then?  It’s a “bungled talking point”:

Of course, he didn’t say that. So is a bungled talking point worthy of Pinocchios? We don’t try to play gotcha here at The Fact Checker, so we are inclined to leave this question to our readers. Some may find the president’s apparent discomfort with his own words more meaningful than any potential misstatement.

The last sentence is actually a good point, but just off the top of my head, I’d guess that most of Kessler’s Pinocchio assignments come from “bungled talking points.” Even without the graphics at the end, though, the dishonesty and incompetence are impossible to deny.

Update: Politifact (“Winner of the Pulitzer Prize”) issues a lame defense of Obama’s denial, but Factcheck.org is a little more categorical:

But the Chemical Weapons Convention does not spell out the consequences for violations. Rather, it states that in “cases of particular gravity,” the issue should be brought by convention states to the attention of the United Nations General Assembly and the United Nations Security Council (see page 39). It is unlikely that the U.N. would agree to military strikes as both Russia and China have repeatedly used their veto power to block action against Assad’s regime. Moreover, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has warned that any “punitive” action taken against Syria might lead to “further bloodshed” and hinder “political resolution of the conflict.” He also condemned a unilateral attack.

“As I have repeatedly said, the Security Council has primary responsibility for international peace and security,” Ban said at a news conference. “The use of force is lawful only when in exercise of self-defense in accordance with Article 51 of the United Nations Charter and or when the Security Council approves such action.”

As for the Syria Accountability Act (more formally the Syria Accountability and Lebanese Sovereignty Restoration Act of 2003), it states that Syria must “cease the development and production of biological and chemical weapons.” It lays out a number of economic sanctions for violations, but does not speak to military enforcement. So it may be a red line, but not a red line that authorizes military action.

Obama is correct to argue that the international community has long drawn a “red line” condemning the use of chemical weapons, but his point blurs the fact that his “red line” comment in August 2012 was made in the context of what it might take for the U.S. to get involved militarily in Syria. While Obama may have had some justification for drawing that line based on international conventions, the decision to tie U.S. military involvement to Assad using chemical weapons was Obama’s red line.

Kessler was taking a beating on Twitter, too.  At one point, he noted that the decision not to assign any Pinocchios came during a discussion with his editor:

That’s what editors do, of course, and Glenn’s right — it’s his name on the column.  I disagree with the decision not to assign Pinocchios, but the column is an interesting read, and he’s miles ahead of Politifact.

Comments

Right. He really meant to say his “editor” in the White House.

somewhatconcerned on September 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM

It depends on what the meaning of “is” is…

PatriotRider on September 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Wow, HA is goin’ all Twitchy….

BigWyo on September 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Tuesday will be the equivalent of Carters “Malaise” speech…only worse…with explosions going off in the background…

PatriotRider on September 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Interesting that crafting careful and exacting statements, or even surrounding sloppy statements with carefully crafted and exacting explanations, requires people that parse statements for a living to craft even more careful and exact statements about your statements –

Until no one says anything at all.

Hm.

But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Weird.

Axe on September 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM

You Lie!!!!

BigWyo on September 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM

But the president apparently was never comfortable with his own words.

So, in other words, this person just makes $hit up as he goes?

Johnnyreb on September 6, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I guess Obama didn’t have a calculus either…eh WAPO?

workingclass artist on September 6, 2013 at 2:51 PM

So he did say it. And his aides reinforced the point several times. But he didn’t really mean it, so it’s not really lying. Got it.

Fenris on September 6, 2013 at 2:51 PM

That’s biggest line of bullflop I’ve ever seen.

WisRich on September 6, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Rather than admitting they were wrong all along about the “smartest preezy evah,” the lapdog media is doubling down on stupid to cover for him.

Unbelievable.

UltimateBob on September 6, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Kessler: “Hey boss, our guy is totally boned here. What do we do?”

Boss: “Spike the noses, or I’ll send you to cover Tahir Square with ‘I’m a homo’ tattooed on your forehead”

BobMbx on September 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Kessler’s a despicable tool of the left. No Pinnochios? When there is a video of him actually setting the red line??? It is as if Obama is a vampire whose image does not show up on videotape in media newsrooms.

Happy Nomad on September 6, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Off goes the Teleprompter to the unemployment line.

hillsoftx on September 6, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Bovine Feces’ by any other name, stinks just the same!

jaydee_007 on September 6, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I guess Obama didn’t have a calculus either…eh WAPO?

workingclass artist on September 6, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Calculus? I doubt the guy ever even had a course in basic arithmetic. ;-)

UltimateBob on September 6, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Well it was a lie, but it was not malicious or intended to deceive. It was an explanation point on his argument. The teleprompter simply did not tell him in advance what it was going to say.

pat on September 6, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Complicit.

portlandon on September 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Kessler: “Hey boss, our guy is totally boned here. What do we do?”

BobMbx on September 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM

First week after Bezos took over. I suspect the “President always tells the truth” thing is new ediorial direction…… lose even the small pretense of being anything except the official party newspaper of the DNC. Next up, Turbo Pinnochios for Republican lies that don’t fit the 1-4 system.

Happy Nomad on September 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM

And that is how you pick up a turd by the clean end.

Gonzo on September 6, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Kessler: “Hey boss, our guy is totally boned here. What do we do?”

BobMbx on September 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM

HA!

workingclass artist on September 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM

“Go big, or go home.” This was probably the thinking behind the bluff Red Lyin made, double down, make it big. How to spin an ill-considered threat from president paltry? Wrap it around yourself, call it “World trimmed in Congress,” and sashay it down the runway.

Fashionable front row spectators go “oooooh, aaaaah, fabulous”.

RushBaby on September 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Already a sometimes-reluctant warrior, Mr. Obama pulled out all American troops from Iraq, ordered a withdrawal from Afghanistan and lately has talked about scaling back his aggressive use of drones in Pakistan and eventually ending the war against terrorism. Some critics have argued that in subcontracting the Syria decision to Congress, Mr. Obama was looking for an excuse not to act and someone else to blame.

“One thing for Congress to consider,” said Benjamin J. Rhodes, his deputy national security adviser, “is the message that this debate sends about U.S. leadership around the world — that the U.S. for decades has played the role of undergirding the global security architecture and enforcing international norms. And we do not want to send a message that the United States is getting out of that business in any way.”

It’s all yours. You made your bed, sleep on the thorns. The “reputation of the US and the world” are not at stake“, as you say, dummy.

Schadenfreude on September 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM

My HS students give me pathetic $hitty excuses like this all the time.
And I think they are just as stupid as I do Obama’s.
What a disgusting POS.

Badger40 on September 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Syria never signed the treaty so i don’t see how they can be held accountable.

However, the bigger question is which side used the “alleged” chemical weapons. Why would Assad use the weapons when he is winning the war? The report from Russia on the March “alleged” attack blamed the rebels. Turkey stopped the rebels with sarin gas containers.

Since 0bama has lied to use far more often than told the truth, I tend to disbelieve him. Of course, the month long blitz of lying from the Obama Regime on Benghazi makes me full not believe the man.

jukin3 on September 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM

It was a “Botched Joke“.

eh on September 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM

So, Obama went off message? 57 states? Eastern port cities on the Gulf of Mexico? “Let me eat my waffle.”

HiJack on September 6, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Pinocchio/Machiavelli/Muenchhausen/Orwell all in one don’t come close to obama.

This is a narcissistic socipathic cornered snake now. Beware.

At the presser today – big jelly fish, in Armani, alone and forlorn, lost completely, inept beyond belief.

Schadenfreude on September 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Obama sent me a cool gift basket and tickets to Beyonce – Kessler

workingclass artist on September 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Pinocchio/Machiavelli/Muenchhausen/Orwell/Goebbels

Schadenfreude on September 6, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I guess Obama didn’t have a calculus either…eh WAPO?

workingclass artist on September 6, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Calculus? I doubt the guy ever even had a course in basic arithmetic. ;-)

UltimateBob on September 6, 2013 at 2:53 PM

You beat me to it. I was going to say “Calculus, no has issues with basic math?”

MobileVideoEngineer on September 6, 2013 at 3:01 PM

You beat me to it. I was going to say “Calculus, no he has issues with basic math?”

MobileVideoEngineer on September 6, 2013 at 3:01 PM

And apparently I have issues with typing today.

MobileVideoEngineer on September 6, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Happy Nomad on September 6, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I can’t stop laughing even though I know how screwed we all are.

HiJack on September 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Imagine, just imagine being obama’s speech writers for the prompter for this coming Tuesday…

Not even OfA are with him on Syria.

Schadenfreude on September 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM

So, it is that he did not lie through all this, but he did say some really dumb stuff. I do not agree with that, but for the sake of argument, will accept it.

I am NOT OK with my President saying such really dumb stuff that could quite possibly lead to a major war. THAT is NOT acceptable.

Following up a dumb statement with stupid action is not how I want my President to act.

Jabberwock on September 6, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I can’t stop laughing even though I know how screwed we all are.

HiJack on September 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Schadenfreude overfloweth. I’m glad Romney lost. We couldn’t have read about this in the best of fiction.

Note that not one HA troll has been out in days, defending him.

Schadenfreude on September 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM

He who controls the past controls the future.

And he who control’s the Pinocchios controls the past.

Rich H on September 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I just hope the idiot doesn’t decide to go ahead and start WWIII before Tuesday night.

kingsjester on September 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Obama is a pathological liar and The Washington Post is green liberal slime. The really interesting phenomenon are those in this society that actually believe them.

rplat on September 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM

“You racist rubes, you hate obama because he’s the first black-Caucasian (NYT standards) president” — Ed Schultz and Chriss Matthews

Schadenfreude on September 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM

But the president apparently was never comfortable with his own words.

Split personality disorder, on top of NPD and CLD (Compulsive Lying Disorder)….oh boy, what else…here, hoping that he’s not going to PMS when he decides to strike Seerea…

jimver on September 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Kessler: “It’s not my red line, it’s my editors’.”

kunegetikos on September 6, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Bungles O’Bama.

steebo77 on September 6, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Amazon is going to get the national sales tax on internet sales it wants to squelch upstart competition, the way it keeps shilling through it’s mouthpiece.

kunegetikos on September 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Note that not one HA troll has been out in days, defending him.

Schadenfreude on September 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Not. A. Single. One.

steebo77 on September 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM

O/T: Dennis Kucinich on TV making sense. Comparing this to the outbreak of WWI.

Who’da thunk that Kucinich would ever be the voice of reason and common sense.

esr1951 on September 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM

kingsjester on September 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Indeed, if he starts it on Tue, at least we have the weekend to prepare :)…

jimver on September 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM

The MSM gates open and the media cavalry come galloping to save their floundering emperor.

Dog Eater could say he doesn’t actually exist and the leftist apparatchiks would respond, “Agreed, you don’t actually exist”.

Bishop on September 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I’m sure if Palin did something like this this so called “fact checker” would have done the same thing….right?

GardenGnome on September 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Obama doesn’t have any calculus. His hands are smooth as a baby’s butt.

jukin3 on September 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM

It sounds like a lie to me. I have children, I know a lie when I see one. Plus, You can’t BS a BSr.

birdwatcher on September 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM

That reminds me of Bill Clinton’s line back in the 90s…”I did not have sexual relations with that woman”. That was just ill-considered and rhetorical I guess.

cajunpatriot on September 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM

… nay, they were not ashamed, neither could they blush …

There Goes the Neighborhood on September 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM

So he’s just a moron. Whew, for a minute I thought he’d told us a whopper. So I guess that makes it okay for navy corpse men from all 57 to … rise up(?) and be sacrificed for the ego of our saviour.
Amen. Uh lean forward. Oh sieg heil @ss clown!

onomo on September 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Cairo bowing and speech…how far away thou art…

Please, anyone, I triple dare you – how many people/nations are free/freer, due to obama/Hillary?

Schadenfreude on September 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM

ALL of the so-called ‘fact check’ websites are run by liberal shills for the democratic party. They only tell the truth when 99% of the population knows that they can’t get away with their usual lies.

slickwillie2001 on September 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM

kingsjester on September 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM

If he does, we are in a heap of trouble…

PatriotRider on September 6, 2013 at 3:23 PM

The village idiot gonna get us into WWIII

newportmike on September 6, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Still trying to pick up the turd on the clean end.

jb34461 on September 6, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Fortunately the dumb populace, out X-mas shopping in Aug-Sept, don’t read his crap. On Syria they instinctively made up their mind and yesterday’s execution pictures and video jelled the minds of the elites, from both sides.

The train is long gone, no matter what the leftist media turkeys write.

Schadenfreude on September 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Note that not one HA troll has been out in days, defending him.

Schadenfreude on September 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Is it possible that they’ve been banned? I mean, they have all sorts of good arguments for Dear Liar, don’t they?

HiJack on September 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Excellent

We’ve known Obama was an egomanical empty suit for at least 5 years now. But still the moron media insisted on propping the stupid SOB up last year, otherwise we could’ve been rid of him now. Instead of paying heed to our warnings and taking a realistic look at his record, you yelled “raaaaacist” and sloughed off his pathetic failures with excuses and BS. Now, you want us to “stand” with this effing fruitcake so he can… what? Make MORE stupid mistakes? Go to hell.

You journ0lists (s)elected him, you stand with him.

Marxism is for dummies on September 6, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Schadenfreude on September 6, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I knew it was as bad as I could imagine when I heard him say, “This isn’t something we’ve fabricated.” Up until then I didn’t know, I was waiting and hoping. Right then it was clear that this had been fabricated, and he’s clearly behind it. I hate this useless puke.
Sir.

onomo on September 6, 2013 at 3:33 PM

It depends on where you set the red line for setting the red line. You know, “Red line? You didn’t build that – somebody else made that happen.”

ghostwalker1 on September 6, 2013 at 3:35 PM

HiJack on September 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Nah, bayam and liblikeasalve, the liar who claimed he’s against the action, are now advocating for it…and calling us “ODSd, if we don’t”. Heh heh, they smell over the net, they hypocritical liars.

Schadenfreude on September 6, 2013 at 3:41 PM

HiJack on September 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM

They should be. They’ve never acknowledged their efforts to incorporate a safe school czar that was commited to indoctrinating all of this country’s little children to accept being sexually abused. In Kevin Jenning’s opinion all underage children should go to bars and have sex (his preference same sex) with adults.
All of them knew it. Always lockstep, the left’s trolls are pedophiles by association and an immediate threat to the safety of our children.

onomo on September 6, 2013 at 3:43 PM

We have been very clear to the Assad regime, but also to other players on the ground, that a red line for us is we start seeing a whole bunch of chemical weapons moving around or being utilized,” the president said a year ago last week. “That would change my calculus. That would change my equation.” – Preezy of the United Steezy, news conference at the White House on Aug. 20, 2012.

Uh…. Hello? If this isn’t the case why is Ø yapping about “a shot across the bow.” Someone is stupid and it isn’t me.

ExpressoBold on September 6, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Note that not one HA troll has been out in days, defending him.

Schadenfreude on September 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM

That’s because his propaganda powerhouse, Organizing for Action, is not churning out talking points. That’s right, on barackobama.com, the issues listed are Climate, Gun violence prevention, Health care, Immigration, Jobs and the economy, and Women’s Issues.

These guys are usually out in front. Reckon the Red Lyin even caught those guys off guard, tee.

RushBaby on September 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM

In all the finger pointing about why the world is suddenly s.o hostile to the Pres. No one is talking about the Snowden effect on the world. Could it be that the US has crossed a redline by spying on even our friends and the world is none too happy?

Forgive my typing I am mobile right now

petunia on September 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM

True about the trolls guess they really are getting paid

petunia on September 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Apparently, Obama even confused himself with this “bungled talking point” (emphasis mine):

We go on to reaffirm that the President has set a clear red line as it relates to the United States that the use of chemical weapons or the transfer of chemical weapons to terrorist groups is a red line that is not acceptable to us, nor should it be to the international community. It’s precisely because we take this red line so seriously that we believe there is an obligation to fully investigate any and all evidence of chemical weapons use within Syria.

BlueCollarAstronaut on September 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM

The buck stopped with Truman. For Obama, the buck is kryptonite.

In Stockholm on Wednesday, the president said that the credibility of the world, America, Congress and the international community is on the line. Everybody is on the hook for his red line, except for the one person who actually drew it.

I’d love to see the genius in that argument, but it looks like clear-cut stupidity to me.

Schadenfreude on September 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM

This idiot is going to get us all killed…

PatriotRider on September 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM

“miles ahead of Politifact” – this is the new standard?

No wonder media has gone straight to Hades. Now being a lying hack is okay – as long as you include a tiny glimmer of truth in your snow job?

Adjoran on September 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM

“What difference at this point does it make?”

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 6, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Forgive my typing I am mobile right now

petunia on September 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Note that Germany who expressed the most – and pretty vocally so – shock and ‘displeasure’ at the extent of the scope of the NSA spying – woud have nothing to do with an attack on Syria, not only that, but since they are the de facto EU leaders, they shaped the EU position on Syria, which is a no-go. Not only that, but the EU lashed out at Hollande and his affirmed support for a strike in Shria which leaves him completely isolated within the EU. Don’t be too surprised if the spineless creep that is Hollande migrates to the ‘No’ camp even before Obozo utters ‘Seerea’ in his grand speechifyig on Tue :)…

jimver on September 6, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Glenn Kessler is one of the leading reasons why the WaPoop is gaining in irrelevance.

Hopefully, this sycophant is one of Bezo’s earliest house cleaning targets. Then he can enjoy a career with the other sycophants at either The Hill or MSDNC.

Athos on September 6, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Happy Nomad on September 6, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Now that you mention that…..ooooeeeeeeeooooo

avagreen on September 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM

miles ahead of Politifact” – this is the new standard?

Adjoran on September 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM

yeah, but none of them can beat this NBC piece :)…The Big Chill: a Dominant Obama meets a cool Putin’ say whaa? :)…

jimver on September 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM

miles ahead of Politifact” – this is the new standard?

Adjoran on September 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM

jimver on September 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM

avagreen on September 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM

It’s not Obama’s Red Line, it was there all along.

It’s just that everyone except Obama was too stupid to see it.

Socratease on September 6, 2013 at 5:03 PM

True about the trolls guess they really are getting paid

petunia on September 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Our tax dollars at work.

onomo on September 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM

King Barry also never said, “If you like your plan you can keep your plan………”

It has never occurred to this narcissistic SOB that his continued LYING is why he has no credibility.

GarandFan on September 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Umm…

Same author. And, includes this gem:

Obama’s stimulus plan was actually $800 billion, not $1 trillion.

According to Kessler, a Republican “rounding up” 800 billion to a trillion is definitely a lie- but a Democratic president videotaped saying something he later denies is a “bungled talking point.”

Journalistic integrity!

/s

cs89 on September 6, 2013 at 6:37 PM

WaPo fact check: No Pinocchios for “I didn’t set the red line”

…ok!…then his d!ck shrunk!

KOOLAID2 on September 6, 2013 at 7:19 PM

If you didn’t think the Wapo was biased and not a a tool of the DNC…. you are now proven wrong.

CW on September 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Since 2009, the press has covered for this President, allowing him to get away with avoiding responsibility for everything that’s happened, since he’s been in office. THis is just another example. However, if we bomb Syria, people are going to die. If we bomb Syria, there’s the potential of our servicemen and women dying. If we bomb Syria, there’s the potential that we’ll kill their citizens, have our soldiers die, and accomplish nothing.

What we need is for this President to make the case, to the American people, that he has a plan, he will execute the plan, it has a desired result and, once obtained, it will end. He needs to win them over and ask for their approval. If they give it, by calling their representative in Congress, then he should go ahead. Let’s be clear, this is his responsibility and he can’t be allowed to avoid it by the press. THey let him get away with this, “I didn’t set a red line” comment and now they’re covering for him. FInally, he has a responsibility that is uniquely his, which he can’t avoid and they can’t cover for.

I would like to see someone in this sycophant media, acknowledge that, and encourage this President to do just that. If he doesn’t I don’t see anything positive coming for the country, for the Democrats, or for Syria.

bflat879 on September 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has warned that any “punitive” action taken against Syria might lead to “further bloodshed” and hinder “political resolution of the conflict.”

Proportional response is the greatest tool of the warlord, for without it his ability to wage war would have been crushed long ago…

Gwillie on September 7, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I think it’s the ultimate failure of the left, how they work so hard to avoid “further bloodshed” and facilitate the “political resolution” that they enable wars that would have only lasted weeks to go on for years. Where a few thousand may have died turns into hundreds of thousands…Gwillie on September 7, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Very similar to the way the Enviro-nuts caused the suppression of natural forest fires, which thin the undergrowth every few years without serious damage, setting the stage for massive infernos later.

AesopFan on September 7, 2013 at 1:58 AM