Video: The freaky deaky Chilean LG ad prank

posted at 6:01 pm on September 5, 2013 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, via Gizmodo. It’s natural to be skeptical that the reactions here are legit, but check out the bearded guy at around 1:48. He seems pissed, genuinely. And rightly so.

Is this a popular genre of comedy in South America, by the way? Normally I wouldn’t think twice about it, but after the Brazilian elevator pranks went viral online last year, I wonder. Personally, I think scaring people witless is something only the truly insane find entertaining. By which, of course, I mean the Japanese.

Comments

Funnier than the coffin in the elevator opening.

cozmo on September 5, 2013 at 6:05 PM

By which, of course, I mean the Japanese.

From time to time, I have thought the Japanese cultural “peculiarities” were the best evidence aliens are in our midst.

PolAgnostic on September 5, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I love Mr. Impossibru

daddytype on September 5, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Don’t do that to the wrong person.

CW on September 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM

PolAgnostic on September 5, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Rich H on September 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM

PolAgnostic on September 5, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Or something

cozmo on September 5, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Funny thing is they originally did this but instead of a meteor they showed Obama’s foreign policy handbook…not surprisingly the reactions were exactly the same…

TheAudacityofNOPE on September 5, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Ever since “Punk’d” first began to air, my wife and I have occasionally discussed with each other how we can’t for the life of us grasp why scaring the crap out of people is considered funny. It’s not (to us), it’s just a form of cruelty.

Chuckles3 on September 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM

lol, the senorita in white is hot. Glory to SMOD in the highest.

abobo on September 5, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Chuckles3 on September 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM

It can be funny but the LG ad posted above is cruel.

CW on September 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Good acting but funny.

Ronnie on September 5, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Rich H on September 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM

lol saw those the other day…epic!

Chuckles3 on September 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Scare pranks are the best ones. It’s why Halloween is one of my favorite nights of the year.

JetBoy on September 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Not at good as the German Nivea deodorant prank.

rickv404 on September 5, 2013 at 6:47 PM

[Rich H on September 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM]

No way you could do that here unless you were in a gun-free zone.

Dusty on September 5, 2013 at 6:48 PM

You guys really believe these aren’t actors?

Warner Todd Huston on September 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM

They had better be careful or someone will try to shove one of the pranksters through the TV head first.
Now THAT would be funny.

Bubba Redneck on September 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Real or not – brilliant advertising for LG.

blink on September 5, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Really? Look at the message LG is sending.

We mess with people looking for jobs and waste their time.

Massive destruction and loss of life can be fun when you do it on a really big television!

And….. We will lie to you.

In full disclosure, I generally don’t think “pranks” are anything but mean. But I really think it is a stupid marketing strategy. Here, anyway. Chileans may be like the Japanese and have a totally different view of pranks.

Happy Nomad on September 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Now THAT would be funny.

Bubba Redneck on September 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM

All the better to show how rugged LG products are! As in-

“Look at that, it took three really hard tries to get that head through the flatscreen.”

Happy Nomad on September 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Hahahahahahahaha. That was awesome.

scalleywag on September 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I don’t get it. The illusion only works from the point of view of a fixed camera (like the hidden one). Anyone simply moving from one part of the room to the other would see that the image didn’t behave like a real window.

Actors?

TB on September 5, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Fake, but kill them anyway.

S. D. on September 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM

If its fake, then ok. If its real, scaring people into thinking their city is about to be destroyed isn’t funny. That most people think it is, is really sad and I can only hope somebody, someday makes them think they’re going to die.

Personally, I’d choose a UFO instead.

Dongemaharu on September 5, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Actors?
TB on September 5, 2013 at 7:55 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Except that all of the applicants were placed sitting in a chair (in a fixed position) for the “interview” – that is, not moving from one part of the room to another. When they did move, it was basically straight back (AWAY from that “window”). And by then, their analytical/rational capacities were pretty much trashed… I think the scenario is plausible. Despicable, but plausible.

fabrexe on September 5, 2013 at 9:09 PM

TB is right. Good grief; watch it again. They show the candidates walking into the room and sitting down. Besides, you don’t have to move around to tell that the focal distance is wrong. No TV would fool people into thinking it’s a window.

It’s not real.

Pythagoras on September 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM

While we’re on the subject of videos… this is the funniest YouTube arrest video you’ll ever see.

bloggless on September 5, 2013 at 11:28 PM

If it was real, those are the exact idiots who’d have voted for Obumuh were they in America.

stukinIL4now on September 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM

I don’t care I want one.

brainpimp on September 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM

LG is Korean, a descendant of Gold Star. It is NOT Japanese. It is nice to see the business and geographical acumen of the HA commenters.

Old Country Boy on September 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Who said LG was Japanese? I question your reading skills…

working_man on September 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Easy way to test for fakeness:

If these were actors and actresses then you’d spot them in future shows and commercials and plays etc.
‘Course that does require watching lots of Chilean TV, but the chick in the white top would be a find.

Bubba Redneck on September 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM

PolAgnostic on September 5, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Who said LG was Japanese? I question your reading skills…

working_man on September 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I must have imagined it. This was repeated in several citations. Of course the commercial was in Chile.

Old Country Boy on September 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Old Country Boy on September 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Yes, you did imagine it. The poster said that only the truly insane would find this kind of ad entertaining, and then he used the japanese as an example of that group of people. As the target audience, not the producers of the electronics or the advertisement.

There was never a claim that LG is japanese, or that the ad was made in Japan. Only that a japanese audience would find it entertaining.

NapaConservative on September 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM