Poll: Americans still generally confused about ObamaCare

posted at 12:41 pm on August 28, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

The headlining ObamaCare-related numbers from the latest edition of the Kaiser Family Foundation’s August tracking poll are the law’s continuing lack of popularity, holding fairly steady with about 42 percent of Americans holding an unfavorable opinion and 37 percent having a favorable one, and yet the lack of support for the defund-ObamaCare movement. A full 57 percent would disapprove of defunding the law, including about 1 in 3 Republicans, with just 36 percent approving of the idea (although, 44 percent still aren’t even sure if ObamaCare is/remains law, so… yeah).

Demonstrative of the Obama administration’s personal challenge, however, is that a majority of Americans remain confused about ObamaCare and how it is going to impact them, courtesy of the WSJ:

Two big numbers to think about today: There are 33 days until open-enrollment season for insurance coverage under the new health law begins, and 51% of Americans say they don’t understand how it will affect them or their family, according to the latest tracking poll from the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation.

That proportion is higher among the uninsured, the mid-August poll found. Some 62% of the uninsured say they don’t have enough information about the health law, which aims to extend coverage to millions of them through new insurance marketplaces and subsidies towards the cost of premiums.

These numbers have been relatively steady over time. That represents a big challenge to the Obama administration on the eve of the Oct. 1 launch of the president’s signature domestic initiative, especially since more than four in 10 Americans are still uncertain whether the law passed in 2010 is actually in place.

This is one of the biggest endeavors for the Obama administration, because getting the law off the ground means getting people to begin participating on the double — and it doesn’t sound like all of the time and money they’ve diverted toward ‘explaining’ the law to people and getting the word out are having much effect, with barely a month to go until kickoff. Perhaps the worst tidbit for them from this section of the poll, 62 percent of adults ages 18 — 25 remain confused about the law, and they need to get young, healthy people in their 30′s and younger with relatively few health care costs to balance out the more expensive insurance pools into which they’re being shuffled. That’s why so much of the administration’s outreach and advertising efforts have been focused on young people, and probably the reason we’ll be seeing more things like this in short order:

Comments

There shall in that time be rumors of things going astray, and there shall be a great confusion as to where things really are, and nobody will really know where lieth those little things with the sort of raffia-work base, that has an attachment. At that time, a friend shall lose his friend’s hammer, and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o’clock.

Flange on August 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Well, heck, San Fran Nan said we’d have to pass it first before we could know what was in it…

Been how long, now?

Guess some folks just read slow.

Here’s the jist of it, as my downtown bruthers would say:

It is all just a lot of words tellin’ us po’ folk that we get free stuff.

Telling rich folk, they got to pay for it.

Telling the Middle Class to go boink themselves.

What’s to be confused about?

coldwarrior on August 28, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Whats not to understand? Single Payer Is The Goal.

Bmore on August 28, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Fired up! and ready to g.….er…wait a sec.

ted c on August 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Flange on August 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Well said. Well said, indeed.

coldwarrior on August 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Americans HHS still generally confused about ObamaCare

antipc on August 28, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Nah, not confused. PO’d, yes.

We can say no. It’s really ok to refuse.

dogsoldier on August 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Suckers!!!

/US Congress

tommer74 on August 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM

HHS still generally confused about ObamaCare

antipc on August 28, 2013 at 12:51 PM

And so it will remain. Its better we all remained confused.

hawkeye54 on August 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I have a question about the law:

Could an insurance company continue to offer true insurance, aka major medical, aka high-deductable catastrophic coverage.

In which case, might it be cheaper for someone to buy that *and* pay the Obamacare penalty?

But can those policies continue to legally exist?

HakerA on August 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Poll: Americans still generally confused about ObamaCare

Alternate lede: Americans still generally stupid.

You don’t have to be a “rocket surgeon” to figure out that this is a bad deal.

Happy Nomad on August 28, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Hey! I call copyright violation on the pic, that’s the cover for the next “Dumb and Dumber” movie; I’ll be notifying the DOJ.

Bishop on August 28, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I went to the link on Precious’ tweet. You have to give them all kinds of info and create an account before you see any prices. Surprise! BTW, they are advertising a “catastrophic plan”. Is this new?

txhsmom on August 28, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Oh and the icon at healthcare.gov website is…an Obama circle. I want to puke at this administrations propaganda.

txhsmom on August 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM

It is all just a lot of words tellin’ us po’ folk that we get free stuff.

Telling rich folk, they got to pay for it.

Telling the Middle Class to go boink themselves.

What’s to be confused about?

coldwarrior on August 28, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Thank you.

Most comprehensive, yet cogent explanation to date.

NOMOBO on August 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I have a question about the law:

But can those policies continue to legally exist?

HakerA on August 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM

My understanding is that those plans would soon be illegal. However, the government insurance site is offering a catastrophic plan. They are constantly changing the law to fit their whims of the day, so who knows.

txhsmom on August 28, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I have a question about the law:

But can those policies continue to legally exist?

HakerA on August 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM

What do you need catastrophic coverage for? You can just sign up when you’re sick or injured in the hospital. Thanks for the coverage of “pre-existing conditions”, Obama!

blammm on August 28, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I am enjoying being a minority as I am one of few who have opted out of Ocrapacare and enrolled with a Christian healthcare sharing ministry, which is exempt from this debacle.

hillsoftx on August 28, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Basically, its comply with whatever we are instructed to do, shut up and live with it. We don’t need to know and that is that.

The law is living and ever evolving to meet the current needs of our overlords. If we don’t know what the law is currently it gives them leverage and we dare not step over the line and break it, not even aware of where that line even is, lest we be subject to punishment.

hawkeye54 on August 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Bill Clinton, the new “Obama’care’ Secretary of Propaganda” will un-confuse you.

Schadenfreude on August 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Serious question:

When are we allowed to jump into an as-needed insurance plan? Can I drop my coverage in 33 days or do I need to wait until January?

rogerb on August 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM

If every American had to go through the VA’s Medical Department, this crap of a bill would cease and decease tomorrow.

DDay on August 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM

hawkeye54 on August 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Ignorance of the law is no excuse…

I heard that a number of times when caught in speed traps in Podunk.

But, this?

Next we’ll be learning that if we do not comply the IRS can seize property, garnish wages, tap into our bank accounts…make us pay in livestock and grain, our daughters, if we don’t have cash…and the Sheriff, the High Sheriff Holder, mind you, can send his minions to carry out the demands of King John Barry, and terrorize the good folk of Nottingham America…for it is the King’s Law…and only the King’s Law truly matters…

Time to gear up and head to Sherwood…

coldwarrior on August 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM

What I entered was our info following graduation from college…almost 20 years ago–2 adults, both age 24, non-smokers, and making $40,000/year. Kaiser Calculator

Household income in 2014:
258% of poverty level
Unsubsidized annual health insurance premium in 2014:
$6,036
Maximum % of income you have to pay for the non-tobacco premium, if eligible for a subsidy:
8.28%
Amount you pay for the premium:
$3,312 per year
(which equals 8.28% of your household income and covers 55% of the overall premium)
You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to:
$2,725
(which covers 45% of the overall premium)

Children and young adults under age 30 are eligible to purchase catastrophic coverage. With a catastrophic plan, you would pay out-of-pocket for most health services until you reach the annual limit on cost sharing ($12,700 in 2014). However, preventive services are covered with no cost sharing required.

txhsmom on August 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM

rogerb on August 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Under Obamacare the only thing you can drop is…dead.

coldwarrior on August 28, 2013 at 1:20 PM

hillsoftx on August 28, 2013 at 1:10 PM

If our insurance goes up another 40% this fall, we are joining you.

txhsmom on August 28, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I have a Dream….

That one day all my medical needs will be paid for by someone else.

That one day all the white folks will be made to feel guilty enough that they will willingly pay Trillions of dollars in reparations (through Welfare).

That one day, death panels will send whitey to his early grave.

That one day 25 million black babies will be killed in the womb after the SCOTUS legalizes it.

That one day major cities will be in bankrupt ruins after all those rich white folks abandons the crime ridden inner cities.

Sounds like THIS dream is a reality.

PappyD61 on August 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM

rogerb on August 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Sorry about not getting you in touch with the one I mentioned. There was/is an unforeseen problem for her. Sorry I can’t explain on thread.

Bmore on August 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM

hillsoftx on August 28, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I became a member of the Violent Wing of Amish Society. I still get to use zippers and modern technology but other than that I’m all Amish, baby.

Bishop on August 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Ignorance of the law is no excuse…
I heard that a number of times when caught in speed traps in Podunk.

coldwarrior on August 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Unfortunately ignorance of the law is no excuse for us proles, but ignorance seems to be mandatory for those enforcing laws.

Flange on August 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM

they are going to be on the receiving end of the biggest Cloward-Piven bum rush they’ve ever imagined, and they will know they brought it on themselves…this might be a heck of a lot of fun if we play it right

for starters, everybody use a common Hispanic name when checking out the site and declare huge assets with no income

DanMan on August 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM

rogerb on August 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Under Obamacare the only thing you can drop is…dead.

coldwarrior on August 28, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Seriously, I should be able to save/make about $10K a year after investing what I was paying in premiums, and I’ll just jump back in when I need insurance.

The young Obama voters are definitely going to buy my grandchildren their first cars, and probably pay for most of my collector’s toy or vacation home.

rogerb on August 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Bmore on August 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Hey, Bmore. No problem. I’ve been researching quite a bit on my own. Cash looks like the way to go. I’m calling around to doctors explaining my plans, and it’s absolutely amazing how much cheaper it is when they don’t have to involve insurance or the government.

It’s usually about half price for basic stuff from what I’ve seen.

rogerb on August 28, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Nobody is getting “affordable coverage”. NOBODY.

People are getting comprehensive coverage, the high cost of which is masked by government subsidies, certain to repeat the raging success they had in subsidizing homeowner mortgages and college loans.

The Schaef on August 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM

txhsmom on August 28, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I expect that they have simply redefined what a ‘catastrophic plan’ is. The proggies never hesitate to simply redefine the meaning of words whenever it benefits the cause.

slickwillie2001 on August 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Americans still generally confused about ObamaCare EVERYTHING.

Edited for accuracy and generic usage.

LegendHasIt on August 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Has anybody anywhere compiled a list of the number of people who, so far, have lost the insurance they had, even tho they liked it, and those whose premiums have increased, etc.?

Where’s RWM, she probably has a handle on this, but I’ve gotten the impression that she’s under the weather.

She’s missed.

questionmark on August 28, 2013 at 1:53 PM

questionmark on August 28, 2013 at 1:53 PM

We were promised we could keep our doctors and plan and that it wouldn’t cost us one dime more. No lesser an official than the President promised us this. He gave us his word.

To suggest that it isn’t true is nothing but racism because you want to see this President fail.

Happy Nomad on August 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Happy Nomad on August 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Obama reminded the pair that it was important for everyone to sign up for Obamacare on healthcare.gov.

“We were just talking with some folks earlier about the fact that, for a lot of people, it will be cheaper than your cell phone bill,” Obama explained.

Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States.

rogerb on August 28, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States.

rogerb on August 28, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I’ve been playing with that Kaiser calculator. You have to make less than $20,000/year for it to be cheaper than a cell phone bill.

txhsmom on August 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM

McCain wants a “conversation” about the future of the Republican party.

Signing here to support Lee and Cruz in their effort to defund might give that Arizona Democrat a hint that selling out to the likes of Obama and Schumer is not the way we want to go.

(Any Republican who’s cheered when he walks in to a Democratic Senate caucus meeting should play no role in that conversation.)

EastofEden on August 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Over three years after it was passed we still don’t know what’s in it. Does anyone, really?

Seems Sebelius and Dear Leader can make a lot of it up as they go.

farsighted on August 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM

We are not confused, just didn’t need it, didn’t want it, so they gave it to us anyway. Written in secrecy, voted on without reading, or letting we citizens review it for 30 days, and only passed with Democratic votes. Shame on all who voted for it. Be ready for voters revenge in the med-terms.

Amazingoly on August 28, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Stupid twenty-something: I don’t have health insurance.I can afford maybe $50 bucks a month.

Katy Perry: Sign up for affordable health insurance on Oct. 1!

Stupid twenty-something: Oh, okay! …. Wait, it says I have to pay $200 a month, I can’t afford that.

Katy Perry: I can, why can’t you?

alwaysfiredup on August 28, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I’d say I’m shocked, I tell ya’, just shocked that there’s confusion over Oblundercare but I found something even more shocking when I mentioned the term “Obamacare” to a beyond 20-or-30-something co-worker today who responded that she had never heard the term–and my rather large workplace is not located in the sticks.

stukinIL4now on August 28, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Actually, most Americans are confused about almost everything.

rplat on August 28, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Get OUT Of my doctors office you jackasses!

TX-96 on August 28, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I don’t get the part of the poll that shows more people don’t like it but more people don’t want to defund it at the same time. Do they have another plan to rid the land of this monster or is the question worded as if we defund it, what will replace it or do you want the govt to be shutdown to defund it? That sounds even worse. People are convinced that if the govt shuts down, grandma won’t get her check and fire fighters will be laid off. This is the best reason not to trust polls.

Kissmygrits on August 29, 2013 at 8:46 AM