Top House Dem: If Congress opposes Syria intervention, Obama must stand down

posted at 6:41 pm on September 3, 2013 by Allahpundit

The whole clip’s worth watching but skip to the last minute or so to see see Chris Van Hollen, former chair of the DCCC and current ranking member of the Budget Committee, lay down his own little red line for O. Remember, according to the White House, the big vote in Congress isn’t necessarily binding on Obama. If the House torpedoes a Syria AUMF, the Supreme Leader may decide for the good of the country and the world to proceed with an attack on Assad anyway. How he plans to sell that to an already skeptical public, I have no idea. The normal M.O. for presidents who want to attack and don’t want to be bothered by congressional approval is to go ahead and do it and then seek retroactive authorization under the War Powers Resolution. It is, as the saying goes, easier to seek forgiveness than permission. The only reason he’d go to Congress first, I assume, is because he does plan to abide by their decision. If they greenlight the attack, great — they’re on the hook with him for whatever happens after that. If they redlight it, great — then he can back off from his stupid “red line” pronouncements and blame Congress for any new WMD insanity that happens in Syria. This is, then, mostly empty rhetoric by Van Hollen, designed to make it sound like Congress is asserting its prerogatives even though O’s using them as a political hedge.

But there’s a tiny bit more to it than that.

Right. The big worry for Pelosi, Van Hollen, and the rest of the Democratic leadership is that some Dems will vote no on the assumption that O will ignore whatever happens in Congress and attack Syria anyway. It’s a costless vote in theory: Appease the anti-war elements in the lefty base by opposing the AUMF and then trust Obama to play the heroic C-in-C by bombing the monster Assad anyway. Hard to believe any professional pol could be so stupid as not to see political trouble for O looming by forcing him to ignore the will of Congress in intervening in Syria, but here’s Van Hollen trying to signal to his caucus that, yes indeed, dropping bombs after the legislature has voted against it would put Obama in, shall we say, a bit of a spot. A vote against an attack is a vote against Obama. That’s the Democratic message, and that’s how they keep their caucus in line. When in doubt on a difficult matter of foreign policy, stick with mindless partisan loyalty.

That also explains why Van Hollen’s taking the lead on writing a narrow AUMF that would grant Obama power to conduct only very limited strikes — again, in theory. In return for liberals sparing The One from a searing humiliation by his own party, House Democrats are going to try to make the vote more salable to doves by circumscribing the president’s power. (Van Hollen told Greg Sargent explicitly that the closer Obama veers towards McCain/Graham super-hawkishness, the more Democrats he’ll lose.) But as I say, watch the clip below. Van Hollen explicitly leaves open the possibility of more strikes later if Assad uses chemical weapons again. And why wouldn’t he? He knows how difficult a predicament Obama’s been placed in here; if he was willing to dare him to enforce the red line once, a few cruise missiles and airstrikes shouldn’t deter him from trying again. And even if Assad’s personally deterred, Iran and Hezbollah might not be: They care about projecting Shiite power, not about Assad’s individual fate. They could launch their own chemical weapons attacks in Syria to humiliate the U.S., not caring particularly how the White House responds against the Syrian military. There’s no such thing as a truly narrow AUMF. But then, if you’ve been paying attention to Afghanistan for the past 12 years, you already know that.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Near-future news – Chris Van Hollen primaried out.

Steve Eggleston on September 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM

How about if steps down instead? I could get behind that.

Fabozz on September 3, 2013 at 6:48 PM

How he plans to sell that to an already skeptical public, I have no idea.

Why would Dog Eater need to sell it; he ignores half the populace, the other half think he’s incredible just for being able to operate a toilet lever, and the GOP wouldn’t impeach him if he executed the latest MOH awardee with a chainsaw on live television.

Bark can do whatever the hell he wants because there isn’t anyone to hold him to account, the man is a king in everything but name only.

Bishop on September 3, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Man alive – the blog updates are one dbag after another!

22044 on September 3, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Near-future news – Chris Van Hollen primaried out.

Steve Eggleston on September 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I wish – but he represents federal government workers in Maryland. He probably dies in that chair. Or maybe he runs for Senator.

22044 on September 3, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Any AUMF will be twisted into the largest pretzel you’ll ever see. Just vote no.

rbj on September 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM

own it dems…he is all yours

cmsinaz on September 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I can see a President needing to act straight away on a strike against us directly. The understatement here is, 0 telegraphed the punch. Turns out he is pink. Go figure. Just a complete mess. Rudderless comes to mind. Both sides of the isle. Embarrassing.

Bmore on September 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

What we are seeing is a generational, not a partisan riff (and its causing partisan’s like RWM et als heads to explode). Younger members of Congress are simply no longer going to buy into scaremongering developed under the Cold War when Americans just believed whatever BS the federal government fed them about our “national interests” and “security.” The irony of the fact that most older Americans are “conservative” is that most older conservatives are massively conformist. They grew up in a society where it didn’t matter *what* the government said, you believed that the communists were a threat and you believed *any time* the government told you that a certain war or conflict was about opposing communism.

Younger folks, be they GOP or Democrat, have utterly and completely broken free from that notion. It started under Clinton and the pointlessness of the Kosovo and Somalia adventures, was blown out of the box by the failures of the Bush Administration in Iraq and Afghanistan and utterly tattered into pathetic dust molecules by Obama’s utter reversal on pacifism from candidate to President. The era is over, thank heavens. Let the return of American isolationism arise and with a vengeance! (CW will accuse my boyfriend of having written this post because I didn’t talk about “throwing shade” or something….)

libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

lol — well, it depends on what it says, right?

Axe on September 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Top House Dem: If Congress opposes Syria intervention, Obama must stand down.

Ummm, no.

That is not how Obama does things.

“He do what he want, he do what he want.”

coldwarrior on September 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM

That is not how Obama does things.

“He do what he want, he do what he want.”

coldwarrior on September 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I believe you are referring to Paula “I is what I is” Deen.

libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Man alive – the blog updates are one dbag after another!

22044 on September 3, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Except for Bolton – FIFM.

22044 on September 3, 2013 at 7:01 PM

erin burnett is digging that boehner and cantor are supporting obama

cmsinaz on September 3, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Finally. Excellent. I’ll make the popcorn.

Axe on September 3, 2013 at 7:02 PM

how is tingles doing, I wonder

cmsinaz on September 3, 2013 at 7:02 PM

libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

So, put you down as, pro war?

Bmore on September 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM

libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I can’t believe I agree with everything you said.

oceansidecon on September 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM

libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Very weak retort.

This is bad for your type no matter how it turns out.

cozmo on September 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM

ROFL

When did we militarily intervene in Libya with Operation Odyssey Dawn…if you said “2011″ then you would be right.

When was Dog Eater reelected as preznit…if you said “2012″ then you would be right.

Now on this old tattered ‘Girls of Yamaha Racing’ calendar in the shop, it looks as if 2012 came AFTER 2011, and I’m thinking science would agree with me.

So please explain, Mr. Isolationist, why did you vote for a guy who authorized U.S. military action against a nation on the other side of the world which couldn’t possibly harm us? Feel free to use graphs, PDFs, pie charts, whatever you need.

Bishop on September 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM

So, put you down as, pro war?

Bmore on September 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Of course silly. His lord and master demands it.

cozmo on September 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Bishop on September 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM

(starts sundial 3,846)

22044 on September 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM

libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

God help me Lib… I partially agree. I need a drink.

But I think it boils down to: We’re we attacked, and is it in our national and national security interest. And I certainly don’t see it on either side.

It should be in our interest to do what we can to feed and shelter the refugees.

oldroy on September 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM

libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Kruzchev beating his shoe on a table while screaming “We will bury you”was not a threat then?I was in about the 6th grade then and it sure sounded like a threat.Thanks for clearing that up for me.

docflash on September 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I believe you are referring to Paula “I is what I is” Deen.

libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM

There are times you just need to SHUT UP.

This is one of them.

herm2416 on September 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM

So when this whole farce plays out; Barry gets his bombs, and the situation goes south fast, EVERYONE who voted for bombing will resign in disgrace.

Right?

GarandFan on September 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Good Lord. We are going to get in yet another senseless endless war in the Middle East with no clear cut goals or objectives while we are drawing down the Military. This is not going to end well.

Johnnyreb on September 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM

[libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM]

Is there a sequel to that wherein a point is made?

Dusty on September 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM

cozmo on September 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM

The new and improved White House updated and revised talking points must have arrived.

coldwarrior on September 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM

For libby

22044 on September 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM

you believed that the communists were a threat

They WEREN’T news to me…but please go on…I’m awaiting the pie charts and graphs to explain how it is you voted Obama in 2012.

JFKY on September 3, 2013 at 7:10 PM

But – Lib…. I think bishop etc. are making good points… you knew about Libya. You knew about amnesty and what it would do to American workers Black and White.

But you voted for Obama. You can be against Obama on Syria….but the thing is, you get what you vote for.

In a larger sense, this is the thing we always argue with you about – you are getting what you have voted for, and then try to balme it on everyone else.

oldroy on September 3, 2013 at 7:10 PM

This is the Bart Stupak plan for personal wealth. Pretend to oppose the President and then cave at the last minute to secure a lucrative lobbying job.

Flange on September 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM

StandDown,

oucharoo,Hopey will be shot down,like PM Cameron,then!
(sarc)

canopfor on September 3, 2013 at 7:15 PM

’99% of people on this site are putting the national security of the United States in grave danger just because you want to screw Obama…’

- mnjg on September 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM

How stupid is this mnjg fruck? Extremely stupid!!! You s/b sent to Syria, moron.

Schadenfreude on September 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Is there a sequel to that wherein a point is made?

Dusty on September 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Conservatism is for old people who believe what they are told to believe, and tomorrow belongs to the young and hip. Never trust anyone over thirty. It’s fun to get attention from RWM.

– Which cliche did you miss?

Axe on September 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM

– mnjg on September 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Syria has NOTHING to do with “national security”. Your head needs examining. Seek help, pronto.

Schadenfreude on September 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM

BREAKING:

Congress considers measure on military action in Syria
Syrian civil war

Jordan puts forces on high alert as Syrian strike looms – @AlArabiya_Eng

54 secs ago from english.alarabiya.net by editor

canopfor on September 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Dude, I’m 35 years old and can count on ONE FINGER the wars in which I believe the US played a proper role over the last 99 years…and, in that case, it was bombed by Japan and had war declared upon it by Germany FIRST.

You seem to think that I’m a Republican and want the GOP to vote against Obama to ‘hurt’ him. I have never been a Republican. I don’t want the US striking Syria for the reasons that I laid out in the link above which will bring you to a lengthy post on my blog. As for Obama, frankly, I care as much about him as I do Senator Senile, which is NOT ONE, SINGLE BIT.

Get this through your head:

We’ve been bailing out Muslims (on some sides) since the 1970s, at minimum, and it has earned us nothing but more hatred. I don’t give a damn about a bunch of members of misogynistic, racist, homophobic, bigoted, child-abusing, xenophobic, tribalistic, antisemitic, Christophobic, maniacal, thin-skinned, homicidal, suicidal, totalitarian, 7th century death cult.

If and when the Neanderthals decide they wish to join the rest of us in the 21st century, I will be more than happy to welcome them to modernity; otherwise, I am content to let them kill each other.

I felt this way before I ever heard of Barack Obama.

Resist We Much on September 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Schadenfreude on September 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Gently, gently that might be Meggie Mac or John McCain or one of his grand children…who knows?

JFKY on September 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM

*Tomorrow belongs to me, without the bloody pitch change.

Axe on September 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM

libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Generational riff? Maybe. But only because more young people are starting to see through their fanatical adulation. They, more than anyone else, have suffered the most for their Obama votes. How long do you think young people are going to give him to turn things around before their ADD kicks in? The natives are getting restless. This generation has no patience. They yell at microwaves to hurry up for Pete’s sake.

Obama’s legacy is one of hopeless failure. The CHANGE! has all been bad. Everything he has touched has fallen apart. His popularity is falling. His base is openly angry with him and his cronies on every leftist website you care to read. His enemy’s 11 year old kid mocks him mercilessly on FB and the “Red Line” points straight to hell. It would not surprise me in the least if he doesn’t succumb to some type of mental breakdown soon and if it happens it’s going to be a meltdown of epic proportions. He is not up to the job of being President. No amount of dancing on TV with Ellen was going to fix that.

HotAirian on September 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM

All who vote for this travesty and amnesty, out, out, out in 2014, incl. Boehner.

Schadenfreude on September 3, 2013 at 7:19 PM

JFKY on September 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Then their heads should all be sent to Syria.

Schadenfreude on September 3, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Ha.

You mean like “War on Women”, “Fair Share”, and that Obamacare needed to drastically change the health insurance options of 300 million people in order to protect 107,000 folks with pre-existing conditions?

Is that the sort of “broken free from that notion” you’re talking about?

rogerb on September 3, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Before my head allegedly ‘exploded’…

Democrats, War & Revisionist History

Resist We Much on September 3, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I felt this way before I ever heard of Barack Obama.

Resist We Much on September 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Likely, long after as well.

Bmore on September 3, 2013 at 7:21 PM

libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Racist sheep/slaver of HA on full display lectures against sheepledom…irony, oh irnony…

Schadenfreude on September 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM

BTW:

Again, congratulations on your direct support of this administration’s actions.

rogerb on June 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Congratulations on voting 3rd party so you would be able to say “I’m not responsible” on online forums. Meanwhile, intellectually serious people are working on how to oppose the rhetoric of permanent war. Do let us know when you’ve quit masturbating over your foresight in voting Constitution party and join the adult conversation.

libfreeordie on June 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Don’t blame others for your lack of conviction.

Remember when you had it, btw?

Please do not confuse the war mongering Democratic party with the American left. …

this is why I voted Green in 2000 and 2004.

libfreeordie on February 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM

February 2012.

Say, that was before the re-election, wasn’t it?

rogerb on June 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM

rogerb on September 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I felt this way before I ever heard of Barack Obama.

Resist We Much on September 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Resist We Much:

If I recall,Syria was under the umbrella of

AXIS OF EVIL!!

I too, could careless that the JihadyGoons are kill’n
the true-believer JihadyGoons!

Its the killin,of women and children,that annoys me!:)

canopfor on September 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Did anyone get mnjg to explain HOW US National Security was being endangered? My belief is that it’s endangered BY intervening….

I’m sorry you are so wrong about the US’ wars RWM, but we still like you.

JFKY on September 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Slave, you are so intoxicated with shit that not one brain cell is still functioning.

Schadenfreude on September 3, 2013 at 7:24 PM

MeanWhile,from the Cruz Command Centre:

Mediaite ‏@Mediaite 5m

Ted Cruz Warns on Syria: U.S. Military Shouldn’t ‘Serve as Al-Qaeda’s Air Force’ http://bit.ly/19gh48k (VIDEO)
==========

canopfor on September 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM

libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

So, put you down as, pro war?

Bmore on September 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM

libfreeordie, its a simple question. Yes or No would suffice. Preferable actually.

Bmore on September 3, 2013 at 7:30 PM

obama flies to…Sweden tonight…to mingle with the king…Kerry cancelled his meeting with the Russian counterpart…ahead of the G20…to take place…in Russia, in two days…the US threw out British intelligence dudes from Syria prep. meetings “because their parliament voted against us”.

Kindergarten on display, for the entire world, old and young.

Pity the children. These buffoons in the WH have ruined it for a few generations.

Like I say, often, “may he destroy all who brung/kept him”. World, you cheering sheeple, you soooooo deserve this creep, obama. He is now all yours. What schadenfreude!!!

Schadenfreude on September 3, 2013 at 7:31 PM

It’s all about “the Supreme Leader”, obama, as AP says.

Allah is in the house!

Schadenfreude on September 3, 2013 at 7:31 PM

this is why I voted Green in 2000 and 2004.

libfreeordie on February 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM

rogerb, he meant his pants.

Schadenfreude on September 3, 2013 at 7:32 PM

What we are seeing is a generational, not a partisan riffrift (and itsit’s causing partisan’spartisan like RWM et alsal heads to explode). Younger members of Congress are simply no longer going to buy into scaremongering developed under the Cold War when Americans just believed whatever BS the federal government fed them about our “national interests” and “security.” The irony of the fact that most older Americans are “conservative” is that most older conservatives are massively conformist. They grew up in a society where it didn’t matter *what* the government said, you believed that the communists were a threat and you believed *any time* the government told you that a certain war or conflict was about opposing communism.

libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Maybe he just doubts you because he’s picking up on the poor grammar from a supposed college professor …

But English is racist, right?

There Goes the Neighborhood on September 3, 2013 at 7:33 PM

To be fair I don’t blame CentCom for chucking out the Brit’s…You HAVE TO.

British officers FIRST allegiance is to Britain. A neutral Britain. So 1) they can’t be a party to any planning in Re; Syria, they have no remit to do so. And 2) any intelligence they acquire they are honour-bound to transmit to their government. Which could then use such intelligence to ITS ends…

So could we stop whining about what happened to the British, if Britain had decided to fight and not us, they’d have been quite smart and quite right to throw out any US Liaison Officers from their planning units.

JFKY on September 3, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Slave, the gay cake thread needs you.

Schadenfreude on September 3, 2013 at 7:36 PM

JFKY on September 3, 2013 at 7:34 PM

coldwarrior on September 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Tweets All / No replies

Reuters Top News ‏@Reuters 16m

Kerry opens door to ‘boots on ground’ in Syria, then slams it shut http://reut.rs/17Lom6H
===========================

Kerry opens door to ‘boots on ground’ in Syria, then slams it shut

WASHINGTON | Tue Sep 3, 2013 7:10pm EDT
*****************************************

canopfor on September 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM

JFKY on September 3, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Meh, just Friday obama said “the Brithish, our closest ally”.

Schadenfreude on September 3, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Yes or No would suffice.

Bmore on September 3, 2013 at 7:30 PM

libinbondage is back among others of his kind bragging about how he got the idiot righty’s all riled up again.

cozmo on September 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Is there a sequel to that wherein a point is made?

Dusty on September 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM

– Which cliche did you miss?

Axe on September 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM

He may have been waiting for the professor to give some reason to justify a belief that the new generation is better.

I don’t think it’s ever coming.

There Goes the Neighborhood on September 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM

The irony of the fact that most older Americans are “conservative” is that most older conservatives are massively conformist. They grew up in a society where it didn’t matter *what* the government said, you believed that the communists were a threat…

libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Really? Writing this from a campus, you dare talk about conformity? Impervious to irony, arent you?

Valkyriepundit on September 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM

There Goes the Neighborhood on September 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM

That old school. We new school.

Axe on September 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Meh, just Friday obama said “the Brithish, our closest ally”.

Schadenfreude on September 3, 2013 at 7:38 PM

HA, mere words, we have the FRAINCH on our side now…at a minimum they should be able to taunt those Syrian animal food trough waterers…so I say “Feh,” on the British.

JFKY on September 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM

MeanWhile,at the Rice Ranch:

Congress considers measure on military action in Syria
Syrian civil war

National Security Advisor Susan Rice says administration ‘quite confident’ Congress will OK Syria action – @NBCNews

7 mins ago from usnews.nbcnews.com by editor
================================================

canopfor on September 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Valkyriepundit on September 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Whattya mean they are all very different on campus, I mean they ALL voted…oh wait that won’t go the way it should will it..any way campus’ are very very different…

JFKY on September 3, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Feh on obama, who doesn’t know what “friendship” means.

He only knows himself and his muzzie brothers.

Schadenfreude on September 3, 2013 at 7:47 PM

The fact that Waffles, of all people, has ended up in the Colin Powell role of war salesman here is so ironic that the whole thing seems a touch surreal to me, like a “Twilight Zone” twist to repay all the liberals who posed as anti-war circa 2004 but who were really just anti-Bush and anti-GOP. All we need now is Joe Wilson making the case for intervention on the Sunday shows and we’ll be set.

Allah’s in the house

Schadenfreude on September 3, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Libya left in lawlessness and ruin.

Schadenfreude on September 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Libya left in lawlessness and ruin.

Schadenfreude on September 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Obama and Senator Senile want to bestow the same gift on the Syrians that they did on the Libyans.

Resist We Much on September 3, 2013 at 7:54 PM

MeanWhile…………………………………the Lefty Protesters are confused,
as in no Syrian Protest!!!

Photo: LGBT supporters prepare to protest in from of Russian consular’s home in Seattle – @ElisaHahnK5

16 mins ago from twitter.com/ElisaHahnK5 by editor
======================================================

canopfor on September 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM

canopfor on September 3, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Operation CYA

I hope the House votes no and leaves Obama twisting in the wind. I can just see this as the beginning of WW3 if that dolt strikes Syria and thinks he can run the war.

gracie on September 3, 2013 at 8:02 PM

WW3 if that dolt strikes Syria and thinks he can run the war.

gracie on September 3, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Obama is BRILLIANT, he’s smarter than his policy directors and a better speech writer than his flacks…I trust he is just a brilliant at this…he will astound you!

JFKY on September 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM

canopfor on September 3, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Russian consul’s home? Oh, the Seattle FSB Residentura? The one targeting Microsoft and Boeing.

coldwarrior on September 3, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Libya left in lawlessness and ruin.

Schadenfreude on September 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Resist We Much on September 3, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Funny that the proggies still attack President George W. Bush for “not having a post-victory plan” in Iraq and Afghanistan isn’t it?

slickwillie2001 on September 3, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Drat. For a moment there, I thot the headline said “Oboobi must step down” :(

AH_C on September 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM

BREAKING:

Tweets All / No replies

The Associated Press ‏@AP 2m

BREAKING: New Syria resolution in Senate puts 90-day limit on US military action.

===================

canopfor on September 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM

So, put you down as, pro war?

Bmore on September 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Bmore on September 3, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I am absolutely anti-war. As rogerb’s quotes of my previous posts indicate.

libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM

slickwillie2001 on September 3, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Want a shitload of laughs? Read this (for old time’s sake):

Hypocrisy Alert! Clinton, Kerry, Gore & Other Democrats Talk About Saddam’s WMD BEFORE AND AFTER Bush Is President and Call for War Against Iraq

Resist We Much on September 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Bishop on September 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Since there was no distinction between Romney and Obama on foreign policy, my vote was for the lesser of two evils on domestic policy. It really is that simple.

libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Absolutely anti-war, just not enough to vote against it.

rogerb on September 3, 2013 at 8:35 PM

===================

canopfor on September 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Wow that’s brave.

Murphy9 on September 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM

libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Gay marriage > war.

How whimsical.

rogerb on September 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM

It’s official then…Chris Van Hollen knows they have the votes.

– mnjg

I’m guessing you believe Guam is in danger of tipping over too.

xblade on September 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Gay marriage > war.

How whimsical.

rogerb on September 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM

A man’s gotta have his priorities straight, sorry about that…any way, gay marriage>war, of COURSE, after all a “war” is way over there, and I’m not involved and no one I know is involved and any way it’s the MILITARY and they are all anti-gay big0ts so them dying is perfectly OK…

JFKY on September 3, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Special report: We all thought Libya had moved on – it has, but into lawlessness and ruin

Libya has plunged unnoticed into its worst political and economic crisis since the defeat of Gaddafi

Resist We Much on September 3, 2013 at 8:44 PM

rogerb on September 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM

They wear cluelessnes as a badge of honor?

coldwarrior on September 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM

libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Gay marriage > war.

How whimsical.

rogerb on September 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM

They wear cluelessnes as a badge of honor?

coldwarrior on September 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM

It’s comical when you realize exactly what was admitted:

I’m anti-war, anti-cronyism, anti-hegemony, and anti-structural-racism, and I voted accordingly when I was younger and not such a conformist, but these days I’ll willingly accept and knowingly support with my vote(s) the thousands of deaths, the associated massive waste of money that could be spent domestically, and the further corruption of our political body because I want gay marriage.

Neat, isn’t it?

rogerb on September 3, 2013 at 9:10 PM

libfreeordie on September 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Just making sure I didn’t misunderstand.

Bmore on September 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM

How bout we get a shitload of transparency and call Kerry back to the Committee to Val-splane the meaning of “scrubbed, and re-scrubbed evidence”.

No? No takers?

Key West Reader on September 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM

At least John Kerry spoke truth.

Good on him.

Key West Reader on September 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM

At least John Kerry spoke truth.

Good on him.

Key West Reader on September 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Which time?

Resist We Much on September 3, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Which time?

Resist We Much on September 3, 2013 at 9:48 PM

The day after never of course. Did you NOT notice that Terezza Heinz Kerry was seated behind him today? She looked like she was wanting to bitch slap his face… but alas.. She was “restrained”.

/ Remarkably, actually… if you watched her appearance.

Key West Reader on September 3, 2013 at 9:54 PM

[rogerb on September 3, 2013 at 7:20 PM]

Nicely done, Rogerb. Nicely done.

Dusty on September 3, 2013 at 10:02 PM