Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on August 31, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

“I am strongly pro-life and I am not pro-gay marriage,” Cheney wrote. “I believe the issue of marriage must be decided by the states, and by the people in the states, not by judges and not even by legislators, but by the people themselves.”

The statement, Cheney’s campaign said, was in response to reports a “push poll” in Wyoming was asking voters if they were aware Cheney “supports abortion and aggressively promotes gay marriage.”

“The people of Wyoming deserve an honest campaign,” Cheney said. “They should not be subject to the kind of dirty tricks this push poll represents.”

Cheney, who chairs a nonprofit on national security and education called Keep America Safe, is challenging Wyoming Republican Sen. Mike Enzi for his seat.

Enzi’s spokesman denied they were behind the poll.

***

Mary Cheney, the younger sister of Liz Cheney, a Wyoming Senate candidate, sharply criticized her sister’s stance on same-sex marriage and urged her own Facebook friends to share the message.

Posting on Facebook on Friday evening, Mary Cheney, who is gay and married her longtime partner last year, wrote: “For the record, I love my sister, but she is dead wrong on the issue of marriage.”

Their father, former Vice President Dick Cheney, supports same-sex marriage, and the younger Cheney echoed some of his language on the issue when she added, “Freedom means freedom for everyone.”

“That means that all families — regardless of how they look or how they are made — all families are entitled to the same rights, privileges and protections as every other,” Mary Cheney wrote.

Earlier Friday, Liz Cheney revealed her position on same-sex marriage, a topic she has kept relatively quiet about since declaring her candidacy in July against incumbent Senator Mike Enzi, Republican of Wyoming.

***

“Neither Mike Enzi’s campaign, nor anyone affiliated with his campaign, has conducted any polls in Wyoming,” spokesman Coy Knobel said in an email. “He would never support a push-poll, or tolerate anyone working for him who conducted one. For Liz Cheney to assert otherwise, without any proof whatsoever, shows more about her campaign than Mike Enzi’s.”

Knobel added: “Mike Enzi prefers to focus on traveling around the state and talking to people one-on-one. That tells him what he needs to know about what Wyoming people are thinking.”

UPDATE II: A Cheney campaign spokeswoman responds to the Enzi campaign’s statement to TheDC:

“This is an evasive answer,” spokeswoman Kara Ahern told TheDC. “Senator Enzi should instruct any entity, including the NRSC, doing polling on his behalf to stop this type of dirty tricks.”

***

***

The NRSC is also not polling in Wyoming, a spokesman said.

”With all due respect, it looks like Liz Cheney is fishing without a license again,” NRSC spokesman Brad Dayspring said.

***

As Wyoming Senate hopeful Liz Cheney rejected support for same-same marriage, Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is taking her support one step further

Meanwhile, ties of friendship are enough for Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. She will become the first Supreme Court Justice to officiate a same-sex wedding.

She’s scheduled to preside over the Saturday nuptials of her friends, Kennedy Center President Michael M. Kaiser and economist John Roberts (no relation to the Supreme Court Chief Justice) in Washington, D.C.

“I think it will be one more statement that people who love each other and want to live together should be able to enjoy the blessings and the strife in the marriage relationship,” Ginsburg said, according to The Washington Post.

The 80-year-old, who recently said she has no plans to retire from the bench, also booked another wedding in September.

In June, Ginsburg was in the majority which ruled to strike down the Defense of Marriage Act and reinstated a lower court’s ruling, deeming California’s Prop 8 unconstitutional–a sweeping victory for LGBT rights and marriage equality.

***

Yesterday, Republican Senate Candidate Liz Cheney called on Senator Mike Enzi to commit to return his taxpayer-funded ObamaCare subsidy to the U.S. Treasury and to convince his Senate colleagues to do so, as well.

Tuesday Cheney called on Senator Mike Enzi and other elected officials to renounce special treatment that they will now receive under ObamaCare…

According to the Casper Star-Tribune, Enzi’s camp responded that he doesn’t support special treatment for lawmakers. And yesterday, in an interview, Enzi answered Cheney by saying he’s been trying to defund and dismantle ObamaCare since 2009 and will continue to do so.

It’s hard not to notice that Enzi failed to commit to return his special ObamaCare subsidy that is not available to his constituents…

Cheney has also launched an online petition, No More Special Deals for Congress. It urges Senator Mike Enzi and the other elected federal officials to renounce the special deal that members of Congress and their staffs are now getting under ObamaCare. The petition can be accessed here.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Black Cat Bones – “Death Valley Blues”

Anti-Control on September 1, 2013 at 1:38 AM

RIO

Murphy9 on September 1, 2013 at 1:42 AM

“This menace must be confronted. But having made my decision as commander-in-chief, I am also mindful that I am president of the world’s oldest constitutional democracy.”

The president of the USA, the supposed ‘constitutional scholar’ is an idiot.

Schadenfreude on September 1, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Schadenfreude on September 1, 2013 at 1:36 AM

My simple story should be enough to warm that heart, I’d say.
It is simple and true. Sammy is sitting in my lap as I type.

Home is where the heart is. If I’ve done nothing, ever, Sammy knows a home.
That’s how it is.

There is a certain joy about life.

mickytx on September 1, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Why is his topic used for the “quotes of the day”?

Obviously this is being brought up to try to embarrass Liz Cheney.

This is such nonsense.

Sad to see Republicans buy into the left’s smear that to support traditional marriage means one is “hateful.”

Good for Liz. Hope she wins!

bluegill on September 1, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Axe loves cats. Just Sophie doesn’t.

Schadenfreude on September 1, 2013 at 1:36 AM

My life has gotten so weird.

Axe on September 1, 2013 at 1:45 AM

mickytx on September 1, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Sammy is a lucky cat and so are you.

Schadenfreude on September 1, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Good for Liz. Hope she wins!

bluegill on September 1, 2013 at 1:45 AM

She’s basically a carpetbagger – I hope she doesn’t!

Anti-Control on September 1, 2013 at 1:46 AM

bluegill, at the end of last night’s QotD folks left you info to your question, fyi.

Schadenfreude on September 1, 2013 at 1:46 AM

My life has gotten so weird.

Axe on September 1, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Just btw. us, you can always tell her that you love her, and she’s a “cat” :)

Schadenfreude on September 1, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Never give up. Never give in. Never a ne’er do well.

Seems to me, being who one is might be plenty.

mickytx on September 1, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Axe?
Sophie.

mickytx on September 1, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Okay, enough for me. Thanks for the antagonism, Schad.
The endless list….
See you all over the weekend. Safely.
Sammy sends ‘paws up’ and that’s not altogether bad.
Heh.
;D

mickytx on September 1, 2013 at 1:54 AM

☺/
/▌
/ \

Murphy9 on September 1, 2013 at 1:54 AM

From the album, “Wild Cat”:

Tygers Of Pan Tang – “Wild Catz”

\m/

Anti-Control on September 1, 2013 at 1:55 AM

☺/
/▌
/ \

Murphy9 on September 1, 2013 at 1:54 AM

I can see that one! lol

I see that I need to add a font to my system for the other one. Are you on Linux by any chance?

Anti-Control on September 1, 2013 at 1:59 AM

I can see that one! lol

Anti-Control on September 1, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Nope, Win 7 and opera.

I used to be on ubuntu, but this is a gaming machine.

Murphy9 on September 1, 2013 at 2:04 AM

cptacek on September 1, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Reading the back quotes, got so into me and me and kitteh and me…
Sorry for that.

cptacek, read it like the Bible alive in our lives. And, don’t stop there. Persuade friends and foes alike.
Facts are very sturdy. Don’t feel obliged not to contact me. SWIDT ;D

It is a perfect time to change a lot of minds, the unthinking types, for sure.
Get’em tiger.

mickytx on September 1, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Nope, Win 7 and opera.

I used to be on ubuntu, but this is a gaming machine.

Murphy9 on September 1, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Hmmm.

I just did some more research since my last post – I realize I might have something else going on besides a “missing font” issue…

Pete Townshend – “Cat’s in the Cupboard”

Anti-Control on September 1, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Waving to Murphy9 and AC. Howdy.
Will I know when you are in control?
Anti is good, save that eventually you have to be pro something, me thinks.

mickytx on September 1, 2013 at 2:13 AM

mickytx on September 1, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Nite mickytx and Sammy

Nite all.

Schadenfreude on September 1, 2013 at 2:13 AM

S

chadenfreude on September 1, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Thanks for pulling me out of my shell. Long weekend so pace yourself. ‘gnite and God bless.

mickytx on September 1, 2013 at 2:14 AM

I’ll pull that S back in to something tomorrow. Sorry, lazy on my part.

mickytx on September 1, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Waving to Murphy9 and AC. Howdy.

Hello.

Will I know when you are in control?

Maybe… :)

Anti is good, save that eventually you have to be pro something, me thinks.

mickytx on September 1, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Oh?

45 Grave – “Anti Anti Anti”

Face to Face – “I’m Popeye (the Sailor Man)”

Anti-Control on September 1, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Carpetbagger isn’t getting my vote.

Russ86 on September 1, 2013 at 2:33 AM

A picture is worth a thousand words:

FloatingRock on September 1, 2013 at 2:35 AM

A picture is worth a thousand words:

FloatingRock on September 1, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Wired that out.

Axe on September 1, 2013 at 2:46 AM

A picture is worth a thousand words:

FloatingRock on September 1, 2013 at 2:35 AM

I agree.

When it comes to 0dumba, this path is guaranteed, as predictable as death and taxes!

The Humpers – “Do the Wrong Thing”

Anti-Control on September 1, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Axe on September 1, 2013 at 2:46 AM

There’s a thought provoking comment in the thread over at Zero Hedge:

the real battle is between opec (saudi arabia) and the new natural gas cartel (syria/russia/gazprom) whose pipeline is going through syria to get to european markets

If Saudi Arabia has a problem selling their oil, instead of starting a war using our military, (and their Al Qaeda forces), they should try lowering their price.

One nice thing about the war in Syria is that the link between Saudi Arabia and Al Qaeda is now plain for all who are paying attention to see, and especially if we point it out to them.

FloatingRock on September 1, 2013 at 3:24 AM

Schadenfreude on September 1, 2013 at 1:46 AM

I will go check now. I already forgot what I asked. Thanks!

bluegill on September 1, 2013 at 4:11 AM

Beautiful! You go girl!

They get away with it because we let them. It’s as simple as that.

JellyToast on September 1, 2013 at 8:00 AM

HA’s PointnClick has a superb blog.

Please check it out…bookmark for now…but don’t ignore. It offers more wisdom than most put together.

Schadenfreude on September 1, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I don’t even know what to say to this… Wisdom…? Me…? The ho wrangler…?

PointnClick on September 1, 2013 at 8:29 AM

HA’s PointnClick has a superb blog.

Schadenfreude on September 1, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I don’t even know what to say to this… Wisdom…? Me…? The ho wrangler…?

PointnClick on September 1, 2013 at 8:29 AM

…yep!

I will go check now. I already forgot what I asked. Thanks!

bluegill on September 1, 2013 at 4:11 AM

…no surprise there!

KOOLAID2 on September 1, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Bless Sabbath, Patriots! …and Trolls. “So we’re bombing Syria because Syria is bombing Syria? And I’m the idiot?” – Sarah Palin
My take: “The Syria Situation: “For, I Have Promises to Keep”…”

kingsjester on September 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Apologies for bugging out last evening. Bears. I had to deal with two that are being pests.

Bmore on September 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM

For some reason I cannot stand this woman.

Amjean on September 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM

For some reason I can’t stand the NRSC! The latest enemy of conservatism!

redware on September 1, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I will go check now. I already forgot what I asked. Thanks!

bluegill on September 1, 2013 at 4:11 AM

People asked for you to go get one million volts run thru your thick head.

Murphy9 on September 1, 2013 at 10:13 AM

☺/
/▌
/ \

Murphy9 on September 1, 2013 at 1:54 AM

How in the blessed hang do you do that ?
signed: Sheer Jealousy

listens2glenn on September 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Are American Indians offended that we have named so many weapons after Indian weapons or tribes? Two come to mind right away, the Apache helicopter and the now famous Tomahawk cruise missile. Go Redskins!

SC.Charlie on September 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Apache helicopter and the now famous Tomahawk cruise missile. Go Redskins!

SC.Charlie on September 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM

…very good point!

KOOLAID2 on September 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Speaking of “family affairs.”

Akzed on September 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM

That liz pic looks rather Vader-esque.

Liz: I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Punchenko on September 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Unless you’re home or private schoolers or religious. Tell ya what Mary, get rid of “hate crime laws” along with affirmative action laws and maybe I’ll take your argument seriously about so called equality.

oryguncon on September 1, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I don’t even know what to say to this… Wisdom…? Me…? The ho wrangler…?

PointnClick on September 1, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Yes, indeed.

Schadenfreude on September 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Cheney is right to distance herself from gay-marriage conformity. We are sick of hearing about the low-priority issue of recognizing gay lifestyle choices.

She should also avoid dragging her family into the political campaign. Just because a politician has a gay family member gives them no special insight into the issue. They can be as wrong as the next guy.

virgo on September 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM