Maryland nabs the Baltimore Ravens to help promote ObamaCare

posted at 10:01 pm on September 3, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

As Ed phrased it earlier this summer, the NFL decided to punt on helping the Obama administration with their desperate bid shore up support for and promote heck out of the Patient “Protection” and “Affordable” Care Act to the American public, the better to convince people to sign up through the newly-created exchanges en masse — but the NFL’s big pass evidently didn’t deter ObamaCare supporters from looking for help from individual teams. Much like California, Maryland has been working overtime on behalf of the president’s crowning legislative achievement, and it sounds like they finally convinced their local football team to help them out. Via the WSJ:

Maryland health officials announced Tuesday that they will partner with the Baltimore Ravens football team this fall to help spread the word about the state’s health insurance marketplace that will allow consumers to shop for health insurance starting in October.

The partnership with the two-time Super Bowl champions is part of a broader campaign unveiled on Tuesday to market  Maryland Health Connection that will allow consumers to shop for health insurance or sign up for Medicaid if they qualify. The Obama administration had been hoping to partner with the National Football League to promote its signature health law, also known as Obamacare, but the league balked after some Republican lawmakers issued a warning to sports organizations to avoid the issue.

However, the Baltimore Ravens have previously been involved in promoting Maryland health efforts including a 2008 expansion of Medicaid. Research conducted for the state suggests 71% of uninsured people watched, attended or listened to a Baltimore Ravens game in the past 12 months. About 800,000,or 14% of the state’s population of 5.8 million, is uninsured. The state is also partnering with the drug-store chain CVS Inc. and regional grocery store Giant Food, a unit of Ahold NV.

Maryland and the thirteen other states (and DC) that volunteered to fully run their own insurance exchanges sans federal government collaboration are really ramping up their advertising efforts with less than a month to go until the grand opening. Marketing via football games is kind of an ideal plan — they reach a wide and economically diverse audience, and the season coincides pretty nicely with start of the ObamaCare open enrollment period — and goodness knows ObamaCare is going to need all the help it can get.

Comments

Wow. Somehow I can hate the Ravens even more.

22044 on September 3, 2013 at 10:02 PM

…that sucks!

KOOLAID2 on September 3, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Another reason to hate the Ravens. Yes!

SouthernGent on September 3, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Isn’t the Raven a symbol of death? If it’s not now, it will be.

VorDaj on September 3, 2013 at 10:02 PM

“Symbol of Death

Ravens were messengers of death, pestilence, and battle. It was believed that these flesh-hungry birds could smell the scent of death upon a person before they died – even through the walls of a house. In paintings, the raven may be seen flying over battlefields, eager to feast on the dead. After the Battle of Armageddon, ravens will descend upon the lands of the wicked. [Isa 34:11].”

VorDaj on September 3, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Believe they call this an “end run”?

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 3, 2013 at 10:06 PM

What do you expect from a worthless bunch of Commies. Western Maryland has it right. Get the hell out of Moscow on the Patapsco.

Happy Nomad on September 3, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Oh nice…….more multi-millionaires now going to tell us how nice our HopeyCare is going to be for us little people.
I bet they wished they could qualify for this downgraded medical ins plan. Darn.
A country of hypocrites is what we have become.

FlaMurph on September 3, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Another reason why I only watch college football.

patman77 on September 3, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Thus quoth the Raven:

“Uninsured”…

JohnGalt23 on September 3, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Isn’t the Raven a symbol of death? If it’s not now, it will be.

VorDaj on September 3, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Quoth the raven, Death panels are awesome!

Happy Nomad on September 3, 2013 at 10:09 PM

A great many football players aren’t even sure who they are half of the time as a direct result of getting their bell rung for a paycheck and the drugs they take to alleviate the severe pain caused from numerous injuries, some stemming all the way back to high school.

While these guys might know the game they play inside out, I’m not sure how sound the advice on medical insurance from such an individual might be.

thatsafactjack on September 3, 2013 at 10:09 PM

They’re going to have to hand out ObamaPhones if they want people here to enroll.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on September 3, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Steelers.

Baltimore is a crap dump of a city, I know because I have relatives who live there and the place is a crap dump. Maybe Maryland should work on decreasing the number of shiftless bums crowding the streets and the gangs making life hell in Baltimore.

Bishop on September 3, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Old Hotness: Ray Lewis
New Hotness: Death Panels

blammm on September 3, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I hope this curses the Ravens, as seems to happen to any sports team that the REB endorses.

slickwillie2001 on September 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM

The Ravens… Nevermore!

Patriot Vet on September 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Jeebus….. them Insurance companies sure got a sweet deal…..

forced new customers and da GubRmint pick’n up the market’n costs.

Good Thing Barry was look’n out for da lil guy

roflmmfao

donabernathy on September 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Last week: $775M settlement from the league for concussions ($170K per player)

This week: Let me advise you on your choice of medical insurance.

thatsafactjack on September 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM

New name: Baltimore Death Panels

22044 on September 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM

JohnGalt23 on September 3, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Pretty good.

smoothsailing on September 3, 2013 at 10:14 PM

The NFL heyday has ended.

Nexialist on September 3, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I am no longer a Ravens fan.

WannabeAnglican on September 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Hey, where’s DRayRaven?

22044 on September 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM

The owner of the Ravens is a big time liberal zealot so no surprise here.

Raquel Pinkbullet on September 3, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I only check out the NFL to see what new, imaginative ways the NY Jets can find to fall on their face.

teacherman on September 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM

And on another note, I don’t think there is a player in the NFL I hate more than Joe Flacco.

Raquel Pinkbullet on September 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Old Hotness: Ray Lewis
New Hotness: Death Panels

blammm on September 3, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Well, Ray Lewis was pretty much a 1 man death panel…

SouthernGent on September 3, 2013 at 10:28 PM

What’s next — training children to pimp for PlaceboCare?

Oh, wait!

ShainS on September 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM

The owner of the Ravens is a big time liberal zealot so no surprise here.

Raquel Pinkbullet on September 3, 2013 at 10:25 PM

That’s a shame. Always disliked the organization but thought Bisciotti was a level-headed guy. He made his money as an entrepreneur, I believe.

22044 on September 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM

What’s next — training children to pimp for PlaceboCare?

Oh, wait!

ShainS on September 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Mmmm mmmm mmmm!

22044 on September 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Well, Ray Lewis was pretty much a 1 man death panel…

SouthernGent on September 3, 2013 at 10:28 PM

When the BarkyCare panels get up and running he might have himself a new career.

Bishop on September 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Baltimore Cravens.

Does BarkyCare cover their steroids? Just wonderin’ …

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on September 3, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Obamacare, too late for Ray Lewis’s victims.

Ward Cleaver on September 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Another reason why I only watch college football.

College football is the biggest scam of all. The Leftist networks present this celebration of All American apple pie, with blond cheerleaders and marching bands. The schools and the networks rake in millions of dollars, and where does the money go? The schools use their share to build new wings for Queer Studies, while the networks use their share to hire more reporters to dig through Sarah Palin’s garbage can.

The macho coaches don’t dare say a word about any of the anti-Americanism that infects these campuses. What did the great coach K (yes, I know that’s basketball, not football) have to say about the Duke lacrosse fiasco? Nothing, nada, not a word. They keep their mouths shut and collect their multi-million dollar paychecks.

ardenenoch on September 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Another reason why I only watch college football.

ardenenoch on September 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Perfect. Maybe Ray The Blade will weigh in.

Bmore on September 3, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I don’t even listen to football players selling sports drinks or shoes, and those are things they might know something about.

Flange on September 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Then there was the Penn State fiasco. Tell me that was an isolated thing.

Won’t even go into the crimes, the boozing and the dope.

Yes, I know most of them are decent young people. But how both college and pro sports organization get away with sanctioning the thugs year in and year out is beyond me.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 3, 2013 at 10:45 PM

The owner of the Ravens is a big time liberal zealot so no surprise here.

Raquel Pinkbullet on September 3, 2013 at 10:25 PM

He and Martin O’Malley probably deserve each other.

PatriotGal2257 on September 3, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I’m an ardent Ravens fan and this pisses me off to no end!

ManWithNoName on September 3, 2013 at 11:16 PM

This is All Bill Bellicheat’s Fault!

Back to our irregular programming.

Del Dolemonte on September 3, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Well, Ray Lewis was pretty much a 1 man death panel…

SouthernGent on September 3, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I really wish people would learn the facts regarding that case. The ignorance of the average (read: stupid) fan gets tiring to correct. I guess its just easier calling him a “murderer” than to actually learn/know what happened…

ManWithNoName on September 3, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Edgar Allen Poe for governor!!!
Who’s with me?
At least he can’t sign the stupid laws that come from this
gerrymandered-state government!

shorebird on September 3, 2013 at 11:55 PM

The Ravens organization, giving 60%+ of Americans yet another reason to NOT support them.

I never really had any problem with the Ravens as a team, until now. From now on, the Ravens won’t get one cent of my hard-earned money. If I have to stop supporting the NFL because they all “spread the wealth around”, so be it.

Meople on September 4, 2013 at 12:24 AM

It doesn’t mean much anyway really. Once ObamaScare is fully entrenched in everyone’s lives, Football, along with every other contact sport will be banned anyway because its too large of a hazard to your health.

Don’t believe me? Its already begun.

Meople on September 4, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Wow, I’m going to drop my health care plan and join up because football players recommend it, haha.

Dollayo on September 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM

So much for the Ravens

MTF on September 4, 2013 at 2:18 AM

I don’t follow football or any other professional sport.

Thanks for giving me another reason not to.

Jack Deth on September 4, 2013 at 6:03 AM

I’m glad I stopped watching the WWE…oops, I mean the NFL…last year.

DRayRaven on September 4, 2013 at 6:15 AM

Hey, where’s DRayRaven?

22044 on September 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Um, right here.
Goodell actually turned me off NFL football last year, after having been a fan my entire adult life.

And the year I stop watching it, the Ravens finally go to the Super Bowl again. So, I turn on the TV and try to forget about the ridiculous, sanctimonious fines, the pink uniforms, the political correctness, the overall crass money-grubbing, and the officiating that gets suspiciously worse once the playoffs begin…only to see the lights go off in the Super Dome when the Ravens return a kickoff for a touchdown and start running away with it.

Toss in my favorite team betraying the country by promoting Obamacare, and I’m officially done with NFL football.

And don’t tell me about the purity of college football. Not with colleges like Penn State turning a blind eye to an ex-coach using team facilities to rape children so they can keep the football money machine rolling. And not with the corrupt, hypocritical NCAA overseeing the whole thing.

At least baseball is TRYING to clean up its act (finally). I’ll stick with that.

DRayRaven on September 4, 2013 at 6:25 AM

What about the Washington R-words?

mjbrooks3 on September 4, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Well , Ray Lewis was pretty much a 1 man death panel…

SouthernGent on September 3, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I believe it was a “2 man death panel” if memory serves me right.

Capitalist Infidel on September 4, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Attended? An NFL game is a pricey affair. I wonder how many of those uninsured people have season tickets? Wasn’t one of the drivers for Obamacare was that people couldn’t afford health insurance?

ConservativeinCO on September 4, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Obama is trying to get as many pro (or former pro) athletes as possible to promote Obamacare…

Earvin Magic Johnson ‏@MagicJohnson 29 Aug
There was great information and strategy that was laid out in the meeting today at the White House with Pres. Obama!

ITguy on September 4, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Not watching the Ravens anymore, anymore.

TerryW on September 4, 2013 at 8:15 AM

You could buy insurance with the money it takes to prop up the rent seeking garbage that is today’s pro sports.

MNHawk on September 4, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Raquel Pinkbullet on September 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Michael Vick is much more loathsome.

It takes a very sick, mentally disturbed person to do what he did to innocent animals.

I mean, I eat meat just like anyone else, but that doesn’t mean that animals should be tortured, maimed and terrorized before they’re killed.

UltimateBob on September 4, 2013 at 11:04 AM

OK…they want to advocate for Obamacare…fine…let’s boycott the games and call the sponsors.

Carolynr on September 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM