Bill Clinton: Voting should be as easy as buying an “assault weapon”

posted at 4:21 pm on August 28, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Have we reached consensus on voter-ID?  At this afternoon’s rally in honor of the 50th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr’s “I Have a Dream” speech, former President Bill Clinton waggled his finger once again and zinged gun-rights activists, saying that voting should not be harder to do than buying an “assault weapon.” Since those purchases require a picture ID and usually a five-day waiting period, most gun-rights and voter-ID supporters would probably agree (video via Twitchy):

Katie Pavlich pounced:

Actually, it wasn’t clear that Clinton meant this as an argument to voter-ID, but then again, it’s not clear what he meant.  He started off complaining about the Supreme Court’s decision to strike down Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act, which put a few states and other jurisdictions in a special class requiring preclearance of voting law changes because of past racial discrimination.  He then launched into a meandering list of people who were inconvenienced because states have supposedly made it harder to vote — negating his point entirely about race — and ignoring entirely the fact that most if not all of those states have expanded voting through mail-in ballots, and weeks of early voting days.

Besides, as the Supreme Court noted, the fact is that the Section 4 states have achieved parity in voter registration over the 40 years between the VRA’s 1964 passage and the 2004 election:

scotus-vra-chart

Clinton also ignores the fact that the court only struck down the preclearance formula from 50 years ago, not the entire VRA.  The Department of Justice can sue states under Section 2, only now it has to prove discrimination rather than forcing a few states to prove their innocence in order to exercise their sovereignty.  To the extent that his argument is cogent at all, it’s demagogic nonsense.

National Journal also manages to get the issue incorrect in its report on Clinton’s jab:

The states “made it harder for African-Americans and Hispanics and students and the elderly and the infirm and poor working folks to vote. What do you know? They showed up, stood in line for hours, and voted anyway, so obviously we don’t need any kind of law,” Clinton said with heavy sarcasm.

“But a great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon,” he declared.

The assault-weapon mention is a barb aimed at antigun control groups that successfully blocked Obama’s proposal to require background checks before buying certain assault weapons.

Actually, they did no such thing.  The question wasn’t about background checks for certain types of rifles; it was whether background checks should be expanded to private sales and transfers of all firearms.  All retail sales of firearms, including mail order, still require a background check (unless precleared by a carry permit in some states, including MN) and a government-issued photo ID.  If Clinton wants to support that kind of system for voting, eliminating same-day registration and requiring voters to positively identify themselves, then maybe he can offer a more coherent endorsement.

Update: My friend Father Z cites the relevant statutes.  And man, I still can taste those pastries in Vatican City on the feast day of St. Joseph… (h/t Lisa Graas)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Don’t forget proving you’re not a felon, or otherwise a “danger”. Somebody throwing a lamp at you in a domestic altercation could cause them to forever lose their right to vote……..

GWB on August 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM

And having a bunch of members of a religious group you don’t like murdered is even easier than that, eh, Bill?

Dunedainn on August 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Pandering is hard.

Mallard T. Drake on August 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Private sales of “assault weapons” don’t require any identification. Clinton was not arguing for Voter ID.

Dan Minardi on August 28, 2013 at 4:45 PM

We’re ALL pretty certain it was mistake on his part.
Obviously, Clinton didn’t just become in favor of voter ID.

The vast majority of “civilian-models of military rifles” do NOT change hands in a private sale.
People who already own them, aren’t looking to sell them.

listens2glenn on August 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM

voting should be as easy as Monica in a WH closet

burserker on August 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM

The modern day Democrat party is incapable of honoring someone without attempts at cheap political theater.

BD57 on August 28, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Bill, the boney weasel.

Viator on August 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Doesn’t Clinton carry his own “assault” weapon? Concealed?

IndieDogg on August 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Saw no speeches but I`m guessing it was one HUGE liberal campaign rally.

ThePrez on August 28, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Not so huge. They are saying 20K (which means it was probably no more than 15K if that). This is after the media had talked up potential crowds of 100K.

If you think about it, that is a simply pathetic turnout for a major event aimed at black Dems in DC that featured Clinton and Obama.

Missy on August 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM

MeanWhile,……………gridlock sumpins:

Tweets

The Hill ‏@thehill 4m

Clinton: MLK did not ‘live and die to hear his heirs whine about political gridlock’ http://j.mp/17ib8xV
=======================================

VIDEO:

“I would respectfully suggest that Martin Luther King did not live and die to hear his heirs whine about political gridlock,” Clinton said. “It is time to stop complaining and put our shoulders against the stubborn gates holding the American people back.”

canopfor on August 28, 2013 at 5:54 PM

You have to pay a $200 tax stamp, go through an intensive background check by multiple fed agencies, and wait for your local sheriff to have the papers ready for you?

These democrats sound more and more like soviets or Nazis every day.

Murphy9 on August 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM

The gun lobby is what handed the Clintons their head in the ’94 elections.

I guess they’ll never learn. Keep up the rhetoric.

BTW, if ONLY voting was as strict as firearm purchases. I’ve yet to have to go through an FBI check with my driver’s license when I register to vote.

BradTank on August 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Bill Clinton: Voting should be as easy as buying an “assault weapon”

Yes, it’s true. It seems that the screechy Clintoon is entitled to something. Whatever happened to quitting while you’re ahead; a time-honored and well-proven strategy that seems to have been overlooked by the nattering numb-nuts on the nightly news, and the owe-so-many influence peddlers and purveyors of D.C. style honesty.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

hillbillyjim (quoting BillyJeff McClintoon): Voting out the elitist bastards should be as easy as eating four hamburgers in two bites. You saw what I did there, didn’t ya, Monica? Monica? Hello! Is this thing on? Bang! Zoom! Wait until I tell on you to Shrillary! Your bacon’s gonna be overcooked if you mess with The Clintoon.

You just can’t win; she ain’t in no ways tard, especially when she crosses the mason/Dixon line. If there’s been a politician that is so transparently phony, I’ve not seen it in my lifetime, and I strongly hope that the good people of America will see through that cartoonish facade and look at what is there — and more importantly, what is not there.

Get out the vote, folks, and please educate the masses even if it’s just a five-minute diatribe. We can no longer sit on the sidelines and watch the disembowelment of our beloved nation.

Step up and be counted, please.

Please.

Sincerely yours,

Fiddle-dee-dee.

hillbillyjim on August 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM

But we already have a “national ID”. It just doesn’t have a photogragh … yet … : (
listens2glenn on August 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Actually, I refuse to provide my Social Security Number to anyone but the IRS and to a few folks who legitimately in my mind, have to report our transaction to them.. It used to say right on the card, “Not to be used for identification”.

Won’t do business with anyone else who demands that number, even if it is to my loss. It is a matter of principle with me, even knowing that they can find it in some database if they care to look.

LegendHasIt on August 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Bill Clinton: Voting should be as easy as buying an “assault weapon”
=====================================================================

IDIOT!!

canopfor on August 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM

P.S. Fortunately, I live in a state that didn’t require a SSAN for a drivers license… I don’t know how long my principles would last if I was in that position.

LegendHasIt on August 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Let’s see, the last time I bought a so-called “assault weapon” out here in the KSSR (Kalifornia Soviet Socialist Republic), I had to do the following:

–Provide government-issued photo ID
–Submit a thumbprint and undergo an FBI background investigation
–Fill out ATF form 4473
–Fill out California DOJ DROS form
–Undergo 10-day waiting period.

Oh, also, I had moved since the last time my driver’s license was issued, and the broke Kalifornia DMV does not send you a new license when you submit a change of address form. So, since the address on my license was not the same as the address on the forms, when I came back at the end of the waiting period, I had to provide two additional government-issued documents with my current address in order to pick up the rifle. Fortunately I had my registration slips for my car and motorcycle with me.

So, if the liberals howl about how unfair it is to ask voters to provide a photo ID before voting, imagine if you had to do all that before being allowed to pull the lever? LOL.

Hayabusa on August 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Ah, but ‘assault weapons,’ as legitimately defined, have a tax stamp attached to their sale or transfer. I sincerely doubt the Clenis was advocating for a poll tax.

James on August 28, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Here where I am just about anything can be used as proof. Gas bill, water bill etc.

Bmore on August 28, 2013 at 4:45 PM

No way …sanctioned cities…what you said proves no eligibility to vote whatever.

Here are a few which do: birth certificate, passport, naturalization certificate.

Schadenfreude on August 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM

usually a five-day waiting period

Ed, when is the last time you purchased a firearm? Five-day waiting periods are hardly “usual”. Just go in, fill out the NICS form, and purchase the firearm.

Henry Bowman on August 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM

No, really, -how about a simple law from Congress that says “no state shall make it more or less difficult to buy a handgun than it is to vote”?

slickwillie2001 on August 28, 2013 at 6:10 PM

LegendHasIt on August 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM

No worries, the land is now a version of Zimbabwe anyway.

The politicos would consider such bigoted and racist.

Schadenfreude on August 28, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Meanwhile

Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., the only black person serving in the United States Senate, wasn’t invited to the event commemorating the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King’s march on Washington, though a host of Democratic luminaries spoke on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.

“Senator Scott was not invited to speak at the event,” Greg Blair, a spokesman for the South Carolina lawmaker, said in a statement to the Washington Examiner. “The senator believes today is a day to remember the extraordinary accomplishments and sacrifices of Dr. King, Congressman John Lewis, and an entire generation of black leaders. Today’s anniversary should simply serve as an opportunity to reflect upon how their actions moved our country forward in a remarkable way.”

The event organizers didn’t completely exclude Republicans from the event — former President George W. Bush received an invitation, but he couldn’t attend as he is recovering from surgery — the slate of speakers was filled with names such as former President Clinton, Gov. Martin O’Malley, D-Md., Oprah Winfrey, Jamie Foxx and others.
Sign Up for the Politics Today newsletter!

President Obama was the keynote speaker of the event, of course. In honoring the achievements of King and other civil rights leaders, wouldn’t it have made sense to have the first black president joined by the first black senator from South Carolina, which was a Jim Crow state when the original March on Washington took place?

The Washington Examiner contacted MLK Dream 50 to ask why Scott wasn’t invited, but didn’t hear back in time for publication.

Schadenfreude on August 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Great idea BILL!

Show your ID!

TX-96 on August 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Meanwhile back in the real world, here’s my contribution to the days commemoration…

I’m a middle age white guy living in South Carolina. Nobody bats an eye at the fact that my manager is a younger black woman. Where i work this is not unusual. The significance of this never occurred to me until today as my coworkers talked about the rally in DC.

Jim Crow really is dead. King would be pleased.

SCsteve on August 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Henry Bowman on August 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM

That depends on the state where you live. Several are 5 days, some more, some less, and some, as you say, the only wait is for the length of the phone call to the Feds.

LegendHasIt on August 28, 2013 at 6:19 PM

“I love that finger of yours Billy Jeff “bent boy” Clinton!!”—Monica Lewinsky (circa 1997).

And just think this vermin still has the stones to get up and lecture us.

If only the gop had one of his!

PappyD61 on August 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Buying an assault weapon = show ID

Voting = show ID

Win – win!!

Khun Joe on August 28, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Tell all the moms and dads to lock up their daughters because slick willy is all wild eyed….

crosshugger on August 28, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Schadenfreude on August 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Found the thread from yesterday where Crapitalist Hog ran out of time-it’s in Erika’s Miley Cyrus thread from The Green Room and is now in the archives.

Del Dolemonte on August 28, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 28, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Good riddance.

slickwillie2001 on August 28, 2013 at 6:54 PM

So what he is saying is I can go to the gun store, give them my false name which is actually the name of my dead neighbor. No ID necessary and then walk out with a free assault weapon? I am heading over to Scottsdale Gun Club right now!!

The Notorious G.O.P on August 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Good. I agree. We need to show ID’s and go through an instant background check. No crooks allowed to vote.

JellyToast on August 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Sexual predator sez Voting should require ID, background checks and waiting period … Bill Clinton(D) is such a racist

DANEgerus on August 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Schadenfreude on August 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I doubt Associate Justice Clarence Thomas received an invite as well.

Dr. King looked forward to the day when people would be judged solely based on the content of their character as opposed to the color of their skin – and it remains an vision that is completely absent from the values of today’s Democrat Party.

That party seeks to expand labels and separation of the people as opposed to reducing them.

Athos on August 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Is Arkansas a state, or just a state of confusion and home for the always important debate about whether Little Rock is a city or just a miniscule mineral deposit ???

As BillyJeff’s favorite cousins say:

“When’s that no-account backstabbin’ piece of shit gonna shut his big ol’ piehole anyhow? At least brother Billy kept us in beer and tater chips!”

hillbillyjim on August 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Can someone, anyone, with some gravitas please point out that the liberal fantasy land of Norway requires ID to vote and has since 2007? The Democrats have absolutely no valid argument against voter ID.

You have to have an ID to get a job, to drive, to buy a variety of things, to travel by airplane. If there is seriously anyone in the United States that has a hard time acquiring an ID, Democrats should work on that as a problem, not pretending that voter ID in itself is racist and bad.

Norway completely disproves voter ID, itself, being a problem and/or racist.

Seixon on August 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM

$150K per.

P.T. was right.

My own take? Shut the hell up. Yes, you Billy Jeff.

mickytx on August 28, 2013 at 7:09 PM

What’s an assault weapon? I have an 1860 Prussian musket downstairs, does that count because I’m pretty sure the Prussian soldiers assaulted others from time to time.

Bishop on August 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 28, 2013 at 6:49 PM

You’re an excellent detective and factician :)

Thanks for the trouble. I might go look for it.

Schadenfreude on August 28, 2013 at 7:18 PM

No way …sanctioned cities…what you said proves no eligibility to vote whatever.

Schadenfreude on August 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM

No, I do not live in a sanctuary state, I live in a red state. You only have to provide a utility bill to register and then vote. It is awful.

alwaysfiredup on August 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM

This was less about a national celebration of Dr. MLK and his ‘I Have a Dream” speech – and more about political pandering by the Democrats. Athos on August 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Civil rights has always been a smokescreen.

Akzed on August 28, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Clinton’s all are aholes.

Sherman1864 on August 28, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Unless you have a Class III firearms license, none of you own or have purchased an “assault weapon”. Why do people let these jackoffs make up firearm terms that suit their purposes.

Fazman on August 28, 2013 at 7:40 PM

With huge majorities believing voter fraud is a serious issue, and huge majorities in support of needing valid ID at the polls, and, with an unfathomable amount of power at stake, most of the voting public doesn’t seem to believe the nonsense Billy is peddling.
Voting will still be easy, but hopefully the cheating won’t.

lynncgb on August 28, 2013 at 7:42 PM

C’mon now, we all have to agree with Clinton on this. Imagine how much it would tighten up the voter rolls.

HiJack on August 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Maybe he means assault weapons like the flashlights those two used to beat poor Delbert Belton to death.

John Deaux on August 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM

It is awful.

alwaysfiredup on August 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Indeed…it proves nothing, just that the person lives there. That doesn’t make them legal to vote.

Birth certificat
Passport
Naturalization certificate

…are 3 legitimate docs of proof to vote legally in the US.

Schadenfreude on August 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM

It is so ironic that they refuse to a knowledge any progress at all.

If they believe that they are so ineffectual why do they keep it up? Should such failure as they claim make them change tactics?

Getting an ID card makes one a functioning member of society. Why do they want to keep minorities from being fully functional? Why?

Well we know don’t we.

petunia on August 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Akzed on August 28, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Didn’t know there was a site that embodied the Birchers, Alex Jones style conspiracy theorists, and the Lew Rockwell / von Mises Institute / neo-Confederate versions of internet lunacy.

I’ve felt cleaner after visiting the Daily Kos….

Athos on August 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I will agree with that; Photo ID, fingerprints, mental & criminal background check. Smartest thing Willie’s said in a LONG time.

xmanvietnam on August 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I had to show picture ID to see my doctor.

davidk on August 28, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Voting should be as easy as buying an “assault” rifle? I like it. At $25.00 for each NICS check, me being an FFL, I’ll be a rich man!

$$$$$ :-) $$$$$

Woody

woodcdi on August 28, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I was going to say that eventually this country would pay the price in blood for all the lies that have been foisted on us by these race-baiting, power-mad fools, but in fact, we’re already paying the price in blood every single day.

claudius on August 28, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Okay, then. You want a voter ID? That’s a thirty day background check, you must pass a competency exam in civics as you have to in gun safety, and you have to pay a fee.

Or, OR, we could purchase a semi-automatic rifle with no ID, no waiting period, no test, and no fee.

One of the Constitutional rights is not like the others; which one doesn’t belong with the others?

billrowe on August 28, 2013 at 8:04 PM

John Deaux on August 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Maybe he means assault weapon like the one he raped Juanita Broaddrick with?

slickwillie2001 on August 28, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Schadenfreude on August 28, 2013 at 4:43 PM

To renew my driver’s license I had to provide..

Birth certificate or passport

Something with my SS# on it

2 articles with my name and address on it.

Bmore, have you got a license lately?

Barred on August 28, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I was turned into a newt.

Bishop on August 28, 2013 at 8:20 PM

… Is he saying we should tighten voter ID laws? Or is he saying we should sell guns without checking ID?

Because if he’s saying they should be the same… he’s saying one of the two.

Given that what he’s saying is idiotic we are left asking ourselves the next rhetorical question… Is Bill Clinton an idiot or does he just think he’s talking to idiots?

Rhetorical.

Karmashock on August 28, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Just remember that BillyJ instituted “Motor Voter” registration. Easy peezy with a false driver’s license.

onlineanalyst on August 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Schadenfreude on August 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Yes, its true. If we are in fact talking about the same thing.

A first time registrant by mail may also provide one of the following additional forms of identification: a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document that shows the name and address of the elector.

Bmore on August 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Bmore, have you got a license lately?

Barred on August 28, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Nope, once every 10. Looks as though some changes have been made though. Reading up on them now. ; )

Bmore on August 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 28, 2013 at 6:49 PM

A good reason to at least skim the QOTD when you can. ; ) Sorry had I seen you today I probably would have mentioned it to you Del.

Bmore on August 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I was turned into a newt.

Bishop on August 28, 2013 at 8:20 PM

But you got better, right?

Bmore on August 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Thanks for the trouble. I might go look for it.

Schadenfreude on August 28, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Don’t waste your time. It happened offline.

Bmore on August 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM

listens2glenn on August 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM

LegendHasIt on August 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM

If you live in a state that minimizes the need to use it, GREAT ! : )

But you should still need it for employment and tax filing, am I correct?

listens2glenn on August 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I would be willing to bet every single one of those speakers today that, given what you had to do to vote in 1963, if you were black, Martin Luther King would have been more than happy to show a driver’s license, or picture i.d., in order to vote.

These people have taken this to the political end and it’s to their shame they have no desire to protect the integrity of the vote. It’s one of the reasons I have little use for the Democrats. Everything is political and much of it makes no sense.

Why black people can’t see through this morally bankrupt party I’ll never know. All it takes, in this case is “street smarts” to figure them out, yet they’re willing to abandon their street smarts to follow these people.

Are black people better off now, following these people? They really need to think about this. They have to sacrifice their children to inferior education, they have to sacrifice themselves to lower class neighborhoods, and watch as their children are murdered on a daily basis. Is supporting the Democratic Party really worth all of this?

bflat879 on August 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM

To the extent that his argument is cogent at all, it’s demagogic nonsense.

What else is new?

Cleombrotus on August 28, 2013 at 8:50 PM

billrowe on August 28, 2013 at 8:04 PM

The Constitution doesn’t actually guarantee you the right to vote. It prohibits you from being denied the vote for certain things. Other than that the requirements for voting are left up to the individual states. Keeping and bearing arms on the other hand….

Oldnuke on August 28, 2013 at 8:52 PM

PHEW! I was worried there for a minute, that once again today *I* was gonna say the absolutely stupidest thing on Earth!

THANKS BILL!!

a5minmajor on August 28, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Well, yes, but let us have our moment of joy at the irony of Bubba’s words regardless of what he thought they meant.

TXAction on August 28, 2013 at 9:10 PM

With this, Slick stepped on his…

Our Bubba, gone senile and irrelevant.

Byrd Machine on August 28, 2013 at 9:16 PM

So Billy is saying that voting should be as easy as a background check and a Voter ID, not to mention the Brady Bill legislation?

ErnstBlofeld on August 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Sounds like Billy caught a little air to the brain while he was on by-pass and blew some of his liberal microchips.

Thanks for making our point.

Now, if only Hillary can have an open heart procedure.

NoPain on August 28, 2013 at 9:58 PM

“Buying a gun and voting should be as easy as being The President and getting a blowj*b from an 18 year old in the Oval Office…….”

williamg on August 28, 2013 at 10:25 PM

But you should still need it for employment and tax filing, am I correct?
listens2glenn on August 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I did say that I do provide it to the IRS and anyone who I believe has a legitimate need to have it.

As far as employment, I am blessed to not have been employed for decades. But yeah, If I were to apply for a job, I would consider filling out a W-4 form for my employer a legitimate use of my SSAN.

LegendHasIt on August 28, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Maybe this can be used in ads supporting voter photo ID.

talkingpoints on August 28, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Earth to Slick Willie…….Voting is so Easy Already, almost as EASY ……. As the Dope from Hope shagging chics – while he is working!
Who’s that smokin in the Oval Office?

FlaMurph on August 28, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Background checks all-around….
What a dope….

FerdtheMoonCat on August 28, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I laughed out loud when I read this earlier today. Taking it that Clinton means voter ID laws or “suppression” would make it harder to vote than buy a gun… is a complete joke.

Here in Oregon, it will take me longer and require ID to buy COLD MEDICINE than to buy a gun, let along register to vote. We have vote by mail for pete’s sake here.

Oregon requires people to have a doctor’s prescription to buy sudafed/cold meds, all to combat meth. The Fed law requires you show ID which is recorded in the pharmacists book on top of that as their are purchase limits, to combat meth.

I bought a pistol awhile back during the lunch hour. The store wasn’t real busy and it took me 30 minutes or less to fill out the ATF paperwork and get a background check. It would take me an hour minimum to go to a clinic or my doctor to get a sudafed prescription and likely cost me $100+. To register to vote takes 5 minutes or less to fill out a card and mail it or turn it in to an elections office.

oryguncon on August 29, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Slick Willie cannot be this stupid. If we had voter laws as strict as gun purchase laws, including background checks, their wouldn’t be any minorities voting!

inspectorudy on August 29, 2013 at 12:13 AM

BJ Clinton thinks voting should be as easy as having the state police bring floozies to him.
Disbarred and impeached, BTW…

Murphy9 on August 29, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Is this another of bubba Clinton’s $700000 speeches. I’m sure he is speaking thru his wallet.

jaywemm on August 29, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Doesn’t Clinton carry his own “assault” weapon? Concealed?

IndieDogg on August 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Yes, and when he pulls it out, he’s smoking Cubans.

WryTrvllr on August 29, 2013 at 4:44 AM

Seems to me I’ve seen that bony wagging finger before. “I did not have sexual relations with that woman.”

kjatexas on August 29, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Folks, you do realize that he’s not saying this for our consumption, right?

There are people out there, almost exclusively on the left, and exclusively moronic, that actually believe it’s easier to buy an assault weapon than it is to vote. The number of such people is quite staggering actually, and their vote counts the same as yours.

This is the level of people who are now running this country, and the level of the majority who are putting and keeping them in office. If this fact doesn’t cause you to wake up in a cold sweat once in a while, chances are you too think it’s easier to buy an assault weapon than it is to vote.

runawayyyy on August 29, 2013 at 9:06 AM

And to think I’ve been illegally concealed-carrying my Illinois voter registration all this time, at least until that changed this summer.

Nutstuyu on August 29, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Lefties only know what they want, but have no idea that the “wants” often have conflicting consequences. Being a grown up means being able to recognize that and picking which “wants” are do-able. Being a Lefty means, well, “waaaahhh–!!”

NeoCon_1 on August 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM

To call Clinton an Azz Clown is to insult all other azz clowns. Everyone on that stage is delusional and moronic.

PJ Emeritus on August 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Here is what is needed to reform voting:

1) 2 forms of photo ID.
2) No early voting except for Military.
3) No same day registration and registration must take place every 4 years, showing acceptable proof of residence and ID to register.

Of course, all this would make cheating very difficult.

nazo311 on August 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM

…registration must take place every 4 years, showing acceptable proof of residence and ID to register.

I live in Dubai, but I pay federal taxes every year. I’m not about to go back just to register. My residency is in Dubai, but my domicile is in Texas.

Wino on August 29, 2013 at 1:15 PM