Workers set to strike fast food restaurants for higher wages

posted at 4:51 pm on August 29, 2013 by Bruce McQuain

This will be the 2nd attempt by fast food workers to increase their pay:

Organizers say thousands of fast-food workers are set to stage walkouts in dozens of cities around the country Thursday, part of a push to get chains such as McDonald’s, Taco Bell and Wendy’s to pay workers higher wages.

It’s expected be the largest nationwide strike by fast-food workers, according to organizers. The biggest effort so far was over the summer when about 2,200 of the nation’s millions of fast-food workers staged a one-day strike in seven cities.

Thursday’s planned walkouts follow a series of strikes that began last November in New York City, then spread to cities including Chicago, Detroit and Seattle. Workers say they want $15 an hour, which would be about $31,000 a year for full-time employees. That’s more than double the federal minimum wage, which many fast food workers make, of $7.25 an hour, or $15,000 a year.

Why not $20 an hour? Or $100?  Real compensation is and always has been tied to the value of the work that is done.  Except when government or unions get involved.  If you ever wonder where our manufacturing jobs went, you might want to query those two entities.  In essence they’ve priced many an industry out of business with wage demands that exceed the value of the work.

The drive for higher wages isn’t something new.  But the realization that some work is only worth a certain amount of money to employers seems to be eternally so.  There is always a portion of the population that never seems to understand that.  And right now, because of the economy, it’s a buyer’s market in terms of labor.  So to say this is an ill-timed endeavor is to utter an understatement.

Additionally, a nation-wide movement among fast food workers isn’t likely to have the effect they think it might have.  Most fast food restaurants are franchises:

McDonald’s Corp. and Burger King Worldwide Inc. say that they don’t make decisions about pay for the independent franchisees that operate the majority of their U.S. restaurants.

And for those restaurants they do own?

For the restaurants it does own, McDonald’s said in a statement that pay starts at minimum wage but the range goes higher, depending on the employee’s position and experience level. It said that raising entry-level wages would mean higher overall costs, which could result in higher prices on menus.

“That would potentially have a negative impact on employment and business growth in our restaurants, as well as value for our customers,” the company said in a statement.

It’s fast food, folks.  It’s a business model that has as one of its principal pillars the provision of less expensive food delivered quickly.  Note the words … “less expensive food”.  Any idea what effect doubled wages would have on cost?

And what do you see when you walk into most of them?  Young people:

The National Restaurant Association says the low wages reflect the fact that most fast-food workers tend to be younger and have little work experience. Scott DeFife, a spokesman for the group, says that doubling wages would hurt job creation, noting that fast-food chains are already facing higher costs for ingredients, as well as new regulations that will require them to pay more in health care costs.

Where is that increase in cost likely to lead?  In some cases to automation.  Replacement of workers by machines.  And that means fewer jobs.

Fast food joints are entities that provide entry level jobs.  They’re experience builders. As McDonalds says, you start at a certain wage and as you perform, your wages increase. Most fast food workers use their jobs as stepping stones to higher paying, higher skilled jobs.   With this movement we have a group saying “no, we want higher wages now, whether or not we’re worth it,  or have earned it, or it wrecks your business”.  And it surely would.

Of course there are the those who support movements like this but again, their support is mostly based in emotion and not reality.  It’s the old Wal-Mart argument in a sense.  People will argue that Wal-Mart is bad because it drives mom and pop businesses out of business.  But when asked if they’re willing to pay the higher prices those local business must charge for the same goods in order to turn a profit and stay in business, the answer is inevitably “no”.

While many will claim to back the drive for fast food workers to double their wages, they’ll likely to be the first to complain when they’re faced with paying for a $9 Quarter Pounder.

~McQ

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Yeah, but then In and Out Burger is the Gordon Ramsay of of the fast foods :)…

jimver on August 29, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Seriously, you need to check out Whattaburger and Chick-fil-a.

We’ve got a new outfit called Smashburger, too. Now, that place is frikken awesome.

trigon on August 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Boy howdy will they be surprised if amnesty passes.

Bishop on August 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM

All you have to do is disseminate one stupid comment such as that amongst those parasites and it becomes gospel.
Lanceman on August 29, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Quick, someone hop over to Daily Kos or HP and tell them that cat turds actually taste like Kobe Beef and also reduce one’s carbon foot-print…

CaptFlood on August 29, 2013 at 6:07 PM

In non-union states like NC, “going on strike” translates to “giving my job to someone else who will be glad to have it.” No unions here, moron and yur “strike” is grounds for dismissal.

PJ Emeritus on August 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I’m sure this ridiculous strike was timed to be the day after the Democrat Party rally yesterday in D.C….I mean, the MLK speech ceremony.

They have really shamed MLK. Gimme, gimme, gimme! And don’t let any Republicans come to the MLK party!

I’m still burning that W wasn’t invited as a former president and Bubba the Sex Kitten and 2nd Worst President Ever were!

PattyJ on August 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Fast food joints are entities that provide entry level jobs.

Right, not “bread winner” level jobs.

Boy howdy will they be surprised if amnesty passes.

Bishop on August 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM

You said it.

Who in their right mind expects to be able to live on what they earn at Micky D’s?

dogsoldier on August 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM

PattyJ on August 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I read the W got invited but he was dealing with recovery from surgery…

dogsoldier on August 29, 2013 at 6:16 PM

dogsoldier on August 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM

If you need more money, get a job that pays it. No one is forced to work at McD’s.

I’m betting it’s the unions that want in more than anything else here. Think about all those potential union dues. They’ll aim high for a salary demand, and probably have every intention of “settling for less” as if they gave up something.

JetBoy on August 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM

obama has convinced these idiots that they are owed something more than what they have earned – every one of them should be fired immediately.

Pork-Chop on August 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Seriously, you need to check out Whattaburger and Chick-fil-a.

trigon on August 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Smashburger is by far the best burger around.. I get the Spicy Baja with no Guac. Pure frickin’ heaven!

preallocated on August 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Seriously, you need to check out Whattaburger and Chick-fil-a.

trigon on August 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM

preallocated on August 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Five Guys is another good one.

slickwillie2001 on August 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM

If you want a good laugh, go to the Fox Business Site. The head line is, and I quote –”Fast Food Workers Protest Higher Wages.” I might expect this from Hot Air, but Fox has all those layers of fact checkers and editors. By the way, the “workers, soon to be ex-workers, weren’t protesting high wages, but a lack therof. If the Fox Business Channel has any integrity, they should introduce their intern/headline writer/editor to the joys of fast food employment. “How would you like your hamburger, sir?” I gill give you a link in my next post.

Old Country Boy on August 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM

The laws of economics are in force even in the liberal utopia of San Francisco.

Let’s learn from San Francisco’s experience with increasing the minimum wage.

The minimum wage in San Francisco is already $10.55.

Does a higher minimum wage increase costs for cutomers? Yup.

During the $5 Footlong sandwich promotion at Subway, $5 Footlongs cost $5.50 in San Francisco.

Does a higher minimum wage increase the incentive for businesses to find ways to avoid hiring employees? Yup.

The Melt, a San Francisco sandwich shop that specializes in grilled cheese sandwiches uses software to allow customers to enter their order on their cell phone and then when they arrive at the shop they scan their phone, watch their order appear on a screen above, and have their lunch automatically charged to their credit card with a receipt sent by email. The only employee required in the shop is the Cook (and perhaps 1 assistant). This is sure to become a hot trend at fast food restaurants in a neighborhood near you soon.

Order now, pick up anywhere

Place your order, get the code and scan it in-store. We won’t make your melt till you arrive, so it’s fresh when you get it.

Be careful what you wish for, Liberals.

wren on August 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I’ve seen Smashburgers popping up around here. Thanks for the tip. :)

wolly4321 on August 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Fox Business -

Old Country Boy on August 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I have an actual sit-down restaurant near me that serves something like 20 varieties of 1/2 pound burgers, cooked to order, with fries for $7.99. Last time I went to McD’s a Quarter Pounder with cheese and fries with a drink was $7.26 – no brainer for me.

(Not to mention the STR has 46 beers on tap and about 60 more in bottles and cans)

Boy HOWDY!!!

PJ Emeritus on August 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I think Subway finally cancelled the $5 footlong when the ingredients finally got too expensive. Now they’re shilling a $4 lunch. Which would surely leave me still hungry.

22044 on August 29, 2013 at 6:39 PM

dogsoldier on August 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Well I don’t know how right his mind is (actually I do) but apparently this guy does.

Oldnuke on August 29, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I’m a lanscaper in Tucson. I deal with cactus, poisonous plants, scorpians, rattlesnakes, hela monsters, javelina, rugged terrain, excessive heat, gas powered cutting equipment, mesquite trees with 3″ long thorns, killer bees….

And I don’t make $15/hour.

On top of that,, when I do order a burger, it NEVER looks like the picture on the menu.

wolly4321 on August 29, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I can fix a bacon cheeseburger and french fries in my kitchen in about 10 minutes. Better than any burger in any restaurant and cheaper by far. I don’t have to drive anywhere or press 1 for English. Go ahead and strike.

Oldnuke on August 29, 2013 at 6:45 PM

wolly4321 on August 29, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Damn guy! Who do you landscape for, the Addams Family? :-)

Oldnuke on August 29, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I’d look into cooking home burgers again if they got too expensive at restaurants.

If the SEIU wasn’t behind this, I’d wonder if Bubba Burger was.

22044 on August 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I said it in the headline thread. I’m a full time teacher and I don’t make $15 an hour. Who’s job is more difficult? Mine, teaching middle school students in an inner city school, or there’s pressing buttons.

philoquin on August 29, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Workers set to strike fast food restaurants for higher wages

Personally, I hate restaurants in general. From what I’ve seen a good bit of the staff are drunks, drug addicts and wise a– twenty-somethings, I’ve never seen a truly clean restaurant, they overcharge (for soft drinks to be sure) and the food is always over-hyped, not that good, and forgettable.

I still remember when I got dragged into a local restaurant that was one of these talk of the town places. I ordered filet Mignon and asked for A-1 steak sauce. Yuppie waiter looked at me like we had been magically transported to a fine restaurant on the Champs Elysee. Yes, Champ, it’s bland and A-1 will make it palatable. Yeah, it’s that important. LOL

When I worked in the hotel industry I couldn’t believe how greasy and filthy the restaurants were and the cooks always looked scummy.

I won’t even go into my disdain for fast food joints. Total waste of money in my book.

As far as I’m concerned, LIB.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 29, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Fire. Every. Single. One. who doesn’t show up to work. Shist can ‘em. There are plenty of others who would appreciate the job.

SteveThomas on August 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Oldnuke- lol.

I forgot bobcats, tarantulas, and clients with mean dogs.

It’s a living.

No pity for pimple faced “entitled” slouches. I work hard for my money.

So far I’ve been lucky. One scorpian sting, and one bee attack. Hate the bees. Too many to shoot. Carry a .22 with shotshell for snake. Little North American Arms 5 shot revolver.

Damned kids wouldn’t last a day with me out here.

wolly4321 on August 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Since they can’t even make change without the register (you know, that machine with the pictograms on it) telling them the amount to return, couldn’t we just tell them they are making fifteen dollars per hour?
M240H on August 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Heh heh.

Cleombrotus on August 29, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Damned kids wouldn’t last a day with me out here.

wolly4321 on August 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Some would. I’ve had a tree service doing work for me for the last three days. Young guy owns the business had three other guys helping. Had to drop three BIG trees without breaking anything. Had to rope them off and drop them in sections because a bucket truck wouldn’t fit. One guy did all the high work. It was hard backbreaking work. That guy was up in a tree using spike climbers and swinging a chain saw for two full days. Almost without a break. Had the stumps ground out and a few other trees trimmed and topped. Guy was looking for work and people started coming out of the woodwork. Had good rates, licensed and insured too…AND every one of them spoke English with a Virginia accent. People have been contracting him all week here at my house. I guess the word got around.

Oldnuke on August 29, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Oldnuke- point taken.

But I would love to take one of those striking to work for a day. They are a different breed. They feel owed. Dropping the spatula and dragging logs instead would do them some good.

wolly4321 on August 29, 2013 at 7:35 PM

The head line is, and I quote –”Fast Food Workers Protest Higher Wages.”

Old Country Boy on August 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Looks like it’s been fixed. The link on the main page now says “Fast-Food Workers Seek Higher Wages” and the article headline is “Fast-Food Workers Protesting for Higher Wages”.

malclave on August 29, 2013 at 7:40 PM

the problem isn’t wages it’s Obama and the fed’s inflation. Yeah they say what inflation. Qe3 is destroying purchasing power for the lower classes and middle class. So there is a large pent up demand for more purchasing power hence the push for higher wages or to increase min wage. The problem is that unemployment is still very high and the part time jobs starting to come online isn’t enough to increase purchasing power. thus for the companies to keep their record profits they must keep a lid on wages.

It’s all going to fall apart soon. Just watch gasoline prices and when we hit $4.00 again the bottom falls out….. again. It’s almost like the powers that be studied the 1930′s and said you know what that wasn’t a depression we can make a real depression just watch….

unseen on August 29, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Here’s some straight-up old school/new school talk for you idiots:

I don’t eat ‘fast food’ very often, but any business that meets your demands will go the same way that GM did with me.

GM took taxpayer dollars and it will never get another dollar of choice from me as long as I live – though I must admit, I’ve never been a GM type of girl.

Same goes for Chrysler.

Same goes for McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, KFC, etc, etc, etc.

Fast-food jobs are ENTRY-LEVEL jobs. They are not meant to support a family. If you want a better job and the lifestyle that it will allow you to afford, keep your pants on, don’t go birthin’ no babies, stay in school, lose the tats and the dreds, and SPEAK PROPER ENGLISH.

The last time that I went through a drive-thru, I swear, I couldn’t understand a word the bytch said…and she thinks she’s worth $15?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

In this economy, she is extremely expendable and can easily be replaced with someone with proper business experience and an education (No, not a Jeantelian 3.0).

PS: As Paul Krugman wrote on page 210 in - Macroeconomics, 2nd ed.:

‘The actions of labor unions can have effects similar to those of minimum wages, leading to structural unemployment.’

Resist We Much on August 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I think the NYT today reported on this and quotes a fast food worker who has been at her same job for…get this…nine years. Nine. The earth traveled around the sun nine times and this stellar human wants more pay just,well, just because. And she wants $15 an hour to boot. So when I sacrificed my weekends studying and going to the library getting an education, perhaps she was out and about not taking advantage of her free education. Ten to one it took her nine years to graduate from high school, was pregnant before she finished and is a single mom multiple times. I’d love to see them get $15 an hour for a week then lose her job to automation. These people are as simple as the day is long.

stop2think on August 29, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Photo: Minimum-wage protestors march in Seattle, shouting slogans like ‘SuperSize my salary now!’ – @cmcampbell6

33 secs ago from twitter.com/cmcampbell6 by editor
======================================================

canopfor on August 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM

33 secs ago from twitter.com/cmcampbell6 by editor
======================================================

canopfor on August 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Maybe, if they ‘SlenderSize their asses first!’

Resist We Much on August 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM

SuperSize Your IQs, Morons!

Resist We Much on August 29, 2013 at 8:01 PM

They should be FIRED after they strike.

Then hire someone else.

TX-96 on August 29, 2013 at 8:19 PM

RWM- public schools.

wolly4321 on August 29, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Back to hiring HS kids. You strike, you lose your job. Striking only works when you are not replaceable.

TfromV on August 29, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Ooooh boy. One of three things will happen here:

1. This will fail hard for the strikers and the whole movement will fall apart.
2. This will fall apart, but not before creating a serious ripple effect for the employers who lose millions of dollars in business.
3. The strikers will turn to threats and violence when it becomes evident that they can be easily replaced; possibility of things going large-scale.

Striking only works when you are not replaceable.

TfromV on August 29, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Especially not when the manager can fudge the paperwork and employ six illegals to run the shop who’ll work for half of min-wage.

And I bet you think I’m kidding.

MelonCollie on August 29, 2013 at 8:27 PM

canopfor on August 29, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Maybe, if they ‘SlenderSize their asses first!’

Resist We Much on August 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Resist We Much:Lol,…OverLoad’ed Gluteus Maximus/minimus!———:0

canopfor on August 29, 2013 at 8:36 PM

The ‘Fast Food Strike’ is a demonstration of and testimony to the successful government / liberal ‘programming’ and ‘brainwashing’ of Americans AND their success in destroying businesses and jobs through record-setting intrusive regulations and job/business destroying Laws/Legislation!

Once upon a time, before such massive record-setting intrusive regulations and job/business destroying Laws/Legislation existed, Fast Food businesses like McDonalds were run using PART-TIME jobs because those positions we TEMPORARY positions filled by high school kids trying to earn money, college kids working their way through school, or young adults on their way to finding REAL jobs, career-type jobs/careers. McDonalds, Burger King, etc were NOT…were NEVER MEANT TO BE…’careers. 85% at least of those jobs were TEMP jobs filled by kids/young adults, NOT by older Americans trying to make a living and/or feeding/supporting entire families! Unemployment for young black adults/teens is 24% – perhaps that is partly because MOM or DAD is working that job at McDonalds now because there aren’t any ‘adult jobs – careers – to be had these days. There are MILLIONS of those type jobs that no longer exist today compared to how many there were just 5 years ago. A huge reason for that is the mile-long list of new oppressive regulations and job/business-destroying laws like Obamacare.

Immediately after Obamacare, for example, was signed, Obama got busy handing out waivers to businesses to prevent them from laying off workers. McDonalds, in fact, was the 1st to receive a waiver after warning Obama the mandates in Obamacare would cause them to fire a lot of their workers. Obama handed out a LOT of waivers to BIG businesses, but Small businesses were forced to adhere to the mandates. Obama promised that Obamacare would help the MIDDLE and LOWER classes, would give them healthcare,lower insurance, and they could keep their jobs and current insurance. Instead, many Americans lost both insurance and jobs, many small businesses closed and with them their jobs, and millions of jobs across the country disappeared. BIG , in order to adapt to the Obamacare mandates, let many workers go, began converting FULL-time jobs into PART-time jobs, and began cutting their workers’ hours back…while dropping health care coverage for many of their workers.

Just as Obama promised in 2007, he has changed America. Even Democrats are now on record as saying for the 1st time ever that Americans can no longer achieve the American Dream, and in large part because their government has destroyed millions of jobs, Americans are having to SETTLE for PART-TIME jobs, and their government is telling them everything is great while bragging about how many ‘jobs are being created’. Yeah, a lot of TEMP, Part-Time jobs are being created but not enough jobs and certainly not enough of the RIGHT type of jobs. Instead of demanding privately-owned Fast Food businesses adapt to this new paradigm by paying a FULL-time wage for a PART-time position they should be demanding an end to the oppressive, intrusive mountain of regulation and an end to business/job-destroying laws! They SHOULD be telling the government to ‘stop helping’ and get out of the way.

Finally, if you think all these regulations and laws that just so happen to be destroying jobs, keeping the economy & job production to a crawl and are reducing Americans’ ability to make a decent wage at a good full-time job, it is time to wake up. Liberals like Harry Reid are no longer trying to hide their true agenda. Reid recently admitted Obamacare was never about providing health care or cheaper insurance. It was never about making our lives better. As Reid declared, Obamacare was always about overwhelming the greatest health care system in the world and forcing Americans into a single-payer health care system. It strips Americans of more choice, freedom, and power while growing and empowering the government to make choices for us. It also has the Liberal benefit, as we have seen, of destroying millions of jobs, reducing the jobs Americans can get, and increasing the number of Americans dependent on government Social Programs and hand-outs. The government’s job is to protect our rights and give every American the OPPORTUNITY to succeed and prosper. All of these regulations and job/business-killing laws our ‘servants of the people’ have continued to pile upon us, however, is stripping us of that opportunity. Several Washington Democratic Party politicians recently opined that Americans can no longer achieve the American Dream, in large part due to what Washington has imposed upon them.

I would urge these protesting workers NOT to ‘settle’ for these TEMP, part time jobs, for the idea that these are the best they can do and accept them as their ‘careers’. No matter what, strive for more…and demand more from a government that is NOT helping but who is continuing to enslave us through greed, partisanship, and massive intrusive, oppressive business/job-destroying regulations and laws.

easyt65 on August 29, 2013 at 8:39 PM

And why would anyone give this idiocy a national stage? TownHall answers… Why for links and traffic of course. Now look at a autoplaying video ad while you hit the X on that pop up window.

Kaptain Amerika on August 29, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Supposedly one ff place in Lubbock went walkies-but nothing came up when I googled it.
I make $8.65 hr. I’m paid fairly-and in my produce job I do a hades of a lot more than most fast food yahoos. Those eejits need to get a grip.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM

TfromV on August 29, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I agree, but I think we will find that the ‘strikers’ were really hired protesters and greedy-union goons from the SEIU, probably being paid by their real employers to do ‘union work’ in the MacDonalds parking lot.

slickwillie2001 on August 29, 2013 at 10:58 PM

It’s all backwards. The burden to provide a living wage beyond the value of the work itself should not fall upon the employers but upon the government that wishes to institute minimum/living wages.

Ultimately, it is the consumer who sets wages by setting the market price of the product or service. Every business at start-up has to look at what people are willing to pay for its product or service, and then subtract input costs in order to see how much money is left for wages and profit. If not enough profit then the business, and the jobs, will not exist. If wages are less than minimum allowed, then the business will not exist.

If the government provided a living wage guarantee to workers to fill the gap between their wage and the set living wage, then any job that can be done legally in the US would, in short order, be done in the US, because wages could be set based solely on profitability/viability of the business. Even jobs scared off by the cost of regulation would come back, their regulatory burden coming out of the wage pool, for which the government would have to make up in order for the employee to get the living wage.

The key here is that such a living wage guarantee would completely replace welfare. ONLY workers who are citizens or legal immigrants with jobs would get government bennies. Lose your job and you lose your benefits. Come here illegally and you get the piddly base salary and nothing more. Given the disincentive to being idle and/or illegal and the addition of 20+ million jobs that companies could afford to create and still make money, we’d have full employment in no time at all.

shuzilla on August 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Shuzilla have you lost your mind? Now the government is going to provide a living wage guarantee? With whose money?

The fast food market is very competitive. When restaurants who cannot compete at higher wage scales close their doors, jobs will disappear.

Oldflyer on August 29, 2013 at 11:50 PM

They are behind it in Houston today.They are salivating about unionizing fast fooders.What the “oppressed”workers don’t realize is that union dues will eat up any increase they get.Back to square one.

docflash on August 29, 2013 at 5:42 PM

For a one year period, two of my daughters worked at different grocery stores in our town. One worked at Kroger (which is union) and the other worked at Giant Eagle (which is NON-union). Turns out that the non-union store looked nicer inside, treated their employees better, provided extra perks for more incentives (such as empowering their employees to make decisions to take care of customer problems) and PAID THEM MORE!

Who knew… oh wait… pretty much every conservative…

Who is surprised… well that’s easy… pretty much every liberal…

dominigan on August 29, 2013 at 11:50 PM

preallocated on August 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Oooohhh… good to hear that! There’s one going in within walking distance from my house!

dominigan on August 29, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Seriously, you need to check out Whattaburger and Chick-fil-a.

trigon on August 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Try this one when you crave a real burger.

(Not even going to weigh in on the discussion about min-wage; everything has already been said.)

AesopFan on August 30, 2013 at 12:13 AM

LOL. $15/hour for flipping burgers. Entry level web developers get that. Note to these idiots: get off your lazy backsides, learn Ruby and CSS and you too could be legitimately earning $15/hour in an entry level job. Your skills just ain’t worth that right now.

Sharke on August 30, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I wonder how badly this flopped.

Sure, some locations in big cities will have a few walk out, egged on by union organizers, but even most kids understand what it means to walk off your job. You are saying “I quit!” and extending a middle finger to the boss.

Fire ‘em all, make a note on their record in case they try to reapply later on.

Adjoran on August 30, 2013 at 12:49 AM

CaptFlood on August 29, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Given the mentality of the Puffington Host and Kos Kids playground they’d probably have a recipes section for your suggestions up by midnight.

viking01 on August 30, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Why Wal-Mart won’t join in this silly game of “Let’s all punish the guy who gives us our job and our paycheck, and let’s try to hurt the business that funds our paycheck.”

And Obama, who owns the unions (or flip that) claims to be a unifier…

Don L on August 30, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Note to protesters: Don’t show up for work? Get fired. Markets set wages, not community organizers.

petefrt on August 30, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Another mob dumb and gullible enough to be stirred up by lefty agitators.

jangle12 on August 30, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Rush had a caller yesterday who wanted to advocate-no, that implies some intelligence in his attempt-clamor for increase in min wage.
Rush fed him lots and lots of rope and the caller wound every last foot around his own neck while Rush slowly eased him down-no neckbreaking trap door, and let him twist.
Then Rush, as few others can do, went on a brilliant, passionate defense of capitalism and the free-market.
If you have kids who can understand you should have them listen, it was wonderful.

questionmark on August 30, 2013 at 7:35 AM

higher wages drives increased automation.
Europe has some fantastically automated distribution centers and lead the world in the development of robotic material handling equipment. In contrast, our Latin American markets have very little automation and instead rely on lots of cheap manual labor.
Maybe Obama will give another speech decrying ATMs.
Charlemagne on August 29, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Looks like only about 3 people on this thread mentioned this notion.
That is the 1st thing I thought about. It’s already happening anyway.
As a small business owner with my husband of a trucking company & a ranch, there’s no way I would ever hire anyone to work for me other than temporary day work. I watch our farmer neighbors go through new hired men all the time. They are degenerates & fly by nights, most all are lazy as hell. And the wages are actually pretty good (at least the farmers I know pay a good wage with some benefits like a house, beef, run some share cows etc.).
Even cow milking has gone automated. Farming has as well. Automation is filling the need to avoid the poor work ethic employee, wage & govt demands that are too high & costly, not being able to find help, etc.

Oldnuke on August 29, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I used to do this same kind of work while going to college in the Seattle area in the mid-90s. People will pay for quality tree removal & landscaping work when they own multimillion dollar homes. The potential to do well is out there for manual labor.
But it is not easy work.

shuzilla on August 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM

The burden to provide a living wage is upon the INDIVIDUAL. This has nothing to do with any government entity, nor SHOULD it.
It’s thinking like this that has grown government everywhere in this country.

Badger40 on August 30, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Badger40 on August 30, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Yep to all your points. I run a manufacturing facility and can tell you that as health care and wages continue their never ending rise, more and more automation makes financial sense. That plus the boom of lower cost robotics means that more and more manufacturers will be adding more automation instead of new employees.

The second part of that is this: we pay way above minimum wage and I still have “kids” start their job and then start missing work in the first week. Or just quit because it’s too hot or manual labor is just too hard. Well, I’ve got news for the youts that think they should be making $20 and hour when they can’t spell, write, put together a sentence, or use critical thinking skills: you are not WORTH $20 an hour! The only reason you are worth hiring in the first place is that the market (right now) permits me to make a small profit off of the work you do.

Man I’m tires of high school kids thinking they deserve a high paying job “because.” Lesson one: you don’t “deserve” squat. If you think your WORTH something, then go out and get it!

And get off my damn lawn!

Free Indeed on August 30, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Oh and yes, I do eat at MCD’s multiple times a week and each time they manage to screw something up. Without fail. That should say everything needed about the “quality” and “value” of the average MCD’s worker.

Free Indeed on August 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Time to recycle my Modest Proposal ™ about doing a federal wage subsidy instead, funded by a national sales tax of 17% on all food items.

OMG U HATES DA POOR PEOPLES DEY WILL BE HURT DA WORST

… yeah, that’s kinda the point…

So stopped at my local McDs on the way home last night… no one picketing outside… pleasant faces inside… meal still tastes like the $2.59 I paid for it.

Not a bang, but a whimper. Like the attempt to blockade Chic-Fil-A.

The Schaef on August 30, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Fire them all

WashingtonsWake on August 30, 2013 at 9:32 AM

By all means, let’s have unskilled labor go on strike, when real unemployment is around 10%.

Do these people honestly think they can’t be replaced in less than 10 minutes?

Chris of Rights on August 30, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Update, here in Raleigh, on my drive home from work – I pass about 20 fast food places – Not ONE of which was closed (or even seemed slow in business) because of this strike.

Clue up, morons, or get used to collecting 80% of your minimum wage from the government you worship in unemplyment.

PJ Emeritus on August 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Badger40 on August 30, 2013 at 8:38 AM

That’s kind of obvious, but we’re not going to get rid of either minimum wage laws or welfare et al. Incramentalism. I think we can all agree that minimum wage laws are responsible for millions of jobs that could exist, not existing. I think we can also agree that welfare and other safety nets create the jobs that Americans won’t do by making not working them more satisfying.

I’m simply suggesting that we use money that is already going into such programs and give it only to those citizens and legal aliens who are working. No work, no bennies. Soon, Americans will be showing up at those worksites to take their jobs back from the illegal aliens in order to feed their families. Illegals will be crowded out. Soon, Detroit will come back as a manufacturing center. Inhabitants will be paid $3.50 for working on an assembly line for accompany that used to produce stuff in China. Government will make up the difference between their wages and the prescribed living wage, using money that used to go to people doing nothing.

People who can’t find work would assigned to farms to grow their own food and build their own shelters. That will empty the crime-ridden inner cities that are void of economic opportunity, and get people used to honest labor. I’d pay for that.

shuzilla on August 30, 2013 at 10:45 AM

What happens next?

The object of this demonstration is not to increase the minimum wage, but to unionize the fast food workers and collect the union dues. As the unions have forced increases in wages or slowdowns in production, the companies have been forced to automate more jobs or to move to offshore production.

I can foresee that the fast food industries will end up having their burgers made in China, flash frozen, shipped to the USA and then thrown into a microwave by a single remaining minimum wage ‘cook’ while you are getting your soda from the fountain.

Uniblogger on August 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Uniblogger on August 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM

It’s coming. Mechanization and robotics are only held back by cheap labor.

Robot Serves up to 340 Hamburgers Per Hour

slickwillie2001 on August 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM

shuzilla on August 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Thats a load of horshit. See Detroit. Flipping burgers is not a job worth even $7.25 an hour. That work is not “bread winner” work.

There is no value beyond the value of the work. We all decide what something is worth and most of us will not pay more, nor should we.

When government forces that, people opt out, go around or find some other way.

Robot burger stands! Coming soon.

With Zero employees, Zero wages, Zero Healthcare.

Gee thats a whole lotta Oh.

dogsoldier on August 30, 2013 at 11:22 AM

As far as I can see, the local fast food restaurants are able to fill all their open positions at the wages they are offering. If they were having issues, they would offer more money. In fact, the last time I saw a sign at the McD’s by my home, they were offering more than min wage. I hear the the McD’s in Minot, North Dakota is offering more than $10 per hour and having difficulty in filling the jobs. Must be a local labor market, economic boom thing…..

MTinMN on August 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Okay, W was invited. But Tim Scott wasn’t. Grr….

PattyJ on August 30, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I’m as conservative as most people, and I don’t see anything wrong with this.

Labamigo on August 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM

If wages force menu prices up, you’ll see a death spiral. Nobody is going to pay more than the current rate for cardboard food.

ElectricPhase on August 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM

It’s basically a proxy fight ..

Should you be able to support yourself and possible a family if you have no skills?

For me such a question is ludicrous. For those on strike, it’s a resounding “of course.”

NoVAHockey on August 30, 2013 at 12:56 PM

If fast food workers really believe (as opposed to think it would be a nice thing) they are entitled to say $15 an hour, then they should quit the jobs they have with those pikers who only pay say minimum wage and go look for that job that will pay them what they believe they are worth.

Better yet, go START and RUN a fast food business paying $15 an hour as starting pay to new employees and make it work.

Russ808 on August 30, 2013 at 2:12 PM

People actually eat that stuff? Let them have their $15 an hour…no one will pay that much for “food” of that quality.

Scotty J on August 30, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I, too, prefer the self checkout at grocery stores.

Just wait until next week when obaka gives the unions waivers to obakacare…union rolls will predictably increase.

ladyingray on August 30, 2013 at 6:44 PM