Video: ObamaCare hikes Wisconsin premiums as much as 125%

posted at 10:41 am on September 4, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Last week, Nebraskans discovered that insurance premiums would rise as much as 143%, thanks to the mandates in ObamaCare that will take effect in January.  This week it’s Wisconsin’s turn.  The local Fox affiliate reports that premiums will rise in every age category by at least a third, and that some coverage could increase as much as 125%, thanks to ObamaCare (via the Weekly Standard):

The state’s Office of the Commissioner of Insurance released estimates of how premium rates for individuals will change under the Affordable Care Act, or ACA.  Those reflect increases from 10% on the low end to as much as 125%.

And with the requirement for individuals to have insurance set to start in less than a month, the law remains controversial.

Starting October first 500,000 Wisconsinites will have to shop for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act and according to the state’s Office of the Commissioner of Insurance, there will be drastic premium increases as a result.

The office compiled date from eight cities for $2,000 deductible plans for three different age groups.  The study did not include the numbers of actual estimated costs, only percentages.  But as an example, the study found, In Appleton a 21-year-old’s cost would increase 54%, a 40-year-old’s about 37% and a 63-year-old’s about 32%.

The Fox report at the link goes on for another two minutes, which mostly focus on the politics of ObamaCare repeal, but there is another note at the end which is worth watching.  The state estimates that 92,000 Wisconsin residents will lose their health insurance, thanks to changes to BadgerCare prompted by the ACA, and will have to buy their insurance on the exchanges.

Even those who already have insurance won’t be able to keep their plans, as an insurance executive points out in arguing that the rate increases compare “apples to oranges” because of the broader coverage mandated by ObamaCare.  To those who object to the jump in premiums, advocates note that this doesn’t include the subsidies provided by the federal government — but those aren’t taken from money trees, either.  That cash comes from taxpayers from a federal government already running hundreds of billions of dollars in the red every year, and not everyone required to buy insurance through the exchanges will qualify for subsidies, either.

To recap: ObamaCare is not controlling costs or prices, and if you liked your earlier plan … tough.

Comments

Oh well, at least if you like your cheese, you can keep it…

hillsoftx on September 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM

“It’s not my fault your premiums went up, it’s the world’s fault.” -President maggOt

Flange on September 4, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Thank Gaia that the bill was read before it was passed into law.

But no complaining, you buttheaded Barky voters, you wanted this and now you got it.

Bishop on September 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM

This thing is turning into one big FAIL….unexpectedly.

jdpaz on September 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Wow, who could have seen this coming?

Chris of Rights on September 4, 2013 at 10:52 AM

“I never said your premiums wouldn’t go up and that you could keep your doctor, that was the international community and congress.”

PackerBronco on September 4, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I’m going to lose my coverage and be dumped in to Obamacare. I’m also going to begin punching Obama voters.

I’m not joking. When I end up eating this sh** sandwich, some folks are gonna eat my knuckles.

M240H on September 4, 2013 at 10:52 AM

hillsoftx on September 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM

If you can afford it.

chemman on September 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I still want to know how often Congress passes fill in the blank laws. We still don’t know the impact of this sucker.

Cindy Munford on September 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Hey all you middle class O’bomba voters, this dud’s for you!

antipc on September 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM

It would be bad enough if these were unexpected consequences. They’re not. Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of economics would have predicted them. Our so called elite leaders must have low 2 digit IQ’s to not understand this. How in the world did they ever get through those elite ivy league schools. Oh that’s right “All bucks and no bang.”

chemman on September 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM

M240H on September 4, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Are you going with the obvious, Obama shirts and bumper stickers or are you going to profile. Drum circles are a dead give away.

Cindy Munford on September 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Punishing the state that embarrassed his union buddies.

CurtZHP on September 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM

PackerBronco on September 4, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Good one! Did he call the medical community “My doctors”?

Cindy Munford on September 4, 2013 at 10:58 AM

The Jugears voters are finally getting a chance to wear the moccasins.

timberline on September 4, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Eat it, Wisconsinites. You voted for it (Al Franken, anyone?), you got it. To those few of you that didn’t vote for this guy, you have my sympathy.

totherightofthem on September 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM

It’s for your own good you ingrates!!! – The One

Patriot Vet on September 4, 2013 at 11:05 AM

totherightofthem on September 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM

There are lots of things you can criticize about Wisconsin, but Al Franken is Minnesota’s fault, not Wisconsin’s.

Probably we’ll hear about Obamacare raising premiums in Minnesota in the next few days, and we can blame Al Franken then.

J.S.K. on September 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM

totherightofthem on September 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Yes, Franken is a douche, but he is from Minnesota, not Wisconsin. Being a former Minnesotan, I do still feel bad for my family that still lives there and has to deal with this useless waste of space.

Patriot Vet on September 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Cindy Munford on September 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I will be profiling: Priuses, Birkenstocks, tie-dyed clothing, anything hipster, union members (esp. UAW), street musicians, teachers …

… alright, I might be joking …

M240H on September 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM

totherightofthem on September 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Get bent. We didn’t vote for Al Franken, it was those hosers in Minne-sota that did that.

We voted for Ron Johnson and Scott Walker and …

err …

Barak Obama and Tammy Baldwin.

… sigh …

Okay, we’re not perfect but THE PACKERS RULE!

… uh …

just not the Bucks or the Brewers …

… damn …

PackerBronco on September 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM

“You’ll be eating a steady diet of government cheese and livin’ in a van down by the river!” – Matt Foley

hurricain on September 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM

totherightofthem on September 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I did not vote for it. Bite me.

M240H on September 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I can hardly wait for tweets from WH staffers, proclaiming this is actually a rate drop and a good thing.

bw222 on September 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM

J.S.K. on September 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM

How about now. It seems it ‘may’ raise premiums by 43%. I am sure that number will go up in the near future. Lots of ‘love’ to go around the country.

Patriot Vet on September 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Hey all you middle class O’bomba voters, this dud’s for you!

antipc on September 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Until the GOP starts doing more to appeal to middle class Americans, enough of a minority of the middle class will vote Democratic to enable a Dem to win.

It’s time for the GOP to start paying more attention to the middle class and less to the crony capitalists.

bw222 on September 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM

“I never pushed for national healthcare, that was Congress.”

-Skinny Bat Faced Loser

Bishop on September 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I still can’t believe this monstrosity will happen.

PattyJ on September 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM

totherightofthem on September 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Take off you hoser… Al is from MN.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on September 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Do we put this under:

“You premiums will go down $2500 per year and you will get a raise.”

or

“If you like your plan you can keep your plan.”

Obama lies?

jukin3 on September 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM

3000% reduction.

Oh yeah

BobMbx on September 4, 2013 at 11:35 AM

The GOP can stop this, but do they have the guts to do it?

They can do it by:
1) Refusing to pass any appropriation bill until Obamacare is repealed.
2) Refusing any hike in the debt ceiling, which would be essentially a blank check for as much spending as Obama wants.
3) Filibuster every Obama appointee until Obamacare is repealed.

Will the GOP support the will of the American people?

nazo311 on September 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM

J.S.K. on September 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM

You’re right. My mistake. Not enough coffee to recall my U.S. geography. Still, I suspect Minnesota will suffer the same fate, since it’s something that is inevitable across the country, so it’s only a matter of time before my post become apropos. ;-)

totherightofthem on September 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Wealth transfer. I hope every damned democrat voter gets mortally harmed from this legislation.

Murphy9 on September 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Take off you hoser… Al is from MN.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on September 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM

See below. I humbly apologize to my Scandinavian relatives. But, higher premiums are surely heading your way too, so eventually you will be able to blame Al and those who voted for him.

totherightofthem on September 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Sheesh! In response to the unblemished posts I’ve made, not a peep out of any of you, not even agreement. Make one mistake however (one which I acknowledge and repent) . . .. This is one tough room but there is no need to be angry.

totherightofthem on September 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Good. Implement Obamacare good and hard. The best way to secure repeal is to let everyone take as much pain as possible from its implementation.

Revenant on September 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM

You like your policy, you can keep your policy. You like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.

Or as Joe Wilson would say…………..

LIAR!

GarandFan on September 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Welcome to the new normal. Brought to you by Hope & Change.

Oxymoron on September 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM

totherightofthem on September 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Consider yourself lucky that Madcon didn’t get on and take you to the wood shed. :)

chemman on September 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Is Obomber that dumb to think this legislation will be his signature legacy and endure him for the ages?

docflash on September 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I am going to be hated for this comment, but based on the information available to me today, my family premiums in Kansas may be reduced by almost $2000 a month and it involves no subsidies. There is a cost calculator, but none of the prices are set in stone until Oct. so I will reserve judgement until then. But our Group premiums have been over $3000 a month this year and it is a fiarly high deductible plan. The oldest insured in my family is 61, so I thought we might see some reduction on the exchange, but I had no idea. I do feel bad for the younger people subsidizing those of us nearing retirement.

bopbottle on September 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM

As long as the Wisconsin Union members get to keep their doctors, no problem…

Khun Joe on September 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM

totherightofthem on September 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Actually, you are correct. I worked in Hudson, Wisconsin during the 2008 election (right on the St. Croix River). The Obama get-out-the-vote peeps were busing college kids back and forth across the state lines so they could vote in both Wisconsin and Minnesota… but there’s no such thing as voter fraud, uh-uh… no siree Bob Al.

Fallon on September 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM

What about this year? The influence of Obamacare already raised my premiums 225%. It would have been 400+% if I would have kept my (adult) kids covered. No one talks about what it has already done because of forced dependent and pre-existing coverage. Car insurance went up 45% also because of medical.

TerryW on September 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Fallon on September 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM

:-)

totherightofthem on September 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM

bopbottle on September 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I believe this may be typical. Those aged maybe 50 or so and above, and low-income or retired but not yet eligible for Medicare will come out ahead.

The “younger people subzidizing” though is theoretical. I can’t see them actually signing up, and that’s why the bottom falls out of the loathsome Obamacare.

slickwillie2001 on September 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Fallon on September 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM

This is a very common democratic party tactic in major cities cut by state borders, like Kansas City and St. Louis.

Federal law should require states to cross their voter rolls with all adjacent states.

slickwillie2001 on September 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Will the GOP support the will of the American people?

nazo311 on September 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM

catsandbooks on September 4, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Just consider Ogabecare as a small bump on the way to single-payer.

catsandbooks on September 4, 2013 at 12:51 PM

We have an additional little drama playing out in western PA between Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC).

Highmark was always the insurer; UPMC was always a hospital network. A decade or so ago, UPMC decided to form their own insurance company, in addition to continuing to gobbling up tons of regional community hospitals, and in one case, demolishing one in a low-income neighborhood that had served their population up to that point. Highmark then took the six or seven unaffiliated-with-UPMC hospitals under their wing.

Now there’s a TV and radio PR war between both entities, with UPMC threatening to not honor any Highmark health insurances after 2014. Everyone who has Highmark will have to pay out-of-network costs if they choose to go to any UPMC affiliated clinic or hospital. Never mind that UPMC’s CEO, a supposed not-for-profit entity, pulls down in excess of a million dollars in salary, and the other officers are similarly compensated. The perception is that the UPMC system is “better,” but most docs I see are affiliated with both Highmark and UPMC hospitals. There are other insurers in the area, such as Aetna and Cigna, but a person would never know it; they try their best to get noticed amid the considerable noise from UPMC and Highmark.

In any case, Tom Corbett could end all this silliness by ordering UPMC and Highmark to stop it, but I have been reading that he’s even waffling on his previous hardline attitude of not setting up Obamacare exchanges in the state. So that’s another layer of uncertainty we have to deal with in addition to the debacle of Obamacare.

PatriotGal2257 on September 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM

bopbottle on September 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM

No hate here. You’re the target audience for this boondoggle, and the ones they’ll trot out as saving bajillions of dollars now that insurance is affordable.

Except it’s not. It’s just the cost is masked. For as long as they are able to maintain the facade, anyway.

The Schaef on September 4, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Nebraskans discovered that insurance premiums would rise as much as 143%, thanks to the mandates in ObamaCare…

This week it’s Wisconsin’s turn. The local Fox affiliate reports that premiums will rise in every age category by at least a third, and that some coverage could increase as much as 125%, thanks to ObamaCare

Marxism is expensive!