Rand Paul: John Kerry “sounds like he must be a clairvoyant”

posted at 10:01 pm on September 4, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Heh. This is from yesterday evening, but I think it still pretty darn relevant after another day of John Kerry testifying at Congressional hearings concerning Syria, this time over on the House side. The administration is putting on their confident face in insisting that “limited action” will accomplish their stated stop-chemical-weapons-use, get-in-get-out immediate goal, but they’re certainly positing to know an awful lot about exactly how that “limited action” will play out in that very unpredictable region. The segment starts out with a clip from yesterday’s Senate hearing, and you can practically see Paul resisting the urge to roll his eyes when Kerry emphatically insists that if we don’t “hold them accountable” on their chemical-weapons use, it’s “a guarantee that Assad will do it again.”

Well, he sounds like he must be a clairvoyant because he can predict the future now and we should ask him for stock picks, who name it, who will win the Kentucky derby next year if he can guarantee the future. No one can guarantee the future. We don’t know how Assad will react and I think there’s an equal argument to be made if the U.S. bombs him that it will be more likely that he launches another gas attack, more likely that he might attack Israel, more likely that there will be more instability in the region. More likely that the Russians might get involved or Iran might get involved. So, I think there are arguments to be made on both sides of this, but it’s not some kind of slam dunk guarantee that Secretary Kerry makes it out to be. He’s overstating his ability to predict the future.

Comments

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Wino on September 4, 2013 at 10:07 PM

We all end up dead. The question is how and why.

Wino on September 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I used to know a “Claire Buoyant.” Hell of a swimmer.

predator on September 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Judging by where John Kerry has his head I doubt if he can see anything.

fogw on September 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Kerry should get another Purple Heart for the hammering he just took from Senator Paul.

Panther on September 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Maybes,

Kerry also has Out Of Body Experience (OBE’s) too,while he is awake!

Jus say’n!!

canopfor on September 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Maybes,

Kerry getting shot in his *ss,made him into
a Psychic Medium thingy!!

canopfor on September 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Paul should have pulled a Clinton…

‘[Your assessment] requires a willing suspension of disbelief.’

- Senator Hillary Clinton to General Petraeus

Resist We Much on September 4, 2013 at 10:20 PM

The problem with applying concepts like clairvoyance to Democrats and the Media is that they create their own truths, and therefore the outcome will always be exactly what they say they had predicted all along, even when that reality flies in the face of what they had previously predicted.

Examples:

Obamacare will be a benefit to the country.
Global Warming causes more hurricanes, blizzards, bigger ice caps, and leads to cooling.
Abortion is not murder
Obama is a great leader
Democrats are always smarter than Republicans
Media is not liberal to the point of making Mother Russia blush
Raising taxes is good for the economy

too many better examples to list. Please add your own.

It does not matter what reality and truth are anymore. The lies are repeated by the politburo media, and the little lier in chief will continue the destruction of all that was once good.

Think back to the 2nd debate, where you could almost hear the gasps from the audience when the truth was almost spoken aloud in front of the 10% country that bothered to watch, and just as quickly was forgotten as Candy made sure it was buried again, and tossed a bunch of manure on top to ensure no one remembered what they had hoped was about to be said.

The truth may not be dead, but it does not matter any more.

Floriduh Jim on September 4, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Maybes,

Kerry getting shot in his *ss,made him into
a Psychic Medium thingy!!

canopfor on September 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Well, psychic powers, allegedly, originate in the area around the brain.

Resist We Much on September 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Tojo was sure the United States would agree to a negotiated peace after Pearl Harbor.

Mussolini knew the British would not support the Greeks.

Hitler was certain Britain and France wouldn’t go to war over Poland, and that Russia would collapse when the Wehrmacht hit it.

And he and Napoleon both absolutely, positively, 100% guaranteed their generals that a Russian winter would not handicap their armies.

If Kerry wants to emulate “strategists” of the past, he’s picking a really bad set of prior examples to copy.

clear ether

eon

eon on September 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Kerry knew the future before he didn’t.

TXUS on September 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Jim Inhofe said that attacking Syria with the military we have would be “catastrophic”.

Take that Army of Clowns that rule us from D.C.

PappyD61 on September 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Mussolini knew the British would not support the Greeks.

clear ether

eon

eon on September 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Point of order – the Russians DID collapse when the Wehrmacht hit it. Had they went in May instead of June, the Cold War would have been versus Greater Germany instead of the Soviet Union.

Steve Eggleston on September 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM

…glass jaw!

KOOLAID2 on September 4, 2013 at 10:25 PM

remember when you guys hated Ron Paul for making the same case?

“We have no proof that Iran is building chemical weapons” – Ron Paul
during presidential debates. Cons faint of anger

“We don’t know if Assad is going to use chemical weapons again” – Rand Paul while not disputing that chemical was used.
Cons rejoice!

At least watching the left act like hawks is funny…..

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 4, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I’ll go with the Senator from Kentucky on this one. I am firmly against this Military engagement with Syria..

Bmore on September 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Er, Russia and Iran are already involved.

John the Libertarian on September 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 4, 2013 at 10:25 PM

So I can put you down as pro war with Syria then?

Bmore on September 4, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Well said, Rand.

Conservchik on September 4, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Bmore on September 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM

“Let Allah sort ‘em out.” – S.P.

predator on September 4, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Panther on September 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM

yeah..you guys used to love Chris Christie too.

Seriously, it’s fascinating to watch you guys worship Ron Paul’s son…out of all people! You know he’s ok with letting 11 million illegals stay here right? oh yeah..as soon as the “boder is secured FIRST!” that first matters.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 4, 2013 at 10:29 PM

canopfor on September 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Well, psychic powers, allegedly, originate in the area around the brain.

Resist We Much on September 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Resist We Much:Lol,you are sharp as a tac today,haha:)

canopfor on September 4, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Ann Coulter used to love Chris Christie, but I’ve never seen her post anything here.

predator on September 4, 2013 at 10:30 PM

predator on September 4, 2013 at 10:27 PM

predator!!! I see no reason not to go that route. I have zero confidence in who and what kind of gas it was. Or even if it was. AQ as Assads opposition? Why would we want to get involved. Liked her other quote as well.

“So we’re bombing Syria because Syria is bombing Syria? And I’m the idiot?”

Bmore on September 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Wait! Wait! Ann Coulter is…bluegill! Playing a little “devil’s advocate!” It all makes sense now!

predator on September 4, 2013 at 10:32 PM

That’s gotta hurt.

gophergirl on September 4, 2013 at 10:32 PM

So I can put you down as pro war with Syria then?

Bmore on September 4, 2013 at 10:27 PM

We didn’t go to war in Libya or Egypt, I don’t see why it is being ruled out that this can’t be done the same. I’m for cutting their b@lls.

If we don’t do it, I HOPE AND PRAY they gas Israel next. Will lower the deficit for sure!/

If it could be proven to you (somehow) that it would be limited, would you support it? Or do you really don’t see this act as unacceptable (therefore you wouldn’t be for it under any circumstances)?

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM

“So we’re bombing Syria because Syria is bombing Syria? And I’m the idiot?”

Bmore on September 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Heh…when you have two enemies who are trying to destroy each other, you do …..what?

*I know the answer*

predator on September 4, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Troll alert.

Wino on September 4, 2013 at 10:35 PM

“So we’re bombing Syria because Syria is bombing Syria? And I’m the idiot?”

Bmore on September 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM

That was one of her best.

gophergirl on September 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM

predator on September 4, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Well, not that you know of, at least…

JohnGalt23 on September 4, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Most people couldn’t pick Rand Paul out of a lineup.

A pin drop in the forest.

Let the GOP corpse lie still.

faraway on September 4, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Let’s say that we topple Assad. Then what, genius?

Oh, don’t tell me! You actually believe the whole ‘moderate’ rebel crap! You probably believe that, unlike Assad, they wouldn’t gas Israel, if given the chance.

America Has No National Interest In Syria & There’s No Guarantee That Our Intervention Will Make Things Any Better…For Anyone.

Resist We Much on September 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM

So, I’ll put you down as for?

Bmore on September 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Barky & Lurch are trying to confound the enemy by playing the old acting being insane trick.

viking01 on September 4, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Thanks for that, Erika. I would not have seen that if not for this.

We could use a dozen more people like Rand Paul speaking truth to power.

Dusty on September 4, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Mussolini knew the British would not support the Greeks.

clear ether

eon

eon on September 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM

You always have a way of cutting through all the “Ether” and establishing clarity of understanding.

I appreciate you.

44Magnum on September 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM

That Senate resolution should have stated at the end:

“If everything turns to crap after the President acts, he, his entire administration, and everyone who voted for this resolution will IMMEDIATELY resign.”

GarandFan on September 4, 2013 at 10:53 PM

predator on September 4, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Had to change devices. ; ) you heading over to QotD?

That was one of her best.

gophergirl on September 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Once in a while she gets it right. Lolz!

Bmore on September 4, 2013 at 10:54 PM

What is with Kerry pointing his crooked finger in self-righteous dudgeon a la BJ Clinton? Is that supposed to confirm the truthiness of their assertions?

onlineanalyst on September 4, 2013 at 10:57 PM

You know why I am against it….

Bombing the lesser of two evils in a civil war is stupid unless the lesser of two evils attacks us, which they have not. I mean this is like basic strategy and foreign policy 101, but no…now I am called a neo-isolationist!

Exit Question: Why does John McCain care about every other country’s borders on this earth except our own?

William Eaton on September 4, 2013 at 10:59 PM

predator on September 4, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Had to change devices. ; ) you heading over to QotD?

That was one of her best.

gophergirl on September 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Once in a while she gets it right. Lolz!

Bmore on September 4, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Prolly not, my friend. I’m about to hit the rack. Work tomorrow. I get up early.

predator on September 4, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Just a follow up if I may. I see no National Security risk. Hence the reason for my no. If in response to our attacks Assad attacked Israel what would your take be? So far Syria to the best of my knowledge has not ventured out of its boundaries. It’s been largely an internal fight between party’s the US has no love for. Why stop the internal conflict? Double checking. Put you down as pro war?

Bmore on September 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Sorry iPad thingy.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Bmore on September 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Bmore on September 4, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Good Night predator, Sleep Easy.

Bmore on September 4, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Its weird. I’ve never seen Republicans so against war or Democrats so for it.

Its like after the big Iraq debacle both sides just traded points of views. I literally remember reading comment boards and seeing some of the EXACT same reasons for opposing the war from Democrats that I’m now seeing on Republican boards.

Examples..

They didn’t attack us directly
They’re not a threat to us
Who cares what their leader does to his own people, its not our business.
Etc..

Seriously, google some old articles from back then and read thru the comment sections.

Its quite amazing actually. Americans are such sheep. Me included…

Smh

Politricks on September 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Neither one of the two came across as particularly brilliant, IMHO.

Ronnie on September 4, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Troll alert.

Wino on September 4, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Like I always say, either Canadians or homosexuals, for some reason.

slickwillie2001 on September 4, 2013 at 11:24 PM

So your saying the left is taking a pro war stance? Not been my observation at all. Where are the pro war leftist commenters you speak of?

Bmore on September 4, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Its weird. I’ve never seen Republicans so against war or Democrats so for it.

Politricks on September 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Actually, the left is still fighting on the same side as al qaeda and the right still isn’t. Nothing has changed.

Ronnie on September 4, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 4, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Idiot, Ron blamed 9/11 on us. How’s is this even remotely the same?

jawkneemusic on September 4, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 4, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Come to think of it. I could be fine with letting 11 million illegals stay that would contribute to America because they want the opportunity to become bona fide citizens while we kick out the other 20 to 30 millions only interested in preying or mooching off us citizens.

That 11 million number you toss around is so turn of the century, there are at least 30 million. Including those here by dint of being anchor babies would push the number higher. And that’s using “international norms”, a term getting a lot of play these days. Ironic, eh?

AH_C on September 4, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Bmore on September 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM

That’s correct, we are intervening in somebody else’s civil war (neither of the two sides being our ‘friends’ or allies by any outlandish definition) which is by all accounts utter insanity. Let the UN handle this mess, they have enough legitimacy and clout in the region, what with all the Arab nutjobs elected as heads of UN Committees and sub-subcommittees and commissions and all that…Send the Blue Helmets (or whatever color they might be these days) to monitor the situation on the ground there and act as a buffer between the coockoos, and to ensure that chemical weapons are not utilised against innocent civilian population, that’s all.

jimver on September 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM

You send me or my son to war agaunst 7th century head choppers,,

Don’t be offended when we send barrels of tongues down river.

You want to take Syria? Ok. By their rules.

Otherwise, fuggetaboutit.

PC loss. Slaughter the enemy. Flamethrowers, all of it.

They don’t fear us. We have ROE’s pissing on a dead enemy combantant? Utube it. Promote it.

We kill you. Then we piss on you. Leave you for the buzzards.

I’m down with that. You think the head choppers think otherwise?

Unleash hell, then get out. Ten years from now, maybe their kids will seek peace. If not, kill them again. Try later. Wasting time dealing with barbarians.

We could just drill here. That might work. Or kill a bunch of them.

Either or.

wolly4321 on September 5, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Me thinks that Lurch’s face lift…. has made his “lil head” smarter than his BIG HEAD.

roflmmfao

donabernathy on September 5, 2013 at 12:16 AM

The japanese and Germans have left us alone.

My grandfather SHOT enough of them. Seemed to work.

wolly4321 on September 5, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Paul should have pulled a Clinton…

‘[Your assessment] requires a willing suspension of disbelief.’

- Senator Hillary Clinton to General Petraeus

Resist We Much on September 4, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Perfect! Not only so, but Republicans should start quoting every statement the Donks used against Bush when they were against war before they were for war. Throw it all back in their stinking faces and make ‘em eat it. Over and over and over again.

HiJack on September 5, 2013 at 12:21 AM

You send me or my son to war agaunst 7th century head choppers,,

Don’t be offended when we send barrels of tongues down river.

You want to take Syria? Ok. By their rules.

Otherwise, fuggetaboutit.

PC loss. Slaughter the enemy. Flamethrowers, all of it.

We kill you. Then we piss on you. Leave you for the buzzards.

I’m down with that. You think the head choppers think otherwise?

We could just drill here. That might work. Or kill a bunch of them.

Either or.

wolly4321 on September 5, 2013 at 12:07 AM

But let’s remember that it’s for the children…

HiJack on September 5, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Well, psychic powers, allegedly, originate in the area around the brain.

Resist We Much

I guess that means canIbeinthemiddle has analkinesis.

xblade on September 5, 2013 at 12:25 AM

jimver on September 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Yep. Things such as this make understand conspiracy folks a wee bit better. Not saying this blog I’m linking is or isn’t but it does meld with whats currently unfolding.

Bmore on September 5, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Keep playing around with bullshit excuses and,, you will get your rifle.

(naa, history doesn’t back me up)

wolly4321 on September 5, 2013 at 12:30 AM

jawkneemusic on September 4, 2013 at 11:40 PM

No, he didn’t, you disgusting liar.

iwasbornwithit on September 5, 2013 at 12:31 AM

iwasbornwithit on September 5, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Can I put you down as pro war as well?

Bmore on September 5, 2013 at 12:42 AM

There’s a ton of stuff for the chilldren. I don’t think they willingly submitted, though.

It’s strange like that. They will hardly ever know who did what they did. No history book will record it. No school will each it.

wolly4321 on September 5, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Can I put you down as pro war as well?
Bmore on September 5, 2013 at 12:42 AM

iwasbornwithit on September 5, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Pro war libs. We see now it’s ALL ideology.

Not a thought about what is best. Nothing.

Not even about war.

wolly4321 on September 5, 2013 at 12:54 AM

It’s great to see the war monger John Kerry so anxious to go to war in Syria because of something that MIGHT happen after his Winter Soldier crap against the VietNam war where the large Communist states ACTUALLY WERE taking over small countries by installing puppet governments.

RJL on September 5, 2013 at 1:15 AM

The freakin red line liar is working his strategy. Let’s bomb tomorrow; no let’s bomb next Monday; nah, let’s bomb two weeks from last Sunday. All this hoping that somebody else will do something or this mess he created will go away. All about him. I have never seen such a sad dumb a$$ in my life. He is surpassed only by the 52million dumb a$$es who voted for him. Judas sold out Jesus for thirty pieces of silver; Prez BombyPants will sell out the USA for his pernicious egomaniacal ego. God, I despise what makes him tick.

AReadyRepub on September 5, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Precisely. All these wing nuts are just getting their knickers in a twist over a harmless little bit of Kinetic Military Action™. Sure, some of our allies may be a bit prone to workplace violence, but hey, no one’s perfect.

And anyway, Egypt and Libya turned out just swimmingly.

RINO in Name Only on September 5, 2013 at 1:25 AM

iwasbornwithit on September 5, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Thanks, I really didn’t think you were, lately it’s good to ask. Clarity and what.

Bmore on September 5, 2013 at 1:34 AM

RINO in Name Only on September 5, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Lolz! ; )

Bmore on September 5, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Maybe Obama can ask his friend Vladimir if he will drop a few fire-crackers on the Syrian red-line for him? That way the world will know that we let Assad know that whatever he did, we don’t approve of it.

That way everyone saves face … and we avoid WWIII.

Meanwhile … what about unemployment, the economy and immigration?

virgo on September 5, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on September 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Yes, genius, ‘you’ didn’t go to war indeed, our armed forces did and put their lives on the line for this joke of a president… And just because we could afford to screw up a small, corrupt and let’s say already f…ed up country like Lybia, doesn’t mean it will play out the same in Syria. Only total and incorrigible imbeciles such as yourself don’t understand the geopolitics and the ramifications of an intervention in Syria..I have three words for you, that should give you pause: Israel, Iran, Russia….jeeez, what planet are you people from?? Did you even graduate high school, have you even seen a map of the ME in your life???

jimver on September 5, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Rand Paul alluded to Vietnam, the war in which Kerry served.

Hey, gang, i was around in those days. That was NOT a war, in name only. It killed people like a war. It destroyed lives like a war. It destroyed whole regions of Vietnam like a war. It wasted money like a war. But, it was not a war. Soldiers fought and died like it was a war. But, it was a police action.

Much later it was declared, “Oh yeah, that really was a war after all.” During that interim soldiers with wracked and destroyed bodies came home and could not get proper veterans benefits. And Congress NEVER DECLARED WAR. Lyndon B. Johnson, a name which forever shall be one of infamy, did all this as a police action. Congress let him get away with it by voting him more and more money for the police action.

THAT is what I see coming out of Obama. When it happens I hope congress has the intestinal fortitude to pull Obama up short and impeach him.

{^_^}

herself on September 5, 2013 at 4:20 AM

Senator Paul is correct. Zero does not intend to send a message, and Assad is not a weepy RINO.

There is no issue in Syria vital to our national defense and Zero is already failing epically everywhere else he started a fight of is supposed to be completing one.

dogsoldier on September 5, 2013 at 5:43 AM

I used to know a “Claire Buoyant.” Hell of a swimmer.

predator on September 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM

The Buoyant? It’s a great rainbow trout lure, but this is the first time that I heard she had a first name–Claire huh?
In the meantime did Paul commit to one side or the other?

Don L on September 5, 2013 at 5:58 AM

Pro war libs. We see now it’s ALL ideology.

Yup, they just love war. Look at their decades long war on innocent life in (and out) of the womb.
You didn’t really think they support peace did you?

Don L on September 5, 2013 at 6:02 AM

I say we bomb them for humanitarian purposes.

steel guy on September 5, 2013 at 6:27 AM

You are equivocating. Only the second sentence was necessary, but for some reason you felt you needed to add the first.

That is utterly nonsensical.

Maddie on September 5, 2013 at 7:13 AM

We can’t possibly take the side of terrorists. I can see it now, the US of Al Qaeda Air Force in action. It’s national and cultural blasphemy.

Mojave Mark on September 5, 2013 at 7:36 AM

herself on September 5, 2013 at 4:20 AM

one of the reasons why I keep bringing up the ‘Gulf of Ton-kin resolution’. it really fits here, gave LBJ the ability to escalate the action in South East Asia, when in fact it did not really happen, we are seeing that again here, BHO will get the same resolution and get us into a mess we have no right to get into.

RonK on September 5, 2013 at 7:50 AM

America, the new Janissaries.

Viator on September 5, 2013 at 7:54 AM

What bothers me about this resolution being crafted by the senate committee is that they don’t really have the authority to tell the president how he can conduct a war. If they do that and he follows their instructions to the letter and the plan fails, then surely the Won will be able to blame the Rs for that, too. There are too many webs being spun here by the regime.

Kissmygrits on September 5, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Judging from past performances, King Barky the Anti-Midas will screw the pooch like everything he touches. That is why I’m against it.

jukin3 on September 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM