Grand Theft Auto blamed for 8 year old shooting grandmother

posted at 9:21 am on August 26, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

Unfortunately, we see too many of these stories every year, and the media keeps on eating them up with a spoon. This particular tragedy is tailor made for both those who want to ban guns and those who want to blame society’s ills on “violent video games.”

An 8-year-old boy allegedly shot and killed his grandmother Thursday evening after playing the “Grand Theft Auto” video game, CNN reports.

Marie Smothers, 87, was pronounced dead inside her Slaughter, La. mobile home with a gunshot wound to the head. Police initially thought the shooting was an accident, but now believe it was intentional.

“Although a motive for the shooting is unknown at this time, investigators have learned that the juvenile suspect was playing a video game on the Play Station III, ‘Grand Theft Auto IV,’ a realistic game that has been associated with encouraging violence and awards points to players for killing people, just minutes before the homicide occurred,” read the press release provided to CNN.

First, in terms of full disclosure, I’m a huge fan of GTA, so I don’t come to this story without some built in bias, I freely admit. I’ve played every game in the GTA series and finished them all to 100%. I’m also unapologetic about the rights of gun owners, so these sorts of media memes really get under my skin.

But while the story is tragic, there are more than a few questions which go unanswered here. First, how did the 8 year old get his hands on the gun? The responsibility lies with the owner in cases like that, unless some outsider came and interfered with her weapon storage plan. And if you have children in a home where there are guns, that comes with an added responsibility to educate them early and often so they grow up to be responsible around firearms.

But back to the story lede, there is another question which goes completely unmentioned. What was an 8 year old doing playing Grand Theft Auto? The game is rated M (for mature) and nobody is supposed to be able to purchase it unless they are 18 or older. Somebody bought that game for the boy or let him have access to it. (And all of that relies on the extremely questionable premise that playing “violent video games” leads to real world violence.) But even if you buy into that, manufacturers have responded to the public’s concerns and instituted a rating system. GTA is intended for adults. Somebody in that home dropped the ball. In the end, this is less a story about guns or games, and more of parental responsibility and good parenting.

Comments

If the 8-year-old had called his cousin to go bowling while falling out of a stolen helicopter and being shot by police… then they’d have a point.

TallDave on August 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM

End the acceptance of thug culture – white and black and hispanic. You will see a remarkable change in our Country.

Too bad we don’t have a black president to push for this.

Key West Reader on August 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Definitely a chicken and egg question to me. Do video games that rely on extreme violence affect society or does this violent society we live in lead to people creating these type of video games. Personally, I don’t see the attraction to these types of games, but then I’m 61 and grew up without them. I’m kind of thankful for that too.

Deano1952 on August 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Maybe the kid saw a Jim Carrey ad for Kick Ass2 and so Jim Carrey caused this shooting?

Flange on August 26, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Hey I know! Lets let the kid watch Friday the 13th and then when he stabs his grandmother well blame the movie creators and the knife manufacturers…

Skywise on August 26, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Spot on, JS. The child should have had access to neither the game, or the gun. Failure in supervision.

But the battle to eliminate guns and similar games will still go on. Too good of an opportunity to let slip by.

iurockhead on August 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM

No idea. I’ve never played GTA, but I’ve gone through enough violent games in my lifetime(including the absolutely incredible The Last of Us most recently) to know that there’s no way in hell my son is gonna be allowed to play any of them until he’s at least in junior high.

Granted my own experience is apples and oranges since when I was 8 years old, I received for X-Mas the just released Nintendo Entertainment System Deluxe Set which came packaged with the light gun and R.O.B. So games like Mortal Kombat, Doom, or Wolfenstein didn’t even come around til I was a teenager. But I do think it served me well playing Super Mario Bros. instead of first person shooters when I was at a more impressionable young age.

Doughboy on August 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Fan-TAS-tic CNN reporting … “The game is absolutely involved in the shooting but well never know for sure if it caused it!”

Skywise on August 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I blame the breakout of home gardening and co-op gardens on Farmville.

Murphy9 on August 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Was either one of the principles black?

No? Then no story.

davidk on August 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Pretty sure the failure of Detroit is because of the popularity of SimCity.

Murphy9 on August 26, 2013 at 9:39 AM

@TallDave: almost sprayed my coffee on the keyboard with that one!

cavguy on August 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I don’t know about anybody else, but I’m all killed out after a round of GTA or Doom or Robotron 2084…or Smash TV or Mortal Kombat….

Steve Eggleston on August 26, 2013 at 9:42 AM

The rash of littering is primarily due to Paper Toss™

Murphy9 on August 26, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I blame the fact that they live in Slaughter, LA. That alone is more violent than a poorly rendered animation sequence…

rustybubble on August 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Whether one believes that violent video games beget violence or not, I just can’t imagine why anyone would allow their 8-year-old to have in their head the kinds of visuals and experiences that first person shooter games so realistically convey.

SoRight on August 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM

It’s a wonder we have any birds left.

davidk on August 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Related flash-poll – what GTA station was your favorite?

I’m partial to V-ROCK.

Steve Eggleston on August 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM

SoRight on August 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Because it’s easier than actually watching and engaging with the child.

Flange on August 26, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Doughboy on August 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Let’s see now. When I was eight for Christmas I got an official Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and a thing which tells time. It was state of the art at the time. And I didn’t shoot my eye out either. A couple of years later I got my first real gun. A .22 bolt action rifle. I never once considered shooting my Grandmother.

Oldnuke on August 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM

People are just getting down right weird, in our area this week a man tried to drown/smother a nine year old girl in the ladies restroom of Best Buy and another guy pistol whipped an employee at Dunkin Donuts because he got vanilla/carmel instead of carmel/vanilla (depending on the story you read) in the wife’s coffee. And the wife is shouting, “shoot him!”

Cindy Munford on August 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM

There was a breakout of orbs eating ghosts in the ’80s.

Murphy9 on August 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Without even reading the story…without even reading any comments…I reacted against just the title in a totally disbelieving way. Don’t the parents who let this kid play this game (even if it WAS possible for it to be responsible…which its not) know that the game is for mature audiences only? That’s what the big M on the cover of the game means! Where is the parental responsibility for telling their child “NO! You can’t play that!”??? My girls (11yos now) have wanted to play something like GTA for a while now, because their friends played it, but I always tell them NO. IF I were to CHOOSE to let my children play an M rated game, it would ONLY be after I had played it extensively myself to see exactly what kind of “mature” content it contained. I am so sick of society blaming the “evils of video games” for stuff like this. I’m sorry, society, but video games and gaming is something a VERY great many people enjoy, and it is not responsible for behavior the same way rock and roll and comic books never were either.

Now, I’ll go back and read everything. Rant over. lol

Highlar on August 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Oldnuke on August 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Those were the days. Several Christmases would see me with my brand new pair of six shooters on my hips, cowgirl hat cocked at the correct bad azz angle clutching a brand new baby doll.

Cindy Munford on August 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Crazy, isn’t it? I remember back when I was a kid, all those satanic rituals I attended thanks to Doom II.

Of course, while I remember many nights of fun playing Doom II deathmatch, I don’t quite remember the satanic rituals. I surely must have gone to them though, because the media and Joe Lieberman were insistent that they were a thing.

Gingotts on August 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Turtles are now endangered because of plumbers stomping on them.

Murphy9 on August 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Where’s the parental responsibility? We never let our children play with such video games. This is an adult game.. it is not for children. It has graphic violence and nudity.

I do not want to see games banned. I am not for banning things. But who the heck lets their 8 year old sit down and play this kind of game?

JellyToast on August 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM

In Obama’s America all bad behaviour is the result of exterior forces in one’s environment. There is no such thing as personal responsibility.

Unless you are a white christian, wherein all your behaviour is bad and directly your responsibility.

Murphy9 on August 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Those were the days.
Cindy Munford on August 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Just for you Cindy, just for you.

Oldnuke on August 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Here are the real money quotes from the linked article:

Although police associated the killing with the video game, questions remain over the .38 caliber handgun used, which belonged to Smothers.

So the police have officially blamed the killing on the game and simply have “questions” over the gun. Interesting dilemma for the left. Do they blame the gun or the game?

Children under 10 are exempt from criminal responsibility in Louisiana, so the boy will not face any charges.

The kid will have problems for the rest of his life. I really hope he receives the help that he needs. Please pray for the entire family.

The rated-mature “Grand Theft Auto” series ranks among the most popular video games ever. The game is set in fictional cities, with the player encouraged to steal cars, shoot people, and earn points as they move up the criminal ladder.

One of the most popular video games ever, yet there is no corresponding uptick in stolen cars or homicide that equals the increase in popularity of this style of game. Interesting. People will always find a bogeyman that absolves individuals of taking responsibility.

weaselyone on August 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Not one single mention of the “parents”…?
Why is an 8 year old boy left with an elderly woman like that?
Someone that old is fortunate just to be able to use the bathroom alone and not a proper guardian for a child.
That’s like leaving a baby in the car just because the dog is there too.

NeoKong on August 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Gingotts on August 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Also interesting that Mallards are not on the endangered species list because of Duck Hunt.

weaselyone on August 26, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Too bad we don’t have a black president to push for this.

Key West Reader on August 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM

+100000000000000000

One of the few intelligent comments on this thread

NOMOBO on August 26, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Y’all have already asked the big question for me: How’d the 8 year old get his hands on a firearm?
Spawn was given GTA when he was 12-a gift from his dad-but prior to that he was only allowed to play games that had VERY defined good vs evil. He played military games. All GTA was for him was a release.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 26, 2013 at 10:06 AM

An 8 year old is not capable of knowing the difference. Their brain does not function correctly yet.

The blame is 100% with the deceased.

NEXT story.

TX-96 on August 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM

weaselyone on August 26, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Me and my brother keep trying to shoot the dog-yet I still adore cats and dogs.
Fraky.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM

TX-96 on August 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I knew at 8 that you don’t shoot people. From the time I was given my first toy fire arm, it was driven hope that you only point a weapon at something that you are prepared to kill.
If I pointed a a toy gun -excluding water pistols OUTSIDE-at a person/animal…my toy was taken away.
At 8-I knew the difference. I knew better.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 26, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Bingo!

It gets tiresome hearing about video games causing real violence. Jazz hit the bullseye…why does this 8 ear old have GTA in the first place? He didn’t grab his wallet and go to GameStop by himself. Just as with the toys in Happy Meals, blame goes to the makers of the game instead of the parent or guardian who buys it.

JetBoy on August 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I’m not quick to discount the effects the game had on an eight year old mind. The game could possibly alter the mind of a kid still figuring out what is right and wrong.

But the biggest issue I see is lack of guidance and supervision. Where are the parents? The article is saying the woman was his “current guardian” What does that mean? Another article says that the boy was released to his parents. Where were they when this happened? Too many questions…

Ditkaca on August 26, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I was going to ask, “how can you not supervise a child when in a mobile home”, but then I thought, “why does the grandmother have a playstation and GTA”. Now I am asking myself whether the child was being raised by the grandmother or is one or more parents living with (aka being supported by) the grandmother and how the heck old are they? The pic shows three vehicles outside the mobile home, but I don’t know what that represents wrt adults living there; there is no mention of parents in the story.

Dusty on August 26, 2013 at 10:19 AM

As a longtime fan of the GTA series, I gotta ask:

Just what the hell type of parent allows their 8-year old to have a copy of GTA? That’s incredibly irresponsible…

JohnGalt23 on August 26, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I would submit/guess that after a whole generation of our youth being exposed to, (and playing these “murder death kill” games for hours on end), a mentality that—at the end of the “game”—all they have to do is push the reset button and life begins anew. It is my fear that there’s a distinct gap/dysfunction in the child’s ability to distinguish between “the game” and reality. Killing in these games has become so prominent that “the player” focuses only on the death count, which is the reward. Again, my focus is on the age of the child and its emotional impact on the child’s ability to comprehend the difference between a game and real life. Do these kids really understand there’s no “reset button” outside the world of their games? The fact that an 8 year old had access to, and the ability to fire a gun is just mind-blowing. Parental responsibility and guidance had to certainly be lacking….in both cases.

Rovin on August 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM

[Ditkaca on August 26, 2013 at 10:18 AM]

Did you read that at the link? That page wouldn’t come up for me, so I dug it out from the main page of Business Insider and that info wasn’t in the BI article I found.

Dusty on August 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM

If the kid was caught trying to bike around town and gain respect from fictional gang leaders, then yes, we would blame GTA. As it stands, I’m more than merely inclined to believe that there are other factors at play, here.

mintycrys on August 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Related flash-poll – what GTA station was your favorite?

I’m partial to V-ROCK.

Steve Eggleston on August 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM

K-Rose from San Andreas. Better than country on the radio today.

topdawg on August 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I’m not going to rule out accident. The police are not saying why they believe it was intentional. We weren’t in the interrogation room.

Blake on August 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM

mintycrys on August 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Have you ever played GTA?

JohnGalt23 on August 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Cindy Munford on August 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM

LOL! I can totally see that! :)

Gingotts on August 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Obviously repressed memories, Gingotts. You should go drop a a dozen grand on a shrink to pull those out. Who knows what else you may find buried in there? Hey, you may know where Hoffa is buried!

GWB on August 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Dusty on August 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM

link

Ditkaca on August 26, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Rockstar Games is going to rue the day it decided to start including loaded handguns with each copy of Grand Theft Auto.

Kensington on August 26, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Related flash-poll – what GTA station was your favorite?

I’m partial to V-ROCK.

Steve Eggleston on August 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I liked the talk radio station. Richard Bastion knew how to deal with terrorists!

Kensington on August 26, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I can’t believe that no one has blamed the real culprit.

BUSH!!!

KMC1 on August 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM

GWB on August 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Dear God, I think there are repressed memories! A cemetery outside Kakariko village, and a creepy old gravedigger. And inside the tombs… no, not Hoffa… but zombies that did terrible, terrible things…

Gingotts on August 26, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Mindless liberals don’t believe in individual responsibility, so at every opportunity they must blame a third party (or society) for an act. This is just more of the same. GTA has been around for a long time now. It’s impossible to know if a game can inspire kids to kill and if they’d never be inspired to kill without such a game. If a kid is psycophatic to begin with the game will matter little. The psychopaths need to hang on and become Congressmen and PResident’s anway.

fatlibertarianinokc on August 26, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Millions and mullions of people, including me, have played GTA games for hours. They didn’t go shoot anyone for real.

This kid that had not been taught any values, and who lived somewhere with a non-secured firearm is practically a victim himself. I’ll bet the ranch it is a single parent household too.

Moesart on August 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I’ll bet the ranch trailer it is a single parent household too.

Moesart on August 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Perspective.

Shy Guy on August 26, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Is teen suicide the blame of Judas Priest/Ozzy in the 80′s or could it be something else? I regularly play GTA4 and havent killed anyone…yet :P .

ninjacoastie on August 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Moesart on August 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I also have played countless hours of GTA. And I, a fully grown and (reasonably) steady and balanced individual have, after some sessions, gotten in my car and had to audibly remind myself that I am no longer playing GTA, and using my car to run down pedestrians is not acceptable.

A well-made game (or movie), which GTA undeniably is, can have that profound of an effect on an adult. Now, take that game and play it for an 8-year old, who may well not even have a firm grasp on the concept of mortality.

I, for one, am shocked, and yet not surprised…

JohnGalt23 on August 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Have you ever played GTA?

JohnGalt23 on August 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I was just painting the whole of the sandbox crime genre with the broad strokes of the awful GTA/Saints Row knockoff brush is all.

Still, you can’t get me to touch Rockstar’s games anymore, especially after what they did to Remedy’s baby, and considering how Saints Row has basically become all the silly fun that GTA forgot how to have.

mintycrys on August 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Doughboy on August 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Agreed. The Last of Us was superb. Looking forward to GTA 5.

Kataklysmic on August 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Related flash-poll – what GTA station was your favorite?

I’m partial to V-ROCK.

Steve Eggleston on August 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM

KDST or Radio-X

JetBoy on August 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM

mintycrys on August 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Can’t speak to any other RockStar games. GTA is one of two video games I allow myself to play (Madden football being the other one).

But GTA is that good. So good that no 8-year old should be allowed to play it…

JohnGalt23 on August 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Agreed. The Last of Us was superb. Looking forward to GTA 5.

Kataklysmic on August 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Ditto and ditto…

My fave’s have always been the Splinter Cell series, GTA, and God of War.

JetBoy on August 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM

And Hitman.

JetBoy on August 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Related flash-poll – what GTA station was your favorite?

I’m partial to V-ROCK.

Steve Eggleston on August 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM

V-ROCK.

Steve Eggleston on August 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM

mintycrys on August 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I’m hopeful when I see so many here appear to be under 40 by their toy references. Personally, when I was 8 I received the official GI Joe Mercury Space Capsule, which I tragically left out one night for my father to step on in the middle of the night. Poor Joe slipped the bonds of Earth that night to touch the face of God, and thus ended the space program at my house.

teacherman on August 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM

That’s the truly pathetic thing in the whole issue; this type of crap is an adult “game”. (Actually, “adult” should also be in derisive quotes there.)

whatcat on August 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM

teacherman on August 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM

They probably missed that reference as they don’t recall the days when TV signed off.
Ever put your little green army guys on an electric football table, turned it on and watched the ensuing clash? Now, that’s entertainment!

whatcat on August 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM

My fave’s have always been the Splinter Cell series, GTA, and God of War.

JetBoy on August 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Ever play any of the Bethesda RPGs? (i.e. Fallout 3, Skyrim, etc.) I think you would like.

Kataklysmic on August 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM

TallDave on August 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Thread winner with the first post.

I play a lot of PS3, as does my child. We have my games and we have our games. GTA is one of my games and I don’t even play it when she’s in the room. She’s getting older and I’ve let her play or watch me play some rated- M stuff, including the Telltale “Walking Dead” game, but only after I’ve played it first. The sexual content in GTA will keep her from playing it until she’s old enough to buy it. Plenty of parental failure all around in this one.

Dukeboy01 on August 26, 2013 at 12:36 PM

By all means, blame everyone who is not responsible for such tragedies: guns, gun owners, properly classified video games; just don’t blame people for their lax attention to responsibilities. That would be so, so, soooooo judgmental.
I ask: why is an 87-year old burdened with the care of an eight year old. People at that age are not energetic and many times severely restricted in their physical activities.
Blame the really irresponsible!

ExpressoBold on August 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Kataklysmic on August 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Those I haven’t played…but heard both are good.

JetBoy on August 26, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I also have played countless hours of GTA.
JohnGalt23 on August 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Should those who produce such violent imagery be subject to higher taxes?

whatcat on August 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I also have played countless hours of GTA.
JohnGalt23 on August 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Should those who produce such violent imagery be subject to higher taxes?

whatcat on August 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Just askin’ in general – Biden suggested that awhile back, not my idea. If I had my druthers they’d all be banned from production.

whatcat on August 26, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I’m calling b.s. on the whole story.

John the Libertarian on August 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Too bad we don’t have a black president to push for this.

Key West Reader on August 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM

The only aspect of our culture that accepts the thug culture is degenerates which we cannot control. We cannot control the degenerates because we have no cultural weapons to bring them into line. We used to be able to deny them money from charity. We used to be able to force parents to raise children in a mother/father household, because we did not freely give money to welfare queens and shat help they got also came with lots of advice and shunning. The destruction of the family began with Social Security giving people the security of being able to enslave other people’s children and be given the first 15.3 of their labor.

That then came with a major push for divorce.
Divorce made marriage no longer about the welfare of children.
Since Marriage was no longer about protecting children, then came the need for abortion so that children would not entangle the adults into permanent relationships, even if they got divorced.
As more and more children were raised in single parent households, the left had free reign to take control of the schools, as fewer and fewer parents had the time or desire to ensure the education of their children, they always had access to other people’s successful children.
Raising children right became optional to having a secure life in old age.
All these single mother households were given welfare for life. With no incentive to get jobs.
Single Parent Households, particularly those without a father figure end up raising belligerent children who never mature.
This means, that so long as welfare exists, you can never get a handle on the thug life. As there are no peer points to change their lifestyles for the better.
So long as social security exists, the destruction of the family will remain in effect.
So long as the destruction of the family is in effect, we will never get the votes to repeal social security or the welfare state.
So long as the welfare state and social security are present in our nation, we will never get back control of our schools.

Enjoy the rewards of socialism.

astonerii on August 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM

whatcat @ 12:10

I most definitely did!! I also remember those vibrating football games as being perhaps my first “WTF, you can’t be serious!” moment.

teacherman on August 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM

whatcat @ 12:10

teacherman on August 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM

:D

But still good fun.

whatcat on August 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Whatcat, thanks for the link. That brought back memories.

teacherman on August 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM

That brought back memories.
teacherman on August 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM

There are quite a few elec table football enthusiasts around and some fun videos in YouTube.

NFL Super Bowl (1986 Electric Football Game)

1969 Tudor NFL Electric Football Model 620

whatcat on August 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Damn good question considering Saints Row “PWNZ” Grand Theft Auto.

Alberta_Patriot on August 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM

astonerii on August 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM

The left began there long march through the schools well before Social Security and single parent households were a gleam in anyone’s eyes.

Horace Mann began the Boston Day schools in the 1850′s and implemented age segregated classrooms. It was more cost efficient this way. You can track the “generation gap” across the U.S. as other areas implemented his classroom reform. Horace Mann was an early socialist.

John Dewey, an avowed socialist, founded Columbia Teachers College in the 1890′s and trained teachers to be social change agents. Their role was the indoctrination and production of ‘citizens’ that would follow the will of the state. The teaching of reading, writing and math was not the major criterion for being a teacher in his epistomology. He understood that those that can read & think for themselves cannot be controlled. Nearly every teacher college (education program) opened since then is based on his philosophy and methodology of training teachers. We lost education over a 100 years ago. The long march through education is now complete except for the Home Schooling movement. If the progressives are not unseated then look for the Home Schooling movement to become outlawed first in the blue states then the purple states and finally even in the Red states.

chemman on August 26, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Sad, sad story. Too bad the grandmother didn’t have the weapon secured while the child was present. Little eyes see a lot more than you think.

Kissmygrits on August 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Last time I checked GTA had cartoon-style cell shaded graphics. Hardly what I would refer to as “a realistic game”.

JadeNYU on August 26, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Rovin on August 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Yup. And violent games are reportedly used to desensitize military prior to combat. I bet even teens don’t really comprehend the finality of shooting someone after being exposed to dozens? hundreds? thousands? of gaming deaths, erased at the touch of a button.

talkingpoints on August 26, 2013 at 6:39 PM

JadeNYU on August 26, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I can’t think of any edition of Grand Theft Auto that used a cell-shaded style. Certainly Grand Theft Auto IV attempted a realistic approach.

Kensington on August 26, 2013 at 6:58 PM