Should conservatives resist the race tu quoque?

posted at 7:21 pm on August 26, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

So says Breitbart editor Joel Pollak, a good friend of mine, who revealed yesterday that his site intentionally steered clear of the race discussion relating to recent crimes in Oklahoma and Spokane. While a good discussion of media malpractice is always welcome, the urge in using specific and unrelated cases usually leads people to take the arguments too far — a practice of the Left that Pollak would rather avoid (via Ace):

It is becoming harder for some conservative journalists to resist the tit-for-tat arguments when Sharpton et al. continue to pretend the Martin case was about race when everyone involved, including the prosecution, said that it was not. Even the Martin family, given the opportunity (before the verdict) to comment on the fact that there were no black jurors, said that they placed their faith in their fellow citizens and the judicial process. The fact that the racial argument has survived the trial and the facts is both sad and frustrating.

So the temptation to report the race of alleged perpetrators when the roles are reversed is now stronger than it was before–too strong for some conservative sites in the Christopher Lane murder, which reported initially (and inaccurately) that all three assailants were black. Yes, there is a crime problem in the black community. Yes, there is an failure among black leaders, from Obama on down, to do anything about it. That story doesn’t need new white victims to make it potent. This is a game without winners. I’d rather not play.

I spoke about this on my show this morning, in the final segment of the second hour.  There are some issues that the Lane and Benton murders may have in common, mainly bored teenagers with little supervision and no engagement in core values — but those issues are not limited to any one community, nor are two incidents involving five teenagers a particularly good look at teens as a whole or an indication of broad cultural decline.

Last week, for instance, I wrote about the story of DHS manager Ayo Kimathi, who runs a website warning fellow African-Americans of a coming race war, complete with enemies list — including President Obama.  The issue isn’t that DHS hired a racist, nor does one staffing decision indicate a broad problem with race in America.  The public policy issue there was that Homeland Security apparently didn’t know that one of its managers was an extremist that publicly identified the President as an enemy of the people, an act that would probably be prominently featured in a DHS report on Tea Party extremism if Kimathi was part of that movement.  I noted at the end:

I’m not “hesitating to be blunt” about race…[.]  It’s rather obvious that Kimathi has an issue with race, but that’s not the public policy/performance issue here. Nor is it in any individual act of racism, either.  Bringing up isolated incidents of racial animus and stretching that into a narrative about everyone else is what the Left has done for decades.  Count me out of that nonsense.

Pollak is saying the same thing. Essentially, the argument from conservatives is self-defeating.  We resist categorizing people by identity, and argue against the “society is to blame” explanation for crime and social ills.  We preach individual responsibility and consequences.  When we stray from that, even to score a few justified points on the media for their hypocrisy and bias, we risk turning individual incidents into “narratives” that aren’t really supported by the facts, and lose track of our philosophical compass. In my opinion, that’s too high a cost for too low a reward.

War Games’ Joshua said it best:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Ignore news? Why? If we ignore reality will it go away?

MNHawk on August 26, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Neville Chamberlain thought so.

VorDaj on August 26, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Another ‘son’ of obama

Schadenfreude on August 26, 2013 at 8:38 PM

No point pointing it out, because the welfare state makes it impossible to change it. just let the decline continue!

astonerii on August 26, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Something which has miffed me for years is competition mistaken for racism. I have never lived in a heavily mixed community. I have no idea about the Jim Crow era. For 25 years I did live in a community with one black family out of 35,000. One of which happened to be my neighbor. Couldn’t help but have a job. He was in demand not for being black but because he knew what he was doing.

Everything I saw on the news regarding discrimination I could relate to from being in business. From not being served in a restaurant by waitresses I knew to making a sales call and finding out my competition had my prices before I got out the door. It is not all discrimination. It is competition.

CW20 on August 26, 2013 at 8:38 PM

it’s sad that many people here are criticizing ed for this post. he’s absolutely right.

Sachiko on August 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Ed is not thin-skinned like obama.

Schadenfreude on August 26, 2013 at 8:39 PM

thatsafactjack on August 26, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Thanks. Nope, we whiteys are just constantly told to be quiet, move along, nothing here.

At least ten years ago several US Marines gang raped a 12 year old Okinawan school girl. The media never reported their names until long after the trial. Wonder why dat be?

arnold ziffel on August 26, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Don’t forget about those isolated incidents called flashmobs.

wolly4321 on August 26, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Pincher Martin on August 26, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Point of order, I believe Mrs. Malkin was born here, other than that, yep.

Cindy Munford on August 26, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I know Morrissey’s argment isn’t that conservatives should simply sit down and shut up in the war against the race-baiting left… but that’s what it sounds like.

RightKlik on August 26, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Ignoring it won’t make the problem go away. They are defining themselves based on race and there isn’t anything we can do to stop that.

Exactly. Captain Ed’s principles are those concessions made by a loser. He has no pathway to victory for his idea. He has surrendered and ceded the ground to the enemy.

“No people in history have ever survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves inoffensive to their enemies.”

– Dean Acheson and Paul Nitze

Pincher Martin on August 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Gainesville, Fla.: A white man was beaten by a group of black men yelling “Trayvon.”

Oak Park, Ill.: Two blacks repeatedly punched a young white man; one of the two attackers told police he beat the victim because he was upset with the Trayvon case.

Toledo, Ohio: A 78-year-old man was severely beaten by a group of black youths while they shouted “this is for Trayvon.”

Washington, D.C.: Three black men robbed and beat a white man, stealing his wallet and iPhone. One of the black men said, “This is for Trayvon Martin” as they approached the victim.

Mobile, Ala.: A white man was attacked by 20 black adults who hit him with chairs, pipes, brass knuckles, and paint cans. As the group left, two witnesses reported one assailant said, “Now that’s justice for Trayvon.”

Baltimore, Md.: A group of black youths beat a Hispanic man while saying, “This is for Trayvon.”

Chester County, Pa.: Firefighters responded to an arson started at a white-owned business with the words “Kill Zimmerman” painted in red on the front wall.

Similar revenge attacks have reportedly occurred in Memphis, Tenn.; Norfolk, Va.; and Sanford, Fla.

rrpjr on August 26, 2013 at 8:04 PM

The direct and predictable result of Obama’s “If I had a son …”.

They are all Sons of Obama now.

But we must all be like the MSM and deny reality… or so some say.

VorDaj on August 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Point of order, I believe Mrs. Malkin was born here, other than that, yep.

My mistake, Cindy. Thanks for the correction.

It’s satisfying to know we can still breed good, strong conservative voices on native soil.

Pincher Martin on August 26, 2013 at 8:43 PM

RightKlik on August 26, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Well, you know what they say … if it looks and walks and quacks … …

VorDaj on August 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM

– Dean Acheson and Paul Nitze

Pincher Martin on August 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM

That’s a very good quote and very true.

sharrukin on August 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Sachiko on August 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM

The race-baiting led by Obama is harmful. How else do we address it than by calling it out?

Paul-Cincy on August 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Sachiko on August 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM

In the same sense that Chamberlain was.

VorDaj on August 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Even eric holder called out this post several years ago.

wolly4321 on August 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Then just like the last forty years, one side loses by default.

cozmo

Ed has admitted on more than one occasion that he’d rather surrender and let democrats win than risk losing by fighting.

xblade on August 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Yeah, why go to Hot Air or Breitbart when we can just go to MSNBC for the same news … or lack thereof.

Pincher Martin on August 26, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Breitbart disapproves of both, as MLK disapproves of obama and all the hucksters.

(btw us, let’s just say that I’m like the n s a – try to take it down a notch…because kiddo, I like you and I want you around. I like being on the same side of the barricade with you, and in the same ditch, in dire times. You can still be tough. Attack the ideas not the messengers, unless you fight trolls – in that case, full steam ahead :) )

———
Hi Jackie :)

Schadenfreude on August 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Are you kidding me?

Pincher Martin on August 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

If we don’t talk about daddy beating mommy, maybe he’ll stop.

Clink on August 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM

We must be silent or else he might start beating us too. Mommy probably deserves it anyway.

VorDaj on August 26, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Not only that – the R dummies enable the D impertinent charlatans and are, thus, more culpable.

Timidity doesn’t win wars.

I agree. I mentioned how silence is enabling in a earlier post, just not the last one.

I have grown to admire (not like) the D tactics more. They want to win and in politics winning is all.

Schadenfreude on August 26, 2013 at 8:25 PM

If you don’t have an “make your opponents surrender unconditionally, or bust!” attitude, the battles with them will just keep on comin’…

Anti-Control on August 26, 2013 at 8:51 PM

WOW! I won’t talk about something that is extremely difficult to talk about! That is a new low in journalism. Screw Pollak and his principles. This is the problem we have with Boehner and Cantor now in the House. They had rather go along than fight for their constituents and country. Does anyone think that one low IQ White person involved with a Black gang that does something horrific makes it “Not a hate” crime? Have any of you ever read about the Mafia? The fact that several Jews who knew how to get things done were highly rated and valued by the mob, does that make the mob a Jewish mob or a rainbow mob?
The Black Grievance Industry is alive and well and if we ignore it we will pay these bloodsuckers for ever.

inspectorudy on August 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Sachiko on August 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM

He has a certain viewpoint. One that has decided to ignore the bigger race discussion that should be going on.

To talk about the Duncan OK killing is not a tit-for-tat gotcha with the media over the Trayvon Martin killing. The question is why, in 2013, these incidents take on a racial element. Why a black stripper can make a claim of rape against college boys or six blacks get charged with rape in LA and the black racists mobilize in national outrage. Why, despite blacks serving in the highest levels of government, we are told that there is no equality for blacks in American society.

The bigger discussion remains, like Voldemort, that which will not be discussed for fear of ticking of blacks who only want to lecture and do not want to have a real discussion.

Happy Nomad on August 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM

*whoops I didn’t mean that I agree with the “more culpable” part – I meant that they are playing a role in what happens to them by not standing up for themselves.

Anti-Control on August 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Anti-Control on August 26, 2013 at 8:51 PM

My dear A-C, I agreed with you. You must internalize that I am not against you :) We fight the same scumhags/scumbags, the cancer of the free world, be it slightly differently.

Schadenfreude on August 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM

That’s a very good quote and very true.

sharrukin on August 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM

It’s a great quote.

Schadenfreude on August 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Whatever tactic works, I’m for. I don’t believe in backing off to protect someone’s sensibilities.

In that sense, I admire the gay rights advocates who have taken an unpopular idea and over the last twenty years moved it far down the field. They didn’t do that by following Captain’s Ed’s principles of surrender. I wish my side was as tough minded.

Pincher Martin on August 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I was very disappointed by Ed/Allah’s refusal to even mention those stories. I respect HA being zealous about racism in the comments, and even applaud it, but to not discuss black on white crime to open up a larger discussion of how skewed and hypocritical the national dialogue is saddens me.

John the Libertarian on August 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Pincher Martin on August 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Please internalize this:

1. Indeed, on the tactic.

2. What works is when you don’t get banned.

3. The editors don’t mind if you attack their ideas, but as any host would, don’t take personal attacks lightly.

I care that you be here…that’s all.

Schadenfreude on August 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM

If we don’t talk about daddy beating mommy, maybe he’ll stop.

Clink on August 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM

More like: If we don’t talk about daddy beating mommy, then maybe daddy will like us.

Happy Nomad on August 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM

“America loves a winner, and will not tolerate a loser, this is why America has never, and will never, lose a war.” – George S. Patton

If he gets internet in heaven, I hope he doesn’t click on hotair.

VorDaj on August 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Mainstream conservatives have no balls at all on this subject. They’re so afraid of being called “racist!” that they won’t even take the field against their opponents.

If you don’t play the game, that’s not a “win” – it’s a “forfeit.”

John Derbyshire was right about mainstream conservatives: We Are Doomed.

Gearbox on August 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM

The issue isn’t that DHS hired a racist, nor does one staffing decision indicate a broad problem with race in America. The public policy issue there was that Homeland Security apparently didn’t know that one of its managers was an extremist that publicly identified the President as an enemy of the people

It’s not one or the other, it’s both.Hiring an openly proud racist is indeed an issue, and if we were talking about a card carrying member of the KKK calling for the extermination of black people instead you’d have no problem recognizing it.

xblade on August 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM

So Ed Morrissey and Joel Pollak both admit that Obama and the Obama Party is right and that they’re white racists who should just shut up and do whatever Obama says.

Go ahead, Ed. Just state that Obama is right. You don’t want to criticize, you don’t want to be racist, you just want to be loved by Obama and the Obama media.

Admit that you are white and that you are therefore worthless. It’s what you clearly believe and it’s what you clearly support.

northdallasthirty on August 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I care that you be here…that’s all.

Schadenfreude on August 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM

There are two kinds of people here … well some of them, a lot of them, are no longer here. Those who come in through the front door and those who can come in through the back door and all the windows.

VorDaj on August 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Say what you want for Bill O’Reilly, but at least he’s got the stones to wade into the thick of it. He’s been going after the race hustlers ever since Zimmerman was acquitted.

John the Libertarian on August 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Please internalize this:

1. Indeed, on the tactic.

2. What works is when you don’t get banned.

I care that you be here…that’s all.

Thanks for the warning.

I’ve teased mercilessly Captain Ed for his high principles and commitment to loserdom. If that’s a bannable offense at Hot Air, then I don’t want to post here. I prefer being banned. It would be better to duke it out over these issues elsewhere online.

Pincher Martin on August 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Nope, sorry. We *must* use every opportunity to ridicule the Left – to point out their flagrant hypocrisies.

If we don’t, they simply go unremarked and unchallenged – and will *never* change.

I have no problem beating them about the head and neck with their hypocrisies – conservatives should wake the f*ck up and figure out that ‘being nice’ and ‘taking the high ground’ is simply what the Left *love* for us to do.

You can’t change or win an argument you refuse to participate in.

Midas on August 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Are you kidding me?

Pincher Martin

No, I’m not kidding, though to be fair, he doesn’t put it in the same words I used. But he makes it clear in many of the positions he takes. He has said on more than one occasion that we should let dems have their way on an issue so we can get it off the table. In other words, let the dems win, because if we fight them we might lose. And he’s not alone. Several others here make the same stupid argument.

xblade on August 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM

It we did keep score, wouldn’t Caucasians have to make up the majority of both victims and perpetrators based on the size of their majority? For now.

Cindy Munford on August 26, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Schadenfreude on August 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM

You misinterpreted my intent…I was only pointing out, for the record, that I was in basic agreement with your “correction,” which I did not take personally at all. :)

Silence about this matter accomplishes nothing positive, as you know…

Anti-Control on August 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I used to read HA as my primary website I now find myself not even clicking on it after I check the stories. Jazz Shaw is the worst Northeast RINO you could get BTW. He loves to talk fiscal or energy like a good NE RINO and stay out of “offending” liberals. Reading this post from Ed at a time when being timid is costing us the country is sad. The SAS say “he who dares wins”. I watch Reid say the Tea Party are a bunch of terrorists and he gets a lot of blank stares from our side. I can only imagine how pleased they are that they can put out this kind of rhetoric and the public sees it and then when they don’t see an outrage conclude, as they did with Bush, it must be true or the Republicans would try and defend themselves. I fell like you can’t even care when across the board people like Ed at a leadership level can’t even raise their voice to this kind of crap.

Conan on August 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Hilariously, Joel Pollak’s post over at Breitbart is NOT OPEN FOR COMMENTING. Apparently he said it and we’re supposed to believe it and shut up or something. No sale, Joel.

Gearbox on August 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Thanks for the warning.

Pincher Martin on August 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM

FWIW, I don’t believe your comments came close to doing what might result in your banning…

Anti-Control on August 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Ok, the more I think on it, the more infuriating this is. What the ever loving f*ck happened to this place? I’d like to think that MM would kick your asses into October for this kind of drivel.

Midas on August 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM

We do keep score. Crime stats, and proportional inbalance is huge. 12-14% commit a disproportionate amount of crime. That’s not racism, or symbolic isolated events.

It’s fact.

wolly4321 on August 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM

You can’t change or win an argument you refuse to participate in.

Midas on August 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM

“An insult unpunished is the parent of many others.” -Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Jay, Aug. 23, 1785

Anti-Control on August 26, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Conan on August 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Agreed, more and more every week, miss talking with everybody.

MontanaMmmm on August 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM

And least we forget, we must never ever make any connection whatsoever to Muslims and terrorism either.

VorDaj on August 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM

In general, Captain Morrissey, I’ve noticed you’re the kind of guy who frequently likes to praise himself for his principles – perhaps because it would be unseemly for you to praise your political intelligence when you’re getting your clocked clean.

Pincher Martin on August 26, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I’m confused. I thought we were suppose to abandon principle and vote for the lesser of two evils. Now Ed is saying it’s all about the principles even when it puts us at a disadvantage. Why don’t they just say shut up and do what we tell you. It would make life a lot simpler.

DFCtomm on August 26, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Conan on August 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Excellent.

rrpjr on August 26, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Gearbox on August 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM

He is even afraid of his own web sites commenters. Now that’s being afraid.

VorDaj on August 26, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Conan on August 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM

So true!

I read somewhere that HotAir has, in recent months, experienced a decline in daily traffic more than other large political blogs.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the site’s timid, “let’s not say anything the liberals may find controversial” approach has contributed to this decline.

It saddens to me to see this, since I remember the fire and boldness this site had when Michelle Malkin was still here. The next time this site adds a new blogger, I hope it’s an unapologetic conservative.

bluegill on August 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM

DFCtomm on August 26, 2013 at 9:18 PM

It’s contextual, I guess. Some days the captain’s a strategist, some days he’s a man of high principle, but everyday he’s a squish.

Pincher Martin on August 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Gearbox on August 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM

The Breitbart sites have been overrun by corporatists and opportunistic former factotums of Andrew Breitbart. Breitbart was too chaotic and charismatic a man to leave a properly manageable legacy, I’m afraid. If you want real “Breitbart”, you need to go to the videotape.

rrpjr on August 26, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Why is it that since the Zimmerman-Martin business started no one
has mentioned that this began as black on white violence?

Martin was elevated to saint hood because he bit off more than he could chew. Had he prevailed this would never made the news.

countrybumpkin on August 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM

He is even afraid of his own web sites commenters. Now that’s being afraid.

VorDaj on August 26, 2013 at 9:19 PM

lol

Anti-Control on August 26, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Pincher Martin on August 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM

And you can always tell when someone finds it easier to criticize his political allies than his opponents…

Anti-Control on August 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Midas on August 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Sullivan’s Law at work perhaps?

Cleombrotus on August 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Anti-Control on August 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Would be nice to see Ed get fired up about something someday. You can be a decent man, Christian and still think “what the?” Here in the country I live in things are not going well and I ain’t jiggy with it.

Allah got fired up the other day. Don’t recall what it was. Don’t think he is as beta as he pretends. NYC ain’t good for the boy though.

arnold ziffel on August 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Sometimes I wonder if Michelle Malkin, who founded this site, is disappointed in its current state and the direction the editors and bloggers have taken HotAir. I believe she did all the early blogger hirings.

Reminds me, in a way, of the regret Reagan would have felt if he had seen what his Supreme Court appointment Anthony Kennedy has become.

bluegill on August 26, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Then just like the last forty years, one side loses by default.

cozmo on August 26, 2013 at 7:26 PM

History is littered with the skeletons and carcasses of idealists who refused to get their hands dirty fighting their enemies using the same weapons their enemies use.

Not speaking out against a problem, does not make it go away.

kingsjester on August 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM

But maybe putting one’s head in the sand will make it go away.

The Orwellian rewrite of the Zimmerman case is taking place as I write this.

And yet there are many on the right who just stand by and watch. And they also try to ignore the whole issue of race baiting as much as they possibly can.

Maybe if they ignore it long enough it will just go away. Maybe if enough people on the right ignore injustices and unfounded and unsupported charges of racism the problem will take care of itself. Because the MSM will then ignore them too, right?

Besides, it would be icky, or something, to try to take the issue on.

farsighted on August 26, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Would be nice to see Ed get fired up about something someday.
arnold ziffel on August 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM

He performs a valuable service: he reminds us of the worst traditions of pacifistic conservatism. Some of the responses to him here are wonderful affirmations of what we’ve learned and how utterly tired we all are of the old way of doing business.

rrpjr on August 26, 2013 at 9:48 PM

It may be a little off topic but how hard would it be to point out to people what is going on in this country? What I mean is neither side, in the past, could get away with saying the other side hates women, just to pick one.

Really?

How hard would it be for one person to get in their face on one of these shows and say

“ARE YOU SERIOUSLY SAYING WE ALL ON THE RIGHT HATE OUR WIVES AND DAUGHTERS AND THE WOMEN IN THE PARTY HATE THEMSELVES”

No one even challenges the most ABSURD claims made by the left IN A PUBLIC FORUM!!!!

They would NEVER let us slide on whoppers like the ones they tell.

Also, if the topic is fracking on a show the left ignores it and tells lies like we approve of RAPE!

Are we THAT convinced we are such losers that obvious truths can’t be used to paint the other side in a bad light with what I hope is still a sober enough public to get that following a-holes who would make such claims is a BAD idea?

We can’t paint them as out of the mainstream when they say the Tea Party wants to see blacks hanging from trees?

I could go on with all the shenanigans these guys have pulled but we all let it go at the top levels in the spirit of Ed has here saying we aren’t going to answer such nasty talk. Tsk Tsk. Bad Liberals..tsk tsk.. you should try harder to be nice now.

Of course they snicker when they hear that.

Conan on August 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM

It’s weird, until Ed wrote this, I thought they had decided not to write about it because it didn’t have anything to do with politics. Now I learn it is because we don’t want to appear to notice because that would declasse (keeping with the sissy French terms). Somewhat disappointing, not at all surprising.

Cindy Munford on August 26, 2013 at 9:51 PM

RULE 4: “Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.” If the rule is that every letter gets a reply, send 30,000 letters. You can kill them with this because no one can possibly obey all of their own rules. (This is a serious rule. The besieged entity’s very credibility and reputation is at stake, because if activists catch it lying or not living up to its commitments, they can continue to chip away at the damage.)

Alinsky’s allies have won many a battle with this one. I’m not about to forego this one — for it certainly highlights the basic hypocrisy of the left, and makes their attempts to do the same to us that much less effective.

unclesmrgol on August 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I’m a bitter clinger, onward (or as I used to say before I could read) ornery Christian soldiers.

I’m ornery as all get out at this post.
PC is like an invasive mussel to a lake.

MontanaMmmm on August 26, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Reminds me of one of my favorite HotAir quotes. I wish I could remember who first posted it

“The Left is at war with the Right and the Right thinks it’s having a political discussion.”

Cleombrotus on August 26, 2013 at 8:04 PM

That sums it up in one short sentence better than any other I have read.

The Left’s objective is to completely destroy the Right. The Right thinks it’s all just political give and take within a system that is working as intended.

It is not working. It is severely, possibly irreparably, broken. The Founding Fathers would be appalled and aghast at what has happened in the US, at the size, reach, and power of the federal government.

farsighted on August 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Doesn’t Bill Whittle post here? I wonder (not really) what his take on this philosophy would be.

After watching his passionate and well-crafted ‘Afterburner’ videos on the subject, well… no, I don’t really wonder at all what his take would be.

AFTERBURNER w/ BILL WHITTLE: The Lynching

Midas on August 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM

bunch of pu$$ies.

dmacleo on August 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM

TURNING and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity

Yeats

sharrukin on August 26, 2013 at 10:00 PM

you are quick to say “why is the left so obsessed with talking about race??” when a white person commits a crime. but when a black or hispanic person commits a crime, you feel the need to endlessly talk about crime statistics among blacks and hispanics. it’s interesting how race is all of a sudden an important thing for you to talk about and yet it wasn’t before.
Sachiko on August 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I think you misunderstand the reason for this. Liberals have clearly manufactured a narrative about race. And there are a limited number of ways to respond to it. One of them is simply to point out the facts, to show how empty the narrative is. And one of the reasons for making note of these issues is to point to the real causes of so many crimes, which liberals seem to want to ignore.

and you also are quick to define people by race when you talk about “how can conservatives win the black vote” and “hispanic vote,” and you say things like “black people will like this” and “hispanic people won’t like that.” all this reinforces the left’s idea that conservatism is inherently a white thing and you have to pull other races into it. you criticize the left for dividing people up by race but you do it too sometimes.

Again…you misunderstand. Listen to Rush some morning. In fact all the conservatives I know object to this sort of pandering. You win by optimistically and genuinely explaining conservativism. As a matter of fact, I — and I think many other commenters — are appalled when Lindsey Graham or Marco Rubio say we have to do this so we can “take our message to Hispanics.” I have written the RNC about how misguided Priebus’s “autopsy” is. I don’t know of any conservative that likes this “community organizer,” “identity politics” approach. That’s simply not conservativism.

As a matter of fact, when I hear this from people, I know they are NOT conservative. I have never seen anyone here saying “Oh, let’s figure out how to appeal to more Saggitarians and Capricorns.” The message here — and the chief theme of the comments on this post — is there is nothing unprincipled about unabashed conservativism. Cruz, Lee, Sessions…they’re unafraid. And if I understand so many of the comments on this post, it’s not that they want to engage in this “tit-for-tat” exchange on race. It’s that they want to see a genuine conservative position articulated, whether it’s about race, taxes, Obamacare, amnesty for illegals…do you know how hard that is to find nowadays?

EastofEden on August 26, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Has HA bought in to THIS, be afraid be very afraid.

MontanaMmmm on August 26, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Conan on August 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Again, right on.

For some reason, this blazingly simple contemplation escapes the grasp of the Right. Or the challenge of the confrontation scares them. In either case, we go on losing.

rrpjr on August 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM

bluegill on August 26, 2013 at 9:38 PM

bluegill, sometimes you are someone I’d like to have coffee with, but too often you might get pushed off the pier. Anyone else ever call you “Sybil?”

arnold ziffel on August 26, 2013 at 10:19 PM

The only difference between OK, Spokane and Zimmerman is that Zimmerman defended himself.

John the Libertarian on August 26, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Midas, you are right on. Excellent video from Bill Whittle:

Ed Morrissey could learn from Whittle.

Would love to see Whittle become a HotAir regular, just as long as he isn’t told what he can and cannot say.

bluegill on August 26, 2013 at 10:22 PM

My, my – here’s another Bill Whittle video that’s a bit apropos…

Bill Whittle Racism Democrats and Republicans

Midas on August 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM

After all these years, it is amazing that so few on the right have not read Alinsky, nor Cloward and Piven, and not even Bill Ayers’ “Prairie Fire. All inspirations, mentors, for the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

When those who would seek to undermine the Constitution, replacing it with some concocted Fabian utopia, are left to do as they please, unchallenged, because one might be called a racist or too focused on race issues, then they have already won…and we, the People, lose.

Racial politics is fundamental to the current crop of progressives…they need to inflame, they need to use it as a crutch and a cudgel. They must.

Obama and his consorts have broadcast for years their intentions, and plans…and each time something happens along the lines they favor, no matter how detrimental it may be to the nation, when challenged by any on the right, such is cast aside as some sort of overreaction by those on the right.

Well, racism today in many many sectors of our society is alive and well, and thriving…our first post-racial President is anything but.

If I had a son…yeah,m right, Barry, your “son” would be a gay-bashing thug, gettin’ high, and thumpin’ on whitey…

When Blacks murder Blacks daily, we have to not over react, we are constantly told, because they are poor, have a difficult time adjusting to the decline in the economy, can’t find a good paying job, never went to college, or some other pap. Just start up another expensive and endless government program…midnight basketball or something…

When the MSM refuses to put Democrat next to the name of a fallen politician or corrupt politican, or say a perp is Black, or a criminal is Black, an assailant is Black, it merely reflects that the Left can do whatever they please, and the Right must STFU…because, well, they are bitter clingers, the enemy, a terrorist threat to the United States…as were our Founding Fathers.

If a black murders a white…and says it is “for Trayvon” then we must broadcast it from every pulpit or podium.

We must.

If we are to be held accountable for all the alleged sins of our fathers, then the Left must be held accountable for the actual wrongs they encourage….and race and racism is part and parcel to the means of achieving the goals of the Left…it always has been.

When Black conservatives are ridiculed, being Oreo, or Uncle Tom’s by “their” comminity…that, too, needs to be shouted from the rooftops…they are Americans, too, and if they wish to run from the plantation, we should encourage it at every turn.

My “fathers” never owned slaves, were dirt farmers from the day they arrived on these shores, and yet, I am told I am a person of privilege, that I and my own never experienced the heartache of poverty…yada yada.

Because?

I am white.

Turning the other cheek is a noble thing to do, in its right place…but even Jesus got p.o.’d and thrashed the money changers in the Temple.

Well, the race baiters and race hustlers in this Nation deserve no less…a good thrashing, driving them from the Temple is in order.

When you constantly turn the other cheek, all you end up with is sore cheeks…all four of them.

coldwarrior on August 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM

arnold ziffel on August 26, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Thanks! I get so much out of this comment section. Pincher Martin, flange and the rest are always so witty. Learn so much from all of you. All of you great commenters are what really make this site.

bluegill on August 26, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I believe Ed shows fire about his Catholicism.

I think it’s good he started this thread. He does not seem to understand the evil nature of leftards, however.

arnold ziffel on August 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I agree, but he’s not an alpha, yet!

arnold ziffel on August 26, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I found these in less than 2 minutes lol:

Hey bluegill, ever see Sybil?

tom daschle concerned on May 10, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Because you are dealing with a person with
Multiple Personalities.

Bluegill=Sybil

And I would dare say that Bluegill will NOT be happy anytime
soon about that.

Cruz and Palin are about as tight as two politicos can get..

…when their opponents view them, they usually see
two Fists coming at them at the same time…

ToddPA on August 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I think she’d be easier to deal with in person, but who knows for sure? :)

Anti-Control on August 26, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Ironically, Ed, if anything, it is you who are making a tu quoque argument in this particular post. You are trying to imply that because both white and black people do bad things, therefore it is somehow illegitimate, or a self-defeating argument, to highlight certain facts in the absence of certain other contextual critieria, subjectively chosen by you. Either facts are accurate or they are not. If the managers of the site make an editorial decision not to highlight certain facts for whatever reason, that’s up to them. But it is not a tu quoque fallacy to argue that certain facts are accurate.

This is a post about you and Pollak’s subjective editorial judgement, not logic. There is nothing wrong with a post about your editorial judgement, and maybe you were just trying to think of a cute headline with your use of ‘tu quoque,’ but subjective judgment and logic are two different things. Your false appeal to logic equates – whether intentionally or not – to a claim that anyone who disagrees with your subjective editorial judgments is behaving in a logically invalid manner.

WhatSlushfund on August 26, 2013 at 10:51 PM

AFTERBURNER w/ BILL WHITTLE: The Lynching

Midas on August 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Particularly nice end point, I’d say.

Cleombrotus on August 26, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Ahh, the mealy mouthed moderate mambo.

How’s that philosophy been working out the past few decades? The feminists seemed to have had no problem ignoring the contradiction in their support of Bill Clinton.

oryguncon on August 26, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Friggin cowardly douchebags … all of you.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on August 26, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Captain Ed,

what the heck has happened to you? You are no longer the same man from Captain’s Quarters. You used to speak out against injustice and obvious biases when it came to politics. Now, it just seems you just want a bigger gig somewhere.

Speak now or forever hold your peace.

njrob on August 26, 2013 at 11:12 PM

The principle objection to establishment Republicans is that they don’t share with the base the same sense of outrage and urgency about issues. They just won’t fight–whether the issue is race or healthcare or immigration. Democrat leaders, on the other hand, will go to war at the drop of a hat. Fighting fiercely is their default position. They’ll do whatever it takes. And they are relentless. When they lose, they keep coming back to an issue again and again until they win.

Ed reflects the timid sensibility of most GOP leaders right now. Implicit in his attitude is the notion we can’t win in the end so why even bother. But we should bother. We may indeed lose a fight–but not without first bloodying the other guy’s nose. The opposition should at least know the cost of going to war in the first place. Besides, we don’t always lose. Giuliani took on the race hustlers and won.

writeblock on August 26, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Hotair studiously ignores these stories for … over a week … and then pukes out this pathetic pile in order to try and excuse their cowardice and PC dipsh!ttedness in a little post sandwiched between 5 others on each side (like one of Barky’s Friday night press dumps). How ridiculous can you get?

Shameful, though we all knew this was what this site was about. This is an MSM adjunct. This is why most people don’t bother to read the bleating in the main posts (though we all hope that, at least, actual news is covered so that we can comment on it).

I can’t say I’m surprised. This is the same site whose main blogger declared in 2008 that he was very uncomfortable with the idea that Sarah Palin might be VP but felt good about such a smart and competent person like the Indonesian Imbecile being in the Oval Office. Yep. That was actually part of a post, here, in 2008. This place thought that Barky was an intelligent, talented, competent guy. I see the level of analysis and the courage at this place hasn’t changed one iota over the years. And that same blogger actually kept arguing that Barky was such a brain for quite a while … until Barky’s own mind-numbing stupidity finally became too much for even the cowards to try and argue and the blogger finally shut the hell up about it – though never apologized for having been such a douchebag.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on August 26, 2013 at 11:23 PM

If we can’t name the problem, how does it get fixed?

writeblock on August 26, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Because?

I am white.

coldwarrior on August 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM</blockquote

Came from the same place, CW, and could not have said it better or more eloquently.

TXUS on August 26, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Looks like Ed got a real good beating, for valid reasons.

Even Juan Williams is with O’Reilly on the race topic, and against all the race hucksters.

VorDaj on August 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM

This was very funny. One could say that the guests punish the host and the host punishes the guests in this thread…though the editors are not quite the owners, thus not the hosts either.

What a great gang you all are!

Schadenfreude on August 26, 2013 at 11:48 PM

So when the GOP tries center-right strategies, they are accused of being too much like Democrats. But when Pollak and Ed say they don’t want to be like Democrats and play the Race Game, they are being wusses.

We want to win, oh we really want to win again but this will not help. We try to point out the hypocrisy but who will hear us except ourselves? The MSM will not air the left’s dirty laundry and shouting about it on here is like an echo chamber.

The question is do we want to be like the Left?
The answer is no.

thebrokenrattle on August 26, 2013 at 11:59 PM

thebrokenrattle on August 26, 2013 at 11:59 PM

It’s the same thing. They adopt Democratic policies in the vain hope of being liked by the left. It never works and they never stop trying. This nonsense is the same tactic. Don’t point out the truth and maybe the left will respect you, or even give you a cookie.

John McCain tried it with his cheap outrage that someone used Obama’s middle name in 2008. Romney tried it with his Obama is a nice guy.

It got them precisely nothing from the left except well deserved contempt. Nobody likes a suck-up.

sharrukin on August 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Because?

I am white.

coldwarrior on August 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Ditto. My ancestors came over right before WWI from Europe to strive for a better life and to escape the violence that was about to happen in Europe.

I also grew up in a minority majority neighborhood where my family was the only white one around. Still doesn’t change the fact that Obama’s family gets racial preferences while mine gets discriminated against.

njrob on August 27, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I’m going to say something that you all don’t want to hear but it needs to be said. The crazies among you won’t understand but the more sane ones totally will.

Crimes happen every day. We all can agree on that. The ones that capture the national consience are the ones that involve a host of additional factors, those may be race, age, position, gender, etc.

The difference between the cases Ed mentions and the Trayvon Martin case or Jena 6 or other popular cases involving Black victims would be the apperance of an abscene of justice. In the cases Ed mentioned the guilty partys are caught, in jail and will receive their day in court for their crimes. There isn’t that “this is unfair” aspect that can be played into. Now the out rage over percieved lacks of justice can be traced to cases not that far in our countrys past when Whites were able to assault/kill Blacks and be found innocent in court rooms.

We can all agree criminals should be punished. I personally don’t support anyone who would harm another. As long as their giving fair and equal treatment in the justice system then I think the system is working. The majority of the time you see an Sharpton or a Jackson is when they are speaking out an injustice that they see. In the cases Ed mentioned I doubt there will be any legal injustices that occur, perceived or otherwise. Those people will get the punishments they deserve.

I blame the media for playing up the racial aspects of all these stories more than anything else. Remember this. Theres 350 some odd million people in America. Every day we all go to work together, kids go to school together, we hold doors open for each other, we lend a hand to thebold person crossing the street, we help keep our neighbors kids safe, etc. That is the everday America. These random stories about criminals being criminals aren’t an accurate representation of America. Go youtube “Mormons playing basketball in the hood” that’s the real America. People of different cultures/backgrounds coming together every day and just having a good time…now of course those things don’t make the news but I would gurantee that’s more common then any racial violence.

Now onto the Black community. There is no Black community, just as there is no White community. News Flash: Not all Black people know each other. I’m a Black man living in Salt Lake City. How am I responsible for what a Black person in Chicago does?

Now go ahead beat me up, call me names, that’s the beauty of the internet. But in realblife I’m going to continue to judge every person I meet on an individual bases and not be drawn into this stupid back and fourth where I allow others to make my choices for me.

You’re Asian? Cool. You’re White from Texas? Teach me to square dance. You’re moslem? Nice. Tell me about the Koran. You smoke? Hey knock your self out, just not in my car. You drink? Hey. Dont drink and drive. Were all more alike than were different. On a conservative site I sure see people blame the President for a lot of things indivisuals do. I say be the change that you want to see….

Politricks on August 27, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Apoligize for the typos. I posted that off my smart phone.

Hey HotAir. Where’s the Smartphone App?! Its 2013. Get with the game!

Politricks on August 27, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Politricks on August 27, 2013 at 12:59 AM

You win the internet, sir. We kill racism by basically leaving it alone to the point where race doesn’t matter.

thebrokenrattle on August 27, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Every day we all go to work together, kids go to school together….

Politricks on August 27, 2013 at 12:59 AM

I turned on you right there. It’s always the same when I’m being lectured by a white, naive, delusional person. You’re kids don’t go to school together, and you won’t play basketball in the hood. At best you’re uninformed, and at worst you’re a liar.

DFCtomm on August 27, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Politricks on August 27, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Here is what you’ll get when you ride your bicycle through the hood.

DFCtomm on August 27, 2013 at 1:40 AM