AFL-CIO’s Trumka: Yeah, employers are cutting workers’ hours because of ObamaCare

posted at 6:41 pm on September 4, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Labor Day was presumably not a particularly happy occasion for AFL-CIO boss Richard Trumka this year; he had, after all, only just learned that 40,000 Longshoremen were formally ending their association with the AFL-CIO chiefly because of ObamaCare and immigration disputes, exacerbating the general dismay that Big Labor is increasingly expressing as they realize that their many ministrations on behalf of ObamaCare’s passage were practically for naught. Trumka has lately been occupying himself by making sure that his headache is also the Obama administration’s headache, the better to relentlessly lobby them to alter the law on unions’ behalf. I don’t know if I’d say that we’re quite witnessing the full under-the-bus mode, but this is escalating quickly:

The Affordable Care Act does need some modifications to it, because as it does right now, what’s happening is, you have employers that the law says if you pay your, if your employees work 30 hours or more a week, you’ve got to give them healthcare. So they’re restructuring their workforce to give workers 29 and a half hours so they don’t have to provide them healthcare. They’re also doing some taxing to nonprofit plans to pay for for-profit plans.

I can’t imagine that the Obama administration could have possibly imagined a harmonious outcome here; so many promises to so many special interests all thrown together into one ginormous package remaking the entire health-care industry in their image was hardly a recipe for a steadfast coalition. Sure, it got the law passed sans any bipartisanship whatsoever, but now that the Obama administration has been making concessions for certain rent-seeking groups, they can hardly expect positive press the ones still in line.

Comments

“The Affordable Care Act does need some modifications to it,

such as excluding us from it.”

Richard Trumpka

dirtseller on September 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM

At least David Shuster was able to find a job.

rw on September 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM

c’mon, why shouldn’t union members get the same perks as congress, their staff and every connected democrat operative?

DanMan on September 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Trumka:”We’re finding out what’s in the bill right now but I really don’t give a squirt of Pi$$ because it doesn’t really affect me. I’ll continue to waddle my fat ass around blathering on about ‘the working man’ and I’ll still be a lumpy, short, overpaid crooked loud mouth’.

UNION STRONG!!!!!

BigWyo on September 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Affordable Hair Act…

BigWyo on September 4, 2013 at 6:59 PM

A slimeball of the the Judas class.

He’ll get the judgement he richly deserves.

acyl72 on September 4, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Korades is feature not bug.

We are going to glorious future, GLORIOUS!!!!

jukin3 on September 4, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Here’s what my senator said when I accused him of getting subsidized subsidies that us poor taxpayers don’t receive:

Dear Mr. :

Thank you for contacting me regarding health insurance for members of Congress and their staffs. Members of Congress certainly have good health insurance, but it is not free, it is not exclusive to members, and it is not government insurance.

Members of Congress did not exempt themselves from any part of Affordable Care Act (ACA). In fact, members of Congress and their staffs are losing their employer coverage under ACA and instead will be required to purchase one of the exact same plans in the health insurance marketplaces that will cover millions of other Americans beginning in January. Eligible employees will get help paying their premiums just like they did when they were covered under the Federal Employees Health Benefits program–the program that covers Federal employees, retirees, and their families, but will no longer cover members of Congress and their staffs.

I appreciate hearing from you on this issue. It is an honor to serve Florida in the U.S. Senate, and your input helps me better represent you. Please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Sincerely,
Bill Nelson

jb34461 on September 4, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Tomorrow Trumka’s minions will pose as grassroots workers at Walmart and stage a grassroots walkout.

So don’t worry about the union thugs. They’ll be drinking beer by noon tomorrow.

patman77 on September 4, 2013 at 7:26 PM

You would have to have a heart of stone not to laugh at these clowns.

I knew when I saw Nancy Pelosi wielding that giant gavel with an ear-to-ear SEG in the notorious photo following the Democrat jam job of Obamacare that somehow, some day something fun would come out of this.

Mason on September 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM

patman77 on September 4, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Yep, prize for anyone that finds a real Walmart employee with a picket. They’ll be paid protesters hired locally, for less money than a Walmart employee makes, and no benefits, no SS.

slickwillie2001 on September 4, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Brayam could not be reached for comment.

CW on September 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM

slickwillie2001 on September 4, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Local my ass… They’ll bus em’ over state lines, pay them with Obamaphones and cigarettes, rehire them as Obamacare Navigators and those folks, my friend, will be court ordered moving into our neighborhoods soon.

patman77 on September 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Brayam could not be reached for comment.

CW on September 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM

(:->)

KOOLAID2 on September 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM

…good!

KOOLAID2 on September 4, 2013 at 7:53 PM

You wanted ObamaCare, Trumka, ya fat ass. You got ObamaCare. Now BEND OVER AND SMILE!

GarandFan on September 4, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Your money is on the nightstand, Trumka.

If you can figure out how to get yourself untied, that is…

ajacksonian on September 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Perhaps they should have seriously analyzed the effects of all the provisions of the PPACA before deciding that it HAD to be a good thing for their membership and union operations (benefits and such). But I guess that if Congress couldn’t spend the time to read and understand the bill then why the heck should organizations supporting it and would be affected by it do what Congress didn’t.

Now they want waivers. I wonder if they get them and a non-Democrat gets elected in 2016, what they will do if the waivers were then pulled. What Obama giveth another President can taketh away.

Russ808 on September 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Wow, who could have seen this coming?

Chris of Rights on September 5, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I have a feeling this will be a quiet -under the table -wink and nod transaction between Obama and trumka. If a major exemption for unions comes to light I think all hell will break loose ( which is what I’m hoping for)

jaywemm on September 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM