The move to defund “Obamaphones”

posted at 3:31 pm on August 25, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

Nolan Finley, writing for the Detroit News, is making the case this week for setting an example in defunding wasteful entitlement programs by axing the “Obamaphone.” He refers to the $2.1 billion annual program providing free cell phones to low income individuals who qualify for other federal assistance so that they can seek and obtain work, contact family members or dial for emergency help. But the program is widely known to be fraud riddled, with an estimated 40% of phones going to the ineligible. So why hasn’t it been scrapped or at least overhauled?

So why hasn’t it been axed? Because federal spending programs rarely die, and are even more rarely reformed.

Every dollar the government spends has a constituency. In this case, the private companies providing the phones are perversely motivated to ignore eligibility requirements — the more phones they pass out, the more money they make. The recipients of the phones are voters, and the administration has no incentive to alienate its own voters to save such a piddling amount as $2.1 billion.

For evidence of precisely how corrupt this boondoggle has become, he points to the experiences of National Review writer Jillian Kay Melchior, who managed to obtain not one, but three phones in short order, without lying about her status in any way and while being completely ineligible. Be sure to read her story.

Confession: You’re paying my phone bill.

In the past month, I have received three shiny new cell phones, courtesy of American taxpayers, that should never have fallen into my hands…

My first task was figuring out where to register. The rule of thumb is that wherever you can sign up for food stamps, you can apply for an Obamaphone.

Representatives from SafeLink and Assurance, two of the leading New York Lifeline vendors, stand outside the food-stamp offices, paired like Mormon missionaries, young and polite and earnest. They carry electronic tablets and ask all passersby whether they’ve received their free phone “yet” — as if it were an inevitability.

While checking into this “Lifeline” program for myself, I found that it does indeed predate President Obama by a long shot. (This is one complaint of liberals who complain that questions regarding the program are partisan nonsense and there’s nothing to see here.) It started in the 80′s, but it really kicked into high gear in 2008 when cell phones were added.

The other, almost laughable argument comes from staunch administration defenders who say that it isn’t even a taxpayer funded program in the first place.

Q: Has the Obama administration started a program to use “taxpayer money” to give free cell phones to welfare recipients?

A: No. Low-income households have been eligible for discounted telephone service for more than a decade. But the program is funded by telecom companies, not by taxes, and the president has nothing to do with it.

Advanced students will see something wrong with this answer right off the bat. Did you catch it? The program is “funded by telecom companies.” Really? You mean the telecom giants are so concerned about helping people and heedless of profits that they’re just giving away phones and service programs because they’re such a nice bunch of guys and gals? When you stop laughing, you can read on to see exactly how the telecoms are “funding the program.” The money comes from a tax imposed on every service contract sold in the country. While it’s true that not every single person in the country has a cell phone and a contract, that’s like saying that highway programs paid for by that extra money you pay for every gallon of gas aren’t “taxpayer funded.” It’s a gas tax. And the fact that not every single person drives does not make it less of a tax.

It’s a valid question which could be addressed during the coming budget battles. If you can’t come up with a way to fix the program, scrap it. And then start on the bazillion other programs which fall into the same category.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Yet a another program ment to help those that fell on hard times, taken advantage of and abused, leaving people hating everything and everyone involved in said program.

watertown on August 25, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I scratched out my bishop on my obamaphone

NOMOBO on August 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Live like a slave, in case you mention President Reagan.

Schadenfreude on August 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM

The left has a machine, we pay for it.

rob verdi on August 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Admit, tradesman things need a faster connection. Gimme a faster connection admit, I deserve it!

NOMOBO on August 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I’ve got a very basic T-Mobile plan. Bought a $100 cell phone (not a smartphone) 3 years ago, and have a $100 1000 minutes per year (unused minutes roll over) plan. Very simple and just what you’d need for job searching & emergencies. Anything more than that on such a program is a waste.

rbj on August 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Classic…she and Jeantel are incredibly symbolic of our times.

Schadenfreude on August 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM

OBAMA WORLD

1. According to one recent survey, “four out of five U.S. adults struggle with joblessness, near poverty or reliance on welfare for at least parts of their lives”.

2. The growth rate of real disposable personal income is the lowest that it has been in decades.

3. Median household income (adjusted for inflation) has fallen by 7.8 percent since the year 2000.

4. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the middle class is taking home a smaller share of the overall income pie than has ever been recorded before.

5. The home ownership rate in the United States is the lowest that it has been in 18 years.

6. It is more expensive to rent a home in America than ever before. In fact, median asking rent for vacant rental units just hit a brand new all-time record high.

7. According to one recent survey, 76 percent of all Americans are living paycheck to paycheck.

8. The U.S. economy actually lost 240,000 full-time jobs last month, and the number of full-time workers in the United States is now about 6 million below the old record that was set back in 2007.

9. The largest employer in the United States right now is Wal-Mart. The second largest employer in the United States right now is a temp agency (Kelly Services).

10. One out of every ten jobs in the United States is now filled through a temp agency.

CW on August 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Dammit the stupid keyboards on these things don’t even work right. You selfish conservatives won’t even give me a new galaxy s4 , or I phone 5

NOMOBO on August 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM

“…the $2.1 billion annual program…”

That’s like a lunch tab for these profligate D.C. clowns.

When are Lois Lerner and Sarah Ingram going to prison?

locomotivebreath1901 on August 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Can we at least limit them to one Obamaphone per person?

slickwillie2001 on August 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Its a Reagan program that conservatives did not care about until they saw a black woman say “Obama phones” on a video. This is so transparent….

libfreeordie on August 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

The left has a machine, we pay for it.

rob verdi on August 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Global and local redistribution of wealth and reparations, in disguise…only for the blind.

Who are the real dummies? The taxpayers and the sheepleton. The latter erroneously believe that their masters care about them.

Said masters live like barons, fooling the fools, keeping them in modern day plantations, for votes only. Be fooled sheepleton.

Schadenfreude on August 25, 2013 at 3:46 PM

libfree,
still pushing the talking points, well good for you. Maybe you should read the whole post next time.

rob verdi on August 25, 2013 at 3:47 PM

This is so transparent….

libfreeordie on August 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Diversion swine, I beat you to the punch. See link, above, and what all President Reagan did for the blacks, especially compared to obama.

Schadenfreude on August 25, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Polly wanna cracker?

You’re tiresome. It is not the same as when Reagan was President you dishonest sexual deviant.

CW on August 25, 2013 at 3:47 PM

libfreeordie on August 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I don’t think Reagan gave a cell phone to anyone. Also, the Obama administration has greatly expanded the program. Reagan wasn’t even alive when this happened.

Corporal Tunnel on August 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM

So Libfreakily-

You’re all good with NAFTA right? And the AFGHAN war right?

CW on August 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM

libfreeordie on August 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I don’t think Reagan gave a cell phone to anyone.

Corporal Tunnel on August 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM

ROFLMAO at the pervert.

CW on August 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Axing the “Obamaphone”? Axing it what?

Howard Portnoy on August 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM

libfreeordie on August 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

If it’s a republican program, you and the rest of the left won’t have any problems if the GOP kills it, right?

Right?

Rebar on August 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM

libfreeordie on August 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Really so until that video people did not care? Care to put a bet on that?

Pathetic POS.

CW on August 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM

“Yeah, but when do we get our free ObamaCars?”

– /Average Retarded American Serf

“You have a right to a car.”

– /Average Retarded POTUS and Constitutional Scholar

ShainS on August 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Right?

Rebar on August 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Libfreakily is getting shredded. Ouch.

CW on August 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Can we at least limit them to one Obamaphone per person?

slickwillie2001 on August 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM

That wouldn’t be fair. I understand that there are quite a few people out there making a living out of obtaining these phones on a bulk basis, illegally of course, and reselling them on the black market. Uncaring people like you would throw this entire segment of the population out of their chosen profession.

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM

liblikeaslave, admit, you admire President Reagan for having done more for blacks than obama ever will.

Schadenfreude on August 25, 2013 at 3:52 PM

libfreeordie on August 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Are you sure she’s black? She looks pretty light to me. I think she may be a white hispanic, but I’m no expert.

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 3:53 PM

IF we can’t cut or eliminate a small program like this, we have no hope for the bigger fraud infested programs.
If this program ended tomorrow, an energetic group of volunteers would start a charity, collect used cell phones and donations for minutes and start handing them out to the needy. Americans are pretty generous when they’re not taxed to death.

hopeful on August 25, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Can we at least limit them to one Obamaphone per person?

slickwillie2001 on August 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I guess that’s one way to get a disposable phone if you are organizing a TEA Party event and you don’t want the NSA to know about it.

slickwillie2001 on August 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Schadenfreude on August 25, 2013 at 3:52 PM

George Wallace did more for black folk than Obama ever will.

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Funny thing is : She’s learned. Look it up . She admits he’s a fraud.

CW on August 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM

lowinformationperfesser on August 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I’m still not quite sure what she said, sounded kind of like ‘you’n git bam pho! you’n soshy, you’n git bam pho, y’no?”

slickwillie2001 on August 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM

libfreeordie on August 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Ummm.. We knew about this b4 the obamaphone lady.

Also, we don’t support everything he did, we support his principles. Are you on the amnesty threads reminding us about simpson-mizolli? What is this?

blockchords on August 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Axing the “Obamaphone”? Axing it what?

Howard Portnoy on August 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I have to say this is my least favorite mutilation of the English language. Like fingernaails on a black board. “Liberry” and “Valentimes day” are close behind.

hopeful on August 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Funny thing is : She’s learned. Look it up . She admits he’s a fraud.

CW on August 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM

That clinches it then definitely a white hispanic.

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Axing the “Obamaphone”? Axing it what?

Howard Portnoy on August 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM

But LOL at the pun.

hopeful on August 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Schadenfreude on August 25, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Like a Slave should give up and throw in the towel. You’re inside the Like a Slave’s head. lol!

I admire your style very much, Paladin. :)

thatsafactjack on August 25, 2013 at 3:58 PM

According to one calculation, the number of Americans on food stamps now exceeds the combined populations of “Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming.”

Obama’s world.

CW on August 25, 2013 at 3:59 PM

From the headline thread

Why is this program even called Obamaphones instead of Reaganphones?
libfreeordie on August 25, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Think of the old rhyme.
The dems made a machine,
Reagan made it go,
And Oboobi blew it all apart

If Reagan had to do it over again, he wouldn’t have made lifeline go, nor the 86 amnesty or the EECMA or whatever it’s called that forces hospitals to treat patients regardless of ability to pay. It’s not like hospitals weren’t doing it already but by codifying it, it led us to now Oboobi blowing healthcare all apart like every single other thing he touches. Name one, just one thing made better under his anti-midas admin.

AH_C on August 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM

True story: I have an acquaintance who admitted he got an Obamabotphone and was so frustrated cause it was cheaply made. Guess what he did–went and BOUGHT HIMSELF AN Iphone. Square that circle will ya…

hillsoftx on August 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM

In the year 2000, the ratio of social welfare benefits to salaries and wages was approximately 21 percent. Today, the ratio of social welfare benefits to salaries and wages is approximately 35 percent.

Obama’s world.

CW on August 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM

libfreeorgan on August 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

…dumbazz!…everybody knew you were coming…when you only commented on the Nolan Finley thread in the headlines!…you put the ‘dumb’ in dumbphuck!

KOOLAID2 on August 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Name one, just one thing made better under his anti-midas admin.

AH_C on August 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM

His golf score. No one says anything now when he shaves strokes.

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM

transparent….

libfreeorgan on August 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

….yep!

KOOLAID2 on August 25, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Amazing.

Cleombrotus on August 25, 2013 at 4:02 PM

you put the ‘dumb’ in dumbphuck!

KOOLAID2 on August 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM

If I lived anywhere near New York I’d make it my goal to find out where he teaches and sign up for one of his classes. That’s assuming he’s not lying about being a teacher…which is a huge assumption.

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM

In 2011

the food stamp program (officially known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP) cost taxpayers $72 billion, more than double the $30 billion spent four years ago.

Success!!!

CW on August 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I have a Tracphone. I paid $29 for it because it came with a “double minutes for life” plan. I add about 120 minutes a month to it (minutes are forever if you don’t use them) for another $20.

I also bought my teenage daughter one. All I need mine for is for calling a cab, and being able to check in at home or have my family call me if they need something. It’s also handy for use when my daughter and I visit a large store, etc so we can keep in touch rather than search all over for each other.

I also use it as my alarm clock. BUT……. I don’t need a data plan, or voice mail, or texting. All I need it for is to make and receive calls. At home, I still use a landline because I also get my DSL through it.

I honestly don’t get why everyone needs these “smart” phones. It seems to me that nothing online or at your office is so important that you need to stay tethered to it 24/7.

TKindred on August 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Amazing.

Cleombrotus on August 25, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Big government enables them. Help cripple them. Ultimately, it’s on them but this has gotten out of hand.

CW on August 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM

hopeful on August 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Try “Likeded it”, as in ” I liked it”

Cleombrotus on August 25, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I will state the obvious…liberals suck…they pervert everything they touch….especially the truth….

crosshugger on August 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Axing the “Obamaphone”? Axing it what?

Howard Portnoy on August 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM

…good to SEE YOU!

KOOLAID2 on August 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM

libfreeordie on August 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

- lying about your opponent’s motives — check
- ignoring the facts of the program — check
- creating a false narrative — check
- dismissing opposing arguments based on the above — check

Paul-Cincy on August 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM

VI know a number of homeless young guys. It’s amazing to me. Can’t hold a job, not interested in getting out of their situation, but they all somehow manage to have a cell phone.

Amazing.

Cleombrotus on August 25, 2013 at 4:02 PM

And apparently someplace to plug it in?

Try “Likeded it”, as in ” I liked it”

Cleombrotus on August 25, 2013 at 4:08 PM

New one on me. Just as bad.

hopeful on August 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Name one, just one thing made better under his anti-midas admin.

AH_C on August 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM

His golf score. No one says anything now when he shaves strokes.

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Even at that, he regularly calls Valerie to ask her which club to use.

slickwillie2001 on August 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Libfree you’re lower than a troll. I suspect you’re letting one of your “young” friends post under your nic again. Right?

CW on August 25, 2013 at 4:14 PM

And apparently someplace to plug it in?

Try “Likeded it”, as in ” I liked it”

Cleombrotus on August 25, 2013 at 4:08 PM

New one on me. Just as bad.

hopeful on August 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Internet Cafes, McDonald’s, your house; they’re always plugging them in wherever they settle, it’s become part of their survival skills.

Yeah, it drives me up a wall. “Likeded it”.

Cleombrotus on August 25, 2013 at 4:15 PM

libfreeordie on August 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Cell phones weren’t a part of the program in the 80s and weren’t even in common use. Who cares about Obama, the program is out of control, this is wasted money we’re talking about, not your obsession with one man.

Daemonocracy on August 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

TKindred on August 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM

That’s what I said too back before I retired. My company saw things differently though and had a second phone line installed for me and paid the monthly bill for it. They also provided me with a nationwide pager. The only time that I could actually get away was if I went into the hospital or conveniently forgot my pager when I went on vacation. I’m sure that these days they provide cell phones and probably some other little tech toys.

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM

“Liberry” and “Valentimes day” are close behind.

hopeful on August 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I always get books from the Liberry. I try so hard to say library like a normal person but if Im not thinking about it, I say Liberry naturally.

thebrokenrattle on August 25, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Even at that, he regularly calls Valerie to ask her which club to use.

slickwillie2001 on August 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I wonder if she calls his favorite club “Reggie” — for when he’s teeing it up in the fairway — it being The Driver and all …

ShainS on August 25, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM

What’s sad is the other day I was walking downtown and passed a local eatery that had cafe tables outside. there were about a dozen folks eating at them, and every single one of them was sitting there, head down, staring at their smart phones.

No one was talking, no conversations, laughter, etc. It was a lovely sunny day, a nice breeze and yet these folks, rather than enjoy their companions and the weather, had buried themselves in some stupid text, or game, or link, etc.

What a waste of education and humanity.

TKindred on August 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM

This is so transparent….

You want “transparent”?

The early August Gallup Poll showed conclusively just how miserable a failure O’bama has been as pResident. Let’s look at those numbers…

Approval of handling of economy: 35%

Approval of handling of foreign affairs: 40%

Approval of handling of education: 49%

Approval of handling of the budget deficit: 26%

Approval of handling of immigration: 39%

Approval of handling of taxes: 36%

Approval of handling of health care: 39%

Approval of handling of terrorism: 50%

Approval of handling of race relations: 51%

And that final question shows a decline from the last time this poll came out 3 years ago.

If a Republican President had this kind of a report card, you would call that President a miserable and total failure.

Unless that President wasn’t white, of course!

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Huh……. don’t know how I managed to quote myself too. :)

Sorry about that.

TKindred on August 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Corporal Tunnel on August 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Cell phones didn’t even really come into existence until the early 1980s, and were terribly pricey then, as well as having a host of other issues. libfree’s admitting the lack of a credible response so is blaming said lack of credible response on The Enemy. Alinsky would be proud.

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM

TKindred on August 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM

They’re toys.

And it’s in the majority of cases ego gratification due to poor self-image.

I mean who needs to spend $900 for a phone?

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Yep, saw it for myself a few months ago, i received a text message saying that $9.75 had been put in my account from the something something low income program (can’t remember exactly what they called it but they obviously didn’t call it obama phone) and that i would be receiving $9.75 every month from there on out. I thought it was a scam so i went to my account on my phone carriers site and lo and behold, that $9.75 had indeed been credited to my account.

I sent an email to my phone carrier to tell them i shouldn’t have received it and a few days later i got a reply saying no, i shouldn’t have received it but that i could keep the $9.75 that i already had, so hey, thanks for the $9.75 taxpayers.

clearbluesky on August 25, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Blacks traded one plantation for another.
That coupled with the thug culture and the lack of parental responsibility among black males that is encouraged and you have a permanent underclass. It really is sad.
When “wife” has been replaced by “baby momma” you really have lost a class of people.

There has to come when collectively American blacks need to look at what they have made and say, “Enough!”.

Bubba Redneck on August 25, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Yeah, the guy who thought that ups was a Communist lib genius. And we all keep repeating it like robots and it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy.

Just like “boycotts don’t work.” Sure they do. The government does them all the time and they work. If you don’t obey DC.. they cut off your funding.
Even back in the 30′s Hollywood cleaned up it’s act after churches across America signed pledges to stop going. But we don’t’ hear about those success stories because “boycotts don’t work.”

Heck.. we’re all telling ourselves now we have only “one last chance to stop obamaCare.” Why? Because everybody knows once it takes effect…”federal programs never die.”

Dems never think like that.

JellyToast on August 25, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Correction: Even land line contracts have this fee. I know — it’s part of the set of fees which add nearly $20 to my landline phone contract every month. There appear to be two charges relating to Obamaphones — the “Federal Universal Service Fund Fee” — $1.64, and the “Federal Subscriber Line Charge Fee” — $6.50. Together, those are more than 10% of my bill.

unclesmrgol on August 25, 2013 at 4:53 PM

TKindred on August 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM

They’re toys.

And it’s in the majority of cases ego gratification due to poor self-image.

I mean who needs to spend $900 for a phone?

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2013 at 4:50 PM

iPhones are way cheaper.

clearbluesky on August 25, 2013 at 4:52 PM

You’re welcome. Do not spend it all in one place unless bacon is involved.

Bubba Redneck on August 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Unless that President wasn’t white, of course!

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Oh no, if he was a Republican and not white they’d call him a lot worse than miserable total failure. Nothing worse than a traitorous black conservative. They’ve got special names for them. We can’t use them or we’d be banned.

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Now we know how liveslaveandeat**** earns some of his money.

either orr on August 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Alinsky would be proud.

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Not really. Alinsky actually hates blacks and homosexuals. He just uses them to his own ends. Once the revoltingsolution is over he plans to march them to the camps.

I just made that up of course. In other words I have no idea if it’s true or not but it fits my program so I’m going with it. Isn’t that what they do?

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 5:01 PM

You’re welcome. Do not spend it all in one place unless bacon is involved.

Bubba Redneck on August 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Heh, will do.

clearbluesky on August 25, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I mean who needs to spend $900 for a phone?

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2013 at 4:50 PM

iPhones are way cheaper.

Bubba Redneck on August 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Cheapest iPhone now is $450. The “old” iPhone 4, unlocked (You can also get it for free but have to sign a 2 year contract).

Let me rephrase the question:

“I mean who needs to spend $450 for a phone?”

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2013 at 5:06 PM

libfreeordie on August 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Clueless f*ck is still clueless. F*ck off and die you piece of shit.

Midas on August 25, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM

But Harry Belafonte can call them those names, and be worshiped by the Left for doing so.

Which is almost as sad as the Left formally charging one of them, Colon Powell, with “War Crimes” at The Hague while he worked for The Smirking Chimp, but then immediately embracing that very same War Criminal Colon Powell, simply because he voted for their Pie-Eyed Piper in 2008 and again in 2012.

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Now we know how liveslaveandeat**** earns some of his money.

either orr on August 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Yes, but to be fair, replacing all of those worn out gimp outfits has to be expensive.

Midas on August 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM

“I mean who needs to spend $450 for a phone?”

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2013 at 5:06 PM

The answer is “No one needs to.” However I can afford it and I choose to. Quite different scenario there.

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM

“I mean who needs to spend $450 for a phone?”

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2013 at 5:06 PM

They really are pretty useful, internet, email, navigation, camera, music, netflix and so on. iPhones have always had Apple’s office suite available and windows phones now have MS Office, they really are handy devices.

clearbluesky on August 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Midas on August 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Nah, he gets most of them from a Herb Tarlek yard sale.

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 5:13 PM

clearbluesky on August 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM

What I find mine most useful for and what I use it for more than anything else is reading books. I’m a prolific reader and with the iPhone I read more now than at any other time in my life. It’s like having a library in my hand. I thought the text size would be a problem but that turns out not to be the case. I love the thing for reading.

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Midas on August 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Nah, he gets most of them from a Herb Tarlek yard sale.

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I stand corrected.

Midas on August 25, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Same here, i always keep at least a dozen books on mine, best thing about e-books is that they hardly take up any space at all in the phones memory.

clearbluesky on August 25, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Kicked into high gear? That’s understatement. Going from a few million to a couple billion?

Confession time….. as a caseworker I encouraged my clients to get the life line. Back then.. it was $10. a month and you only got local service. It was for landlines only. No cell phones and you didn’t get 10 different landlines of you wanted.
It was meant as a program for low income people so they’d be able to call their doctor, that kind of thing.
I resigned some well into 2009 so this hadn’t kicked off that much yet.

JellyToast on August 25, 2013 at 5:25 PM

“Liberry” and “Valentimes day” are close behind.

hopeful on August 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM

thebrokenrattle on August 25, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Not knowing the difference between ‘sale’ and ‘sell’ grinds my teeth. Like a posting on CList that says ‘Must Sale Car Today’.

slickwillie2001 on August 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM

“I mean who needs to spend $450 for a phone?”

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Hey, I can afford the $900 iPhone right now. Still don’t have one.

A phone is a phone to me. I don’t need to have it have a thousand other bells and whistles, such as a tiny built-in camera that produces dubious-quality pictures, and I don’t need my phone to tell me where I am. I have other things for those jobs. And my not having such a device has never hindered me in the business I own-I have all the work I can handle, and none of it is the result of having a $450 phone. It could be argued that “smart” phones are nothing more than glorified Swiss Army Knives.

(Ducks for cover)

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2013 at 5:33 PM

And apparently someplace to plug it in?

The Lady at the Package Store I used to visit when I lived in Connecticut made me once go and chase off a homeless guy who had plugged his cell phone charger into the other receptacle where the ice machine was plugged into outside her store.

Johnnyreb on August 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Reparations.

Key West Reader on August 25, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Reparations.

Key West Reader on August 25, 2013 at 5:46 PM

The funniest thing about this post is the fact that Black Americans remain slaves to the Democrat Party.

/Partay!

Key West Reader on August 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM

“A BILLION here, a BILLION there, pretty soon you’d be talking REAL MONEY!”

GarandFan on August 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM

(Ducks for cover)

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2013 at 5:33 PM

:-) What are you ducking for? You just supported my point! It’s a matter of choice. I choose to buy something with my money and you choose not to. Nothing wrong with that now is there? You can come out now :-)

Oldnuke on August 25, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I sort of equate Ms. Melchiore’s story with those stories about voter fraud. When you talk to a Democrat about voter fraud, it’s always that there isn’t any. If you sight and example it’s an anomaly. I’m sure they feel the same way about Obamaphones, there’s no fraud here and, even if there was you can’t prove it.

bflat879 on August 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM

>you admire President Reagan for having done more for blacks than obama ever will.

Yeah, I’m sure he was especially appreciated for kicking off his 1980 campaign in Philadelphia, MS, with a speech about “states rights”.

Or maybe talking about “strapping young bucks” and “welfare queens”.

Or maybe it was trying to get ketchup classified as a vegetable in the school lunch program.

Or maybe when he fought to have taxpayer dollars go to segregated schools like Bob Jones University.

Lordy, lordy.

Schadenfreude, don’t make me post quotes from you from this past campaign season to underscore how extremely stupid you are.

inklake on August 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM

The move to defund “Obamaphones”

Read the headline and thought maybe the House GOP was introducing a bill to defund this scam.

As it turns out, there’s no there there.

Dr. ZhivBlago on August 25, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Reparations.

Key West Reader on August 25, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Give the poor a million bucks and then close down all welfare agencies and programs.

JellyToast on August 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM

libfreeordie on August 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Most of us didn’t know about it till then. And she claimed to have “at least thirty” of them.

Can your “brain” comprehend the fraud here? Or is it just too difficult?

Squiggy on August 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM

-snip-

how extremely stupid you are.

inklake on August 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM

There are critics who claim that Reagan gave his 1980 presidential campaign speech, about states’ rights, in Philadelphia, Mississippi. This also happens to be the place where three civil rights workers were killed in 1964. However, despite the critics’ claims, Reagan had actually given it at the Neshoba County Fair, in the unincorporated community of Neshoba, Mississippi, seven miles away. It was a popular campaigning spot, as presidential candidates John Glenn and Michael Dukakis both campaigned there as well.

You might want to have one of your teenaged friends readjust the “Stupid” sign hanging on your back.

F-

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM

F-

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Willful ignorance is worse than stupid. But when you combine it with stupid you get the perfect progressive.

Squiggy on August 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM